Icelandair Passenger Reviews and Icelandair Passenger Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Icelandair customer review :  15 November 2011 by Guy Cooper    (USA)

LHR-KEF-JFK. The fare was 30% lower than a direct LHR-JFK flight so I liked that a lot. The 757 is a great aircraft and the ride was smooth, the legroom excellent, my seat extremely comfortable. I had to make a fast transfer to the Keflavik-JFK flight and I agree with another reviewer that the airport makes one feel like a yo-yo, up, down, up, down and finally up. Needs work. Airline staff and crew were first-rate, highly professional and a pleasure to fly with though I felt one should be able to pay cash and get change rather than using plastic for inflight purchases.

Icelandair customer review :  15 November 2011 by Peter Mair    (UK)

LHR to KEF return. Clean comfortable 757 in both directions, with pleasant cabin crew. I don't mind paying for a snack inflight, but Icelandair could try harder with what's on offer! Late going out, due to excessive traffic both in and out of LHR, and return due to late arrival of incoming aircraft, but time was made up by 20/30 minutes in both directions. The only problems were with unhelpful (KEF) and rude (LHR) ground staff. What a pity.

Icelandair customer review :  18 October 2011 by C Branham    (USA)

SEA-KEF-LHR and back. B757 planes and carry-on restrictions make loading and unloading faster and way more efficient than much larger planes other carriers fly. Legroom in Economy was good. The inflight staff on our flights were courteous and helpful. We appreciated that alcohol was not freely available. The only problem we had was that the video screen in one of our seats on the KEF-SEA flight did not work, and the window shade was broken and would not close. The flight attendants helped us find an alternative seat.

Icelandair customer review :  17 October 2011 by M McManus    (UK)

MAN-KEF-SEA return. From a negative point of view, the carry on baggage is very restrictive (just 6kg), you have to pay for inflight meals and you also have to pay for headphones for the in flight entertainment. You can get round this last part by bringing your own on the flight. However, the airline is clean, and has real character. You are given pillows with Icelandic lullabies written on them, and the headrests all have Icelandic proverbs on them. The crew are helpful and friendly, and ground crew at KEF airport were genuinely cheerful and helpful.

Icelandair customer review :  10 October 2011 by Nadia Gallas    (USA)

Stockholm to New York. The tickets were more expensive comparing to other airlines. We started boarding 35 mins after the scheduled departure time. We had to pay for basic meal on the 3.5hr flight from Stockholm to Reykjavik and on 5.5 hour flight from Reykjavik to New York. The flights were not pleasant with the staff too slow and busy all the time with processing payments for the services. I fly to Europe every year for a vacation and have never experienced the payment for basic meal.

Icelandair customer review :  10 October 2011 by Gisela Kerans (USA)

I travelled from SEA-KEF-FRA return. I was very disappointed not receiving any food on an overseas flight. My suitcase arrived in SeaTac dripping wet. It was raining in Iceland hard when I changed planes and I have a feeling our luggage was left in the rain without any protection.

Icelandair customer review :  1 October 2011 by L Salomaki   (Finland)

HEL-YYZ. Paid about 700 euros for the roundtrip. I'd rate the cabin crew ok but not comparable to other competitors. I'm using this airline simply for the shorter flying time 4 hrs + 5.5 hrs total and less chance of losing my luggage since Reykjavik airport is typically not congested with transit passengers. Seats are ok (I'm petite) and everyone has their own TV screen. Food and headphones are extra. I'd recommend this airline to travellers who want the shortest possible route to North America from Europe/Scandinavia.

Icelandair customer review :  30 September 2011 by S Wolf   (USA)

SEA-KEF-LHR in Economy Comfort. Reserved seats would change from week to week, and even though we had a reservation for 2 people, we ended up being assigned seats in adjacent rows. Seattle check-in was a breeze, and the use of the BA lounge pleasant. Note that the lounge only offers packaged snacks, but plenty of drinks. Our flight left 35 mins late due to some Exit sign bulbs that needed replacing on the aircraft, but announcements were frequent and useful. Crews were friendly and smiling and worked it out with other passengers who also wanted to sit together and were still in Saga Class seats. The seats were comfortable although the pitch was a meagre 33". A/V system was adequate, and meals were fine. Arrived Keflavik only 10 mins late. We had to go through Security Screening, then Passport Control into Iceland, then 3 mins later Passport Control out of Iceland. KEF-LHR also a decent flight, same seat jockeying, and a Turkey Sandwich for breakfast is an odd choice (but it was quite tasty). Due to air traffic control, we landed at Heathrow 35 mins late. Terminal 1 is a labyrinth of dreary corridors, and Passport Control lines were slow-moving. Staff were pleasant and by the time we got to Baggage Claim, our bags were there.

Icelandair customer review :  26 September 2011 by R Hasuko   (USA)

Wife and I flew roundtrip from Seattle to Frankfurt. Ticket price was attractive. Flight attendants were fine from Seattle to Reykjavik. From there on and on return trip they were distant, impatient and too busy to care about requests for water, pillows or blankets. Asked one male attendant for water, he told me to wait until service starts in 15 mins, then grudgingly gave me a cup of water because I insisted. On return flight two flight attendants told me to "wait a minute" before hearing my requests but never returned to hear them. Seats were tight, bottom cushion thin and hard - had to use pillows for cushion. Flights were delayed as a rule. Reykjavik airport, arrival, customs setup etc are a nightmare especially when our flight arrived late and we just made connecting flight on last call. This was our first and last trip using Icelandair.

Icelandair customer review :  12 September 2011 by J Ellingsen   (USA)

BOS-KEF-ARN return SVG-KEF-BOS. These 4 flights were without a doubt the most uncomfortable I have experienced. A tall person sitting in Economy Class does not know where to put his legs. I developed leg cramps on both transatlantic flights. You have to pay for food and drink and order from a very limited menu. The IFE system was not working properly. No games, outdated movies. The only thing that seemed to work were the commercials for tour operators around Iceland. The IFE would shut off completely at times. The flight attendants were not rude but seemed rather cold and exuded an air of superiority. First experience with Icelandair and definitely my last.

Icelandair customer review :  12 September 2011 by C Rock   (USA)

My family went on a cruise from Stockholm. Flights from Los Angeles-Seattle, Seattle-Reykjavik, no problem, Reykjavik to Stockholm had big problems, 30 mins after boarding they came onto the speaker saying we all need to get our stuff and get off the plane, we do not have a flight crew for today. No one knew where to get our luggage, how to rebook or when the next flight was. 3.5 hrs later we had our luggage and a new flight the next day. After arriving at hotel we found out we would have to pay for the hotel. This is extremely poor service considering the price we paid for our tickets.

Icelandair customer review :  8 September 2011 by D Hufford   (USA)

Booked Economy Comfort Dulles to Heathrow for a very good price. For that we got Business Class boarding, check-in, free bag check, entertainment system, beer/wine/champagne, meals, snacks and access to Business Class lounges at all airports. They bump you forward as Economy seats oversell, so two of four legs got bumped up to Saga class seats, though Economy Comfort seats were fine. No elbows in your ribs like regular Economy. Generous leg room. Flights all arrived within 15 mins of schedule, service attentive and mostly happy. Entertainment system was problematic outbound, fine on return. Boarding in Iceland was a bit chaotic and uncontrolled.

Icelandair customer review :  6 September 2011 by A Johansson   (Sweden)

Sweden to Washington DC return. Tickets were cheap, however you don't get any food during the flight, everything has to be paid for. On my return our flight was cancelled due to technical difficulties. Things were chaotic and there didn't seem to be a plan to deal with this. I was forced to stay for 48 hours extra at a hotel. The support were not located at the Dulles airport so they couldn't help me with my hotel accommodation. They only had one flight out from Dulles each day so their local personal arrived around 3pm. Yes it's cheap but if something goes wrong expect to have some extra trouble. I have now learnt that there is a big advantage of travelling with a big airline or at least airlines that have more than one flight each day at the specific airport.

Icelandair customer review :  31 August 2011 by K Anderson   (UK)

Our tickets were very expensive for the service we received. For four hundred pounds per ticket for the 2.5 hour flight from London Heathrow-Reykjavik, I expect a free meal, drinks and a working entertainment system, as well as a more generous checked bag allowance. Inflight entertainment didn't work on my monitor despite multiple re- starts. There was nothing to distinguish Icelandair from a more budget competitor. Keflavik airport is beautiful but badly designed - you check-in on the ground-floor, go through security on the second floor, duty free on the second floor, passport control down to the ground floor, queue at the gate on the ground floor, and then go to the second floor to board.

Icelandair customer review :  26 August 2011 by D Chiasson   (Canada)

Halifax to Reykjavik to Paris return. Meals were good quality and I was able to get an empty row. Service was extremely friendly and helpful. This airline is great for those who need to save money but still want a pleasant voyage.

Icelandair customer review :  17 August 2011 by John Owen   (UK)

Minneapolis to Manchester via Keflavik in Saga Class. Legroom very cramped, should be advertised as Premium Economy. Menu choice not is not inspiring. Priority boarding in Minneapolis was just a scramble so why pay extra money. Disembarkation at Manchester was a total shambles with the gate agent insisting that Glasgow bound passengers disembark first for a security check. She was shouting causing lot of pushing and shoving between the airbridge and aircraft. Even the flight attendant looked shocked.

Icelandair customer review :  15 August 2011 by A Merchant   (UK)

Flew Toronto to Manchester via Keflavik. Staff were friendly and leg room was adequate in Economy Class. I didn't like the lack of free food on the flight from Toronto, so had to sustain myself on tea and coffee. The flight from Keflavik to Manchester wasn't too pleasant with no communication or apology for the delay from staff. We started boarding 15 mins after the scheduled departure time. Icelandair does have a budget feel for a national carrier and would avoid using again.

Icelandair customer review :  10 August 2011 by Julie Everett   (USA)

Economy plus on Icelandair. We were highly disappointed with our seats, service and poor attitude of most of the flight attendants. Our seats were right by the door and bathroom. I would have been better off back in Economy and saved the money.

Icelandair customer review :  6 August 2011 by David Webster   (USA)

My wife and I travelled Boston to Oslo. The total trip consisted of 4 segments via Iceland, two each way. At check-in and on each succeeding segment we were reassigned to different seats and were unable to sit together. It was very disappointing.

Icelandair customer review :  4 August 2011 by I Perry   (USA)

SEA-KEF-HEL return. First leg (SEA-KEF) was okay, no free food provided, luckily brought my own headphones but at KEF there was a strike and ended up being delayed 11 hrs. No help at the airport, and another airline took me to HEL. On the return I was assured by Icelandair that another strike going on would not affect my flight. However at the airport I was re-routed from HEL-YYZ, then to YVR and then to SEA. Was home 24 hrs later than scheduled.

Icelandair customer review :  27 July 2011 by J Hartman   (USA)

5 of us flew SEA-KEF-CDG return. Our return flight out of CDG was (originally) delayed due to a problem with the plane. The passengers were given no information and told to go to a hotel at CDG where they fed us. 7 hrs later we were told to go back to the airport, re-checked our bags, went through security and waited there until midnight at which time we were told the flight was cancelled. Back to the hotel, woke at 6.30am went back to the airport where complete chaos ensued. There was 1 Icelandair employee trying to make plans for 150 passengers to get to a variety of destinations. Anyone who wanted to leave had to run around CDG trying to find seats with other carriers. The 5 of us left France 48 hrs after our original flight on two separate carriers. Icelandair has no employees on the ground (that we saw) in Paris. They out source ticket/bag handling to a group which is ineffectual and cannot help you.

Icelandair customer review :  20 July 2011 by Peter Hansen   (USA)

Icelandair to Scandinavia, departing from JFK connecting in KEF for STO and then from CPH-KEF and KEF-JFK, all Saga class. We took advantage of the free stopover in Iceland on our way back. I have only one complaint and that is that the departure hall in KEF crams several gates into a small area with almost no seats. Saga class is quite comfortable and the level of service was excellent. The cabin crew was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The seats are not lie-flat and don't even recline very far, but they are spacious and comfortable. The food from JFK-KEF was quite good, from KEF-JFK I had the sushi which was ok. In-flight entertainment was decent, although there were quite a few commercials for various Iceland tours. I wouldn't choose Icelandair for business travel, it's hard to get any sleep as the flight to KEF is somewhat short and the stopover consumes time. But for leisure travel to Europe, I would recommend Saga class for value-conscious travellers.

Icelandair customer review :  19 July 2011 by J Wu   (USA)

The trip from JFK-KEF was uneventful, other than the fact that I requested for my monitor to be reset twice to no prevail. It was our trip home from CDG that made it the worst trip ever. After everyone boarded the plane, we were told to take all our belongings and get off because of some problem with the plane. We waited for 1hr to find out flight was cancelled and we needed to pick up our baggage. Only problem was no one told us which carousel to go to and of course we waited another 1hr before we saw the luggage coming out. No one from Icelandair could be found; instead they sent us to the Alyzia counter to book another flight home. We weren't given any information other than that we would have to stay the night there. After staying 24 hrs at the airport we finally booked a flight that was departing in 1hr, only to find out that we weren't allowed to check in at such short notice. All in all, we waited at the airport for nearly 48 hrs without anyone ever giving us any information.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Icelandair Reviews Icelandair Passenger Opinions about Icelandair product Icelandair service standards