Iberia Customer Reviews and Iberia Passenger Trip Reports

Iberia Customer review :  7 February 2014 by K Mathias (Denmark)

Yesterday I was flying Copenhagen-Madrid-A Coruna. First, nothing is served on the plane, not even a cup of coffee, despite the flying time of 3.5 hours from CPH-Madrid. The planes are old-fashioned, poor leg space, no service. Upon arrival in Madrid Spanish officials were screaming in Spanish, unable to speak English. From a kind, fellow passenger I could understand that the flight to A Coruna was cancelled. We were given the options to get on a bus (approx 7 hours - from 9pm) or get a flight the next day (without hotel option). Most of us went for the bus option and picked up our luggage where after we waited for further instructions. By a total coincidence I talked to another Iberia official who seemed surprised, the flight was not cancelled, but I had to hurry extremely much to catch it now! In A Coruna they had lost my suitcase.

Iberia Customer review :  3 February 2014 by P Ashley (UK)

Flew MAD-UIO (Quito) - Reserved Exit Seats at extra cost, thank goodness we did this as the plane's seat pitch was appalling, Airbus 340-600, disgusting uncomfortable seats, filthy interior, meal tray was caked in left over food underneath. The plane's interior reminded me of what the Charter flights of the 70's used to look like, entertainment forget it, still stuck in the 70's, one screen in the middle no choice of individual entertainment, thank goodness for films on my i-Pad. Worst thing? the staff, miserable as sin, worst than this? the food indescribable, eat before you get on. Took the return flight from LIM-MAD, same experience.

Iberia Customer review :  25 January 2014 by A Carballude (USA)

JFK-MAD-SCQ. I normally fly every summer to Spain with Iberia. Normally my experience is awful, but last summer it was excellent. Unlike Iberia's Airbus A340-300/600, there were TVs at every seat. We had a choice of movies and TV shows. At check-in I was offered an upgrade to fly Business Class for 70 US dollars (great deal), I refused because I thought it wasn't going to be anything special. The first thing I'm going to suggest to everybody, If you're taller than 6'1" I would recommend you pay 70 dollars for the upgrade. I'm 6'3" and there wasn't much leg room for me, especially when the person in front of me puts their seat in a reclining position. The flight attendants were much nicer and show that they care, unlike my previous experiences. Now I completely recommend Iberia, they have improved a lot.

Iberia Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Hans Roloff (Germany)

LIS-MAD-DUS in Economy, both on Airbus A320. The Madrid-Dusseldorf leg was performed by Iberia Express. I got roughly what I paid for: check-in perfect, suitcase priority checked (and it arrived well and early on the belt in DUS). Lisbon-Madrid leg on time, one hour flight with "service for money" which I did not use. No newspapers or entertainment at all, seat pitch unbelievably tight (I am 183cms/6ft1'), but for an hour I survived. Second leg to DUS on Friday evening - full "weekend load", same seating problems. For a flight of 2.5 hours it is claustrophobic, particularly when a passenger in the seat in front believes she is entitled to recline her seat, then you are just like a sardine in the box. Departure was 20 minutes late, we carried this delay into DUS. Baggage delivery was swift, far better than usual. No newspapers, no entertainment (seems that the respective equipment is inactivated - I had "appreciated" it many times before on Iberia, even without headphones). Seems Iberia did install further rows after changing to the new slim Recaro seats that are also in use at e.g. Lufthansa. The overhead reading lights are still in the old intervals and sometimes do not light the passengers reading material anymore but his/her neck or just the back of the seat. Service is just the one of a low cost airline. I travelled on Oneworld points, thus I paid "only fees and taxes", but that was already too much. Next time it will be Swiss or Lufthansa (the original, not Germanwings) again. The investment of additional points or money to upgrade into Iberia business class does not make sense because the seat pitch and the lack of newspapers are the very same.

Iberia Customer review :  20 January 2014 by M Dye (UK)

LHR-MAD-EZE, January 2014. I'd read a few reviews of Iberia before travelling with them a few weeks ago, and I'd also spoken to a number of friends who'd taken a long haul flight with them to South America. I wasn't expecting much based on these reviews and conversations, however I'm happy to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The short hop down to Madrid was fine. You don't get complimentary drinks and food like you do on British Airways and some other full-fare European carriers, but that's fine really as its not a long flight. The flight from Madrid to Buenos Aires was on a newly refurbished A340-600 which meant it came with a personal entertainment system at each seat in economy, which is exactly what you need for a 12hr flight! It wasn't a bad system either, with a modern touch screen. It could have done with a few more films, compared to other systems such as Cathay Pacific of LAN it didn't have the widest choice, but it was fine for me as this was an overnight that left at 00.30. The system was a bit glitchy to begin with and only started to properly work about 90mins into the flight. Other aspects of the flight were ok, the food was pretty basic and what you might call stereotypical airline food. The staff were fine and did a good job. Would I fly with Iberia again? If I was going to Latin America and the price was right i'd consider them, yes. I think this is the start of a long overdue refurb for the Spanish national carrier and I think they will only get better from here on in.

Iberia Customer review :  16 January 2014 by C Littlejohn (UK)

Flew Gran Canaria - Madrid, Iberia Express business class. Was not expecting too much with their express offering but pleasantly surprised. Quick check in and security, on time departure of this full flight on a new and clean A320. Business configured 2X2 with middle seat blocked. Pillows and blankets available. Service was delivered by hand with nice touches like post take off Cava and a tablecloth. Hot meal served by smart and competent crew (however meal tray is very like an economy meal with a foil container and no choice.) Chocolates offered before landing. Drinks were served in real glass however I believe they do not carry spirits, only beer and wine. Priority tagged bag first off.

Iberia Customer review :  14 January 2014 by K Adu-Gyamfi (UK)

Bought return ticket from BA from London Heathrow to Accra. Flew out on BA and enjoyed normal good service. Return leg from Accra to London was on Iberia with transit via Madrid, BA's OneWorld partners. I was initially happy to use Iberia - I relished the chance to pass through Madrid i.e. to sample new language, culture etc. Big mistake. There was no inflight entertainment on the over 5-hour flight to Madrid (ditto on the 2-hour Madrid to London leg). Only breakfast was served for the entire duration. Leg room was very poor. On the Madrid-London flight, you could only get food if you purchased it. Felt especially for mothers with young children. Would have been thoughtful if Iberia advised passengers to bring their own entertainment and food/drink on board. On the plus side, really enjoyed my interactions with Spanish airport workers and co-passengers, who were friendly and helpful. The return journey had all the hallmarks of a "no frills" budget airline. However, the ticket was purchased at a premium (almost £1200 for the return journey in Economy class). Unless things change with Iberia, they would dilute the BA brand and it is only a matter of time before customers go elsewhere. I certainly wont be flying on Iberia in the near future!

Iberia Customer review :  10 January 2014 by R Franklin (UK)

Buenos Aires-London via Madrid. Have flown this route regularly over the years with Iberia and other airlines. This flight was a massive improvement on Iberia's previous standards. Food was tasty, cabin crew friendly and helpful, plane clean and had obviously been refitted with new seats and entertainment system. The latter was amazing not only compared to Iberia's previously non-existent IFE but is well up there with best in the industry (ie Emirates). Lots of choice, great touch screen and sound quality. Don't know if this is the result of the BA merger but its a big improvement. Keep it up Iberia and people might even start choosing you when you're not the cheapest!

Iberia Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Ng Peter Paul (USA)

JFK-MAD return Nov 2013. IB now charges $40 to select seats which I did not. Seats assigned at airport. Allowed check in online from New York but not from Madrid. Outbound A340 window seat foot space limited by equipment but good 32" pitch, no IFE. Inbound new A330 tighter seats so they compensate with good PTV. I flew IB two years before and A340 aircraft was falling apart, doors and seat trays held together by duct tape. Edible food and complimentary wine. Inbound boarding at MAD gate agent asked to check my carry on due to full plane. My small bag was among first out the carousel at JFK.

Iberia Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Daniel Seidenman (Israel)

Flew from TLV via MAD to LIM. TLV-MAD was an extremely old plane. No entertainment at all for 5 hours. No leg room at all. I am only 176 cm and could not sit comfortably. Luckily no one was next to me so had a seat empty. MAD-LIM-MAD. 2 different aircraft's. These are 11-12 hour flights. No personal TV (the LIM-MAD was a new plane and no personal screen). Tried to check in online. I could have purchased the tickets on a code share with LAN and paid a bit more and would have been much happier.

Iberia Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Karl Moosbrugger (Austria)

FRA-MAD-FRA in Economy operated by Iberia Express. Plane was new and modern, crew friendly (though zero service unless you pay for a glass of tea) but legroom was terrible. Perhaps with the exception of a certain low budget airline I haven't been on a plane where I (1.92m) was unable to sit just because I could not squeeze my legs in. Fortunately the first flight was half empty and on return I chose an aisle seat. For the legroom issue I will not fly them again.

Iberia Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Reneau Randy (USA)

IB 6274, 25 Dec, Chicago to Madrid. I found everything much better than many reviews claimed. I was expecting everything to be bad but was pleasantly surprised. It was a newer Airbus and I found the leg room good since I'm 6ft and was worried. Now I must say the leg room in the cheap seats going to Spain from Chicago was less than the trip back. Plane was clean and smelled nice. I fly American frequently and would trade Iberia for American any day.

Iberia Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Lorenzo Dottorini (Italy)

Mexico to Madrid, 12 hours of unacceptable service, seats uncomfortable, no monitor on the seats - 12 hours without watching a movie, we could do nothing! Staff were impolite, my wife is vegetarian and we asked for something else to eat and the answer was "You had to order it 24 hours before the flight", unbelievable!

Iberia Customer review :  3 January 2014 by A Yunis (Spain)

Very bad experience on flight IB6844, Buenos Aires-Madrid on Dec 31st. Iberia had me travel 12hrs at night with my baby in my arms even though I had booked a bassinet 3 months ahead. According to the staff, this was due to a change of equipment. They did not warn me at anytime before embarking. They did not offer anything (not even an extra pillow) and made no effort to improve our comfort under the excuse that the flight was overbooked. When I suggested they disembark me and reschedule me on a flight in which I could have a bassinet, they made no effort to check on which flight I could actually travel and threatened me to call authorities if I did not make my mind immediately despite their inability to provide basic information. I carried on with this flight to avoid ending up stranded for several days. This was just surreal and a very unpleasant experience. On the bright side, passengers around me were comforting and helpful.

Iberia Customer review :  30 December 2013 by R Koehler (Canada)

ORD-MAD-TFN-MAD-ORD. In a word: horrific All flights (every one of them) left late and did not attempt to make up the time in flight. Boarding was chaotic. It would make sense to load the flight from the back to the front, but not with Iberia. Seemingly random assignment of 'groups', resulting in lots of lost time while folks at the front of the plane get their stuff in the overhead bins, holding up everyone else trying to get to the back of the plane. Staff was sulky and unhelpful. Service was poor. Security lapse by Iberia staff at the gate caused a twenty minute delay which resulted in a short connection time in Madrid. Though we made it to the gate with twenty minutes to spare (because we ran the whole way), we were not allowed to board. Lost a work day because of it. I would rather walk than take Iberia again.

Iberia Customer review :  30 December 2013 by Frances Sawley (UK)

Madrid to Rio de Janeiro, 27th December 2013, IB6025. Truly awful: the long haul equivalent of Ryanair. Flew from Heathrow via Madrid to Rio de Janeiro. Meal preferences not recorded (despite checking 3 times) so nothing to eat. Old fashioned plane, fixtures and fittings to match. No inflight entertainment (audio or visual) as both malfunctioning and despite being asked to be seated away from children I was surrounded by 6 including 2 newborns right next to me who cried more or less the whole journey. With nothing to watch, the flight was rowdy. I am a very frequent flier, at least once a week if not more - and this was truly one of the worst flying experiences that I've ever had.

Iberia Customer review :  19 December 2013 by Julian Saura (Norway)

MAD-SCL, A340-600, 30/12/2012. I arrived the T4 at Barajas at 21.00 and checked in efficiently at the Business counters with professional and polite staff. From there I went through the fast track security control, also efficient and quick. My transfer from T4 to T4S went smooth. At the T4S I went to the Iberia business lounge which was spacious with great food and wines and with good views. After eating I had a rest in one of the beds in the quiet room. At 23.30 I proceeded to my gate. Boarding was on time and I was one of the first to enter. This was a very new Airbus 340-600. My seat was 1 A. I received a personal greeting, together with a glass of champagne, which was very pleasant. Slightly turbulent on-time take off. When airborne the pilot greeted us and informed us that the nights 13.20 hrs route would be: Lisbon-Canary Islands-Sao Luis-Tocantin-Santiago del Estero-Santiago de Chile. The sky was clear all the way over the Atlantic, with some turbulence when approaching Brazilian territory. The seat was a fully flat bed, with great width and length, very comfortable to sleep in. The cell phone charger did not work, but staff went "out of their way" to fix it. Food was great. I had scallops. The staff was personal and pleasant all the way. All in all a great business class experience! We touched ground at 09.30 in Santiago to a beautiful summer morning.