Hawaiian Airlines Passenger Reviews and Hawaiian Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  20 May 2011 by Peter Pomeranze   (USA)

Honolulu-Manila Business Class. Very disappointed to note that Hawaiian Airlines new, upgraded inflight service is a real downgrade. They've ditched the tapas style menu for a slow food service. In addition they are no longer catered by Chef Gannon and for the first time in years I was served bad food on Hawaiian Airlines. The flight attendants were wonderful but clearly embarrassed by the downgrade. In addition the new printed menus are tacky. Also time to retire the 767. Just not up to standard for a 10 hour plus flight!

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  18 May 2011 by Chee   (Australia)

HNL-LAS-HNL on new A330. Hawaiian is probably the best of the US carriers. Both flights full but service was good, with frequent water runs - although the complimentary food was awful, served in a cardboard box!

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  15 May 2011 by J Rose   (USA)

LAX-HNL-SYD-HNL-LAX.Flew from the US to Australia on Hawaiian in first/business on a discounted fare. Seat comfort is significantly better than US legacy carriers domestic first class, but well short of modern international business class standards, but comfortable enough for the long flights - an old style business class product. Service and food exceptional. The cabin staff go the extra mile in attentiveness up front and the tapas style menus were creative and tasty. IFE is good, not great. Lounges in LAX and HNL are dreadful but HA business class passengers can access the Air New Zealand lounge in SYD, which is exceptional.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  9 May 2011 by C Donkin   (Australia)

Honolulu to Sydney. Worst service of any airline I have flown. I am a vegetarian, did not have an option for me except a few bags of chips. When asked for a can of coke they said they were nearly out and could only give us a cup. Cabin staff unhelpful and not friendly.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  28 April 2011 by Sue Madge   (Australia)

SYD-HNL-SEA and back via HNL to SYD. Whilst I agree with some of the comments re the indifference of cabin staff (I had to ask for water after 2 hours on the ground owing to a mechanical problem) I will continue to fly Hawaiian because baggage allowance is the best in the air and I have always found check-in staff helpful. Two seats outside the aisles are the best way for a couple to fly, no need to constantly wake a stranger to use the facilities or stretch my legs, food is to my taste, good safety record.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  26 April 2011 by V Hall   (Australia)

SYD-HNL flight was great and seating comfortable. HNL to SYD was full and extremely uncomfortable. I was seated next to a young fat boy, I paid for my seat and feel entitled to the whole seat I paid for. When an airlines allocates seat, they should be aware of the size of the person. I'm petite and fit comfortably in a seat, but when an oversized person is put beside be, that takes 1/4 of my seat. When I complained the hostess said 'sorry we are fully booked'.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  15 April 2011 by Robert Main   (Australia)

HNL-SYD on B767-300ER. I bought a discount Economy ticket, but was able to upgrade at the gate to Business Class for $400. It was well worth it. HA Business Class seat is an old style business class seat, not a reclining flat bed. Nevertheless, with the spacious pitch and large foot rest, it was comfortable for dozing. IFE is a portable media player, which was fine since no one was seated next to me. It wasn't stable there. The movie selection was not first run, but it was adequate for a ten hour flight. There was no power outlet in the seat for my laptop. The food and service were excellent. The meal was a selection of three dishes from an assortment, and were delicious. The wine selection was ok, but the mixed drinks were fun, as you would expect in Hawaii. Most importantly, the service was exceptional, friendly and helpful

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  13 April 2011 by A Mankowski   (USA)

Since Hawaiian Airlines began charging a fee for checked bags, the volume of carry-on luggage has become quite unreasonable. Last month ny husband and I traveled first class from Portland to Honolulu and back. As first class passengers and because my husband uses a wheelchair, we boarded first. When the coach passengers began to board my husband and I were literally smacked in the head and shoulders with carry-on luggage - large tote bags, overloaded backpacks, and even a child safety seat. We had to lean into the space between the seats in order to avoid injury. When I got home I contacted Hawaiian Airlines "customer advocacy" program because I wanted to report my experience. A very bored representative took my report and told me someone would get back to me. Three weeks later, I had not heard a word from the company. I called again. This time a super-rude rep with minimal language skills told me they had no record of my prior call. When I began again to explain about being smacked in the head and shoulders by carry-on luggage, she said, 'Well, I sorry you have inconvenience". Now that Alaska Airlines is flying non-stop from Portland to Honolulu, I will never fly Hawaiian Airlines again.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  4 April 2011 by R Green   (Canada)

Honolulu to Lihue return. Going out the plane was full, service was efficient and friendly. Coming back I flew standby, but was told in advance that there many seats on the plane and that I would have no problem getting on. When I arrived, the plane was full and the ground agent did not give me a boarding pass until the plane was fully boarded. She had me running to get on the plane, even though she was fully aware of the vacant seat, and she could have given it to me minutes earlier. When I boarded the plane, the flight attendant approached me and told me they were all waiting for me and that I needed to hurry up!

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  15 March 2011 by B Miller   (USA)

LAX-HNL. The aircraft was downgraded from a new A330 to a well worn 767. Most of the FAs were helpful and did their best in the cramped and crowded aisles. A problem with the galley ovens meant there would be no hot meals served. Those of us seated up front were served cold and tasteless appetizers and nothing more. This was truly not Hawaiian Airlines at its best, and not worth the $349 upgrade paid prior to boarding.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  14 March 2011 by M Ropa   (USA)

SFO-HNL-SFO in first class. I have to say their service should be a standard for all US based airlines. Outstanding customer service and food was amazing.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  27 February 2011 by Pete Turner   (Australia)

SYD-HNL-SYD with connecting flights to the Big Island. Check-in at Sydney was efficient, and in the air, service was good. Food wasn't but my expectations were not high given the price of the ticket. Connecting flight to Kona and return went without a hitch but the return leg to Sydney was a nightmare. Had to queue for 40 minutes to check-in at Honolulu, and though we boarded on time, departure was delayed 45 minutes to due "flight path" issues we were told. Turns out the plane was overloaded and they removed some of the baggage, including ours, which they obviously knew about at Honolulu but didn't tell us. If they had, we could have made our connecting flight at Sydney. Instead we were left to flounder at the carousel, missed our flight, and had to spend a night in Sydney along with maybe 50 others. Hawaiian paid for the hotel (20 km from the airport) and baggage arrived three days later but I won't be flying with them again if I have a choice.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  22 January 2011 by Bill McFarlane   (Canada)

Disappointed that on a short flight between Honolulu and Maui we were charged 20 dollars a piece for two small bags that could have been carried on but for the fact we had to bring articles not allowed in the carry-on bags in the cabin. We will be charged the same to return - this is very cheap and I feel this airline is nickel and diming customers given the already high fares charged for inter island flights.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  15 January 2011 by M Lamy   (Australia)

Sydney to Honolulu return. Check-in at Sydney was good and flight on time. The staff SYD-HNL may as well not have been there. One female attendant was extremely unfriendly and really did not want to be there. Food was mediocre at best but it was an overnight flight so not so bad I guess as most of the time was spent sleeping! Honolulu to Sydney was the opposite. The staff went out of their way to oblige in all requests. Service with a smile and there was plenty of it. Drinks frequent, meals were ok and flight went smoothly. It is an older style plane and not the most comfortable but I was prepared for all the little negatives.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  14 January 2011 by Phil Cattling   (UK)

Helpful check-in people, brilliant crew. Nice cabin, clean, fresh aircraft. Best economy airline in USA, by a long way.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  9 January 2011 by Neill Bell   (USA)

LAS-HNL-LIH. Midnight madness flight out of Las Vegas at 1.40pm. We could not drop our bags until after midnight as they opened late, had only two or three staff on hand and they were dealing with would be stand-bys, leaving ticketed passengers to stand and wait and wait. Finally got onboard and got off. The new A330s are good planes. Seat back screens in all classes, clean and as comfortable as economy gets. Arrived in Honolulu early morning and transferred over to the inter-island section. small plane arrived on time, the flight over to Kaua'i was a mere 20 minutes but was so rough, no beverage service was attempted. Not a problem. On the way back it was all pretty smooth. The meals/snacks on the long flights are small but very welcome. There were many drink rounds and the staff did appear to genuinely care about the customers. If only they could sort out staffing on the mainland!

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  18 December 2010 by Eliézer Fonseca   (Brazil)

HNL to LAX, on Boeing 767. I booked a window seat, but for reason that I can't understand (my english was poor!), the staff asked me to seat in the middle seat of main line of seats, with two fat men on each side of me. It was terrible, They pressured me all time, I was sleepy, the flight was full and I had nowhere to move to.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  4 October 2010 by R Hopkins   (Australia)

Sydney to Honolulu and purchased internal flights to Kahului and Hilo. SYD-HNL was good considering the price paid, if you compare to other airlines offering the same route. The staff were friendly and attentive. The inter-island flights departed on time and the service was again enjoyable- and loved the views of the Hawaiian Islands.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  7 September 2010 by E Mabley   (USA)

LAX-HNL-ITO return economy and first. LAX-HNL segment on an old but immaculate 767-300. Bulkhead row with plenty of legroom and enough room to change a nappy (diaper) on the floor. Hawaiian Airlines is the only US airline to offer complimentary food in all classes on domestic flights - food was quite tasty. The inflight entertainment was average - for $15 you can rent a cumbersome hand-held unit with 12-15 movies, 12-15 TV programmes, music videos and audio tracks. The $15 is pretty steep but it's better than standard IFE on other US airlines. HNL-ITO and ITO-HNL on B717-200s which have assigned seats and first class cabin. Service very good and beverages ae offered on the 40 minute flights. HNL-LAX segment with the new A330-200. We upgraded to first class for $300 per seat - recliner seats have adjustable legrests and footrests and recline to about 130 degrees. The controls are non-electronic and the legrests are a bit difficult to push back in place. Food service very good. Hawaiian's first class is very good value for flights to the USA but does not compete with Korean, Qantas, Delta or the Asian airlines on flights to the Pacific Rim. Service on all flights is cordial and friendly, and FA's are more professional and customer-friendly than other US airlines.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  7 September 2010 by Pam Harris   (Australia)

Sydney to Oahu, Oahu to Las Vegas return. The crew were great. When we landed back in Hawaii from Vegas another passenger accidentally took my friends cabin bag. Within half an hour the crew had located the passenger (he was well on his way home along the freeway apparently.) The luggage was returned intact.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  22 August 2010 by S Healey   (UK)

SFO-HNL. Boarding procedure seemed a bit haphazard and gate area became crowded but eventually everyone boarded the plane. Gate staff friendly as were flight attendants. Premium meal offered both ways - this is a cashless airline so you need a credit card to pay for this. We were directed at SFO to use the self service check in but were advised not to do this or use online check in as we are international pax. As we are from the UK we did not have to pay any baggage fees to and from the Mainland (had to show check in staff our flight details from the UK). Hawaiian Airlines website unbelievably does not as yet have the ability to process applications from passengers in the UK so we used their UK based agent to book our flights. Flight back to SFO ten days later left late due to potential problem with aircraft (rectified on the ground). Hand baggage was weighed at check in at Honolulu but not at SFO.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  8 August 2010 by J Ball   (USA)

Flight crowded but ok. However, very dissatisfied with Hawaiian Airlines baggage policy. If you are flying with them multiple times, you have to wait 24 hours before each flight to prepay to save $2 that that offer for prepaying. So, with 8 people traveling from New England to Hawaii, not only are we not allowed one lousy piece of luggage but we can't even prepay unless we track down a computer in California and on each island that we visit because you are not allowed to call in to pay or to do it earlier than 24 hours. Our Luggage bill for each person to bring 1 piece of luggage adds up to $528. How ridiculous!

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  27 July 2010 by D McNeil   (Australia)

Check-In was ok and that's about it. The crew were your typical US carrier, and everyone was just a pain to them. They threw the meal bag and any request for a drink was treated with a grunt. They sat in the rear galley for the rest of the flight.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  22 July 2010 by M Gorczynski   (Poland)

Honolulu-Hilo-Honolulu on the same day. Low price, flights on time, good Boeing 717. Soft drink served on 40mins flight.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  17 July 2010 by K Kennedy   (USA)

I think this is one of the few airlines that still serves meals at no charge when flying from the mainland. Flight attendants were accomodating and helpful. No problems at all with check in, flight left on time, and we were as comfortable as one can be in economy class for a long flight.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  12 July 2010 by L Reinstein   (USA)

LAX-HNL-KOA return First Class. LAX Premier Club Lounge very small and basic with limited food and drink options. Transpacific flights on new A330 but old style reclining seats with a footrests a big let-down. IFE screen and choices very good. Catering quite tasty for domestic first class, though quality was much higher out of LAX than HNL. Flight attendants professional and attentive. Inter-island first class is not value unless you're on a through fare. HNL airport is in serious need of a make-over - old, poorly run, counter-intuitive, muted staff, and barebones lounges. For a US carrier, HA is not a bad operation, but not all that special in any way either.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  1 July 2010 by E Coquia   (USA)

LAX-HNL roundtrip First class on new A330. Good seat and legroom though expected more recline for newer plane that they plan to use for future international routes. Service was great! Meal was good (get to pick 3 of 5 choices on menu). IFE great, enjoyed the selection of movies and programming. Flew coach back on new A330 and pretty impressed - more legroom and slightly better recline than older Hawaiian 767s. Have to pay for movies/videos on IFE in coach though. One of the few domestic airlines that still serve complimentary meals in coach.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  6 June 2010 by D Burr   (UK)

Las Vegas to Honolulu , good on time flight, coach seating adequate, best seats for legroom are 26AC or 26HJ on Boeing 767 aircraft. First Class seating looked good, but not worth paying anything over $250 for upgrades on US Mainland to Hawaii flights, would obviously be happy to pay more for longer distance flights. Good choice of meal, you can have a free meal or choose to pay for an upgraded meal, which I did and was a good move, free coffees and soft drinks. Very friendly and smiling cabin crew, great start to Hawaiian trip.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  2 June 2010 by J Biddle   (Australia)

Sydney to Honolulu, flight was most uncomfortable seating. Temperature in the cabin was extremely warm and unbearable. On our return flight, a more comfortable trip seating wise but the cabin was extremely cold throughout the 10 hour flight. Even the thin blankets supplied did not do us any good. Everyone was dragging out extra jackets to put on. The aircraft also left from the domestic terminal and we were unable to take advantage of buying duty free there because no one told us prior that once we booked in we couldn't get to the International Terminal to purchase goods. All international flights should leave from the International Terminal.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  28 May 2010 : by Gordon James   (Australia)

Honolulu to Las Vegas. Very helpful guy at Honolulu airport got us through the boarding process fast, this seemed to set the standard on our flight everything went well. I have flown on a number of American airlines any this flight was as good as I have had to date. The food is typical USA airline style but far from the worst I have had. Only one complaint this was the coldest flight I have ever been on, in over 35 years of flying it is the first time I have ever found it necessary to wrap myself in an airline blanket, 90% of the passengers were similarly wrapped in blankets. My wife asked why the plane was so cold but none of the crew seemed to know.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  26 May 2010 : by William White   (USA)

SFO-HNL-KOA and back. Hawaiian advertises their outstanding service and free meals and beverages. They kept changing our flights and departure times, I had to call them and rebook us on a flight that would not arrive 8 hours later than the flight I paid for. At the airport (SFO) there was no gate information, we had to ask our way through to find out which the departure gate is. When we started boarding, there was still no gate information. The staff seemed to be very unmotivated, they had different groups for boarding, but no one actually enforced that. By the time we got to our seats almost everyone in front of us was already there and all luggage bins were full. Hidden charges: You have to pay extra for each piece of luggage you want to check in. On the way to KOA no one cared about our carry-on luggage. BUT, on the way back they were inspecting every single piece of luggage, checking the measurements and the weight. If it was larger or heavier than the allowed size/weight for carry-on items, you had to check it in (and pay of course). The meals nothing special, I probably would have been better off with home made sandwiches. It was not worth the higher price we paid. On the plane the service was okay, I wouldn't call it outstanding, you get the same service as on almost any other airline. On the ground the service was very bad - staff very unhelpful and unfriendly. Hawaiian's "service" doesn't make up for the higher air fare that you are paying. flying with United or Alaska Airlines when you fly to Hawaii. The have direct flights to certain islands, this way you don't waste your time in Honolulu waiting for a connecting flight.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  19 May 2010 : by A Santos   (Philippines)

MNL-SEA and LAS-MNL. Overall, a disappointing experience and we won't make the mistake of booking it again. It was really like taking a domestic US flight across the Pacific when there are so many options on international airlines. The service, amenities, and aircraft are not comparable. Manila check-in was ok but they had problems with non-working printers and were unable to print all of our boarding passes (they told us to just pick up the last one in HNL because they couldn't figure it out). We boarded the 20+ year-old 767 with overhead bins sized from the 80's, no IFE, and ageing cabin. The flight attendants all appeared to be senior and had a lot of attitude. We overheard one flight attendant insult an elderly passenger behind her back because the passenger requested to change her new blanket which had hairs on it. The mocking and poor attitude of flight attendants which other reviewers below referred to was true on our flight. To watch movies, they rented personal DVD players for $15 per segment. With a change of plane in HNL that meant 4 segments round-trip or $60 per person to watch movies. When we inquired if there was a seafood option (the only choices were chicken and pork), the flight attendant replied they used to have special meals but no longer offer them. On the return flight from LAS we stopped over in HNL for a night but were charged baggage fees for that segment because it was technically a domestic flight - $25 per bag. Finally we took off from HNL-MNL and weren't in the air for 30 minutes when the captain announced a faulty generator requiring us to return to HNL (again a 20+ year-old 767). However, we had to burn fuel first so we flew in circles at 7,000 ft for 4 hours with the landing gear and flaps fully extended - an uncomfortable ride. The flight attendants were plain combative with understandably worried and upset passengers. Six hours later we landed in HNL again. They arranged another plane with a new crew and we arrived in MNL 8 hours late. To make matters worse, they left behind baggage of at least 50 passengers in HNL so there was an ugly queue of irate passengers at 2:30 am after an 8 hour delay. We received our luggage two days later. We wrote a letter to Hawaiian but they did not respond. All in all, if we had flown on CX or KE or OZ via HKG or SEL to the mainland, we could've avoided a tremendous amount of hassle (eg. having to collect your bags and check-in again in HNL), being nickel and dimed (eg. luggage fees and DVD rental fees), poor service (being insulted by flight attendant), and delays from old, faulty aircraft. I should also mention I felt bad for the business class passengers who paid $2,000+ for their seats. The seats in business class are domestic US first class seats - very little recline and leg room. You have many choices and until Hawaiian actually starts caring about their transpacific passengers, we are not flying them again.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  11 May 2010 : by A Jackson   (USA)

First Class LAX to HNL-LIH. First class was mediocre. The first class cabin was quite crowded, seats weren't that large. Nothing was electric on the seat, an older manual style. The entertainment consisted of small video units passed out to each passenger -entertainment choice was terrible. The food was ok, drinks were fine. The staff was exceptionally nice, and the cabin was clean. It was all quite mundane and functional.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  11 April 2010 : by M Lopez   (USA)

Honolulu to Manila. They made us wait for hours outside the boarding area by the hallway with no seats- in Honolulu. They only let us in the boarding area room when it was time for us to board the plane. In Manila they only have 3-people checking in. It took me 2.5 hours to get checked in. There were a lot of empty seats at the back and they would not let any of us transfer since they are all reserved for their attendants - one whole row for each attendant. It doesn't make any sense - we were all cramped in the forward cabin and every time I use the bathrooms at the back - these reserved seats were not used by the attendants. I overheard the attendants congregating at the back making fun of the Filipino passengers - they copied their strong accents and made fun of their requests. I thought that this was so unprofessional. I guess because the fare is cheaper, you get cheaper service. The only thing I like about the flight is its direct flight - the schedule is so convenient. Food is average, nothing special.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  22 February 2010 : by M Szyszko   (Australia)

SYD-HNL-SYD on B767-300. Very pleasant flight with good service, entertainment and food. Comfortable seats with very good leg room. Cabin crew polite and friendly. Cabin kept clean. Plenty of water offered during flight.

Hawaiian Airlines customer review :  8 February 2010 : by P Vickroy   (USA)

SJC-HNL-LIH. I booked our flight 3 months in advance - only to find a month later that the company offered a Hawaiian Plus fare for $200 per ticket cheaper than the ones I had purchased. This Plus fare included 2 free checked bags as well! The Hawaiian Plus fare was not even offered at the time I made the reservation. The checked baggage for our trip will cost an additional $100! When talking to customer service and asking that our bag fee be waived, I was told by the service representative and supervisor that they could not do this. It is amazing that the two service representative did not recognize how the airline "Policy" makes little sense. Future travel on this airline is highly doubtful. The trip was to celebrate my wife 50th birthday and all I can do cross my fingers and hope the rest of the experience with Hawaii will be positive.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9