Hawaiian Airlines Passenger Reviews and Hawaiian Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Russell Conyers    (Bermuda)

I flew HA436 first class from SYD to HNL on 12th October on a brand new A330 and had a very good experience - attentive crew - great food preparation and meal and beverage service and good in-flight entertainment. The only drawback was the lack of a lie flat bed for a 9 hour flight-the seat was comfortable but if HA pulled out those cradle type seats in First and removed the economy seats in the second smaller cabin and installed lie flat beds in both cabins they would have a great product and sweep away their competition.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  17 October 2013 by B Kero    (Australia)

Hilo to Sydney via Honolulu. Web check in went well, purchased preferred seats for Honolulu to Sydney, cost $75, seat 14B. Hilo to Honolulu, HA 121, 8.50am departure, seat 1B, first class. Lounge at Hilo very basic, free wifi, coffee and soft drink. Pre boarding done correctly, on time departure, quick 50 minute flight, just enough time for a coffee and a biscuit. Honolulu to Sydney, HA 451, seat 14B, the reserved seating bulk head seat cost $75 extra. Boarding called in correct order, except kids get priority again. My bulk head seat was as spacious as an economy seat can be. I would have preferred the seats in row 11 but they were blocked for the entire 24 hour period during check in. Not long after take off a very friendly stewardess offered drinks and 2 hours into flights refills and dinner served, would give this food a 4 out of 5 for economy. There was a lot of young families traveling with babies, all were reasonably behaved for a 10 hour flight. There of course was one family who thought it was ok for their children to play a portable DVD player without head phones so all the cabin could hear it.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by B Kero    (Australia)

5th October, SYD-HNL-ITO. This is my 10th year as a dedicated Hawaiian air traveller for long distance trip SYD to HNL and Hilo also to LA and Vegas also started to use their HNL to JFK this year and looking forward to their expansion with new aircraft purchase planned. Today's trip started on 4th October at 2000 when I attempted to use the web check in 24 hours prior with no success. I am lucky I am a gold Pualani member so I called their dedicated line after about 25 minutes they were able to upgrade my SYD-HNL flight and my HNL-Hilo which is good as business on Hawaiian is normally very good. 5th October, check in was a breeze with the dedicated business and Pualani member line and with express pass through immigration, I was In the Air New Zealand lounge in no time. This Air NZ lounge has improved over the past few years it was getting tired and food mediocre. But gladly today much better I really like the self help bar. My flight is scheduled for 2000 departure, I noticed in bound flight arrived on time. Boarding started on time and again children first before business - this always annoys me. Once onboard was offered welcome champagne or juice, the seats are wide leather seats but don't lie flat but are still very comfortable and they have power for your iPad or iPhone. Take off on time and as soon as we levelled off drinks started to flow I had a few chivas regals and before dinner there also was a cheese plate. 3 options for dinner, I had the veal and catch of the day and it was fantastic. Breakfast was strawberry yoghurt, fresh fruit plate country style potatoes and crab and scallion omelette, also fantastic. The cabin crew were very attentive and professional, I managed to get a good couple of hours sleep and rested for my next flight HNL to Hilo. Got through customs fairly fast but maybe they could looking into express path for business passengers like in Sydney. At the transfer desk no Hawaiian staff there to send my bags to Hilo so had to take them to the inter island terminal myself. Once there was easy to drop off bags and head to the priority security line. Honolulu to Hilo again seat 1B a quick 50 minute flight no problems arrived on time and bags were quickly available. Over all a 5 star trip very pleased and look forward to many more Hawaiian trips.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  4 October 2013 by E Mallari    (USA)

San Francisco-Honolulu-San Francisco in September 2013. Outbound Flight HA11 boarded on time, boarding was organized, flight left and arrived on time. Newish Airbus A330-200's economy cabin was stylish and comfortable. Basic IFE offered little entertainment, you have to pay extra for movies and TV programs. Not a problem for me and my wife as we brought our own respective iPads. The outbound basic "free" meal consisted of a fruit tray, a cookie, a Hawaiian chocolate candy in a wrapper, water and juice or soda. Upgraded meal was $14 for a hamburger or a Chicken salad with a few extras on the meal tray but we felt those were not good values for their prices therefore we bought two sandwiches in the airport before our flight. Flight attendants were pleasant and they offered free Mai Tais and Hawaiian chips about one hour before landing in HNL. Total of three drink runs during the 5 1/2-hour flight. Return flight HA12 also with organized boarding, left and arrived on time. Nothing new to say about the Airbus A330-200's IFE except this particular airplane's moving map display has an added information on the airplane's flight level in meters and feet. Surprised we were given "free" in-flight meal of Chicken- stuffed hot sandwich, with a small salad, and Hawaiian chocolate candy, a free cup of wine was an option! This was very much appreciated. Again, three drink runs during this 4 1/2-hour flight. Flight attendants were pleasant and efficient. With HA's convenient departure and arrival times and newer Airbus A330-200 aircraft's used on the SFO- HNL-SFO routes, we will fly with them again next time we visit the Hawaiian Islands.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  3 October 2013 by N Lamont    (Australia)

Flew Business Class, Sydney to Honolulu. Complete rip off. Seats do not convert to beds, the plane was old and outdated, the food was terrible and they don't even have a wine list. For a snack we were not offered but had to ask and it was a bag of chips or a cookie in Business Class. Uniforms are as ugly as the plane and the service was shocking. I will never fly on Hawaiian again.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  1 October 2013 by B Sebastian    (Australia)

SYD-HNL. My mother and I had high hopes. We were quite disappointed starting from the moment we entered the plane. Cabin Crew appeared disinterested and not polite. The food was by far the most terrible we have ever had on any flight. It was quite safe to say that Hawaiian Airlines food service onboard HA452 and HA451 was disgusting. On both legs, no vegetarian option was given and we were given hard, cold chicken with undercooked vegetables. It was a terrible way to start a flight and it certainly did not get any better as the long night flight became unusually extremely cold, to the point that others were questioning it too! The cabin temperature served countless chills that made it hard to sleep.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2013 by Anthony Gibbons    (New Zealand)

SFO to HNL (7 Sep), HNL to/from Lihue (09/10 Sep) and final sector on HA445 to Auckland (13 Sep). Per my previous post, this airline could be good. Pluses: new A330 aircraft, flights on time, decent 2 piece 70 lb baggage allowance for international pax, the crew on the final four sectors were much more enthusiastic in serving their passengers (HA445 in particular), the web check-in and bag drop at all airports worked well. The pluses end there. Minuses: For international passengers the food/beverage and inflight entertainment is dire. Can see why US passengers might rate them highly given what they endure domestically! What's with the bland chicken and rice dishes on all lunch and dinner flights? The free F+B offering on SFO-HNL breakfast run consists of 4 grapes, 4 slices of melon, a piece of cheese and 2 packs of crackers? HA should charge a couple of bucks more and get serious with their offerings, or drop the pretence of food completely and charge for a decent offering. The 'complimentary IFE' is a joke in content despite the new A330 planes, even the pay per view movies (US$7.99 a pop) were exceedingly limited in choice. The HA terminal in HNL and terminal in LIH are in a time warp but suspect this to be the fault of the airport authorities (and TSA is certainly outside HA's control). Like I said, all's not lost, this airline certainly is no 4/5 star airline but it could be halfway decent with a few weeks. For the price paid, not really good value. A shame as actually had been looking forward to flying them to and from SFO. Could only recommend HA only if price substantially cheaper than other options.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  16 September 2013 by S Quei    (USA)

I flew from Oakland to Maui on Sep 11. I arrived at the airport at 6am, 2 hours before departure. Check-in was a breeze, with friendly staff despite the early time of the day. The fee to check in a 45-lb suitcase was $25 (quite standard nowadays). I have flown on many Boeing 767's, and this one was, by far, the quietest one ever. Flight attendants were very friendly. The complimentary breakfast after take-off, and the complimentary rum punch before landing, are a really nice touch when flying in the economy cabin. I can only think of two draw-backs: 1) your regular head-sets don't work well (you need a two-prong plug or you only hear their [free] video entertainment out of one ear]), and 2) the cabin is very cold (I was prepared, and wore my coat, but several folks around me were sneezing). Overall: a very good experience!

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  14 September 2013 by B Dunaway    (USA)

I have flown Hawaiian Airlines about 20 times now, Oakland to either Hilo or Kona, last trip was March 2013. As far as I'm concerned there is no other like it. I wish they flew all over the Continental US. Fantastic service on the ground and in the plane. If flights were more than half off with other airlines, I wouldn't go, I'm staying with Hawaiian.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  28 August 2013 by Anthony Gibbons    (New Zealand)

Travelled AKL to SFO via HNL on 24 Aug. HA446/12. Had been warned not to expect much and this was sage advice. Web check-in and bag drop was a good start for a 23.55 hr departure. Crew on HA446 distinctly lacking aloha. HA12 better. Meals the same bland poached chicken bits on rice with broccoli (ex AKL) and diced carrots/peas (exHNL). Not worth staying up for esp when served at 2 am out of AKL! Breakfast was a plastic bag of assorted industrial foods handed to pax. Inflight entertainment despite being touchscreen on newish A330 was lacking content and not free (US$7.99 a movie). Budget airline without the budget ticket prices, in future its back to Air NZ. Pluses: I arrived SFO on time and with both checked bags. HA actually has the potential to be a very good airline but needs to think hard about its international offering.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  20 August 2013 by B Walberer    (USA)

HNL-SFO in first class. I used Hawaiians drive-thru check-in at HNL and was berated by very unfriendly agent because my friend just dropped me off and then left with the car. Her reasoning, it is a drive-thru check-in, not a drop-off. When I requested a priority tag for my suitcase agent requested a tip for the porter. I gave the porter a tip but still did not get a priority tag. No information given about lounge access, had to find lounge on my own. Overall, a very chaotic, unfriendly check-in process. Lounge at HNL airport very basic, staff ok, not overly friendly. On board the service was good, and so was the food and wine. The seats, however, have only minimal recline and were not very comfortable in the upright position. Overall, ok for a 5 hr flight but longer flights would be a problem. I used miles for my first class flight and got an ok deal. Otherwise not worth the premium.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  8 August 2013 by George Moros    (Australia)

HA444 from Brisbane to Honolulu on Sunday 4th August. Returning Saturday 17th August on flight HA443. Budget airline, would never fly them again. Service 5 out of 10, Seating 2 out of 10, take a jacket as you will freeze! No in seat movie screens. On international flight unless you buy a machine. Other options would be better!

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  6 August 2013 by J Reed    (USA)

If you are flying coach w/o elite status, Hawaiian Airlines is great because they you are their target market. I have flown Hawaiian many times between Las Vegas and Hawaii, most recently just a few days ago. Here is what I like: 1) A decent seat pitch of 32 inches is standard, 2) seating on the transpacific planes is 2-4-2 so a husband and wife can get a window aisle seat by themselves, 3) nice, free meals in coach, 4) they actually answer the phone reasonably quickly by airline standards, 5) the flight attendants are actually friendly.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2013 by Max Selwood    (Australia)

LAX to HNL in First, bumped onto Hawaiian due to American Airlines flight going tech. Great new Airbus aircraft, clean, bright and fresh, fantastic staff, friendly, very out going, nice pre take off drinks, great Menu and Catering, Wine choice was very limited and The Seat is terribly uncomfortable, but overall I think Hawaiian have a great little niche and are the best of the American Carriers.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  31 July 2013 by A Kumar    (India)

HNL-SFO. Self-service check-in quick although not enough personnel to help through the relatively complex system. Bags are weighed and you even self-tag the bags before dropping it off. Potentially efficient but the communication needs to be better. However the extra charges are ridiculous on Hawaiian. Check in per bag at $70, movies at $12, extra legroom seats at $70 again. I know American carriers practice ala carte pricing but Hawaiian's charges are more then other carriers. The so-called trumpeted meal service was a few bland pieces of chicken with rice, an aged salad and a piece of chocolate. The final straw however was the crew. While sitting on a bulkhead seat after paying the ridiculous charges passengers were trampling on my feet to get to the other aisle. When I advised the crew they said its not their problem. Bags in SFO took ages mitigating an on-time arrival. Sorry Hawaiian but serving sub-standard complimentary food does not allow you to rip off passengers with extra charges and poor service. Next time I am bringing my own food on-board and flying Delta!

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  31 July 2013 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

Oakland - Maui - Kona. An excellent experience from start to finish. Great service punctuated by smiles and efficiency. A delicious breakfast was served with a small cheese plate offered before landing. The other carriers on these Hawaiian routes should take notes about first class service and offerings. Easy transfer in Maui to a short efficient hop to Kona.

Hawaiian Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2013 by C Rosalie    (Australia)

Returned from Honolulu to Sydney, Fri 26th July. Business Class was a shambles checking in. There was no one at the desk and a queue was building. A girl finally appeared and was so slow and uninterested we asked another guy who was assisting economy people get their own baggage labels in a machine and finally he assisted us. Really disappointed after paying so much. A330 seats not very comfortable and my video machine did not work. The staff were very friendly and couldn't fault them but would not fly again with them.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9