Gulf Air Passenger Reviews and Gulf Air Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5

Gulf Air Customer review :  3 November 2014 by D Russell    (UK)

Second entry, this time return flights from Muscat to Heathrow via Bahrain (GF561, GF3). Check-in in Muscat a breeze, aircraft an A320 departed slightly early and arrived in Bahrain on time. Although the flight is only an hour and a half, served with a hot breakfast item and usual drinks. Crew friendly enough and seat pitch very good even for a six footer like me (1.90m). Two hours to connect in Bahrain which was a breeze too. Flight to Heathrow was on the smaller A320 and not the usual larger A330 and this was probably good as the seat pitch is better in the smaller Gulf Air airbuses. Flight was not full so not surprising they were using the A320. Usual clean and airy cabin, crew friendly, food very good, in flight entertainment quite good although the 320 has slightly different kit to the A330 so no USB port and headphone socket is two pin! Flight departed Bahrain on time and arrived at Heathrow slightly early, bags arrived too. Very pleased with Gulf Air and would I use them again? I would.

Gulf Air Customer review :  31 October 2014 by D Russell    (UK)

Just flown GF2 LHR-BAH (Airbus 330) Seats 23A/C connecting to GF556 BAH-MCT (Airbus 320) Seats 11E/F. Both economy. After reading some of the reviews on here I was a little concerned however I must say I was very pleased with Gulf Air. We departed late from Heathrow, not because of Gulf Air but the usual Heathrow being busy scenario and this meant we would be arrived in Bahrain with a very short connection time of about one hour. The A330 'KC' had been refitted with the new interior which made the cabin smart, bright and airy. Seat was comfortable for the six and a half hour journey and I was only just starting to get restless as we arrived. I'm over 6' tall by the way! Cabin crew were very friendly but don't expect much in the way of offerings onboard. We got a drink just after leaving Heathrow then the next offering was two hours later and that was lunch. The food was rather good and I cleared everything! After Lunch the next your get will be just before arrival and that's just orange juice or water. I was starving by the time we arrived in Bahrain but because of the short connection time and arriving late didn't have time to buy anything so next time I would board with supplies. Note that in arrival in Bahrain it will be a bus from the aircraft to the terminal as they park the aircraft up overnight away from the terminal and you'll have to get through another security check too, so don't hang about! Bags had been checked through from London so we had everything crossed that they would make it to Muscat too. Flight from BAH-MCT was hassle free, the seats actually had more leg room than the flight from London, weird! It's only about an hour and a half so comfort not an issue. The aircraft look nearly new so are clean and bright inside and out. You get a cold snack too which was tasty. Crew friendly and both legs and believe it or not our bags arrived too. Well done Gulf Air and fingers crossed it's as good on the way back later this week.

Gulf Air Customer review :  23 October 2014 by P Weeren    (Oman)

Mediocre, at best. I live in the Middle East, in Oman. The national carrier, Oman Air, is consistently ranked among the best and its product is very good when compared to other Middle Eastern airlines. Unfortunately, however, that ranking seems to have gone to Oman Air's head lately and they have not only increased prices dramatically, but are apparently also considering cutting a lot of the services and features that have made them a stand out in a field of also-rans. Because they are above what I can afford for last minute leisure trips, I chose to fly Gulf Air to London on the routing MCT-BAH-LHR early this month. The pricing is very competitive and their website originally showed me a wonderful pair of flights that would have only meant a short layover of under two hours in Bahrain. Once the payment screen had been completed, however, I received ticketing on two flight sets that incorporated a 9.5 hour layover in Bahrain on the way to London, and a 7.5 hour layover on the return trip. Amazingly, while I was lured in with such a terrific original offer, I was now going to be spending nearly one day of my break in Bahrain's mediocre International Airport (and in that facility's mediocre Dilmun Lounge - see separate review). At Muscat, we were delayed in boarding, and is usual with many Middle Eastern airlines, no reason was given for the delay - it just was. Boarding the A320 for Bahrain, legroom was quite adequate at 34 inches of pitch, I had experienced this on previous short-haul flights with Gulf Air and therefore thought they might be just the ticket to avoid rival Oman Air's new inflationary price structure. After landing at Bahrain International and a lengthy stay in the wildly overpriced Dilmun Lounge, I boarded the leg for LHR, and was amazed that on an A330, any airline would tighten the seat pith to a measly 31 inches, which made for a 7 hour torture ride. Luckily, on that leg I had a short row (two seats) to myself and was able to mitigate the pain a little. Sadly, Gulf Air has revamped its A330s with new leather seats from Recaro, arguably the worst airline seat maker out there. Each of their seats on any aircraft features rough Philips-head screws at precisely where my knees are forced to contact the seat in front of me as I am rather tall and have long legs - sheer torture. If the person in front of me then reclines, things are beyond the pale of bearable. Again, the flight was delayed and of course there was no explanation of any kind. Gulf Air needs to pull up its socks in terms of food service. While the food was excellent, there was precious little of it - only one meal service, barely two beverage services, and nothing more on an intercontinental price. No comfort packet with eye masks, no direly needed ear plugs, nothing more. Basically, the return trip was the same in reverse, although push-back from Heathrow was on the dot. Will I fly Gulf Air again? Probably yes, but I'll try to limit it to short haul, which is their vastly superior product.

Gulf Air Customer review :  9 October 2014 by C Rowlands    (UK)

LHR-BAH-DXB. After reading reviews on various site online I wasn't expecting much from Gulf Air. I was lucky enough to fly on one of their newly retrofitted A330-200 from LHR to BAH. I was pleasantly surprised with the aircraft. The new seats were comfortable, the IFE didn't have much choice but was the hardware was top quality. The touch screen unit had an USB port to charge personal devices too which was very useful. The aircraft was clean which you'd expect on a newly retrofitted aircraft. The cabin crew were friendly and helpful. The food was actually very nice but lacking in options. Being a red-eye flight there was at least 70% of the seats empty so I got some decent shut eye! The A320 from BAH to DXB was as full capacity as you'd expect for a regional flight. Again, clean aircraft, decent seats and helpful crew. The snack wasn't very appetizing. Overall for what I paid (£320) I was very impressed and would recommend this airline if you're flying on a budget.

Gulf Air Customer review :  6 October 2014 by R Clarke    (Saudi Arabia)

BAH-MNL and plane was an old tired A330 with old seats that were uncomfortable along with a tired looking cabin. Food was the only bright spot which was very good both main meal & the breakfast. The IFE is dreadful and crew had even forgot the portable DVD players so you could not watch any up to date movies or features. This flight is basically carrying workers back home from the Middle East hence it looks like not much effort is being made to upgrade the flight experience on this route sadly. Even though one of the senior cabin crew did state this actual plane is to undergo a refit.

Gulf Air Customer review :  2 October 2014 by M Scott    (Saudi Arabia)

GF 154 Bahrain to Manila. The entire economy section is in a terrible state, rickety and stained seats. The food was excellent, but the crew didn't enforce the "use the lavatories in your section". People we're leaving economy to use the lavatories in business - that is unacceptable. The crew also seemed not to care that when we landed, people were up and moving about the cabin during an active taxi creating several potential hazards.

Gulf Air Customer review :  25 September 2014 by O Walters    (UK)

Delhi - Bahrain - London. This is the third time I have flown Gulf Air. First two times were economy and this time business. All times have been good experiences in the respective classes. On time, clean, friendly cabin crew. The most recent was yesterday and I flew business from Delhi. All I can say is that I couldn't fault them, great seats, even on the a321 from Delhi, which I was expecting to be a jumped up economy seat but was grateful for a flat bed given the 04.45 departure. Bahrain lounge is up there with emirates and BA T5. A330 to LHR was good, great seats, nice staff and a nice experience. The only very mild criticism would be that there isn't much choice on the IFE but there was enough to keep me occupied. Great job all, I simply don't recognise the poor reviews.

Gulf Air Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Kim Thomsen    (UK)

LHR-BAH-BKK. I read the mixed reviews here before booking business class to Bangkok via Bahrain after seeing Gulf Air has started to refurbish their cabins. First leg LHR-BAH was on a refurbished A330. Seats were excellent far more comfortable than they look. Service was good and food was plenty and above standard for business class. The let down was the AVOD system which was quite limited. After a stay over in Bahrain the second leg to BKK was in a non-refurbished cabin (travel tip: get a set in row 1 or 2 as these seats are better). The cabin was old, worn but clean. Service and food matched the first leg and was excellent. The old entertainment system was next to useless but a tablet like device was handed out which was well specked with movies and series and the selection was better than the AVOD system in the refurbished cabin. On arrival to BKK priority immigration cards were handed out and bags arrived quickly on the carousel. For the price an excellent trip and well recommended.

Gulf Air Customer review :  7 September 2014 by E A Ali    (Bahrain)

BAH-BKK-BAH I was given a middle seat instead of a window seat as I requested when I booked my ticket from Gulf Air (Airport Office) two days before my flight. The check-in staff member was very stiff, she did not smile and did not greet the customer! When I requested her a window seat she said the only available seats were middle seats? When I boarded the aircraft the Cabin Crew were chatting with each other rather than greeting and directing passengers to their seats. Zero customer service. The seat was in a very bad condition, old and stained the metal frame structure inside the seat cushion was squeezing my back. I had a hard time reclining the seat. Food was really good I enjoyed it. Cabin crew served me a glass of wine, when I asked her later for another one, the answer was "I will get back to you". I am still waiting for her! I requested earplugs because the child seated in the next aisle was being very loud, the answer was "we don't give earplugs on night flights". Never heard that before. The Return flight was exactly the same.

Gulf Air Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Ravindra Kumar    (India)

Horrible Business Class. Never fly their Business Class. Do not go by the pictures they advertise on their website. The business class that we had from London to Bahrain had reasonable seats (reclining though not flat beds as advertised), service was decent and food good. However, Bahrain-Delhi flight (which was a night flight) that we had was a disaster - premium economy seats (not Business Class as promised) which barely reclined, no alcoholic drinks offered as apart from our family (and perhaps another couple of people) all other seats were upgrades due to an overbooked flight. Service was quite pathetic and no one seemed to care. Horrible experience. We would strongly advise against taking Business Class on Gulf Air.

Gulf Air Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Paul Kerslake    (UK)

Outbound flight from LHR to BAH was excellent, good service and good food/drink. The second stage from BAH to BKK was far from good with unresponsive staff and poor quality food. The return journey from BKK to BAH was once again let down by the staff attitude toward the customer, however once again the second part of the flight from BAH to LHR was much better with the exception of the headrest TVs which seemed to work when they felt like. Toilets were blocked from the outset of the journey, however the general feeling was that is was ok, considering the very reasonable fares offered against their competitors.

Gulf Air Customer review :  16 July 2014 by M Cuenco    (UAE)

DXB-BAH-LHR. The plane was old and rough around the edges. The crew were just going through the motions and there was no attempt in even the most basic customer service except for one flight attendant who was clearly new. She was the only one who smiled and was eager to please. Food was good - a pleasant surprise. Inflight entertainment needs a major overhaul. My luggage and I arrived in one piece, which I guess is the most important thing.

Gulf Air Customer review :  11 June 2014 by R Clarke    (Saudi Arabia)

Flew BAH-MNL, the cabin was tired and old looking. The protector hiding the life vest was on the floor and clearly broken, a couple of times during the flight the life vest fell on the floor. This is a serious safety issue as its clear the cabin has not been maintained in any shape or form. Another safety issue I'm sure is that all the windows should have the blinds up when landing and taking off but in the area I was seated many were still down when taking off! IFE is awful with only few selected movies and nothing on demand. Food was quite good though and cabin attendants pretty good at answering passengers needs.

Gulf Air Customer review :  24 May 2014 by Anu Parasuram    (India)

I wish I had seen these reviews before travelling Gulf Air. The worst experienced international travel ever. Gulf Air from Bombay to Paris via Bahrain. Our luggage did not arrive in Paris. Not a single staff member in the airport was helpful. They did not give us compensation nor did they help us locate our baggage. After innumerable phone calls and following up we found our baggage 3 days later, an hour before we departed for London. The crew was rude and the airline does not care for the customer. While we returned from London to Mumbai via Bahrain our baggage again did not arrive in Mumbai.

Gulf Air Customer review :  9 May 2014 by D Walker    (UK)

A Middle Eastern Airline with little Middle Eastern values! Flew them from LHR to DXB. Check in staff treat you as a number, no smile no good evening sir, nothing. My flight was delayed but that could happen to any airline, but once in the air TV and entertainment did not work for over 1 hour into the flight due to tech issues! Food was poor quality and nearly all the choices I wanted they did not have. I will never use Gulf Air again!

Gulf Air Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Nadeem Khan    (Saudi Arabia)

ISB-BAH, March 27, business class. Aged father required wheelchair and my jaw dropped at this response: "since the wheelchair was not requested in advance, the charge will be 50 US dollars". No choice but to pony up the extortion money.

Gulf Air Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Nadeem Khan    (Saudi Arabia)

Mar 29, BAH-KHI, economy. No complaints on A320. IFE was good, food was better than expected. Timely arrival. Courteous service. Looks like this airline has just woken up to the competition from Emirates, Qatar, flydubai, etc., and is trying not to be left too far behind. Good for us, the customers.

Gulf Air Customer review :  26 March 2014 by Maskery Richard    (UK)

After reading all the negative reviews about Gulf Air thought oh no here we go, but I was pleasantly surprised. A330 from BKK to LHR (via Bahrain), all flights on time, slightly larger seats as they are still flying the older A330 (which they are upgrading in August this year). Staff friendly and helpful, plane was clean, food was ok but not on a par with Emirates or Qatar. Entertainment system is old but all working, all in all a good flight and at £200 cheaper than any of its competitors you get what you pay for will fly them again based on price and service.

Gulf Air Customer review :  31 January 2014 by H Jonathan    (Thailand)

GF150, BAH-BKK, 30 Jan 2013 in economy. Pleasant crews. Meal - quality is not good when compared with other airlines in the region. Could not touch the salad and dessert, no ideas what they were. Luckily it is just a 6 hours flight. Simple breakfast was served - a cup of yoghurt, a piece of bread and coffee/tea. Seat - very comfortable. Entertainment program - very limited choice. Movie selection is out of date. Overall - if considering it is a 3-star airline, it is good value for money.

Gulf Air Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Geoff Becque    (UK)

GF002 (LHR-BAH) connecting to GF512 (BAH-DXB) in Falcon Gold. From LHR we were greeted by name, orange juice and hot towel and then order taken for drink after takeoff. One Bombay Sapphire and Tonic and one Champagne please! Push back on time. Old A330-200 and the second cabin in FG had not been refurbished and most of the seats had problems with electric's but they still fully reclined and were comfy and roomy. Old IFE but DVD players offered. Very good food selection together with good wine choice. Service from the FA's was first class, pity the aircraft wasn't although the purser advised that it was due for seat upgrade mid 2014. On time arrival, a very good flight. An hour in the FG lounge in BAH and then onto our second sector to DXB this time on a new A320 with latest IFE. Although a short flight there was a hot snack and full bar service. On time arrival in DXB, together with our luggage from LHR, which was a relief. Overall a good flight experience.

Gulf Air Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Melissa Parsons    (Saudi Arabia)

Flew RUH-BAH-LHR on 23 Jan 2014. Both sectors quite full and the flight RUH-BAH was on time and uneventful, basic snack for such a short sector, seats in economy not overly generous with space but sufficient. I then had a long lay-over in BAH before boarding my flight to LHR, which give me time for shopping at the airport! The next sector was comfortable, except for a couple of ladies sat behind me, kicking the back of my seat as they were trying to move family all over the cabin. in addition I found these same ladies to be quite selfish with the passengers behind them, insisting on reclining their seats while the meal service was on. I was pleased thought to see the GF Cabin Crew to take control of both situations in a pleasant but firm way and eventually the ladies calmed down. The flight itself was pleasant and fro an economy product the food, both super and breakfast and entertainment was excellent. The crew made me feel comfortable and the offer of refreshments were plenty. I even managed to get a few hours’ sleep on the flight which left me refreshed when I arrived at LHR. One minor irritation was when we arrived we had to wait over 40 minutes for our baggage to be delivered to the belt. I cannot wait to experience the return flight but before that I have family to catch up with!

Gulf Air Customer review :  24 January 2014 by Brian Levy    (Ireland)

I'm usually a fan of Gulf Air but my latest experience with them was simply horrible. Cairo to Doha via Bahrain. Flight from Cairo to Bahrain was on A321, full flight with not one free seat. Food as usual was great (in my opinion Gulf Air's food is far superior to the food of Qatar or Emirates). However, the nightmare began during transit in Bahrain. The flight to Doha was delayed 2 hours. Not one announcement was made on the reason of the delay. Airport staff in Bahrain were both rude and clueless. On the flight itself to Doha, the Bahraini male flight attendants were rude and sarcastic when asked about the delay. Only water was offered to the passengers, comparable to low cost airlines, which Gulf Air is supposedly not. This airline is going downhill fairly quickly. Also, their IFE needs an Einstein to figure it, and the entertainment is very old and limited.

Gulf Air Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Marie Hazelwood    (Saudi Arabia)

Dec 23, Bahrain-Paris, GF19, return Paris-Bahrain, January 4th. Very busy. Staff were very pleasant, and I was very grateful to them for making a special allowance for me. The staff make this airline very pleasant.

Gulf Air Customer review :  21 December 2013 by R Clarke    (Saudi Arabia)

BAH-MNL and still the IFE is very poor and when will it be on demand with up to date films? Lucky that we had a DVD type player as that was a godsend to have as at least it had up to date movies but battery life was not too good for a long flight. Food pretty good this time around as it seems to depend on the on-board chef as they do differ on the flights I have been on previously. Again one of the toilets was out of order which is pretty poor when this flight was completely full! Also seems that the plane was not fully cleaned beforehand as I found litter from the last flight under my seat.

Gulf Air Customer review :  10 December 2013 by Porus Buhariwala    (Qatar)

DOH-BAH-BOM. Aircraft's were less two years old, good seating, generous allowance of 45 kgs in economy! Only downside was very limited portion of meals, and limited entertainment. However when compared to prices of Jet Airways, Qatar and Emirates its fare was 50 percent less. Transit Time between Gates was 5 mins.

Gulf Air Customer review :  25 November 2013 by Chris Parsons    (Saudi Arabia)

Following my comments of 13 September 2013, which were 'pre-flight comments' in relation to my GF planned Business Flight; RUH-BAH-LHR-BAH-RUH on 24 Sept and 2 Oct respectively I was pleasantly surprised! Though my ticket RUH-BAH was economy the crew looked after me very well. On arrival at the GF Lounge in BAH my seat was immediately changed to 1G. Likewise on check-in for the LHR-BAH on 2 Oct my allocated seat was 2A. These front 'lie flat' seats are the old GF 1st Class product. The service on all four sectors was very good and the food on the BAH-LHR-BAH was excellent! A good choice of IFE with very attentive Cabin Crew who could do enough for me. I will definitely be flying GF again.

Gulf Air Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Massimiliano De Carli    (Oman)

From MCT to BOM then back BOM-MCT. I must say that the entertainment wasn't good at all. The food from MCT-BAH was not very special, it was a small sandwich which I think is very good for a 1 hr 20 min flight (in Europe you wont get a meal but drinks only if lucky). The connection times were very bad, we arrived in Manama at around 0 am and had to catch the next flight at 10 am and we would have to sleep on the floor. The Crew were very nice, nothing to complain about. The flight to Bombay was really nice, the meal was a nice Chicken tikka but we could choose from vegetarian to beef to chicken.

Gulf Air Customer review :  16 October 2013 by R Clarke    (Saudi Arabia)

Flew BAH-MNL and still the IFE is not on demand but at least you get a DVD type player with selected movies. But does not compare to the likes of Qatar, Emirates. Food seems to be below average or maybe down to the caterer at this destination as I did not eat must of mine. Crew were very pleasant and very helpful. Toilets seemed not to be cleaned regularly during the flight as tissues and smells were evident of the previous passenger lying around on the floor.

Gulf Air Customer review :  3 October 2013 by D Graubard    (USA)

BAH-AUH on 2 October. A320 in very good shape - updated interior. Flight departed 10 minutes early for the 55 minute flight to Abu Dhabi. Friendly flight attendants in nice attire - 2 male and 2 female. In-flight Entertainment was great - more choices on this A320 for Gulf flights than on United for 12 hour international flights. Even a chicken sandwich and drink were served. Arrived 5 minutes early and baggage was out quickly. Gulf Air is doing a great job!

Gulf Air Customer review :  13 September 2013 by Chris Parsons    (Saudi Arabia)

This report will be published as it is before I take my trip with GF (I will follow up with a review post trip). GF changed from a 3 class airline to a 2 class airline some four years or so. I am flying RUH-BAH-LHR-BAH-RUH on 24 Sept and 2 Oct. I have used miles to upgrade and after reviewing the config of the A332 have just called the call centre to request a seat on row 1 or 2 on the BAH-LHR-BAH sectors as these are 'lie flat'. I was told I could not as these are reserved for 'J' Class passengers only; hence still a 3 class airline! The scores shown are pre flight and my feelings/dealings with the GF staff thus far.

Gulf Air Customer review :  3 September 2013 by N Sutherland    (UK)

LHR-BAH-BKK return. All flights on time. Quick and hassle free boarding at all airports. Online Check-In worked well (something that Etihad can't seem to manage). A330 aircraft on all sectors. Older aircraft but more spacious and comfortable seats than the flights operated by Emirates, Etihad or Qatar. Food was fine and plenty drinks choices with regular juice and water service. Excellent Cabin Crew. Only downside was the poor IFE compared to the competition, so take a ipod and a book. Very nice service through Bahrain which is in my opinion a much better transit airport than Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha. I was pleasantly surprised with Gulf Air and I'll use them again.

Gulf Air Customer review :  9 August 2013 by M Seraj    (Canada)

COK-BAH-LHR. Food was ok and what we did not like and had a major issue with was that my 2 year old daughter was hungry during the Bahrain to London flight and the flight crew informed us that they had run out of milk. We carried 2 bottles of milk from BAH airport and we expected that milk would be available on board like any other parent flying with small children.

Gulf Air Customer review :  16 July 2013 by James Martin    (UAE)

Dubai to London Heathrow return via Bahrain in both directions. Airbus A320 on the DXB-BAH sectors and larger Airbus A330 on the Bahrain London segments. Faultless service from Gulf Air from the point of checking in at Dubai to arriving back in Dubai 10 days later. The cabin crew really do make this airline special. What it lacks in new aircraft, super IFE and gadgets and gizmos is more than compensated for by the crew who give excellent customer service. All cabins lightly loaded in all sectors. I managed to get row 8 on the two longer flights and had no one sitting next to me. Therefore, masses of leg and elbow room. Onboard chef a nice touch. Could not fault the catering. If I had to grumble about anything it's possibly the slow service on the Bahrain to London sector, where the same crew start serving at Row 1. So it took a while to reach Row 8. Not to worry: a flight attendant kept my glass of Laurent Perrier champagne filled up throughout and replenished the bowl of hot nuts several times, without the need to be prompted. Lounges at Bahrain and London superb, the latter offering an amazing view out of Terminal 4 across the entire Heathrow campus. Staff were polite and efficient. All in all, flying on Gulf Air reminded me of visiting an old Auntie who was determined to make sure that I was fed and watered until I was about to burst! In fact, it was nice to be treated nice and to escape from the technology that features so much on other airlines these days.

1 2 3 4 5