Gol Linhas Aéreas Passenger Reviews and Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer Trip Reports

GOL Linhas Aereas Inteligentes customer travel guide

GOL Linhas Aereas Inteligentes Passenger Trip Reviews

GOL Linhas Aereas 3-Star Airline Rating

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Miguel Ferreira    (Brazil)

GIG-GRU and CGH-SDU. Outbound flight in B737-700, air conditioning was only turned on after takeoff, airline justifies it as "saving fuel" policy. Not very pleasant or "human" when its 40 Celsius outside and plane taxiing for more than 15 minutes before taking off! Return flight much better, on a brand new B737-800 with "sky interior" and extra space between seats, and free snack/drink service. It's definitely one of the best and most reliable airlines in Brazil, but they really should review that air conditioning policy, especially at airports of hotter cities, as Rio.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  27 August 2013 by Paul William Dixon    (Brazil)

Two legs, GRU-REC and REC-BSB-GRU. Aircraft was comfortable but apart from that the service was terrible. Everything is paid for, including soft drinks and even coffee, although if you are lucky you may get a free glass of water. Many things on the list are never available, and they never have change. On the REC-BSB section, the shop was not operational so at least we got a free juice - together with some peanuts. No inflight entertainment at all, and no information about the route, temperatures etc (except on GRU-REC flight). Safety information given in Portuguese only - why? English and Spanish versions are essential for the World Cup and other holiday periods. Another problem - only 3 bathrooms on a B737-800 and one reserved for women only.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  24 July 2013 by S Koenig    (Brazil)

FOR-GRU return, connecting to/from international flight (on Delta to the US). No problem on our first flight, though this was the first time in Brazil we were faced with paying for absolutely any drink or food other than regular water. We wisely opted not to pay the extra fee to get an exit row seat, as we noted that as soon as the door closed, people moved to those seats without paying (we followed). Since we were connecting to an international Delta flight (in biz class), we could take 3 checked bags up to 70 lbs. each. This was no problem either direction, but on our arrival back from the States, the Gol rep at the transit desk insisted that, although the allowance for checked bags was more than it would have been for a purely domestic flight on its own, the allowance for carry-on bags was the same small one (5 kg) as is we had just a GRU-FOR ticket. She would not issue our boarding passes until we lowered the weight of our carry-on bags, from the high amount allowed on the Delta flight, to the 5 kg. We had to have the checked bags brought back from the bowels of the airport, so we could move items from the carry-on bags to the checked bags. We have never run into this before, though in such situations in the past we'd usually been on TAM. We were on Gol because it's a partner of Delta. We will be informing Delta of the situation.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  6 February 2013 by S Cavenas    (Brazil)

I fly very often to São Paulo most of the time with GOL. When I first started flying with them, I was very satisfied. Friendly staff on air and on the ground. Good snacks and drinks and all for very good prices. Unfortunately I do not know what happened but they are managing to give away all the good qualities. Now you have to pay horrible prices for any snack or drink but don't get too excited as half of the options are never available. Fares are now no different from TAM The mileage program is actually pretty good. Just hope they get back to earlier days of good service.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  18 January 2013 by Rafael De Sa    (USA)

I had a ticket from Montevideo to Sao Paulo with connecting flight to the US with United, meaning I would be in transit in Sao Paulo for about 3 hours. At the airport in Montevideo, the Gol counter did not let me board the plane because I did not have a visa to enter Brazil, although I showed my United ticket and demonstrated I would only be in transit for 3 hours. GOL representatives were uncooperative, refused to verify my ticket with United. Could not explain why I could not board the plane with evidence that I was not entering Brazil but was in transit to catch a connecting flight to the US. I went to a different Brazilian airline, and they had no problem in selling a me ticket, let me board, and catch my connecting flight in Sao Paulo.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  2 January 2013 by J Steele    (UK)

We booked in advance with GOL from Rio to Iguazu. When we checked in the day before we discovered that the airline had changed the time of the flight from 10.30am to 13.30pm. We tried to contact customer service and were kept on hold for an English speaking agent then disconnected. We could not reach anyone to speak to. When we checked in the next day and spoke to someone at the airport we discovered that they changed our return flight from 6.30pm the next day to 14.30 with a connection through São Paulo. That would have put us on a 6 hour transit instead of the 2 hour direct flight we had booked. It also further cut our time in Iguazu making it almost impossible to actually see anything. We tried to speak to staff at the airport but they all shrugged their shoulders. No one spoke good English and they were not willing to call the 0800 customer service for us. We had to go for fear of missing our flight.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  3 November 2012 by Marcelo Gruman    (Brazil)

BSB-SDU, Oct 31st. Flight on time, no flight entertainment, food and beverages only if you pay. Seats uncomfortable, as usual. Flight attendant offered me a glass of water just before arrival in Rio de Janeiro.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  29 October 2012 by W Stuffer    (Brazil)

Flight CGH-Belo Horizonte. Boarding delayed as usual, no real preference for Diamond passengers, seat comfort is okay-its only 1 hr. No drink service, only paid. Usually flying different route where this is offered. No priority luggage, no lounge. Low budget airline with the price of a full service airline.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  25 July 2012 by Arthur Baz    (Brazil)

CNF-SDU. Very good flight, no problems at all. Fast check-in and baggage claim. Just dislike in-flight service (catering and entertainment), but the cheap ticket justifies this.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  2 January 2012 by Rodrigo Rosato Alves da Silva    (Brazil)

VCP-CXJ with connection in CWB after 4-hour layover on return. Staff careless, a GOL's standard. Pitiful snack on all flights. Simply no inflight entertainment. Plane's wireless system didn't work, and FA's didn't care about it. There were delays on both connections. Overall, great lack of service, but not too away from general domestic flights in Brazil.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  23 December 2011 by A Gaitan    (Argentina)

GIG-EZE. Check-in at Rio was a nightmare. The queue was long with only 3 agents doing the check in for the Int'l Flight to Buenos Aires. At least 300 passengers waiting for hours in line. Flight was delayed 45 mins and arrived in Buenos Aires an hour delayed. I lost my domestic connection and the catering service for a 3 hour international flight is a joke.

Gol Linhas Aéreas Customer review :  21 November 2011 by A Gaitan    (Argentina)

GRU-IGU. Disorganized check-in. Only 2 desks for more than 100 passengers checking in at the same time for 3 different flights. The boarding was better. The 737-800 belonging to Varig were clean and neat. 1 hr 45 mins flight with just a few selections of cold beverages. For the price it was reasonable.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  24 October 2011 by S Koenig    (Brazil)

FOR-REC-BSB and BSB-FOR. Gol was having a sale, so I took that even though my wife was on TAM. Planes were comfortable and clean, though on the last flight the toilets got rather dirty even during a short flight. Whereas in the past I would have expected at least a small sandwich, and drinks that included beer, that has changed: on the first flight, we got a small package of crackers and a smaller package of cookies, plus soft drinks (no beer); on the second and third flights the crackers were replaced by a bag of potato chips. Still no beer. A fight attendant on the last flight said they'd stopped serving free beer some time ago, but that on some fights they were starting to sell it. I got an emergency row seat (albeit with a seat that didn't recline) for no extra charge on the last flight (other flights were full). No questions as to whether I spoke enough Portuguese to understand emergency instructions (maybe they surmised it from my conversation with the attendant; btw, one needs to specifically ask for an emergency row seat when checking in at the airport). To Gol's credit, there is no extra cost for these (TAM charges).

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  21 October 2011 by L Logan    (Australia)

GIG-EZE I had to book this airline because TAM had cancelled their flight due to the ash cloud over Argentina. I think I paid US$500+ for this one way trip which was outrageous but I had no choice. Check in was a joke, it was confusing because hardly anyone spoke English (even though signs are in Portuguese and English - including these airport officials that walk around in yellow jackets that say "Can I help you?" on the back but can't speak English?) and they seem to have a separate check in process for your passport and bags? The flight was 2 hours late but no announcement until 5 minutes before departure. Food was not worth the effort. This is a terrible airline and another I'd add to my blacklist.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  17 October 2011 by S Lim    (Australia)

Booked flight Foz de Iguazu to Rio over the internet. Knew I was going to miss my flight due to a car accident and so we rang the airline on the way to hospital. Gol were extremely accomodating, and postponed my flight to the next day without charge and also provided assistance with mobility at the airport (I was wheelchair bound). The flight was comfortable and left on time. Great customer service which they were in no way obliged to give. Gol made a holiday disaster much easier.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  2 August 2011 by M Dumeau    (Argentina)

Route EZE (Buenos Aires) - BGI (Barbados) was supposed to take about 10 hrs including connecting time in GRU (Sao Paulo). It took us 72 hrs to get to our destination, since the first flight departed with a 3 hr delay due to technical problems and it was almost impossible to get to Sao Paulo in time to board the connecting flight. However staff insisted that we had no choice other than boarding it, with the promise that should we miss the connection (which we did) and being that it was a weekly flight the staff at Sao Paulo would be aware of our situation and would have an alternative plan. We landed in Sao only to find that the flight had departed without us and that they had no other plan than suggesting we board the next flight a week later! From then on, it was a 3 day nightmare dealing with staff who were not prepared to manage even the simplest situations. After an endless wait at the airport a supervisor came with a "solution" a terrible itinerary via Brasilia and Miami, staying overnight in Sao. When we told him it would be too tiresome he replied, "I lost 2 hrs 30 mins trying to solve this, I cannot do any more". Not much compared with the 3 days of our vacations spoilt. The connecting time for this new schedule was too tight and again due to the first leg delay we missed the connecting flight from Brasilia to Miami! We had to stay overnight in Brasilia too, and also explain the situation all over again to the staff there, who asked us, "but why did they send you here"? Finally the following morning we boarded an American Airlines flight and arrived in Barbados via Miami 72 hrs later.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  23 April 2011 by Michael Andrade (USA)

GIG-SSA. Bought the ticket on-line. While the booking process is less torturous than in the past, the website is still full of traps that make many people give up in frustration. GOL was once known as Brasil's low-cost airline, but prices are now the same as its competitor TAM. The check-in line at GIG was fairly long. The check-in agent was very helpful and allowed me to take a large bag as carry-on instead of checking it to save me the overweight luggage charge. The boarding process was efficient. The aircraft was clean and comfortable. GOL used to serve free beverages and a light snack, but on this flight we were handed a menu and all refreshments had to be purchased. I chose a sandwich combo that included a tasteless sandwich, a bag of chips and a can of Pepsi for 20 reais (approx US $15.00, a rather steep price for the mediocre quality). The flight crew was pleasant. We landed on-time in SSA. Overall GOL provides a reasonable service, but it's no longer the low-cost airline many assume it to be.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  22 April 2011 by B Walberer (USA)

SDU-CGH. Boarding at SDU was chaotic – the flight was delayed by almost 1 hour and the gate changed several times. Gate change announcements only in Portuguese. Eventually we were bussed to our aircraft. Aircraft was newer Boeing 737-800, cabin clean, good leg room. Service consisted of free soft drinks and some snacks. Overall, a good experience spoiled by the ground handling.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  6 February 2011 by Eduardo Braz (Brazil)

I think it's worth the attention to not fall in the ambush of GOL website and contract the service of travel assistance by mistake. By the time you make payment a check box appears asking if you "confirms the service engagement?". At no time is described "confirms the travel assistance service engagement?". Moreover, it is not broken the price of the service alone but has added to the value of the ticket. You can only identify the service conditions when you click on link and another window opens. I always buy passage on the site and this time I ended up contracting the travel assistance services by mistake.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  20 January 2011 by P Bouas (Australia)

BeloHorizonte to Florianopolis via Sao Paulo. not charged for our excess baggage, flights arrived on time. Juice and chips served for free. Very polite staff. A good no frills product. Only problem for foreigners is actually buying the flight over the net. We had to get our Brasilian friends to buy as we don't have a CPF number.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  28 November 2010 by N James (UAE)

Sao Paulo - Rio De Janeiro. Quick flight, cheap, perfect for a low cost airline. The only issue was that we had to pay for the ticket at the airport and the line was kinda long, 40mins. Then you go to the checkin - also another wait. So give plenty of time. Was impressed that they put our backpacks in a plastic bag for us.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  26 October 2010 by Rodrigo Rosato (Brazil)

GOL is a low-cost carrier and almost always have the best prices, even though they serve some snack and drink (a pitiful snack). I think they're perfect on the basic, get you from here to there. I'd fly them again if their prices where much lower than TAM's or Azul. FA's (all men) are quite nice but, obviously, they have no onboard entertainment.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  11 October 2010 by H Vieira (Netherlands)

Gol Linhas Aéreas Several domestic flights inside Brazil, GOL has a standard product, it is very reliable airline, and although considered a low-cost airline it offers free onboard drinks/snacks and service is very good. I would rate GOL above or at the level of the legacy European and US carriers flying intra-europe or intra-US service. I would certainly recommend GOL and fly the airline for my next flights.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  2 September 2010 by A Barros

Trip Rating : 1/10

Brasilia to Rio Branco, an average 3.5 hours flight, on an old VARIG plane. The space between seats was so little. It is incredible what some airlines are doing to their passengers lately. Terrible. Next time, I will take TAM, only a little better than GOL. Brazil, needs urgently, more competition on the domestic market.

Gol Linhas Aéreas customer review :  4 May 2010 by Alex Hijmans

Trip Rating : 8/10

IOS-SSA. Short 30 minute hop on Boeing 737-700 in Varig livery (Varig is a brand owned by Gol.) Flight left five minutes late, arrived five minutes early. Orange juice or water served, there was hardly time for anything else.

Gol Linhas Aéreas review :  18 March 2010 : by I Stoker

Trip Rating : 8/10

Sao Paolo to Rio. Originally booked on TAM but was re-routed due to delayed flight from Dubai. Ground stuff was polite and I was asked my seat preference in English. Departed on time. Arrived on time. Drinks were served. Baggage came very quickly. Friendly stuff. Clean surroundings. First when I saw orange colours, I immediately associated it with UK no frills airline Easyjet but I was pleasantly surprised at overall performance of GOL.

Gol Linhas Aéreas review :  5 November 2009 : by S Koenig

Trip Rating : 4/10

GIG-FOR. Originally booked on TAM, but when we had to be rerouted from the US, Delta put us on this flight. Actually on a plane from Flex Airlines, apparently a low-cost subsidiary of Gol (this had happened once before when I was booked on Gol). While some of the passengers were outraged that they weren't on a Gol plane, seating and service was about the same. Small snack and drinks (non-alcoholic only) served. Seating space average for airlines these days. We got to Fortaleza on time.

Gol Linhas Aéreas review :  29 June 2009 : by Alex Hijmans

Trip Rating : 7/10

SSA-GIG-SSA, modern 737-800 both legs. Outbound flight departed 20 minutes late but arrived on time. Inbound flight left Rio 45 minutes late and arrived 20 minutes later than scheduled. Inflight service friendly but basic: cereal bars on outbound flight, pretzels inbound. Limited choice of minerals. All in all, Gol is a very good no-frills airline.

Gol Linhas Aéreas review :  23 November 2008 : by S Koenig

Trip Rating : 8/10

Fortaleza-Rio roundtrip. Basic, no-frills flights. Tiny sandwiches, soft drinks, juice, coffee, water included. Biggest gripe was the fact that while the airline e-mailed my original itinerary to me, they did not notify me when my original flight to Rio (a non-stop flight) stopped flying a couple of weeks before I was to depart. Unbeknownst to me, I was put on a flight through Brasilia (fortunately leaving about the same time as the original flight). I learned of the schedule change only because I happened to look at the airline's Web site to confirm whether they were taking into account daylight savings time in Rio. I did ask them to send my revised itinerary via e-mail, to make it official, but they did not. Other than that, the flights were fine. On the return we were put on a plane operated by Flex Airlines, apparently a low-cost subsidiary. Once inside, it was pretty indistinguishable from the Gol flight in which I had flown to Rio.

GOL review : 15 July 2008 : by Jason Burnie

3 Star Rating

Sao Paulo to Rio. Check in staff could not speak English at all but he impressed by running around to find his English speaking colleague just to brief me the boarding details. FAs could fairly communicate in English. Snacks and drinks were provided on this short flight. FAs pushed the trolley up and down to check if any passengers want additional snacks or drinks or not. Departure and arrival on time. Baggage arrived on the belt quick enough. Rio (GRU) to Iguazu (IGU) via Curitiba. Check in was smooth. Once on board FAs friendly and they can speak English very well. Similar to previous flight that they pushed the trolley up and down to top up snacks and drinks. Transit in Curitiba we were not allowed to disembark. However, they still kept the turnaround time short at only 30 min. Arrival at Iguazu no problem at all. Good value good service.

GOL review : 1 May 2008 : by A Hijmans

3 Star Rating

SSA-BSB-SSA. Both legs in 737-800. Outbound flight on time, inbound flight delayed for half an hour in BSB, waiting for a connecting flight to arrive. Arrival in SSA nearly on time though. Aircraft spotlessly clean on both legs, two drinks and aforementioned cereal bars served with a smile (IFAs will give you extra cereal bars if you ask.) Check-in staff extremely helpful and friendly. Just three stars though due to the fact that the seats in the 737-800s are rock hard, even if their pitch is good for a low-cost airline.

GOL review : 30 April 2008 : by V Berjot

3 Star Rating

SSA-Recife Recife-Brazilia Brazilia-GIG. 2 of the 3 flights delayed on departure but only one really late on arrival. Planes clean and new. Pleasant crew. 2 drinks offered (and the cereal bars mentioned by another comment!) despite short flights. No problem with the on-line booking despite being non brazilian. Check in very quick in the different airports.

GOL - by Pedro Rosa

30 December 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 1 Star Rating

I don't believe what I'm reading: I have used this airline so often this year - about 12 times in 6 months - and only two flights were on time, the other 10 usually delayed for about an hour, average. Their prices are not that low-cost, their lunch is ridiculous (micro-snack); domestic lines at check-ins are known to be the longest. As for international flights, they're gross, totally unprepared and asking you silly questions - this is also valid for all ground crew. We have to fly them because of their widespread net, and my company loves to pay for their extra fees, which ultimately keeps them up. It's a one-star company deserving a null, packing their customers/passengers in uncomfortable Boeings.

GOL - by Patrick Meier

20 September 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 2 Star Rating

GIG-SSR Generally a fair service for such a short flight. The fact that GOL is not accepting foreign credit cards for online booking and only accepts Amex for purchase at the ticket counter it´s absolutely not acceptable for an airline that offers international flights !

GOL - by Kristian Laursen

6 September 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 4 Star Rating

Sao Paulo (CGH) to Rio de Janeiro (SDU). Boeing 737-800 quite new and good. There were serving with soft drinks and snacks for the flight for 40-45 minutes. Check-in and boarding was efficient and very smooth.

GOL - by D Hodson

30 June 2007  Customer Trip Rating : n/a

GIG-IGU via CWB. Very impressed with quick check-in, time keeping and professionalism. 737-400 a little tired now but did the job fine. Drinks and snacks served which considering each leg was 45-60mins, was an impressive feat. Considering the price paid for tickets, this was a bargain. Will definitely use them again next time I am in South America.

GOL - by Jeffrey Boen

5 November 2006  Customer Trip Rating : n/a

IGU via CWB to CGH and connecting to SDU. All flights on new aircraft arrived on time. Seats were comfortable, esp. for these three short flights. Unlike with European LCCs, the airfare was not really low cost, and complimentary snacks and drinks were served (by friendly F/As). Based on this experience, I can highly recommend GOL.

GOL - by Denis Marchand
6 September 2006

Gol is serving more and more regular routes in Brazil. It is starting to expand in the MercoSul as well. But the low cost aspect is all relative: some of their tariffs can exceed TAM´s. Still, efficient checking / boarding procedures are still worth the interest, and so are the relatively new 737 operated. The only negative point really would be the snacks provided: cereal bars on all domestic legs. Don´t forget to bring your own sandwiches if your flight makes several stop-over.