PAGE loading ... please wait!

fly540.com Passenger Reviews and fly540.com Customer Trip Reports

No Star Ranking Awarded

Add your fly540.com Review

No fly540.com Star Ranking

Customer Review scoring : fly540.com
6.3 out of 10  6.3 out of 10

FLY540.com Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Sonja van Reede    (South Sudan)

Flew Fly540 from Juba to Nairobi and back. The aircraft's used were not from Fly540's own fleet, but chartered. They were very old and dirty, one smelt extremely bad. Thankfully nothing happened, but I did not feel safe, and I will not fly them again.

FLY540.com Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Geoffrey Reid    (Canada)

Flew Fly540 from Zanzibar to Mombasa and Mombasa to Nairobi. Overall the service was prompt and efficient. For a "budget airline" they gave much better service than some of the other airlines we flew on in Africa.

FLY540.com Customer review :  10 May 2013 by Joel Chudleigh    (Japan)

Accra to Kumasi in Ghana with Fly540Africa in February whilst on a business trip in Ghana. I have flown low cost airlines in Europe before so had pretty low expectations. However - I found that booking a flight was easy via their website and also staff were friendly and helpful. It was a short flight so no food to comment on, the seats were pretty comfortable and although I am admittedly not very tall there was a comfortable amount of leg room. I would not hesitate to use Fly540 Africa again.

FLY540.com customer review :  19 November 2012 by Julia Ant (Belgium)

Used Fly540.com to fly from Zanzibar to Mombasa in June 2012. Flight departed even before schedule as soon as everyone was aboard. The plane was almost empty, maybe about 10-15 passengers. The arrival was also about 30 minutes earlier then expected. Plane was an older Bombardier. We were served with a bottle of drinking water upon boarding. Service was friendly. The flight was truly short and not much to comment on it. Should I need to travel within Africa once again, I'll take Fly540 without hesitation.

FLY540.com customer review :  19 September 2012 by M Ikenye (Kenya)

I flew with fly540 from to Nairobi to Eldoret and back to Nairobi and the service was great. From the flight to the cabin crew. Highly recommended. Timing for departure and arrival to the minute.

FLY540.com customer review :  5 September 2012 by W Pechler (Netherlands)

Flew Nairobi - Mombasa on September 2nd, 2012. Supposed to leave at 12h, eventually left at 15h when new plane from Mogadishu, Somalia arrived to take us to our destination. The scheduled plane was damaged so badly it couldn't be repaired in time. Weren't clearly notified of the delay, half an hour after the scheduled boarding time a woman told us there was a two hour delay 'at least', but nothing over the microphone on the speakers, we had to tell the others. Later on new information was only given when asked, they didn't take any initiative. Did all get two free sandwiches and a drink of choice though, with a value of about 500 shillings, which isn't too bad considering the flight cost about 2500 shillings each. Flight itself was okay, bit bumpy but could be due to the borrowed old F28-4000, flight attendants were nice, the cookies are disgusting but the free water on board is nice. In the end I'm glad my layover on Mombasa was 7 hours and the delay didn't make me miss my flight.

FLY540.com customer review :  8 August 2012 by Jens Sunesen (Denmark)

Zanzibar to Nairobi with a stopover at Mombasa (with immigration). All in all a good flight. No delays and we even got our luggage when we arrived. I cannot figure out why they get so poor reviews. During the flight we got orange juice, water and biscuits (do you expect to get anything from a budget airline). The only strange thing was the hand-written boarding cards but that's just another dimension to the African experience.

FLY540.com customer review :  8 September 2011 by B Klug (Germany)

MBA-WIL and NBO-MBA. Old Dash 8-100 on both flights with limited comfort - but okay for the 1 hr flight. Service on both legs consisted of 2 dry biscuits and cold drinks. Crew okay, but disappeared immediately after servicing the few passengers. Return flight was delayed 4 hrs with nearly no information.

FLY540.com customer review :  27 July 2011 by P G Karanja (Kenya)

Very basic airline with basic equipment on all levels. A bit expensive but they fly routes that few other airlines fly. Reliability is a serious problem with them and they give little consideration to your time. They will just call you and say that your flight is cancelled and then you have to spend an extra night at your destination. If they don't have your number, good luck.

FLY540.com customer review :  28 June 2011 by R Lemberger (UK)

Nairobi-Kitale and return. both flights were on time, plane noisy but comfortable, cabin staff helpful. Costs reasonable. Would recommend and will use again.

FLY540.com customer review :  17 April 2011 by M Hatleskog (Norway)

Nairobi to Malindi and Malindi to Lamu (both returns). We found them to be quite efficient and helpful for an African airline. They did however cancel our return flight from Lamu but did send out a search party to find us on the island for us to catch an alternative/earlier flight. Timings were good with no delays, in fact one flight left 40 mins early. I would have no hesitation in recommending Fly540 based on our experience. Aircraft a bit old but clean.

FLY540.com customer review :  30 March 2011 by B Terlouw (Netherlands)

We had some flights with fly540. First van Kampale to Nairobi and later from Nairobi to Mombasa and back. The planes are not new but safe. The prices for these trips was much lower than other airlines. Normally they fly on time but the last flight, from Mombasa to Nairobi they cancelled the flight (normally 5 times a day). I had a meeting in Nairobi so I asked for a solution. They arranged for us on another flight by another airline.

FLY540.com customer review :  22 January 2011 by Robert Stubbs (Australia)

My wife & I backpacked Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania over a few months. Used Fly540 twice - Kampala to Zanzibar (via NBO) and it was perfect. The price, on land service, inflight service, punctuality could not be faulted. At the end of our trip, we flew from Lamu (wonderful to relax there are 3 months backpacking) to NBO via Malindi. Same thing - saved us some 20 hours in a bus, on time, good service all round. The airline is part owned by Lonhro - a large corporate.

FLY540.com customer review : 11 August 2010 by Anna Weiland

4 Star Rating

I was on a flight with them from Kilimanjaro to Zanzibar via Dar es Salaam. Operated by a small 20 seater, but no complaints. Especially in the front there was enough room. Flight was delayed by one hour, but I guess thats was happens in Africa. Tickets could easily be booked online and we confirmed them again in their office in Arusha. Baggage limit is 20kg but although both of us had 25kg each, we could pass without paying more. Would definitely go with them again.

FLY540.com customer review : 21 April 2010 by A Macarron

4 Star Rating

We had a ticket to fly DAR-ZNZ, but on arrival to DAR from NBO, a member of the staff was waiting for us to inform us that the flight had been delayed - so much that they were putting us on another flight operated by a competitor. So we never got to fly with them but we were quite impressed at how they had arranged everything for us. The agent stayed with us at the gate until we departed. I thought it was great service.

FLY540.com review : 16 April 2010 by I Odanga

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

NBO-MBA. ATR-42 not exactly new but well kept. Courteous inflight staff - genuine smiles. Some refreshment option of coffee or soda and poorly packed 4 biscuits. Overall experience okay and suitable for the no frills traveller, especially for short haul. Always compare prices though because they are at times higher than those for the national carrier which operate bigger and much faster shuttles on the same route.

FLY540.com review : 1 September 2009 by D Boyle

4 Star Rating

Flight from Mombasa to Nairobi was delayed by 2 hours - these things happen. plane was good, service excellent - nice sandwich, a few biscuits and 2 beers. Many 'top-end' airlines cant match that!

FLY540.com review : 19 August 2008 : by N Butler

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

Fly540 service is dreadful. The DMC I work for had booked seats for four customers on its service arriving into Kichwa Tembo airstrip in the Masai Mara, scheduled to land at around 1030hrs. We were told by the airline to be at the airstrip at 1000hrs to collect our clients. At 1230hrs the aircraft still had not arrived and we were told that it had only just left Nairobi. At 1445hrs there was still no sign of the aircraft and Operations were no longer answering our calls. We finally got through to be told the aircraft would be landing at 1530hrs. Needless to say, at 1530hrs there was still no sign of the aircraft, and no explanation forthcoming from 540 as to how a flight that takes, on average, 30-40 minutes from Nairobi to the Mara, could have taken more than three hours. Only a week prior to this incident we had customers travelling back from the Mara to Nairobi and 540 told us to be at the airstrip at 1100hrs. We arrived at the airstrip on time, only to be told by those already there that the flight had landed, ten minutes early, and departed within five minutes without even waiting for our clients or calling the lodge to find out where they were (which all the other airlines do). As a result, our clients' itineraries were completely disrupted and we were forced to provide another night for them at the lodge, at our own expense, as none of the other airlines could accommodate them.

FLY540.com review : 12 August 2008 : by N Butler

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

The equipment 540 fly (DHC-8s and ATRs) are good-quality and reliable. Unfortunately, the equipment is the only thing those epithets apply to. I run a luxury camp in the Masai Mara and have been let down on countless occasions by Fly540 either not turning up at the time they request passengers to be at the airstrip, or not turning up at all! On the last occasion I had a travel editor from a large US news corporation and the chairman of a nationwide tourist board travelling and we ended up waiting five hours for a service which we were then told would not be stopping at the destination my guests were going to. When I emailed 540 to advise them of their unreliability and that fact that I would henceforth be using a competitor airline and would not be recommending their services, the response I received (via email) was: "ok, no problem", which I think speaks volumes to their attitude towards their customers.

FLY540.com review : 27 June 2008 : by S Babla

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

The planes are basic ATR and service is good. It is cheaper way of flying when connecting cities like Entebbe, Mombasa, Nairobi etc. Recommended for a frequent traveller who wants to budget his expenses. It is a low cost airline.