First Air Passenger Reviews and First Air Customer Trip Reports

Add your First Air Review

No First Air Star Ranking

Customer Review scoring : First Air
9 out of 10  9 out of 10

First Air customer review :  29 August 2014 by C Borg   (Canada)

I flew First Air (FA) from Edmonton to Cambridge Bay on Aug 21 and from Cambridge Bay (CB) to Iqaluit via Yellowknife (YK) Aug 24-25. Check in service in Edmonton was not the customary friendly FA service. The check-in agent lectured me for having my ticket from Edmonton to YK booked on one file and my ticket from YK to CB on another - the result of 2 different people making the bookings and paying for the ticket portions (out of my control). She at first refused to check my luggage all the way from Edmonton to CB and when I reiterated that I wouldn't have time to pick it up and re-check it in my 20 minute lay over in YK, she fiddled around on the computer for 10 minutes and checked my luggage all the way through to CB - my final destination that day, all on FA. She also changed my pre-selected seat from an aisle to a window seat several rows back without telling me; I caught that and asked her to change it back. In YK I went to the ticket counter to pick up my boarding pas s as instructed and found out that although my bag had been tagged all the way to CB, and although I had an official airline itinerary, I had no ticket from YK to CB. As my flight was close to boarding and I needed to get to CB that day, I bought another ticket for $1322. Today, Aug 25, on the flight from YK to Rankin Inlet (RI), which left YK at 10.00, a greasy chocolate chip muffin was served. From RI to Iqaluit we were served a disgusting tortilla circle with processed ham and a dollop of greasy cheese and potato salad. I guess that was the "hot meal" promised on the itinerary. If FA wants to get out of serving food, have options for passengers to buy food on the plane like other airlines or give your passengers fair warning. Plus, First Air no longer has any kind of user agreement with the Maple Leaf Lounge in Edmonton airport - a quietly taken away perk of travelling FA.

First Air customer review :  10 October 2013 by M Saidla   (Canada)

Flew First Air last weekend from YZF-YEG-YZF. They served us supper on the way down even though it was only a 90-minute flight. The food was very good too - Bison pie. They also serve free wine in generous portions and come around to top it up. Legroom was great - I don't know the exact seat pitch but it felt like sitting in Business class on other North American airlines. As well, they handed out free newspapers - your choice of the Yellowknifer, Edmonton Journal or National Post. Some might bemoan the lack of Television / radio, but the rest of the amenities more than make up for it. Staff were friendly and helpful too - they gave us an aisle and a window seat, and "blocked" the middle one so we'd have extra room to share (since flight was not full). Luggage policies are generous too - two checked bags, with max combined weight of 140lb. They even accepted a piece of furniture that I had bought at Ikea in Edmonton. The fare (on a seat sale) was quite reasonable to boot. Will definitely fly First Air again when given the option.

First Air customer review :  20 December 2012 by Susan Gammage   (Canada)

My flight to Rankin Inlet was on a 731 with First Air Airlines, at 10.30 am, out of Winnipeg. We had a lot more leg and elbow room, wider seats, free pillows, blankets and newspapers. The captain introduced himself and told us what to expect on the flight and the weather conditions in Rankin. When we reached cruising altitude, we were given a hot cloth, then offered 3 choices for breakfast. As we begin our descent, offered dinner mints.

First Air customer review :  31 July 2011 by Frances Vander-Reyden   (Canada)

Yellowknife (YZF) to Cambridge Bay (YCB), returning YCB to YZF to Edmonton. The service on these flights could make travellers on Southern routes a little envious. Except for YZF-YEG, flights were on ATR's, flight durations of approx 1.5 to 2 hours.> Offered hot towels, newspapers English and Inuktituk), pillows, hot or cold drinks, as well as cold breakfast and light meal boxes. Generous legroom made, and the attendant catered to every need. YZF-YEG on a B737 and the service was somewhere between a high level economy and business, legroom exceptional. A substantial hot meal (salad, bread, dessert, juice and 3 entree choices) with complimentary wine. First Air allows two free checked bags up to 70lbs each and generous carry-on allowance. No inflight entertainment on any of the flights but it didn't matter - from my window seats I enjoyed the Arctic landscape below.

First Air customer review :  11 July 2011 by Marie Allard   (Canada)

I travel very often, including on First Air. This is one of the last airlines (with its sister airline Air Inuit) to offer true service. Passengers are not treated as cattle, the meals are not just decent but actually good (with wine and special coffee) and the personnel most helpful and pleasant.

First Air customer review :  7 September 2010 by Lionel Lefebvre   (Canada)

YOW-YFB-YOW. Excellent hot meals, breakfast in the morning and lunch in the afternoon. 37 inch seat pitch in B737-200. Very friendly and outgoing flight attendants. Even free wine and a special coffee offered with lunch. Very expensive but so is everything else in Canada's Arctic regions.

First Air- by Gert Polet

16 May 2005

Flew First Air from Yellow Knife to Gjoa Haven and back in May 2000. Real flying in a two-prop machine, looking very sturdy and with magnificent views of the arctic. All on time etc. Good service on board by crew in no-frills jump suits. Recommended.