Finnair Passenger Reviews and Finnair Customer Trip Reports

Finnair Customer review :  28 October 2014 by R Simon    (Austria)

VIE-HEL on Oct 9 and return HEL-VIE on Oct 12, both legs in Economy. VIE-HEL on an A320 and HEL-VIE on an Embraer 190, both flights on time. Service on the VIE-HEL was lacklustre and it took the FA's almost an hour to get the service started. Sandwich (tuna or turkey and cheese) was actually quite large for airline standards and tasty, one round of drinks served, beer and wine for purchase only. After collecting the trash FA's went pretty much again into hiding mode. The aircraft on the return flight was changed from an Airbus to a smaller Embraer 190 “ operated by Flybe. Information was given only during check-in. Not sure what 'operated by Flybe'” means in practical terms, but it was a Finnair plane with a Flybe sticker beside the aircraft door, with Finnair service and Finnish flight crew. Probably, just a move to bring salary costs down. I find Embraers to be very comfortable planes and flight crew was attentive on the flight back to VIE. Catering was a substantial green and noodle salad, again tasty. Web check-in was smooth, although during the check-in process for the return flight we were asked, if we would volunteer to give up our seats, as the flight has obviously been overbooked. But no further information was given regarding alternative flights and compensation, so we obviously denied. Boarding in HEL was a bit chaotic and delayed, with no information given. However, staff managed to board the plane very fast, so flight was actually on-time. AY uses a shared lounge in VIE which is spacious with a decent drink and hot food selection. However, the snacks offered are of extremely poor quality. Schengen AY lounge in HEL has greatly improved with the renovations almost finished. Now that the lounge is substantially larger, it has still been well visited, but was not over crowded. Food and drink selection has improved, as well and was quite good. All in all, excellent product by AY, but according to their in-flight magazine, the free food and drink service will be replaced by a 'to purchase' product on European flights as of November.

Finnair Customer review :  23 October 2014 by P Pajulahti    (Finland)

Fly often HEL-LED-HEL. Flights are operated by Flybe. Extremely expensive tickets, no service. When Finnair operated the leg they gave juice or water for free. Nothing now. You just buy a ticket from A to B. Huge potential in LED, but sometimes flights are empty.

Finnair Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Trevor Young    (Australia)

We were initially a little apprehensive about booking with Finnair but the friendliness of the cabin staff convinced us it would be ok. The Business Class seat were quite comfortable and I slept soundly most of the flight. Food was good and appropriate for a late night flight from Singapore to Helsinki. Our return flight was Helsinki to HK and was equally good. I would have no hesitation in choosing this airline again.

Finnair Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Pickles Andrew    (Australia)

Flew HKG-HEL-LHR and return. All flights were pretty good. Despite some of the complaints on this page I found the food to be excellent and much better and tastier than the Qantas leg SYD-HKG. My only real complaint is the design of the new business class seats. In my view spaciousness between seats has been sacrificed on the altar of float beds. A flat bed is not the be all and end all in my view - certainly not when you cannot move your feet. The leg room when fully reclined for one of the single seats is so small you have to have your feet at a perfect 90 degrees to your legs with no more than the width of a shoe box at the foot end. The double seats are the converse - they have better leg room, but not so wide for the body and the seat next to the window is very claustrophobic. Despite this, Finnair presents excellent value for money. And on time performance is second to none.

Finnair Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Ronald Zwart    (New Zealand)

AY081, Y, 30 Sep, HEL to SIN. Late evening departure, got on board and wow, that seat looks well used - 23 D and E. Glad we got seats so close to the front of the Y Cabin, seats were old, well used and most uncomfortable - the aircraft is old but I do understand it being replaced soon. I'm certain once the newer aircraft come on line, the comments will be better for this particular route. Inflight service from the crew was good to very good, food quality was OK for Y Class, staff themselves were friendly and we got from A to B without incident and on time. Paid the extra to get access to the Finnair Lounge (EUR48.00 per person), but found it well worth it for the 5 hour transfer time that we had. First time on AY in Y Class, Rating 6/10, they will get better I'm sure with the newer long haul aircraft arriving soon.

Finnair Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Ronald Zwart    (New Zealand)

AY842, J, 28 Sep, AMS to HEL Biz cabin was full, service attentive and friendly. Food and drinks as expected for a 2.5 hour flight. Not that keen on the Y seating with centre seat kept free for a hugely higher airfare, but a little better inflight service. Aircraft A320 was clean. Lounge access at Schiphol Menzies lounge granted, but limited food and beverage choices - something can be learned from some other airlines on this one - needs improvement.

Finnair Customer review :  13 October 2014 by T Cogan    (UK)

LHR/HEL/BKK- Business. Very average. Seating poor, food poor, plane old. Entertainment was dreadful. When I complained they gave me a tablet which had even less on it! Only good thing is very generous with drinks and one very helpful female attendant. Male ones just seemed like they didn't want to be there. I ended up on this as using up BA air miles. There is a reason it's a cheap business class fare and that is because in comparison to most business class cabins today this is not business class. Message is simple. If you can afford to fly business class don't spend your money on Finnair!

Finnair Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Ivanovic Branimir    (Australia)

I travelled from Singapore to Helsinki, Helsinki to Copenhagen, from Munich to Helsinki and from Helsinki to Tokyo. What I like is that everything they do is with measure, no pressure, relaxing staff and excellent pilots. Friendly and respectful staff.

Finnair Customer review :  13 October 2014 by J Singh    (Australia)

Amsterdam to Singapore via Helsinki. Approached this flight with some trepidation after reading a lot of negative reviews on this product. Well it's definitely not Emirates but it also was not a bad experience for me. The connecting flight from Amsterdam was fine. A tiny curtained off Business section with economy seating with middle seats left vacant. A pleasant dinner, good Champagne and on time. From Helsinki to Singapore was one of the old A340s (OH-LQA in this case). First impressions were favourable with the cabin being spacious and clean. We had pre flight drinks and a snack and left on time. Once seated I tried the seat out, and it's more of a recliner but seemed ok. Menus, drinks and dinner all happened smoothly and quickly. I thoroughly enjoyed my supper. It's a bit of a no frills offering but enjoyable and had nice wines also. IFE is poor. The screens are tiny and the offering is limited and old. Didn't really matter as I wanted to sleep as much as possible and despite the seat being at quite an angle I managed a few good hours. Breakfast was simple but tasty. So overall the experience was a good one - on time, fed and slept well. If you want the deluxe business experience it's not this, but as a lower priced business option that keeps me out of economy it does the job admirably.

Finnair Customer review :  6 October 2014 by A Harnett    (Ireland)

Very, very disappointed with Finnair. I've flown them on the same route, Helsinki to Bangkok, in business class twice before and enjoyed the experience. Truly a 4 star airline. Sad to say that is no longer the case. The plane was an older Airbus A340-300. The seats are not 180 degrees, so difficult to sleep. The entertainment system was very poor. A small screen and less than 20 movies on offer. The food and the wine were the worst part. Two reds, both 2012, and hardly drinkable. The food is worst than AA, DL and UA, and that's saying something. Have they put an accountant in charge of food service? The staff however were very good.

Finnair Customer review :  2 October 2014 by N Ofenloch    (Germany)

I had to use Finnair twice within 2 weeks for lack of availability on Lufthansa / SAS flights, which I normally use. For good reason. Trip was FRA-HEL- MP (15th and 23rd September) and return (19th and 25th September). Both times, departure from FRA was delayed, on the 23rd the departure gate was announced only a few minutes before boarding was supposed to start. The stopover time in HEL is only one hour, and since my flight was not the only one that was late, the connecting flight to TMP was also delayed. Both times. On the trip back on the 23rd I had no checked luggage - luckily. Seemed like the computers were down, I had a mobile boarding pass, but everyone had to be checked manually from a printed list, free seating on the first leg of the flight - no announcement from the crew as to what was going on, the guy sitting next to me asked about his connecting flight (we were about 30 minutes delayed) and was simply told he has to pick up and re-check his luggage in Helsinki, then miss the flight, or catch the flight and then try to find his luggage later on - lots of other people had similar issues, but all that was said via the speaker system was that everyone has to pick up and re-check their luggage in Helsinki, nothing else. Absolutely no customer service, connecting flights wouldn't wait, if you wanted to catch the flight you would have to leave your luggage. The same then happened in Helsinki as well, nobody showed up at the gate to start the boarding process until about 40 minutes past the scheduled departure time. The lady had a printout and checked every name manually from that list. At least the assigned seats from prior online-check-in were still valid this time. On the first trip, I had luggage checked and both in TMP as well as in FRA it took forever to get it from the belt. In Tampere, the distance from the plane to the belt is maybe 30 meters. You'd think it would be manageable to unload the luggage in less time than 30 minutes (plane on that route is an ATR propeller-plane, very small). In Frankfurt, I understand that it takes longer, but I have had plenty of Lufthansa flights with apron- positions and even on those the luggage was on the belt after about 20 minutes. Finnair needed about 45 minutes for that. Another thing is that the desk service in Frankfurt is really terrible. The staff that handles the baggage drop is the same that handles the boarding - very unfriendly and sometimes even ignoring questions. Last but not least - the food is horrid. Some dry sandwich or bun with veggies on them. Either a hot drink or a cold drink. Now I read they want to get rid of free snacks on the European routes altogether. Anyway, I will not fly Finnair again, not voluntarily anyhow. Lucky that I book my own business trips and that Lufthansa / SAS has excellent service on the route to Tampere.

Finnair Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Alan Traves    (UK)

Flight LHR-HEL-HKG and return. The flight to Helsinki was fine, but the onwards flight to Hong Kong was a nightmare. The flight attendants looked like SS guards, and acted similarly. Although there was some turbulence, passengers were restrained from going to the toilets, making for a great deal of discomfort. On arriving in Hong Kong, things got worse. Those of us who arrived from London had no luggage, and the lost luggage clerk told us "that is not the second time this has happened this week". Further enquiry confirmed it to be the third time. While the luggage did turn up a couple of days later, this was a huge inconvenience and Finnair did not even bother answering our complaint. The return trip was staffed by similarly surly flight attendants so it too was less than an enjoyable experience. 1/10 based on the fact we arrived safely. The attitude of staff and their total lack of courtesy over the luggage merits the low score.

Finnair Customer review :  18 September 2014 by V Gorjanc    (Slovenia)

LJU-HEL-LJU. Perfect flights both ways. One of the best experience in intra-European flights. A320 cabin light and fresh, like new. Flight attendants professional and extremely friendly. Announcements from the cockpit before flight and before landing. Catering improved form my last flight with Finnair. Marimekko design adds some charm. Nice touch.

Finnair Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Thomson    (Australia)

BKK-HEL-AMS in business class and very satisfied with value for money. Long haul from BKK to HEL was on one of the old Air France A340s which we understand will be retired from the AY fleet soon. The disappointment of not having the new flat-bed product was outweighed by all the other positives of this day time flight. The queue for economy class check-in at BKK was huge whereas there was no-one waiting at all at the business class check-in and we were quickly and efficiently dealt with by a friendly agent. The CIP lounge used by AY in Bangkok was more than adequate for a short wait with plenty of hot and cold breakfast options, decent wi-fi, clean toilets and comfortable lounge areas with decent chairs. Priority boarding worked well with a separate airbridge for business class and we were greeted warmly as we boarded and promptly handed a glass of champagne that was topped up twice before we taxied to the runway, departing exactly on time. We were really pleased with the food at meal times and the snacks in-between meals, the wines and the excellent cloudberry liquer - a must try! The FAs were present in the cabin throughout the entire flight and could not have been more pleasant or helpful. Although the business class seats on this plane were old and recline to a flat but sloping bed, they were comfortable and spacious and for a day time flight were just fine. The IFE was also old and the screen was quite small, but we easily managed to find some movies we hadn't seen before to pass the time. Our transit time at HEL was only 45 minutes though we needn't have worried as HEL is such an easy airport to navigate - we were at our boarding gate for the flight to AMS in plenty of time. This short flight to AMS was also excellent. Priority boarding again worked well, the FAs again provided a great service, the meal and wines were again good, we arrived in AMS on time and our bags were amongst the first on the belt. The business class seats on intra-Europe flights are the same as economy with the middle seat kept free, however we were seated in row 1 and had plenty of legroom and space. We have travelled from Asia to Europe in business class on numerous occasions over the past years with a variety of well-regarded airlines including QF, BA, EK and TG, however our flights on AY were significantly cheaper than what these other airlines offer and we would fly business class with AY again without hesitation.

Finnair Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Laukkanen Lassi    (Finland)

HEL-YYZ return. Very nice flights both way. No delays. Cabin clean and nice. Food very tasty. Entertainment system improved and lot of films, TV programmes and music to choose. Finnair flight attendants are mostly very professional and friendly. From Toronto to Helsinki cabin crew were so wonderful, a good atmosphere in the cabin. You didn't feel that they were being nice just because it was their job.

Finnair Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Timothy Ow    (Singapore)

We flew Economy from SIN-HEL-LJU and then from DBV-HEL-SIN. The plane was an old but refurbished A340-300, and the IFE was updated. In terms of leg room and seat width, it is as good as you can get in economy for long haul flights (I typically use SIA/Emirates/Qatar). Quality of the food served was average. Service was good and attentive. Transit in Helsinki airport was very smooth - we had two airport layovers. In all, considering that we paid a very reasonable price, we were very satisfied with Finnair and would recommend them. In fact, because of my positive experience with them, I have also decided to fly to Finnair SIN-MXP in October 2014. Again the prices are very reasonable.

Finnair Customer review :  29 August 2014 by M Masters    (UK)

Flew from Manchester to Singapore in July 2014. I was recommended the airline by an agent who described them as an 'up and coming' airline. Price was the attraction so I went with it. Having read the reviews I was somewhat apprehensive but in general it was okay. Let's take the positives - flight times suited us as we did not suffer jet lag on either journey even though sleep was difficult. Crew were efficient and flights were all on time or early. Total flight time is as good as it gets for this journey. Now the negatives - planes are old and tired, the Airbus on the return flight even had ash trays. The breakfasts are inedible and the rest of the food is average to poor. Economy leg room is minimal for a 12 hour flight you certainly don't want to get next to anyone in the XL size range. Would I fly with them again - probably if the price is right.

Finnair Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Grant Win    (UK)

Flew SIN-HEL and then a few days later HEL-LHR. SIN-HEL - food was quite good, had two rounds of the drinks trolley (you get free wine and beer on this route not spirits). Staff were friendly. Seats were ok. However, entertainment was bad - VOD but nothing less than a year old. Also it's a 12hr overnight flight - why only dim lights for one hour? HEL-LHR was fine and we had a snack, not much to report.

Finnair Customer review :  15 August 2014 by K Singer    (Australia)

Flew SIN-HEL-ZRH return. With Finnair Business Class you get what you pay for. Finnair uses an old leased Air France Aircraft on these Routes and they have not been updated or refurbished for years. The seats are old and worn and certainly could use a bit of TLC. On the outward flight the inflight entertainment system in my seat was not working and the lights in Business Class could not be switched off during the night. Space is good but if in stretched out setting you tend to slide down the Seat. Cabin Service on all Flights was excellent but Cabin Crew were quite frustrated with the problems associated with those ageing aircraft's. The New Menu's advertised on Finnair websites was not offered on these Flights. Overall the Flights were reasonably Ok but Finnair Business Class on these old aircraft's is only second or third Tier compared to other Airlines.

Finnair Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Tapani Utunen    (Finland)

Flew MH to SIN in June 2014 and a CX+AY combo back late July - all Oneworld carriers. AY uses their A340-300 on the HKG route and was lucky to get OH-LQC (year 2007) on the HKG-HEL leg with their latest greyish interior and newest IFE. Some operational problems at HKG Airport: the plane was taken to gate at midnight just 20 mins before departure and finally took off 2 hours late due to heavy traffic, but arrival at Helsinki Airport only 30 mins late. Was lucky to get two seats on the last row for myself on this full flight, but the IFE didn't work on either seat so slept all the way. Two hot meals served on this 10 hr flight: two meal choices at night but only one option for breakfast - hot meals quite small but otherwise OK. Leg room and seat comfort was good enough for a 7-hour sleep. Cabin crew professional and friendly (a mix of Finnish and Asian cabin crew) and the flight pleasant in general, but cost cutting is visible in many areas which, quite frankly, puts Finnair way behind MH or CX.

Finnair Customer review :  7 August 2014 by R Stangl    (Vietnam)

HAN-HEL-VIE in Business, on time flights, great on-board service and comfortable seat on new generation A330 plane. Finnair Lounge appears to be closed in the European Transit area for renovation. Overall good value in comparison with the price paid for the product.

Finnair Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Tiana Vida    (Canada)

I flew from Toronto to Helsinki, Helsinki to Budapest (both flights were with Finnair). The staff were friendly and very nice. The food and the entertainment was excellent. Each seat in economy has their own television. Smoothest takeoff and landing I have experienced. Seats were a bit tight but that is what you get with long haul flights. On the way back we booked seats with the emergency exits and it was well worth it!

Finnair Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Heather Newman    (Australia)

I was very impressed with my Finnair flights, Bangkok to Helsinki, Helsinki to Paris, Helsinki to Bangkok. The staff were excellent, very focused on passenger comfort, satisfaction. The meals were excellent and served in courses as in a restaurant with dishes cleared with each course. The wine list was extensive. Entertainment options were limited but the selection available satisfied me.

Finnair Customer review :  4 August 2014 by H Kristian    (Denmark)

BKK-HEL-CPH on Economy. At the gate, I was upgraded to a business class seat, at no cost. This was very impressive, as I bought tickets on Economy. As soon as I boarded the plane, a welcome drink was served - either champagne or orange juice, together with a large choice of newspapers. I was flying on a rather old A340. The seat was alright - almost lie-flat and pretty comfortable. Only bad thing was the AVOD, it was really poor. As soon as we took off, the excellent service started. We got a menu, knowing that we would be served a 3-course menu, plus a light meal before landing (9am - 3pm flight). It consisted of an appetizer, a light meal before the main course. Main course and dessert with coffee and tea. Light meal before landing. All drinks, both alcoholic and non- alcoholic were of course free. There was also a rather extensive wine list, which I enjoyed. Throughout the flight, they offered snacks (fresh fruit, noodles, nuts, chocolates, sandwiches, chips and muffins in all forms), together with drinks and coffee/tea. Cabin crew were very friendly, very pro-active, and made sure everyone had a good time. Food was excellent, together with the cabin crew. Only negatives are the time of day, and their AVOD. Overall a very good experience.

Finnair Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Hamish Gunn    (Finland)

HEL-GVA return. Flight delayed for over an hour and re-routed due to stormy weather. Superb captain keeping all passengers informed, fully, in 3 languages. Very professional. Finnair stewardesses can be great or good, again always professional. Return flight excellent. Embraer 190 is a fine aircraft. Not sure why these Finnair flights are labelled Flybe, but not an issue. The only problem were the seatbelts, which seemed to fit only children!

Finnair Customer review :  23 July 2014 by A Phatak    (Norway)

Flew Seoul to Oslo, via Helsinki, business class. Plane was an old airbus. Had a 5 hour plus stopover at Helsinki. On arrival to Helsinki, discovered that the Finnair lounge is under renovation. No alternate arrangement for lounge access was made for business class passengers, although Finnair card members were accommodated elsewhere. No prior warning about lounge was given. If I had known this earlier, I would have taken a different airline.

Finnair Customer review :  16 July 2014 by R Laurel    (Australia)

I flew from Helsinki to Singapore. This flight was disappointing, the service at the desk took far too long, the lounge at the airport was poorly manned and took over 10 minutes to for the lounge manager to see us. In the lounge they were missing milk, bread and salad dressing. At the international side of the airport the lounge was stylish but lacking in comfort and options. The seats on the plane were uncomfortably small and the leg space was very limited. The customer service on the plane was poor, the stewardesses were unfriendly and never smiled, one stewardess was charging customers for non-alcoholic drinks until a customer pointed out that they were free (as this was an international flight), the food was mediocre and the entertainment system was limited with few good movies. I don't recommend flying with them.

Finnair Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Gable Richard    (Australia)

Flew Singapore - Helsinki early June, plane was an older but very comfortable A340, entertainment system was not video on demand and pretty basic but the aircrew were very good and attentive, return trip in mid July was in a younger A340 with a very good entertainment system which made the trip pass quite quickly, aircrew also very friendly and attentive. We flew Perth - Singapore - Helsinki then after a couple of days in beautiful Helsinki 2 hour ferry to Tallinn then flew on to Copenhagen, this is really the most relaxing and stress free way into Europe and we recommend it to everyone, beats that long haul flight into hassle Heathrow by a very long shot.

Finnair Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Daniel Sanders    (Thailand)

Flying Bangkok - Helsinki - Bangkok in Business. I already knew that they are going to use that old, ageing A340 that used to serve Air France before so I did not expect much. However the food was quite nice. Wines were good and cabin staff were OK. Seat was bad like I knew beforehand but it was alright as it was a day flight. Entertainment system was very bad, worst I've seen. I know that they are going to replace the plane next year but still, it was not a very good experience in regards of flying in Business. They should have provided at least some Tablets for entertainment etc. Return flight was worse: It was too hot and the Asian-Western - fusion menu was not good. I didn't want any rice or noodles, I wanted to eat something good quality - European/Western prime meat or some Mediterranean fresh dishes combined with good nice wine, most of the 3 mains were oriental style and the selection was worse than inbound flight. Sleeping was not possible because of the heat in the cabin and also because of the angle of their seats. I also did not enjoy their hot breakfast served in the middle of the night - far too long before landing. Marimekko-brand interior things are nice.

Finnair Customer review :  1 July 2014 by H Kristian    (Denmark)

25/6/2014 - 26/6/2014. Flew from Copenhagen, Denmark, via Helsinki, Finland to Bangkok, Thailand. The first leg from Copenhagen to Helsinki was smooth, left on time, cabin crew very attentive, and overall a good experience. Free non-alcoholic beverages on the short leg. Second leg, was alright. I left in the afternoon, therefore it would be hard to rest. We were served dinner, which was either vegetarian pasta or noodles with chicken in gravy with vegetables. It was very tasty. If I have to point out anything negative, it would be the time of day (5pm- 7am). Hard to sleep. I was flying with a very modern, clean and good looking A330, with a small, but usable AVOD. Selection of movies were poor. We were served breakfast as well, but no choices. A sausage, a rosti and scrambled eggs, with a dry bun, margarine, coffee and apple juice. It was alright. Again, cabin crew were nice, attentive and pro-active. Overall good, and I would fly Finnair again.

Finnair Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Heinonen Lauri    (Finland)

I flew with Finnair on flight AY006 from New York to Helsinki on 21st June 2014. Finnair has some problems with the plane they usually use in this route, it was being repaired and Finnair used another plane. The plane Finnair decided to use was rented from Privilege Style Airline, Spain. This replacement plane was the worst I have ever flown with and I fly quite a lot. I'm totally blown away that Finnair decided to use worn out plane with no entertainment system on intercontinental long haul route. This is total underestimation of customers. Finnair is marketing the route with good planes, comfort, entertainment systems etc. The service I received was really bad, seats were worn out (they had ashtrays), plane was worn out and no entertainment system at all. Finnair made a decision to rent this plane, it means that they clearly do not think their customers. Really bad. If you need to fly between Helsinki and New York, reconsider using Finnair in this route if Privilege plane is still used.

Finnair Customer review :  17 June 2014 by G Palmer    (UK)

LHR-BKK return in April/May in business cabin. The odds were against it being a perfect experience from the start, as when I'd booked it both long-haul flights were on their A330s with the 'new' lie-flat beds. A few months out and one of the flights changed to their ex AF A340s, a month out and both flights changed. Felt like a bait and switch. Frankly would have booked on Austrian if I'd known there was the chance of the hard product being downgraded. Flight from London - HEL was nice, in one of their new A321s with sharklets - I've done this route before, and realised that frankly the older planes are better. They have the dropdown screens that show you take- off and landings and track the flight. The A321s are really bare bones in terms of passenger amenities, I understand they're planned for AYs leisure routes. A plus though was the friendly cabin service, ok catering, and a samsung 8 inch tab they handed out with pre-loaded videos, films and music. HEL airport and lounge again ok, nothing much to write home about. HEL-BKK in the A340 - Ok, have to say, it's not as bad as lots of people make it out to be (at least up front) - I'm not sure if the galleys are different on it so AY just serves their much publicised new menus on the A330s - So again food was more standard fare than what you were led to expect from the website. Seat recline is good for an angled bed, expect it to be 170 degrees. However cabin way too hot for comfort, and the cabin does deserve a spring clean - hear that Finnair? Honestly, the dark beige plastic shell of the seats, on closer look, started life as light beige plastic. Didn't help that my friend's tray table and video screen was covered in coffee - I spent 5 minutes when we got aloft wiping down all our touchable surfaces within reach as a result. Food and drink selection quite decent, have to say had the tastiest (if not most elegant) breakfast ever, and freshest croissant. Flight back from Bangkok similar but no cleaning required, loved the mid flight snack brought round on a presentation trolley with fruit salad and fresh hot cinnamon buns a lovely touch, but no sandwiches, pot noodles etc for a savoury alternative. Transfer in HEL you have to go through security which is a pain, but we were soon through and being bussed (another distinct disadvantage to HEL) out to the A321 back to LHR - Crew great on this leg too. All in all service 8 or even 9/10, hard product 5/10, IFE short haul 8/10, IFE long haul (A340) 4/10, food 7/10.

Finnair Customer review :  10 June 2014 by S Tsoy    (Russia)

HEL-LHR. I would have recommended Finnair if their ground operations were not as appalling. Flight was delayed by an hour with no information from airport staff at HEL. The A320 was clean and new, seats comfortable and having good legroom. The flight crew were very professional and managed to make 4-5 runs of drinks for a 3-hour flight. Though, absence of hot meals was a quite disappointing as well as the fact that for a full service fare you still had to buy all the snacks and most of drinks. On arrival waited for 1 hour for bags to be delivered at LHR. Enquiries told that Finnair "could not find staff to deliver baggage from plane to airport". I cannot recommend this airline if they do not improve their ground operations.

Finnair Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Willliam Buchanan    (USA)

I flew Finnair from Helsinki to Toronto on 3 June 2014 and was extremely disappointed. The seats were extremely cramped (much less space than the Economy seats offered by BA on the trip over on 27 May 2014). As other disgruntled Finnair travelers have noted, the flight was delayed, in my case by just a little over an hour, however this seems to be a recurring problem with Finnair. I was extremely disappointed with the entertainment system provided, the audio quality was so poor in the movies, I finally just switched the thing off and spent the remainder of the flight trying to get comfortable in a ridiculously cramped seat. The food and beverage service was not much better. The food could only be described as adequate and Finnair only provided complimentary wine with the first meal, if you want more you have to purchase it at 6 Euros per glass, which is a ridiculous price for non-premium wine and there are no complimentary alcoholic drinks other than the beer/wine option with the first meal (this also compares poorly again with BA which makes all alcoholic drinks free for the entire flight). This was my first time flying Finnair and I will never fly it again.

Finnair Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Joanna Graff    (Spain)

I recently flew MAD-HEL-TLL and back. All 4 flights were delayed. We booked tickets at the end of December last year and paid for premium seats, which have not been kept until check in, so at the end we sat in other similar seats. Catering on shorter flight was non-existent, for 4.5hr flight MAD-HEL and HEL-BCN was just a small snack, cold or hot with a drink, the crew then disappeared for the entire duration of the flight. Considering the price and other surcharges, delays and non-existent customer care (they did not respond to our mail regarding pre- assigned paying seats), we would not fly them again!

Finnair Customer review :  25 April 2014 by Marcus Nyberg    (Sweden)

Stockholm - Helsinki - (Hong Kong) - Helsinki - Beijing - Hong Kong - Helsinki - Stockholm. We tried to go to Hong Kong but had to return to Helsinki airport due to a faulty hydraulic pump. I guess this is something that can happen. However, having to sit in a very hot airplane for a whole night before being told that the flight is cancelled is not very pleasant. Neither, is the treatment from the ground staff more or less ignoring everyone but the business class passengers. We eventually got some help and were rebooked for a flight the next day. The flight back home was on time, but the plane was very old with an outdated entertainment system and very cramped seats. Will not travel Finnair again if there is another alternative.

Finnair Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Paul White    (Australia)

Made 2 flights with Finnair in April 2014. Bangkok to Helsinki and Helsinki to Paris. Both in Business class. Both planes were new and spotlessly clean. They left and arrived on time. The A330 from Bangkok had seats that extended out to become a bed and was extremely comfortable. The flight crew on both flights were attentive, friendly and accommodating. The food offered plenty of choice and was better than I've had from other airlines. The whole experience was very positive.

Finnair Customer review :  17 April 2014 by M Nikola    (Denmark)

Their short flight services are just a total circus. Had two different return flights with them last month both in Europe. One from Helsinki to Budapest and one from Helsinki to Gdansk. Luggage restrictions, food and beverage PRICES, and in general regular prices for tickets made me feel like fool for paying "full service" and flying low cost. Big disappointment.

Finnair Customer review :  10 April 2014 by M Studzinski    (Poland)

Warsaw-Helsinki, Business Class. Flight operated by FlyBE, on Embraer aircraft. Flight on time, nice and attentive cabin crew. Hot food served (some kind of chicken tortilla) with box of Godiva chocolates. Very smart and modern design of drink glass ( like iceberg). Some downpoints - business seating is the same as economy, which would be ok, unless you are having huge food tray in front of you and trying to eat. Seat next to should be kept empty, like other airlines do. Because Finnair added some folded stairs to this airplane type ( never seen it before), only one toilet, at the rear is available for all passengers. Not too comfortable. Very long wait for a bags after arrival, more than 30 mins.

Finnair Customer review :  10 April 2014 by Joseph Selvanayagam    (Australia)

SYD-Narita, QF 21, 6th April. Narita-Helsinki, AY 74, 7th April. Helsinki-London, AY 833, 7th April. Having been a Qantas Frequent Flyer for over 20 years and a Platinum for more than the last 6 years, I have rarely had a more enjoyable trip (taken with my two sons, 10 and 9 years). The seat comfort, service, and friendliness of the staff was excellent (and better than most flights with Qantas, BA or American). When combined with the reasonable cost of these business class fares, in my view it is a no brainer to fly Finnair for this sector (Asia into Europe).

Finnair Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Lopez Roberto    (Costa Rica)

First segment CDG-HEL on a E190 operated by FlyBe, regular economy class seat in business cabin, seat width, pitch, comfort, only real difference was lounge access at Paris Airport and full hot meal provided. Second segment: HEL-JFK on a A330, not with the new business configuration, however lie flat seat was comfortable for a 8 hour daytime flight. The real gem was the crew, superb service, attention to details, service always provided with a smile. Food was very tasty and wine list quite good as well.

Finnair Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Lassi Laukkanen    (Finland)

PRG-HEL with A319. Very smooth baggage drop in Prague. Too choices for complimentary sandwich. Beer 4 euros, not expensive. Boarding easy. Finnair has very nice flight attendants, they were excellent. At Helsinki door was open to cockpit and captain smiled goodbye to passengers. That was nice. Overall very nice experience.

Finnair Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Lassi Laukkanen    (Finland)

HEL-PRG. Plane was Embraer 190 operated by Flybe. Small plane but seat pitch okay. Not any entertainment. Complimentary soft drinks and sandwich. Low rating because a purser was so rude. Other flight attendants were friendly. I can recommend Finnair but not Flybe operated flights.

Finnair Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Williams Anthony    (UK)

BKK-HEL-MAN last week in business. Superb flight in every way. Transfer in HEL was very short but this proved to be no problem. Last sector in business on FLYBE which was fine. Very impressed.

Finnair Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Laukkanen Lassi    (Finland)

Short flight HEL-ARL. Online check in always nice. Baggage drop at Helsinki Airport was just a joke. Friday evening and only two desks open and one for special luggage. I was waiting there 25 minutes, too long for bag drop. It's a reason for so low a rating. I had enough time but there was very nervous people in the queue making waiting especially uncomfortable. I can not accept Finnair slogan "Peace of mind" before and after the flight. Ground staff anyway nice and friendly. Flight was delayed 50 minutes due weather. Flight was very comfortable with new A320. I had an exit seat and was sitting alone on that row. Complimentary soft drinks. Cabin crew courteous and very professional. Its almost standard with Finnair.

Finnair Customer review :  30 January 2014 by Jennifer Bentley    (UK)

LHR-HEL-SIN, HKG-HEL in Jan 2014. Short haul was pleasant. Lounge at Helsinki was fairly quiet but this obviously depends on the time of day. On HEL-SIN sector, we had seats 6 A and C, bulkhead in the A340. We got some rest but the seat is not conducive to sleep. Why on earth any airline serves a meal at midnight defeats me, so we declined and tried to get some sleep. On arrival at SIN we had use of Qantas lounge for our ongoing flight with BA codeshare. Overall the flight and lounges for the outgoing sector were fine. The return was awful: Finnair uses Plaza Premium lounge at HK which is poorly equipped, uncomfortable old seating, and it's a very long walk to the gates. No announcements were made (and we were told this), but the only flight screen info is one which scrolls through the next 24 hrs flights. With no help from the lounge staff, we decided to make our way to the gate about 45 mins before departure: a good thing we did, since the flight was not showing as boarding as we left the lounge, but the extremely long walk to the gate meant that we were some of the last to board. Although the flight was scheduled to be on an A330 with flat bed seats, it was an old 340 and sleep was difficult. Staff are pleasant but not particularly proactive. Not sure I'd fly with AY business again unless I was assured of a flat bed. I understand they are upgrading most of the fleet this year.

Finnair Customer review :  28 January 2014 by N Petersen    (France)

FRA-HEL-HKG. First time that I took Finnair, and I was rather disappointed. Positives: FRA-HEL was very convenient, comfortable seats, decent food, quick transfer at Helsinki airport, free WIFI at the airport. However, the flight to Hong Kong was horrible. The plane was about 20 years old (it still had ashtrays in every seat), seats were very uncomfortable, service was slow and unfriendly (only four FA for the whole economy class), and the food was uneatable. On the return flight to Helsinki, the plane was at least new and the seats were ok, but service and food were as bad as on the first leg.

Finnair Customer review :  20 January 2014 by G Paul    (UK)

Finnair long haul London-Helsinki-Hong Kong and return. Flight out was fine but very firm seats and a lack of films to choose from. The flight back was much better seats were comfortable more films and the food was pretty good, service while not up there with Air NZ or Singapore was perfectly measured for the flight. The plane, the A340-300, love this old beast its shorter than the 600 series handles bad weather better, not sure what all the other people are moaning about. I flew Qantas on the HK to Brisbane leg and the inflight system on their planes was shocking, A330 planes are average compared to a 777. Finnair did the job, that's good enough for me.

Finnair Customer review :  20 January 2014 by L John    (Spain)

Flew from HEL-BCN on 15th January. Flight was on time and boarding was quick and efficient. The aircraft was very clean and the interior had a nice light colour to it. In the air, we were served a simple but delicious meal, as well as free complementary drinks. Crew was professional and mature. My only complaint is the reduced legroom available on economy class flights.

Finnair Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Antony Miller    (UK)

Heathrow-Helsinki-Heathrow, AY 840, AY 3125, 2 Jan and 6 Jan. Customer handling, punctuality, service and catering are all faultless, but Finnair Business Class has a certain style which is very calm, measured and Scandinavian. You are made to feel more like a guest at a charmingly managed dinner party than passengers in an aeroplane. I look forward to my next flight.

Finnair Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Y Ren    (Australia)

Riga-Helsinki-Beijing in Economy. We redeemed two Finnair tickets using Qantas points. Finnair sent us a couple of welcome emails and highlighted the online check in option. We did online check in 24 hours before the departure. As a Oneworld Sapphire member, we picked front row seats. Check in at Riga airport was eventful, staff are not really familiar with Beijing's 72 hours transit visa on arrival. It took a while for her to understand and sorted out all the luggage and boarding passes. Finnair is using Riga's airport lounge, It is a very nice lounge. Finnair's subsidiary flyBe is flying Riga to Helsinki. It was a full flight and cabin crews are very friendly and helpful. Transit in Helsinki is very easy. Lounge in Helsinki airport is nice and food was plentiful. Helsinki Beijing flight was half full and staff did a good job. I love Finnair, it is a great airline and has consistent good service.

Finnair Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Lehtinen Mikko    (UK)

6 Jan 2014, HEL-LHR. Good lounge in Helsinki, onboard excellent purser in business and food good. Seat is like in economy but middle seat empty. I really like Finnair business class.

Finnair Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Marco Romanov    (Finland)

Helsinki to Bangkok in Business Class. Boarding was made by bus, so no priority for Business passengers - Shame. Very old plane (A340) with old seats and very ancient IFE! Screens did not work properly and the picture was with bad quality. Food on board was not very tasty but ok. They also forgot the printed menu lists on board so I could not choose what to eat really. I don't like their new menu because they try to serve you some "fusion Asian" with no Western options. Wines on board are still ok. The staff was mature like always on Finnair flights, not very happy looking but still ok. Asian stewards were the best and most polite. I would still recommend them, but I hope they get rid off that old plane.

Finnair Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Bolz Christian    (Germany)

Frankfurt - Helsinki - Beijing. The seats were relatively comfortable, however since I am very tall, all economy class seats don't offer enough space for me. The food was quite good and also the inflight entertainment program offered several new movies from Hollywood, Korea and other countries as well as TV series and music. Both flights were on time.

Finnair Customer review :  30 December 2013 by Lassi Laukkanen    (Finland)

CDG to HEL. Plane A321. Nice and clean cabin. Flight on time. I had seat on exit row, so good legroom. Two alternatives for snack: turkey sandwich or tomato-mozzarella sandwich. Turkey sandwich was tasty. Soft drinks complimentary. Chocolate before landing is nice. Three euros for newspapers is expensive, Videos on TV screens and also some old Finnair commercial films because Finnair celebrates this year their 90 years. That was nice. Cabin crew superb, very friendly and attentive.

Finnair Customer review :  9 December 2013 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

HKG to HEL. Economy. I usually fly premium economy but no chance on Finnair. All clean and correct but really this is the most basic long haul option to Europe from Hong Kong. The minimum of food and drink offered, seats small pitch and TV units pretty dated. Until they introduce a premium economy section I wouldn't bother again. The time saved with this direct flight was wasted as I felt too tired the day I arrived.

Finnair Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Tapani Vuola    (Finland)

A business trip HEL-CPH-HEL. Nothing to complain about, easy check-in (for both directions), bus transfer in Helsinki to the plane, coffee and juice served both ways, sandwiches for sale (bought one, found it tasty), very friendly crew both ways, fresh plane (and I like the Marimekko paper cups and serviettes etc.), flights on time or even a bit before the schedule. Oh, the IFE consists on hanging TV's playing the Montreal version of Candid Camera.

Finnair Customer review :  25 November 2013 by D Cremer    (Germany)

I have become a big Fan of Finnair. DUS-BKK in J for 1250 Euros is an extremely good price, and they offer those for almost all their Asia-Flights. The new Seat (Full Flat) is amazing. We had the old Seat on the Way back. Good enough and AY are losing those Seat mostly in 2014. Food ist good - I like the signature Soup. It's a nice touch. Crew - as on every Euro-Airlines. So and So. But mostly friendly older Ladies. Overall for the Prices offered the best Choice in Oneworld. I found the IFE to be better than I read here. Although its surely not a System like Qatar's or Emirates. Big Plus: The Stress-Free Airport. Small, nice, connecting in Helsinki is bliss. I will most definitely fly with Finnair again, just booked a very cheap Flight to NRT.

Finnair Customer review :  21 November 2013 by M Pajunen    (Finland)

Helsinki to Madrid in Business Class in October 2013. They exceptionally used a larger A330 aircraft on this four hour flight, it was a special training flight for their new Spanish crews. The crew training made the service a bit slow but on the hand the passengers got some extra attention, overall the crew was attentive and friendly. No meal choices, the served dinner was rather tasty but the portions could had been larger, the drink selection was good. The seat comfort was ok, this aircraft still had the older angled lie-flat Business seats.

Finnair Customer review :  21 November 2013 by L Mah    (Australia)

We flew Singapore - Helsinki and checked in online and reserved our seats in Row 32 only to be given Row 66 and there was no changing as the aircraft was full. No apology given. There was no legroom and when the person in the seat in front reclined their seat there was no room to move at all. The seats were uncomfortable and hard. The staff forgot to put the brake on the food trolley and it rolled down the aisle. The food was overheated, dry and tasteless. No refills were offered for drinks. Half the video screens on the plane didn't work. Would never fly Finnair again.

Finnair Customer review :  21 November 2013 by Sami Järvinen    (Finland)

I flew from Hong Kong to Helsinki via Finnair. I was shocked by the seat layout of this plane, I really had to wonder was this Finnair? The seats were the most uncomfortable, smallest ones I have sat in ever, and I have travelled quite a bit. The inflight entertainment units were basically mid 90s gameboys! Ryanair etc had more leg room and general comfort. Perhaps for a short flight such extremely uncomfortable seating arrangements would be ok, but for a 10 hour flight it was a joke. Finnair rides on this image of Nordic excellence, its time to re evaluate.

Finnair Customer review :  20 November 2013 by Alex Snelling    (UK)

Flew business class from London to Helsinki then on to Singapore, return from Hong Kong to Helskini. You get what you pay for. Finnair are operating OH-LYF and OH-LYG Airbus A340s on these routes which are 16 year old Air France aircraft. Cabins had not been refurbished in November 13 just refreshed. Despite the dated and worn feel of the cabin, comfort was actually pretty good and I was able to sleep on both long haul legs on the angled lie flat bed. Power at seat is for French or American adapters and did not work on either leg. IFE is basic, unbranded and offers a small selection of on demand video, music etc delivered via a low resolution screen. Headphone socket is standard aircraft twin jack, you can bring your own headphones if you wish. Food was very good and cabin crew were excellent on the outbound and good on the return. On the return the aircraft lighting wasn't behaving itself and the automatic safety briefing wouldn't work, these aircraft are showing their age! The main problem was this trip was living with the uncertainty of if the flights would be cancelled due to Finnair staff strikes. Also on the short haul first trip out a catering strike meant only cheese sandwiches were available! To be fair to Finnair they keep you up to date. Overall, given the price this is a competitive and value for money way to get to Asia in comfort. Helsinki airport is brilliant for transfers which only involve a 100 yard walk from one gate to the next. If Finnair updated their tired planes on the routes and sorted out their Unions this could be excellent.

Finnair Customer review :  19 November 2013 by Wolfgang Hahn    (Germany)

Flights Hamburg to Helsinki and to Bangkok in Business. Flight Hamburg to Helsinki (AY 2854) poor Catering in Business, due to a strike of caterers. Unacceptable waiting time in the airport bus at the aircraft. Boxes of cheese sandwiches were be delivered, while the passengers were stuck in the bus in front of the airplane. Bad co- ordination. Apparently no contact between check-in counter and cockpit. Flight 089 from Helsinki to Bangkok smooth and with normal business service. In Bangkok surprisingly Vouchers for the Immigration Fast Tracks. Finnair Germany told me before, there were no Vouchers for Fast Track. That's why I paid a VIP Service at Bangkok Arrivals. In vain. Finnair in Europe obviously don't know that they offer Immigration Fast Track permissions to their passengers. Not very professional. But: Flight itself was smooth, professionally handled and enjoyable. I would fly them again.

Finnair Customer review :  18 November 2013 by C Kong    (UK)

The flight was on time and it got us there safely. Helsinki to Hong Kong. However, we were travelling with an infant of 13 months who we had to pay almost 50 euros extra for. That was fine, as all airlines charge for infants even sitting on our laps, but while other airlines would automatically give us the baby friendly seats (i.e. the first row of the cabin), Finnair wanted to charge us extra for it (remember we have already paid for our baby). I called the UK office a few days before our flight to check if our seats would be automatically allocated due to us travelling with an infant. I was told, by a friendly staff, that I had to wait unless I pay. I then checked two days before our flight, I discovered that we were allocated to the centre of the centre row in the middle of the cabin! Since we were flying an Airbus A320, we would have fellow passengers on either side of us. So I had to call again to explain it would not be very convenient for us and for other passengers. It took another day before our seats were rearranged to the side of the aircraft. So I would say don't go with Finnair if you intended to travel long haul with a baby. Unless you want to paid twice for the baby. Overall, we found the seat less comfortable than other airlines on a similar route and the food portion was on the small side. When we return we are going to paid the extra (120 Euros for the two of us) for the baby friendly seat because we can't face another 10 hours cramped in two seats. We are not looking forward to our return flight.

Finnair Customer review :  10 November 2013 by M Graham    (UK)

London to Hong Kong via Helsinki. The short flight to Helsinki was fine being only 3 hours, however the second leg from Helsinki to Hong Kong was not so good. We got there safely with our luggage but the seat was cramped and uncomfortable. The arm rests do not go up fully. I did not eat as it was a night flight so have no comment on that. The flight was on time.

Finnair Customer review :  23 October 2013 by M Ihantola    (Finland)

HEL-JFK-HEL in October. A333 OH-LTT on both flights. Flights on time, boarding efficient. Spacious cabin, leg room surprisingly alright (especially if there was no IFE box under the seat in front of you). Online check-in so-so: had to try 4 times to get one of our party of 3 checked-in, with the other two there were no problems. Got to choose our seats from what seats were still available, which was fine. We also had quite a lot of trouble with their online services before the flight. Cabin crew very nice on first flight, on second flight a bit brusque except one male FA who was working at the rear of the galley and proved to be both courteous and funny. Finnish accent quite heavy in all the PA announcements made in English. On return flight, the First Officer gave a humorous "welcome to Helsinki" by describing - very accurately - the currently lousy weather conditions. Pre- ordered gluten-free meals had to be personally asked for onboard but once delivered, were tasty. Although, the gluten-free breakfast with Finnair is an insult: a banana and one, dry rice cake wrapped in plastic. The regular economy meals seem to come with a choice of two (a vegetarian pasta or chicken etc.) but on second flight there was no choice left when the meal service reached the rear rows of the cabin. Wine, beer and sodas are served free of charge, spirits you have to pay for in economy. IFE perhaps a bit limited with choice compared to other airlines but we found it sufficient enough. Bonus points for Finnair for their exciting "Front camera" view as a part of their IFE service, especially if it's available during take off. Before landing on JFK, FA's announced that when returning to Finland, make sure you have enough time for the long lines to security check. Well, at bag drop at JFK, the Finnair desk doesn't open until some 2 hours before boarding time. A bit mixed messages, perhaps? All in all, Finnair does it's job: takes you safely there and back, with decent food and some entertainment. Don't expect anything spectacular, I'd say Finnair is a pretty decent airline.

Finnair Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Y Ng    (Hong Kong)

I took Finnair from Helsinki to Shanghai on 20 Oct, the flight was a bit old, with a very small TV screen and outdated functions. Quite a lot of films were unable to be played. The worse part is the services, not to mention their delay, their Chinese crew members are rude, not smiling and always gossiping behind the cabin. The only good thing for Finnair is their food.

Finnair Customer review :  21 October 2013 by D Choudhury    (India)

Went for Business Class because of the reasonable pricing. While travelling from Delhi to Helsinki to Paris, the aircraft for the DEL-HEL sector was an A330 fitted out with the new Finnair business class seats and decor. It was reasonable, the flight was comfortable, I missed the flat bed, but overall it was not uncomfortable. Food was decent too - no complaints. From Helsinki to Paris, the business class turned out to be disappointing, economy class seats with the middle seat left vacant. There was no entertainment and not much variety of food, but still decent. On the way back from Amsterdam to Helsinki in business class, same situation as Helsinki to Paris, but bearable and food this time was pretty good. The horror started from Helsinki to Delhi. Flight was delayed by over 5 hours and the Finnair lounge where I was stuck had atrociously little food. From lunch through to dinner, there was nothing except salad, a coldish sweet potato soup and just one main dish of chilli con carne. After boarding the flight which this time was an A300, I realised that this still had the old business class which was uncomfortable. The food was decent, but the air temp they maintained in the cabin was atrociously warm and I kept waking up through the night sweating. I requested them to regulate the AC better, but no luck. The worst part was the beds, it contorts to all sorts of angles if you are trying to sleep, and your spine is pushed up and you nearly slide down because the leg rest is maintained at such an odd angle. I kept trying to push myself up through the night as I kept sliding down, and I saw the same thing happen to several people. It is absolutely unacceptable. Finally I had no choice but to just sit upright. A word for the crew - all the cabin crew in all sectors are very friendly and helpful though.

Finnair Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Wolfgang Bohrke    (Germany)

SHA-HEL-FRA. Staff were great - flight was good, food on way back from SHA was lousy. Aircraft in best condition - but in HEL we had to wait onboard for take-off for at least an hour! The reason was: The catering containers had to be loaded! 1 hour waiting on a 2 hour flight. The "Snack" we had been waiting for was some paper-wrapped noodle salad, some lettuce without any dressing or whatever should taste of salad. This final experience turned our review into negative.

Finnair Customer review :  17 October 2013 by Pruthi Navreet    (India)

Business, DEL-HEL-CDG and return LHR-HEL-DEL. Oct 7-15. After reading the reviews was apprehensive. Must say pleasantly surprised. Service was good with plenty of drinks around. DEL-HEL, newish A330. Good seats comfortable, daylight flight, did not sleep hence don't know on the full recline. Food though less in quantity was not bad. HEL-CDG, 50 mins transit, was apprehensive on baggage. Made it. A321 flight was not bad, food not great. Chicken curry served did not work for me. Return - LHR-HEL, Lounge was neat, clean with limited spread. Flight was fine, A321, food Ok, small portions. 5 hours wait at Helsinki. Lounge was nice, new. Packed with traveler's. Food Choice of main was limited. Salad, soup, rice and chilli con carne. Cookies and muffins available. Hard liquor had to be paid for, Wine, Champagne, Beer available. Flight HEL-DEL, oldish A330. Angled seats, just not possible to sleep at an angle. Again service was good. Food quantity again needs to be increased. Quality was decent. Inflight can be improved with more content. Overall after reading the mixed reviews was pleasantly surprised and would recommend.

Finnair Customer review :  14 October 2013 by L Brazel    (Australia)

Supposed to fly from Helsinki to Singapore on 11th Oct but on arrival at airport told flight had been cancelled. Inadequate explanation of reason for cancellation so late, alternative arrangements and accommodation. Given no choice about alternative accommodation - which could only be described as basic. Despite having email address - I had to contact Finnair next day to find alternative arrangements. Now being sent via Amsterdam and with two other airlines to get back to Australia - missing our stopover in Singapore. Importantly missing out on extra leg room we ordered as I am taller. While staff generally friendly some have been brusque. Won't fly Finnair again!

Finnair Customer review :  7 October 2013 by B Gatecliffe    (Australia)

Flew Hong Kong-Helsinki on AY070 10th Sep in business class. This was a connecting flight, so the hope was our baggage would follow as planned. It did. Finnair use a generic business lounge in HK. Unfortunately it is not advertised anywhere or is any advice given where to find it. We ended up at a lounge which was not the intended lounge, but the staff, after a number of phone calls let us in. Evidently the lounge we should have used was at the other end of the airport and a distance away from the gate. Knowledge is good! Boarding was good and on time - priority boarding. Our aircraft was clean and the seating, whilst not the most up to date arrangement it was comfortable - angled, not lie flat. We did not sample dinner, as this was an overnight flight and we were tired. We slept for 5-6 hours. Breakfast was a simple affair, but was edible. The inflight entertainment was very average as far as choice was concerned. As we slept for most of the flight it was not a huge concern. We landed on time. The crew were terrific and helpful, when needed. All in all not a bad experience.

Finnair Customer review :  7 October 2013 by B Gatecliffe    (Australia)

Helsinki-Singapore, Flight AY081 on Oct 1st - Business Class. Check-in in Helsinki was very friendly and efficient. The Finnair lounge was large and comfortable, but food and drinks selection was very average. Food was almost non-existent. It was a shame as it spoilt what was, on the first impression, a quality place to stay. Priority boarding was on time. Aircraft was clean and inviting. Seating was ok, but dated. Angled, not lie flat bed option. Overnight flight left on time, so slept for most of the flight. Entertainment was ok, not the best selection for a long haul flight but adequate - unless you had seen the movies before? Did not avail ourselves for dinner, but breakfast was ok! Just the usual offerings. Arrived on time in Singapore. The crew were good. They did what was necessary with a genuine smile.

Finnair Customer review :  25 September 2013 by S Otter    (Australia)

Paid full fare for a non reclining seat with reduced leg room on an overnight 11.5 hour flight. Finnair advised they prioritise passenger numbers over passenger comfort! Also advised there is a 20 euro charge to pre-book a seat to make sure you can recline (60 euros for extra leg room). Food I believe was very average but don't really know as I couldn't really eat when the passenger in front reclined their seats into my face. Inflight entertainment was not on demand and very limited and somewhat dated but as screen was at the end of my nose it was impossible to watch. Anyway. My advice is don't risk flying with Finnair.

Finnair Customer review :  25 September 2013 by B Hill    (Hong Kong)

Finnair seems to be getting progressively worse every time I fly with them. On my return flight to Hong Kong from Helsinki, Finnair were using old Air France planes, which do not even have the business class seats you actually pay for when you purchase a Business class ticket. The seats in these leased old Air France planes are dirty, old and extremely worn out and the equipment is completely outdated. Don't get me started on the entertainment if you can call it that. Next time I fly to Europe, I will pay a bit more and fly Cathay or BA, or even go with Emirates and you get what you pay for.

Finnair Customer review :  25 September 2013 by M Holby    (Norway)

Oslo, Norway, to Brisbane, Australia a couple of days ago. A few hours before my flight, I was told that my flight had been cancelled and I was placed on a different route. This meant that I had to make one more stop (I was already going by two different airports) and I did not get to check in again. I have trouble sleeping on planes and have to use the bathroom a lot. I asked the man kindly if I could have a seat along the aisle, twice. He didn't even reply. When I found out that my light didn't work on a 12 hour flight, I was mad. The man refused to ask anyone if they would change seats with me. When I arrived in Singapore I asked for an aisle seat again, no, they refused to help. I paid more money to get a shorter flight. I got 3 extra hours. I am never flying with Finnair ever again.

Finnair Customer review :  23 September 2013 by G Poun    (France)

BRU-HEL-HKG. Going there, the flight had a delay of more than an hour. The flight went quite well however the in- flight entertainment was very poor. For a long haul flight, it was really not adequate. Fortunately, it was a night flight. Concerning the luggage, there was no problem with the connection of only an hour. It arrived on time at our final destination. On the return trip, the flight arrived a bit early.

Finnair Customer review :  17 September 2013 by R Clarke    (Australia)

Singapore to Amsterdam (via Helsinki). While the plane was comfortable enough, the inflight entertainment was quite limited and dated, amazingly compared to Jetstar even! For a long haul flight however the food was almost indelible. Dinner was no choice, some bland rice and meat dish. The most hilarious was breakfast though, some kind of instant quiche, soggy potato chips (for breakfast), soggy green beans and a sausage. I was quite amazed. I've lived in Finland and know food is not their forte but wow. Throughout the flight the attendants were quite brusque, and when asked for a beer I was told that they're busy and a drinks cart will come eventually. When they did I was told that hardly any of the drinks on the menu where available. So I just stuck with water. The in Europe flight was much more inline with what I have experienced with Finnair, good friendly service and basic tasty food. I won't be flying long haul with Finnair again, rather pay a bit more for one of the Arab airlines and get good food and open bar.

Finnair Customer review :  17 September 2013 by W Bathurst    (Singapore)

LHR-HEL-SIN, Flight AY0840 and AY0081, September 13. Well I and my luggage arrived on time so that's a good thing. However this Airline has the worst inflight entertainment options I have ever come across. Choice of about five movies, 2 or 3 of which were new. Made for a very dull return leg as none of these had been changed by the time I flew back two weeks later. Business class seat was very uncomfortable and beaten up and the airline was facing a catering strike, so the food was simply appalling and not up to standard which I would have found acceptable if they let me know at check-in so I could have stocked up before the flight. Overall I felt as though the airline has done nothing since that aircraft went into service in 1990. No upgrades, no replacement of broken parts, no moving with technology, no development of service. There are several other airlines I would happily fly in economy in rather than fly business for 15 hours again with Finnair.

Finnair Customer review :  13 September 2013 by Lehtinen Mikko    (UK)

Helsinki to Budapest on business. Because of Finnair catering strike only food I got was tiny salad in plastic, same as on economy. No newspapers, no ice, paper cup etc. Apology does not feel enough, considering how much I paid for ticket.

Finnair Customer review :  11 September 2013 by M Cahill    (Australia)

I flew from Singapore to Helsinki on a 11.5 hour night flight with 2 other people and we were giving seats at the back of the plane which did not recline at all. After 5 hours we complained to the cabin crew who tried to find other seats but because they were among sleeping passengers who were taking advantage of the extra seat next to them we declined to take them. They still woke up a sleeping passenger and asked them to remove they legs so I could sit in the seat, he wasn't happy and I declined. We lodged a formal complaint and were told that "At the moment the seats on the last row are in normal use despite of the fact they do not recline. We want to be able to offer as many seats as possible to our destinations". So the comfort of passengers is not their main priority.

Finnair Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Dhruv Sirsikar    (India)

DEL-HEL-VIE, FCO-HEL-DEL. The long distance flights were quite bad. The food had no variety. There was only one dish and that was some vegetables without any meat. When I asked for meat they said that it was finished. The same was the scene on the return flight. The quality of food was much better on the short distance flights. The selection of movies was quite bad, though they were offered in may languages there was hardly any choice.

Finnair Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Tapani Vuola    (Finland)

HEL-AMS-HEL. A very friendly crew, light modern A321, for my size and for a short flight there was enough space, a "tandoori" chicken sandwich was tasty, coffee, tea, water and soft drinks free. Why so low rating? With the Finnair's ticket prices selling daily newspapers is an embarrassment to the company, the crew and the passenger. Secondly, and more importantly: the baggage drop took 45 minutes! I almost missed the flight, and queuing through the entire terminal building (and in the corridor to next one) was a nuisance!

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking| Airport Ranking | Advertise| Surveys| Site Map | Contact Us| Links |