Finnair Passenger Reviews and Finnair Customer Trip Reports

Finnair Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Lass Laukkanen    (Finland)

Finnair Lounge in Helsinki comfortable and staff was there very nice. Food selection limited. Flight HEL-OSL on time. Plane was A319. Cabin clean and very nice. Excellent onboard service. Food, wine and chocolate very tasty and flight attendants extremely warm and friendly. I upgraded with Finnair plus points to business and I think that I really got value for money. Finnair European flights are not very good in economy anymore but business class was very good.

Finnair Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Tim Short    (Australia)

Bangkok - Helsinki - Amsterdam, Business Class. Pretty happy with these flights. Bangkok - Helsinki, A330 with fully flat bed. I used the Japan Airlines lounge in Bangkok for breakfast and was tired when boarding. Yes the first meal is lunch and served soon after take-off, so I asked the friendly crew to save it for me later in the flight which wasn't a problem. After about 4 hours sleep on the comfy flay bed, crew offered to serve me lunch which was fine, if not the best. In flight entertainment has a smaller selection than most, but was good enough. Quick and easy connection in Helsinki. Flight to Amsterdam, decent food, slightly less friendly crew, but OK. Finnair is a bit cheaper for business than most. You get what you pay for.

Finnair Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Warren Kells    (Canada)

Flight AY 031, Helsinki to Toronto on Sep 3 2013. My wife and I were seated in the back row of the plane as I had asked for the seats with the most leg room when I checked into the airport. I am 5'11" weight 200 lbs. I could not even get my legs in front of me so they had to be in the aisle for the whole 8 hour and 50 minute flight. Our seat backs were stationary adding to the discomfort and when the gentleman in front put his seat back we were almost trapped in our seats. After the safety demo I asked the stewardess how I was to assume the crash safety position and she said i would not be able to do so. I was continually being bumped by the carts and stepped on by fellow travellers (especially the stewardesses) When the meal was served I could not begin to get the tray down making eating impossible. Will never fly Finnair again.

Finnair Customer review :  6 September 2013 by Lass Laukkanen    (Finland)

LHR-HEL. Plane new A321. Flight on time. Complimentary soft drinks and sandwich. I have got on Finnair European flights very tasty sandwiches and salads but last flights always same awful chicken sandwich. Its very dry and without any taste. You can buy similar in Finland in some cheap small shops or food machines in hospitals. Finnair should be shame. No more free newspapers. Cabin crew was excellent like always. Very friendly and all the time smiling. Nowadays I can recommend Finnair only because so nice flight attendants.

Finnair Customer review :  3 September 2013 by W de Beest    (UK)

Could hardly disagree more with the other 27 Aug reviewer. I flew the same day - possibly on the same plane - and found it intolerable. I'm 197cm but can get adequately comfortable in most short-haul economy, but not this, the hard plastic strip concealing the seat hinges cut into my shins, while the rigid seat back was pressed hard against my knees. Bad enough as a static sensation, until the oversized baboon in front can't sit still and slams his seat into me every other minute. I seldom refuse food while travelling but the 'tandoori turkey' (the clue is in the title) sandwich was dry and inedible. With no wine on offer to improve it, and no space to unfold the table for a cup of coffee, a solitary glass of water had to do for sustenance on a three-hour flight. The crew were pleasant enough. I'll be flying this route again, but next time I'll make sure my BA ticket gets me on a BA plane.

Finnair Customer review :  3 September 2013 by John Duffus    (Thailand)

BKK-HEL-BKK, A330, business class flat-bed seats. Three problems with the 10-hour outward flight. When you have to get up around 06.00 for an 09.00 departure, the obvious first meal should be breakfast or at the very least brunch. Not so on AY where a full lunch is inexplicably served before 10.00. It then serves a second reduced lunch prior to landing. If the poor lounge served some breakfast foods, then perhaps I might understand. But the uncomfortable Louis Tavern has no breakfast food at all! For a long daytime flight a good breakfast is surely a must. Secondly, the touch-screen AV selection is poor, with almost the worst selection of mostly old movies I have experienced in recent years. Thirdly, and least pleasantly, the cabin smelt faintly of a toilet throughout most of the flight. I will not take this flight again until meals are more in tune with the time of departure. On the return sector, meals were also rather unsatisfactory. Dessert and cheese for dinner each amounted to no more than a couple of mouthfuls. The breakfast scrambled eggs were bland and the croissants served cold. On both flights, I found the rather narrow flat bed seats surprisingly uncomfortable. Switching off the AV system a full 25 minutes prior to landing was extremely annoying and seems inexplicable. The rather officious, unsmiling purser pointed out this is company policy!

Finnair Customer review :  27 August 2013 by S Kapps    (UK)

London Heathrow - Helsinki. Very friendly, on time and comfortable flights both ways. Finnair's latest economy cabin revamp showed on the Airbus A320s, with nice colours of grey and blue, and new recaro seats. Actual seat comfort and legroom was average however. Cabin was clean and in very good condition. Crew were as friendly as can be, with smiles and helpfulness all the way. A complimentary sandwich was served on the flight, with free hot and cold drinks, a turkey tandoori sandwich, which was very nice, then a salad tomato and cheese roll on the way back, which was less appetising. Chocolates were offered on descent, which was a lovely and very tasty surprise. Bang on time, friendly flight deck announcements and aircraft cameras which showed views from the nose gear on take off and landing. Various programmes were shown without audio on the hanging TVs. Decent price, all in all, top job Finnair.

Finnair Customer review :  21 August 2013 by J Atkins    (Australia)

Tel Aviv to London via Helsinki. Flight from Tel Aviv departed at 1.20am and arrived in Helsinki at 6am, but they kept the lights on for the entire 4.5 hour flight. Bizarre and absolutely ridiculous. There were only 8 or 9 blankets on board, and I think I got the only pillow, by asking about them during boarding. The food on this leg was nice and the staff okay. From Helsinki to London the staff were friendly and active, but the food was very plain. A tiny bun with cheese. Economy passengers have to pay 3 euros for a newspaper, which is daylight robbery. Transferring in Helsinki was easy.

Finnair Customer review :  16 August 2013 by C Hauzenberger    (Austria)

MUC-PEK and Shanghai (PVG) - VIE. Flight to PEK was ok, new Airbus A330 with average seat comfort, poor food. Check-in in Shanghai was complicated by ground staff. We were a family of 4 and had 4 pieces with only 65 kg of luggage. However, we had to re-pack, that it was a small but long box with sharp items which are not allowed for carry-on luggage. In the end we could re-pack with help (and money) of luggage packers at the airport, which took us nearly 1 hour. In addition to this unfriendly treatment during check-in, the flight from PVG to Helsinki was also very unpleasant. The aircraft was an old A340-300 with old IFE and very small screens. The worst was the food: 1st course: meat balls with noodles - consistency was terrible, taste horrible. Before landing in Helsinki a "Lasagne" was served, which was also not edible. Most people just returned the food - as we did! The worst food we have ever had! In the end you get similar prices with much better airlines!

Finnair Customer review :  15 August 2013 by J Newmark    (UK)

BKK-HEL. Despite booking my ticket about 12 hours before departure, the journey was remarkably good value. The lounge Finnair uses at Bangkok is very poor, a limited selection of bad food and uncomfortable chairs. However, after this, the experience was far better. The plane departed promptly, and we therefore arrived early in Helsinki. Seat was looking a bit tired, but I didn't find it uncomfortable. TV, controls, lights etc. all seemed to work fine, and I found the entertainment selection very good. Food was edible, though not outstanding. That said, there was certainly a lot of it. However, what really stood out for me though was the cabin crew. I found them cheerful, helpful and attentive, far more so than on the equivalent British Airways flight I had taken the week before. For that reason in particular, I'd fly them again.

Finnair Customer review :  15 August 2013 by Yajur Taxali    (India)

AY22 - Delhi to Cantaa (Helsinki) - July 24. AY21 - Vantaa to Delhi - August 11. Not happy with our experience. On both legs of the trip, we were given seats at the extreme rear of the plane, right next to the washrooms. Non vegetarian food was unavailable when the food trolley reached us, both for the onward and return journey, and the staff seemed very nonchalant about it. Our request for extra bread/extra salad was also not entertained. This was while we saw some other passengers walking with full extra meals from the pantry! The flight was delayed by two hours on the return trip!

Finnair Customer review :  9 August 2013 by Alan Drew    (UK)

HEL-CKG in business class. The VOD system had too be reset half-a-dozen times before it worked (3 hours). Unfortunately, the same system controls the power to the seat, so for 1/3 of the flight (3 hours) I could not alter my seat position. When it eventually started working, I discovered the seat was one of the old angled designs, which was dreadfully uncomfortable to sleep on. The movie selection on the VOD system, when it eventually worked, was pretty poor - most of the movies were years old "classics", and I'd seen them all before. There was no power at the seat for my laptop for the entire flight. The food was mediocre - they seem to fous on quantity over quality, there was little choice (a choice of three rice dishes), the food arrived still in its foil. The worst thing about this trip was the worst seat I have ever tried to sleep on (even worse than the concrete Lufthansa J-class seats) combined with poorly timed flights (departs afternoon, lands 11pm UK time / 7am China time). When combined, it seemed to conspire at maximising jet lag and tiredness.

Finnair Customer review :  9 August 2013 by Greg McMahon    (Australia)

Helsinki-Hong Kong. Husband and wife traveling together. Despite request made at time of booking for window/aisle, initial seating was 20 rows apart, changed to middle row aisle/inside seats. Check-in 4 hours before flight. No preference for OneWorld members. Advised preference was for transferring Pax from other European flights, flight was full, nothing could be done. Subsequent flight was most uncomfortable ever experienced. Economy exceedingly tight, reclining chair in front took up all space. Extremely difficult to get out of seat. Video screen minuscule, earphones next to useless, AV choice pathetic, "food" and service abysmal. A great sense of relief at end of flight. Never again.

Finnair Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Richard Rawlins    (UK)

LHR-HEL, Airbus 320, European Business Class flight. First leg of a longer trip. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Cabin was clean and fairly comfortable, although I do maintain it is a bit of a cheek to call a seat Business Class, when it is just, in fact, an Economy seat with the adjacent seat left free. However, most European airlines do this now, and Finnair is no exception. Cabin Crew, however, was very good, and the food and drink offerings better than what I had experienced previously on British Airways' Club Europe service. Finnair uses Cathay Pacific's lounge at Heathrow, which, apart from the good views of the runway, was nothing special. Finnair's own lounge at Helsinki was more impressive, with some interesting design aspects, and plenty of comfortable seating. Food offerings in both lounges were poor, but that might have been because of the time of my flights. Overall, I enjoyed Finnair's European Business Class product, and would recommend them, particularly in view of the price I paid.

Finnair Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Lassi Laukkanen    (Finland)

Busy 35 minutes flight KUO-HEL. Plane was A319 full of passengers. Clean and comfortable cabin. I had seat in exit row, so there was enough legroom. Complimentary coffee, tea, water and juice. Very professional and friendly cabin crew. They were very effective and all the time smiling on this busy flight.

Finnair Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Will Martin    (UK)

Helsinki to Singapore Changi operated by Finnair although I booked with Air Berlin and I was disappointed. Check in was easy and service was good and polite. However the plane was in need of modernization or at least an update, the leg room was small and for a 12 hour flight the choice of only four movies was inadequate. In fact I think I have had better inflight entertainment on board the flight from Malaga to Berlin on Air Berlin, a mere 3 hour flight. The food however was perfectly acceptable and most definitely edible. However, the drinks were infrequent. Served breakfast just before we were to land Singapore time 6pm meaning that when you got out of the plane you were ready for a whole day. Overall then I would not recommend.

Finnair Customer review :  5 August 2013 by C Epure    (Germany)

TXL-ICN via Helsinki, vacation in March-April. Very nice idea to have half of the staff being Korean on a flight to Seoul. A very good idea as well was serving Korean dishes on the way back: I had a "microwave" bibimbap but I found it very tasty. All flights on time, even arriving some minutes earlier. Staff very nice and ready to help when needed. They welcomed all people on board and extra the "oneworld" frequent flyers which shows their active role they play in this alliance. Food was all right but I must say I was impressed about the organic sandwich we had in the short flight between Berlin and Helsinki. Good Entertainment in the long distance flight to Seoul (personal screen) and almost no commercials. The seat comfort was ok for the economy class. I could say, the best "oneworld" airline I have flown with.

Finnair Customer review :  5 August 2013 by M Young    (Australia)

Had a wonderful flight from Bangkok to Budapest. Food was good, seat comfortable and service excellent.

Finnair Customer review :  31 July 2013 by Donna Kennedy    (Australia)

I have nothing but kind words for Finnair staff, however, during travel from Helsinki to Shanghai on the 21/7/2013, I experienced the most uncomfortable trip in 20 years of frequent travel. The leg room on the economy seat can only be classed as a joke. When the man in front of me attempted to put his seat back it caused me pain. He kindly put the seat upright. The box under the seat in front also does not allow for legs to sit straight causing stress on hips and ankles. Without doubt this cabin set up is the worst of any airline currently flying, the seats have obviously been pushed closer together in an attempt to fit in as many people as possible. My sister pre-ordered a diabetic meal, imagine our surprise when the meal arrived - potatoes, pasta salad, corn, bread and pineapple. Do they call it a diabetic meal because they want people to become diabetic?

Finnair Customer review :  30 July 2013 by Ross Henderson    (Canada)

Toronto to Helsinki flight is an ordeal. Planes used are old Boeing 757-200s. These are small, narrow body planes, three seats each side with a narrow aisle. Seats are extremely narrow and very close together. No leg room. Seats to not recline. A real claustrophobic experience. The planes are old and battered. Staff friendly and food okay. Helsinki airport grossly over-crowded and under serviced. I would never use this airline, at least for this route, again.

Finnair Customer review :  22 July 2013 by Patricia Ahlborn    (USA)

Very pleased with all 4 flights of our travel on Finnair - JFK to Helsinki to Paris and return. The food was very decent, cabin was impeccably clean, stewards were courteous, flights were on-time, entertainment had a great variety, no luggage was lost or damaged, and pillows and blankets were free. Yes, the seats are tight together in economy, but no worse than other airlines. Everyone's luggage comfortably fit in the overhead bins.

Finnair Customer review :  19 July 2013 by Tony Hall    (Australia)

HEL-LHR and return, business class. Flights were punctual. Service, food and drink were of a high standard but the cabin with its economy class seats was like some thing out of a past era. Taken by bus to and from the aircraft at Helsinki. Vantaa airport, which used to be a delight, is now grossly overcrowded.

Finnair Customer review :  19 July 2013 by Tony Hall    (Australia)

BKK-HEL and return business. Flights were punctual and cabin staff pleasant and efficient. The new business class seats and cabin are excellent and the food and drink of high quality - even a dessert wine. The IFE choice is though still not as good as some other carries economy provision. BKK-HEL now departs at 9 am which means you have lunch at 10.30 am (no dining on demand) and are then required to spend the rest of the day sitting in the dark - something I greatly dislike. Vantaa airport, which used to be a delight, is now grossly overcrowded. They still work miracles with luggage transfer but passenger circulation is very problematic. Transit passengers now have to go through long security queues. I found it difficult to find the business class check-in got in the wrong queue. There were no staff providing queue management and advice.

Finnair Customer review :  18 July 2013 by Vivekanandan Selvalakshmi    (Canada)

Travelled with (2) children aged 5 & 10. Travel from YYZ (Toronto) - DEL (New Delhi) through Helsinki. They did not allow any carry on baggage, all had to be checked in. Even after web-check in, just to drop the checked in baggage took almost 60 minutes. Flight from Toronto - Helsinki was horrible. Not sufficient leg room. Seats did not recline. Plane was small and very old. No entertainment screen at each seat and travel was not comfortable. In spite of our request the vegetarian meal was not provided. When requested to provide some snacks in-lieu of meal, flight crew refused and requested payment. In spite of more than 6 hours stop over, no complimentary coupons were issued. Airline staff were not supportive and willing. I will not recommend this flight.

Finnair Customer review :  17 July 2013 by Nick Berry    (UK)

LHR to SIN via HEL. First leg to HEL great service and decent meal. Transfer is easy and lounge pleasant. Flight to SIN full in business but simple meal served quickly and slept 7hrs. Arrived on time and bags waiting at carousel.

Finnair Customer review :  17 July 2013 by Barbara Gregorin    (Canada)

Toronto to Helsinki and Slovenia. No room between seats on the flight from Toronto to Helsinki. Much better plane with lots of space between seats on the flight from Helsinki to Ljubljana-Slovenia. Staff not friendly. My husband is very tall and had problems with his legs fitting in the space between seats. I am much shorter than him but had horrible time and did not sleep for the whole flight. The price was great, the experience was horrible.

Finnair Customer review :  16 July 2013 by H Kohler    (Australia)

BKK-HEL-TXL-HEL-SIN in Business. Outbound flight in A330. Aircraft had seen better days, the same for the crew. The food was acceptable, but you would not write home about it. Flight home in an A340 also this aircraft and crew had seen better times. The seats are not flat and remain in an angle position. That is very uncomfortable. Aircraft clean. Meals acceptable but again nothing special. I could see a lot of cost cutting. The lounge at HEL, apparently the flagship lounge, had only a few salad leaves to eat. I would like to say that it was below basic.

Finnair Customer review :  11 July 2013 by C Black    (Canada)

Toronto Pearson - Helsinki - Stockholm, and Copenhagen - Helsinki - Pearson. It was clear from check-in at Pearson, that in order to offer lower fares they've cut corners. We were there 3 hours ahead of check-in and even though we had done online check-in, the process took 50 minutes. They informed us that our carry-on suitcase, that met all of the carry-on requirements, could not be taken as a carry-on and must be checked. Given that we had one carry-on between 2 people, this hardly seemed fair. Flight was like any other cheap charter - no leg room and limited service. Flight from Copenhagen was similar, but the check-in process was worse - they open the check-in 2 hours prior to boarding, and we made it to the gate with minutes to spare. We noticed that the planes they use within Europe (e.g. Helsinki to Stockholm) were much newer and more spacious. The plane we were on for the Transatlantic flights was very old and dirty. I wouldn't recommend Finair.

Finnair Customer review :  2 July 2013 by G Muir    (Switzerland)

LHR-HEL-SIN (Bus Class): flew with Finnair purely based on price. Comfortable seats which lie flat but at slight angle. A bit old design and plane to SIN was an older A340. Perfectly clean but a just a tad tired. Service was excellent. Attentive and friendly in perfect measure. Food was excellent with hot meal on midnight take off from Helsinki then lights out for sleep. Also should mention excellent lounge in Helsinki which is right next to gate used for long-haul flights.

Finnair Customer review :  2 July 2013 by G Piotr    (Poland)

HEL-KRK, flight 2hrs delayed and no information until very last minute. Rude staff. Boarding pass indicated new departure time when I checked in 6 hours earlier, so the delay was most likely well-known but the staff were reluctant to say which departure time is the correct one. Monitors indicated the old time till the very end and nothing was explained. The quality of flight was ok. Uncomfortable seats and no snacks.

Finnair Customer review :  29 June 2013 by P Nyberg    (Vietnam)

Our 3 children (20, 18 and 13) flew Hanoi-Helsinki and arrived with a delay in Helsinki so they missed their connecting flights to Dusseldorf and then to Nuremberg. Finnair rebooked the children with Air Berlin from Helsinki to Berlin and then onwards to Nuremburg. Still at Helsinki airport, it turned out that the Helsinki- Berlin flight was also delayed 1.5 hrs and even though it was clear that the children would under no circumstances reach their connecting flight Berlin-Nuremberg, Air Berlin insisted that the children fly to Berlin arriving there late in the evening. Finnair claimed to no longer have responsibility as the children were now customers of Air Berlin. Upon their arrival in Berlin, the children were put up in a hotel, they had to pay themselves for the taxi transfer there and back. They were booked onto an early morning flight the next day from Berlin-Dusseldorf and then Dusseldorf-Nuremberg. The children finally arrived at Nuremberg airport WITHOUT luggage. We have contacted Finnair through their customer service several times and other than a short meaningless email have not received any feedback. Never again Finnair.

Finnair Customer review :  26 June 2013 by Uwe Luedemann    (Germany)

Helsinki to Bangkok and return with A330. First way, business class half empty. Good and decent service, but always there if you need something. Food normal - nothing special. Good but not large selection of movies. Seat good, but not superb. Way home C class was full, but still good service and during the day flight enough time to relax and sleep. Transfer in Helsinki to Frankfurt easy and fast.

Finnair Customer review :  22 June 2013 by V Drury    (Australia)

A disappointing flight from Singapore to London via Helsinki. Aircraft felt old and tired but clean. Seats did not lie flat and were uncomfortable. Food was not very nice and served in the foil containers which is unusual in business class these days. No amenities kits provided. Staff did not bother even trying to call passengers by name. Inflight entertainment choices were limited and most movies old. There was no offer of priority cards for immigration at LHR and. O priority boarding at the gate. I usually fly premium economy on the Qantas A380 and it is far superior for the same cost. Transfer at Helsinki was smooth. The lounge in Helsinki was nice.

Finnair Customer review :  20 June 2013 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

HKG-HEL, Economy. Very basic when in the air, not half as good as BA or CX. Correct but not very friendly crew, a basic service and Ok seats. Checking in at HEL airport always seems to be a hassle, long lines and very slow staff. Not cheap either. Will give them a miss until they offer a premium economy service.