XL Airways Passenger Reviews and XL Airways Customer Trip Reports

Add your Review

XL AIRWAYS CEASED OPERATING : 12th September 2008

XL AIRWAYS review :  11 September 2008 : by D Earl

4 Star Rating

Gatwick to Orlando return. Flight out half an hour late leaving , but return flight was on time. Seats are cramped but no real difference to other charter or scheduled airlines we have used. Food is OK but the real plus was the price. At the end of the day you get what you pay for. My advice would be to buy a sandwich and a bottle of water at the airport and remember how much you saved using this airline.

XL AIRWAYS review :  5 September 2008 : by P Piercy

4 Star Rating

LGW - Sharm. Paid for extra legroom both ways which was worth it. Check in no problem, staff good, didn't bother with in flight entertainment either way. Return check in a bit of a nightmare as Egyptians didn't really understand extra legroom - but I did thankfully. Only delay - 1 hour waiting for luggage with 3 flights on the board!! Many thanks to our lovely, efficient baggage handlers!

XL AIRWAYS review :  3 September 2008 : by P Smith

1 Star Rating

I have just returned from a holiday to Orlando via Manchester - I was concerned that the negative comments I read before travelling would be unfounded, however this proved not to be the case. I have taken many long haul flights both with scheduled and charter air lines and the XL flights both ways were without doubt the worst I have ever experienced. The seating configuration on the aircraft was so tight that there was only very limited leg room between the rows and if you used the seat back pocket to store a paperback or bottle of water none at all. The seating was so cramped that it was difficult to get comfortable at all particularly trying to sleep on the return journey (as the pain in my back confirmed on arrival at Sanford). The food and refreshments were very disappointing for a long haul flight of 9 hours with minimal drinks on offer. The tv screens were sparsely located around the aircraft making it difficult to watch a film. I would not recommend XL for a flight to Orlando. Certainly not what you would expect from an award winning airline.

XL AIRWAYS review :  2 September 2008 : by Sue Machin

4 Star Rating

East Midlands to Tenerife Southon 737. We didnt pre-book our seats but given four seats together on row 5. Good amount of legroom, leather seats. Easy and quick check in. I had paid for extra luggage allowance on the way back only but was over going - wasnt charged any extra for this. Staff were friendly and smart. Would use again.

XL AIRWAYS review :  29 August 2008 : by R Griffiths

1 Star Rating

Antigua-Gatwick. The seating on both outbound and return was appalling. Sitting on what appeared to be ex BA shuttle seats used for journeys of less than an hours duration, our backsides are still sore and bruised 2 days later. Charges for soft drinks and snacks on long haul are unacceptable. Also delay in serving meal on return in order to generate more revenue from these sales. It took 2 hours to serve an evening meal by then it was 10.30pm and most passengers were past caring - perhaps this is the idea - insufficient catering on board. Toilet out of order outbound and return. Whilst XL may be tolerable on shorter journeys I would strongly suggest that anyone contemplating XL for longhaul think again.

XL AIRWAYS review :  28 August 2008 : by D Matthews

1 Star Rating

The flights to Orlando were the worst that I have ever experienced. The seat that I had on both journeys, (8B) was nine hours of purgatory. I think to sit in a strait jacket for that time would be more comfortable. Despite paying for pre booked seats my children were sat on the row behind and being so cramped I was unable to turn around to make contact with them. I could not see a tv nor could I access or read my newspaper. We couldn't put the joint arm rest up as there was no gap in between the backs of the seats for it to store. It said this was an award winning airline. I'm undecided whether it won the award for most cramped seats, filthiest toilet, least stocked bar or the most rude and most miserable cabin crew.

XL AIRWAYS review :  27 August 2008 : by Linda Marguy

4 Star Rating

Paris to Tel Aviv with XL Airways. The flight left more or less on time, plane seemed new and was in good condition, staff were friendly and helpful, meal was quite OK and overall we didn't have any problems. There is limited legroom, but we were able to get seats by one of the emergency exits where you have more space, which made a difference for my husband who is very tall.

XL AIRWAYS review :  22 August 2008 : by D Gakutman

1 Star Rating

Flew with XL from London to Tobago. Water was not available on flight unless paid for. Staff too busy to get any, anyway - missed out half a dozen rows for food, one time around, due to running out - 'we usually find that not everyone wants it'. Flight not direct, as sold. No way to complain, since XL do not accept complaints by phone and have no way to complain on their website.

XL AIRWAYS review :  22 August 2008 : by J Luck

3 Star Rating

Gatwick to Sharm-el-Sheikh and back. Check-in was smooth, although we did ask to be seated at the back and were in fact seated 3rd row from the front! You get what you pay for, we left and arrived on time both ways, seating was bearable and inflight entertainment both ways was very acceptable.

XL AIRWAYS review :  19 August 2008 : by Kevin Hawes

4 Star Rating

XL from Gatwick to Orlando Sanford. We had no problems either way. I agree that there is not a lot of leg room on board but you get what you pay for and was certainly no worse than other charter airlines I have flown. The entertainment was fine, food was reasonable, staff were pleasant and the check in faultless at both ends. I would use this company again based on our recent experience.

XL AIRWAYS review :  16 August 2008 : by G McDermott

Customer Rating :  5/5

5 Star Rating

MAN-PLA return. On time going out, brand new 737 very pleasant crew both ways, plentiful goodies available to buy. Half hour delay coming back. Saw some guy getting charged approx 80 euros for 23kg bag coming back. Moral of the story is if it says 15kg, then take 15kg, its no good complaining after the fact. No frills but perfectly adequate for what we paid. Second year we used them and would do so again.

XL AIRWAYS review :  14 August 2008 : by D Morris

1 Star Rating

London Gatwick to Antigua. Inedible food, cramped, uncomfortable seats in need of re upholstering, delay on outbound flight of two hours due to need for a replacement part to be delivered from Horley. Too few toilets; one defective and out of use on both outbound and return flight; non- working earphone sockets.

XL AIRWAYS review :  7 August 2008 : by J Newbold

1 Star Rating

Watch the weight of your baggage. XL are now charging 9€ for every kilo over 15. Cost four of us 63€ for being 7kilo over (15.4 pounds). People were carrying more than this in their goodie bags bought after check in. They don't do this on your outward flight but get you coming home. I would never fly with this rip off outfit again

XL AIRWAYS review :  5 August 2008 : by Paul Harvey

4 Star Rating

LGW to Sharm el Sheikh: We boarded at Gatwick on time even though an air traffic delay of 90 mins had been warned about - it turned out to be a 60 minute delay, during which the crew dispensed water to an absolutely full plane. The crew worked hard during the flight and the in-flight entertainment was watchable (and free if you had your own headphones). Arrived on time. The return trip was just as uneventful - left on time, arrived on time. Overall, a good charter flight albeit that the seats were very cramped and sleeping was difficult.

XL AIRWAYS review :  31 July 2008 : by Y Robinson

4 Star Rating

Flew to Porta Santo in May 08 and flight was great - meal and drinks good, staff efficient and friendly. Not the largest amount of leg room - seats leather and ok. Economy cost, so felt good value for money. Just returned from Cyprus on XL - no inflight meals this time but snacks available to buy. Inflight entertainment limited, tables and seating not so clean - budget airline so you get what you pay for.

XL AIRWAYS review :  30 July 2008 : by R Savine

4 Star Rating

Gatwick to Orlando Sanford with 3 kids under 8 - dreading it. Check in smooth and prompt and flights on time. Seats have limited legroom, but no worse than other transatlantic carries. Older plane, but similar vintage to recent trips on Delta/US Airways. No seat back TVs, and little extras (headsets etc) are all at cost. Food is swill and baggage allowance reduced (20 kg each). Fly to Sanford rather than Orlando so extra 30 minutes drive, but far quicker customs/baggage retrieval than MCO. Deal breaker is that this was 1200 cheaper than cheapest quote from scheduled airline. Our experience was rather better than some we have had flying same route with Virgin and BA. XL Airways only have 3 or 4 long haul aircraft, and they fly round the clock. If there is a problem with one, its going to take a long time to find you a substitute. If there aren't problems, your experience will be no worse than other airlines on this route.

XL AIRWAYS review :  29 July 2008 : by P Wilson

4 Star Rating

Manchester to Sanford. No delays in flight, inflight entertainment good. Staff friendly and approachable. The only qualms we had were the seats being uncomfortable and the seating plan. We did not pre-book our seats so on return was separated along with other families.

XL AIRWAYS review :  22 July 2008 : by Andrew McFadden

Customer Rating :  2/5

2 Star Rating

Recently flew this airline on a charter from BFS-LDE. Boarding a bit chaotic and cabin crew not the friendliest. No IFE offered - take my advice and bring your own food onboard, our meal was inedible and I would eat anything put in front of me. Overall, would fly them again if I had no option but not the best airline by far.

XL AIRWAYS review :  16 July 2008 : by S Quincey

1 Star Rating

I booked flights with XL at the beginning of the year, an afternoon flight (so I could travel to the airport by train) to Malaga returning 12 days later. Since then I have received three letters. The first moving my flight from pm to 6am, then changing the date due to a commercial decision to cancel thursday flights so moved to a tuesday flight - extending my holiday so I had to make additional arrangements with the apartment owner. Then the final letter changing the return flight date due to a commercial decision thus moving me from a saturday flight home to a thursday. I have made the decision to cancel my flights with XL, as my worry is will I receive another letter from them a week before I fly to tell me they have made changes again. I have travelled with them in the past but I have not experienced these problems before.

XL AIRWAYS review :  16 July 2008 : by Janis Buckley

Customer Rating :  2/5

2 Star Rating

My partner and I have just returned from a week in Rhodes travelling with XL. We always pay for pre- bookable seats so we guarantee sitting together and have never had a problem with other airlines - on our outbound journey we were offered a window seat but once on the plane there was no window. On the return we were allocated our seats which were both aisle seats - I wasn't pleased but we knew this could happen. Once seated we asked several couples around us if they had pre- booked their seats and none had - to make matters worse two groups of youngsters sat near us and were really chuffed to all be sitting together. We had paid for a service that we didn't get. It might sound petty but this upset me and spoilt the journey.

XL AIRWAYS review :  15 July 2008 : by S Meyer

1 Star Rating

Terrible! Our flight from Gatwick to Barbados was delayed for over 9 hours because the toilets on the plane were broken. Eventually another plane was brought in from Manchester, but this was much smaller and had to stop off to refuel in the Azores, so the flight was 2 hrs longer on top of the delay. The staff were rude and dismissive; they gave us no clue that the delay would be so long. The food and service on the plane was poor and leg room was minimal. I do not recommend flying to Barbados with XL.

XL AIRWAYS review :  15 July 2008 : by G Fitzmaurice

Customer Rating :  5/5

5 Star Rating

Flew to Rhodes from Gatwick return. Both flights on-time, excellent cabin crew and secured opposite aisle seats on both legs despite been one of the last to check-in. Excellent service all round.

XL AIRWAYS review :  12 July 2008 : by J Ferriday

3 Star Rating

Manchester to Santorini return. Good flight - on time both ways. Seating not the best but you only get what you pay for. The staff were good and polite. We would fly with them again.

XL AIRWAYS review :  12 July 2008 : by Kevin Medhurst

3 Star Rating

I booked in November 2007 with Travel City Direct using XL Airways 767-300 from Gatwick to Sanford Florida in June 2008. To our surprise the whole process of checking in was effortless as was coming back the other way. The flight left early and was adequate - food, hospitality and service, but the seats were very tight for legroom and not the most comfortable. TV entertainment system was not very good and neither were headsets. The return flight was just as good leaving on time and landing nearly twenty five minutes early. If I was to go again i would probably up grade to XLONE which had more space and legroom.

XL AIRWAYS review :  11 July 2008 : by P Legate

4 Star Rating

LTN-LCA. Check-in was quite lengthy but more check-in staff were added in order to process passengers more quickly. Extra legroom seats 15A/B, ample legroom being emergency exit. Efficient staff, hot food available for sale. Flight arrived 45 minutes early into Larnaca.

XL AIRWAYS review :  9 July 2008 : by J Vaughan

1 Star Rating

Manchester to Las Palmas. The plane was delayed by 6 hours so it was 5.00am Sunday morning when we arrived at our apartment. Coming home on Saturday 5th July 2008, we were told at check in that the flight was delayed by four hours. We should have taken off at 11.15pm but there was no sign of the plane, and no information. Eventually we took off at 6.15am on Sunday morning, having spent the night in a very uncomfortable Las Palmas airport. There was no trolley service at all on the flight - not even a bottle of water! We were not told about this before we boarded. Also, there were no allocation of seats at the airport, so it was a free-for-all. How parents with young babies and toddlers were able to cope - I will never know. We eventually landed back at Manchester at 10.00am Sunday morning when the plane was parked at Terminal 2 out on the apron. We had to wait 15 minutes for two buses which took us round the back of the terminal where we had to wait for someone to open the doors to the building. We actually arrived at the luggage carousel after our luggage! That must be a first! Never again will we fly with XL Airways.

XL AIRWAYS review : 5 July 2008 : by L Horn

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

We must be lucky - just got home from our fourth flight to Turkey with XL, and everything perfect, we even got back to Bristol 20 minutes early. There was a shortage of choice for food on the return journey, but staff were apologetic and there was tea coffee etc, chocolate bars and crisps still available when sandwiches and hot food had run out! Check in staff at Bristol told us they rarely have a problem with BRS to Sharm el Sheikh, so we will give them a try. Staff were very pleasant too!

XL AIRWAYS review : 3 July 2008 : by J Sadler

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

Sanford from Gatwick on 13th June. The check in procedure was faultless. The Boeing 767-300 took off about one and a half hours late because engineers had to carry out a repair on the aircraft. We’d pre-booked extra legroom for the flight which was adequate but the width of the seat made it impossible to relax or sleep. Passengers seemed to think that our extra legroom was a stretching zone and waiting area for the toilet. When the cabin crew carried out the pre-flight safety procedure demonstration, the male steward was giggling and laughing throughout at his colleague in the opposite aisle and had to make several attempts to complete the procedures because of his laughing. We found this unprofessional. The inflight entertainment was abysmal and our headphones did not function. The cabin crew did not seem to want to make eye contact with passengers when going about their duties serving meals and drinks and appeared to have an air of aloofness about them. We gave up saying please and thank-you about 2 hours into the flight as our good manners were ignored; I don’t think they even noticed. On the return flight to Gatwick, booking in procedure was quick and efficient and a very helpful and patient member of staff did his very best to make sure we were not over the weight limit with our luggage. However, once we had boarded the aeroplane we had to sit in the aircraft on the runway whilst a maintenance crew carried out another repair. Once in the air we found it hard to relax after the Captain announced to passengers that the repair had to be carried out due to a previous accident. Again our earphones still did not work so another 8 hours of boredom on the flight home. The male stewards persisted in not wanting to make eye contact with us, and it felt like they actually resented the passengers. We would never fly XL Airways again and would not recommend this airline to friends and family unless we disliked them.

1 2 3 4 5