Ethiopian Airlines Passenger Reviews and Ethiopian Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  22 August 2011 by G McGillivray   (Australia)

Bangkok-Addis Ababa-Nairobi return. All flights departed on time, minimal in flight entertainment. Staff friendly enough and food was nice. My bags were sent on an earlier flight to Nairobi and did not arrive in Bangkok on the return. The Ethiopian Office in Bangkok kept me informed about my bags and they were delivered to my house 4 hrs after I arrived home in Australia.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  22 August 2011 by R Mundra   (India)

Mumbai-Addis Ababa-Accra return. Flight has no personal inflight entertainment, and pretty ordinary food. Flight from Mumbai took off late and so missed connecting flight to Accra but were put up in a hotel. The return trip was awful, flight was again late so missed connecting flight to Mumbai. I was not willing to stay overnight, so took the flight from Addis Ababa to Delhi 3 hrs later. Completed immigration at Delhi, collected luggage and checked in again at the domestic terminal for flight to Mumbai. Lost 10 hrs in this re-routing.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  21 August 2011 by Marcus Nyberg   (Sweden)

Stockholm-Addis-Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar-Dar Es Salam-Addis-Stockholm. A rather confusing journey with poorly maintained planes, smelly toilets and disinterested staff. On the positive side, the food was average and the tickets were cheap.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  21 August 2011 by David Baldwin   (UAE)

Dubai-Addis Ababa-Johannesburg return. Check-in at Dubai was slow, generous baggage allowance allowed in Economy. The plane Dubai-Addis Ababa had 10 seats across and was cramped. From Addis there was much more leg room and space with good food. From Addis to Dubai it was a new 777 with 9 seats across and in seat screens which were great. All flights were on time.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  6 August 2011 by William Wallace   (USA)

Flew LUN to ADD to CAI in Business class. The flight was on-time and was on a new 767. I spoke with the pilots in LUN and they were both American and friendly. The seat in Business was very comfortable and after a good lunch, I took a long nap as we flew to ADD. The Business lounge in ADD was full and lacked anything to drink. I made my connection to CAI which was on a clean 737. I had dinner and we landed on-time. The price for Business was good. I really do not have any complaints and I will fly Ethiopian Airlines again.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  6 August 2011 by L Worthington   (Egypt)

Cairo-Addis Ababa-Johannesburg return. During what should have been 4 flights on Ethiopian Airlines, not one left on time. Our fourth flight was cancelled and we were booked onto a flight 26 hrs later. But on arrival at Addis Ababa, we were refused a free hotel voucher for the layover and were required to pay 70 US$ per person for accommodation. For those travelling on a tight budget, that was more than we could afford. Hence a long sit in the very uncomfortable airport. We later transferred to another airline leaving sooner but our baggage was not transferred properly. We still do not have it 3 days later.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  29 July 2011 by Anders P Pedersen   (Denmark)

BKK-ADD-Kigali return. Business Class cabin (long haul): 24 seats, almost full – a few pax obviously upgraded on the long-haul outbound. Ethiopian still uses old noisy 767s which have worn out, hard slippery nappa-seats. However, for strange reasons they are quite good to sleep in despite not really reclining. Minor cosmetic errors here and there, 1 meal was not very fresh, footrest broken, plane noisy but outweighed by excellent and caring staff who become extremely pampering if you show interest and appreciation of their services. Seafood meal requested and given (all sectors). Food plenty, tasty, and additional meals offered. Good champagne. 4 Ethiopian cheeses are offered. Nice porcelain. Cloud Nine lounge in Addis had excellent food and as usual WiFi not working. 50 kg luggage allowance were given.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  26 July 2011 by E Dunken   (UK)

LHR-ADD, ADD-LHR. Boeing 767-300ER both ways. I entered the plane there was a pretty flight attendant wearing traditional Ethiopian clothes. My seat was a window seat. 25 mins after take off, drinks and food were served, the food was good considering other airline food. Our baggage arrived safely. I will use this airline in the future.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  22 July 2011 by Doreen Nakkazi   (UK)

The service is excellent. They are friendly even though at times they can be a bit hit and miss in not giving you updates about delays and luggage taking a long time at the airport. The food is good quality the cabin crew are friendly in terms of taking care of you.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  22 July 2011 by S Davis   (Myanmar)

BKK-ADD-ACC. Departure from Bangkok was 2 hrs late, without any explanation. Seats in Economy extremely cramped with only 1 functioning lavatory (out of 2). Food was fine, inflight entertainment was non-individual screens. Chaos in Addis at the gate (1a). I don't think anyone actually checked my boarding pass. Will avoid in future.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  4 July 2011 by L Dore   (Zimbabwe)

Harar-Addis-Stockholm. Flights more or less on time. Seats in Business Class not comfortable. I eventually moved to Economy Class which was quite empty, and were I could lay down across 3 seats. Felt like a big relief after having struggled to find a comfortable position in Business Class where seats only reclined slightly and the footrest not comfortable. Cloud Nine lounge nice, but as always very crowded. Ethiopian airlines seem to recruit flight attendants based on looks rather then personality. Service was poor and attendants rude. There were only 4 paying passengers in Business Class. There were four attendants. Still, it was impossible to get any service other then the scheduled drinks and meals. And this was handed out with an arrogant look and no smile. We were not reminded to put our seats in an upright position before landing, but commanded to do so. This, and closing of the toilets, was made far to early, about 40 mins before landing. Instead of being of service to the passengers, the attendants were being a nuisance. They were noisy, busy chatting loudly with each other, and occupied the only toilet in Cloud Nine very much of the time. I ended up having to use the one in Economy class despite the fact that they had seen me standing up and trying to get there a couple of times! I used Sheba miles to upgrade to Cloud Nine. Had I paid in order to treat myself and travel in comfort I would have been very disappointed.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  1 July 2011 by Frank Rispin   (Ethiopia)

Addis-London. Lounge at Bole very nice. Courteous service. Food fine. Told on entry I would be called for my flight and I was at the gate for security at the perfect time when the queue was at a minimum. Boarding very civilized. Flight excellent and on time. Baggage arrived quicker than usual at LHR T3. Only complaint is that in this particular 767 the seat I was in did not recline as it has bulkhead behind it, rows in between main First Class and Economy section.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  25 June 2011 by P Heintze   (Germany)

On my last few flights on Ethiopian, I realised how much one gets used to all those things that many airlines routinely offer. On Ethiopian I got the cheapest ticket available but still I felt that I paid enough to expect a better service. Most Ethiopian planes are too old to offer individual entertainment programme. Those that have the system installed, still only offer a very basic version of it. Very unsatisfying altogether. The pillows on all flights were not recently washed. The food is of lesser quality compared to what I recently enjoyed on Qatar and Emirates. The stewardesses do not make the impression that they are able to cater for anything else but the ordinary routine. Timing of serving the food was poor, 2am and 5am. Why do they need more than 2 hrs after take-off to serve dinner? The seats are old and uncomfortable. For taller people like me, anything but an emergency exit seat with additional leg room amounts to a health hazard as the legs cannot be shifted at all in a 7 hrs flight.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  20 June 2011 by N Soumah   (Thailand)

Bangkok-Conakry-Bangkok. Very long flights. Outbound sector Bangkok - Addis Ababa - Lome - Accra - Abidjan - Conakry, Inbound Conakry - Bamako - Lome - Addis Ababa - Bangkok). Both ways, the seats request were not given. Asking for an Emergency Exit row seat and I was seated in the middle of the cabin. The cabin was not very clean and aircrafts are aging. The toilets were not kept clean. Most of the flights were late and not on schedule. On the outbound sector, 1 checked bag was delivered 3 days after my arrival. On the inbound sector, 2 bags have been missing and delivered more than 24 hrs after landing. But I was kept informed by the TG Ground Staff as well as by the ET Bangkok Office. I found the Ethiopian Airlines Bangkok Office very helpful. Disappointed inflight services and ET will need to improve the baggage tracking system and making sure baggage are not left behind in favor to Cargo!

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  14 June 2011 by M Hathaway   (USA)

IAD-ADD-JRO, flights on time and airplanes in good condition. The food was decent and the tea was very enjoyable. They lost my bag on the ADD to JRO flight, but I picked it up just two days later. My return flight was more enjoyable, new plane ADD-IAD with PTV screens for entertainment with a great selection of movies and music.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  30 May 2011 by J Nolan   (Netherlands)

Brussels to Mombasa with a transfer in Addis. Takeoff from Brussels was slightly late with no explanation, also gate changed in Brussels went unannounced. I was surprised to find that the labeling for seats inside the 767 did not conform to conventional roman alphabets and one could not predict where the seat might be. Luckily I was in seat A which was a window seat, however my friend in seat E was disappointed to find he had an aisle seat. Seat was acceptable with leg room however for my friend, who is rather tall, it was cramped. A transit in Paris, and there was confusion as to how seats were distributed. As a result there was a great deal of complaint about groups being split up. The inflight film was non-existent and just an Airshow map. For some reason flight attendants decided to wake us, aggressively, to have a meal at 2am. Stewards rudely woke up every passenger and insisted they chose a meal - both of which looked absolutely vile. After this it took 80 mins for them to offer a cup of tea. Lights did not go off for a further hour giving a mere 2 hours of sleep before breakfast was thrust upon us in the same manner as the 2am meal had been. Breakfast was basic and the bread was stale. Upon arrival in Addis we were made to stand outside for 20 minutes waiting for a bus to take us to the transfer lounge. The transfer lounge was medieval. The toilets were disgusting. Security at the airport was terrible when boarding the flight for Mombassa as water was simply waved through despite being maybe 800ml. Addis to Mombassa was fine. Flight back from Mombassa to Addis was also alright, plane was half empty as well, and lunch was quite nice. Addis Ababa main terminal is an unusual place in that it gives the impression of being decent, however after five minutes you want to smash the glass. All shops are identical and food is overpriced. Addis to Paris was awful. My controls for the screen did not work and there was nothing broadcast on the larger screens. My friend was missing a blanket and it was 2 hours before one was provided. Dinner returned with its usual rude demand that it be eaten. Cabin announcements were impossible to understand. Upon arrival in Paris we waited for what seemed like an hour before being informed that strikes meant we would have to take a bus to Brussels. They claimed to provide breakfast but actually it was only a crumb of a croissant and a gulp of coffee. Paris airport is not the worst to get stuck at and I was happy to wait for a bus. However, the ground staff simply refused to provide information as to when it was coming. The bus drive to Brussels was uneventful but slow (they should have provided us with train tickets in my opinion.) This is the worst airline I have used. Avoid!

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  30 May 2011 by David Vlcek   (UK)

Overnight business class flight from Addis Ababa to London Heathrow. I was horrified on state of the plane when I boarded. Seats in business class were old, falling apart, buttons to change seating positions were missing, seats dirty and inflight entertainment only on main screen at the front of the cabin. Cabin crew was disorganised, service was bad.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  13 May 2011 by Paul Kershaw   (South Africa)

Flew Business Class JNB-BKK return. Planes old and some of the seats were not functioning correctly with masking tape being paced over some of the seat controls, sound equipment not working on two of the legs. When boarding in ADD for the leg to BKK, economy class passengers were sitting in our allocated seats and FA's didnt even clean the seats when they were reluctantly sent back to the back of the plane. The same happened when we boarded in BKK for the return trip, as the plane had come in from HKG. The economy class passengers were extremely rude about having to move and left their luggage in the overhead compartments, and so our hand- luggage had to remain on the floor for the trip as 'there was no more room'. Cutlery and glasses were dirty, IFE did not work, toilets disgusting. Although FA's were attentive, the flight was uncomfortable and it was not a good experience.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  6 May 2011 by Peter Farmer   (South Africa)

JNB-ADD-LHR-ADD-JNB. Twice the baggage allowance of many carriers. Online booking efficient. Check-in at JNB/LHR friendly & efficient. Flight attendants friendly, food good. Free wine and soft drinks served. Changeover at Addis quite painless and you can get food and drink at very reasonable prices. Negative was that legroom seemed less than in some other airlines, but still okay, considering the price.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  1 April 2011 by Malcolm Campbell   (UK)

LHR to Johannesburg via Addis, temperature in the aircraft way too high on every flight despite many requests to turn it down. Only food on offer on two of the flights was fish, which we do not eat so went hungry. Very stingy with free drinks offered. On return from Addis found ourselves stopping in Rome unannounced so arrived late at LHR with many people missing connecting flights/buses etc. Baggage only arrived 6 days later with information about the luggage very difficult to obtain.

Ethiopian Airlines customer review :  23 March 2011 by R Knights   (UK)

LHR-ADD-JNB return. On both the outward and return trips, was stuck on the floor of an airport overnight with no prior warnings and no offers of accommodation or compensation. Being stuck in ADD overnight with no accommodation offered, told that dinner would be served in 30 minutes at 11pm - it arrived at 3am. Repeatedly misled about departure times of aircraft and availability of seats for flights we were confirmed on. Refused entry on a flight after a night at the airport due to confirmed flight being cancelled, despite business class seats being available. Passengers booked on later flights which had been cancelled, boarding ahead of passengers on earlier cancelled flights due to connections in the airline. We arrived 3 days late to our destination and 2 days late on the return trip. The full letter of complaint goes on for 3 pages, and there are many incidents not covered here.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8