Ethiopian Airlines Passenger Reviews and Ethiopian Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Kevin Bradley (Canada)

Went to Addis Ababa round-trip from Toronto for a business trip! Got the opportunity to fly Business Class, or should I say Cloud Nine both ways! Plane was a fairly new Boeing 787 Dreamliner. Flight ran an hour late due to ground issues. Food was great. Staff were friendly. Inflight Entertainment could have more choices instead of just 85 channels. But I wouldn't complain as I only used it once, and would be on my laptop, or asleep for the entire flight. The nice lie-flat seats were my favorite part of the airplane. On the way back, it was via Rome another Dreamliner. We left on time from Addis Ababa, but for some reason, left late from Rome. Wish the flight attendants could fulfil passengers request for turning on the A/C because the plane was smoking hot when in Rome. Same thing as the flight to Ethiopia, good food, and friendly staff. Ethiopian Airlines never fails to disappoint me with their friendly service! Looking forward to flying them again!

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by N Beinhacker (USA)

1 Nov 13, EA 501, Washington DC to Addis Ababa on Dreamliner. 29 Nov 13, EA 815, Addis Ababa to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. 10 Dec 13, EA 814, Kilimanjaro, Tanzania to Addis Ababa. 10 Dec 13, EA 500, Addis Ababa to Washington, DC on “Dreamliner. All travel in Economy. The worst flying experience my wife and I have had in over 50 years. Flight to Addis was a nerve racking 15 hours, of shrieking children. Parents made little if any effort to control their children. Flight staff were non responsive and did nothing. Repeated requests to be relocated met with indifference and non-responsiveness. Entire flight staff were unsmiling. Dreamliner was more of a nightmare - the cabin was hot. The power ports for computers did not work. In fact, the inflight entertainment system did not work at the start of the flight. Food barely edible. Once in Bole Airport it took 1.5 hours for bags to be off loaded. Flight to Kilimanjaro followed a similar pattern. Provided WITH misinformation sending us to the wrong departure terminal. Had to go through security twice and rush to another terminal to catch our flight. Conditions were chaotic with no support personnel the airline. Another aircraft full of screaming unruly children. Flight back to Addis Ababa was another disaster. The flight we were booked on arrived an hour late and during this time no Ethiopian Airline employee was available to provide any information. Our previously confirmed seats were not available on check in despite having a long-standing confirmed reservation. Arrived late in Addis and had to rush to make our connecting flight to Washington DC. Again, no help and were put on the wrong bus. Dreamliner flight back to Washington DC was again a nightmare experience. Even fuller with uncontrolled children. The crew were even surlier, more incommunicative and more negative than on the initial flight. Impossible to sleep or relax. Although other seats were available all requests to be moved were refused.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Thabile Hlophe (Saudi Arabia)

Saudi Arabia Riyadh to Ethiopia then transit to Johannesburg, the same route when coming back. I'm very disappointed with ongoing flight cancellations, very disorganised, unreliable and getting worse instead of improving. No entertainment, very filthy with ugly marks on every seat. The airport in Ethiopia is overcrowded with a lot of people pushing each other - not organized at all. I will never use this airline and I would discourage anyone from using it.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by Mildred Navvubya (Uganda)

For the price, the service say is ok. By market standards comparing with the competitors like British Airways, Emirates, etc, the service is way below standard. I took the 8.15pm flight from Heathrow. My destination was Entebbe but we had to go via Addis Ababa. We were meant to leave Addis Ababa at 10.15am but we left at 12.08, implying that were delayed for 2hrs. We got no communication from them about the delay until after 40mins. They just stood outside chatting! Surely if this is the way Ethiopia is leading Africa then it means Africa will never move on.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Dereje Adugna (Kenya)

Addis Ababa - Rome Fiumicino, Oct 25, 2013. Washington Dulles, DC to Addis Ababa, Nov 4. Addis Ababa to Kotoka Airport, Accra, Nov 13, 2013. It is a very good experience traveling with Ethiopian from America and Europe to Africa. The airline is very punctual, efficient, up to standards and above compared to a lot of failed airlines in the world. Fast growing with modern technologies including Dreamliner with smiling flight attendants.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Derindag Omer (Turkey)

ET 619, KUL-BKK, 22 Nov 2013, Boeing 767. First and last time I will fly Ethiopian Airways. I choose ET because it is a Star Alliance member. No mobile application for check-in. No self check-in kiosk at the airport. At the counter I got my BP after 10 minutes waiting because of the slow system. On board: broken seat screen, under average clean seat and overhead bin, not providing arrival card for Thai immigration. Cabin crew trying to be nice but when you ask something they were unresponsive and rude. I asked for coffee after finished my tea and was served the coffee unwillingly. During the taxi all CC were roaming around and they didn't care that some passengers were on the phone. Food was good and tasty even though there was no fork and tissue pack on the tray.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by A Medved (Slovenia)

We were supposed to be flying on Ethiopian airlines from the Seychelles on 1st Nov 2013. However, due to "a slight mechanical problem" the flight was delayed for 48 hours. They refused to rebook us on other flights and kept us waiting for 2 whole days. No update on the situation was given, the staff were rude, insensitive, no one apologized for the delay, even more, no one bothered to care. They simply disappeared from sight. On the second day they actually took us back to the airport and let us wait there for 7 hours before telling us that the plane had not been fixed yet. All in all, we had to spend more than 20 of those 48 hours at the airport. I guess it's fine as long as there are no problems, but they are terrible when things go wrong. I'll never fly Ethiopian airlines again. Why they are a member of Star Alliance is a mystery to me.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2013 by S Banister (UK)

Outbound 03/11/2013, ET701, LHR-ADD 11K. Was flying home very last minute as my mother died very suddenly. The Dnata ground crew were great on check in and gave me a quiet seat as requested. I had to travel with assistance as was meant to start chemo on 04/11/2013 and all was okay until an hour after take off. I went to the loo and found about 20 people waiting, the reason, three toilets were broken on board, leaving only four for over 200 pax! On arrival at ADD no wheelchair and we disembarked via stairs, Left on tarmac waiting for bus for 20 mins. At the terminal I was told to find my own wheelchair. On boarding my flight to Ndola, ET871 the escalator was broken so was carried down backwards. Lift to plane was broken so had to wait to board and was last on. Again crew were great. 12/11/2013, ET871, NLA-ADD and ET700, ADD-LHR. Flight 871 was fine but again on arrival at ADD, no wheelchair. The cabin crew off 871 ended up finding me a wheelchair and wheeling me themselves. After complaining I was allowed me to use the business class lounge for my 5 hour transit. All I needed was to be able to sit in a quiet place. On boarding ET700 I found the seat to be broken and very uncomfortable. The crew were great but in the end they are let down by ageing 767 300ERs that have seen better days. It was like flying in the 80's, especially as there was only overhead TV entertainment, showing French films to and from London!

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2013 by George Strohyj (Canada)

Just returned from a trip to Tanzania. All 4 flights were on time, excellent service on check-in, excellent inflight service on all the flights. Our luggage did not connect with us from ADD to Kilimanjaro but made it on the next flight. Excellent communications between tour company and airline to get our luggage to us. They are completing a new airport in ADD so their claim to be the hub in eastern Africa is on its way.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by D Turner (USA)

Flew Ethiopian from Kigali to Paris with the Paris connection in Addis. Upon arriving in Addis I learned that I had been routed through Stockholm with an insane 1 hour stop at 2.30am in Cairo! Despite there being plenty of business class availability on the Addis - Paris direct flight Ethiopian airport staff claimed they could not move me. Quite frankly I have not seen a more inept and unhelpful airport operation in a very long time. They aggressively push their star alliance affiliation but claim to have no ability to access star alliance reservations etc. Infuriating. Business class in flight service as good was fantastic but Ethiopians 767-800 business class seating is terrible - especially for a 9 hour flight with an hour stop in Cairo. Never fly this route on these planes.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  15 November 2013 by M Mach (USA)

My family and I were flying from the US to Kenya via Addis Ababa. The layover in Addis Ababa was terrible: long lines through security; long lines waiting for our tickets to be printed, crowded, poor communication for travelers that were waiting for connection flights, and generally poor technical service. Long story short, we almost missed our flight. The aircraft was literally, waiting for us to board. Our tickets had not been printed out. One of the airline ticket collector had to leave their post and quickly write out our names on sheets of ticket paper. Other than that, the aircraft ride was good. Shaky, worn out seats, but relatively comfortable. We had been given the front-most seats closest to the exit. The best part of it all was the food! Honestly, I felt that going through all that hassle and to get to eat what the kind and demure hostesses gave us was worth it. Well cooked, unfrozen, good, filling, tasty organic food!

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2013 by Eric De Muylder (Belgium)

I was on the same flight from Seychelles to Addis Ababa on 1 November. Apart from leaving us so much time at the airport (25 hours in 3 days), we only got a coupon from drinks after asking and filling an official complaint to a police officer.We were told that we would be contacted to get a compensation from our office in Belgium, but after I made contact myself, up to now, all I got was an excuse that the person dealing with his is on holiday. Worst thing, after we were already 2 days late, they remove us from the hotel at 11 am to save on the room cost, just to sit in the airport to look at the checkin counter who opened only 2 hours later.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by J Skotlas (Canada)

Things are OK as long as things go right. As soon as something goes wrong this airline fails miserably. We were leaving Seychelle Islands when the plane had to turn back. they knew it could not be fixed but left us waiting for hours at airport before sending us to hotels. Next day we went back but the same thing happened again. We were not well informed and left in the dark most of the time in updates. 48 hours we waited in total before another plane came to get us. We were also not compensated for our wait. The flight crew tried their best and were nice, but their superiors are the problem. On the flight out, we went to a supervisor at Addis Ababa to tell about our problems but he was rude and uninterested. Never will I fly with them again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Ilangovan Mahendran (Democratic Republic of Congo)

14 years ago due to bad experiences I stopped travelling. After the airline joined Star Alliance I thought things would change. Food - all 4 Sectors (Lubumbashi-Addis, Addis-Seychelles, Seychelles-Addis, Addis-Lubumbashi) had the same food (Mashed Potato, Chicken, Beans) for my 3yrs old daughter and dry chicken for myself. Inflight entertainment: same program runs for 1 hour on all the segments. Baggage, if one see the Addis airport one can imagine how the airline would be handling the baggage. I lost my baggage on my return trip. Why Star Alliance have accepted Ethiopian Airlines is a mystery.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Abdulmohsen Alhashim (Kuwait)

The way good airlines are distinguished from bad ones is how they deal with unexpected events. I missed my connection flight from Addis Ababa to Kuwait and that happens. But for them to make minimum effort to attend to passengers missing their connection flights and pay no attention to customer satisfaction is unacceptable. They offered me the most uncomfortable alternative itinerary, the one that is most convenient and cheapest for them with no consideration to my inconvenience. Also had to pay from my own pocket to make the route easier. Addis Ababa airport staff are extremely rude and there is no escaping being subject to their rudeness since you have to ask around for your connection gate as there are no clear directions at the poorly facility that is their airport. I would rather pay extra for Emirates and guarantee a respectable treatment when things go wrong.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  11 October 2013 by N Roberts (USA)

They don't have it together. Seats seem narrow compared to other airlines and pitch seemed smaller than most. Plane stopped in Rome to change crew! Who ever heard of that these days! There were no such stop on the outbound flight. This was a Boeing Dreamliner, the new plane. Rome stop was not disclosed on ticket. While stopped in Rome, one flight attendant told me I had to unbuckle my seat belt! The flight attendants did serve lots of food. We flew with Ethiopian from Washington DC to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa. It was a long flight and physically uncomfortable. The flight from Kilimanjaro to Addis was on a Boeing 767, which was way more comfortable and helped me verify the comparison. The pilots and/or PA system made English announcements that were unintelligible.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by S Green (Israel)

TLV-ADD-LOS. B737-800. TLV-ADD, 1am departure. You would think they would be in a rush to serve the food and let everyone sleep. Not so. Lights turned on after takeoff for a lengthy 2 hours to serve dinner to a half full flight. Only 2 FA's in Y class. Bathrooms in the back not stocked. Constant lines, I can't imagine when it's full. Only 2 toilets for a whole cabin. FA's very nice and gentle. Very good selection of drinks, and very generous. Food tasty. ADD-LOS on ancient B767-300. Gate was changed twice, and hundreds of people were running from gate to gate in the mad rush that ADD airport is early in the morning. Last minute aircraft change caused chaos with seat changes, and passengers were still standing ,looking for open seats when the plane was already taxiing. Good food, attentive gentle service, again generous bar service. After touch down in Lagos passengers were getting up, opening overhead bins while plane was still taxiing. Would not listen to FA requests to remain seated.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  7 October 2013 by Philip Reinheimer (USA)

Outgoing flight from D.C. to Addis Ababa cancelled without notice. Flights were full each way. The Dreamliner returning flight was less comfortable in seat quality. The baggage service to and from was very slow.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Anders Pedersen (Denmark)

NBO-ADD-NBO, onboard Boeing 737-800. New aircraft(s) and both flights almost full. They allocated first windows and aisles seats and then fill up the middle seats for those checking in late. Service, FAs, and catering generally good. First leg three food options. Various juices, Carlsberg beer and red and white wine on mini- bottles offered. Both flights delayed almost 1 hour at departures, and at arrivals only 30 minutes (as flight-time is over budgeted likely in an attempt to disguise delays). No individual flight entertainment and earphones only provided on the outbound leg. Homebound only offered chicken as hot meal no other option. Gates crowded and calls for boarding by far too early at both departures causing many pax were trapped in narrow gate area 1-1 hour prior to departure. Few were aware they could leave the gate area once “boarded”. However, in Addis that would imply passing security once more and quite some additional walking.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  4 September 2013 by E Forsman (Kenya)

Niamey-Abuja-Addis-Nairobi. First leg on ASky code share with ET. Refused check-in at Niamey, staff claimed I had no booking. I had a printout, and had checked online the previous day. Discussions were going back and forth but staff insisted I was not booked. I refused to leave the counter until they showed me the full passenger manifest, my name was number 4 on the list. Suddenly there was no problem checking in. Flight with ASky good on a fresh Q400 Next Generation. Small breakfast (various breads) served. Transfer in Abuja, Nigeria another hustle, transit passengers were taken to the terminal and after 30 minutes a staff member came and asked for our passports and bookings and he would come back with boarding passes for next flight to Addis. He came back and the requested aisle seats were given. Flight on a B777-200 was OK, AVOD worked fine and cabin staff friendly. Choice of food was down to beef stew only and it was not to my taste. Addis Ababa - standard chaos in the remote gate upon boarding. PA system at this airport barely audible. Bad signage at the gates, staff not friendly. Addis-Nairobi on 737-700, hot meal served on this short flight at 23.15. My bag did not arrive. I got an SMS on Sunday it was to be collected at the airport. ET may be offering fair prices it seems, but somewhere down the line they are cutting the service short and you end up sacrificing half a day collecting the bag they lost. Transit time in all locations were more than 2 hours.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  3 September 2013 by C Budd (Canada)

4 different Ethiopian Airlines flights during the last month. First, from Toronto to Addis Ababa, was scheduled to leave 1 hour before the time stated on my e-ticket. Fortunately, we were there on time. Then we sat on the tarmac for an hour while they fixed something in the cockpit. Once in the air we discovered that we were headed for Rome despite the fact that our e-ticket stated it was a direct, non-stop flight from Toronto to Addis. Next flight was from Addis to Nairobi and it, too, left 45 minutes late but no reason was given for this. On the way home we had a non-stop direct flight from Kilimanjaro to Addis. Arrived at the airport to learn that the flight was going via Zanzibar! Assured we would still make our connection in Addis to another ET flight to Washington and that they would hold the flight for us if we were late. Flight left Kilimanjaro 50 minutes late yet we were still assured that they would hold the plane in Addis for all the people on the flight who wanted to make the same connection. Arrived in Addis to find that they had not held the plane for us! We stood in a crush of people at the ET counter for an hour and a half. They rescheduled our flights for 24 hours later and sent us to a hotel for the night. It was 3am by the time we got there. Never again.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8