Dutch Antilles Express Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Add your Dutch Antilles Express Review

Dutch Antilles Express Star Ranking

Customer Review scoring : Dutch Antilles Express
1.5 Star Rating: Poor

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Liisa Filipsson    (Sweden)

We flew Aruba - Curacao - Aruba and we were very pleased with the airline. No problems at all! Nice personnel. Nothing to complain about.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  28 August 2013 by N Peacock    (USA)

Flight from Orlando to Curacao was cancelled. No notification, no one at ticket desk. Spent 3 hours trying to get hold of someone. Best they could do was get me on flight the next day from Miami. Drove to Miami. Arrived at airport to return to Miami the following week. Airline was not even listed on departing flight list and no one was available at ticket desk. Finally found a ticket office on other side of building. No one available. Still can not get hold of anyone. Booked a flight through another airline the following day.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  28 August 2013 by M Chu    (USA)

Our flight from Aruba to Curacao on August 21st was supposed to take off at 11.45am. Arrived at the airport at 10am to find our flight was delayed to Noon. At 11.30am, they started boarding a flight for Curacao. When we got up to the front, we found out it was the Insel Air flight and not ours. No one from DAE was around for questions. An airport official said that the flight coming from Curacao had not even left yet and it'd be hours until we'd find out anything and that we should come back around 2/2.45pm. At 2.45pm, we saw an update on the screen saying our flight was now scheduled for 4.45pm. Around 4pm, the gates we were stationed at were taken over by other airlines and we found out that our flight was further delayed to 6.45pm. Note that during this entire time, no one from DAE ever showed up. 6.45pm came and went with no news. Finally around 7pm, the first DAE personnel walked toward our gate. Assured that the flight was on its way and we would be out of Aruba shortly after 8pm. Note that we had bought round trip tickets but given our experience, we then booked a one-way return flight with Insel. When we showed up on Saturday, August 24th for our return flight to Aruba, we found our original 8am DAE flight could not even be found on any screen and we were lucky to have booked another airline.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  27 August 2013 by M Davis    (USA)

BON-CUR-MCO, 8/11/13. Took a chance using DAE for our return flight. Very slow check-in line in BON with one agent. Flight delayed an hour leaving BON - no announcements regarding a delay or any personnel at the gate - leaving us to wonder if there would be a flight that day. Same situation in CUR but a one hour delay isn't much to get excited about down there. Both planes were surprisingly newer, clean and comfortable. Flight crews were efficient and professional. All bags arrived quickly in MCO. This was a surprisingly good experience although I wonder if we just got lucky that time.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  27 August 2013 by David Cosby    (USA)

Arrived in Curacao from Venezuela for my flight to Miami. There was no one at the DAE check-in desk and the agent at the next counter told me they had gone out of business. She directed me to the DAE office in the next building. There was a large crowd outside the DAE office and they were all yelling at someone. Some told me the flight was canceled and there were no other DAE flights available for 2 or 3 days, and others said the airline was out of business. I managed to get on a flight out of Curacao to Charlotte. I should have known something funny was up when DAE wouldn't allow me a seat assignment when my ticket was booked. Never again!

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  27 August 2013 by Marvin Abela    (Curacao)

It takes one hour to fly from Curacao to Dominican Republic. We went for one week and both trips took 6 hours each. First flight was delayed and we had to return to the airport due to air cabin pressure problems, more delays until another aircraft came. On the return - 4 hours delay.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  24 August 2013 by Jill Crome    (French Guiana)

Aruba to Paramaribo, 20 August. Apart from the unexpected departure taxes collected at the airport mentioned by others below, we arrived in transit in Curaçao and saw that our flight on to Paramaribo was delayed, now to leave at 10pm instead of 8pm. Daley indicated then moved to 10.30pm. At 10pm, it then changed to 5am the following morning! We asked for a meal voucher and were told that they weren't giving any as everything closes in the airport at 10pm! We spent the night trying to sleep on the floor of the departure lounge. At 5am a member of personnel announces that the aircraft is fuelled and ready but there's no pilot! At 7am the flight disappears completely from the screen, and nobody from DAE to be found. Eventually all passengers group together and request to return landside to go to the DAE office. They told us to reclaim our luggage and find our own way home! After half an hour, a manager comes and tells us she's found a pilot and we'll be leaving shortly. Finally we take off at 10.15am, more than 14 hours late. Onboard, the crew serve a glass of water and disappear! We did not see them again until landing in Paramaribo, nothing to eat and just a glass of water to drink, and not one apology for our lousy treatment. We had reserved a night's hotel in Paramaribo, which we had to pay for even though we spent the night in the airport.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  22 August 2013 by James Smith    (USA)

From Santo Domingo to Curacao on July 16, 2013. We booked our tickets on the internet and the price was shown as total price with total taxes. At check-in we were told that each passenger (adult and child) has to pay an additional 83 US$ in taxes. The transfer from the terminal to the aircraft was by bus and once in the aircraft we had to wait for more than 30 minutes with no AC or air coming out of the vents at an outside temperature of about 90'F. The cabin crew told us that the AC would only work after take-off. The aircraft and seats were old.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  20 August 2013 by B Keller    (USA)

Supposed to fly from Aruba to Curacao and then onto Orlando on August 18th. I verified my flight information at their offices in Aruba at the airport on Friday 16th. We were the first to check in at Aruba airport on August 18th at 7am as advised. No problems. We flew on a very old ATR plane to Curacao and arrived early despite leaving late. Upon arriving we saw the Orlando flight that was to leave at 10am was marked for 11am at the same gate as Miami. Only when we boarded the plane at noon (for the 10am flight), did we find out that the plane was really going to Miami and not Orlando and they took us off the plane. They rebooked us to Miami and told us we were going to be flown from Miami to Orlando on their airline on August 19th. We were advised Orlando and Miami were close and it was up to us to figure out how to get home. 48 hours later, 2 planes, a car rental and 2 bus transfers later we made it! Never again!

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  16 August 2013 by Robert Knauer    (USA)

Our flight (group) was scheduled to leave on 8/3 at 7am from Miami to arrive in Bonaire at 2pm, they decided without informing anyone until one day prior that they were cancelling both the 7am and 11am scheduled flights so they could pack our plane fuller and leave at 4pm (actually left at 5pm), causing us to get into Bonaire at midnight! We lost one whole day of our hotel. The flight crew, and ground crew did not care about any passenger concerns. They then proceed on the return flight to do the same thing to our entire group, and got us into Miami 6 hours late.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  8 August 2013 by R van Arben    (Netherlands)

Initially booked for a one way flight, departure at 11.30am. Informed that the flight was rescheduled for 8pm. Not much of a problem so far. Flight then had a delay, and the departure time would be around 10.30pm. After check-in and after passing immigration, we were waiting in the terminal until around 11pm. Suddenly we were informed that the flight had been cancelled. Several reasons for the cancellation were provided by the different DAE staff members. All of them were very unreliable, and the next flight to our destination would eventually leave 2 days later! We did not hesitate and booked a flight with Insel Air for the next day.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  1 August 2013 by P Brown    (USA)

Miami to Curacao, Jul 24, flight 502. Supposed to depart at 4 pm, departed at 6.15 pm. Returned from Curacao to Miami on Saturday Jul 27, flight 501. Supposed to depart at 11 am, departed at 8 pm. 9 hours delay. This airline is a total joke about timeliness. If you do not mind 6, 7, 8 hour delays and waiting in the airport without anyone even bothering to give you an explanation or coming up with meal vouchers then go for it. It seems that it is very common for this company to do this, not just a rare event. The employees are mostly pleasant except for nobody knows anything as to why the plane is delayed. The service once you eventually get to the plane is good.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  30 July 2013 by Mahendra Carpen    (USA)

Coming in to Curacao I was delayed 2 hours in Miami. I am presently in the Curacao airport, delayed for over 6 hours with not even a meal voucher, no plans for hotel in Miami and can only get a flight at 3.20pm tomorrow to get home from Miami. The customer service representative was rude, unhelpful and disrespectful. She did not help in rescheduling my flight, this I did myself at my own expense when she told me she can not help because my connection was too short anyway. I just got frustrated and took care of things myself.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  24 July 2013 by N Mortimer    (USA)

I'm actually in between two connecting flights via DAE as we speak. For some reason, it was cheaper to fly from Miami to PAP, Haiti by flying over Haiti, landing in Curacao, and taking a flight to Haiti the next day. Plane did leave quite late (flight was to be at 4 but we boarded around 5.15 and took off at 6), which I had heard was quite common with DAE, so I wasn't too surprised though I could be spared the wait. Plane was small, and there was no entertainment, but staff were friendly, and I was served 3 beverages and a rather tasty meal. Airport is small, but immigration wasn't too drawn out and I retrieved my luggage quickly. Whenever I asked staff anything, they were ready to assist and were very friendly. So basically, if you have time on your hands or aren't in a rush, DAE is actually not too bad especially considering the price.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  12 July 2013 by Delroy Turner    (Aruba)

Curacao to Dominican Republic on 6/7/2013 flight late from Curacao no explanation. Flew back to Curacao on 8/7/2013 flight scheduled to leave 5.30pm, aircraft did not arrive until about 7pm. When we tried to get information from personnel they were only interested in talking to each other and playing with their telephones. Upon reaching Curacao we were told the connecting flight was cancelled and we would be booked in a hotel and given meals. He proceeded give me a boarding pass for the next days flight to my final destination. He also told us that we will be picked up at 8am at the hotel. I noticed that the boarding time was 7.30am. With lots of luck we arrived at the airport to hear the final boarding call for the flight.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  17 April 2013 by Katrin Isidor    (Germany)

We flew on the 5th of April from Curaçao to Miami. Flight was delayed 2 hours without any notification in advance. Back from Miami to Curaçao the flight was again delayed 9 hrs! The worst part was that the flight should have left at 7 am in the morning. Therefore we woke up at 3.40 am and drove to the MIA Airport just to be told that the flight was cancelled in the morning.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  27 February 2013 by Merlin Calhoun    (USA)

We just returned from the ABC's last week. The only problems we encountered were with Dutch Antilles Express Airlines DAE. We had flights with DAE going between the islands and back again to Aruba on the last day. Our first flight with DAE was at 8am from Aruba to Curacao. The gates were changed twice and we would had sat there all day if a fellow passenger had not told us they had changed it. We finally got off the ground at 4pm. The 15 minute flight to Bonaire from Curacao was the same with a 10 hour delay. No one had any info on when or if the flight would go until the last minute. Onboard the plane, seats had been double and triple booked. DAE was late taking off on the trip back but only by an hour. They rushed us off the plane in Curacao to go through customs and right back on to the same plane. Arrived in Aruba 30 minutes later but our luggage was not to be found. DAE was no help at all in recovering the luggage. A worker at luggage claims for the airport tracked it down for us.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  12 February 2013 by C Reed    (Canada)

Our group of 4 experienced a 7 hr delay on Curacao to Bonaire flight Jan 24, 2013. Believe it was due to mechanical failure. We never received an email to inform us of any delays. Return flight Jan 31 - same thing. Another 6 hrs and 15 minutes. This time we expected trouble with DAE and kept our hotel until flight time. In total DAE took a day of our vacation away from us. We had one more flight booked (and paid) for with DAE but flew INSEL instead. Never again will I fly DAE and I will make sure the world knows how unreliable they are.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  18 January 2013 by Carl Michaelsen    (USA)

A month before our trip to Curacao, we booked an island hopping trip for Jan 8 from Curacao to Bonaire and back the same day, and for Jan 10 to Aruba and back the same day. Flight to Bonaire was 3 hours late with a different flight number which means they canceled our scheduled flight but they don't admit to that. Our trip home that afternoon was canceled. Nobody behind the counter, we had to search them out. Eventually they bought us a ticket on Insel to get us back. On Thursday, our non-stop to Aruba eventually became a one stop by way of Bonaire 4 hours later. Again our original flight was canceled, but they don't admit it. By the time we got to Aruba, we had to deal with out flight back to Curacao which was posted 3 hours late. How can a 20 minute flight be 4 hours late? This is not just a one time thing if you read the other reviews.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  2 January 2013 by D Parpacen    (USA)

My husband and I both flew from Aruba to Caracas changing planes in Curacao in December 2012 but one week apart. My husband warned me before my flight that Aruba was a mess, referring to Dutch Antilles Express specifically. Later that same day from Curacao he informed me that his plane was delayed, without any information as to when he would leave. He left 3 hours late which resulted in him not being able to get his rental car in Maiquetia (CCS). A week later I embarked. Flight leaving Aruba was 4 hours late and there were no DAE representatives in sight until just before the plane became available. I thought I had surely missed my connecting flight in Curacao but DAE had also delayed that one - 5 hours. Once we were on the plane there was a row of 3 seats disconnected from the floor at one end. Obviously no one would sit there and we had to wait for it to be fixed. Pay more for quality and service.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  23 December 2012 by H F Hirsh    (USA)

MIA 9 Dec 2012 to Flamingo Airport Bonaire to return 18 Dec 2012. Flight to CUR departed and arrived on schedule, but, my flight to Bonaire was non-existent. Apparently their plane had been out of service since late November. I was told that I would be placed on a later flight. What I was not aware was the flight was 11 hours later and I had to leave transit (paying tax) in order to talk to DAE rep. Thankfully I was placed on the last flight to Bonaire - Tiara Air. Prior to my return I ensured DAE had a plane for my BON-CUR, but, due to fuel/money issues my 20.30 flight did not depart until 1.00 am landing at MIA 4am. I was given meal vouchers but I will never use again.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  30 November 2012 by Steve Sylvestro    (USA)

We were supposed to fly from St Martin at 10 am to Curaçao. The day before we received an email stating we now have to go to Santa Domingo then Curacao adding 4 hours to a 1 hr flight. The crew were very nice but utterly clueless. We go to leave Curaçao scheduled time 10 am, get to the airport to find out the flight had been changed to 11am. I am writing this at 11.30 and the plane hasn't even landed yet and would have to be cleaned and refuelled. Counter staff say its going to be a little late, maybe 12.30 like its ok? Never Again. The best thing was we paid extra for business class! Guess what? There is no business class, the whole plane is economy.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  27 November 2012 by Eleanora Fanis    (Curacao)

My husband and I travelled on 18 November to Miami. Flight was on time and the staff friendly and accommodating. Service was top touch. Unlimited drinks served along with dinner. Already planning my next trip on Dutch Antilles Express.

Dutch Antilles Express Customer review :  23 November 2012 by Gerard Adriani    (USA)

An unexpected airport tax had to be paid at departure and transit. There is no indication of this when you book the ticket. The tax for departure is $30/person, which, for a flight of 25 minutes (Aruba to Curacao) is so steep that the economics of the trip changes and that another airline would have been much cheaper. We consider this practice unfair. In addition, the check-in process is extremely inefficient. It took the check-in person over 1 hour to check in 3 groups with a total of 12 people. There is no online or kiosk check-in.

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  13 October 2012 by C Dewindt   (Curacao)

I flew Dutch Antilles Express Last week to Miami on the flight 503. Flight was perfect, departed exactly on time and the flight attendants were great. We were frequently asked if we would like something to drink and food was good, the flight back was great too. No delays.

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  22 August 2012 by P Neville-Hadley   (Canada)

On July 4th 9H974 from Caracas to Curaçao was due to leave at 9pm. Checking in at 6.30pm we were told it would be delayed by an hour and a half. Departure time was progressively put back without any explanation. Eventually departed more than 15 hours late with no hotel, no compensation, one glass of fruit juice only after several hours' delay, and modest breakfast in the morning after a night spent (with two small children) on airport chairs. No effort made to communicate with English-speaking passengers, so we were lucky even to get that. A handful of passengers did get a hotel provided, but no idea why them and not the rest. Four days later flight from Curaçao to Aruba also delayed. Two flights were combined into one including passengers who had been overnight in Curaçao because of delayed inbound flight and missed connection they had been told would be held for them. Boarding chaos with passengers left waiting outside in heat for 30 mins because crew had not yet boarded, and then free-for-all inside plane because of decision to offer 'free seating'. Avoid at all costs: It's hard to imagine that any other airline flying the same routes could be worse.

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  2 August 2012 by C Ryan   (USA)

Miami to Bonaire. Overall, I thought the service was very good. Initially, I had a 2 hour delay in Miami but after that, everything went as planned into Curacao and Bonaire. Their flight attendants were very nice and had prompt service. The planes were a little dated but clean and well maintained. The plane was a little warm before take off but after we got in the air it was fine. Overall, I would fly again and hope everyone has a good experience like me.

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  31 May 2012 by G Gerry   (Germany)

We had booked and paid for the afternoon direct flight from Bonaire to Curacao scheduled for departure at 4 pm and arrival at 4.30pm. One day before the flight, time was confirmed by the airline. At the airport we learned that the departure will be delayed to 5.30 pm. After boarding we were informed that the flight was not going to Curacao but to Aruba first. After the involuntary visit to Aruba we landed at Curacao at 6.45 pm and almost missed our connecting flight. The interior of the plane was old and dirty, full chewing gum.

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  16 June 2011 by M Schubert   (Netherlands)

Lots of experience with this airline over the last five years. Flights usually late, that's as long as they don't leave early without informing passengers in a bid to improve their on-time arrival performance, at a cost to the passenger satisfaction. Service is shocking when compared to rival Insel Air. Last year, while having a three hour delay we received no information at all. When we asked a Dutch Antilles Express ground staff what was going on her eyes rolled back and we were made to feel as though we were causing trouble. In a nutshell, if you want to get to your destination safely, relaxed and on time, go with Insel!

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  14 March 2011 by R Lefort   (Canada)

Last two times we've flown from Aruba to Bonaire. Dutch Antilles Express stranded us in Curacao. They never inform the customer of what is going on - just let you wait for hours. We tried to get a refund because on our second trip we were not willing to wait 5 hours until after 1am to get to Bonaire on a flight scheduled to arrive at 9pm. We switched to Insel Air. If you have lots of time to waste, don't like to arrive in time and like to be treated badly, pick Dutch Antilles Express.

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  25 December 2010 by Rob Shaddock   (USA)

Curaçao to Bonaire is a 15 minute flight. Now been at the airport for 2.5 hours with apparently another 2.5hrs to wait. The delay is a pain but the reason for the bad review is the complete lack of customer service or in fact anyone with a clue. The first people told us there would be a short delay (no announcement or change in airport display ) then we were told the flight had departed then we were told it was delayed by 3.5 hours from it's original departure and after some complaining an announcement was made and the displays updated. If these people are this disorganized they shouldn't be running an airline.

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  10 September 2010 by R Lefort   (Canada)

Aruba to Bonaire (with stop in Curacao) on two occasions. On both occasions they were "short" of aircraft and took all passengers off in Curacao without indicating when they would get to Bonaire. In December we arrive in Bonaire past 1AM the next day. They avoided giving any information on departure time, explaining what was going on. In August, same issue. Lucky for us we noticed INSEL Air had a flight schedule at 8:30 PM to Bonaire - paid cash, moved luggage across, and got to our destination in reasonable time. Our advice to you: Stay Away from them!

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  25 June 2010 by A Souza   (Brazil)

AUA-CUR, Flight on time, but check-in too slow for a 50 seating plane. Flight lasts only 30 minutes, nothing is offered, no candy, chocolat or water. Cabin crew is quite friendly and speak lots of languages!

Dutch Antilles Express customer review :  30 April 2010 by George Vrontos   (Greece)

CCS-CUR-SXM-CCS. A nice regional airline, all 4 flights were on time. They do not transfer luggage from other airlines at CCS. All flights were on F100, old plane but well kept, with leather seats. The CCS-CUR is only a 30 minutes flight and they do not offer anything. The CUR-SXM flight is 1 hour flight, and they offer a small sandwich with beverage. Not a bad airline but nothing exciting about them.