Delta Air Lines Passenger Reviews and Delta Air Lines Customer Trip Reports

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by J Gardner    (USA)

DAL 417, LAX to SYD, and DAL 16 from SYD to LAX. Both legs on Delta's 777-200LR, in seat 7A. Used kiosk for check-in at both LAX and SYD. The Delta "business class" lounge at LAX is nothing more than Delta's normal "Sky Club", the facility was overcrowded and like being inside an extremely loud bar. The flights pushed back pretty much on time. Delta's 777-200LR is getting a bit worn looking, and the herringbone "suites" that face away from the windows (as opposed to the much-better window-facing suites used by carriers like Cathay Pacific) had walls so low that privacy was minimal. I was lucky enough to have seat 7A on both flights; 7A has the advantage of having a closet next to the seat, which in effect forms a cave that the seat reclines back into. The set-up is very good for allowing sleep. The flight crews were LA-based both directions, seemed to be made up of senior FA's, and on balance did a really nice service both directions. The flights featured three meal services - dinner/lunch, a mid-flight snack, and a light breakfast. The forward and mid galleys had a variety of low end snacks available throughout the flight. The AVOD system is OK (screen sizer and location) but nothing special, but it does have available a fairly broad selection of movies. The best part of the flights was my ability to sleep. I am a large guy and I've had real trouble trying to sleep in the flat-bed first and business seats used by British Air, Cathay Pacific, and Qantas. Delta was a refreshing change. I got 7-8 solid hours of quality sleep time on both flights. Part of the reason is that the FA's move the meal service process along efficiently and get the cabin lights down early into the flight. On arrival, although Delta offers BusinessElite passengers a fast-track immigration/customs pass, I didn't use them because as a TSA Global Entry cardholder I was able to use the kiosks in both Sydney and LAX. As I only had carryons, the total time from plane until I was out of the airport could not have been more than 10 minutes. In the past I've normally flown on Qantas to/from Australia and New Zealand, but with Delta's codeshare arrangement with Virgin Australia (an excellent carrier by the way in all respects) and given my outstanding recent experience on Delta's 777, I plan to continue using Delta for my travel to/from Oceania.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by R Rodriguez    (Philippines)

MNL-NRT-JFK (B744/Premium Economy), EWR-ATL(A319/Y), ATL-SNA (B757/Y), SNA-MSP (A319/Y), MSP-EWR (A320/Y) and JFK- NRT-MNL (B744/Y). In general, all my flights departed on schedule and on certain occasions even arrived at my destination ahead of schedule. I can safely say that since the last time I flew DL about 2 years ago, I noticed a significant improvement in the quality of service. Overall flying experience was very pleasant. Although a lot of the cabin crew are senior, I found most to be a lot nicer compared to the grumpy ones in the past. One noticeable improvement was upon boarding. The boarding gate staff are all friendly with special mention to the ones in ATL and JFK T4. They make it a point to greet all passengers by name and with genuine smiles. I was quite impressed by the staff at JFK T4 who took extra time to guide me through the check-in process using the kiosks. They were very helpful and not in a rushed manner. In-flight food on the long-haul flights were decent enough. For the short-haul flights, I was able to have as much nuts and pretzels as I want. IFE was pretty good with and easy interface and lots of options to choose from. I thought of trying the premium economy seats and though I'm 6'0" tall and a little on the heavy side, I still didn't find it of much value considering the add-on fee. I really didn't feel much of a difference compared to regular Y. I also found the new seats to be slightly more comfortable and didn't feel as cramped as before. Moreover, I've been lucky enough to have entire rows of 3 to myself on most of the flights I took particularly the long-haul ones. It took a bit work checking seat assignments on a regular basis but the effort was well worth. Not only did I get a whole lot of extra space and privacy but extra TV monitors, pillow and blankets as well. Much, much better than premium economy but at no extra cost. It was an overall pleasant experience flying DL this time.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by J Hickman    (USA)

Flew DL7, Dubai to Atlanta. Excellent service from staff. Yes, I am short so I fit into the sleeper seat and yes if I were taller it would not be a good fit. Screen on entertainment is adequate. Staff was warm, attentive and friendly.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by S Sherry    (USA)

We left unreasonably early (6 hours ahead) to drop off our rental car and to accommodate the weather. While on route to the airport Delta left a voicemail that our flight was delayed so we would miss our next flight home. He looked up another potential flight and asked if we were able to make it to a flight that should have been boarding as we spoke. So it seemed unlikely that we would make it but, it was delayed. So we rush to get to that flight make it to our next stop and are now hours early for our next flight. We head over to Delta and ask if there is any way possible to leave on an earlier flight home because it was not in our plan to be so early and sit at an airport for 5 hours. They could not accommodate us for an inconvenience that was not our fault without an extra charge of one hundred dollars. I'm not satisfied with my service from Delta Airlines to say the least.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by J Katnic    (USA)

I had to make a last minute trip (same day round-trip) to SFO from LAX on 12/12/2013. I have not flown in economy in years except for Southwest but chose Delta as their price was much lower than Southwest (first class not worth it for this short of flight in my opinion): I booked this trip 10 days in advance. While these flights are branded as Delta, they are operated by Compass. I must say that this is an excellent product! My flight to SFO, which left at 7.00am, left on time and arrived early. In addition, a light breakfast snack was served. This flight was half full so I asked for, and was given, an extra snack to take with me. This kind gesture saved me from having to purchase lunch later. The flight back left SFO at 5.00pm and arrived back on time. This flight was full but the same professional service was received. That being said, a snack and drink service helped make a really long day end well. These flights are operated by EMB 175 planes and there are no middle seats, only window or aisle. Besides the great price, service, and on time performance, I would recommend this trip as there are assigned seats and clearing security at the Delta terminals in LAX and SFO is much quicker than the Southwest terminals at each airport. I still love Southwest, but on this route, I have now found a better airline.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by E Aksu    (USA)

Boston (BOS) to Atlanta (ATL) to San Francisco (SFO). I was originally supposed to fly from ATL into SJC (San Jose) but was later rebooked, Dec 6thand Dec 7th. I missed my connection because the plane was first over- fuelled, then under-fuelled, and then there were issues with the "paperwork." In Atlanta, I was forced to call Delta call center (huge lines to speak with customers representatives on site) to rebook my flight, was asked to hold for 30 minutes. When I called again, they told me I was holding for no reason because the representative had hung up on my call. My bag is also missing.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Mike Davies    (UK)

Outward Manchester UK to Miami via Atlanta 5/12/13 and return from Fort Lauderdale 12/12/13. Flight booked in May for a 13/12 return. One month after booking the return ATL-MAN was cancelled by Delta. Automatically rebooked on a flight for the following day. Delta refused point blank to compensate for the inconvenience and extra nights accommodation. As such we chose to fly back a day earlier then our original plans. My request for compensation was a free upgrade from economy to economy plus on the return Atlantic flight. Simply had the terms and conditions quoted to me. Online check in is a joke. Had seats allocated together on each flight, but on clicking the change seat option you will find all other seats marked as unavailable. Options were available to upgrade however at a cost. Our expectations for the flight were therefore low on boarding. However, both pleasantly surprised with the flight and service. Transatlantic flight on a B767-300 which featured personal seat back TVs. Good choice although the music channels were a little mainstream for my preference. Food more than OK. Plenty of soft drinks offered and alcohol with the main meal. The return flight was on an older model and featured overhead TVs which didn't matter too much as it was an overnight flight and a good hour shorter in travel time than outward. Both internal flights on a B757-200 were adequate. Seat pitch for all four flights was fine, typical of an economy flight. Professional cabin crew on all sectors flown. Touch of humour with the Christmas 2013 flight safety video - certainly kept you watching it. All four flights were full in all cabins, all had on time departures and arrivals. Apart from the attitude towards a cancelled flight, no issues at all with Delta and would certainly fly with them again.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  12 December 2013 by I Bagwell    (USA)

ATL-JFK, Thanksgiving week. Despite Diamond status, I was with 2 family members so no upgrade O/B, but still managed Economy comfort. Pretty good for 2 hour flight, although no IFE. As it was thanksgiving I expected the worst, but flight took off on time and landed early. On the return all 3 managed to get upgraded to first. Again, pretty good for Thanksgiving Sunday. Landed on time, bags already on belt by the time we hauled ourselves from E terminal to bag claim. Overall not bad apart from the price ($500 r/t each), but again it was thanksgiving!

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by D TenClay    (USA)

MSP-JFK-MXP and return 4 days later. Economy comfort. First time doing this route as I prefer going into and out of Linate - Milan, but short notice trip forced itinerary. Very surprised and pleased with the 767 leg (JFK- Milan), wider seats and quieter cabin than the A330's used on MSP-AMS. CRJ 9XX on the way out a bit small for a 2.5 hr flight, A319 on return bigger but noisy. JFK transfer a bit of a hassle with on-going construction but new terminal is nice improvement. MXP was a pain to exit on return. Overall Delta experience is improving, and remains a decent choice from MSP to Europe. I still prefer Linate over Malpensa at least for now.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by Leo Enticknap    (USA)

ONT-SLC-CDG-AMS-MME on 2-3 December (some of the flights were on AF and KL metal, but it was a Delta ticket with DL flight numbers for all the segments). An unremarkable and hassle-free journey: all flights were on time, the vegan meal I requested for the transatlantic leg was there and both I and my suitcase made it successfully through three quite tight connections (though if I hadn't been able to use the Priority lane at CDG as a result of being a Flying Blue gold, I don't think I'd have made that one). Delta's refurbished 767-300ERs are a vast improvement on the previous cabin - they're now even nicer than the ex-Northwest A330s. The legroom in economy comfort is such that at 201cm tall, I didn't feel cramped at all, and the reading light actually lets you read without eyestrain. My only beef here is that the IFE was virtually unviewable, because of the constant stream of PA announcements throughout the flight that kept pausing it. After an hour of trying to watch a movie I'd only seen about 20 minutes of actual footage, and when someone came on the PA yet again to tell me in French that Delta extends a special welcome to Skyteam partners, etc., I gave up and read a book.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by L Michael    (USA)

I started flying Delta about a year ago and surprisingly there wasn't much to complain about. After reading a few reviews I was a bit sceptical, but I flew them from SIN-NRT-JFK and I enjoyed the flight more than SQ. The flight attendants were warmer and friendly while we departed on time and on schedule without delays. The legroom was better than SQ and was worth the extra cost. The food, although small in portions was not as bad as I expected. Overall I would recommend flying Delta.

Delta Air Lines Customer review :  4 December 2013 by N Sundera    (USA)

ATL-LGA-ATL, first class. Very motivated crew on both flights who seemed genuinely concerned about the well-being of the passengers. Catering was adequate for a 2-hour flight, although the meal uploaded in Atlanta was of better quality than the one served on the return. Return flight was delayed by 1.5 hours due to mechanical issues, but the crew handled it well, and tried to assist passengers with connections. Seats somewhat cramped and no IFE on the A320 and A319 I flew on, but I was favorably impressed with the crew.