PAGE loading ... please wait!

Cubana Airlines Passenger Reviews and Cubana Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Cubana Airlines Lounge Reviews

Cubana Airlines Economy Class seat reviews

Cubana Airlines Aircraft Seat Plans

Cubana Airlines Business class seat reviews

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  27 April 2011 by Laura Genoese   (UK)

Cancun to Havana round trip. We waited in line for over 2 hours at the baggage counter for the first flight, only to be told they had overbooked the flight and we'd have to wait another 8 houapologies. The plane was an older Russian model and it felt like a tank but got us there. People travel to Cuba with the craziest things (because supplies are so limited in Cuba), so check in took forever as folks had complete tire sets for cars, mini refrigerators, furniture, shrink wrapped climbing gear and so on. So, we arrived in Havana 9 hours later than scheduled thanks to the booking practices. The plane home left on time and was a much smaller older Russian model. When the air conditioner came on, the entire plane filled with white fog. Again, we landed without incident, but it is not comforting to read the old Russian signs in the plane and realize that your seat is falling apart. Service on both flights was fine. The flight attendants looked like this might be on their pre-retirement leg. Would not fly again.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  21 February 2011 by Nicola Robertson   (UK)

I think we were lucky with our flights. Both our outbound and inbound flights left and arrived on time. The planes are quite spacious so there is more legroom in economy than other planes I have flown, plus the plane wasn't fully booked so we had 3 seats for 2 people so could spread out. The inflight entertainment was awful, unless you like watching cuban music videos, football documentaries or surgery being performed - all of this in Spanish with bad English dubbing on the top. Food was good for airline but was disappointed with the 1 free drink which came for the meal. The cabin staff are rude - one of whom chewed gum with her mouth open for the whole journey home. Toilets were pretty disgusting.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  3 December 2010 by G Mothersole   (UK)

Gatwick to Holguin okay. The return Havana to Gatwick flight was a farce. An inexplicable 1.5 hour alteration to the proposed departure time followed by further delay, despite the aircraft being on station before the scheduled departure time. We only got on the plane after protests by several passengers. The flight was rather boring as many seats had no working lights or audio.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  25 September 2010 by Sharon Curno   (UK)

Recommend the following if travelling on Cubana. Wear light clothing, as the plane was full and they didn't seem to want to put the air conditioning on! Buy plenty of water, nibbles etc (even alcohol) at the airport before going on their flight. The only things they serve on the hostess trolleys are their local beer and havana rum. Water is served in small plastic cups. The food wasn't bad, but we didn't get a choice, take it or lump it! Entertainment is so bad, make sure you take books, mags, ipod etc. Its a long journey with nothing to do. Would I ever travel with them again - no.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  18 September 2010 by M Hannan   (UK)

London Gatwick to Holguin and return from Havana. Flights were on time both ways. On the outbound flight the entertainment system was not working. Food good, service was fine. Aircraft was a IL-96, built in 2007. Flight smooth, seats were OK. Was fine for the price we had paid.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  10 September 2010 by A Ohr   (USA)

After defunct Mexicana left us high and dry in Havana, the staff at Cubana was helpful. They had the next flight to Cancun, 5 hours after our canceled Mexicana flight, and told us while it was booked, there would probably be room for us. Come back in 2 hours. One and half hours later, they tracked us down in another part of the airport, and practically held our hand, taking us from purchase to check-in. However, then the bad news. The flight was delayed about 45 minutes before takeoff for unknown reasons, forcing us to miss our United flight in Cancun (to Denver) and stranding us for two days due to a Labor Day crush in Cancun. And when I saw a wooden floor the first thing when I walked onto the plane, and then the exit sign in Russian, I was skeptical. And I've seen better overhead bins on city buses. At times, I thought it would be my last flight ever, but the rubber bands held together and somehow the plane made it.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  20 August 2010 by S Good   (UK)

Just Arrived home from a holiday in Cuba flying with Cubana airlines. I sympathize with the people that had bad experiences but our flight was on time, we upgraded to Tropical class which was well worth it for GBP200 and had tons of room and good service. Granted the planes are old and Russian but still have to adhere to the same safety requirements. The inflight entertainment is terrible - in fact it's non existent but the food and drink were fine so take plenty of newspapers, books and PSP games for the kids. Cuban's do things differently and the fine details are not perfect by any stretch so if possible I would choose a different and trusted airline if you have a standard you expect. For example, I was told Tropical Class was better than Virgin Premium which is just a lie!

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  29 May 2010 by F Gulmohamed   (UK)

Most frightening flight ever. Our flight was re-routed to Gatwick an hour into the flight due to a mechanical /technical fault. It was the most turbulent one hour flight ever and we were flying so low at one point we thought we would crash. It transpired the hydraulics of the plane had failed, though they didn't tell us on the flight so as not to scare us - they told us instead that the plane has too much fuel in it, which was why fuel was spewing out of the engine. We suffered a 19 hour delay in total as they has to find a new aircraft for us the next day and we spent the night at the Hilton at Gatwick. On the second plane that was re- routed for us from Paris the next day, my husband's seat collapsed and the man behind him had to hold it up for him. Air stewards were nowhere to be seen. Cubana refused to give us a simple letter explaining the 19 hour delay which we may have needed for our insurance claim - they obviously don't care about customer service and have something to hide. Summary: Poorly maintained aircraft, scant security measures and old planes with no apparent security checking procedures and poor customer service.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  14 May 2010 by C Leech   (UK)

We took the Cubana flight mentioned in the previous review by E Vorster as we were unable to change our schedule and confirm the comments made. The service, if you can call it that was terrible, not one apology for the delay and a complete lack of interest by the cabin crew. We were lucky to be staying in Havana for three days so did not have to get an internal flight. Our flight back was by another airline as Cubana has problems with its planes again, Euro Atlantic which is a charter airline just as bad as Cubana, no entertainment, toilets not serviced etc. We can only say that we would not fly with either of these airlines again even if they paid us to. If you have the opportunity to fly with another airline even if it costs more then we would suggest you take it. Our worst airline experience ever and we have flown with budget airlines to some of the best.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  30 April 2010 by E Vorster   (UK)

We've just had a pretty horrendous experience on Gatwick to Havana/Houlguin flight. Things started to go wrong when we received notification from our Tour Operator about a week prior to departure that the flight time had been pushed back by 3hrs. On arrival at Gatwick we were faced with unorganised check-in, but managed to upgrade to Business Class for reasonable fee of 150pp. The flight took off on time, but about 30 minutes into a very uneasy and bumpy flight the Crew made a rather startling announcement that we were immediately returning to Gatwick. No other explanation given, no seat belts checked, no reassurance, no nothing. After a bumpy yet successful landing at Gatwick greeted by fire engines and applaud from passengers, we were herded into a transit lounge via bus and kept waiting for news. Eventually after struggling with airport security to be allowed to use the toilets, we were told we would be spending the night at an airport hotel. (This actually turned out to be The Hilton - the least Cubana could do after such a traumatic experience!). In the morning a Cubana rep came with news of a replacement flight that was leaving from Paris and was now going to make a stop at Gatwick to pick up the London passengers. Finally we learned that the 'technical problem' with the plane was due to a fault with the plane hydraulics. Nothing too serious then? We were assured that the replacement plane (although another old Russian Iliushin) could accomodate the London passengers (probably due to the number of people that were now refusing to fly Cubana). We went to the terminal to check in, only to find that this replacement plane was destined for Havana (so not doing the Houlguin stop) which for us meant completing an internal flight which no-one could give us a scheduled departure time for. Faced with a total delay of around 32hrs we decided against it and re-arranged our trip for another day with another airline, but I heard from another passenger I exchanged numbers with that on arrival at Havana, up to 15 peoples bags were missing - left in London by Cubana because the plane was overweight. Take from this what you will - you get what you pay for, but I for one, will never fly Cubana ever again.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  22 March 2010 by M Cross   (UK)

We had 9 hour delay at Gatwick with only explanation as 'operational difficulties' The flight then went to Havana instead of our destination which was Holguin we then had to get internal flight. The food was worst we ever had on flight, no films and the individual lights did not work so when cabin lights dimmed we couldn't even read. The toilets were not kept clean and ran out of soap and paper towels. If you have the choice please use another airline we certainly will never fly with them again.

CUBANA AIRLINES customer review :  22 March 2010 by N Kipp   (Canada)

On a recent trip to Cuba, I got in the lineup for my boarding pass before I realized that I had my expired passport with me instead of my current one. The supervisor on duty went out of her way to help me contact family to bring my passport to the airport. Since this trip would take my son an hour and a half, she gave him her phone number to give her his progress as he traveled. She looked into alternate flights that I could take also. Once my son arrived at the airport, she personally made sure that my luggage got on my plane since all other luggage had already gone. Our flight was great, as was the service and friendliness of all staff.

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  16 December 2009 by S Hutchison

Trip Rating : 8/10

London Gatwick to Holguin, then Holguin to Havana and back to Gatwick. Our flight was comfortable and staff were pleasant and helpful. Toilets were clean and adequately stocked. The food was hot and a better standard than some food I have had on recent flights with UK charters. We had no problems with transfers or baggage, which is still shrink wrapped on the way home. All in all a pleasant experience and I would fly Cubana again.

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  20 July 2009 : by Bobby Giannakopoulos

Trip Rating : 6/10

YU -SNU return. A320 lease from Taca airlines instead of an Ilyushin aircraft. We chose this airline because it had decent schedules. Check-in in Montreal was normal. The legroom was really good for a 3h30 flight. Safety demo shown on video in Spanish with English subtitles, announcements onboard also made in French. Service onboard wasn't the best but it was average, however one flight attendant didn't seem to like her job. On return flight check-in in Santa Clara airport was slow and disorganized. Sure Cubana is not a great carrier like Air France or Lufthansa but it's okay.

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  15 April 2009 : by C Wigg

Trip Rating : 0/10

I had booked to fly to Cuba with Cubana in July 2008. The airline then rescheduled the flights and I was unable to travel on the new dates and so had to cancel. A year later I am still waiting to have my flight refunded. So, I can't comment on the quality of the inflight service but the customer care is dreadful. They never answer calls, emails, letters etc and it looks like I'm going to have to go to court to try and get my money back. Great shame.

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  15 April 2009 : by H Jugdev

Trip Rating : 0/10

Terrible is the only word left in my mind after a flight with Cubana, I upgraded my wife and I to Business class on the outbound flight, upon arriving at our seats there were two members of staff that begrudgingly vacated when asked. The flight had no inflight entertainment and the safety video was abandoned, why? The inbound flight was the worst! Firstly Cubana cancelled our flight opting to fly us to France, then we had to arrange our own swap of tickets before boarding. The staff were exceptionally rude; one attendant threw my wife's inflight meal at her!

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  30 March 2009 : by Louis Pelletier

Trip Rating : 8/10

I fly Cubana regularly (2 times/year) since 2003. I never encountered the delays and problems some people from Europe reported. For the food onboard I noticed that the quality out of Montreal seems superior than the one out of Habana - prices are sensibly lower than other airlines for the same quality.

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  24 December 2008 : by Angie Sparrowhawk

Trip Rating : 8/10

I flew with my husband to Cuba in October with Cubana, Business Class. The plane was old and Russian but comfortable with the most leg room we have experienced. The food was fine and catered for us as vegetarians. The staff were helpful, polite and attentive. The only criticism was the films were not good.

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  7 December 2008 : by K Mckenzie

Trip Rating : 3/10

LGW- Havana. Stopover in Holguin was difficult after an already long flight and no info given on how long we would wait on the plane before continuing to Havana. Food was minimal but no worse that usual plane food. Advice - take cards, a good book and a stash of nibbles and drinks as only two small cups of drink were offered and nothing on sale by way of food or drink. On the plus side the seats chairs reclined way back. Main down side is no individual TVs one film in Spanish on shared screen and hard to see.Plane delayed both ways- 1 hr and 3 hrs respectively.

CUBANA AIRLINES review :  3 December 2008 : by C Morison

Trip Rating : 6/10

Cubana must have sorted some problems out. Just returned from 2 week holiday to Cuba, which included internal flight - Holguin to Havana. No delays at all, newish aircraft - Ilyushin. Staff pleasant and food edible, if slightly sub-standard.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 11 October 2008 : by E Ashford

1 Star Rating

Our flight was delayed by 36 hours leaving LGW to Havana and again by 36 hours on the return flight via Paris - plus a 2.5 hour delay in Paris whilst passengers alighted and new passengers boarded. Apparently the "operational difficulties" were as a result of the flight being merged with the Paris flight. The seats were uncomfortable and service was mediocre. Do not get me started on the food from Cuba - it is terrible. It appears that Cubana have been getting away with this for quite some time.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 1 October 2008 : by M Lamburn

1 Star Rating

Avoid Cubana Airlines. We went to the airport to find out that the London Gatwick-Havana flight was delayed by over a day without notice. It appeared the plane had come via Paris and French passengers were already on board. No explanation was given, we received no compensation or hotel vouchers, nothing. Coming back the same thing. We were only told at the resort when checking out that the plane was going a day later. We had to go via Paris, where we had to stop to let French passengers get off and new ones come on board. He had to sit on the plane at Paris for over 2 hours whilst the plane was being cleaned. After over 15 hrs on the plane we finally landed at Gatwick. No explanation, apology or compensation was given. It appears Cubana is saving money on fuel by combining their Paris and London flights. Therefore our travel insurance is not paying out for the hotel stay. The service was bad too.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 18 September 2008 : by S Hughes

1 Star Rating

We arrived at airport to find flight cancelled (Havana to London due to leave 8pm) - when asked no reason was given. We were told to wait in a queue and no info was forthcoming til passengers got stroppy. They put us up in a hotel for the night (hotel was quite nice - only good point). Next day the flight left on time (11pm) but went via Paris. Flight was delayed by 75 mins in Paris and still no explanation given, no communication from flight staff - passengers getting very angry. Eventually we arrive in London after a 27 hour delayed departure and about 13 hours on the plane.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 27 August 2008 : by A Shah

1 Star Rating

We flew on Cubana to Hrvana via Holguin, check in was chaotic. The plane was very old, no inflight entertainment and food was not that great either. You have pay for any extra hard or soft drinks. The staff were very old compared to other airlines. The return on was worse. The plane had a fault and we had to wait for another plane. We were kept at the airport for over 8 hours with one sandwich and 1 drink. No toilet paper in the toilets and no inflight entertainment. Please do not book unless you have no choice.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 12 July 2008 : by D Swaine

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

London Gatwick to Havana return in business class (Club Tropical). Aircraft IL96-300. Outbound flight left 2 hours late, but arrived on time as it omitted the scheduled stop in Holgiun. Great for me as I was heading to Havana, but no doubt annoying for those going to Holguin. (It missed out Holguin also the following week, 28 June - I met people who had been on this flight.) Return flight HAV-LGW left on time and landed 20 minutes early in Gatwick. Friendly and helpful staff on the plane. Food ok but not exciting. Unlimited free drinks (in business class). Films shown were fairly recent, although the same on outbound and return flights. Toilets fine. Business class seat not as good as other airlines - only reclines about 45 degrees, but there is plenty of leg room. No use of business lounge at Gatwick, but you can use decent lounge at Havana. Taking account of the price paid I can't complain. For holiday I'd consider Cubana again. For work I'd choose Virgin. Also flew internally Havana-Holgiun return on Cubana. Approx 100 seater propeller plane. About 2 hours late each way. Offered a free sandwich and drink in airport because of delay. Cramped seating if you're 6'2" like me. On the plane they served free drinks and a small cake.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 3 June 2008 : by G Woosnam

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

Gatwick to Havana, via Holquin airport in May. We found cabin crew friendly and entertainment consisted of 2 quite recent good films. We travelled with our 2 children and they were always catered for first which means a lot. Very comfortable flight with adequate leg room, much better than some airlines we have flown with. We would fly with Cubana again.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 16 May 2008 : by J Hopkins

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

London Gatwick to Holguin with Cubana was in a newish Air Europe plane. The cabin crew was Cuban. There was no inflight entertainment on the 10 hour flight but meal was edible and staff polite. A few extra complementary drinks would have been welcomed. The return flight from Havana to London Gatwick was in a Russian Ilyushin plane. It was very worrying at first when we discovered this in the departure lounge but thank goodness the plane was new and seat configuration and arrangement of toilets at the back of the plane were good. The staff was Cuban and they were helpful. The evening meal was good and wine was offered. Even the breakfast was a lot better than some of the breakfasts we've experienced on some other scheduled flights. The most surprising aspect with Cubana was the compulsory and free shrinkwrapping of check in luggage as soon as you arrive at the airport - an excellent idea! All in all we were pleasantly surprised with Cubana.

CUBANA AIRLINES review : 10 May 2008 : by D Stelling

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

We may have been lucky - we flew to Holguin, and back from Havana and both flights were more or less on time, comfortable and uneventful. We didn't have in flight entertainment on the way out but that's often a blessing. I didn't expect extreme comfort but the crew on both trips were friendly.

1 2