Copa Airlines Passenger Reviews and Copa Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3

YOU CAN VOTE  » HERE  FOR THE AIRLINE OF THE YEAR

Copa Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by M Devoic    (Croatia)

Flying from Panama City to Lima, Peru on board of an older B737. Departure and arrival on time. Plane a little bit older, but comfortable. Staff did a great job, very polite, offered a chifa meal (combination of South American and Chinese food, very popular in Peru) that I enjoyed so much! Inflight entertainment nothing special. All in all, I have no huge complaints. I recommend it.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by R Ziegler    (Canada)

Flew Business from Vegas to Panama, Panama to Quito, Quito to Panama and Panama to Toronto ( Business Class with Air Canada after that). Despite the COPA advertising that they have new planes in the fleet and a contemporary Business Class, they were not part of our experience and when asked what route they might be flying, we were told that they only have 10 in the total fleet! The planes we flew on were tired old planes which have been well used and show it, with ill fitting lumpy seats and entertainment features that are 20 years out of date. My seat refused to stay upright and continuously slowly moved to the recline position. Meals were very bad and to top it off the menu choices on all our flights were the same! The staff were very friendly and affable and trying to do their best but the product let them down - but the flights were on time. Our conclusion is: that it is just not the quality of Business Class a customer is led to believe is available. For anyone used to flying on Air Canada, for instance, it is a considerable step down, with the only recognizable Business Class feature being the size and colour of the seats. In the future if we have a choice, COPA will not be our preference.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Dasnoit Laura    (USA)

I flew from Boston to Panama and then from Panama to Iquitos - trip back was the same pattern in reverse. I had no problems with Copa, even though I speak very little Spanish. They serve food on a 2 hour flight. Old school style! While the entertainment choices were lacking in terms of movies, it wasn't so bad. The crew was really nice and accommodating. Everyone received pillows and blankets.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Davide Greco    (Italy)

Flew two early morning flights in September: MEX-PTY and on to MIA two days later. This was my second time with this airline and I have to say I really enjoyed travelling with them: modern planes with new interiors and comfy seats, professional, friendly and smiling crew, check-in easy and quick and on time arrivals. I would have rated 9/10 but the food is still a letdown (as it was for my first trip with them back in 2013), the price of my ticket was rather high (actually more expensive then my transatlantic flight with LH) and their hub in Panama City does need some improvement in terms of decent food stores with acceptable pricing. For sure they will see me again on board.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Gary Drimmer    (USA)

If you pick up the inflight magazine you will see the modern fleet that they fly. The only problem is that you will be sitting on an older plane that has antiquated seats and entertainment. I was on 3 different planes last month, flying in their business class from Mexico to Colombia and from Colombia to the US. The movie offering on the two longer flights were Godzilla and the other one's name I can't even remember. Service and food were good, but the seats also were lacking. I will not fly COPA again unless there is no other flight available.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Ellen Hodnett    (Canada)

We flew business class on 4 flights to and from Brazil, and it was well below Air Canada's economy class in all respects except the size of the seat. The one good thing was that the flights were on time. I am a frequent flyer, I've flown with many airlines, and this was the first time I found airline food (or any other food) utterly inedible. I shudder to think what was served in the economy cabin. There was virtually no entertainment on offer, unless you count an overhead screen showing one boring movie. We flew on points, so I cannot judge value for money.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

Recently returned from 10-day business trip to Santiago, CL. Flew LAX-PTY-SCL-PTY-LAX, all in Clase Ejecutiva on 737-800s. Overall, was very pleased with Copa, their punctuality and their service. The PTY hub is easy to navigate and the Copa Club fine. While 6+ hours per segment in a 737 might seem tight, the aircraft is comfortable and the lounger biz seats are not too bad for sleeping. The meals and snacks are ample. The drink runs are frequent. The cabin crew was attentive. The IFE was OK (only 4-5 recent movies). Overall, a great experience and the UA MileagePlus bonus miles a huge benefit. Will make this my airline of choice for Central/South America.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by G Peluchette    (USA)

We flew Copa round-trip business, JFK-SCL with a change in Panama City both ways. Older 737 with no personal screen for JFK-PTY segment. Other 3 flights we newer 737-8 with ambient lighting and personal screens. Food was decent, orders were taken by crew before take off. Crew friendly, thanked us personally for flying Copa. Seats were comfy, but not lie flats. Were given passes for VIP Lounge in JFK and SCL, used Copa lounge in PTY. Flights left close to schedule, made all connections. Early arrival in SCL and JFK!

Copa Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Fernie Shiarii    (USA)

Flew to see my sister in Bogota Colombia and my route was: LAX-PTY-BOG in Copa Airlines B738NG. BOG-CTG in Copa Airlines Colombia EMB-E190. BOG-PTY-LAX in Copa Airlines B738NG. MileagePlus Member. All flights were class B on seat 18A (except E190). Very clean livery, inside and the new 738NG's are excellent with the Sky Interior that changes color according to outside and very hip with all the inflight entertainment, there is not A/C outlet, but you do have a USB so if you have the cable, then you can charge your device. The staff were very friendly and always checking to see if the passengers were comfy enough or if they needed anything else. The food was not that good, I know that airplane food is not supposed to be the most gourmet thing there is, but this "sandwich" didn't have any sauce, only a sausage on a hard hot piece of bread - not what I had in mind. Copa Club is really nice in PTY, though it's full of people, always. I found the cost of the total trip not that expensive, actually kind of low, with the whole round trip being $571. I would definitely fly again with them since they are part of Star Alliance and I am a MileagePlus member.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by G Preis    (USA)

Business class JFK-PTY. Brand new plane. Comfortable. Friendly staff, greeted us by name. Reasonable entertainment choices. On time. Their website worked well for seats and meal. No complaints.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Samantha Francis    (USA)

My husband and I flew from the Dominican Republic to Panama and again from Panama to the US. We hadn't heard of Copa before and were both a little hesitant, but we were pleasantly surprised! My husband was really sick and the flight attendants (all three) went out of their way to make sure he was as comfortable as possible. The food was good, the ride (to include landing and take off) was smooth, and we were only about ten minutes off schedule. I cannot exaggerate how good the customer service was. I would recommend this airline to anyone who asked.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Brandon Davis    (USA)

Will never fly Copa again. Mechanical error with our departure plane, which caused us to miss first day of our vacation. During delays, the staff were very rude and not forthcoming with any information about the delays. We were stuck in an airport for 7+ hours, and all they did was give us a $10 food/drink coupon! Once on our flight and in the air, the staff didn't speak English and I was actually told that there was no bottled water, hours later I saw this flight attendant carrying a whole case of Dasani water. There's no in flight wifi. Will not fly Copa again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  18 June 2014 by W Shandera    (USA)

Pleasant staff, decent food, more space than US carriers, but no advance online abilities for check-in, menu was printed with duplications and reversals and the same one handed to almost everyone in business.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by D Nguyen    (USA)

JFK-PTY-LIM and LIM-PTY-PUJ. First time used COPA airline in May 2014. Bad experience from the check in at JFK, took a very long time to check in, was bumped from exit row seats to the back rows because we don't speak Spanish. We missed a connection in LIM on a return from Cusco due to delay caused by Avianca airline. Got to check in line 30 minutes before departure time, and agent refused to check us in, he directed us to use public phone to change our flight. No help there! Very poor customer service.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by J Borschow    (Puerto Rico)

Flight 142, PTY-SJU, 4/13/2014. A partially owned subsidiary of United, manages to charge high fares while providing substandard service. I've flown COPA on half a dozen South American itineraries out of San Juan, and it is almost predictable that something untoward will happen. We are used to the indifferent personnel, inedible meals, second rate "business" lounge,  business-class seats that don't recline, and baggage that "misses" perfectly legal connections. So we should not have been surprised about our experience on our scheduled flight from Panama City to San Juan yesterday. We were denied boarding due to "overbooking" - on a coach leg of an otherwise business class itinerary (there were no business seats available when we booked). The rationale offered by the gate agent (we made the reservation more than a month ago) - you should have known when you couldn't get your seat assignments on line that you were on an overbooked flight! After considerable discussions around the unacceptability of spending a 24 hour period in Panama City, we were booked on a supposedly unavailable evening flight to San Juan. So, after an additional seven hour layover at the mundane Panama airport cum duty free strip mall, we were on our way. Oh, and the gate agent upgraded a single seat for each of two bumped couples. The trip was otherwise uneventful. The meal was, as expected, poor, both in business and economy. Bottom line, COPA was a better airline before United bought Continental. Despite convenient schedules and relatively new equipment, from a passenger experience point of view, it does not deserve a three star rating.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  10 April 2014 by R Ospelt    (USA)

My flight from LAX to Panama City went without problems. It was the experience with the return flight that was very unpleasant. I had purchased my ticket over a month ahead of my flights and had confirmed seat assignments as well as pre-ordered vegetarian meals. I checked in 2.5 hours ahead of my flight in Panama City only to be told that I had been moved to the Standby List. I was given some bizarre explanation that there was bad weather in LA and seats were restricted. After passing security I went to the counter at the gate to see what could be done, only to find out that the flight had been grossly overbooked. The agent was not willing to put me on the next outgoing flight (as normally is done automatically when a flight is cancelled or missed). I went through security at the gate and then had to stand in line again to find out if I was going on the flight I had booked or not. Interestingly enough, all the people in this line ahead of me and behind me that I talked to were tourists. I eventually made it on the flight but had to find out that my vegetarian meals had been cancelled. One of the flight attendants was nice enough to search around and did find some vegetarian food for me to eat. The staff on board were very helpful and pleasant, unfortunately the one at the gate not so much. While things do happen (flights get cancelled, re-routed, are late), being put on the Standby list for no reason at all despite having a confirmed ticket and seat and being at the airport on time is new to me. Clearly I will not fly Copa again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Kral Martin    (Slovakia)

PTY-HAV-PTY a few days ago. Copa Airlines cabin staff were a little bored. The food is better than average. On the way back (with check-in) - the ground staff in Havana was welcoming. It was nice. My bag got a plastic coverage for better protection free of charge. The food was simple but tasty. More drinks would be welcomed. This airline was better than average.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by K Tomecka    (USA)

I planned far in advance for my trip, and I checked in online. When I arrived at the airport, about 90 minutes before my flight simply to drop off my baggage, I was told that the check-in counter was already closed. I then asked the associate at the Copa desk, who was from another airline, where I could find a Copa representative at which point I was told I would need to call the customer service line. So now, I had about 65 minutes before my flight left, and there was no representative at the airport. I called the customer service line, was on hold for over 10 minutes, and then was told that since I had missed my flight, there was very little they could do for me aside from re-booking the flight for 48 hours later! They would also have to charge me the "no-show" fee because of missing my flight. Again, the flight was still not gone, I was checked in, but could not board of some company policy for international check-in that was not advertised anywhere and is still unclear to me after spending over an hour talking to four different customer representatives on the phone. I cancelled my flight and am flying with someone else.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by B Higgins    (USA)

Flew from Las Vegas, Nevada to Costa Rica with a layover in Panama City, Panama both going and returning. I got to experience their best, and their worst. Flying from the States to Central America, Copa used their most modern aircraft. Seats were comfortable, space was good, and the stewards were friendly, accommodating, and provided excellent service. Individual entertainment screens were located at each seat. Each passenger selected their own mode of entertainment (movies, music, games, or following the flight via a map). Both English and Spanish was offered. Earphones were provided when boarding the plane. Blankets and pillows were waiting on each seat. Very comfortable with a thumbs up for Copa for my 1st experience with them. Returning to the States was a nightmare. Copa used very old, outdated aircraft. They needed extensive cosmetic repairs. The flight leaving Costa Rica at least had pleasant stewards. Stewards flying from Panama to the States were not. They did not assist to keep the plane clean on a 6.5 hour flight. If garbage found its way into the aisle they stepped over it each time it was encountered. By the end of the flight the floor was overcome by trash including the bathroom floors. They spoke and understood English when it behoved them to do so. One entertainment screen existed every 3-4 seats. Three movies were shown, all in Spanish, and all without English subtitles. Earphones were passed out after the first movie started. There was not enough blankets or pillows for the number of passengers. Very uncomfortable environment for a 6.5 hour flight. Thumbs down for Copa on my last experience with them.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by R Sampson    (USA)

PTY to CTG, 2/17. Arrive at airport 2+ hours early. Unable to check-in online. Web check in had short line, other was an hour plus line. Get to the counter left waiting 20 minutes. Finally the agent returns and tells us 1 of us can fly on the direct PTY-CTG flight, but the other has to wait until the next morning or fly PTY-BOG-CTG arrive in CTG at 9pm, 8 hours later than the direct flight we had booked. Offered us 150$ voucher and a meal, which turned out was a lousy 10$ voucher which couldn't even buy a sandwich. Was given a complete run around. Requested lounge access since internet in PTY is basically non-functional. Denied. 3 hours after we arrived at the airport we gave up and went to get something to eat where we discovered the voucher for food was only for 10 dollars. Went to the Copa desk and got the run-around for another 20 minutes. Will never fly Copa again. When we got our seats on the connecting leg on Avianca to CTG we were seated on opposite sides of the plane directly in front of the exit row in non-reclinable seats. Most incompetent and infuriating customer service ever dealt with.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by L Marvin    (USA)

Traveled from Las Vegas to Guatemala this past December. For the most part the flights were right on schedule, though from Panama City to Guatemala, there was a slight delay but I suppose it was because of storms in the area. Return flights were on time. Overall we had a good experience, we were fed rather well on all flights and the crew were very attentive, they also allow you plenty of luggage on flights to and from the US (two 50lb check-ins plus a 25lb carry on). They even offer free alcoholic drinks! My only complaint is with the entertainment system. They played the same movie and same shows on all the long flights (Vegas to Panama, Panama to Vegas), and their in-plane music is very limited (about 9 channels with a rather small playlists).

Copa Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Avi Chaudhuri    (Canada)

Copa flight from Managua to San Jose was suddenly cancelled on Jan 1. No notification was given to any passengers. I managed to discover this when I went to check in online and discovered it accidentally and made other arrangements (took a flight to San Salvador at the same time instead). Unfortunately, many other people did not know this and there was a huge line at the airport - and absolutely no one at the Copa counter to help them. They are not worthy of being a Star Alliance member.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  19 December 2013 by E Rothfield    (Australia)

GIG-PTY, CM0872, 13 December 2013. My flight was cancelled (which as a traveler, I can accept), however after three hours waiting on the airplane they kicked us off, only to be met with chaos and disorganization in the terminal. No one knew what was going on. There were only three staff members working, and it took five and a half hours to sort out hotel vouchers and possible re-booking for all the customers. No information flowed from the staff. No announcements were made. It was horrific.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by R Hodgins    (Canada)

Copa's planes are clean, seats are comfortable enough, staff are friendly and food/drinks are good and free but, our return trip from Costa Rica was a disaster. The first leg was 1 hour late causing us to miss our connection in Panama City to Toronto. Copa then sent 9 of us to Miami that night and booked us on American Airlines the next morning. The flight to Miami was also an hour late leaving. They arranged for hotels but when we got to the hotel it was very low quality and the hotel agent refused to accept Copa's vouchers and asked us to pay $160 per room. We refused and returned to the airport where we spent the night freezing because the air conditioning was so high (the cold is not Copa's fault). The American Airlines flight was good but no free meal.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2013 by M Gue    (Australia)

We flew Lima to Havana via Panama and do not have any complaints. Being a nervous flier, issues about punctuality and being a new airline made me nervous. However, all four flights left on time, the flight attendants were good and the food was surprisingly decent. There was minimal in flight entertainment but this was no issue for me as I'm used to long haul flights so a short haul flight with Copa was good. I'd be happy to fly with them again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2013 by J Campos    (USA)

LIM-PTY-SJO, 737-800 J-Class. Quick check-in, boarded promptly at 4.20am for a punctual 5am departure. Flight attendants were nice, although not much of a product offering. Seats were wide, but no foot rest. Breakfast was mediocre and no amenity kit.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2013 by Carlos Marcatto    (Brazil)

Flew GRU-PTY-LAS and back in the same way. Good experience. Food, seat comfort, time, food - all was very good. No complaints. I will fly again with COPA.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Harold Bush    (UK)

Very mean airline and indifferent service. My luggage was 1 kg overweight on two flights with them and was charged for the 1 kg (around 2-3 dollars). I find this incredible. In my 30 years of regular flying I have never seem such mean attitude. Their allowance is a meagre 20 kg while most airlines anywhere is 23 kg. As for onboard service, forget about it. I took a flight from California to San Andres Island at lunchtime and we were offered a soft drink only on this almost two hour flight. Flight attendants never smiled. I now understand why both flights were less than 80% empty. Terrible!

Copa Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2013 by G van Beers    (Netherlands)

We travelled in a group of 20 from Panama City to San Jose, Costa Rica. For the first flight 11 of us were bumped, along with approx. 5 other people that we didn't know. Arranging a hotel and tickets for the flight the following day took them 6 hours. Communication was not easy as Copa employees lacked the ability of speaking proper English. The next day I noticed that lots of other people were overbooked again. On the way back home one of our group members got a standby ticket again. Fortunately this was later changed to a regular ticket. 3 of our group travelled one hour ahead of the rest of us but their flight was delayed with almost 3 hours. For this reason they nearly missed their flight to Amsterdam. Luggage wasn't transferred on time. Communication again was amateuristic.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2013 by A Sinan    (Turkey)

Flew BOG-PTY-BOS yesterday in Economy Class and I can tell you, if they weren't the only airline from South America to fly non-stop to Boston, I would have never taken them. Old and small aircraft for a 6-hour flight, bad service, no PTV or IFE, bad food, expensive, rude and unhelpful male flight attendants who barely speak English, 20 min wait at the Business Class check-in line, cramped space in aircraft's. I'm only glad for the Star Alliance miles I hope I earned. I wouldn't recommend them to anybody who has flown European and Asian airlines. Maybe good for Americans who are used to this kind of bad service.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  10 July 2013 by L Hurwitz    (USA)

Copa offered excellent service in Business Class - LAX to GIG through Panama. No upgrade on return to LAX, however, coach service was good or better than US airlines.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  8 July 2013 by Didi Mason    (USA)

Used for the first time in April and May of 2013. We flew to Panama then over to Aruba, the plane was small and a little cramped. We enjoyed the food as most airlines only give meals that are purchased. Meals were free and you got real silverware. The attendants did their job but could have smiled more and could have made us feel a little more welcome. Overall, we would rate at a 7.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2013 by J Bacallado    (Spain)

Several flights in Central America. Flights always on time, early arrival. Good connections and very easy airport to use at Panama City. At Panama Airport usually long line for Check in, but goes very fast, never waited more than 10 min. Staff very polite and helpful. Boarding by rows, nice and comfortable aircraft. Always serve snack and drinks. IFE ok.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2013 by A Macarron    (Denmark)

LIM-PTY on a tired 737-700. Flight was expensive. I managed to get the emergency exit, which made the flight quite comfortable. Happy to get a warm meal, not used to that for a similar flight in Europe anymore. Cabin crew just did their job, no smiles. I was shocked at the lack of safety checks both at takeoff and landing. The gentleman next to me had a large bag blocking the emergency exit. None of the crew members noticed, despite one FA reminding us to read the evacuation instructions, they just didn't even look. The same for seatbelts before landing. They did walk down the aisle but didn't bother to look. I've never seen this before. Finally, by the end of the flight I went to the rear toilet and took my rubbish to the galley. When I handed it to the FA, he gave me a nasty look, I should have left it on my tray and have him come pick it up. Disappointed.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2013 by A Gracia    (USA)

JFK-PTY-REC and REC-PTY. Return segment from PTY-EWR was with United. The most direct route to Recife from NYC with a Star Alliance Carrier that I could find. For business class, the tickets were comparatively cheap. All flights were on 737s which were refurbished. Continental equipment. Business cabin was the same as you would get on a domestic US flight. Seats didn't recline much, no foot rests, no in seat power, and overhead monitors. Vegetarian food options were bad, mostly soggy grilled vegetables and tiny portions. They also seem to have barely enough for the people onboard. They also seem to ration the alcohol and don't serve it very willingly. On the PTY-REC flights, they serve a snack first instead of a meal. They serve the meal 2 hrs before you land at 11 pm at night. On the flight from REC-PTY, they didn't turn on the entertainment system. Overall, the airline served a purpose, it got me to Recife from NYC in the least amount of time and with Star Alliance, but I wouldn't fly them again if I had a choice.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2013 by Art Ellis    (USA)

COPA Airlines bumped us (my wife and myself) off their 11.50 morning flight 472 from Panama City's Tocumen International Airport to LAX on January 6. Re-scheduled us to fly on their 6.40pm evening flight instead. Spent 11 hours at the airport. Given a lunch certificate and a $300 future travel certificate. Arrived at Panama City Airport 4.5 hours early for our flight. We were told at check-in that we were bumped. Copa routinely overbooks their flights. Apparently passengers who boarded our flight confirmed the flight days earlier. COPA never told us to do that. The gate crew gave us no information. Service desk staff gave us misinformation: they assured us that our luggage would be transferred to the 302 flight, and they assured us that we would get our special vegan meals. None of these things happened. COPA not being able to transfer our luggage from the earlier to the later flight meant that we had to wait for our luggage for 3 days after we got home. Our wonderful trip to Panama had this unfortunate ending.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2013 by S Guerra    (USA)

Aside from a small issue with the person doing check-in in Chicago all went perfectly. This airline was without a doubt superior to almost any US Carrier. Will use them from this point on for all Latin American and Caribbean travel. Great crews, lose the chicken sandwiches. Aside from that, on time friendly and flawless service.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2013 by D Stratton    (USA)

I flew round trip from Las Vegas to Panama and back business class. Business class was the same as most airlines economy class. The stewards and stewardess never smiled and was nowhere to be found for most of the flight. They served snacks to some people and forgot the rest. Very strange set up I must say. If they train their personal in customer service perhaps it would make for a better trip.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2013 by Greco Davide    (Italy)

First time flying with them, going from BOG to PTY on April 8th and on to MEX two days later. They have a fleet of modern B737NG with new and comfortable interiors. Nothing to complain about, the only minus was the food (ravioli) served on the 3.5 hrs flight to Mexico which was really inedible. Their hub in Panama City is a good and quite modern airport from where you can reach many destinations in Central and South America even if they should improve the immigration process which took almost an hour (about 150 persons to be checked and just 6 counters on duty).

Copa Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2013 by J Kelly    (USA)

We flew on 4 flights with COPA business class. I would only classify our flight from Rio to Panama City as true business class with leg rest and plenty of room. The other 3 flights were not even as good as most other airlines' premium economy - no leg rest and very little room to recline. The food and service were good for the most part. I would not take COPA again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  23 February 2013 by Thomas Joy    (USA)

San Jose to JFK via Panama and we were seated separately on both flights even though our reservation was made together. The customer service personnel were unable to straighten the situation out. As business class travelers who paid for excellent service, we were severely short changed in the customer service provided. As a traveler I do have a choice in my airline and I will not be choosing COPA.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  22 February 2013 by M Pires    (Brazil)

BOG to MCO, with stop in PTY. Upgraded to Business for PTY-MCO. Had applied for the upgrade via Internet, but didn't receive notice on time (24 hours before the flight) - so I had to stay with the Economy line and my boarding pass was changed at the gate. Because of that, I had no chance to try their Copa Club. Crew was attentive and spoke English very well. Food and drink (red wine) were good. Entertainment was poor on that old 737 800 - no individual screens/choices. For the flight back (MCO-PTY) I got the upgrade on time, but the United Club is located at Terminal B-Airside 3, whereas our flight departed from Terminal A-Airside 1. Amenities were worth the money and I felt well treated during the flight.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  19 February 2013 by S Flatch    (USA)

MIA-PTY, PTY-MCO. Both flights arrived early. Seats very comfortable. Service was OK - not great, but not poor. Food was OK to good. Inflight entertainment was minimal - the same movie was shown on both flights. Upon arrival at MCO, we were prevented from deplaning by MCO airport officials due to backlog of people in the immigration lines. I had a fairly tight connection, and the Copa pilot was extremely helpful in persuading MCO officials to allow me to deplane. Overall, very satisfied. I would fly Copa again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2013 by Leonard Matz    (USA)

Our fight from GRU to PTY was 3 hours late. The problem, as Copa correctly told us at least half a dozen times, was not their fault. The underlying problem was due to an airport power outage. But Copa did not deal with it well. When we landed at PTY, we could not find anyone to help us with information on our connecting flight. The business class seat on the second flight - PTY to JFK had no leg rest and barely reclined. Then they lost our luggage on the connecting flight from PTY to JFK. No Copa employee could be found in the JFK baggage arrivals area.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2013 by Linda Bankerd    (USA)

I had never heard of Copa until I purchased tickets to Costa Rica. With one exception, all went well. Generally on time, friendly efficient service. We had a rather short connection in Panama City, the plane was a little late arriving so we had to run to make the plane, not easy to find the gate as the airport was in the process of changing the signs. The luggage did not make the connection, but it was delivered to our hotel by mid morning the following day. The vegetarian request was delivered - very good food. One nice little surprise - you could get a glass of wine or a Coke!

Copa Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2013 by J Pomeroy    (USA)

Copa is not my first choice of carriers for flights to Central and South America, for several good reasons. Ground personnel are most often rude, indifferent and intolerant of individual needs. Many choose not to understand passengers who need assistance in English. I do speak Spanish, which is a good thing when checking in, because the agents will invariably try to charge you extra baggage fees for oversized or overweight baggage, and seldom back down. The airline has a horrible record for on time departures. Onboard, don't expect much in the way of amenities, the cabin is more akin to a domestic first class cabin. Seats on the 738 fleet are all leather, with a comfortable seat pitch and a comfortably wide width. However, they are old recliner type seats with only a slight recline - but even that feature is commonly in a state of disrepair. AV equipment on board is very old, with some aircraft's still featuring the overhead small TV screens every few rows. Audio choices are very limited, when they function. The upside are the inflight crews who are friendly, professional and very apologetic about the state of the cabin equipment. Food and drinks are reliably good, and the flight deck crews are just as good as the inflight crews. Business class fares are usually a fraction of what the other carriers charge, so book it only for the added bonus of extra seat space, and check your high expectations at the counter along with your bags - which may or may not arrive with you at your final destination.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2013 by Tommy Arias    (Australia)

Few days ago I traveled Copa from BOG to PTY and SCL. I was told to depart on time on this airline is like winning a lottery ticket and indeed we were almost an hour delayed in BOG. The flight from PTY to SCL was delayed but by a few minutes. The crew are excellent, they gave all they have to serve their passengers (maybe because I was flying in Business Class). In flight entertainment is awful. Overall I will give it 6/10.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2013 by Andre Franca    (Brazil)

MAO-PTY-SAL-PTY-ADZ-CTG-CLO-BOG, January, flying Embraer 190 Ejets. I notice that Copa is now a sort of low cost carrier charging legacy carrier prices! Front desk staff rude at best, not welcoming customers, chatting with each other, having you to wait until they feel like calling you. The onboard service is now almost non-existent, even on long flights you will get at most a tiny cold snack with a glass of beverage! The crew struggle to deal with non Spanish, Portuguese speakers, the seats are comfy though. I will start to look for alternatives.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2013 by Jean Helmandollar    (USA)

Dulles Airport to Panama City, then Panama City to Quito, Ecuador. On the flight from Dulles Airport no flight attendants came out for the first 2 hours to offer drinks. I got up to use the bathroom and noticed 2 flight attendants wrapped in grey blankets sitting at the back of the airplane. No volume on the TV so we could only watch the movie, no volume, no explanation, no apology. The pilot never introduced himself or his flight crew and never gave any updates on the weather. On the leg from Panama City to Ecuador the flight crew was fine. Return flight from Panama City to Dulles was a different experience. The service was above and beyond excellent. The plane was clean, the movie was audible and the flight crew was terrific. I would fly COPA again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2013 by J Borschow    (USA)

SJU-PTY-RIO, 12-20-2012. We have grown to expect the barely adequate Business seating as a price for the geographically convenient Panama City connection. On the flight to Rio, my seat did not recline and our luggage did not arrive. It is worthy of note that our flight attendant acknowledged that the seat mechanism tended to failed frequently and promised to write up the difficulties but noted the airline tended to ignore them. At the end of the day, COPA does not offer anything near a quality Business experience. If you have to fly them, fly Economy.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  28 December 2012 by S Srinivasan    (USA)

SCL-PTY in J Class on a 737. Check-in at SCL was slow due to having to argue about having overweight bag fees waived for a medical device - this was sorted without too much trouble. One issue at SCL, both with Copa and in general, is the difficulty in finding English-speaking employees, and the resulting miscommunications likely contributed to the problem. Boarding was quick, aircraft clean, and our drink and meal orders were promptly taken. Flight departed SCL and arrived PTY 10 minutes early. Service efficient and friendly. Breakfast offered before arrival at PTY wasn't great. The seating for an international business class product is somewhat lacking, more like US domestic first class, seat pitch and width was good, and certainly better than coach. Simply not what you expect in business class on a 6 hr 40 mins flight. Ground service in PTY is where Copa shined on this trip. One member of our party has trouble walking long distances, and I was concerned at the walk between our arriving gate and our onward gate for a UA flight to IAH. An employee at the Copa lounge went out of her way to make things as easy as possible for him, promptly dispatching a wheelchair to our arrival gate, taking him to a competitor airline's lounge because the elevator at Copa's lounge was broken, and then getting him to our onward gate in time for our flight. Overall, good value for the price paid.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2012 by Dario Mattielo    (Argentina)

CM 278/279 (EZE-PTY-EZE). Sep 30th - Oct 12th. 7.5 hrs flight. Seating in Economy in emergency rows (rows 18 on 738). New 737-800 Sky interiors with individual TV screen also in Economy. Plane full as always and on time as always on both legs. Emergency seats definitely have more space for a 6 ft 1 passenger like me. Decent and heated economy class food and wide availability of beverages. Nice smiley flight crew. Plane clean and new. Full lunch plus sandwich prior landing. Overall a good experience.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2012 by J Singh    (USA)

I traveled from Chicago to Recife-Brazil on Copa Airlines on 12-17-2012. They state on their website that passengers in economy class originating in the US can take two extra checked-in suitcases under 32 Kg for $175 each. She had one extra suitcase, and Copa Airlines refused to check it in because there were not allowing this for the month of December. They never updated the on-line information about luggage limitations for the month of December.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  23 November 2012 by B Servulo    (Mexico)

We flew Mexico to Panama as a connection to San Juan. Check in was fast. The food was surprisingly good. The staff is very friendly. I highly recommend Copa Airlines.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2012 by R Carvalho    (Mexico)

Flew Mexico - Panama and back in Economy Class. Travelled with an infant and requested a front row seat. Request was denied. Online check-in was not permitted for passengers travelling with infants. At Airport check-in staff were slow and after several minutes they suggested my wife and I sit on different seats. When I strongly protested with the suggestion they reassigned us so we were seated together. In flight service was poor and comparable to budget airline standards. Food was cold and not fit for consumption, the only thing was the metal cutlery which is rare these days. Flight attendants were cold and not open to requests. On the return flight I called Copa Panama to request a front row seat, I was told it was assigned, when I got to the airport I was told there was no request made and no seat assigned. Inflight entertainment on the way into Panama was not functioning. Overall a bad experience.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2012 by A McCullough    (Canada)

Flew Toronto to Panama City Direct, got a great seat-sale. Did the web check-in for way down, got row 11, and when you do the web check-in for the first leg it automatically did the web-check in for our return flight, but somehow we got row 30, not sure how that happens? We checked in at Panama City and were able to get row 32 (only row where a seat hadn't been booked). Agent gave us aisle and window and nobody booked middle seat, so we got lucky and had all 3 seats to ourselves. Service on way down was outstanding, but I think they were short-staffed on way back because service was slow, and they ran out of chicken meals (to be expected I guess when you're at the back of the bus). Blankets, pillows, drinks, meals and headphones were all provided without extra cost. Would definitely fly Copa again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2012 by Dick Mintz    (USA)

Flew Chicago - Panama City - Guayaquil on Oct 16, return on November 5. All flights on time. Employees at airport friendly and helpful. Same for FAs. Overall good experience and will use them again.

Copa Airlines Customer review :  17 October 2012 by Nanita Hilderbrandt    (USA)

October 14, 2012. The first leg of my trip was a 1.5 hr flight from Aruba to Panama City and to my surprise we had a choice of warm sandwiches, chips, cookies and beverage. The chicken sandwich was pretty good for airline food but I can't complain because my flights from LAX to Las Vegas was a beverage and peanuts or pretzels. The second leg back home to Los Angeles was over a 5 hr flight leaving Panama City about 6:40 pm. After a couple of hours flying, the beverage carts started serving drinks, followed by a hot meal, real silverware, roll and salad. Before the flight ended there were two more rounds of beverages. The seats are roomy and the planes are fairly new and clean.

1 2 3