Continental Airlines Passenger Reviews and Continental Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Continental Airlines customer review :  21 February 2011 by N Shyshkin   (Canada)

Trip Rating : 7/10

BUF-EWR-MIA First leg was nice and smooth on a DH Q400 with nice flight attendants. Newark to Miami on a 737-900 if you wanted to watch something you had to pay for it unlike JetBlue and Air Canada where it's free. Service was nice, they treated the elderly with respect having a wheelchair for each one.

Continental Airlines customer review :  11 February 2011 by Tim Powell   (Spain)

Trip Rating : 8/10

MAD-EWR-DFW return. Reasonable economy class service on B757 MAD-EWR and upgraded to F on the domestic 737 which is excellent product. IFE on the transatlantic works well and a good selection of entertainment. Continental could do a better job with announcements, no reference or apology made for the 2 hour delay out of Madrid, even though it was obvious that the cause was weather conditions in New York. The breakfast on the return is inadequate, a croissant with jam - thats it.

Continental Airlines customer review :  9 February 2011 by A Telman   (Kazakhstan)

Trip Rating : 8/10

IAH-MSY-IAH economy. Both flights on time. Very short flights so only water and refreshments on offer but crew worked very efficiently. They did not charge for the bags on the return flight and I had two bags to check in with total of about 12kg overweight!

Continental Airlines customer review :  8 February 2011 by Joe Spinazola   (USA)

Trip Rating : 0/10

Continental flight from Ixtapa, Mexico to Houston cancelled Feb,2011. No other flights for 4 days on Continental. Continually lied to by Continental personnel in Mexico about available alternate flights on American Airlines, which we eventually booked ourselves for next morning. A feud between AA and Continental about booking software means Continental will not offer AA flights as an alternate. Told to sleep on floor in Ixtapa airport for 4 days! Offered no food vouchers, no ground transport vouchers. Brutally bad service and treatment by this foul and primitive airline. Don't fly it, you'll be sorry.

Continental Airlines customer review :  22 January 2011 by A Bower   (UK)

Trip Rating : 7/10

MAN-EWR-MAN - ten years since I flew Continental, and its not as good as I remember. Check in at Manchester was OK, but a bit slow. 757 was comfortable and good seat pitch. IFE was good. Cabin crew average, we were served Chicken or Beef on a 9am flight, then cabin crew disappeared after drinks service. Also had to pay for alcoholic drinks which I thought was poor for long haul. Had to call cabin crew for water during flight. Seems they serve for an hour, have five hours off, then serve a snack 1hr before landing. Same on return leg. Food was average. No hot towels in the morning for overnight return leg Check in at EWR was quite efficient, although no one spoke, just directed to a check in machine, and did everything else myself. Seems to be becoming a no frills airline, but without the no frills price !

Continental Airlines customer review :  22 January 2011 by Cynthia Nodell   (USA)

Trip Rating : 4/10

Three weeks ago we booked seats for my elderly parents to Florida from Las Vegas. We had to call an agent so they could sit together on the second leg to Ft. Myers. The only seats available together were extra legroom seats so I paid the extra cost. When we checked seat assignments today (thank goodness) we found that they had charged for extra legroom on the first leg of the trip but the seat assignment was in the economy seats, and that they did not have a seat assignment on the second leg! We called Continental and they were totally unhelpful, even though it was clearly their error. We ended up paying another extra 40$ so my parents can sit together, because they gave us no other choice. Next time we will get them to Florida on Jet Blue. I will not use Continental again.

Continental Airlines customer review :  20 January 2011 by Nathan Yu   (USA)

Trip Rating : 4/10

NRT-EWR. Food was tasty, but modest in portion. AVOD decent, touch screen, on-demand with a decent selection. Cocktails cost $7.00, so budget accordingly. Seat pitch is horrible - a very uncomfortable 12+ hour trip. Flight attendants a mixed bag, but typical of US carriers. How US carriers manage to survive against their Asian competitors is beyond me, my trip back to Asia in March is on Singapore Airlines.

Continental Airlines customer review :  14 January 2011 by James Wallace   (USA)

Trip Rating : 6/10

If you enjoy flying from the West Coast to the East Coast of the United States with the Fasten Seat belt sign on all of the time, this is your airline. Flying from LAX to Houston was a very smooth flight and the flight attendants were efficient bring beverages by several times. After reaching cruising range (about 25 minutes) the pilot announced that he would be keeping the fasten seatbelt sign on and he never turned it off. Houston to Orlando saw major turbulence but the flight attendants stayed on their feet servicing the passengers - even when requested to sit down by the pilot. In short, service is excellent but I felt like I was treated like a little kid.

Continental Airlines customer review :  14 January 2011 by P Rosemann   (USA)

Trip Rating : 5/10

FRA-IAH. A mixed experience. My flight had been booked through Lufthansa, Continental's code share partner - as a result, the check-in at Frankfurt took 30 minutes as my reservation was difficult to locate. Because Continental's plane arrived late in Frankfurt, we lost our takeoff slot, so that our departure was delayed by about 2.5 hours. Disingenuously, a flight attendant blamed the delay on German inefficiency! Plane was only half full, so I had two seats for myself - good, as there was no audio in one of the seats. Food quite poor; I would honestly say, barely edible. There were no hot towels or free drinks. When we arrived, I had missed my connecting flight, and had to stand in a long line to wait for my rebooking. Continental did offer everyone hotel and meal vouchers. Bottom line: a bearable experience. I'm not sure I would book Continental again between the US and Europe.

Continental Airlines customer review :  14 January 2011 by J Sabaduquia   (USA)

Trip Rating : 9/10

MNL-GUM-HNL-IAH-EWR, flights to GUM and HNL operated by Continental Micronesia. All flights on-time, friendly flight attendants and food above average. PTVs in each seats except for the MNL-GUM leg.

Continental Airlines customer review :  14 January 2011 by Steffen Frey   (Germany)

Trip Rating : 7/10

EWR-MIA B737-500. Flight arrived on time, clean and updated cabin. FAs did a very good job, friendly and offered two rounds of drinks. Unfortunately, Continental doesn't serve any complimentary food anymore on domestic flights and on this nearly 3.5 hours flight nothing else than crisps and peanuts could be purchased for breakfast. Self check-in in Newark quite inefficient as it requires a staff member to pick up the luggage in the end and takes longer than the normal procedure like in Europe.

Continental Airlines customer review :  11 January 2011 by P Young   (UK)

Trip Rating : 1/10

Boeing 757 Newark-Manchester. Extremely poor check-in process, our party of 4 persons arrived at Newark Airport 2hrs 40mins before our flight to discover the only seats available were 11F, 12A, 16B & 16E. Having booked our tickets together, we expected to be seated at least next to our partners! Upon arrival at the terminal we were advised by Continental representatives that we should have pre-booked our seats online 24hrs prior to the flight should we have wished to be seated next to our partners? Interestingly, Continental had 5 seats available together with extra leg room for an additional $109.00 each - upon enquiry I was advised that even though the flight was fully checked-in, it is Continentals policy not to release these seats unless the upgrade price is paid! Boarding the aircraft I made a further request to the cabin crew to be seated next to my partner in the empty seats which was flatly refused. Only later in the flight when I asked a senior member of the cabin crew to confirm Continentals seating policy in writing was I advised that if I sat in the empty seats with my partner they would not ask me to move back! The seats in question were extra leg room emergency exit seats over the wing. I noted the emergency seating row in front was occupied by a teenager sleeping across all three seats and wondered if it was company policy to allow this? Other than my seating problems, the flight was good and economy seats had plenty of leg room - just don't expect Continental staff to be helpful and assist with seating requests, apparently it is company policy not to upgrade customers into empty seats even if this means you will be seated away from your partner & next to strangers.

Continental Airlines customer review :  10 January 2011 by N Beckwith   (USA)

Trip Rating : 3/10

I travel across the country every week (4 trips a month on Continental). As a result, I am a Platinum member. Before the United/Continental merger, being Elite status was beneficial due to my upgrades to first class. However, now that the merger has begun, I am no longer upgraded. I am trying to figure out why it is beneficial to be Platinum/Elite on Continental these days. Very few perks - so I am considering starting to build my mileage on a different airline since being a Platinum is irrelevant to Continental since the United/CO merger. On my last trip, I sat in the exit row (oh yea, that's a perk-I don't have to pay to be available to save lives in the event of an emergency) with 2 other Platinum members - all of us have decided there is no longer a need to have an allegiance to Continental - no upgrades and no real perks to speak of for the allegiance of spending our money to fly this airline. I have experienced United airlines and Continental patrons are in for a very rough go of i. This complete disregard for upgrading Platinum members is just the beginning. When I was Silver and Gold, I was upgraded close to 100% of the time - no longer! The United/Continental merger is a disaster for Continental passengers who enjoyed the perks and usually passable service to its elite members.

Continental Airlines customer review :  9 January 2011 by Pat Thrace   (Canada)

Trip Rating : 5/10

IAH–LGA on a relatively modern 737-800. FAs were quite polite and hospitable. Even though this is a 2.5/3 hour flight, and we got onboard was a dinner-snack. They served sandwiches, which were the size of my hand - I literally got four bites out of the entire thing. I was not impressed by the quality of service exhibited by Continental, and if you have a choice of carriage, I would suggest taking another.

Continental Airlines customer review :  7 January 2011 by Thomas Troegel   (USA)

Trip Rating : 1/10

My wife and I recently travelled on Continental - the worst service ever. We were never told that our plane would not come nor be late. We checked the website on our own, and it said that they were waiting on crew to fly the plane to Houston. When a plane (not our original one) finally arrived, the reason stated now was weather. The plane was loaded and we had to wait for 40 minutes for refuelling. We missed our connection to Denver by 10 minutes. We were put on standby for the next morning and finally got to Denver 12 hours late. We were not given compensation for missing our connection. Coming home not much better. When we got to Houston we were waiting at the gate noted on our tickets, and listed on the monitors. All of a sudden we realized our flight was not listed any more. We had to look for an attendant to ask and were told we had been moved to another gate in another terminal. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Continental Airlines customer review :  4 January 2011 by D Scott   (USA)

Trip Rating : 5/10

SFO-EWR-LHR. B739 with extremely cramped seats, DirecTV was quite good considering the 5 hour flight, FA's kind. As the FA's were distributing the meals, they came to our row and announced they had just sold all the meals. Inexcusable! Connection at Newark fine, boarded freezing cold B757 to London. Legroom not as good as I remembered, quite uncomfortable at first and then after the person in front of me fully reclined his seat, there was literally no room for my legs For breakfast, offered a nice hot croissant and very bland melon salad. Continental can definitely improve, but it get's you from A to B.

Continental Airlines customer review :  4 January 2011 by Kelly Smith   (USA)

Trip Rating : 0/10

We flew Continental for our honeymoon to Antigua. Original flight scheduled depart Cleveland December 18 at 0630 with quick layover in Newark, to arrive Antigua 1430. We were approximately 2 hours late for whatever reason, but that wasn't the worst. We were scheduled to leave Antigua flying into Newark with a layover for night then home December 28. Due to the east coast storm our flight leaving Antigua was cancelled. Understandable and thank you for looking out for our safety. However, having to pay $1400 to be on hold with Continental for 5 hours only to be told that we couldn't get on a plane departing Antigua until January 4 was unacceptable. After hearing that we would be required to spend another $3500 for accomodation in Antigua to stay another 8 days plus miss work with unpaid leave I began looking for another airline. American Airlines had opened seats so we chose to pay $1200 to fly home on December 29 rather than spend so much just waiting for Continental to be able to get us home - to our surprise Continental was selling tickets to new passengers and was able to get new passengers on a flight out the following day from when ours was cancelled, but they were making us stay another 8 days to be able to use our original ticket.

Continental Airlines customer review :  3 January 2011 by H Bunes   (Sweden)

Trip Rating : 9/10

Booked ARN-EWR on 27 Dec in BusinessFirst. Due to East Coast storm, was able to get brother + his girlfriend transferred from cancelled LH flights (ARN-DUS-EWR) onto same flight despite their tickets being on LH Award flights. BusinessFirst seat excellent, issues with in-flight entertainment system, finally they gave up. Food excellent, and staff ranged from good to excellent. The real issue was the flight diverting to CLE as EWR still closed. Diversion handled well, and landed in CLE. Enjoyed the small US INS and Custom station. Whilst it was madness in the President's Club with multiple flights diverted, staff was brilliant, managed to work the crowd nicely. By 6pm local time, it was clear that EWR would not clear in time for us to get out, and we were given hotels and food. Flew the following day, and into NYC 24 hour late. I have no complaints regarding the situation as staff did go the extra mile.