Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Damon Goodman-Anders    (UK)

LHR-HKG-LHR in Premium Economy class. No pre boarding for PE class passengers, once onboard offered pre take-off drinks which included champagne on both flights. Excellent meals, both flights offered Dinner and Breakfast and snacks were available during the flights. The seat is fairly comfortable and I'm 6ft 1in and found the legroom more than ample, in fact on both flights I managed over 8 hours sleep. Lots of choices with entertainment, movies, TV during the flight. I would recommend Cathay Premium Economy, Good value, excellent Service, I think people who write negative reviews about this class are expecting business class but need to remember this is not!

HKG-Bali-HKG in Economy class on 777 (old shell seats). Flight time from HK to Bali changed twice prior to departure from 10.30am to 22.40hrs the evening before. Flight out only about 100 people on board so had plenty of room to spread out, return flight full. Crew very attentive on both legs, meal good and entertainment excellent Only complaint is the 'Shell Seats', I know Cathay are phasing these out and I can understand why, these are not comfortable in the slightest and this flight was only 4.5hrs so I would dread to think what it would be like on a Long haul flight. Legroom for Economy was actually quite good, at 6ft 1in I had no problems evening when I reclined the seat (which slides forward to the seat in front).

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Kevin Towle    (China)

My wife and I flew PVG-HKG-KUL and back between the 28/9 and 6/10 on a variety of aeroplanes, B744, A773, 2 x A333 respectively. We found the website excellent to use (although had problems with payment) and it was great to be able to reserve seats at the time of booking. Check-in was perfectly adequate too. Sadly Cathay's planes are looking a bit ropey: the ones we had must have had an average age of about 17 years so the in-flight entertainment was poor (about six looping channels) and the whole cabin seemed tired. The cabin crew were very professional, but some of the food was iffy. We found it poor that Cathay did not use a jetway to board passengers on the HKG - PVG flight. 300 people on shuttle buses is ridiculous. Overall, they were alright, better than the other Chinese airlines, but nowhere near Malaysian, Singapore or Korean airlines.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 October 2013 by F Maccarthy    (UK)

LHR-HK-Guangzhou return. Smooth flight, friendly staff, superb service overall.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Turino Fuad    (USA)

Recently flown from SFO to HKG and returning flight from HKG to SFO on CX 873 and 872 respectively. I have flown this route many times on their business class. The recent experience confirmed the complaints that I have heard from my peers. CX has definitely moved to cost cutting affecting their most profitability section - the business class customers. During the inflight drink service, the flight crews normally present the drink and a small plate of warm almonds, On both trips, they only offered the drinks and I would have to request for those warm almonds. Selection of food has reduced from 3 to 2. Amenities like salt and pepper that came in the beautiful shakers are removed completely. Upon asking, you are presented with salt and pepper in small plastic container.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Yolanda Makotsvana    (Singapore)

Dismal service on almost all 4 flights during a 2 week period. Singapore - Hong Kong business class with a 16 month old infant - the baby food meal was served after the adults were served so despite my requests my child got his food after 30min of smelling and observing everyone else eating - the meal was suitable for 3 month olds so of course he was tired and no longer interested. Hong Kong - Johannesburg: Cathay lounge personnel were very unhelpful, I requested assistance from the lounge to boarding gate and was told I could get assistance an hour before boarding but not after that as they would be "too busy", so what do I pay a business class ticket for? The inflight meal for my son was served cold! By the time it was warmed up my son was asleep! Johannesburg - Hong Kong, despite my carrying a child no one was there or offered to put my hand luggage away for me, the meal for my child was once again cold, I asked for an extra pillow it never came and staff just seemed to be 'short staffed' or too busy to care. Flight was delayed an hour resulting in my missing my connecting flight to Singapore. Hong Kong - Singapore: 3 hours and a very unhappy toddler later we boarded for Singapore. I had to put my bags away myself and had baby food not fit for my child. The inflight manager did try and offered a kids meal pasta dish and made regular attempts to make sure we were all right. I have flown many times before with all 3 of my children with Singapore Airlines and received far better service in business class. I pay a business class fare expecting a business class service. This was nowhere near the case with Cathay. Extremely disappointing - I cannot in good conscience recommend this airline on these legs to anyone and am very disappointed as I had previously held Cathay Pacific is such high esteem.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  17 October 2013 by Peter Nauli    (Indonesia)

Me, my wife and our 8 month old baby girl recently flew from Jakarta to Hong Kong. It was an Airbus 330 from Jakarta and Boeing 777 coming back from HK, both flights were an excellent experience for all of us. From the starting point at Jakarta airport, we found the level of service of Cathay staff are very helpful, Cleanliness of the plane and toilet and positive attitude of the staff are the reasons I believe I will travel with this airline again in future and will definitely recommend it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 October 2013 by Toni Griffiths    (Australia)

I flew SYD - Hong Kong - Paris return and each time, found the flight to be excellent. Airbus A330-777 - clean, modern planes, friendly efficient service, flights on time, nice food. Let's remember, this is a plane, not a 5 star restaurant. Given that there are 300 people in a fairly restricted space, what else can you expect. Yes, we did have the old 'shell' style seats for one of the legs which weren't that comfy, but overall, I would highly recommend Cathay to anyone. Friends flew Air China and met us at our destination, now there's an airline you need to avoid like the plague, we arrived fresh and happy, they were 6 hours delayed, awful food and no entertainment.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 October 2013 by L Young    (Australia)

My first time flying from Melbourne-Hong Kong on 22 Sep 13 / Hong Kong - Melbourne 4 Oct 13: Paid for the flight 7 months ahead of travel and was told I cannot select my seat until 48 Hrs before flight because it was a special fare. 48 Hrs prior to flying I checked in online hoping to select my seat. Turns out there was no option in seat selection because majority was already allocated and no one can change it - including Cathay Pacific staff. Purchasing special fares from all other airlines 7 months ahead would have given me the option to select my seat ahead of time and not leave me fretting about seats on my return flight. I can understand if this special fare was a last minute sale for seats that did not sell and very close to expiry - but 7 months ahead? My family ended up not being seated together for the return trip back to Melbourne because I was unable to check-in online. My travel agent did not know this rule existed with Cathay Pacific's special fares and was unable to help at all, regardless of all the additional requests in our booking to seat us together and the choice of aisle or window seats. If I was told about this before payment I would have chosen another airline to fly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 October 2013 by B Pavis    (New Zealand)

AKL-HKG and return. A340 both ways. Have not flown this route or airline for many years but had very good memories of past flights, sadly this appeared to be a different airline altogether. Boarding was rather disorganised, seemed to be totally at random. Crew seemed very eager to serve lunch after 1.30pm takeoff, rapidly cleared trays, ordered window shutters closed, then disappeared for rest of flight. Only way to get a drink was to go to end of the aircraft and ask for one. No mid flight water or service was offered. Inflight movie selection was very dated and certainly not current. Old style corded remote. Could put up with all of the above but could not tolerate the seats, the worst seat I have ever used in my entire life, tolerable for 1-2 hours, then agony, fortunately, seat back did not recline into your face, but strange cushion arrangement which allows the seat cushion to move forward, leaving no lower back support and a terrible slouching position. Totally useless, had to ram pillows and blankets behind my back for some meagre support. If I had known how bad this would be I would certainly not have flown this airline. Fortunately I had an aisle seat and could easily get up and walk a little. Meals were usual economy fare, just barely edible but nothing to rave about. Return flight from HKG started with a circus, HK locals, with seats all over the economy section, boarded early and just grabbed seats in pairs, regardless of seat numbers on their tickets. I had booked an aisle seat in row 32, 6 months ago, and boarded almost last on the plane, my seat was long taken by someone whose seat was way back, this rippled all the way through the front of economy and ended with 6 pax stranded at the front of economy with their seats taken, cabin crew refused to move anyone and told us to just get seats that were left. Ended up in a window seat which I had tried so hard to avoid. Cabin crew couldn't seem to care less. Not a great experience all round and then 11 hours with that seat again, never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  8 October 2013 by B Cleary    (USA)

20 Sep 13, ORD-HKG, 777-300 ER. This is usually my route of choice to Hong Kong. CX uses the SAS lounge at O'Hare. Can get a bit cramped, but the offerings are fine. Premium Economy was fine as always. Cheerful FA, food ample and tasty. Good selection of AVOD. On time departure with an early arrival in Hong Kong.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 October 2013 by N Siotto    (UAE)

DXB-MNL via Hong Kong and back in Business Class. At Dubai airport the business class in T1 is the one of British Airways which I repute average. All four routes were served by an A330. I have flown business class with the new herringbone seating configuration. Excellent comfort and good privacy, maybe not as good for keeping an eye on the window for those seating next to it, but those saying you can't I must disagree, I was still able to get a nice view. During the night flights I skipped the meals but must say even on a day flight as short as two hours the meal was good standard. Inflight system is very good and the screen is really wide, with a nice selection of movies. The cabin crew was simply magnificent. Another very positive remark is the cabin temperature. Most airlines keep the inflight climate freezing cold while in all flights with CX the cabin temperature was simply perfect. In conclusion, I booked this flight attracted by a low fare but the value for money is outstanding to say the least. Look forward to travel again hopefully soon with Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 October 2013 by Charles Hamilton    (UK)

I flew business from LHR to HKG and HKG to Melbourne. Boeing 747-400 on LHR to HKG leg was a little long in the tooth but service and food were excellent on both flights. Given the price would definitely recommend and fly with CX again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 October 2013 by A King    (Australia)

Flew Heathrow to Melbourne. It was a pretty terrible experience all round. First flight to HKG was a 747-400. The seats were bizarre, they did not recline but the seat slid forward a little bit, and the support for the bottom of your back is rock hard. Terrible pockets on the seat in front mean if you put anything more than a newspaper in there, the seat pocket is touching your knees. Also, as with all Cathay flights I've been on there was no personal air conditioning control. Food as always was terrible - 2 meals on a 12 hour flight, both of which were not nice at all. Breakfast choice always seems to be an egg based dish or seafood congee. I'd rather just have cereal next time. The dinner is always a choice of an oversalted Asian dish, a vegetarian pasta dish or something else unappetising. Having already flown the opposite route we luckily knew to take snacks on board so we didn't starve. With Qantas / Emirates I usually end up feeling almost overfed, not with Cathay though where you feel like you're in prison. With 2 or 3 hours before landing when breakfast was about to be served my girlfriend noticed that a child on the seat in front had been sick, which had trickled between the seats and gone all over her tracksuit pants which were on the floor in front. We tried to get the cabin crews assistance but they continually ignored us. We ended up just putting them in a bag and then throwing them away. Never again! I'd rather pay an extra $300 to fly Qantas / Emirates than fly with Cathay again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 October 2013 by V Johnson    (Australia)

I travelled from Mumbai to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Sydney. The ticketing/seating on the leg from Hong Kong to Sydney was horrendous! So many people were affected by the poor organisation of the airline. There was a huge bank of people at the desk trying to get seats changed because they could not sit with people they had booked with. Then on the plane itself, people were swapping all over the place. I'm only complaining about seating, which when you are unable to sit with your friend or relative on a long trip, who cares about the rest?

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Edward Poole    (Australia)

Flew Premium Economy from HK to London, in my opinion it is not worth the extra and does not live up to the promise of better food choices and wines etc. One choice of wine, not a choice of several meals but just two. For toilets you have to go back to economy and wait in a queue. Seats were good but not several hundred dollars worth of good. Staff on this flight were good. We got caught up in the Tropical Cyclone Usagi debacle, little information and a useless website. For an airline that says that customer service is a priority, it has let itself down badly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Louis Lin    (Australia)

Flew from Sydney to Hong Kong - very disappointed. The seat is comfortable, but the service was quite poor. Some cabin crews were rude with no smile. The catering was disappointing and the portion was quite small. Won't fly this airline again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by P Elliott    (New Zealand)

Flew AKL to Heathrow via Hong Kong and return. Flew in 3 different aircraft types. Really excellent staff and food. Very nice seat comfort especially 777ER with a space for everything. Had read negative comments about the coffin class on A340-300 but actually found them quite good. A little disappointed in film selection but most of the flights were at night so didn't matter too much. Very happy to recommend business class with Cathay Pacific and would fly with them again.

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.