Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 December 2013 by James Gerwin    (USA)

Flew LAX-HKG return in Nov 2013 in Premium Economy. Good value for money. Seats were reasonably comfortable with adequate leg room. An inflatable seat cushion made my bottom more comfortable. FA's were friendly and attentive. Food was decent for airplane food. A/V was excellent, with high quality screens and a huge program menu. Would certainly recommend CX for transpacific trips. Only complaint would be that there are not enough toilets on this 777 aircraft.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  6 December 2013 by E Walsh    (USA)

HKG-JFK, 25 Nov 2013. Business, 777-300ER. Very comfortable pods with lie-flat seats that promote comfortable sleeping conditions. Extremely attentive staff anxious to serve. Decent food, very good wine and, I believe, 4 hot towels during the roughly 15 hour flight. Compared to Korean Air's business class on A380, where the entire upper deck is for business, the cabin seemed a bit more confined (and, frankly, comparable to Korean's 777 business class) but a very good experience. Plenty of storage, very clean restrooms (frequently serviced during the flight), good video system and excellent headphones. Certainly an expensive alternative to Premium Economy but clearly a step above.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  6 December 2013 by E Walsh    (USA)

JFK-HKG, 17 Nov 2013. Premium Economy on 777-300ER featured not only more legroom and more deeply reclining seats but a wider arm rest between seats resulting in a sense of not crowding the passenger next to me (or vice versa!). Odd that dinner would be served at approximately 2.00 am when all I wanted to do was sleep. All-in-all a pleasant, if lengthy trip and because of a small subsection of the cabin reserved for this class it provided a feeling of relative seclusion. Very attentive staff. Avoid bulkhead seats as people walking down the left aisle using restroom on right side of aircraft must walk across the outstretched legs of passenger reclining there.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 December 2013 by Lee Cheng Jun    (Singapore)

Flew from Singapore to Taipei via Hong Kong recently. The departing flight was as usual, the new 777-300 regional economy class seats are good with touchscreen VOD but not much selection. Not many complains for this leg except for the fact that there is an irritating pack of stuff on the left hand side of the seat belt. For the return flight from Taipei to Singapore, I was surprised that they upgraded the plane from an A340 to a 777-300ER. I loved the seats. I was also surprised that they serve a box of food followed by a packet of oolong tea. The VOD selections for this flight is not much, only a selection of music and television programs. Flight from Hong Kong to Singapore was a horrible flight. The boarding procedures for economy class were unbearable, I was forced to put my carry on luggage 4 rows behind my seat as the flight was fully loaded and people brought lots and lots of shopping bags onboard the flight. Flight CX735 was delayed 50 mins. The flight attendants were very kind and always offered to help passengers.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 December 2013 by W Teoh    (UK)

In recent years I have noticed massive improvements in the service of CX flight, ground staff and reservations etc. I now attempt to use HK as my transit point to anywhere Asia. My most frequent route being LHR-HKG-PEN return so that allows me to test both long haul and regional the same time. Long haul depending on which flight, the old configuration on the 747-400 is still very comfortable especially when travelling solo but not great when travelling in pairs or if you like looking out the windows. I always like sitting on the upper deck. The new configuration on the 777-300ER are by far the best business class seats I have ever experience. You can have great view outside or in pairs, the middle seats allow both privacy or dining together depending what you enjoy. Extremely comfortable travel all round with great food and service. They clearly take service very seriously as majority of flights I have been on with CX, I was asked if I would like to do a detailed written survey. It's extensive but something I am always happy to do. It's clear that consistently over the years the scores are moving more and more positive from my point of view. I used to dread the long journeys but now, I look forward to them when I know I am travelling Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 December 2013 by N Gaastra    (Philippines)

Flying for the second time this year with Cathay Pacific (Economy) and it's not as good as it used to be before. I was not able to reserve a seat online for my flight from MNL to AMS. I called the HQ in Manila and they advised me to come to the airport on time, so I could reserve my seat (I wanted to upgrade to premium or business). Arriving at Manila International I found out that I was not able to upgrade in any way. From Manila to Hong Kong the flight was ok, we had a new airplane and the seats were comfortable. Though we only got a cheap snack, even though our flight was at 8pm and people were hungry. From Hong Kong to Amsterdam the flight was delayed and we had to move from Gate 69 to Gate 31. Finally we got to board our flight to Amsterdam, only to find out that we were using an old airplane again. For some reason they use old airplanes to Amsterdam all the time lately. Same with routes from Hong Kong to Rome I was told by a stewardess. But flights from Hong Kong to Milan do have new airplanes. All in all, super uncomfortable chairs and again I got back pain during the flight. Really the worst I have experienced with intercontinental flights. On another note: big difference in treatment between business and economy. I mean, yes business class and first class do have the right to be treated a bit different since they paid for it. But I haven't experienced a nice service from the crew, unlike I am used to when flying other airlines. It would be nice if Cathay can have a look at this. For now I will choose another airline next time going to my home country.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by Hugh Forward    (USA)

JFK to SIN. Cathay is nothing but consistent, the cabin crew remain above average as long as you express your needs all the time. They will not come to your seat to ask what you need, even turning down the bed. The ground crew are just awful, to pay a premium fare to get abused like this almost leaves you in tears. The icing on the cake are the personnel at Asia miles I must have come within a whisker of having a heart attack. They are brutally bad. I think that Cathay ground crew must be looking up to BA and Qantas for inspiration. From now on I am going to try Qatar, the extra couple of extra hours have to be worth it!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by A Nelson    (Canada)

Flew HKG-DPS-HKG. First time in Cathay economy (usually a Star Alliance customer). Shocked at the lack of cleanliness on the plane. My seat was stained and had crumbs, there was gum stuck to the seat frame in front of me as well as had jagged metal sticking out which kept grazing my skin, and the blanket distributed had long hairs (not mine) all over it. Crumbs were all over the floor. Was disappointed with the poor food served, the lack of water, and the atrocious IFE. Had to repeatedly ask for the right headphones (not standard, old fashioned) as I was given the wrong ones for the outlet.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by D Swarts    (USA)

I honestly cannot say a bad thing about my experience, and my experience was exactly the opposite of many of the reviews I read. I found the Cathay Pacific staff at the airports and on board the aircraft to be friendly and eager to help. I even requested to try to get on an earlier return flight on stand by, and my elite status and the staff made this happen. My seats in the Economy cabin of my B777-300ER aircraft were comfortable for my 15-hour outbound flight and my 12-hour return flight. The food was fine, but if you want to eat first I suggest ordering one of the many speciality meals. And there were several snacks available in between scheduled meal times, but I only knew about this by doing my research. The highlight of the trip was the seat-back on-demand entertainment (I watched a total of nine recent feature movies and several popular cable TV shows I've never seen before). And the USB charging port and the very handy small storage area just below the TV screen were also very nice to have. I wish I had these seats and amenities on every aircraft I fly on all year. Also, the new International terminal at LAX is great with lots of seating with powerports at the gate. All in all, it was a good experience and based upon my experience I recommend Cathay Pacific highly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 December 2013 by A Riguccini    (Australia)

Cathay is gradually deteriorating in standards. After many flights and years of experience I find that flights out of Hong Kong and Bangkok are always delayed, awaiting Finnair or other partners, by periods of over an hour. This adds 2 to 3 extra hours to a flight, a panic transfer at Hong Kong, to Australia. The apologies are insincere and automated. The crew are always too busy accommodating infants and business class, to respond to requests. Seats have become less comfortable, head sets are cheap and ill fitting, flights full and cramped, drink selection more restricted. This might make the airline meet its budget but the overall experience for travellers is very taxing. I will search for alternatives.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 November 2013 by A Burke    (Australia)

Flew KUL to HKG, A330 in Nov 2013 in business class. This aircraft fitted with the regional interior. Despite this being the old seat design it was reasonably comfortable for a flight of <4 hours. However the ancient in flight entertainment system was not only limited in options and hard to navigate, (regularly crashing and not 'on demand') but the physical hardware poorly maintained. The screen (rises out of arm rest) fell and knocked half my meal off the table. Crew were not interested in either the problem or the result. Worst IFE system I have used in over a decade. Food. For those like me requiring a special meal (vegetarian) my entree was brought out as seafood with the message "we know you requested one but we didn't have vegetarian entree." Then the main meal (this time actual vegetarian) was served in economy style foil container rather than plated up like rest of business class. Conversely the quality of good was good and the beverages of a high standard. Dispassionate, cold customer service throughout the flight a long way short of previous business class trips on Cathay. The service standard would be disappointing in economy, let alone business. Very limited English speaking and English announcements at the gate and onboard generally skipped. Captains announcements were very timely and informative. Great selection of newspapers and in flight magazine "Discovery" was full of good HK tips. Aircraft clearly showing its age with lots of rattles and squeaks. Business class toilets too small & generally inaccessible as catering trolleys block the aisles for most of the flight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Roger Stone    (Australia)

BNE-HKG-LHR-HKG-BNE (with side travel to China on Dragonair on the way). Good, usual Cathay service in Premium Economy, I have found to be remarkably consistent over recent years (I tend to travel on Cathay to somewhere of other about once a month). Premium Economy is excellent if the smallish PE cabin is not full, otherwise it can become rather claustrophobic. Cathay Pacific lounges are always first rate, in my opinion - great for working or eating. Inflight food also seems to be improving. Only hassles I have is on very long sectors where I seem to have become the target of inconsiderate fellow passengers - getting kicked in the back every 20 minutes all the way from London to Hong Kong overnight is not much fun, maybe a function of the seat pitch in PE. One can always pray for an upgrade!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 November 2013 by M Sha    (Singapore)

NKG-HKG-SFO-HKG-NKG round trip, very cheap price compared to Singapore Airlines, China Eastern and Air China (obviously much better service compared to those two Chinese airlines). One A321 and A330 between NKG and HKG and one B747 and B777 between HKG and SFO, nice food and friendly staff, though I was told there was no blanket for me for the last trip from HKG to NKG - luckily it was only a two hour flight. Leg space provided is excellent for B747 flight but less satisfactory for the B777 (especially for a 12 hour flight).

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 November 2013 by C Kay    (UK)

LHR-HKG-LHR Both flights on time. The business class seat is very comfortable and the features, particularly storage, are well thought out. Service on both sectors took a while to get going, and the pork main course on the first sector was tough and chewy. No problem with the rest of the menu though. Entertainment options are fine, but nowhere near as good as the likes of Emirates.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 November 2013 by H Burn    (UK)

Flew Heathrow-Hong Kong-Perth, economy class. Had brilliant fights all round, will be flying with them again next year.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 November 2013 by D Scott    (UK)

We travelled recently to Sydney Australia and also did internal flights with their sister company although long haul is never easy we cannot fault Cathay Pacific for there care and help as my husband cannot walk great distances and on all flights they had arranged wheelchair assistance and helped us as much as they could which made our journey much more pleasurable. Drinks were offered on a regular basis, food was quite good for plane food and the staff were courteous and efficient. The only thing I would say if they could have a larger plane for the flights between Hong Kong and Sydney this would improve the long haul experience, but I would still recommend this airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by B Brown    (UK)

LHR-HKG-BNE-CNS-HKG-LHR. First time with Cathay. It's a shame they don't do a hot towel service. Leg room was not great (I'm 6ft 5) and my knees touched the seat pocket in front. Fortunately on all legs except one I had an empty seat next to me so I was fine. B777-300ER LHR-HKG and A330-300 HKG-BNE. Both modern planes with comfortable seats with adjustable headrests. Service was very good, with one touch of the call button an attendant was with me within 30 sec and my requests for drinks/snacks were met with a courteous smile. I enjoyed the cup noodles as a snack. Regular water runs through the cabin. Food was fine and there was plenty of it. Entertainment was varied with several full series of tv shows as well as a wide selection of movies which was welcomed on these long flights. There is also a usb socket for charging your phone etc. If you have an iPod you can plug that in, however you'll need the correct plug shame it's not compatible with android etc. Air conditioning was cranked up on all legs so a jumper is definitely needed or you'll freeze!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by A Wong    (Canada)

I have been on 6 flights in the past two years: two on the YYZ-HKG flight, one on the JFK-HKG flight, one on the HKG-KIX flight, one on the NRT-HKG flight and finally, on the HKG-ORD flight. All flights were consistently top- notch and very accommodating. Whenever I called for a steward/stewardess, they were speedy and efficient. Food is good, although there was less hot foods. Overall, I would highly suggest Cathay Pacific to anyone, especially for long-haul transpacific flights.

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.