Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 June 2014 by J Smith    (Hong Kong)

Flight from HKG-DPS return, business class both ways. HKG-DPS older 777, seats went out with the arc. hardly any choice on the IFE. Trip only saved by the friendly and efficient staff. Return leg, changed aircraft to 747. Uncomfortable seating. headphones did not work. Staff offered me a change of seat, but was a baby right in front of new seat so politely declined.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Yong Mak    (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong-Bangkok-Hong Kong, outbound flight CX705 was half empty. Services were standard. However, there was no inflight entertainment system. The inbound flight CX616 was cancelled without prior notice even though I already provided the airline with my full contact details, including email, when I bought the ticket online. Check-in staff said the flight was cancelled because the airplane didn't arrive from Hong Kong last night due to operational issues. If so, the airline should have had sufficient time to notice passengers. I was transferred to another flight 3hrs later. The flight was packed. The services were standard as per usual. Again, there was no inflight entertainment system.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Chris Cunard    (Australia)

Wonderful experience aboard Cathay Pacific. Had to fly to London and back in 72 hours so needed to be comfortable. Long haul business class beds on Cathay Pacific are the most comfortable I've flown and I managed to comfortably sleep 7.5 hours on the long haul flights. The staff are amazing. They all remember passengers by name throughout the flight. Studio CX IFE was great. The food, delicious and plentiful. A perfect experience.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 June 2014 by S Howell    (Australia)

We flew BNE-LHR via HKG on 29th May. Really excellent product, seats are much more comfortable than Economy and it is much easier to sleep. First meal is business class quality and second is economy - all round the food and cabin service was excellent. Priority boarding also in Brisbane and Hong Kong was appreciated. The small cabin made for 2 very quiet flights. Thank you Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 June 2014 by L Perrin    (Australia)

JFK-HKG-SYD. No mention at the boarding gate for Premium Economy guests to board before Economy. Had a champagne prior to take off which was an improvement over our previous flight on Virgin Atlantic. The cabin service was friendly and attentive. The food was very poor, the worst I have had to be honest, not even Economy standard. The seats were wide, but the old bugbear when the seat in front reclines fully is still a problem in Premium Economy, it is very intrusive and you need the passenger next to you to climb out if you want to get past them. We got more sleep than previous flights in Economy, but it is still a fairly uncomfortable experience. The noise-cancelling headphones were a great feature and you could actually hear and enjoy the comprehensive entertainment selection. The cabin noise was quiet having only 38 passengers and a dedicated toilet was a good feature on the JFK-HGK leg, but we had to use the Economy toilets for the second leg (different aircraft). This was our first experience in Premium Economy and while it was a slight step up from Economy, I do not think it is worth the extra money. Apart from the entertainment selection and wider seats, it felt more like an Economy experience than Premium Economy to be honest. We would fly Economy next time, have stopovers and avoid flying a 14 hour leg if we could, as you do not arrive at your destination feeling particularly refreshed.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Rajagopalan Raghavachari    (India)

My wife and I (both seniors) were in Premium Economy Class (Seats 31H and 31K) on flight CX879 from SFO to HKG (with connection to BLR) on 12th September 2013. During our onward flight from HKG to SFO in March 2013, we had felt very cramped in Economy Class and so we got our tickets upgraded for our return journey in September. Little did we know at that time what a wise decision that was. After the flight CX879 took off on 12th September 2013, the elderly passenger in front of us took ill. The flight was diverted to Anchorage in order to offload the passenger and then we landed at Taipei for crew change. Finally, after being in the aircraft for 20 hours, we landed at HKG on 14th morning, very tired. We had of course missed the connecting flight. We were afraid that there would be a crowd and big confusion at the transfer counter. We thought we might have to spend long hours at the airport. We were in for a delightful surprise. We found a long table arranged with all the new boarding passes, envelopes with hotel coupons and cash for meals, also instructions for transport to hotel. We could not believe our eyes. We were accommodated at J W Marriott, where we could take good rest and take the BLR flight on 14th night. We should also add that the 20-hour flight was made bearable because we were in Premium Economy. One complaint: On that long flight no clear announcements were made about our landing time, arrangements made for connecting flights, etc. Because of my good experience with CP last year, I am again travelling BLR-HKG-SFO on July 22, 2014 by Premium Economy. Even though the price was high for me, I still decided to pay extra for the comfort.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Phil Scott    (Australia)

Cairns - Hong Kong return. My seat, tray table and screen had dirt on it and a repulsive odour. Flight attendant didn't care but did give me a towelette. Food was poor. Return night flight had dreadful service, no hot beverages at all. Limited choices of others. The FA walked through a couple of times only with a couple of drinks on a tray and did his best to ignore everyone. The in-flight announcements in English were incomprehensible. These planes did not have any personal airjets and were uncomfortably warm.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Vivien Simon    (Australia)

I am a fan of Cathay Pacific. They seem to me to be the most consistent in cabin service, wherever you embark. Mostly I have travelled Business Class, but have also travelled Economy on one occasion. I like a clean cabin and clean wash room facilities. Cathay Pacific seem to ensure that this is the case. The crew provide efficient, helpful and pleasant service. Our last flight was LHR-HKG, then HKG-MEL in May 2014. I like the flat beds on the Cathay Pacific 777. To me they seem longer than other airlines flat beds. LHR-HKG we were given Billecart Salmon champagne, and very nice it was too. On the HKG to MEL leg, it was Deutz. Not quite as nice as the Billecart. Food varied from good to excellent. The array of entertainment options was comprehensive.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  26 May 2014 by A Raath    (South Africa)

On flight CX 749 from Hong Kong to Johannesburg Wednesday 23 April 2014 my friend became ill and went into a semi coma. The staff were brilliant and two staff were excellent for the efficient way in which they dealt with the person. Thank you for all the support! to get your act together because passengers that get up at 4:00am for an early flight expect to arrive on time.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 May 2014 by Brian Wilson    (Australia)

ADL-LHR via HKG. Check-in at ADL quick and easy, well organised. Unnecessary delay with boarding process resulted in 20 mins late take-off. Stacked at Hong Kong landed 30mins late. Onward flight to LHR already closed so rebooked on later flight at 23:30. Given a hotel voucher but this didn't compensate for losing my previously selected aisle seat and having to then travel overnight to LHR arriving 05:45 am instead of 20:30pm the previous evening. Aircraft, meals and cabin service could not be faulted and Premium Economy definitely recommended on longer journeys, just a great shame that ADL to LHR schedule obviously does not allow enough time for flight transfer at Hong Kong, so don't expect to fly straight through. Cathay Pacific you need to get your act together because passengers that get up at 4:00am for an early flight expect to arrive on time.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 May 2014 by L Massari    (Australia)

Melbourne-Rome return. First leg of flight fantastic service great, stop in Hong Kong of 6 hrs, a bit of a drag, second half much better due to larger seats, but service great all the way. My travel friend had difficulties walking and was offered wheelchair assistance for all the flights - they were wonderful and friendly putting her and myself at ease. Flights home even better. Thank you to all the staff who helped us have a great holiday.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 May 2014 by M Richardson    (UK)

Heathrow to Denpasar (Bali) transiting in Hong Kong. Overall a very positive experience especially for the money (585 pounds return which is exceptional value). The choice of entertainment isn't as extensive as on Emirates or SIA but was adequate with several of the latest movies offered. Service was friendly and prompt. Food and beverages were hit and miss but having apples, nuts and noodles available between meals was a nice touch. I'm 6"3 but found the seat comfortable enough for a long flight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 May 2014 by K Ryan    (Hong Kong)

Vancouver to Hong Kong. Flight was pretty uneventful other than three infants on board which didn't stop crying, but that's not the airline's fault. FAs were very attentive and went through the cabin with a tray full of cooked cup noodles and offered them to anyone that wants one midflight. Very good IFE with some of the most recent movies available.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Steve Fraser    (Australia)

Perth to Hong Kong in business class, the first time that I have used Cathay Pacific. The seats are very comfortable with power recline and are able to lay flat if you need to sleep. These pod seats are fairly private and the food and cabin crew are outstanding. The food included fresh fruit, croissants, salmon, Kung po chicken and various other delights. A choice of beverages was extensive.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 May 2014 by I Martin    (New Zealand)

I was very disappointed with our flight from Rome to Hong Kong (flight CX292) on 7 May 2014. My son was travel sick and the flight crew were very unhelpful. Also service of water and snacks during the night was very poor. I had to ask for water and when I asked for assistance with my son none was given.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Howard Wong    (Canada)

I flew on CX 889 from Vancouver to Hong Kong, and found that the seats are too cramped and very uncomfortable. It was a Boeing 777-300ER plane and the seats were badly modified to make them closer to each other probably to accommodate more passengers. After the flight, I couldn't walk as my legs became swollen due the cramped seating positions. My previous flights with Cathay Pacific weren't like this at all, the seats were less congested and there were more leg room. On other recent flights like CX 2710 from Colombo to Singapore, it was the same plane model Boeing 777-300ER, yet the seats and leg rooms are adequate. (5hrs flight journey). Hope that Cathay can make amends on the seats for the flights to and from Vancouver.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by S Nicola    (UAE)

Dubai to Tokyo Haneda via Hong Kong. Price wise from Dubai, Cathay is the best value for money to fly anywhere in Asia and given the fact that the first experiment went well, I didn't hesitate to go for the next one. I was right again. Cathay is outstanding value for money to travel in Asia from Dubai. The first leg from Dubai to Hong Kong was flown on a 330-300, fairly new, with the newest business class which is equivalent to first class in terms of comfort. Fully flat lie beds, with a huge monitor, plentiful of entertainment and nice environment. Service on- board is excellent. Service is prompt and flight assistants were excellent. The second leg was flown by an older 747, with an old seat configuration, it can still convert into an 180 degrees bed but in my opinion it's not as comfortable for a 6 foot tall passenger, even worse if the person is robust. In my case it was more than comfortable and the trip lasts between 3.5 and 4 hours. With a vast variety of lounges the waiting time at HK airport is no issue. Overall a wonderful experience and with these fares I'd only opt for Cathay for my Asian trips.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 May 2014 by C Chua    (Malaysia)

I flew to and from KL-HK-KL. Flight was delayed 2 hours ex-KLIA. Cabin was very hot both ways. Food is below average. Inflight entertainment is below par. At both airports, check in took a while even though it was only to drop off the bag. All in, the experience was average. I have had better experiences in other airlines.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 May 2014 by M Coleman    (Thailand)

DOH-HKG, Airbus 330-300. Business Class. It is many years since I was a Diamond member of Cathay, this is my first flight with them for nearly 15 years. Although the service was good, they have gone downhill since my last journey. The seats are a strange design almost coffin like, the food is pretty average as is the wine choice. No sleepwear like Qatar. The juice is carton, not fresh. Overall although a safe trip not worth the money they charge.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 May 2014 by Julian Jansz    (Australia)

Last year I flew from Sydney to Hong Kong, the flight was delayed 2 hours which wasn't too bad. Onboard the flight the food was good for an economy class ticket, the seats where comfortable and the entertainment was excellent. The flight attendants were very nice, pleasant and helpful. Overall the flight was good and pleasant and I would recommend that anyone who's deciding on an airline to fly on should consider flying Cathay Pacific Airways.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Johnny Lim    (Singapore)

My flight from SIN-HKG was terrible. There was no food and no in-flight entertainment system. Flight was delayed by 24 hours.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Seran Karunaharan    (Canada)

My family and I just flew from YYZ-HKG-KUL in February, 2014. I must say it was a very long flight from YYZ-HKG. The check-in was very smooth and we got the boarding passes for both our sectors right at YYZ. The flight was wonderful. The IFE, the meals, the flight crew were all top notch. The cabin crew were very friendly and caring. Their service was exceptional. There were enough snacks made available to the passengers throughout the flight. The seating was okay. The kids really enjoyed the IFE contents. The transit at HKG was pretty quick and our next flight from HKG-KUL was excellent as well. Overall, were had a wonderful flight on both sectors. Thanks to the wonderful crew of Cathay Pacific for making our flight an enjoyable one and I would definitely be flying with them again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Anna Kelly    (New Zealand)

Flew from CDG to HKG and HKG to AKL return. The service was excellent. I had swollen legs from the first flight and a customer service rep helped me get a visa in to Hong Kong so I could see a doctor and then got me extra legroom on the next flight. Flight attendants checked on me every 20 minutes or so and got me extra blankets and water as needed. I was very taken care of and they went the extra mile. Overall, all 4 flights were great: on time, with good food and excellent entertainment. Seats weren't great- the life vest thing is in the seatbelt - but it's economy class. The bathrooms were cleaned often so were sparkling. Overall, 4 excellent flights and I would happily take them again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 May 2014 by Landingin Mark    (Philippines)

BAH-MNL, delivered a superb service. Cabin crew always friendly and approachable. Inflight entertainment excellent, only downside of this particular trip for me was the food as I am not a fan of duck and salmon. This was my 7th time flying with them, 8th next month, and I cant think of any reason why I wont fly with them for the 9th, 10th and so on.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 April 2014 by S White    (UK)

HKG-LHR, 25th April 2014, CX253. The first time I have flown with Cathay Pacific and it won't be the last. Excellent service throughout. Flew outward premium economy and flew back with business class. Aircraft was clean and tidy but the cabin crew were the stars of the show very attentive and pleasant without being too enthusiastic if you know what I mean. The food was excellent in both in premium economy and business class but business class certainly has the edge with the comfort and privacy. My wife doesn't normally sleep well when travelling in aircraft however the fully reclining seat was a great bonus which allowed her to get a few hours of good sleep. In comparison with other airlines I have travelled with, the service that Cathay Pacific provides gives it that little bit extra. We can all say the seats are hard or the food needs a little bit extra but at the end of the day it is the staff who can make or break a journey and for me the staff certainly made it for me.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Achmad Nashruddin    (Singapore)

Flew SIN-HKG-KIX return on A340, B747 and B777 all in Y. Seats on the 340 and 747 were comfortable enough but seat pitch on 777 (regional version) was very tight, especially after the person in front of me fully-reclined his seat. Crew on all flights friendly and many smiles. But HKG-SIN 777 flight was a red-eye and they served only a snack box with sandwich and juice box, leaving me famished for the 3.5 hours.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 April 2014 by Gerard Nicolas    (USA)

EWR-HKG in Premium Economy and HKG-EWR in business (thanks to an unexpected upgrade). Had a great experience in both classes, attentive but not too present service, new airplanes, clean, friendly, on time, good connections in HKG (although I found their inter-connection with their subsidiary Dragonair not optimal), classy. Would definitely fly them again. Premium Economy product was good and definitely worth it on a 16hrs flight. While meals are close to those of economy if not the same, the cabin, quietness and space are enough to make this worth it. Business class was one of the best I've been in, with attentive and not over-present service, classy and providing you with the options you need when you want them for a pleasant and relaxing flight. Cathay definitely carried the magic of Hong Kong on their flights. Business class seating and bed is very good, roomy and comfortable. A very good experience.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 April 2014 by Fran Constable    (Australia)

Flew Business/Premium from Perth, Australia to LHR and return. Cannot fault the crew on all 4 flights - they were very pleasant and efficient. Food and service in Business was very good and above average in Premium Economy. Ground/check-in staff at LHR very helpful with flight changes. The seats in Premium weren't the most comfortable, but there was plenty of legroom which is always a problem for me being quite tall. I'll certainly fly Cathay again, especially whilst their fares remain so competitive.

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.