Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Ed Pua    (Australia)

Flew SYD-HKG-PEK in December, on time, no delay and back to SYD on February which was delayed by 30 minutes. Food was good. Seat comfortable and inflight entertainment was ok.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Jacob Choi    (Hong Kong)

HKG-MXP (CX233). The plane was only 70% full, nevertheless the crew did an excellent job for the 12.30 flight. The level of attention and service for economy is astounding, considering that they offered Godiva chocolates and Haggen Dazs ice cream. The IFE was superb, with touch screen being very responsive.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  17 February 2014 by RJ Sladewski    (USA)

CX880, HKG-LAX, 15 Feb 2014, First Class, Seat 1A, 777. Fantastic service started with FA's personally greeting me and introducing themselves, indicative of the personal level of service that prevailed. Only 3 of 6 seats occupied in first, and the other 2 pax slept most of the time. Excellent food, caviar, a very large steak (I ate less than 1/2), Haagen Das ice cream. Spacious seat, comfy for sleeping even without the mattress. Didn't even watch the IFE, just caught up on reading. 1A/2A more private than the "K" side.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  17 February 2014 by J Huang    (Australia)

Flew in Business from Brisbane to Hong Kong and return. Check-in both ways was efficient and friendly. Qantas business lounge in Brisbane was not very good with limited selection of food, and unfortunately did not have a chance to sample CX's many lounges in HK. On board the flight, staff were friendly and efficient - especially the customer service managers on both flights. Service from other staff varied, and whilst efficient, some were not very proactive (though this is a very minor complaint). Food was of excellent quality and portions plentiful. I particularly liked the Cathay signature drinks offered on the menu. The business seat is fantastic and well appointed. IFE was good, however the movie selections were a little limited for my preferences.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Patt Tav    (Thailand)

CX708 and CX709, 17-19 Jan 2014. My friend and I booked our flight specifically with confirmation that we would have flown with the new business class seat on Boeing 747. Upon check in, we were told that we were to fly on an Airbus 330. We boarded the plane and I was in shock. The seats were exactly the same as 10 years ago but older due to aging. The seats were old and ugly with a width of other '5-star' airlines premium economy class and recline of their economy! Lights were flickering during take off. My seat was broken and could not upright to 90 degrees for take off and landing. I was told at least 3 times by a steward to adjust my seat upright before he accepted the fact that my seat was broken. I was not offered another seat as the flight was fully booked. Personal TV screen was even smaller than my Samsung Galaxy phone with broken, green and flickering display. When I tried to ask if there was power socket to charge my phone I was told that there wasn't one available! I tried to sleep but I could not because the seat was so uncomfortable with almost economy class recline. Instead of flying a bigger, newer plane to replace reduced flight, they decided to fly the oldest of the oldest. We were greeted with at least 5 idle Boeing 747 upon our arrival in Hong Kong. My flight back was the same plane type with the same discomfort, but with a worse selection of food. The flight was not the cheapest but the most uncomfortable of all the choices I have.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Clive V Drake    (UK)

HKG-KUL - one way. My wife and I are touring the Far East and this one way trip of 4 hours with CP was very good indeed. The plane was newish and the seats as good as International BA Club World. Its sort of odd in the recline as the whole thing seems to go up - vertically. But very comfortable when you get the hang of it. Food very tasty - had smoked salmon and Asian Chicken followed by fruit. All good. Drinks all chilled. FAs on the mark - friendly and efficient. Was it worth the 1,000 each - actually I thought it was. The lounge was a odd experience - good food and booze etc - but weird plastic seats and tables that looked like a local HK bog standard eating house. All in all though a good flight and I would recommend the airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 February 2014 by B Becker    (USA)

Recently flew from Okinawa Japan to Sydney Australia round-trip (used Dragon Air to go from Hong Kong and Okinawa). One recommendation is try to avoid flying during the Chinese New Year which is very busy, we flew January 19th and return flight was Feb. 4th and both flights were full. Our return flight was on a Tuesday (from Sydney to Hong Kong) and was absolutely chaotic and full. I found the Flight Attendants to be very helpful and extremely nice (compared to US Carriers). Our 2 yo daughter was screaming/crying and they were very attentive. Tried to upgrade to Economy Plus but not available. Economy is not going to be comfortable on any airline you choose (9 hr flight from Hong Kong to Sydney). Plan on little to no sleep on if in Economy with the seating. Most flights are red eyes to and from Hong Kong and Sydney. Food was ok and they do feed you no matter the time. We were annoyed as we flew back from Sydney as they fed us at 11pm, we were hoping they would darken the cabin to help our daughter sleep, no such luck. Inflight entertainment system was great. I would recommend Cathay Pacific but try to upgrade to Premium Economy if you can and again avoid flying 2 weeks before and after Chinese New Year if going through Hong Kong because it will be busy!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Nag Gautam Prasad    (India)

Myself and my wife visit Melbourne, Australia to see our children almost every 2 years. We by choice travel Singapore Airlines. This time, for a change we travelled Cathay Pacifc from Kolkata, India, via Hong Kong. We boarded flight CX 105, scheduled on 19th Dec 2013 which actually took off from Hong Kong in the early hours of 20th Dec 2013. When dinner was served, my wife asked for an extra bun. She was told that there was no extra bun available. I asked for red wine, when I was waiting for a second serving, by the time the hostess came to me after serving others seated ahead of me, she poured into my glass whatever little left in bottle and said sorry!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 February 2014 by Kwai Cindy    (Hong Kong)

CX549, HND-HKG booked in Premium Economy class upgrade to Business Class. Very nice long-haul Business Class seat. I have a single seat window and aisle. Welcome drink, nice greeting with meal menu. The food need to improve in Business Class. Taste is worst than before. Cabin Crew are friendly. Once again, the flight arrived 20mins early into HKG.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 February 2014 by Casper Yap    (USA)

KUL-HKG. Found things pleasant. New plane with responsive staff. Used FF, so paid a small fee to cover taxes.

JFK-HKG. Took the same flight last year. Newer plane with acceptable seat. Flight 99% full. Biggest issue is timing of meals. Flight left at 2pm, first meal started before 4pm and second/last meal at 10pm. No further meals for next 8 hours. some snack available but not enough to keep the belly occupied. Will not fly this flight again. Return flight was more standard, with both meals spaced properly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 February 2014 by M Whitmore    (UK)

Business Class LHR to AKL. LHR to Hong Kong leg was with Cathay and the HK to AKL leg provided by Air NZ as code share. On the whole, Cathay was superior, with the exception of the food, which was excellent on Air NZ. Cathay business class seating provided excellent space and storage, and the configuration 1x2x1 with each seat angled away from the aisle ensured privacy. This contrasted with Air NZ which had less storage and not as much privacy as seats have lower screens and are angled towards each other. The Air NZ lie flat bed with mattress was comfortable but requiring the crew to make up the bed was an irritation. The inflight entertainment was far superior on Cathay Pacific. The Air NZ controls were very dated and the screen was small compared to other airlines. Overall, service from flight crew was very good with both airlines. Disappointing that a lounge pass was not provided at check-in because of the codeshare status and I was instructed to use the Air NZ lounge at Hong Kong but on arrival discovered Air NZ shares the Thai lounge which was disappointing to say the least. Codeshare also meant that I couldn't check in on line for the non Cathay legs. I chose the code share flight combination as it offered the opportunity to experience two different business class services. Next time I would select flights only from Cathay pacific as Air NZ was disappointing. I understand that the Hong Kong to AKL route is provided by older fleet and it felt like it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Mansfield Chu    (Singapore)

We travelled on Business Class from Singapore to Colombo. Tickets were booked on expedia. There were some confusion over the name on the boarding pass and passport. Staff at check-in assured us that it had been changed after an argument but found out that it had not. Departure from Singapore was delayed an hour. Now departure from Colombo has also been delayed for an hour. Staff at check-in should be less surly. The airline should maintain a level of punctuality.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Serge Grynkewich    (Philippines)

Cathay's cabins on regional flights were in need of a re-do and a clean up. Cathay has rolled out a new "regional business class" seat that has partially addressed the upgrade, but has totally ignored passenger comfort in the seat. First, the seat is hard. On a short sector, Manila/Hong Kong, I found the seat uncomfortably hard and actually found my back aching. How can they have padded the seat so sparsely? Secondly, the seat does offer some recline and an opportunity to snooze, although not quite enough especially if one is tall. I'm short, 5'8", and my feet were bumping the apparatus in front of me that housed the next seats. Truly, 2" more of leg room would have been very good and one wonders why Cathay made the pitch so tight. Thirdly, the seat has no foot rest - a true failing. How did this happen? In all, Cathay's service is good and attentive but the seat in the new regional business class needs a respectable amount of padding, 2" more pitch, and a place to rest one's feet when reclined!

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.