Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by J Mason    (Australia)

Flew from Melbourne to HK then on to London. Back to HK from London. We have a 3 year old and found that only one of our flights was good for her. The staff didn't bother to give her the children's pack or smaller headphones although we were aware that they were available. When we asked for a snack for her they offered peanuts or mentoes hard sweets-both unsuitable for her. On the HK to London flight our attendant was great but all other flights we felt that we were being a nuisance if we asked for anything and even when they said they'd bring us something they didn't get around to it! This was simple requests like an orange juice, or an extra bread roll. Our attendant from London to HK was very young and maybe just inexperienced. She was quite unfriendly. Personally I wish we had booked Singapore Airlines, but the difference in price was significant. Two of our flights were delayed, one by 90 minutes. Not ideal for connecting flights. They did allow our car seat on for free and it was bagged and handled carefully.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Earl Geoffrey    (New Zealand)

I flew Cathay Pacific on three sectors. Auckland - Hong Kong, Hong Kong - London and Paris - Hong Kong. All flights were a wonderful experience particularly the two flights to and from Europe on the 777 - 300. Even the flight from Auckland on the ageing Airbus 340 was enjoyable. Comfortable seats, good food and wine and friendly and professional staff. The airline certainly deserves its high rating and I would be happy to fly with them again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Greg Karlovsky    (Australia)

We have recently done an Evergreen Tour which was fantastic, but we had to pay for our flights in October and pay for them. Come to the actual tour we could not book seats until 48 hrs before hand. So I stayed up until 11.55pm 48hrs before we flew and there were no seats left - how can that be! On the way home I checked in 48hrs and actual was able to get seats from San Francisco to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Perth, go to get our boarding pass and find out my husband and I aren't even together and yet when looking around behind us the middle four seats people had used them to sleep on because they weren't taken same goes for the two seats, The air hostess didn't seem to even care or help us. After experiencing this because of the length of the flights I doubt very much that we will fly with Cathay again. Those hostesses couldn't get us fed quick enough. They left out on a bench nuts and a drink if we needed it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Jeremy Chan    (Hong Kong)

CX 506, HKG to KIX on a 25-year-old B747-400. Everything except the landing was very smooth despite bad weather at HKG. The shell seat was a bit cramped but was acceptable for a 3.5 hour flight. Cabin crew was fine, although not outstanding. Flight meal was a bit below expectation. Incredible in-flight entertainment providing a wide selection of Western movies and local movies. Flight arrived 30 minutes late. CX 569, KIX to HKG on a new 0.7 year-old B777-300ER. Again flight crew and flight meal were not as good as expected for the best airline in the world, otherwise very comfortable seats, great management of the flight and again very impressive in-flight entertainment. Flight departed 10 minutes early and arrived more than 30 minutes early which was impressive. Overall I had a feeling that the good standard of Cathay Pacific's catering and cabin services is a bit inconsistent although they are generally stronger than other airlines.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2014 by C Hung    (Hong Kong)

I generally found there was little value for my money when I flew from HKG to YVR besides the highly capable and friendly air hostess who came rather quickly once the call button was pressed. Credit goes to Cathay for their well-trained and attentive staff. The egg omelette was bland and cold, which made it made it fairly unappetizing. The dinner was edible. They had one selection of wine for the six passengers in first class and a different selection of wine available to business class. This basically begs the obvious, how much wine could six people drink in 12 hours. My main complaint with the window seats of their newly reconfigured business class is that one could not even look out of the window. It is utterly self-defeating to call these window seats. Unfortunately, it doesn't help that their business class seats make one feel like one is lying in a coffin when one adjusts the seat to the flatbed position. As for their dysfunctional armrests, I find myself sitting in a chair with my left arm higher than my right arm for 11 plus hours. I could rest my left arm comfortably when I am properly seated, but I could not find the expected corresponding position for the right armrest. The selection of movies was forgettable for a long flight like HKG to YVR. The television shows available were equally lousy. Lastly, the noodle bar closes at 23.00 hours at their business class lounge called the Pier. This meant anyone who had a flight after midnight had a very limited selection of refreshments at the business lounge. Altogether, Cathay needs to either improve the quality of their food and entertainment or start cutting their business class fare.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Kwai Cindy    (Hong Kong)

HKG-CTS Sapporo 747-400. Check in counter is smooth and fast. AVOD is excellent. Cabin Crew friendly. The fixed shell seats are just ok for day flight or less than 3 hrs. The food taste are not good as before. On time arrival and the bags came before I arrived to the baggage lane.

Sapporo - Hong Kong 747-400. AVOD has a lot of latest movies and TV shows. The cabin crew serve drinks after take-off. After that, they serve dinner. The food is so-so. I arrived Hong Kong 10 mins ahead of schedule. I had to wait 20 mins for my baggage but HKIA is always slow to send baggage.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2014 by R Gonzaga    (Malaysia)

CX790, KUL to HKG and CX826 to Toronto. Premium economy seats all the way. The seats are comfy and have great legroom but still feel cramped when the seat in front reclines. On the first leg, KUL-HKG, there was no drink service before takeoff or a hot towel in sight, something Cathay hypes about in their commercials for premium economy. I was disappointed with the meal service as although we were served economy class meals, the portions were tiny for a 14.5 hour flight. Staff were great, pleasant and courteous and it was always service with a smile. They weren't around much after the meal service but did respond to calls. Personally, I do not think these seats are great value for money due to the inadequate meal service and the general similar cramped feeling of economy. The seat mechanism was difficult to work and my seat would not go upright without the help of a steward who said that they were having problems with the premium economy seat recline mechanism.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Tapani Utunen    (Finland)

BKK-HKG on a busy Saturday afternoon in July on an ageing A330-300. The plane looked and felt old and the shell- type seats are not my favourites - but on a full flight they guaranteed a little more privacy and leg room. The flight was on time but otherwise very ordinary really and the staff had to run on this full flight to finish the meal service on time. Moreover, the white wine they serve on their short flights is awful and always warm. A very hectic and chaotic experience with a very hard-working staff.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Lau Ni    (Singapore)

SIN-HKG-SIN on CX650 and CX635 on 25/28 July 2014. Both flights had good on-time departure and arrived on time. For both flights, were supposed to experience new CX Business Class seats but alas, both flights had a last-minute swap of aircraft's. Not only we had to take regional business class seats twice, CX also did not bother to allocate two pax in the same PNR to sit together. Food was okay - better than OZ Business but not as good as SQ Business. IFE and service was good - the earphones were more comfortable than SQ Business. Overall a good experience, though I would have given 1 or 2 more stars if not for the equipment change.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 August 2014 by T Alvin    (Hong Kong)

Flights were really nice. Premium Economy seats were plush and service was excellent (on one leg - kind of standard on the outbound). Food was generally good but comparable to Economy. Given the similar price point I'd go with CX Y+ over SQ Y. For the regular traveler I'd go with CX Y+ anytime. Too bad the price point is HK$8000+. I'd choose CX Y if not on miles.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Allen Kari    (Australia)

22 July we flew Dragonair to connect with Cathay 0135 from Hong Kong to Melbourne. We missed our connection and began a 48 hour ordeal exacerbated by poor customer service, a lost bag, airline transfers that left us sandwiched between babies and high school kids on Thai Airways into Sydney with a seven hour wait before we boarded a flight into Adelaide. All together this was a horrible trip. Cathay has promised to be in touch, but we're home four days and nothing. Let's face it - an airline is about what happens both in the air and on the ground. Disappointing.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by C Lewin    (Australia)

CX100, 7th July, CX233, 8th July and CX292, 21st July, CX139, 22 July. All Business Class. Have travelled with CP several times in the past and the service this time was at its usual high standard. However, the food served on the two legs - SYD-HKG, HKG - Milan and return was extremely poor. Most meals I chose to refuse after one taste. Extremely disappointing!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by R Singletary    (USA)

Went ORD-HKG-NRT and HND-HKG-ORD. Inflight service was good with very attentive staff and they actually went out of the way to help me with my carry-on luggage. In-flight entertainment system was very good and easy to navigate.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Bill Ryan    (New Zealand)

Flew Business Class Auckland-Hong Kong-London return. Very good service on all flights. Lounges good with food and service excellent. I usually fly with AirNZ which is my favourite airline. Cathay every bit as good and special fare extremely reasonable.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Chen Chevy    (USA)

CX841 from New York JFK to HKG. Flight used a fairly new 777-300ER. There was priority boarding for first, business, premium economy, then the passengers at the rear rows of the economy class cabin. Because of my seat being at the very rear of the cabin, seat 67A, I was able to board earlier than some. Cabin Crew were very friendly and responsive. The food was pretty good, I had the fish option which consisted of Baked Salmon with black pepper sauce, lima beans and carrots, and spinach mashed potatoes. On the side was a warm bun with butter and a chicken salad. There was also a haagen-dazz ice cream for dessert. As this was a 16 hour flight, we were offered a second meal, in which I got the chicken with rice option that came with a peach yoghurt cake topped with honey toasted oatmeal, a fruit salad, and once again a warm bun with butter. The seats were fairly comfortable, and I was very thankful not to be on a flight with the old fixed shell seats. The AVOD at my seat was horrible. It would not respond to my touch at all, or would take more than 5 minutes. I alerted the cabin crew, they told me that I had to take it slow. After showing them that it didn't work, they went back to the galley, apparently "reset" the AVOD, and told me to try again. They ignored me after that. A tip for all you others out there traveling on long distance flights on the 777-300ERs. At the rear galley there is a snack tray or bin, with peanuts, chips, and other goodies if you feel hungry between meals.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by T Tukla    (China)

PVG-SYD. Dragonair Business to HKG Cathay Premium Economy CX101 HKG-SYD. After many years of flying the Shanghai- Sydney route decided to try Cathay PE. While it was acceptable it is certainly nothing to get excited about. As with many other comments, I agree, it is slightly better than standard economy and far inferior to Business. While not being so interested in the food or entertainment, both of which were fine, I am much more interested in the comfort factor. Cathay PE does not meet my requirements. Both meal services, dinner on departure and breakfast before arrival, the empty food trays sat for far too long, obviously the staff serve PE first, then do the economy cabin service, so it can be a long time before they return to collect the food tray. Cabin lights remained fully lit, well into the 23:55 flight departure. They advertised an amenity kit that provides eye shades, but I was never offered one. A pillow over my face eliminated some of the light. Bathroom is shared with economy, this is not good. The economy flight crew work the PE cabin, while we all sat there with empty food trays in front of us, Business Class crew, and the purser, made a number of trips through the cabin and completely ignored the fact that the cabin needed service. My result is, either take a daytime economy flight, or upgrade to business. PE is not value for money, a separate bathroom, and a couple of dedicated cabin staff would make the experience better. Cathay need to learn something from Turkish Airlines, their Comfort Class works very well.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Smiths Michael    (Singapore)

CX659, 20 July 2014. Flying from Taipei to Singapore, transit in HK. When boarding the flight from Taipei the plane was so hot. Only box of snacks served. The flight from HKG to SIN, the seat was uncomfortable as it can't be reclined back, only the inner part is reclineable which is uncomfortable. Box of snacks is served around 1 hour later, around 2.30am when people are starting to sleep instead of before arriving as a breakfast. The plane was cold to start with, but then was very hot and with no air circulation.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Smith    (Australia)

MEL-HKG-HND-HKG-BKK-HKG-NRT-HKG-MEL. Flown CX all around Asia in the past 3.5 weeks and experienced all their fleet, from the shell seat, to the new seats, found the new seats to be nice and wide but also hard under the legs. Shell seat, well, what were they thinking? All flights were delayed upwards of 30+ minutes, that's right, all! Crew, well they make the airline, and most of them couldn't be found after service was complete. The 747 I flew on needed some seat repairs as there were parts missing or taped over, and the cleanliness was not exactly great. I didn't appreciate the fact that my table on a few flights was filthy. I do however like the fact that they fly to HND and that makes them a much better option than QF. Meal portions very small, but overall, ok. I'll give them a second go.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Barry Miles    (Australia)

Melbourne - Hong Kong - Frankfurt and return. Melbourne lounge dreadful - cramped, viewless and poor food. Boarding chaotic, especially in Hong Kong. Inflight service inconsistent - it seems business passengers are serviced last? The entire right hand side of the business class cabin was not offered bread during the meal service, yet we all watched the basket being carried up and down the other aisle. Food not that good either - although of higher quality out of Melbourne and Frankfurt than Hong Kong. Requests for items (pillows, drinks) required 2-3 times. They ran out of my preferred meal choice on both legs "we did not expect Caucasians to order it" said my flight attendant. Seat impossible to get comfortable on. I am only 172cm tall and 70kg, but could not get a comfortable position. Odd padding sections on the seats and the very narrow foot well when sleeping filled me with regret that I had allowed myself to be talked into flying Cathay by my partner, and not chosen to fly Singapore Airlines where you can stretch out and get proper service (in my view, Singapore Airlines economy service is better than the Cathay business service).

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 July 2014 by S Howard    (UK)

Cebu to HK to London. I had to wait for 20 minutes before I could check in even though I was travelling business class, Marco Polo always get priority and there was no dedicated Marco Polo check in as it is shared. Lounge at Cebu is OK but very limited in choice of food and drinks. Left on time and arrived on time, crew was the best I have ever experienced on Cebu to HK and vice versa. Arrived on time and boarded my flight to London, the crew was very good as usual, however, again no vegetarian choice, luckily I was not hungry. Film selection is a little poor this time, hopefully next time it will be better.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Siauw Steve    (Indonesia)

CGK-HKG-CGK. CGK-HKG on regional A330-300. Up-to-date touch screen IFE. New and fresh regional cabin. Smooth take- off and landing. Food is a bit disappointing in volume and taste. Choice of drinks is also limited but acceptable. HKG-CGK on older regional B777-300. IFE is up-to-date with touch-screen function, but fixed-shell economy seat a bit uncomfortable. Cabin crew should reduce their volume if they want to have some chit chat around the galley or at the very back of the plane so they do not disturb resting passengers.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Tan Alex    (Singapore)

CX 521 from Tokyo Narita to Hong Kong and CX 659 from Hong Kong to Singapore. Both trips were on the B777-300ER. Seats on these planes were so much better than the shell seats. They were the new ones used on the long haul routes. The touch screen PTVs were really sensitive, which was good as compared to those on the old systems of the 777-300 and A330-300, as they hanged a couple of times when I used them. However, not all was good. CX 521 was delayed for 2 hours because of bad weather at Hong Kong. We were only given a 500yen food voucher which was equivalent to 6 Singapore dollars. Anyway, we were served coffee and tea from Tokyo to Hong Kong which really surprised me since they didn't do that for the Singapore to Hong Kong leg as well as the Hong Kong to Tokyo one. Service was a hit-and-miss affair, but the staff were generally very polite, with a few exceptions. The overnight "meals" offered on all Cathay Pacific regional red-eye flights: CX 659 was a red-eye flight and we were not offered any hot meals. We were only given a paper box which contained a muffin, fruits, a biscuit, and an egg bun accompanied by a pack of lemon tea. I get that some passengers want to get some rest, but they should have at least served hot meals to those who were awake. Nevertheless, the flights were good because of the comfortable seats.

Maybe I was expecting too much from a regional flight. I was on CX 716 from Singapore to Hong Kong on 14th July. The economy class seats were the notorious shell seats and it was extremely uncomfortable. There was no lumbar support and the seat back was really hard. There was also no foot rest. In addition, amenity kits and menus were not given out to us. What's worse was that when we boarded the flight, not every seat had blankets and pillows on them and they were only available upon request and the entire process of passengers settling down into their seats was extremely chaotic as several passengers started requesting blankets and pillows from the cabin crew during pushback and the cabin crew were hurrying back and forth just to hand them the blankets and pillows. The food portions were also pretty small and I was still famished even after the meal service. The cutlery provided was also made of cheap plastic and not metal unlike on some other airlines. We were also not served tea or coffee throughout the flight. The cabin crew were in a rush to collect the meal trays from the passengers and when the pilot came on the speaker and requested for the cabin crew to take their seats for landing, they did not even conduct a safety check for us such as making sure our seat belts were fastened, window shades were lifted and hand carry items were placed under the seat in front of us. The only positive on my outbound journey from Singapore to Tokyo was that the cabin crew were really friendly and were always smiling. My inbound journey on CX was much better. I'll post a review on it after this.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 July 2014 by J Egan    (New Zealand)

AKL-HKG codeshared as an NZ booking. The A340 has the slide down seats that many hate but I love. Great lumbar support and it doesn't matter if the persons in front/behind want to eat, sleep or whatever. Lunch was very good; arrival snack was good. All services were nice and efficient. Between NZ and CX I'd pick CX operated flights every time!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Bryce Diaz    (Philippines)

Hong Kong to Manila, flight CX903 operated by a Boeing 777-300ER (77A), First Class Configuration. Premium Economy Class had large PTV screens but meal service was the same as Economy although it was priority boarding and check- in. We were actually upgraded round-trip because of Marco Polo Club. The IFE did not have movies but it had TV shows. I asked the cabin crew for some playing cards and they gave me 2 packs.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Chia Ty    (Singapore)

17/7/14, CX659, HKG-SIN. Sparkling new B777-300ER aircraft, registration B-KQO, hardly over a week in service. This was the aircraft's 8th flight. Got these 4 flights at S$660 so its the best value for money. Transited in HKG from CX500 and had a 3hr layover. Boarding was late by 15 minutes and had no seating order, all economy passengers just boarded at the same time. Full flight. The plane had a new fresh cabin smell, with the latest seats and AVOD entertainment. The AVOD was easy to use and had up to date movies. Music selection was really good for Asian music, with new mandopop albums available. Inflight service was conducted but there was barely any 'proper' service. Due to the midnight flight, we were given a snack box containing cold food. Terrible offering. A box of iced lemon tea was given. Service was by request after that and I got a gin and tonic on request. Trays of water were carried out twice. I feel CX should at least offer a proper meal tray for being a 5 star airline, not a snack box. At least people have the option whether they want to eat supper or skip it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Gabriel Lee    (USA)

HKG-NGO-HKG in June 2014. Both segments were on B777-200, with older regional product in-flight, so the entertainment system is older and not on-demand. Other than that, the whole experience from check-in (online check-in is easy and quick, and dropping bags has separate short line), boarding, and in-flight (meal and services) are excellent.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Gabriel Lee    (USA)

HKG-DPS-HKG in June 2014. Flight was excellent. The food and services were great. Check-in and boarding was fast and easy. Entertainment is on-demand with lots of choices from Hollywood to Bollywood that makes the 4.5 hr journey much more tolerable.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by I Orosz    (Australia)

HKG-BKK. Short flight on the 777-300. Adequate legroom, inflight entertainment is outdated, but was ok for a short trip. Food was fine. Service was excellent.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by James Halley    (China)

Recently flew return HKG-YVR on CX888/889 combo. Missed the cheaper fares on Chinese carriers so elected to fly Cathay instead of Air Canada. Early morning departures from both ends, but earlier flights were more expensive. Flights were very good but more comfortable on the return as we managed to get the back row of the 777 (row 72 a and c, no middle seat). That row had more legroom too and being near the toilet/galley wasn't an issue. Food seemed above average for economy class fare but I do wish CX would offer drinks before serving the meal. I wanted a G+T but not with my meal! Entertainment system whilst not up to Emirates standard was more than adequate even for a flight of over 12 hours. Snacks available in the galley between meals if peckish. Was surprised that economy class had so few toilets, one of which was very narrow indeed. Flights arrived on time. Cabin crew professional as one would expect from CX. Baggage very slow on arrival at HKG but not the airline's fault.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 July 2014 by S Fonseca    (Chile)

Flew CX 0690, SIN-HKG and CX 0103, HKG-CNS. Both in Business Cabin, both the recent new herringbone 1-2-1 config. The seat is good, but everything else was mediocre at best. Lounge at Changi airport dreadful, no proper business class queue at gate. No priority passport lines either at Changi or Hong-Kong airports. Walking distance from Lounge to departure gate at HKG is insane. In-flight service on both flights was all done in a hurry, by noticeably overworked crew. Food was very mediocre. have had much better meals on many coach flights. Seat folds out to flat bed, but on the A330 service HKG-CNS the small cubby hole where Your feet go, the feet feel claustrophobic and it was boiling hot in there. The only Kudos for Cathay is the WING 1st Class lounge at HKG Airport, with its great Cabanas and menu-restaurant dinner.

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.