Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Turino Fuad    (USA)

Recently flown from SFO to HKG and returning flight from HKG to SFO on CX 873 and 872 respectively. I have flown this route many times on their business class. The recent experience confirmed the complaints that I have heard from my peers. CX has definitely moved to cost cutting affecting their most profitability section - the business class customers. During the inflight drink service, the flight crews normally present the drink and a small plate of warm almonds, On both trips, they only offered the drinks and I would have to request for those warm almonds. Selection of food has reduced from 3 to 2. Amenities like salt and pepper that came in the beautiful shakers are removed completely. Upon asking, you are presented with salt and pepper in small plastic container.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Yolanda Makotsvana    (Singapore)

Dismal service on almost all 4 flights during a 2 week period. Singapore - Hong Kong business class with a 16 month old infant - the baby food meal was served after the adults were served so despite my requests my child got his food after 30min of smelling and observing everyone else eating - the meal was suitable for 3 month olds so of course he was tired and no longer interested. Hong Kong - Johannesburg: Cathay lounge personnel were very unhelpful, I requested assistance from the lounge to boarding gate and was told I could get assistance an hour before boarding but not after that as they would be "too busy", so what do I pay a business class ticket for? The inflight meal for my son was served cold! By the time it was warmed up my son was asleep! Johannesburg - Hong Kong, despite my carrying a child no one was there or offered to put my hand luggage away for me, the meal for my child was once again cold, I asked for an extra pillow it never came and staff just seemed to be 'short staffed' or too busy to care. Flight was delayed an hour resulting in my missing my connecting flight to Singapore. Hong Kong - Singapore: 3 hours and a very unhappy toddler later we boarded for Singapore. I had to put my bags away myself and had baby food not fit for my child. The inflight manager did try and offered a kids meal pasta dish and made regular attempts to make sure we were all right. I have flown many times before with all 3 of my children with Singapore Airlines and received far better service in business class. I pay a business class fare expecting a business class service. This was nowhere near the case with Cathay. Extremely disappointing - I cannot in good conscience recommend this airline on these legs to anyone and am very disappointed as I had previously held Cathay Pacific is such high esteem.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  17 October 2013 by Peter Nauli    (Indonesia)

Me, my wife and our 8 month old baby girl recently flew from Jakarta to Hong Kong. It was an Airbus 330 from Jakarta and Boeing 777 coming back from HK, both flights were an excellent experience for all of us. From the starting point at Jakarta airport, we found the level of service of Cathay staff are very helpful, Cleanliness of the plane and toilet and positive attitude of the staff are the reasons I believe I will travel with this airline again in future and will definitely recommend it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 October 2013 by Toni Griffiths    (Australia)

I flew SYD - Hong Kong - Paris return and each time, found the flight to be excellent. Airbus A330-777 - clean, modern planes, friendly efficient service, flights on time, nice food. Let's remember, this is a plane, not a 5 star restaurant. Given that there are 300 people in a fairly restricted space, what else can you expect. Yes, we did have the old 'shell' style seats for one of the legs which weren't that comfy, but overall, I would highly recommend Cathay to anyone. Friends flew Air China and met us at our destination, now there's an airline you need to avoid like the plague, we arrived fresh and happy, they were 6 hours delayed, awful food and no entertainment.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 October 2013 by L Young    (Australia)

My first time flying from Melbourne-Hong Kong on 22 Sep 13 / Hong Kong - Melbourne 4 Oct 13: Paid for the flight 7 months ahead of travel and was told I cannot select my seat until 48 Hrs before flight because it was a special fare. 48 Hrs prior to flying I checked in online hoping to select my seat. Turns out there was no option in seat selection because majority was already allocated and no one can change it - including Cathay Pacific staff. Purchasing special fares from all other airlines 7 months ahead would have given me the option to select my seat ahead of time and not leave me fretting about seats on my return flight. I can understand if this special fare was a last minute sale for seats that did not sell and very close to expiry - but 7 months ahead? My family ended up not being seated together for the return trip back to Melbourne because I was unable to check-in online. My travel agent did not know this rule existed with Cathay Pacific's special fares and was unable to help at all, regardless of all the additional requests in our booking to seat us together and the choice of aisle or window seats. If I was told about this before payment I would have chosen another airline to fly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 October 2013 by B Pavis    (New Zealand)

AKL-HKG and return. A340 both ways. Have not flown this route or airline for many years but had very good memories of past flights, sadly this appeared to be a different airline altogether. Boarding was rather disorganised, seemed to be totally at random. Crew seemed very eager to serve lunch after 1.30pm takeoff, rapidly cleared trays, ordered window shutters closed, then disappeared for rest of flight. Only way to get a drink was to go to end of the aircraft and ask for one. No mid flight water or service was offered. Inflight movie selection was very dated and certainly not current. Old style corded remote. Could put up with all of the above but could not tolerate the seats, the worst seat I have ever used in my entire life, tolerable for 1-2 hours, then agony, fortunately, seat back did not recline into your face, but strange cushion arrangement which allows the seat cushion to move forward, leaving no lower back support and a terrible slouching position. Totally useless, had to ram pillows and blankets behind my back for some meagre support. If I had known how bad this would be I would certainly not have flown this airline. Fortunately I had an aisle seat and could easily get up and walk a little. Meals were usual economy fare, just barely edible but nothing to rave about. Return flight from HKG started with a circus, HK locals, with seats all over the economy section, boarded early and just grabbed seats in pairs, regardless of seat numbers on their tickets. I had booked an aisle seat in row 32, 6 months ago, and boarded almost last on the plane, my seat was long taken by someone whose seat was way back, this rippled all the way through the front of economy and ended with 6 pax stranded at the front of economy with their seats taken, cabin crew refused to move anyone and told us to just get seats that were left. Ended up in a window seat which I had tried so hard to avoid. Cabin crew couldn't seem to care less. Not a great experience all round and then 11 hours with that seat again, never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  8 October 2013 by B Cleary    (USA)

20 Sep 13, ORD-HKG, 777-300 ER. This is usually my route of choice to Hong Kong. CX uses the SAS lounge at O'Hare. Can get a bit cramped, but the offerings are fine. Premium Economy was fine as always. Cheerful FA, food ample and tasty. Good selection of AVOD. On time departure with an early arrival in Hong Kong.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 October 2013 by N Siotto    (UAE)

DXB-MNL via Hong Kong and back in Business Class. At Dubai airport the business class in T1 is the one of British Airways which I repute average. All four routes were served by an A330. I have flown business class with the new herringbone seating configuration. Excellent comfort and good privacy, maybe not as good for keeping an eye on the window for those seating next to it, but those saying you can't I must disagree, I was still able to get a nice view. During the night flights I skipped the meals but must say even on a day flight as short as two hours the meal was good standard. Inflight system is very good and the screen is really wide, with a nice selection of movies. The cabin crew was simply magnificent. Another very positive remark is the cabin temperature. Most airlines keep the inflight climate freezing cold while in all flights with CX the cabin temperature was simply perfect. In conclusion, I booked this flight attracted by a low fare but the value for money is outstanding to say the least. Look forward to travel again hopefully soon with Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 October 2013 by Charles Hamilton    (UK)

I flew business from LHR to HKG and HKG to Melbourne. Boeing 747-400 on LHR to HKG leg was a little long in the tooth but service and food were excellent on both flights. Given the price would definitely recommend and fly with CX again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 October 2013 by A King    (Australia)

Flew Heathrow to Melbourne. It was a pretty terrible experience all round. First flight to HKG was a 747-400. The seats were bizarre, they did not recline but the seat slid forward a little bit, and the support for the bottom of your back is rock hard. Terrible pockets on the seat in front mean if you put anything more than a newspaper in there, the seat pocket is touching your knees. Also, as with all Cathay flights I've been on there was no personal air conditioning control. Food as always was terrible - 2 meals on a 12 hour flight, both of which were not nice at all. Breakfast choice always seems to be an egg based dish or seafood congee. I'd rather just have cereal next time. The dinner is always a choice of an oversalted Asian dish, a vegetarian pasta dish or something else unappetising. Having already flown the opposite route we luckily knew to take snacks on board so we didn't starve. With Qantas / Emirates I usually end up feeling almost overfed, not with Cathay though where you feel like you're in prison. With 2 or 3 hours before landing when breakfast was about to be served my girlfriend noticed that a child on the seat in front had been sick, which had trickled between the seats and gone all over her tracksuit pants which were on the floor in front. We tried to get the cabin crews assistance but they continually ignored us. We ended up just putting them in a bag and then throwing them away. Never again! I'd rather pay an extra $300 to fly Qantas / Emirates than fly with Cathay again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 October 2013 by V Johnson    (Australia)

I travelled from Mumbai to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Sydney. The ticketing/seating on the leg from Hong Kong to Sydney was horrendous! So many people were affected by the poor organisation of the airline. There was a huge bank of people at the desk trying to get seats changed because they could not sit with people they had booked with. Then on the plane itself, people were swapping all over the place. I'm only complaining about seating, which when you are unable to sit with your friend or relative on a long trip, who cares about the rest?

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Edward Poole    (Australia)

Flew Premium Economy from HK to London, in my opinion it is not worth the extra and does not live up to the promise of better food choices and wines etc. One choice of wine, not a choice of several meals but just two. For toilets you have to go back to economy and wait in a queue. Seats were good but not several hundred dollars worth of good. Staff on this flight were good. We got caught up in the Tropical Cyclone Usagi debacle, little information and a useless website. For an airline that says that customer service is a priority, it has let itself down badly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Louis Lin    (Australia)

Flew from Sydney to Hong Kong - very disappointed. The seat is comfortable, but the service was quite poor. Some cabin crews were rude with no smile. The catering was disappointing and the portion was quite small. Won't fly this airline again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by P Elliott    (New Zealand)

Flew AKL to Heathrow via Hong Kong and return. Flew in 3 different aircraft types. Really excellent staff and food. Very nice seat comfort especially 777ER with a space for everything. Had read negative comments about the coffin class on A340-300 but actually found them quite good. A little disappointed in film selection but most of the flights were at night so didn't matter too much. Very happy to recommend business class with Cathay Pacific and would fly with them again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 September 2013 by Adil Mehta    (USA)

The Business class, alas, is not for families and those who want to sit next to each other and talk. It is designed almost exclusively for people traveling by themselves. I have a 3 year old (and he was 2 years old and I had still purchased a separate seat for him), but a child this young needs someone next to him for all the obvious reasons. Unfortunately the designers did not make any allowance for people like myself. What a pity. The staff were nice and helpful, but I will not want to travel in Business class in Cathay again unless I am by myself, which is hardly ever the case.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 September 2013 by Michael A Bogdanovskiy    (Israel)

HKG-TSA-KIX and return. Very nice staff, but its the only good thing that I can say about this flight. In both flights I flew 777 but different cabin types. First time it was old type Economy, seats was ok, very poor entertainment on flight, but in return it was New Economy Class and its terrible, even in 5 hours flights. I don't know what they were thinking when they made seats that do not actually recline!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  16 September 2013 by Andrew Riches    (UAE)

Dubai - Hong Kong - Sydney. I have flown this route with Cathay now 3 times in the last 5 months in the new business class. It takes me an extra six odd hours on this route with the stop over rather than with Qantas direct, however, that's where the negatives stop. Considering the price which is consistently 2000 dollars less expensive return and what I regard as a better product than QF (seats all have aisle access much more privacy etc), it's a no brainer. Cathay every time as the saving/product far out weighs the extra travel time. The inflight service, food and all round package has for me, Has been consistently excellent as well. Will continue with them for all my travel!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 September 2013 by C Goddard    (UK)

I had not flown CX for some time but was massively disappointed. 3 of the 4 business class flights (UK - Hong Kong - Singapore) were in seats that should have been scrapped years ago (747 especially). It was like travelling in an old coffin. The equipment was ancient, I have not seen such poor seats and screens in other airlines for at least ten years. The screen at one time gave a message that Heathrow terminal 5 would be opening in March 2008 and that care should be taken when using Heathrow. This is amazingly poor. The food was more like economy standard than business. The choice of films and other entertainment was limited with very few recent films. The whole experience was not what I expect from a 'quality' airline. The only redeeming factor was that most of the staff were very helpful.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Nick Roberts    (UK)

MNL-HKG-LHR. While the new, reclining, economy seats on its 777s are certainly appreciated, service levels continue to be eroded. Online check-in did not open until 12 hours before the flight - I suspect because I was departing from MNL - which meant that there were hardly any seats available to select on the HKG-LHR flight. Food was generally bad, and of course they ran out of options. Cathay now serves tap water, which would be fine were it not that there was a very bleachy aftertaste in the water served on the flight to London. Cathay seems unable to serve cold drinks. Having recently flown long haul with Singapore Airlines, I would say that there is a vast difference between these two airlines' economy offerings, with Cathay much the worse.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by J Malherbe    (Australia)

Business class, Sydney-Hong Kong-Milan, (points reward ticket). Excellent flights . Seats very comfortable, service superb in all aspects. Would definitely recommend.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Scott Williams    (Australia)

Id originally booked my SYD-LHR flight with Virgin Atlantic. The day before my flight, I was informed that the incoming flight to HKG from LHR had been sent back to LHR due to engine problems. I was then rebooked on Qantas SYD to HKG then Cathay Pacific HKG to LHR. I was upgraded to Business on the SYD-HKG leg then had a 6 hour lay over in HKG. All attempts to get the window seat I had requested met with apologies as the flight was full. I am used to a little more room given the fact that I am spending the extra dollars on the Premium Economy cabin. The configuration was 2-4-2. I was stuck in the middle and as soon as the meal service had ended and the trays collected the whole row in front of my row reclined their seats making it impossible to get out of the seat without disturbing my neighbour. Which meant that for the entire 12 hour flight from HKG to LHR I was only able to get up once during the flight to go to the toilet. It would make more sense to remove an entire row and space the cabin accordingly. I can't imagine how bad the Economy section was. I will never travel Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Jim Ash    (USA)

NRT-HKG, SIN-HKG and HKG-SFO, September 1st, 3rd and 5th respectively. First two flights were in Business Class on an A330 - lots of room, great service and food. Studio C entertainment worked well and flights were on time. HKG-SFO flight was in First Class and on a 747-400. There were 4 passengers in the cabin and the service was excellent. 3 Flight Attendants and I felt like I was in a 5-Star hotel and restaurant. Having flown them before on the 777-300ER in First, I was aware of their service/food etc. but this flight surpassed previous experiences. It is one of those times when you wished it did not have to end. The bed on the 747 and 777-300ER is the best I have experienced. The seat alone at 36 inches wide is enough space for two people. I hope to fly Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by M Vejvar    (Austria)

I booked a flight from Moscow to Hong Kong - it was horrible. The plane was malfunctioning, and instead of getting us off the plane, they left us sitting there for 7 hours. They finally let us off the plane, and sent us to the transit area - without information or water, for 3 hours. Then, they let us wait another 12 hours, at least in the Business Lounge. After the 12 hours, they announced that we would have to wait for another 18 hours to get our flight - that's when we snapped, and they re-booked us with Emirates via Dubai. Cathay lost our luggage that arrived three days later.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Tim Short    (Australia)

Hong Kong - Sydney, Premium Economy. After a pretty poor experience Sydney - Hong Kong earlier in the year I was quite pleased with this flight. Received a champagne after boarding, the business class main course was very nice. Korean member of crew on my aisle was very customer focused. Seats are decent sized and allowed about 5 hours sleep before a nice hot breakfast. Only downsides were limited choice and refilling of drinks and long way and wait for the bathroom.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Erwin Lee    (Canada)

I flew CX 827 from Toronto-Hong Kong originally I was supposed to be on CX 826 but was cancelled due to engine failure. I was rescheduled on the next flight and was given $100 to spend on food at the airport. I have been flying with the airline since 2000 and I enjoy the service, friendly flight attendants, and the flight although the food could use some improvement. I recommend the airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Rich McLafferty    (USA)

Just flew HKG-SFO in Premium Economy. It's ok, nothing special. I am a vegetarian and ordered a special meal. They serve your special meal at least 30 minutes prior to serving the other passengers so it seems quite strange (you're there eating and nobody else is), then you don't get a drink until they serve the other passengers so I was done with my meal and my tray sat there for about 1.5 hours. Did not get any other amenities, they are supposed to give you a small amenity kit but nobody got one on this flight. Not really sure it's worth the extra cost of the ticket. If you're used to business class, premium economy will be a big disappointment in my opinion.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 September 2013 by A Thompson    (New Zealand)

Checked in for my flight at Rome International Airport to Auckland, New Zealand via Hong Kong. Queued to board when a Cathay Pacific hostess said there was a delay, to go have lunch, then return at 1pm. I returned at 1pm. My flight was still not boarding and no staff present. Waited a further 2 hours before any staff were present to answer questions. Told the flight had been delayed until 9am the next morning, to go to the Hilton hotel and those with connecting flights will receive information once there. No explanation for the delay. In the morning we were told that connecting flights would be arranged once we landed at Hong Kong. No boarding gate was given, security would not let us through as our boarding passes were for the day before, Cathay Pacific staff failed to inform them we were coming. Once at the gate we were told of a further delay until 4pm. Told there were no seats on that days flight to Hong Kong. I was informed my connecting flight from Hong Kong to Auckland would be rescheduled and would be available when I landed. This did not happen. Staff at Hong Kong put me on a later flight. I am extremely annoyed at how the situation was handled. I will never fly Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 September 2013 by M Krahl    (Australia)

Just returned from Germany on PE Cathay Pacific. Flew SYD to HKG seated in 30 D and E. Priority Check In and Boarding in Sydney, plenty of Legroom (Bulkhead Seat). Champagne as promised, good Meal, good Seat Comfort except short Seat Base for good under thigh support. Footrest useless, only suitable for very short people, used Pillow on lower part of Legrest instead. HKG to FRA seated in 31 D and E. No Priority Boarding, found out on return leg that we could have boarded with Business and First (no Announcements). Less Legroom because Bulkhead was closer, but still plenty of room. PE Cabin had their own toilet, unlike previous Flight where we had to share Economy Toilet. Same Seats, Champagne and good Food. On Return, Priority Check in and Boarding in Frankfurt, same Seats as previously. Food was worse and Service less friendly. On the last leg from HKG to SYD not as attentive as on the way over. All up good Product, but could be improved in some Areas.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 August 2013 by R Adams    (Australia)

I just flew for the first time with Cathay Pacific Premium Economy and was very disappointed. Plastic glasses, slanted TV screens in first row, thin blankets, extremely mediocre food even for the "Hong Kong chef special", only one wine choice for either white or red and red wine was freezing cold. The service was very inattentive - no refills on wine, for example. Poor wine quality. Uncomfortable seats and very weak selection of movies. Also, lots of confusion at boarding whether premium economy can board with business or just economy. Compare this to Qantas premium economy: nice food on a white tablecloth with real plates and real glasses. good selection of wines. thick blanket. attentive service-you feel almost like business class. comfortable and attractive seats. How does Cathay get a good reputation?

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  27 August 2013 by J Munro    (New Zealand)

Was a trip of 2 halves. Flew out on July 18 and the service from AKL-HKG-LHR was amazing, great food, attentive staff, comfortable seats and excellent inflight entertainment. Flew home on 18 August and what a difference. Food was average and the crew disappeared for most of the flight. In addition the reclining seats were frustrating and annoying.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 August 2013 by Edwin Yuen    (USA)

CX872, Aug 18. I just got back from a trip from Hong Kong to San Francisco in economy Plus. There is no priority boarding like they advertise. You will board with the regular economy class. My TV monitor did not work.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 August 2013 by V Carslake    (Australia)

Flown 7 Cathay flights in 2 weeks. Can't say I love them. The new shell seats are the most uncomfortable seats ever! Food very average, especially as I ordered vegetarian meals. Bland and carb filled. Terrible service at the airport in HK. Flew Colombo-Singapore-HKG, with a 7 hour stopover before MEL. On their website it says those with a transit time of over 4 hours can access their lounges. Upon arriving at one of them we were abruptly told no, this is for business class and first class or members only. Won't fly them again. They were on time though.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  15 August 2013 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

Sydney to HKG, premium economy. Flight cancelled by SMS due to typhoon. Struggled to contact Sydney office, ended up buying new ticket myself. PE class very empty and business class very empty too , even though I asked for upgrades due to extra cost and inconvenience. Seats etc good, not much cabin presence as lights turned off. Food ok but really just a slight step up from economy. Think pricing wrong for this class as cabin always empty or filled on upgrades. Contacting CX while in Australia hard as phone line just went dead.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  15 August 2013 by Kayla Seet    (Singapore)

Hong Kong to Singapore on CX711 on 8 August 2013. The seats were narrow with no room space to straighten legs. Worse when the passenger in front row reclines their seat. Food is terrible, tasteless and meatless. Service is slow. Requested warm water and they took ages to serve it. Inflight entertainment is also a disappointment and during my return flight, my inflight entertainment is faulty and there was no entertainment for me throughout my entire journey. I am sorry to say that in general, budget flights have better service, quality and seats.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 August 2013 by C Lindsay    (Hong Kong)

Just returned to HK from JFK on CX 831. As usual, CX service, food, condition of the cabin, etc. were all top notch and we had a great flight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 August 2013 by Anthony Windsor    (China)

Shanghai to Taipei via HK. The boarding process was normal, the service is given on family name terms. The food is nice looking but the quantity is not enough. FAs walk around the cabin every 3 minutes asking whether you need anything. They are nice and talkative. Felt at home on board.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 August 2013 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

HKG to Sydney. Flight was on Airmiles. Lounge lovely as boarding, boarding fine and economy cabin was clean and fresh. Great crew throughout, really helpful. Food nice all thought and the AVOD is excellent. PE class almost empty, asked if I could pay for upgrade, told no. Excellent Cathay service.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2013 by Graham Andrew    (UK)

I flew CP from Seoul to Narita, Japan last year in 1st class. Staff were exceptionally solicitous and almost desperate to help in any way they could. Everyone was very polite. Cabin was spotlessly clean and very well- appointed. Food was delicious. Service was superb. Cannot fault it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2013 by L Muscat    (Australia)

I have just got back to Melbourne from Rome via Hong Kong flying and I was very disappointed. The food was terrible, myself, my husband and our son could hardly eat any of the meals and when asked if they had any crackers they said the only snack they can offer is peanuts or noodles. Flight CX929 from Rome to Hong Kong, after pressing my button for assistance and waiting over 45 mins I noticed people walking to the back of the plane and coming back with drinks? A fellow passenger informed me there was only one stewardess on duty and we had to get the drinks ourselves. As to the snacks offered, you can imagine my surprise when my husband came to me and offered chocolate bars. He said the stewardess offered them to him. I must however say that our flight from HK to Melbourne was nothing like this, there were lots of staff on duty, except food was just as terrible and snacks offered were peanuts and noodles.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2013 by Jeremy Chan    (Hong Kong)

CX 506 from HKG to KIX on 31/7, and CX 567 return on 7/8. Flew a 22-year old B747-400 on the first flight. Shell seat was not a problem for me. Food (pasta) was good, and a wide-selection of inflight entertainment. Staff were really mediocre, not outstanding. Flew on a 10-year old A330-300 on the return flight. Seat was fine, although quite narrow. Old inflight entertainment system, and only a few channels to choose from. Food was edible. Staff were not impressive, and I should say, definitely below Cathay Pacific standard for both flights. Ground staff at Hong Kong International Airport were fair, but the check-in staff at Kansai International Airport was excellent and helpful.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by H Feather    (UK)

BKK-HKG. Took the 1.20am Thursday July 26, CX706 red-eye from BKK-HKG. Plane took off about 2am. I took a chance and didn't bother to book the emergency exit seat and it paid off as there was plenty of room for me to lay out across the 3 seats in the centre section. Plane had the new economy seating and much more comfortable than the old shell seats. Leg room much better than the hopeless alternative on Thai Air. Staff as usual helpful and attentive. Silly little snack packs provided but at that time of the morning not too bothered. Overall pleasant flight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Sylvia Goddard    (UK)

AKL to Hong Kong [partial return of my July journey]. Airbus 340/300 with the coffin like seats I have commented on before. I struggle to see why Cathay are a 5* airline. Again I find the service to be OK but just OK. I missed out on a pre take off drink because no one noticed I had arrived and sat down. After that the service is functional but not pro active. You needed to get up and ask for anything and again, I saw no cabin walk through. This was a 12 hour mid day flight so they served lunch and then after 6 hours [with 6 to go] they served dinner which very few wanted [most were asleep] and then after the main course that was it - nothing more. Strange. The next part of the journey home is later today, this will be the new business class on the Boeing 777. Overall, if the price was very good then I would use them again, but other far east and middle east airlines are ahead of the game. Not overly impressed, mainly because of the lack of service.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by S Goddard    (UK)

The last leg of my 4 flights (LHR-AKL via Hong Kong return) for those of you that have been following me. Really just the same comments. The new business class seat on the 777 is brilliant and very much ahead of other airlines especially with the 1x2x1 seating. Great comfort, storage and privacy, also great to have two biz cabins one with only 2 rows in (always get that one if you can). However, the service on the ground and in the air still seems just 'OK' and leaves me pondering on how they maintain their 5* rating. Food was very good but lack of service in the cabin makes me think that I will always only fly them again for a very good price and the seat so long as I can get the window one. Other Middle East and Far East airlines offer a better overall product for a premium passenger.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by S Venkat    (USA)

Recently completed a round trip on SFO-HKG-MAA sector in Premium Economy. Outbound was on 777 and return on 747. Outbound we managed to get front row seats which were extremely comfortable, roomy. Return we had two seats in the front and two in back but we swapped with fellow passengers so all four of us sat in the last row. The front row seats had much less room than 777. If you want front row seats make sure you get the side rows and not the center. In 777 it makes no difference as there is a ton of room in both center and side row seats. Food is not bad for Indian vegetarian. Toiletry bag is of inferior quality compared to Emirates Economy and SQ economy. CX offers the shortest connection to MAA from west coast. Flying time of roughly 13 hours to HKG and 12 hours return to SFO. HKG to MAA and return is roughly 5 hours. Service is pretty decent although SQ rates higher IMHO. Premium Economy is worth if you get front row seats otherwise not sure unless you are unable to fit comfortably in Economy seats.

Earlier comments for Cathay Pacific have been archived (ie. prior to the date of last comment above).

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.