Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 January 2014 by T Chigaros    (USA)

JFK-HKG-CMB, 12/18. We purposely like to fly out of JFK to catch Cathay's afternoon non-stop to HKG vs. flying out of LAX (plus get a couple of nights in NYC). Check-in at JFK is with BA. They don't offer any of the special services you find at JAL FC check-in or AA Flagship (an airline employee walks you counter check-in through Security to the Lounge). Priority TSA is not available at the early afternoon hour. Luckily, regular security did not have long lines. Cathay uses the BA FC Lounge which is not special and needs a major refurb. The 777-300 had Cathay's new refreshed FC cabin. The flight is so special it makes up for the mediocre airport experience. The FAs are simply the best. Lunch and dinner meal services on this 16+ hour flight can't be beat. The menu has a wide variety of choices. I had the lamb which was perfectly cooked to my requested preference, medium rare. Turn down service, PJs (an upgraded PJ, very comfortable) and inflight entertainment are the best of the Asian carriers. Simply the best choice to Asia.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Roy Gunawan    (Indonesia)

CGK-HKG, CX 776, HKG-SFO, CX 872. Requests were treated as a big nuisance for the flight attendants. When water was politely requested, the FA said "later, I'll come back to you," but never did. Overall, CX failed to represent its status as a five-star airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 December 2013 by Donald Parsons    (USA)

LAX-HKG / SIN-HKG-LAX - Great flights all around. Wonderful inflight service and all departures were on time. Traveled in Business Class on the B777. The transpacific has lie-flat seats and is the first time in YEARS that I have been able to sleep 6-8 hours. Very comfortable seats with lots of storage space and great selection on the entertainment system.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Purna Ananth    (India)

CX 684, BOM-HKG and CX 685, HKG-BOM. Both flights departed late and landed an hour late. Cabin crew were polite and attentive. Airplane was an old 747 and looked gloomy. They did serve the pre-ordered VLML meal on both legs which is way better than airlines like Thai that take VLML orders on their BOM leg and do not serve them.

CX 418, HKG-Seoul and CX 411, Seoul-HKG. Airplanes looked old with dated video systems. Cabin crew were friendly and helpful. Pre-ordered VLML meals arrived. Flights were pretty much on time.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Alvaro Gloria    (Mexico)

BLR-HKG-PVG, Business. Although Cathay is normally a quite good airline, the aircraft used for this crowded flight is ridiculous. The business class seat is not the old fashioned big chair, nor the nearly horizontal flat bed slide, it can only be defined as "the back cracker". Honestly a coach seat does the job better on this semi-long haul flight. Service and food is no problem, but leaving from BLR at almost 3am (scheduled time) leaves no room for enjoying dining but a sleeping urgency after an overcrowded lousy stay in the BLR poor lounge. Do not take this flight if possible, it is one of the worst overall.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Brian Gwyn-Davies    (UK)

LHR-HKG, Business Class, 12th Nov 2013 - Excellent flight on 777. Food and service perfect. Business lounge at HKG great. HKG-SYD, Business Class, 13th Nov 2013 - Terrible flight on old A330. Seats stained and cramped compared to 777. Service and food good. SYD-HKG, Bus Class, 2nd Dec 2013. Same tired old A330 terrible. HKG-LHR, Bus Class, 3rd Dec 2013. Very old 747 with terrible cramped seats worse than A330. This is the worst Business Class flight I have ever been on - a disgrace. I will not fly Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 December 2013 by Shiva Sitaraman    (USA)

SFO-MAA-SFO. Overall the service seems to be slipping though compared to the competition on this route, it still is the best value for money. My wife ordered an Indian veg meal for all legs of the journey. Once again, the meal from SFO to HKG was inedible. The same thing happened on an identical itinerary in Feb 2012. Looks like they don't change the special meal menus. The quality improved on the other legs though overall the meal quality (special and regular) has come down. AVOD was fine. The shell seat on the old 747-400 is most uncomfortable though the leg room is fine.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 December 2013 by B Wijesinghe    (USA)

LAX-HKG. B77W. First Class. The aircraft had the newest special dark green paint scheme celebrating Hong Kong. Check-in was good but boarding delayed and not well organized due to late arrival of the aircraft. The much-advertised, refurbished First Class cabin is a huge disappointment. The reflection of Chinese heritage through dark stained wood veneer finishes and rich silk-like fabrics have been replaced with very cheap and common-looking grey plastic and light stained wood veneer finishes and ordinary grey fabrics. Perhaps this was a hastily assembled, early product for this signature paint scheme aircraft, as the fit and finish of most components were very poor, and the new seat padding a disappointment on a 15 -hour journey. Cabin service was top-notch, from sincerely caring staff. However, they could improve in the area of anticipating customers' needs. The meals were well-prepared but the menu offered very few choices, and didn't offer more upscale entrees. The beverage selection was excellent, with some very good wines on offer. While CX continues to offer an excellent First Class product, it needs to up its game in light of recent upscale competitors in Asia and the Middle East. The Wing First Class Lounge at HKG is excellent, with attentive staff, lovely Cabanas and good food.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  19 December 2013 by James Ho    (Hong Kong)

CX255, 18th Sep 2013, HKG-LHR. The seat was quite comfortable, but the personal display looked a little bit cheap. The flight attendants were friendly and helpful. The meals were very good for in-flight meals. As in all 747s, the seat was a bit narrower than the 777 seats. Ground crew was also very helpful, offering to print my boarding pass (I had the e-pass on my phone).

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Doug Blaik    (Australia)

JFK-HKG-SYD in Premium Economy, a very long flight with every seat filled JFK-HKG. The aircraft cabin was in excellent condition. The cabin crew were smiling and immaculately groomed which is more than I can say for Qantas with whom I usually travel. I pre-ordered a Lacto Veg meal. I was offered a glass of champagne prior to take-off but when I requested one with the meal service, I was told there was none and I could have red or white wine, no mention of what it was and it was served in a disposable plastic tumbler. The veg main course was good. The dessert on the tray was fresh pineapple which I cannot eat because of medication I take. When the standard meal ice creams were offered I requested one but was told I couldn't have one as it may not be vegetarian. A second meal was served a few hours later but to my surprise the main course on my tray was exactly the same as the previous one. Cups of noodles were offered once during the long night flight, other snacks listed on the menu were not offered but had to be obtained from trays in the galley. If you are seated on the left side of the 777 to get to the lavatory which is on the right side at the front of the Premium Economy Cabin, you need to go back through the E/C cabin, cross over through the centre galley and then back up to the front and vice versa to get back to your seat. On the HKG-SYD sector I moved seats to enable the person next to me more room as he had to go straight to work on arrival. When breakfast was offered I told the cabin attendant I had moved and that I had ordered a veg meal. I did not want to leave them short a breakfast tray. I was told they that would get my meal. When it arrived what I think was an economy tray was put in front of me on which was a bowl with 5 cubes of melon, half a plastic tumbler of apple juice, a dry bread roll and a main course which did not appeal. There was no butter, no jam, no croissant, no yoghourt all listed on the Premium Economy menu. In my opinion Cathay Pacific has a long way to catch up with their Premium Economy service.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 December 2013 by Tejatanalert Sukasem    (Thailand)

CX-617 from HKG to BKK. The flight was on time. Seat and Entertainment service were fine. The meal served rather disappointing, I had a chicken curry on rice which only filled half the container.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 December 2013 by Hans Roloff    (Germany)

HKG-ICN - my wife and myself had some difficulty in getting our seats assigned. Initially I thought this is due to our "ultra competitive fare" not allowing advance seat reservation, but the real reason seemed to be that Cathay made an equipment change from A333 to B773 at very short notice, only hours before departure. Thus we did not get the desired twin-seat in the Airbus, but a neighbour in the 3-3-3 configuration of the 777. All the rest was "standard procedure" in Cathay's five star level. On time departure, arrival ahead of schedule, well managed inflight service despite a full cabin. Friendly and polite cabin crew, but clearly focussed due to the number of pax to be served. AVOD ok, but this is not ranking high in my priority list. I prefer a good choice of reading options which I got plus a decent meal and a good beverage selection. This being a morning flight the emphasis was more on tea and coffee - and only later on wine. I got all I needed and am once again really content with Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 December 2013 by Gary Greene    (USA)

SFO-DXB/SIN-SFO Our first time on CX Premium Economy. Seats are fairly comfortable with decent legroom and an excellent VOD system. Food not much different from that served in Economy and they acted surprised when we requested a cocktail before dinner. The much advertised "separate check-in and separate boarding lines" were available in SFO but nowhere else. All in all not a bad experience but they have a long way to go to match the Premium Economy of Air New Zealand and Qantas.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 December 2013 by James Gerwin    (USA)

Flew CX in Nov 2013 from BKK-SIN and then SIN-HKG a few days later in economy. Both flights were mediocre. Legroom is very lacking. Food very average. FA's however were very good and attentive. I booked these tickets 6 months earlier, yet CX arbitrarily changed our seat assignments on the SIN-HKG leg, and my wife and I were seated 10 rows apart. No apology, no effort to correct their error. Also, I had booked and paid for Premium Economy and was told no PE on these legs. Yet the SIN-HKG flight clearly had a PE cabin which was half empty. Not very fair. Both flights did leave and arrive on time. Baggage delivery by CX quite slow in BKK and SIN and HKG.

Flew LAX-HKG return in Nov 2013 in Premium Economy. Good value for money. Seats were reasonably comfortable with adequate leg room. An inflatable seat cushion made my bottom more comfortable. FA's were friendly and attentive. Food was decent for airplane food. A/V was excellent, with high quality screens and a huge program menu. Would certainly recommend CX for transpacific trips. Only complaint would be that there are not enough toilets on this 777 aircraft.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  6 December 2013 by E Walsh    (USA)

HKG-JFK, 25 Nov 2013. Business, 777-300ER. Very comfortable pods with lie-flat seats that promote comfortable sleeping conditions. Extremely attentive staff anxious to serve. Decent food, very good wine and, I believe, 4 hot towels during the roughly 15 hour flight. Compared to Korean Air's business class on A380, where the entire upper deck is for business, the cabin seemed a bit more confined (and, frankly, comparable to Korean's 777 business class) but a very good experience. Plenty of storage, very clean restrooms (frequently serviced during the flight), good video system and excellent headphones. Certainly an expensive alternative to Premium Economy but clearly a step above.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  6 December 2013 by E Walsh    (USA)

JFK-HKG, 17 Nov 2013. Premium Economy on 777-300ER featured not only more legroom and more deeply reclining seats but a wider arm rest between seats resulting in a sense of not crowding the passenger next to me (or vice versa!). Odd that dinner would be served at approximately 2.00 am when all I wanted to do was sleep. All-in-all a pleasant, if lengthy trip and because of a small subsection of the cabin reserved for this class it provided a feeling of relative seclusion. Very attentive staff. Avoid bulkhead seats as people walking down the left aisle using restroom on right side of aircraft must walk across the outstretched legs of passenger reclining there.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 December 2013 by Lee Cheng Jun    (Singapore)

Flew from Singapore to Taipei via Hong Kong recently. The departing flight was as usual, the new 777-300 regional economy class seats are good with touchscreen VOD but not much selection. Not many complains for this leg except for the fact that there is an irritating pack of stuff on the left hand side of the seat belt. For the return flight from Taipei to Singapore, I was surprised that they upgraded the plane from an A340 to a 777-300ER. I loved the seats. I was also surprised that they serve a box of food followed by a packet of oolong tea. The VOD selections for this flight is not much, only a selection of music and television programs. Flight from Hong Kong to Singapore was a horrible flight. The boarding procedures for economy class were unbearable, I was forced to put my carry on luggage 4 rows behind my seat as the flight was fully loaded and people brought lots and lots of shopping bags onboard the flight. Flight CX735 was delayed 50 mins. The flight attendants were very kind and always offered to help passengers.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 December 2013 by W Teoh    (UK)

In recent years I have noticed massive improvements in the service of CX flight, ground staff and reservations etc. I now attempt to use HK as my transit point to anywhere Asia. My most frequent route being LHR-HKG-PEN return so that allows me to test both long haul and regional the same time. Long haul depending on which flight, the old configuration on the 747-400 is still very comfortable especially when travelling solo but not great when travelling in pairs or if you like looking out the windows. I always like sitting on the upper deck. The new configuration on the 777-300ER are by far the best business class seats I have ever experience. You can have great view outside or in pairs, the middle seats allow both privacy or dining together depending what you enjoy. Extremely comfortable travel all round with great food and service. They clearly take service very seriously as majority of flights I have been on with CX, I was asked if I would like to do a detailed written survey. It's extensive but something I am always happy to do. It's clear that consistently over the years the scores are moving more and more positive from my point of view. I used to dread the long journeys but now, I look forward to them when I know I am travelling Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 December 2013 by N Gaastra    (Philippines)

Flying for the second time this year with Cathay Pacific (Economy) and it's not as good as it used to be before. I was not able to reserve a seat online for my flight from MNL to AMS. I called the HQ in Manila and they advised me to come to the airport on time, so I could reserve my seat (I wanted to upgrade to premium or business). Arriving at Manila International I found out that I was not able to upgrade in any way. From Manila to Hong Kong the flight was ok, we had a new airplane and the seats were comfortable. Though we only got a cheap snack, even though our flight was at 8pm and people were hungry. From Hong Kong to Amsterdam the flight was delayed and we had to move from Gate 69 to Gate 31. Finally we got to board our flight to Amsterdam, only to find out that we were using an old airplane again. For some reason they use old airplanes to Amsterdam all the time lately. Same with routes from Hong Kong to Rome I was told by a stewardess. But flights from Hong Kong to Milan do have new airplanes. All in all, super uncomfortable chairs and again I got back pain during the flight. Really the worst I have experienced with intercontinental flights. On another note: big difference in treatment between business and economy. I mean, yes business class and first class do have the right to be treated a bit different since they paid for it. But I haven't experienced a nice service from the crew, unlike I am used to when flying other airlines. It would be nice if Cathay can have a look at this. For now I will choose another airline next time going to my home country.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by Hugh Forward    (USA)

JFK to SIN. Cathay is nothing but consistent, the cabin crew remain above average as long as you express your needs all the time. They will not come to your seat to ask what you need, even turning down the bed. The ground crew are just awful, to pay a premium fare to get abused like this almost leaves you in tears. The icing on the cake are the personnel at Asia miles I must have come within a whisker of having a heart attack. They are brutally bad. I think that Cathay ground crew must be looking up to BA and Qantas for inspiration. From now on I am going to try Qatar, the extra couple of extra hours have to be worth it!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by A Nelson    (Canada)

Flew HKG-DPS-HKG. First time in Cathay economy (usually a Star Alliance customer). Shocked at the lack of cleanliness on the plane. My seat was stained and had crumbs, there was gum stuck to the seat frame in front of me as well as had jagged metal sticking out which kept grazing my skin, and the blanket distributed had long hairs (not mine) all over it. Crumbs were all over the floor. Was disappointed with the poor food served, the lack of water, and the atrocious IFE. Had to repeatedly ask for the right headphones (not standard, old fashioned) as I was given the wrong ones for the outlet.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 December 2013 by D Swarts    (USA)

I honestly cannot say a bad thing about my experience, and my experience was exactly the opposite of many of the reviews I read. I found the Cathay Pacific staff at the airports and on board the aircraft to be friendly and eager to help. I even requested to try to get on an earlier return flight on stand by, and my elite status and the staff made this happen. My seats in the Economy cabin of my B777-300ER aircraft were comfortable for my 15-hour outbound flight and my 12-hour return flight. The food was fine, but if you want to eat first I suggest ordering one of the many speciality meals. And there were several snacks available in between scheduled meal times, but I only knew about this by doing my research. The highlight of the trip was the seat-back on-demand entertainment (I watched a total of nine recent feature movies and several popular cable TV shows I've never seen before). And the USB charging port and the very handy small storage area just below the TV screen were also very nice to have. I wish I had these seats and amenities on every aircraft I fly on all year. Also, the new International terminal at LAX is great with lots of seating with powerports at the gate. All in all, it was a good experience and based upon my experience I recommend Cathay Pacific highly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 December 2013 by A Riguccini    (Australia)

Cathay is gradually deteriorating in standards. After many flights and years of experience I find that flights out of Hong Kong and Bangkok are always delayed, awaiting Finnair or other partners, by periods of over an hour. This adds 2 to 3 extra hours to a flight, a panic transfer at Hong Kong, to Australia. The apologies are insincere and automated. The crew are always too busy accommodating infants and business class, to respond to requests. Seats have become less comfortable, head sets are cheap and ill fitting, flights full and cramped, drink selection more restricted. This might make the airline meet its budget but the overall experience for travellers is very taxing. I will search for alternatives.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 November 2013 by A Burke    (Australia)

Flew KUL to HKG, A330 in Nov 2013 in business class. This aircraft fitted with the regional interior. Despite this being the old seat design it was reasonably comfortable for a flight of <4 hours. However the ancient in flight entertainment system was not only limited in options and hard to navigate, (regularly crashing and not 'on demand') but the physical hardware poorly maintained. The screen (rises out of arm rest) fell and knocked half my meal off the table. Crew were not interested in either the problem or the result. Worst IFE system I have used in over a decade. Food. For those like me requiring a special meal (vegetarian) my entree was brought out as seafood with the message "we know you requested one but we didn't have vegetarian entree." Then the main meal (this time actual vegetarian) was served in economy style foil container rather than plated up like rest of business class. Conversely the quality of good was good and the beverages of a high standard. Dispassionate, cold customer service throughout the flight a long way short of previous business class trips on Cathay. The service standard would be disappointing in economy, let alone business. Very limited English speaking and English announcements at the gate and onboard generally skipped. Captains announcements were very timely and informative. Great selection of newspapers and in flight magazine "Discovery" was full of good HK tips. Aircraft clearly showing its age with lots of rattles and squeaks. Business class toilets too small & generally inaccessible as catering trolleys block the aisles for most of the flight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Roger Stone    (Australia)

BNE-HKG-LHR-HKG-BNE (with side travel to China on Dragonair on the way). Good, usual Cathay service in Premium Economy, I have found to be remarkably consistent over recent years (I tend to travel on Cathay to somewhere of other about once a month). Premium Economy is excellent if the smallish PE cabin is not full, otherwise it can become rather claustrophobic. Cathay Pacific lounges are always first rate, in my opinion - great for working or eating. Inflight food also seems to be improving. Only hassles I have is on very long sectors where I seem to have become the target of inconsiderate fellow passengers - getting kicked in the back every 20 minutes all the way from London to Hong Kong overnight is not much fun, maybe a function of the seat pitch in PE. One can always pray for an upgrade!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 November 2013 by M Sha    (Singapore)

NKG-HKG-SFO-HKG-NKG round trip, very cheap price compared to Singapore Airlines, China Eastern and Air China (obviously much better service compared to those two Chinese airlines). One A321 and A330 between NKG and HKG and one B747 and B777 between HKG and SFO, nice food and friendly staff, though I was told there was no blanket for me for the last trip from HKG to NKG - luckily it was only a two hour flight. Leg space provided is excellent for B747 flight but less satisfactory for the B777 (especially for a 12 hour flight).

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 November 2013 by C Kay    (UK)

LHR-HKG-LHR Both flights on time. The business class seat is very comfortable and the features, particularly storage, are well thought out. Service on both sectors took a while to get going, and the pork main course on the first sector was tough and chewy. No problem with the rest of the menu though. Entertainment options are fine, but nowhere near as good as the likes of Emirates.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 November 2013 by H Burn    (UK)

Flew Heathrow-Hong Kong-Perth, economy class. Had brilliant fights all round, will be flying with them again next year.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 November 2013 by D Scott    (UK)

We travelled recently to Sydney Australia and also did internal flights with their sister company although long haul is never easy we cannot fault Cathay Pacific for there care and help as my husband cannot walk great distances and on all flights they had arranged wheelchair assistance and helped us as much as they could which made our journey much more pleasurable. Drinks were offered on a regular basis, food was quite good for plane food and the staff were courteous and efficient. The only thing I would say if they could have a larger plane for the flights between Hong Kong and Sydney this would improve the long haul experience, but I would still recommend this airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by B Brown    (UK)

LHR-HKG-BNE-CNS-HKG-LHR. First time with Cathay. It's a shame they don't do a hot towel service. Leg room was not great (I'm 6ft 5) and my knees touched the seat pocket in front. Fortunately on all legs except one I had an empty seat next to me so I was fine. B777-300ER LHR-HKG and A330-300 HKG-BNE. Both modern planes with comfortable seats with adjustable headrests. Service was very good, with one touch of the call button an attendant was with me within 30 sec and my requests for drinks/snacks were met with a courteous smile. I enjoyed the cup noodles as a snack. Regular water runs through the cabin. Food was fine and there was plenty of it. Entertainment was varied with several full series of tv shows as well as a wide selection of movies which was welcomed on these long flights. There is also a usb socket for charging your phone etc. If you have an iPod you can plug that in, however you'll need the correct plug shame it's not compatible with android etc. Air conditioning was cranked up on all legs so a jumper is definitely needed or you'll freeze!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by A Wong    (Canada)

I have been on 6 flights in the past two years: two on the YYZ-HKG flight, one on the JFK-HKG flight, one on the HKG-KIX flight, one on the NRT-HKG flight and finally, on the HKG-ORD flight. All flights were consistently top- notch and very accommodating. Whenever I called for a steward/stewardess, they were speedy and efficient. Food is good, although there was less hot foods. Overall, I would highly suggest Cathay Pacific to anyone, especially for long-haul transpacific flights.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Iweif Jeh    (Hong Kong)

I flew from Narita Airport with CX 501 and the staff service was fabulous. The beef was very tender and juicy. So overall, it was the best flight and best service of all the other airlines! I strongly recommend this airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Lo Sing Hung    (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong to Narita, B777-300ER. The seat is comfortable and one of the best in the world. Boarding was quick and economy seats were plush and comfy. Cabin crew were excellent as always. People who aren't happy with Economy Class service must have been spoilt by First Class too much.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 November 2013 by D Borillo    (Spain)

NRT-HKG. A330-300. Check-in and boarding very fast and efficient. Full load but crew proactively help pax to sit. Seat a bit narrow but still quite comfortable for a 5 hour flight. Food not good at all. No choice of hot meal, just a chicken with rice and a strange gravy I hardly touched. Crew very friendly and IFE didn't use. Flight back HKG-NRT a few days later a a pretty new 777-300 with the shell seats I found quite spacious and comfortable, there was no one sitting next to me so that helped. The male cabin crew attending my zone was friendly and engaging. This time you could opt for pork or pasta. I chose pasta and must say delicious together with a turkey salad which was very tasty. This time I used the IFE and music selection was good but movies had a too small selection in any other language than English. Overall a very good experience and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 November 2013 by Catherine Watmough    (Australia)

My husband and I recently flew from Melbourne to Rome and returned London to Melbourne arriving yesterday. We were in Economy and the experience was the worst I have had on an International Flight. Two flights were delayed by 3 hours, the first resulted in landing in Milan instead of Rome and then on Alitalia to Rome, arriving several hours late. The seats were horribly uncomfortable, my bottom was numb after a few hours - supposedly their fantastic new shell seats! The fourth flight was on a very old plane, no new seats however the backs did not recline at all. Service was appalling, cold, unfriendly and unhelpful flight attendants. The toilet floors were sticky and wet after a short time, and not cleaned All flights had 5-7 hours between meals with no offer of drinks at all. Our one request for a drink of wine outside of meal times was met with a grudging response and a 15 minute wait. The food was average, the inflight entertainment basic. The only positive was that the check in staff in Melbourne, Milan, London and Hong Kong were friendly and welcoming. Never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 November 2013 by M Reno    (USA)

Have flown 6 USA to Hong Kong round trips over the past 18 months. First time on Cathay Pacific. The economy premium is a great product. I was lured to it by the seat, and by the reputation for great service. They only deliver on the seat. The seat is much nicer than the premium economy seat in any USA-based carrier. By a lot. More legroom, more recline, slightly bigger screen. But the service is marginal. The attendants are SUPER friendly. But they are never around. They huddle in the far back galley, and you need to dodge your way to the back of the plane if you want anything. They make 3 runs through the cabin on a 15 hour flight. I have since read that this is by design. That CP believes that they are offering "privacy" by not coming through the cabin. They seem to want you to ring the call button, and that they will handle your requests with friendly urgency. This approach might be appropriate for domestic Chinese flights. But it just doesn't work with flights to/from America, where we have been conditioned by surly flight attendants to keep our hands off the button except in cases of extreme emergency. I found myself wondering if I preferred the grouchy, but available service of USA- based carriers, or instead preferred the friendly, but absent service of Cathay Pacific attendants. In the end, the seat wins. My observation is that CP really wants to be a great airline, and I think they are sincere in trying. They just need to better understand the markets they serve. Food was ok, not great. Entertainment options were ok, not great. Beverage selection was very poor. Limited choices. Inadequate supply.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 November 2013 by K Taylor    (Australia)

Flew economy Melbourne to Hong Kong trip, to HK was ok but the return was not. Delayed for a couple of hours needed another plane. Service on board was good, staff seem remote, no smiles. I was surprised to see they seem to be using the older A330 's fleet - might need an upgrade. In all I was disappointed.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Sara O'Toole    (Australia)

Recent trip from LHR to HK in PE. Footrest jammed in the up position all the way. Unable to get out of seat without a lot of difficulty. Couldn't even put it down for landing so no chance of brace position if necessary. An all round awful experience. Never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 November 2013 by D Weiss    (USA)

Have flown 4 round trips, all between LAX-HKG-BKK, BKK-HKG-LAX. Both old and new business class seats are great, but regarding to long haul flights between LAX-HKG, the newer one is far better than the old one, but not being as spoiled person, the old one is still excellent. Even on 15hr 30 min flights, it never bored due to excellent food, sleeping on flat bed, and entertainment. These are in 773ER. The regional flights between HKG-BKK, all 773, 772, and AB333 seats are not as big as 773ER, but still really comfortable for short haul flights. All service are excellent!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 October 2013 by Amanda Brown    (Australia)

I am usually a fan of Cathay but they dropped the ball this time. MEL-HKG, Scheduled 00.40 am, take off came and passed before they let us known there was a problem. Kept telling us they would update us in 15 mins, this went on for 2 hours before we received an SMS saying the plane was delayed to 3pm. This saw passengers approach staff at the desk who had no idea what was going on or about the new take off time. Finally they told us the plane needed a part which would be flown in from Brisbane so we would have to go home as there only a few hotel rooms available. After several hours we were given a cab voucher and finally had to leave through immigration and customs all off whom looked really peeved. Left the airport at about 4am to find no taxi's. Melbourne Airport staff made frantic calls to taxi companies. 45 mins later we were on the way home. Up at 11 am to get ready to head back to airport to find an SMS saying the flight was delayed to 10.30 pm that night. Finally boarded to find another problem with plane which thankfully they fixed and off we went. Service on board was fine, PE seats ok with added leg room. Far to tired to care and tried to sleep most of the way. Cathay staff at Melbourne lost the plot when confronted with a problem. Get your act together.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 October 2013 by A Wang    (Australia)

CX565 from Osaka to Hong Kong, 20th Sep 13. This flight stop over is in Taipei. Staff on this flight not very courteous and not very helpful. When we reached Taipei, the crew just hid, they acted as if they had nothing to do with the passenger, cleaners hopped on anto d clean up. A female crew came over to ask whether my child wanted a children's meal. I said there was no need to prepare a children's meal. I also have a baby, I asked if my baby could have the children's meal. After a while, a staff member came over to tell me that because the baby travels for free, they are not supposed to have a meal. I just didn't realise the service from Business to Economy could can be so different.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 October 2013 by C Jamie    (Philippines)

LAX to MNL with my handicapped sister, May 2013, took business class to make sure that my sister was comfortable since she could not move the left side of her body and was in a wheelchair. Although I was told before I booked my flight that I will have to be responsible for transferring my sister to and from the wheelchair to her seat, I was hoping that there would be kind people willing to help me out in case I needed it. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that the airplane we took had some apparatus that would aid the handicapped to transfer to their seats (one was a long board that she could sit on and would slide her to the seat, while the other was a lift sling that needed 3 people to carry her to her seat). The flight attendants were trained to do the manoeuvres although it did seem that not all of them were so familiar with how to use it but they were very eager to help us out. Although a mechanical error occurred during our flight from HKG to MNL and caused us to go back to MNL 20 mins into the flight to change airplanes (meaning repeating the whole process of transferring her from her seat to an inflight wheelchair to a regular wheelchair and then back to an inflight wheelchair and onto her airplane seat again). I was just very thankful that the staff of Cathay Pacific were very accommodating to us and would recommend this to those who have to travel with someone who is handicapped.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 October 2013 by A Willis    (Canada)

HKG-YYZ a few months ago. First of all, got thoroughly duped on their website with their infamously tricky pricing process. When they say 'total price', they still have not added their 15-20% additional carrier fees which they disguise as taxes. After arriving at the airport, I am informed the flight is delayed 30 minutes. Once arriving at the gate, I am then informed they have changed the gate and that the flight is now 45 minutes delayed. When I arrive at the new gate, they have extended the delay by 15 minutes and then a few minutes later, they covertly increase it by 15 minutes. So we're an hour and 15 minutes late out of the gate and the captain comes on and blames the typhoon (which was only a T1 and no other flights were delayed that I could see). The aircraft is tired, and the cabin crew look about the same. After 15 hours of a very uncharming and shameless money grabbing experience (advertisements everywhere - before every video you watch, about 3 of them and about 5 reminders of the duty free items being offered), we arrive at YYZ with the pilots not having made up any time at all, likely to save fuel. The airline is obviously in financial distress (see the latest report) and it's been consistently poorly managed for the last few years. Another legacy carrier to add to the 3-4 star category methinks.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  26 October 2013 by E Edmond    (Australia)

MEL-HKG-AMS on 340-300. Truly terrible. Long Haul from HKG-AMS was 13 hours and was given 1 meal, then 10 hours later we got breakfast which consisted of a sloppy omelette. Sure everyone complains about economy class food, but 10 hours without even a cracker and cheese? I counted 7 hours without even being offered even a glass of water. If I needed a drink, I had to take my water bottle to the rear and ask for it to be filled. The seats - they don't recline at the back, but the bottom of the seat, the part you sit on, slides forward so your knees are pushed into the seat pocket in front, offering no support whatsoever for your lower back. The seat pocket, the elastic edge had lost it spring, so did not hold magazines etc, but just flopped onto your knees. And what is with the pouch that is on the strap of the seat beat, so uncomfortable and bulky. Seat is very hard too and for a 13 hour flight, very bad for circulation. The service was the worst of it, I just don't understand where the staff were during all that time they were absent in the cabin. I'll never fly them again, except I the return ticket for this trip I've already purchased.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Damon Goodman-Anders    (UK)

LHR-HKG-LHR in Premium Economy class. No pre boarding for PE class passengers, once onboard offered pre take-off drinks which included champagne on both flights. Excellent meals, both flights offered Dinner and Breakfast and snacks were available during the flights. The seat is fairly comfortable and I'm 6ft 1in and found the legroom more than ample, in fact on both flights I managed over 8 hours sleep. Lots of choices with entertainment, movies, TV during the flight. I would recommend Cathay Premium Economy, Good value, excellent Service, I think people who write negative reviews about this class are expecting business class but need to remember this is not!

HKG-Bali-HKG in Economy class on 777 (old shell seats). Flight time from HK to Bali changed twice prior to departure from 10.30am to 22.40hrs the evening before. Flight out only about 100 people on board so had plenty of room to spread out, return flight full. Crew very attentive on both legs, meal good and entertainment excellent Only complaint is the 'Shell Seats', I know Cathay are phasing these out and I can understand why, these are not comfortable in the slightest and this flight was only 4.5hrs so I would dread to think what it would be like on a Long haul flight. Legroom for Economy was actually quite good, at 6ft 1in I had no problems evening when I reclined the seat (which slides forward to the seat in front).

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Kevin Towle    (China)

My wife and I flew PVG-HKG-KUL and back between the 28/9 and 6/10 on a variety of aeroplanes, B744, A773, 2 x A333 respectively. We found the website excellent to use (although had problems with payment) and it was great to be able to reserve seats at the time of booking. Check-in was perfectly adequate too. Sadly Cathay's planes are looking a bit ropey: the ones we had must have had an average age of about 17 years so the in-flight entertainment was poor (about six looping channels) and the whole cabin seemed tired. The cabin crew were very professional, but some of the food was iffy. We found it poor that Cathay did not use a jetway to board passengers on the HKG - PVG flight. 300 people on shuttle buses is ridiculous. Overall, they were alright, better than the other Chinese airlines, but nowhere near Malaysian, Singapore or Korean airlines.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 October 2013 by F Maccarthy    (UK)

LHR-HK-Guangzhou return. Smooth flight, friendly staff, superb service overall.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Turino Fuad    (USA)

Recently flown from SFO to HKG and returning flight from HKG to SFO on CX 873 and 872 respectively. I have flown this route many times on their business class. The recent experience confirmed the complaints that I have heard from my peers. CX has definitely moved to cost cutting affecting their most profitability section - the business class customers. During the inflight drink service, the flight crews normally present the drink and a small plate of warm almonds, On both trips, they only offered the drinks and I would have to request for those warm almonds. Selection of food has reduced from 3 to 2. Amenities like salt and pepper that came in the beautiful shakers are removed completely. Upon asking, you are presented with salt and pepper in small plastic container.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Yolanda Makotsvana    (Singapore)

Dismal service on almost all 4 flights during a 2 week period. Singapore - Hong Kong business class with a 16 month old infant - the baby food meal was served after the adults were served so despite my requests my child got his food after 30min of smelling and observing everyone else eating - the meal was suitable for 3 month olds so of course he was tired and no longer interested. Hong Kong - Johannesburg: Cathay lounge personnel were very unhelpful, I requested assistance from the lounge to boarding gate and was told I could get assistance an hour before boarding but not after that as they would be "too busy", so what do I pay a business class ticket for? The inflight meal for my son was served cold! By the time it was warmed up my son was asleep! Johannesburg - Hong Kong, despite my carrying a child no one was there or offered to put my hand luggage away for me, the meal for my child was once again cold, I asked for an extra pillow it never came and staff just seemed to be 'short staffed' or too busy to care. Flight was delayed an hour resulting in my missing my connecting flight to Singapore. Hong Kong - Singapore: 3 hours and a very unhappy toddler later we boarded for Singapore. I had to put my bags away myself and had baby food not fit for my child. The inflight manager did try and offered a kids meal pasta dish and made regular attempts to make sure we were all right. I have flown many times before with all 3 of my children with Singapore Airlines and received far better service in business class. I pay a business class fare expecting a business class service. This was nowhere near the case with Cathay. Extremely disappointing - I cannot in good conscience recommend this airline on these legs to anyone and am very disappointed as I had previously held Cathay Pacific is such high esteem.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  17 October 2013 by Peter Nauli    (Indonesia)

Me, my wife and our 8 month old baby girl recently flew from Jakarta to Hong Kong. It was an Airbus 330 from Jakarta and Boeing 777 coming back from HK, both flights were an excellent experience for all of us. From the starting point at Jakarta airport, we found the level of service of Cathay staff are very helpful, Cleanliness of the plane and toilet and positive attitude of the staff are the reasons I believe I will travel with this airline again in future and will definitely recommend it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 October 2013 by Toni Griffiths    (Australia)

I flew SYD - Hong Kong - Paris return and each time, found the flight to be excellent. Airbus A330-777 - clean, modern planes, friendly efficient service, flights on time, nice food. Let's remember, this is a plane, not a 5 star restaurant. Given that there are 300 people in a fairly restricted space, what else can you expect. Yes, we did have the old 'shell' style seats for one of the legs which weren't that comfy, but overall, I would highly recommend Cathay to anyone. Friends flew Air China and met us at our destination, now there's an airline you need to avoid like the plague, we arrived fresh and happy, they were 6 hours delayed, awful food and no entertainment.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 October 2013 by L Young    (Australia)

My first time flying from Melbourne-Hong Kong on 22 Sep 13 / Hong Kong - Melbourne 4 Oct 13: Paid for the flight 7 months ahead of travel and was told I cannot select my seat until 48 Hrs before flight because it was a special fare. 48 Hrs prior to flying I checked in online hoping to select my seat. Turns out there was no option in seat selection because majority was already allocated and no one can change it - including Cathay Pacific staff. Purchasing special fares from all other airlines 7 months ahead would have given me the option to select my seat ahead of time and not leave me fretting about seats on my return flight. I can understand if this special fare was a last minute sale for seats that did not sell and very close to expiry - but 7 months ahead? My family ended up not being seated together for the return trip back to Melbourne because I was unable to check-in online. My travel agent did not know this rule existed with Cathay Pacific's special fares and was unable to help at all, regardless of all the additional requests in our booking to seat us together and the choice of aisle or window seats. If I was told about this before payment I would have chosen another airline to fly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 October 2013 by B Pavis    (New Zealand)

AKL-HKG and return. A340 both ways. Have not flown this route or airline for many years but had very good memories of past flights, sadly this appeared to be a different airline altogether. Boarding was rather disorganised, seemed to be totally at random. Crew seemed very eager to serve lunch after 1.30pm takeoff, rapidly cleared trays, ordered window shutters closed, then disappeared for rest of flight. Only way to get a drink was to go to end of the aircraft and ask for one. No mid flight water or service was offered. Inflight movie selection was very dated and certainly not current. Old style corded remote. Could put up with all of the above but could not tolerate the seats, the worst seat I have ever used in my entire life, tolerable for 1-2 hours, then agony, fortunately, seat back did not recline into your face, but strange cushion arrangement which allows the seat cushion to move forward, leaving no lower back support and a terrible slouching position. Totally useless, had to ram pillows and blankets behind my back for some meagre support. If I had known how bad this would be I would certainly not have flown this airline. Fortunately I had an aisle seat and could easily get up and walk a little. Meals were usual economy fare, just barely edible but nothing to rave about. Return flight from HKG started with a circus, HK locals, with seats all over the economy section, boarded early and just grabbed seats in pairs, regardless of seat numbers on their tickets. I had booked an aisle seat in row 32, 6 months ago, and boarded almost last on the plane, my seat was long taken by someone whose seat was way back, this rippled all the way through the front of economy and ended with 6 pax stranded at the front of economy with their seats taken, cabin crew refused to move anyone and told us to just get seats that were left. Ended up in a window seat which I had tried so hard to avoid. Cabin crew couldn't seem to care less. Not a great experience all round and then 11 hours with that seat again, never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  8 October 2013 by B Cleary    (USA)

20 Sep 13, ORD-HKG, 777-300 ER. This is usually my route of choice to Hong Kong. CX uses the SAS lounge at O'Hare. Can get a bit cramped, but the offerings are fine. Premium Economy was fine as always. Cheerful FA, food ample and tasty. Good selection of AVOD. On time departure with an early arrival in Hong Kong.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 October 2013 by N Siotto    (UAE)

DXB-MNL via Hong Kong and back in Business Class. At Dubai airport the business class in T1 is the one of British Airways which I repute average. All four routes were served by an A330. I have flown business class with the new herringbone seating configuration. Excellent comfort and good privacy, maybe not as good for keeping an eye on the window for those seating next to it, but those saying you can't I must disagree, I was still able to get a nice view. During the night flights I skipped the meals but must say even on a day flight as short as two hours the meal was good standard. Inflight system is very good and the screen is really wide, with a nice selection of movies. The cabin crew was simply magnificent. Another very positive remark is the cabin temperature. Most airlines keep the inflight climate freezing cold while in all flights with CX the cabin temperature was simply perfect. In conclusion, I booked this flight attracted by a low fare but the value for money is outstanding to say the least. Look forward to travel again hopefully soon with Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 October 2013 by Charles Hamilton    (UK)

I flew business from LHR to HKG and HKG to Melbourne. Boeing 747-400 on LHR to HKG leg was a little long in the tooth but service and food were excellent on both flights. Given the price would definitely recommend and fly with CX again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 October 2013 by A King    (Australia)

Flew Heathrow to Melbourne. It was a pretty terrible experience all round. First flight to HKG was a 747-400. The seats were bizarre, they did not recline but the seat slid forward a little bit, and the support for the bottom of your back is rock hard. Terrible pockets on the seat in front mean if you put anything more than a newspaper in there, the seat pocket is touching your knees. Also, as with all Cathay flights I've been on there was no personal air conditioning control. Food as always was terrible - 2 meals on a 12 hour flight, both of which were not nice at all. Breakfast choice always seems to be an egg based dish or seafood congee. I'd rather just have cereal next time. The dinner is always a choice of an oversalted Asian dish, a vegetarian pasta dish or something else unappetising. Having already flown the opposite route we luckily knew to take snacks on board so we didn't starve. With Qantas / Emirates I usually end up feeling almost overfed, not with Cathay though where you feel like you're in prison. With 2 or 3 hours before landing when breakfast was about to be served my girlfriend noticed that a child on the seat in front had been sick, which had trickled between the seats and gone all over her tracksuit pants which were on the floor in front. We tried to get the cabin crews assistance but they continually ignored us. We ended up just putting them in a bag and then throwing them away. Never again! I'd rather pay an extra $300 to fly Qantas / Emirates than fly with Cathay again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 October 2013 by V Johnson    (Australia)

I travelled from Mumbai to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Sydney. The ticketing/seating on the leg from Hong Kong to Sydney was horrendous! So many people were affected by the poor organisation of the airline. There was a huge bank of people at the desk trying to get seats changed because they could not sit with people they had booked with. Then on the plane itself, people were swapping all over the place. I'm only complaining about seating, which when you are unable to sit with your friend or relative on a long trip, who cares about the rest?

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Edward Poole    (Australia)

Flew Premium Economy from HK to London, in my opinion it is not worth the extra and does not live up to the promise of better food choices and wines etc. One choice of wine, not a choice of several meals but just two. For toilets you have to go back to economy and wait in a queue. Seats were good but not several hundred dollars worth of good. Staff on this flight were good. We got caught up in the Tropical Cyclone Usagi debacle, little information and a useless website. For an airline that says that customer service is a priority, it has let itself down badly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Louis Lin    (Australia)

Flew from Sydney to Hong Kong - very disappointed. The seat is comfortable, but the service was quite poor. Some cabin crews were rude with no smile. The catering was disappointing and the portion was quite small. Won't fly this airline again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by P Elliott    (New Zealand)

Flew AKL to Heathrow via Hong Kong and return. Flew in 3 different aircraft types. Really excellent staff and food. Very nice seat comfort especially 777ER with a space for everything. Had read negative comments about the coffin class on A340-300 but actually found them quite good. A little disappointed in film selection but most of the flights were at night so didn't matter too much. Very happy to recommend business class with Cathay Pacific and would fly with them again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 September 2013 by Adil Mehta    (USA)

The Business class, alas, is not for families and those who want to sit next to each other and talk. It is designed almost exclusively for people traveling by themselves. I have a 3 year old (and he was 2 years old and I had still purchased a separate seat for him), but a child this young needs someone next to him for all the obvious reasons. Unfortunately the designers did not make any allowance for people like myself. What a pity. The staff were nice and helpful, but I will not want to travel in Business class in Cathay again unless I am by myself, which is hardly ever the case.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 September 2013 by Michael A Bogdanovskiy    (Israel)

HKG-TSA-KIX and return. Very nice staff, but its the only good thing that I can say about this flight. In both flights I flew 777 but different cabin types. First time it was old type Economy, seats was ok, very poor entertainment on flight, but in return it was New Economy Class and its terrible, even in 5 hours flights. I don't know what they were thinking when they made seats that do not actually recline!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  16 September 2013 by Andrew Riches    (UAE)

Dubai - Hong Kong - Sydney. I have flown this route with Cathay now 3 times in the last 5 months in the new business class. It takes me an extra six odd hours on this route with the stop over rather than with Qantas direct, however, that's where the negatives stop. Considering the price which is consistently 2000 dollars less expensive return and what I regard as a better product than QF (seats all have aisle access much more privacy etc), it's a no brainer. Cathay every time as the saving/product far out weighs the extra travel time. The inflight service, food and all round package has for me, Has been consistently excellent as well. Will continue with them for all my travel!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 September 2013 by C Goddard    (UK)

I had not flown CX for some time but was massively disappointed. 3 of the 4 business class flights (UK - Hong Kong - Singapore) were in seats that should have been scrapped years ago (747 especially). It was like travelling in an old coffin. The equipment was ancient, I have not seen such poor seats and screens in other airlines for at least ten years. The screen at one time gave a message that Heathrow terminal 5 would be opening in March 2008 and that care should be taken when using Heathrow. This is amazingly poor. The food was more like economy standard than business. The choice of films and other entertainment was limited with very few recent films. The whole experience was not what I expect from a 'quality' airline. The only redeeming factor was that most of the staff were very helpful.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Nick Roberts    (UK)

MNL-HKG-LHR. While the new, reclining, economy seats on its 777s are certainly appreciated, service levels continue to be eroded. Online check-in did not open until 12 hours before the flight - I suspect because I was departing from MNL - which meant that there were hardly any seats available to select on the HKG-LHR flight. Food was generally bad, and of course they ran out of options. Cathay now serves tap water, which would be fine were it not that there was a very bleachy aftertaste in the water served on the flight to London. Cathay seems unable to serve cold drinks. Having recently flown long haul with Singapore Airlines, I would say that there is a vast difference between these two airlines' economy offerings, with Cathay much the worse.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by J Malherbe    (Australia)

Business class, Sydney-Hong Kong-Milan, (points reward ticket). Excellent flights . Seats very comfortable, service superb in all aspects. Would definitely recommend.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Scott Williams    (Australia)

Id originally booked my SYD-LHR flight with Virgin Atlantic. The day before my flight, I was informed that the incoming flight to HKG from LHR had been sent back to LHR due to engine problems. I was then rebooked on Qantas SYD to HKG then Cathay Pacific HKG to LHR. I was upgraded to Business on the SYD-HKG leg then had a 6 hour lay over in HKG. All attempts to get the window seat I had requested met with apologies as the flight was full. I am used to a little more room given the fact that I am spending the extra dollars on the Premium Economy cabin. The configuration was 2-4-2. I was stuck in the middle and as soon as the meal service had ended and the trays collected the whole row in front of my row reclined their seats making it impossible to get out of the seat without disturbing my neighbour. Which meant that for the entire 12 hour flight from HKG to LHR I was only able to get up once during the flight to go to the toilet. It would make more sense to remove an entire row and space the cabin accordingly. I can't imagine how bad the Economy section was. I will never travel Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Jim Ash    (USA)

NRT-HKG, SIN-HKG and HKG-SFO, September 1st, 3rd and 5th respectively. First two flights were in Business Class on an A330 - lots of room, great service and food. Studio C entertainment worked well and flights were on time. HKG-SFO flight was in First Class and on a 747-400. There were 4 passengers in the cabin and the service was excellent. 3 Flight Attendants and I felt like I was in a 5-Star hotel and restaurant. Having flown them before on the 777-300ER in First, I was aware of their service/food etc. but this flight surpassed previous experiences. It is one of those times when you wished it did not have to end. The bed on the 747 and 777-300ER is the best I have experienced. The seat alone at 36 inches wide is enough space for two people. I hope to fly Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by M Vejvar    (Austria)

I booked a flight from Moscow to Hong Kong - it was horrible. The plane was malfunctioning, and instead of getting us off the plane, they left us sitting there for 7 hours. They finally let us off the plane, and sent us to the transit area - without information or water, for 3 hours. Then, they let us wait another 12 hours, at least in the Business Lounge. After the 12 hours, they announced that we would have to wait for another 18 hours to get our flight - that's when we snapped, and they re-booked us with Emirates via Dubai. Cathay lost our luggage that arrived three days later.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Tim Short    (Australia)

Hong Kong - Sydney, Premium Economy. After a pretty poor experience Sydney - Hong Kong earlier in the year I was quite pleased with this flight. Received a champagne after boarding, the business class main course was very nice. Korean member of crew on my aisle was very customer focused. Seats are decent sized and allowed about 5 hours sleep before a nice hot breakfast. Only downsides were limited choice and refilling of drinks and long way and wait for the bathroom.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Erwin Lee    (Canada)

I flew CX 827 from Toronto-Hong Kong originally I was supposed to be on CX 826 but was cancelled due to engine failure. I was rescheduled on the next flight and was given $100 to spend on food at the airport. I have been flying with the airline since 2000 and I enjoy the service, friendly flight attendants, and the flight although the food could use some improvement. I recommend the airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Rich McLafferty    (USA)

Just flew HKG-SFO in Premium Economy. It's ok, nothing special. I am a vegetarian and ordered a special meal. They serve your special meal at least 30 minutes prior to serving the other passengers so it seems quite strange (you're there eating and nobody else is), then you don't get a drink until they serve the other passengers so I was done with my meal and my tray sat there for about 1.5 hours. Did not get any other amenities, they are supposed to give you a small amenity kit but nobody got one on this flight. Not really sure it's worth the extra cost of the ticket. If you're used to business class, premium economy will be a big disappointment in my opinion.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 September 2013 by A Thompson    (New Zealand)

Checked in for my flight at Rome International Airport to Auckland, New Zealand via Hong Kong. Queued to board when a Cathay Pacific hostess said there was a delay, to go have lunch, then return at 1pm. I returned at 1pm. My flight was still not boarding and no staff present. Waited a further 2 hours before any staff were present to answer questions. Told the flight had been delayed until 9am the next morning, to go to the Hilton hotel and those with connecting flights will receive information once there. No explanation for the delay. In the morning we were told that connecting flights would be arranged once we landed at Hong Kong. No boarding gate was given, security would not let us through as our boarding passes were for the day before, Cathay Pacific staff failed to inform them we were coming. Once at the gate we were told of a further delay until 4pm. Told there were no seats on that days flight to Hong Kong. I was informed my connecting flight from Hong Kong to Auckland would be rescheduled and would be available when I landed. This did not happen. Staff at Hong Kong put me on a later flight. I am extremely annoyed at how the situation was handled. I will never fly Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 September 2013 by M Krahl    (Australia)

Just returned from Germany on PE Cathay Pacific. Flew SYD to HKG seated in 30 D and E. Priority Check In and Boarding in Sydney, plenty of Legroom (Bulkhead Seat). Champagne as promised, good Meal, good Seat Comfort except short Seat Base for good under thigh support. Footrest useless, only suitable for very short people, used Pillow on lower part of Legrest instead. HKG to FRA seated in 31 D and E. No Priority Boarding, found out on return leg that we could have boarded with Business and First (no Announcements). Less Legroom because Bulkhead was closer, but still plenty of room. PE Cabin had their own toilet, unlike previous Flight where we had to share Economy Toilet. Same Seats, Champagne and good Food. On Return, Priority Check in and Boarding in Frankfurt, same Seats as previously. Food was worse and Service less friendly. On the last leg from HKG to SYD not as attentive as on the way over. All up good Product, but could be improved in some Areas.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 August 2013 by R Adams    (Australia)

I just flew for the first time with Cathay Pacific Premium Economy and was very disappointed. Plastic glasses, slanted TV screens in first row, thin blankets, extremely mediocre food even for the "Hong Kong chef special", only one wine choice for either white or red and red wine was freezing cold. The service was very inattentive - no refills on wine, for example. Poor wine quality. Uncomfortable seats and very weak selection of movies. Also, lots of confusion at boarding whether premium economy can board with business or just economy. Compare this to Qantas premium economy: nice food on a white tablecloth with real plates and real glasses. good selection of wines. thick blanket. attentive service-you feel almost like business class. comfortable and attractive seats. How does Cathay get a good reputation?

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  27 August 2013 by J Munro    (New Zealand)

Was a trip of 2 halves. Flew out on July 18 and the service from AKL-HKG-LHR was amazing, great food, attentive staff, comfortable seats and excellent inflight entertainment. Flew home on 18 August and what a difference. Food was average and the crew disappeared for most of the flight. In addition the reclining seats were frustrating and annoying.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 August 2013 by Edwin Yuen    (USA)

CX872, Aug 18. I just got back from a trip from Hong Kong to San Francisco in economy Plus. There is no priority boarding like they advertise. You will board with the regular economy class. My TV monitor did not work.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 August 2013 by V Carslake    (Australia)

Flown 7 Cathay flights in 2 weeks. Can't say I love them. The new shell seats are the most uncomfortable seats ever! Food very average, especially as I ordered vegetarian meals. Bland and carb filled. Terrible service at the airport in HK. Flew Colombo-Singapore-HKG, with a 7 hour stopover before MEL. On their website it says those with a transit time of over 4 hours can access their lounges. Upon arriving at one of them we were abruptly told no, this is for business class and first class or members only. Won't fly them again. They were on time though.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  15 August 2013 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

Sydney to HKG, premium economy. Flight cancelled by SMS due to typhoon. Struggled to contact Sydney office, ended up buying new ticket myself. PE class very empty and business class very empty too , even though I asked for upgrades due to extra cost and inconvenience. Seats etc good, not much cabin presence as lights turned off. Food ok but really just a slight step up from economy. Think pricing wrong for this class as cabin always empty or filled on upgrades. Contacting CX while in Australia hard as phone line just went dead.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  15 August 2013 by Kayla Seet    (Singapore)

Hong Kong to Singapore on CX711 on 8 August 2013. The seats were narrow with no room space to straighten legs. Worse when the passenger in front row reclines their seat. Food is terrible, tasteless and meatless. Service is slow. Requested warm water and they took ages to serve it. Inflight entertainment is also a disappointment and during my return flight, my inflight entertainment is faulty and there was no entertainment for me throughout my entire journey. I am sorry to say that in general, budget flights have better service, quality and seats.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 August 2013 by C Lindsay    (Hong Kong)

Just returned to HK from JFK on CX 831. As usual, CX service, food, condition of the cabin, etc. were all top notch and we had a great flight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 August 2013 by Anthony Windsor    (China)

Shanghai to Taipei via HK. The boarding process was normal, the service is given on family name terms. The food is nice looking but the quantity is not enough. FAs walk around the cabin every 3 minutes asking whether you need anything. They are nice and talkative. Felt at home on board.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 August 2013 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

HKG to Sydney. Flight was on Airmiles. Lounge lovely as boarding, boarding fine and economy cabin was clean and fresh. Great crew throughout, really helpful. Food nice all thought and the AVOD is excellent. PE class almost empty, asked if I could pay for upgrade, told no. Excellent Cathay service.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2013 by Graham Andrew    (UK)

I flew CP from Seoul to Narita, Japan last year in 1st class. Staff were exceptionally solicitous and almost desperate to help in any way they could. Everyone was very polite. Cabin was spotlessly clean and very well- appointed. Food was delicious. Service was superb. Cannot fault it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2013 by L Muscat    (Australia)

I have just got back to Melbourne from Rome via Hong Kong flying and I was very disappointed. The food was terrible, myself, my husband and our son could hardly eat any of the meals and when asked if they had any crackers they said the only snack they can offer is peanuts or noodles. Flight CX929 from Rome to Hong Kong, after pressing my button for assistance and waiting over 45 mins I noticed people walking to the back of the plane and coming back with drinks? A fellow passenger informed me there was only one stewardess on duty and we had to get the drinks ourselves. As to the snacks offered, you can imagine my surprise when my husband came to me and offered chocolate bars. He said the stewardess offered them to him. I must however say that our flight from HK to Melbourne was nothing like this, there were lots of staff on duty, except food was just as terrible and snacks offered were peanuts and noodles.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 August 2013 by Jeremy Chan    (Hong Kong)

CX 506 from HKG to KIX on 31/7, and CX 567 return on 7/8. Flew a 22-year old B747-400 on the first flight. Shell seat was not a problem for me. Food (pasta) was good, and a wide-selection of inflight entertainment. Staff were really mediocre, not outstanding. Flew on a 10-year old A330-300 on the return flight. Seat was fine, although quite narrow. Old inflight entertainment system, and only a few channels to choose from. Food was edible. Staff were not impressive, and I should say, definitely below Cathay Pacific standard for both flights. Ground staff at Hong Kong International Airport were fair, but the check-in staff at Kansai International Airport was excellent and helpful.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by H Feather    (UK)

BKK-HKG. Took the 1.20am Thursday July 26, CX706 red-eye from BKK-HKG. Plane took off about 2am. I took a chance and didn't bother to book the emergency exit seat and it paid off as there was plenty of room for me to lay out across the 3 seats in the centre section. Plane had the new economy seating and much more comfortable than the old shell seats. Leg room much better than the hopeless alternative on Thai Air. Staff as usual helpful and attentive. Silly little snack packs provided but at that time of the morning not too bothered. Overall pleasant flight.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Sylvia Goddard    (UK)

AKL to Hong Kong [partial return of my July journey]. Airbus 340/300 with the coffin like seats I have commented on before. I struggle to see why Cathay are a 5* airline. Again I find the service to be OK but just OK. I missed out on a pre take off drink because no one noticed I had arrived and sat down. After that the service is functional but not pro active. You needed to get up and ask for anything and again, I saw no cabin walk through. This was a 12 hour mid day flight so they served lunch and then after 6 hours [with 6 to go] they served dinner which very few wanted [most were asleep] and then after the main course that was it - nothing more. Strange. The next part of the journey home is later today, this will be the new business class on the Boeing 777. Overall, if the price was very good then I would use them again, but other far east and middle east airlines are ahead of the game. Not overly impressed, mainly because of the lack of service.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by S Goddard    (UK)

The last leg of my 4 flights (LHR-AKL via Hong Kong return) for those of you that have been following me. Really just the same comments. The new business class seat on the 777 is brilliant and very much ahead of other airlines especially with the 1x2x1 seating. Great comfort, storage and privacy, also great to have two biz cabins one with only 2 rows in (always get that one if you can). However, the service on the ground and in the air still seems just 'OK' and leaves me pondering on how they maintain their 5* rating. Food was very good but lack of service in the cabin makes me think that I will always only fly them again for a very good price and the seat so long as I can get the window one. Other Middle East and Far East airlines offer a better overall product for a premium passenger.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by S Venkat    (USA)

Recently completed a round trip on SFO-HKG-MAA sector in Premium Economy. Outbound was on 777 and return on 747. Outbound we managed to get front row seats which were extremely comfortable, roomy. Return we had two seats in the front and two in back but we swapped with fellow passengers so all four of us sat in the last row. The front row seats had much less room than 777. If you want front row seats make sure you get the side rows and not the center. In 777 it makes no difference as there is a ton of room in both center and side row seats. Food is not bad for Indian vegetarian. Toiletry bag is of inferior quality compared to Emirates Economy and SQ economy. CX offers the shortest connection to MAA from west coast. Flying time of roughly 13 hours to HKG and 12 hours return to SFO. HKG to MAA and return is roughly 5 hours. Service is pretty decent although SQ rates higher IMHO. Premium Economy is worth if you get front row seats otherwise not sure unless you are unable to fit comfortably in Economy seats.

Earlier comments for Cathay Pacific have been archived (ie. prior to the date of last comment above).

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.