Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by S Goddard    (UK)

The last leg of my 4 flights (LHR-AKL via Hong Kong return) for those of you that have been following me. Really just the same comments. The new business class seat on the 777 is brilliant and very much ahead of other airlines especially with the 1x2x1 seating. Great comfort, storage and privacy, also great to have two biz cabins one with only 2 rows in (always get that one if you can). However, the service on the ground and in the air still seems just 'OK' and leaves me pondering on how they maintain their 5* rating. Food was very good but lack of service in the cabin makes me think that I will always only fly them again for a very good price and the seat so long as I can get the window one. Other Middle East and Far East airlines offer a better overall product for a premium passenger.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by S Venkat    (USA)

Recently completed a round trip on SFO-HKG-MAA sector in Premium Economy. Outbound was on 777 and return on 747. Outbound we managed to get front row seats which were extremely comfortable, roomy. Return we had two seats in the front and two in back but we swapped with fellow passengers so all four of us sat in the last row. The front row seats had much less room than 777. If you want front row seats make sure you get the side rows and not the center. In 777 it makes no difference as there is a ton of room in both center and side row seats. Food is not bad for Indian vegetarian. Toiletry bag is of inferior quality compared to Emirates Economy and SQ economy. CX offers the shortest connection to MAA from west coast. Flying time of roughly 13 hours to HKG and 12 hours return to SFO. HKG to MAA and return is roughly 5 hours. Service is pretty decent although SQ rates higher IMHO. Premium Economy is worth if you get front row seats otherwise not sure unless you are unable to fit comfortably in Economy seats.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 August 2013 by S Fuller    (USA)

JFK-HKG direct, a 16.00 flight was right on time. I booked with American Airlines (code share) for a cheaper price, but Cathay was great about seat assignment and caring for my infant child. AVOD was great - many movies. Food was good - not great - and price was excellent. Will fly Cathay again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 August 2013 by B Reeson    (Australia)

Sydney to Amsterdam in June/July. Staff on the ground were friendly and helpful but on the flight less so. It felt as though you were hassling them if you asked for assistance or a drink. The seats in the plane we had between Hong Kong and Amsterdam were the least comfortable I've ever had on a flight. They had really hard, plastic back supports and were incapable of reclining (the bottom half of the chair slid forward, which sort of forced you into a slumped position). On the other leg of the journey the chairs reclined and were much more comfortable. The selection of entertainment was okay, though a little bit more limited than some other airlines. The food was hit and miss and served pretty much immediately after take of and prior to landing.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 August 2013 by Louise Naughton    (Australia)

Online check in was misleading - advised that could only process one passenger at a time making me think I would run the risk of not getting seats together. When I checked in for Hong Kong to London I was advised that I could not sit with my sister even though the booking was together. It baffles me that the default arrangement is not so that people that have booked together would be seated together. Had we been mother and child I wonder what Cathay Pacific would have done. Constant queuing. Huge queues just for luggage drop, queues every time to get on and off the plane. A 2 hour delay from Hong Kong, waiting an hour on the plane and being advised would only be 10-14 minutes, then having to queue for landing. Landing so far away from the airport that we had to get a bus to the main terminal.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 August 2013 by A Sanghvi    (UK)

LHR-HKG-LHR. On route, was the 747. This was an old plane, not very comfortable. Seats don't recline and only 1 meal and a small snack for 12 hours. Not over impressive. IFE was good and service was good. Return was on a 777-300 ER which was better. Seat still not very comfortable and food was terrible. Service was ok - not brilliant.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 August 2013 by S Muhar    (Australia)

Hong Kong to Melbourne,28th July 2013. The actual flights are good. Clean seats, food that feels like you are actually eating real food, not plane food and pleasant staff, but terrible customer service on the ground in Hong Kong. We had a connecting flight that we had to pick up tickets for, we were told to come back an hour before the flight because there was a confusion with seats, we came back at this time and then were told 'would you like to volunteer to take tomorrow's flight'? (an hour before we were set to leave!) because they had overbooked. We said, no, they told us to wait. It was 20 minutes before the flight that we approached them because they did not come to us again and finally got our seats. Even though we had booked seats months ago, we got seated separately.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 July 2013 by S Howard    (UK)

Arrived from Cebu to HK and for my next stage of my flight back to London. I knew I had a 4 hour turnaround, once through the internal check at HK I went to the Cabin lounge and decided not to check out other lounges as I will be flying back again in the future. Not bad but still not quite as good as upper class Virgin lounge in London. The usual standard of Business class I wont go into details as it is very good, however, I hadn't realised it was supper on my flight and I thought it would be dinner as I knew there would be a vegetarian option, so was disappointed but fortunately the stewardess bent over backward to let me choose and mix, nice one. For the first time I have managed to sleep for 8 hours, it goes to show how comfortable the bed are again nice one.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 July 2013 by S Howard    (UK)

My flight from Cebu to HKG was a much newer plane and the latest business class seats, so much better. The lounge at Cebu Airport wasn't that bad, kind of surprise actually. All in all a much nicer experience. However, this is my fourth trip from Cebu to HK and for some reason the inflight entertainment wasn't very good, the same as the last three times.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 July 2013 by Ng Sunny    (Hong Kong)

From Hong Kong to Paris. Very comfortable and relaxing journey. Best inflight entertainment! Lots of movies and games. The meals were delicious. Friendly staff. Provided lots of snacks like cup noodles and apples! Nice juice. Only problems was that it was a bit hot. But me a safe and pleasant journey.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 July 2013 by R Oussalah    (Taiwan)

TPE-HKG Business class B777. Flight was on time, check in was efficient and easy. The food on this short flight is mediocre 9 times out of 10 but it is a short flight. The flight attendants are always professional and pleasant but on this flight, it was my birthday and they all came by my seat to wish me a happy birthday and I received a nice box of Peninsula chocolates. I like to fly CX more than some other more luxurious airlines because the service with CX is more or less constant in quality on the high end. With other airlines such as dominant middle eastern airlines, the luxury level is much higher but differs from flight to flight to the point of being really bad on some. CX stays on top of my list.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 July 2013 by A Dobbo    (Australia)

Flights were efficient and on time. Flight attendants were generally efficient but bordering on officious. Even though the legs were in Business Class, Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways economy service exceeds Cathay's Business Class service. Food was of an excellent standard, although my travelling partner's dinner meal was overlooked on one leg. Drink service on the Milan to Hong Kong leg was on the tight side. On all legs of the trip, the FA's seem to do their thing of getting out the food and an offering of drinks then making themselves scarce. I agree that can be a good thing but service to a point of indifference is another matter. They would also close the blinds between the business class areas to the galley and toilets. The seats were comfortable and aircraft (330 and 777) clean. Certainly not the worst airline I've flown with but disappointing and Cathay will be down the list on future flights for me.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 July 2013 by Barbara Chen    (New Zealand)

Auckland via Hong Kong to London. Outbound flight delayed just under 1 hour. Airbus was not comfortable at all and a large group of young people became noisy and excitable. The cabin crew were not very friendly and service was robotic. My big gripe though relates to the awful seats. From Hong Kong to London the service was a bit better but the seats were again uncomfortable. It took ages for the luggage to come through at Heathrow.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 July 2013 by D Ani    (Hong Kong)

I am an Asia Miles member and frequently use Cathay Pacific for my Asia and long-haul flying while on work trips. However in my recent trips with my one-year old son, I have sadly found the crew as well as the check-in staff to be very unhelpful and largely lacking in being child-sensitive. In my recent flights to Bali and then to Mumbai from HK, I was traveling business class while my partner and son were in premium economy. I decided to give up my business class seat so I could sit with my family. However to my surprise the check-in staff showed no interest in helping me 'downgrade' and asked me to manage it on my own after boarding. On-board, the crew serving premium economy also did not show the slightest inclination in either serving me with my requested food (vegetarian) and were even reluctant to share an extra bottle of water. What was most jarring was their apathy in dealing with a couple and a infant traveling with them - they seemed more interested in keeping us quiet and in our seats the whole time! Since this happened on 3 flights in a 2-week period, I felt obliged to post this review.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 July 2013 by A Wood    (Australia)

Flight Hong Kong to Melbourne, 18 July 2013 at 1020. Happy with front row seat (which from memory I may have paid more for plus booking very early) enabled me to stretch my legs and do exercises in front which is important as I have back/leg joint illness. Seat comfort OK -I used a pillow provided to support my lumbar back. Like the mobile head rest which has mobile wings and up/down. Good choice of entertainment. For some reason I was hungry about 3 hours after the meal -and fight attendant supplied nuts/cookies as a stop gap until next meal -much appreciated. Had a moment of fright towards end of flight where plane dropped suddenly, children screaming etc. I don't recall any announcements by the pilot but perhaps I was distracted. Turbulence coming into Melbourne but aircraft seemed very well controlled with another excellent smooth landing.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 July 2013 by A Wood    (Australia)

Flight 21/5/2013, 0740, Melbourne to Hong Kong. Pleasant experience: food good, seat comfort satisfactory. I had a front row seat (booked very early, and from memory possibly paid more for choice of seat) which was very important as I have back and leg joint ailments. Flight was smooth, with 5/5 take-off and landings. Would be nice if seats could have a lumbar support option -but hey -it's economy. I used the small cushion provided. My partner liked his seat. Service was as to be expected in economy -satisfactory but not indulgent.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 July 2013 by Stephanie Moro    (New Zealand)

Auckland to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Milan, return fights from Paris. Well I was very disappointed with the seat comfort on the Airbus, there is almost no padding on the seats which feel like seating on concrete. The entertainment is one of the worst I've experienced, there were the same movies playing on all the flights so after doing 4 flights of 12 hrs each there is not much to watch - very poor! Very disappointing.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 July 2013 by Richard Lee    (Malaysia)

KUL-HKG-TPE. The food was above average but the inflight entertainment was up to date. Very inconsistent, the flight to TPE was terrible, however the returning flight was good.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  16 July 2013 by William Shi    (Australia)

We were on board CX252 from London to Brisbane via Hong Kong. First our flight got cancelled due to malfunctioning of the flight's air conditioning system. We were then sent to an airport hotel for one night. Told that alternative flight would be arranged and we would be notified the next morning. Received no notice whatsoever. We then had to rush to the airport and queued for about 2 hours only to be told that to fly with Cathay on another flight would be 2 days later. We ended up flying with Qantas to Melbourne via Dubai. When we arrive at Melbourne, one of our luggage was missing.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  16 July 2013 by G A Watson    (Australia)

We flew MEL - HKG going out and it was ok in all areas, return was HKG - MEL on CX163, I had picked a daytime flight purposely but an hour after take off the cabin staff where closing shades and trying to get everyone asleep - very annoying as I wanted to read and lookout. Cabin staff disappeared until they attempted to serve dinner 57 mins out of touch down, no coffee or tea service and they where running in the aisles to get trays away and done with. Very poor cabin service and attitudes. Never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  16 July 2013 by Heather Hayden    (UK)

I have flown Cathay twice in the past 6 months economy. On all 4 flights the temperature on the plane was unbearably cold, people were sitting through a 12 hour and 9 hour journey with hats and coats on. Complaining to staff was waste of time. The level of service and friendliness has plummeted compared to many flights I have been on in the past 8 years when my daughter lived In Hong Kong and I visited often, since then I have been flying to Australia but will seriously consider other airlines for my trip next year.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  15 July 2013 by J Short    (USA)

ORD-HKG was an absolute pleasure of a nearly 16 hour flight. Staff was very personable, attentive, and friendly. The seats were very spacious, private, and allowed me to sleep solid for at least seven hours. The catering was excellent, and I really enjoyed their wine selection on-board. IFE was StudioCX, enough said. Overall, this is the best long-haul flight, and I can't believe I was actually looking forward to the return flight after this great experience.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  15 July 2013 by Aliff Faisal    (Malaysia)

CX 204, from Moscow to Hong Kong, delayed for 3 hours. Stone like seats, rude stewardess. The Muslim meal I requested was OK. CX 729 Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur, delayed for 2 hours more. I was very disappointed with my experience. Not in the same level if compared with Qatar, Emirates, or Etihad. Not recommended unless you want to take their business class seat. I would never consider flying Cathay again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 July 2013 by S Goddard    (UK)

LHR to AKL via a 2 night stopover in Hong Kong. London to Hong Kong was the new business class seat in the 777. I had 11k [window] and it was very private and right behind the First Class. An excellent seat and very good bed. I slept for hours on this night flight. Hong Kong to Auckland was the A340, this had to so called 'coffin seats' and they are aptly named. No where at all to put anything, absolutely no where. Yes they are narrow and with high sides but there was max privacy especially as I was in the single row with the barrier between me and the next row. Overall, not that bad for a night flight but the test will come on the return leg as it is a day flight and it is almost impossible to see out of the window. Cabin service was OK but just OK and nothing special. Overall the crew seemed disorganised. They disappeared for hours and I didn't see any walk through. Entertainment was not touch screen but was OK, plenty to keep me happy. Overall, not sure it was a 5* experience as I think Etihad and Emirates are better but is was very OK all that said. The return leg is early Aug.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 July 2013 by J Phan    (USA)

CX 883, from LAX to Hong Kong, June 9 2013. CX882, from Hong Kong to LAX, June 26 2013. I have been loyal to and flown with Cathay Pacific numerous times in the past for my trips from the USA to Asia, however, I was very disappointed with my experience during my past vacation. Cathay Pacific used to have an excellent reputation for service and inflight comfort/entertainment. They have definitely downgraded. They seemed understaffed. After we finished with our meals it took the attendants a very long time to collect our garbage. My daughter had a dysfunctional inflight entertainment TV, the attendants kept trying to reset the television. I understand that the attendants had nothing to do with the technical difficulties, but they had a bad attitude. Food was mediocre, the amenities they used to have in the past such as eye masks, toothbrushes, foot-warmers, etc. no longer exist. The most frustrating part of the trip was our plane was delayed 3 hours. After everyone boarded, we were suddenly informed that there was something wrong with the aircraft. Instead of allowing us to shop and walk around the airport, we were cramped inside a plane for 3 hours. The in-flight entertainment system wasn't working yet so we were sitting doing nothing. Overall, this past flight experience with Cathay Pacific has definitely been discouraging and disappointing. This is not the Cathay I remember flying with.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 July 2013 by G Alexander    (Australia)

SYD-CDG-SYD on June 21, returning on July 4. Very impressed with the CX product, from the seats, to IFE, customer service (which was brilliant, especially on CDG-HKG-SYD legs). It was charming, without being familiar but more relaxed than some Asian airlines. From booking, to boarding, to the flight itself, it was excellent. I had window seats, which were private and comfortable. Business class seats work well, although on the HKG-CDG leg, the seat was a bit worn, and at times squeaky. Cabin was very clean and well maintained overall. Food delivered in style and with lots of information and patience. Wine selection was not huge but sufficient and of an excellent quality, as was the champagne. Snacks offered during down times on the flight and FAs were more than happy to oblige. IFE systems were very good, esp. the touchscreen on A330-300. The variety was very good although they could have had more recent release films. The lounges were all good, especially at CDG and The Pier near Gate 65 in HK. Overall, I am really pleased I changed to CX for this trip.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 July 2013 by Steven Cao    (China)

PVG-HKG return with refurbished B777, (PVG-HKG) and very old A330 (HKG-PVG), PVG-HKG delayed 1 hr due to PVG airport air-traffic control, HKG-PVG delayed 4 hrs (CX360 on Jul 5) but it was beyond CX's control, HKD75 voucher was given at HKG airport, information was updated frequently. Cabin crew very friendly and helpful, food and drinks were very nice. Will definitely fly CX again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 July 2013 by Ray Tang    (Malaysia)

HKG-ORD on way in and SFO-HKG on way back on 777-300ER in business class. Everything I expected from CX service, personalized greeting, seats are still comfortable, great entertainment and sleep quality. Having flown CX for over 10 years, product offering has improved. However main food quality offering seems to have deteriorated, the breads, salads were fine, just the main course that was disappointing, both main meals on the ORD leg! So much so I gave up on main meal and asked them to replace it with their ever excellent Sui-gow noodles. Why doesn't CX make it a main dish instead of a snack?

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 July 2013 by H Devins    (Singapore)

Hong Kong to Singapore on CX711. Plane was a last min change from a 773 to a 772, which altered the seating arrangements without any prior notice. However, the actual product between the two aircraft's are the same. Inflight entertainment was appalling without AVOD and some channels were simply black screens. Moreover, the screens were small and fuzzy. Flight ran out of newspapers by the time I boarded the aircraft. Meal portion was small without a proper appetizer and no menus were given. No hot towels offered. Lavatory did not have toothbrushes and combs. The only plus about the flight was polite and nice cabin crew. Legroom on regional product is poor when the person in front reclines. Having flown Singapore Airlines on this sector, Cathay Pacific is a class below SQ with SQ offering better seats, IFE, food, and cabin service. When booking this sector try and book the flight operated by the 77W, which has the new long haul product.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 July 2013 by S Howard    (UK)

Since my last report (economy seat section in April) I had to fly with Cathay Pacific again to get to my destination, however, there was no way I was flying in economy again (Boeing 747) due to my back problems and this time I made sure my aircraft was the newer Boeing 777. I arrived at Heathrow Airport early to check in my two pieces of luggage and proceed to the lounge, which was quite good but not as good as upper class Virgin Airways lounge. Boarding was quick and efficient, however, I didn't like the idea of economy passenger walking pass me to get to their seats as I wanted total privacy. I quickly settled to my seat and had a complementary glass of champagne. We took off on time and was looking forward to my comfortable flight. My evening meal arrived and it was excellent. Watched a couple of films and then went to sleep. After breakfast we arrived in HK 20 minutes early.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 July 2013 by S Howard    (UK)

I flew from HK to Cebu via Airbus (not sure what model it was). Quite disappointed with the Wing lounge, as I felt it wasn't that good, no western hot food, and a long way from my gate and quite hard to find too. The business class seats was of the old style and did not recline and to my surprise not that comfortable either, was a little bit disappointed, but the food and service was very good. The TV was shockingly small and didn't work properly either.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 July 2013 by Gael Dufoyet    (France)

CDG-HKG-CDG. Despite the lounge being not new anymore, the general condition was up kept and food offerings improved. Very busy though with a mix of Cathay and British Airways passengers for the 13.00 departure. First class on the way out was of the usual high quality though the food seems to be the same to the previous month. On the return, had to change to a day earlier and no first class seat was available and put on standby but their staff in Hong Kong were efficient and sorted out my ticket in less than 5 minutes. At the end only a business class seat became available on the flight operated by an airbus. Having not tried the fishbone seat for almost a year since they pulled out the 747s on Paris, it was a nice surprise. Food was better, the midnight light meal option was very good though I ask how light it is with 5 tapas, a soup and a bowl of berries. Slept a full 7 hours, woke up to the smell of croissant cooking and refreshed upon arrival in Paris.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 July 2013 by K Ronald    (South Korea)

Took ICN-TPE return trip with CX. Overall, it was not bad, with the excellent return trip schedule from ICN, and their hardware product (e.g - inflight entertainment) was good for short-haul flight even though it wasn't their new product. However, the problem for my CX flights considering their 5-star statue was the embarrassingly underwhelming service. Verdict - In summary, at least for economy class, 5-star hardware product, but 3-star service level.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 July 2013 by Anu Gunasekera    (Canada)

CMB-BKK on CX700. No hot towels, no beverage service. Crew hand over boxed dinner packs, and box juice packs. only one choice, if you don't eat pork, you have no other choice. Felt like I was on a budget carrier. Crew not friendly at all. Disappointment.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 July 2013 by Yu Ziyi    (China)

PEK-SIN via HKG round trip on economy class. PEK-HKG flight operated by a brand new A330-300 and HKG-SIN-HKG round trip operated using B777-300. Check-in was smooth and the notifly service informed us of any updates regarding the flights. Priority boarding offered to all Marco Polo Club members so that I was able to avoid the long queue. Staff very helpful both on the ground and in the air. Inflight service was also good. Flight attendants smiled and answered our questions nicely. The new economy seats were comfortable with enough leg room although I still prefer their shell seats. Food was good to economy standard, and the inflight entertainment, StudioCX, was fantastic. Transfer at HKG was smooth. SIN-HKG was upgraded to business. The new regional business cabin was impressive with welcome smiles, dedicated services, large seats, delicious meals, detailed designs for conveniences such as shelves to place tablets and storage bags for keys and phones, etc. Cathay was still keeping a high standard for air travelling and reasonable fare.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 June 2013 by L Leechuy    (USA)

HKG-LAX was pleasant enough with reasonably comfortable seats and a stellar IFE that was easily the highlight of the flight. The food was just average but I appreciated the availability of yours-for-the-asking snacks of small sandwiches and cup noodles which I forgot to try. Service was good, and the frequent offerings of water was very much appreciated - but the lack of enthusiasm/warmth prevented me from giving it an above average rating.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  26 June 2013 by Ruth Murray    (UK)

Extremely disappointed in the Premium Economy service I received on this flight. At a price tag almost 3 times that of Economy I expected something a bit special but it certainly isn't what I got. Apart from the slightly wider seats (which were actually rather uncomfortable anyway), the priority check-in and the quieter cabin, I really couldn't see much difference between Premium and ordinary Economy class. No special attention shown to passengers or any service over and above what one expects in Economy class. (I have flown Economy between Australia and the UK every year for the past 20 years with all the major airlines, so have considerable experience of what one should expect in terms of service). In fact, not only was Cathay's service not special, it was definitely below par. I pressed the call button several times during the flight and had to wait a considerable time before being attended to. Even then I ended up having to flag a staff member down as no one had bothered to come by. The meal service was also quite slow on each occasion I had to wait about half an hour with an empty tray on my table before it was collected. Generally the seat comfort was poor. The buttons to recline the seat and to put up the screen were very stiff and hard to use. All up very poor value for money. I would never consider flying with Cathay again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  24 June 2013 by H Devins    (Singapore)

CX690. Plane was well kept with the new long haul economy class seat on a 77W. Seats were comfortable, albeit no pillows and blankets were provided. However it is not on par with other 5 star airlines, namely Singapore Airlines for the SIN-HKG run. No hot towels, no toothbrush/toothpaste/comb etc in lavatory, small selection of newspaper, and smaller meal portions. However the crew, for the most part, was nice, albeit one of the crew seemed rather uninterested when passengers were disembarking. However, given it's competitive price (almost the same as flying a budget airline and much cheaper than Singapore Airlines) it is a value for money.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 June 2013 by K Gyaltshen    (USA)

HKG to LAX! The flight attendants were really nice and do the best at what they do! The seat was very comfortable and the recline was great, the staff did things before I even asked and was able to give me more ice cream. The food was very tasty, but they should have a dinner added on that flight. The IFE had a wide variety of movies and TV shows, and kept me entertained! I hope to fly Cathay again and they have kept the same which is great!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 June 2013 by I George    (Australia)

BNE-HKG-LHR and return economy class. Seats on older planes not as comfortable but still ok. All flights were good and on time. Service was good on all except last leg from HKG-BNE where staff were constantly running their carts into the seat and were slow to respond to requests. HKG-LHR flight attendants responded to requests and always had a smile.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 June 2013 by J Curtain    (Australia)

13 June. Ho Chi Minh City to Hong Kong, 13 May. Very pleasant flight. Very good IFE for such a short flight. The meal was not large, but quite OK for a flight of about 2 hours. Very nice wine as well. The staff (with one exception) were very pleasant and helpful. I was impressed with the way one of the staff members helped an elderly man.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 June 2013 by Azimeer Manaf    (Malaysia)

KUL-PUS (via HK). KL - HK was operated by CX while the HK-PUS was operated by Dragonair. The new economy class seat on CX was comfortable and was much better than the old design. The IFE was responsive and the selection was impressive, more than one to keep one entertained even on long flights. The FA were very courteous and the Leading Stewardess personally came over to apologise for the unavailability of the pre-selected meals. PUS-HK flight was delayed for over 3 hours due to aircraft malfunction and as a result missed the connecting flight to KUL. The rep from CX was waiting at the aircraft gate with replacement boarding pass for the next available flight with a HKD80 meal voucher.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 June 2013 by Morris Jones    (New Zealand)

4 adults and 2 children booked as and intended to fly together from Auckland to Rome. Unfortunately this was not to be. My wife and I were separated from the rest of our family on the first leg to HK then on the second leg we again were not only separated from the others but also my wife and I were designated to sit in seats separate from each other. Desk and cabin staff were not very helpful. I kicked up a stink on the fact that my wife and I were to sit separately from each other and this was eventually rectified from sustained pressure from us. Staff were not interested that we were separated from the rest of our family on each leg and therefore were not able to help with their young children. On our daughter's family return flight from England their 9mth son was not on the flight schedule despite their having an E-ticket confirming he was and was booked. Staff were not helpful in arranging his travel and being able to be on that flight. Eventually he was allowed on. Seats are hard and not particularly comfortable. Food was very good. This experience has regrettably put us off future flights on Cathay Pacific.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 June 2013 by Adrian Thomas    (Australia)

May-June 2013 into Europe. Perth - Hong Kong leg was possibly the best of the 4 legs we undertook closely followed by the Hong Kong - London leg. No complaints on these legs, seating was as requested at the front of the Economy section and on the bulkhead which gave us additional legroom. Seats were not overly comfortable. Staff were friendly enough, however service was an issue. Having served meals they retreated and weren't seen again until prior to landing. Food was nothing exceptional. Hong Kong - London leg, the staff after serving dinner turned out the lights which enabled us to get several hours sleep. The one downside to this was that other passengers sought to use the legroom we had as a thoroughfare for their rounds of the cabin. Return legs were Milan - Hong Kong and Hong Kong - Perth with a 3 day stopover in Hong Kong. Problems at Milan upon check in, the seats we had requested had been re-assigned. Flight was late departing, staff dis-organised and this was evident at mealtimes. Last leg Hong Kong - Perth was similar to the previous. I had tried to make changes online to the seating however was denied the ability to do so on the Member site. Food offered was as bland as previous offerings. My partner had to request that the toilets be cleaned so as to be able to be used. The seating next to the toilets was uncomfortable. Entertainment limited on all legs and the inflight entertainment unit on the Milan - Hong Kong leg was unserviceable. Cleanliness was not of a high standard. We had chosen Cathay as an alternative route into Europe however after this experience we will be returning to Thai Airways and Bangkok.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 June 2013 by Mark LaPrairie    (Bhutan)

CX 826, HKG-YYZ, 16A.Not overly impressed with the seat, and certainly not what I expected given all the hype. I found the whole set up too boxy. Aisle side armrest, while moveable, is oddly positioned such that it is more or less unusable with a wrong angle and too far away. Seat too hard and console too close with very little elbow room. A metal bar across the back makes the completely flat position uncomfortable, better to stay slightly raised. Good screen but too close and cannot be tilted for when laying down. Last minute aircraft change meant that there were now two rows of first class seating even though the flight is an all business class service, wish I had known that so I could have requested a seat in one of the first two rows! Cabin director in business cabin was very obliging when I pointed out that I had asked CX ground staff if there were any infants travelling in the business cabin. I was assured there were none, not once, but twice at the reception desks of both the Pier lounge near gate 63 and at the Wing lounge near gate 2 in HKG. Lo and behold, upon getting into my seat, I'm seated right beside the only infant in the entire business cabin whose mother started cajoling him with a rattler from the moment we pushed back from the gate. I have nothing against babies, but I do object to being lied to by adults. Crew were friendly and obliging. Food was unexceptional.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 June 2013 by Andrew Bratt    (Thailand)

Hong Kong - Bangkok - Colombo route does not appear to be one of Cathay's premium routes. Aircraft was an older 777 with 232 seat configuration. Seat was uncomfortable with quite limited recline and restricted leg room due to the AV equipment for the seat in front. Menu and wine list also limited and meal rather uninspiring (lamb curry). Three hours was long enough. I wouldn't have fancied a long haul flight on this aircraft. One redeeming feature was price at under 15,000 Thai baht, which was a lot cheaper than Sri Lankan airlines. Cathay's lounge in Bangkok is nothing special either with a limited range of drinks and snacks. Couldn't see any wine in offer.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 June 2013 by Chris Campbell    (Australia)

This was my first experience travelling with Cathay Pacific and I was very impressed with good inflight service and entertainment plus tasty food on both the A330-300 and Boeing 777-300e during the return Perth to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Vancouver sectors. I was however disappointed that we had to have the shutters closed for long periods on three of the flights. I would recommend its as a great airline to use for overseas holidays.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  6 June 2013 by L Gabriel    (Australia)

Very comfortable flight from HKG to SYD. CX is far better than flying with Qantas in terms of its seats and crew service. Great varieties of snacks during the flight. Could be better if there was more fresh fruit or ice-cream.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 June 2013 by R Gunn    (New Zealand)

AKL-HKG on an A340-300. HKG-SYD on an A330-300 (fresh, clean and contemporary). Both flights were great with clear PA's, fantastic welcomes from the FA's and smiles all around. Toilets kept clean especially on the Auckland flight and stocked with moisturisers which is always appreciated in Economy! Only gripe was the fact that only once on an 11 hour flight (AKL-HKG) and only once on a 9 hour flight (HKG-SYD) was water offered (except for with meals). As a passenger who doesn't want to draw attention or cause nuisance, this made for a very thirsty time. Recently flew Thai who were exceptional handing out water/Orange Juice/Apple Juice every 30-45 minutes, even throughout the night.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  31 May 2013 by S Tay    (Singapore)

Singapore to Chicago, 26 April 2013. Very clean. Business class is very spacious with lots of table and storage spaces. Magazines are individually wrapped. Nice small touches that contribute to the overall experience!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 May 2013 by Hugo But    (Canada)

YVR-HKG (and return). Love the service on CX 889, the staff were very friendly and the business class seat was very comfortable since it had a 180 degree flat bed. The meal service was excellent. Before shut eye, one of the flight attendants were kind enough to put a blanket over me when I fell asleep.

Earlier comments for Cathay Pacific have been archived (ie. prior to the date of last comment above).

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.