China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read China Southern Airlines Passenger Reviews and China Southern Airlines customer trip Reports

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  15 November 2013 by Grace Lee    (Taiwan)

Nov 8, CZ3379, Changsha to Guangzhou. Nov 9, CZ3097, Guangzhou to Taipei. I had a lot of luggage, it was consigned directly to Taipei. It's very convenient. The flight was a bit delayed, but I was told in time, so I was not too worried and had enough time shopping at the airport. All in all, a happy and relaxing trip with China Southern. I will travel with CSA next time.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by Teresa Theobald    (Australia)

Recently flew Beijing-Istanbul return specifying a direct flight on ticketing. Only staying 36 hours on return journey and told by Chinese Embassy Melbourne I didn't need a visa as Beijing is 72 hours visa free. Flight to Istanbul stopped in Urumqi becoming last port in China for passport control. Immediately set off alarm bells for return trip as Urumqi has only 24 hours visa free. Tried unsuccessfully to rectify situation in Amsterdam and Istanbul - total lack of customer service in both cities. Arrived in Urumqi and at Passport Control escorted to Immigration and for 4 hours passport and documentation handed from person to person. Eventually granted visa for extra 10 hours. Luggage had been removed from flight which had proceeded to Beijing. Eventually told no seats available to Beijing until 24 hours later and the airline would provide a hotel with meals. I would not consider being detained on a military base a hotel. Collected by a soldier in khaki in a utility vehicle and entered a guarded military base to a 'hotel' with no name. Soldiers on drill around me. No English spoken, no wifi or Internet. Meal consisted of a bowl of soup whilst the Chinese ate 2 courses with seconds! Breakfast not much better. I would like to point out at this stage I had a valid visa for 34 hours in China. Next day at the airport soon discovered I wasn't booked on said flight - I was on standby. The 1.5 days I had planned in Beijing including accommodation costs were ruined resulting in a few hours between flights at the airport. At no stage was I apologised to by the airline for its misleading information or Immigration. I have contacted China Southern demanding they inform passengers flight is not direct and passport control is through Urumqi so this situation doesn't reoccur. After numerous emails each time from a different person (same as in Urumqi) this has been the response, " sorry for that". Not good enough. Don't fly with this dreadful airline. Service on and off aircraft non-existent.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2013 by P Sim    (France)

CAN-SYD on A380 Economy, Lower deck. Smooth boarding for SkyPriority passengers. Staff friendly and polite. The flight attendant who served my aisle spoke perfect English. Staff shows unsealed kosher food to passenger prior to opening and cooking but served breakfast before dinner and the vegetables dish was still frozen. They still need to pay more attention to details. Other than that, economy seats are quite reasonable.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2013 by J Niemksi    (Australia)

Simply terrible from check-in at Melbourne airport through to Paris and return. The onboard crew displayed very little customer service and the food was terrible. It seemed to be quite a task to find two seats together for a couple who booked the flight together, we did get adjoining seats, but they did make it seem like a big deal. For the Guangzhou to Paris leg I contacted China Southern to try to ensure we could get seats together, however even in their head office I wasn't able to speak to anyone in English - being an international airline I stupidly thought they may have someone around that could speak English. On the return leg from Paris, they couldn't find our booking. They saw our tickets and verified that our tickets were showing the correct details of the flight, however they could not find them. We made the flight with but some difficulty. On the return flight we took our own food to eat due to our previous experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by M Tong    (Hong Kong)

Business class on A330 to Paris and this was truly quite poor. I heard that Air China is to be dropped to 3 Star airline, and guess China Southern may be following them soon? Meals poorly served, wine choice a joke and the product is now really poor. Its like they have no money to look after biz customers any more. Staff languages were poor unless you speak Mandarin!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by I Irwin    (Australia)

China Southern Airlines are a joke! Left us waiting for 12 hours with no explanation at Paris CDG airport. When we asked what was happening at the departure lounge counter the excuses changed by the hour. First it was the fog, then 5 hours later it was that the flight crew couldn't work past the original shift time, then the plane had to be cleaned, then hours and hours later when we were sitting on the plane ready for take off we were told we were waiting on documents. We got to CDG at 8am ready for our midday flight and didn't lift off till after 11pm. Not one announcement to us as to what was happening. We could have has a day in Paris instead of being held hostage in the most remote airport lounge, starved of information. Meal voucher, received one. The most appalling treatment at Guangzhou stop over - told we were on another delayed flight. Only because I made a fuss and refused to have my flight changed did we get on the connecting flight that had. Already been delayed, not to mention the original connecting flight that as missed. Unprofessional, rude and treated like cattle. China Southern Airlines are not an international airline by any stretch of the imagination

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by Iskandar Illyas    (Malaysia)

KL-LAX thru Guangzhou last week. I should have listened to the review I read. Hands down the worst airline I travelled so far - worse than low cost airlines. The cabin staff cannot speak English, food like other reviewer described is terrible, and the seat, cramped and very hard.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by V Sarakula    (Australia)

Sydney to London return. Recommended, and would fly with China Southern Airlines again. The worst experience is their abominable website (English version). An utterly useless site that should be an embarrassment to a major company. Following closely/badly behind is the very limited office service provided by CS (Sydney only) - the Sydney office employees did apologize for the website while suggesting that any concrete information about a booking could only be gained by ringing their China office!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by Cao Xiaojin    (China)

SWA-URC-SWA. The staff service is good and they were nice to passengers. I must say SWA airport service is better than before.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 November 2013 by A Brutsch    (Canada)

We travelled on an organized tour from Vancouver to Guangzhou and on to Saigon. The tour had an all inclusive price, hence we don't know how much the actual airfare would have been. The incoming flight into Vancouver was 2 hours delayed which resulted in a 3 hours late departure to Guangzhou. We had a stopover of 5 hours in Guangzhou before our flight to Saigon. However with the 3 hour delayed departure ex Vancouver the stopover was cut to 2 hours. As it turned out it was a blessing in disguise since one cup of Coffee at the Guangzhou Airport was an astonishing US $13. As to our flight we can only say never ever again will we be flying China Southern. Asking for red wine with our meal we were given the equivalent of a thimble full, when asking for a refill we were told that no more wine was available. The crew were outright rude. The food was edible but that's about it. As I said, never ever again will we be traveling on China Southern.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by J Birbeck    (UK)

Guangzhou - Paris, booked as part of Air France return from CAN-MAN. Awful service, terrible food (served wrong food twice, plus breakfast inedible). Lots of cabin crew milling around, they then all disappeared for about 9 hours. Only saving grace was flatbed was fairly comfortable. It has to be said that the CZ lounge at Guangzhou is bad - either showers are working and there are no towels or there are towels but showers are not working! I do this route a couple of times a year for work, will ensure in future that I only fly on AF operated flights - the CZ and Flybe codeshare partners are horrific!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  30 October 2013 by D Hutchison    (New Zealand)

Travelled premium economy - AKL-LHR-AKL. Main issue was that on return journey from London to Auckland I was informed by the Check-in assistant that there were no Premium Economy seats on my return flight and that I was being downgraded to Economy. I was naturally unhappy and after 2 hours, yes 2 hours, trying to locate the male supervisor - he said "if you don't like it - send an email when you get back". Just be aware that on this route you may not get what you paid for. Re Premium Economy seats - Probably not worth the extra expense. I certainly won't be recommending this airline to anyone.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by Khan Ahmad    (Canada)

We flew from Vancouver - Guangzhou in Boeing 777. The plane was old and the entertainment system didn't work, very tight leg room. Guangzhou - Bangkok, the airbus 330 was a new plane, everything was excellent. It was the same situation on our trip back home. The English announcements were very difficult to understand partly because of poor command of English and also because passengers were talking so loudly even during the announcements.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by K Priti    (India)

New Delhi to Qiqihar (China) via Guangzhou. The service was horrible and staff appeared to be impatient and hostile at times. On the first leg of the journey, the request for a coffee from a co-passenger was met with a cold stare from the air hostess. No inflight entertainment whatsoever! The food was just bearable. The second leg of the journey from Guangzhou to Qiqihar was unimaginable. Throughout the journey, the flight attendants kept a stern face (no smile at all) and appeared to be either bored or uninterested in serving passengers. Blankets were provided only to a few (probably on first-come-first-serve basis). When the food was being served, they gave me a chicken meal and I asked whether they could replace it with a vegetarian meal instead. The attendant said they could give me a veg meal and asked me to wait. Finally, when all the passengers finished their meals, the attendant brought me my veg meal and half-heartedly apologized for keeping me waiting since he was very busy! I had to return my meal uneaten.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2013 by Basquet Yves    (Spain)

AMS-CAN and CAN-CDG, 20/24-Oct-2013. Both flights were on very recent A330-200, in economy. Seat was as good as an economy seat can be. The entertainment system was really good, much better than the one found on many Western airlines. Big screen, very good resolution, a really large selection of movies in English and French, many of them really new. Seat included a USB connection. Service was as expected, neither bad nor good. Food was ok and could have been better. Anyway, I am looking forward to fly again on China Southern Airlines on my next trip to Guangzhou.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2013 by John Potter    (New Zealand)

Flew Business Class AKL to LHR via Guangzhou. Very comfortable fully lie flat beds even though I'm 6ft 3in. The CAN to LHR legs were in the new Boeing 787. Food was excellent, only criticism being over small things - wines of very average quality, no beer or spirits offered, strange way or presenting coffee before breakfast and then none afterwards. However, flights were very cheap and well worth travelling this way compared with more expensive and less comfortable premium economy flights on other airlines.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  24 October 2013 by S McGarrigle    (Australia)

We flew Perth - Guangzhou - LAX, October 2013. The check-in crew at Perth were superb helping us with our USA visas (which our travel agent hadn't done) and checking us through to LAX and informing us what we needed to do in Guangzhou. The flights themselves were as good as any we have flown with other more expensive airlines (all economy) the inflight entertainment was very good, the seats and legroom all as good as other airlines. The lack of English speaking flight attendants was not a problem, they all understood basic requests and certainly spoke English better than I spoke Chinese. All planes were modern and the long journeys were on the new A380's. On our return journey we had a 16 hour stopover in Guangzhou. We were offered a complementary hotel room and were taken on a bus to a hotel in the city. The hotel was ok but the beds were rock solid. Admittedly we all slept after the 14.5 hr flight. The hotel was a nice diversion and a way to see a bit of the real China outside of the airport. Our only minor disappointment was the food on board all the flights. It was very much traditional Chinese cuisine not the westernised version we eat in Australia, but this is to be expected I suppose as it is a Chinese airline. All in all the experience was good and for the price we paid as a group of 5 adults the savings we made using China Southern were better spent as spending money on our trip than in the profits of a more expensive airline.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Peter Uhlmann    (Canada)

We flew Vancouver to Guangzhou and then to Kathmandu. The first leg was an old plane. Our overhead lights wouldn't turn off. The video on the seat in front had only one English language film and the picture quality was poor. Service was nothing to write home about, nor was the food. We left 2.5 hours late, which meant a rushed transfer in Guangzhou. The second flight to Kathmandu was better, on time, and a newer plane. However, several passengers (including us) had to wait a nervous day for our luggage to arrive on the next flight. Luckily it did, but could have been a real hassle as we had travel plans in Nepal the day after the luggage arrived. Yes, the fares are cheap, but I don't think I would use this airline again. I forgot to mention the lack of legroom for anyone taller than 4 feet.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by P Hugh    (Canada)

Recently flew return Vancouver to Guangzhou. The outgoing was a grey Skyteam plane and rather old with uncomfortable economy seat, my cushion was slanted off towards left. The incoming was actual a CSA's 777 and over 2 hours late taking off, resulting missing my connecting flight. The food were typical airlines varieties, Most FAs had poor command of English and could not answer questions, if CSA needs to be world class international they have a long way to go. However, for the price of tickets I paid compensated for the poor seats and lack of IFE. Percentage of flying CSA again is 35%.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2013 by P Ryan    (Australia)

Having read some of the reviews here, I was a little hesitant about flying with China Southern. Flew SYD-CDG then CDG-SYD with a stopover in Guangzhou. We were very pleased with the level of service with China Southern. All flights were on time and the aircraft were fairly new. Meals were adequate although some combinations of food were a little odd. Drinks were plentiful although you did have to keep asking for them. In flight entertainment was adequate and a fairly good range of options in English. The toilets on the plane were regularly cleaned and the attendants made sure that they were well stocked. Would I fly with this airline again, yes especially for the price that I paid. Transit at Guangzhou was a breeze with ground staff on hand to direct passengers.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax