China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read China Southern Airlines Passenger Reviews and China Southern Airlines customer trip Reports

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  16 September 2013 by Sukasem Tejatanalert    (Thailand)

Flying from Bangkok to Guangzhou on 737-800. The seats were quite good while the entertainment system barely existed. The meal is fair for the short flight (2.5 hour). Flight was on time.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  16 September 2013 by C Wong    (Singapore)

Not recommended as there was a 6-hour delay with my flight from Guangzhou to Singapore, and there was no official announcements from the airline even at the last minute. Just kept waiting at the airport without any food or drink provided without any further information. The food on board tasted poor and airline staff on-board spoke very poor English. The in-flight screen showing films during the trip was extremely small, and there were no headphones provided. I could not hear the audio of the film and the subtitles are too small and cannot be seen. My worst flying experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  16 September 2013 by Y Li    (China)

CTU-AMS, a very pleasant trip. The crew were very helpful. They helped me to arrange very good vegetarian food without prior request. It's very good value for the money.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  12 September 2013 by G Eloise    (Australia)

Economy Class, SYD-AMS with a stop in Guangzhou. We were very pleasantly surprised with how the trip turned out. As we were checking in we were told we could actually check in 2 bags each making a total of 42kgs per person. Onboard we saw that we had our own personal inflight entertainment systems. Had them on all 4 flights there and back. Service was good, food was just like all other airlines. No problems at all. First flight back from Amsterdam was on the new A380. The tray table was too far away from me but had plenty of leg room. For the amount we paid, and what we got in return, they deserve to take business away from other major airlines.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Anthony Theodore van Alphen    (Australia)

I often fly with China Southern from Sydney to Guangzhou and back. I cannot help noticing that after 4 years of complaining about the state of the toilets "inflight" now finally I am seeing that crew members are allocated to frequently cleaning the toilets and allowing them to look and even smell decent. Its not a nice subject to discuss but needs continued attention and supervision. On a friendlier subject, "Food". It is difficult to please everyone, but on the whole I cannot help noticing that the quality of food chosen by China Southern on the flights to OZ has increased just in this last 2 months. Still maybe to early to tell and maybe just a blip on the radar but I do notice things - service of "ice cubes" with drinks offered? Serving of better quality food in flight meals. I.e. good quality chocolate used in cakes etc. CZ326 dated 10th Sep 2013.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Sue Emmett    (Australia)

I flew Sydney - London economy return in June, 2013. I was quite satisfied overall. I found the food quite acceptable, in fact I mostly enjoyed it. The service was good but with no frills, can't complain at the price. Entertainment possibly not so good, but I take my own entertainment so not a concern to me. My fellow passengers including small children were all good, no problems there. I was as comfortable as it's possible to be in economy. I would recommend China Southern, particularly at such a low price.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2013 by K Oliver    (Australia)

14-29 August 2013. After reading mostly negative reviews for this airline I felt the need to add my own review. We have recently flown from Perth to Guangzhou return and cannot fault them. Staff were as good as any other airline we have used (as was the food) and the modern plane was a pleasure to travel in. Fantastic value for money (saved us approx $500 each on our journey).

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  9 September 2013 by M Cronje-Vermeulen    (Australia)

I returned last week from China to Australia on a China Southern flight and I chose this flight, because it was the only direct flight and getting me over-night back to Sydney. Booking into business as I had a meeting in the morning, I prepared myself to have a good sleep. Unfortunately an Asian family of 3 also booked into business. I have 2 young children and we travel overseas a lot, so I'm not against children in business, just against parents who have not taught their children to use inside voices. Needless to say I arrived in Sydney very tired.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  6 September 2013 by S O'Toole    (Australia)

Delayed due to bad weather on arriving in Guangzhou. I had a tight connection via Xiamen to Amsterdam for a wedding. Ground staff were great, they redirected me directly from Guangzhou to Amsterdam on the first flight - there was a long delay and without asking for it they put us up in a hotel and fed us. Our bags arrived in Amsterdam. They handled the volume of people very well - prioritising correctly and communicating it. The seats on the A330-333 had lots of room (SYD to Guangzhou), the seats on the 737 from Guangzhou to Amsterdam not so good. I didn't eat anything except the fruit and vegies but others said the food was good. We got a 72 hour Chinese Visa with no hassles at all.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  5 September 2013 by Steve Robinson    (Australia)

Flew LAX to Guangzhou to Sydney in Bus Class. The A380 was only 60% full and was looking a bit tired, lots of marks and dings in the trim. Had the lay flat beds and the plane was very quiet, slept well. Fare was very good, about half of the normal fare I pay for business so I decided to give them a go. Crew were very good, food Ok for business as was drink service. My son wanted a Vodka and orange but they didn't carry vodka on board. Cabin crew has basic English language skills only. Met at the gate on arrival in Guangzhou and escorted through the transit process and into the lounge, had a shower and lounge was very good. Had a ticketing issue with our Sydney flight as I wanted try and go direct to Perth. The desk staff did all they could to help but it wasn't possible due to schedules. Flight to Perth was in standard throne chairs, otherwise no problems, plane clean and tidy and food and drinks good. Only bad points was after take off from LAX the crew filled the remaining business class seats with people from other classes, no big deal just a large influx, banging bags around about an hour into the flight. Our transit time in Guangzhou was 4 hours. Otherwise better than Id expected and if I could time the Perth - China - LAX flights right Id use them again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  5 September 2013 by S Moffitt    (New Zealand)

NZ to London (12th Aug 2013) on CZ306, 10pm, Airbus 332. Got a very cheap flight and wasn't expecting too much. Seating and leg room was good as any other flight I have travelled, any announcements made are in Chinese first, followed by English, have to listen carefully to understand, but no big deal. Service I must say is not as good as other flights I have been on, but certainly acceptable. No ice with your drinks! Food I have to say is just ok! Both legs of the flights had own personal screens (touch screens) first flight didnt not work and you have to use the remote which is in the seat (which you cant take out) to get the screens to work, can be a bit of a pain. 2nd flight it worked every now and again, my daughters worked fine, so just luck I suppose! I would certainly fly with them again for the price, large saving if travelling with a family of four.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  4 September 2013 by Celeste Woolley    (Australia)

Sydney to Amsterdam stopping in Guangzhou. Every stage of our trip resulted in issues - from booking (they changed our itinerary prior to departure). Once flying, food quality and choice dreadful, staff cannot speak English and don't want to answer your questions. We missed 4 connections in total (none our fault) and trust me, on the ground in China with unexpected flight delays is the last place you want to be. Disorganised, unprofessional, unpleasant. Never again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  30 August 2013 by G Kilby    (Australia)

Sydney to Guangzhou. I found the cabin staff and service excellent. The Cabin Purser showed great leadership, and attendants were very attentive. The food could be improved - one of the meals described as chicken porridge but in fact was chicken congee. The midday meal was very good. Overall a great experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2013 by A Swan    (Australia)

I had an Air France ticket from Paris CDG to Melbourne. The second leg of the flight, from Guangzhou to Melbourne, was operated by China Southern. There were no personal television screens, only shared screens which screened movies with illegible English subtitles. The lack of in-flight entertainment made this 9.5 hour flight dull and unpleasant. The food was the worst I have had on an airline: for dinner I chose noodles with beef, the beef was a couple of tiny pieces of mince. My partner chose the chicken with rice and although the rice had a nice flavour, there was hardly any chicken. The only decent meal on the flight was the omelette and hash brown which I chose for breakfast. The seats were also of a very poor standard. The headrests did not contain the function which allows you to push two flaps inwards in order to stop your head from lolling about when you fall asleep. I have had these adjustable headrests on other economy-class flights including the flight with Air France from Paris to Guangzhou and flights with Etihad Airways and Qantas. In addition, the armrests between the seats could not be pushed all the way upwards and consequently my partner and I were unable to lean on each other without hitting our faces on the protruding armrest. The absence of personal in-flight entertainment and the extremely poor quality of the food and the seats compared with other economy-class flights means I won't be flying with China Southern again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2013 by D Baker    (Canada)

Flew between Vancouver and Guangzhou and was very disappointed at the quality of the food provided. The food on the flight to Guangzhou was the worst I have had on an airline. In addition, very little entertainment was provided to help me kill time over this 12 hour flight. There were only 6 channels of videos. Most were Chinese films with subtitles, but the screens were too small for the subtitles to be readable. On the return flight, we were delayed several hours leaving Guangzhou, but staff didn't explain why. They simply said "bad weather" although we could see many other planes leaving the airport for North America. I fly a lot and don't expect to be pampered when I fly economy class, but this was way below par.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax