China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read China Southern Airlines Passenger Reviews and China Southern Airlines customer trip Reports

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by Teresa Theobald    (Australia)

Recently flew Beijing-Istanbul return specifying a direct flight on ticketing. Only staying 36 hours on return journey and told by Chinese Embassy Melbourne I didn't need a visa as Beijing is 72 hours visa free. Flight to Istanbul stopped in Urumqi becoming last port in China for passport control. Immediately set off alarm bells for return trip as Urumqi has only 24 hours visa free. Tried unsuccessfully to rectify situation in Amsterdam and Istanbul - total lack of customer service in both cities. Arrived in Urumqi and at Passport Control escorted to Immigration and for 4 hours passport and documentation handed from person to person. Eventually granted visa for extra 10 hours. Luggage had been removed from flight which had proceeded to Beijing. Eventually told no seats available to Beijing until 24 hours later and the airline would provide a hotel with meals. I would not consider being detained on a military base a hotel. Collected by a soldier in khaki in a utility vehicle and entered a guarded military base to a 'hotel' with no name. Soldiers on drill around me. No English spoken, no wifi or Internet. Meal consisted of a bowl of soup whilst the Chinese ate 2 courses with seconds! Breakfast not much better. I would like to point out at this stage I had a valid visa for 34 hours in China. Next day at the airport soon discovered I wasn't booked on said flight - I was on standby. The 1.5 days I had planned in Beijing including accommodation costs were ruined resulting in a few hours between flights at the airport. At no stage was I apologised to by the airline for its misleading information or Immigration. I have contacted China Southern demanding they inform passengers flight is not direct and passport control is through Urumqi so this situation doesn't reoccur. After numerous emails each time from a different person (same as in Urumqi) this has been the response, " sorry for that". Not good enough. Don't fly with this dreadful airline. Service on and off aircraft non-existent.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2013 by P Sim    (France)

CAN-SYD on A380 Economy, Lower deck. Smooth boarding for SkyPriority passengers. Staff friendly and polite. The flight attendant who served my aisle spoke perfect English. Staff shows unsealed kosher food to passenger prior to opening and cooking but served breakfast before dinner and the vegetables dish was still frozen. They still need to pay more attention to details. Other than that, economy seats are quite reasonable.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2013 by J Niemksi    (Australia)

Simply terrible from check-in at Melbourne airport through to Paris and return. The onboard crew displayed very little customer service and the food was terrible. It seemed to be quite a task to find two seats together for a couple who booked the flight together, we did get adjoining seats, but they did make it seem like a big deal. For the Guangzhou to Paris leg I contacted China Southern to try to ensure we could get seats together, however even in their head office I wasn't able to speak to anyone in English - being an international airline I stupidly thought they may have someone around that could speak English. On the return leg from Paris, they couldn't find our booking. They saw our tickets and verified that our tickets were showing the correct details of the flight, however they could not find them. We made the flight with but some difficulty. On the return flight we took our own food to eat due to our previous experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by M Tong    (Hong Kong)

Business class on A330 to Paris and this was truly quite poor. I heard that Air China is to be dropped to 3 Star airline, and guess China Southern may be following them soon? Meals poorly served, wine choice a joke and the product is now really poor. Its like they have no money to look after biz customers any more. Staff languages were poor unless you speak Mandarin!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by I Irwin    (Australia)

China Southern Airlines are a joke! Left us waiting for 12 hours with no explanation at Paris CDG airport. When we asked what was happening at the departure lounge counter the excuses changed by the hour. First it was the fog, then 5 hours later it was that the flight crew couldn't work past the original shift time, then the plane had to be cleaned, then hours and hours later when we were sitting on the plane ready for take off we were told we were waiting on documents. We got to CDG at 8am ready for our midday flight and didn't lift off till after 11pm. Not one announcement to us as to what was happening. We could have has a day in Paris instead of being held hostage in the most remote airport lounge, starved of information. Meal voucher, received one. The most appalling treatment at Guangzhou stop over - told we were on another delayed flight. Only because I made a fuss and refused to have my flight changed did we get on the connecting flight that had. Already been delayed, not to mention the original connecting flight that as missed. Unprofessional, rude and treated like cattle. China Southern Airlines are not an international airline by any stretch of the imagination

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by Iskandar Illyas    (Malaysia)

KL-LAX thru Guangzhou last week. I should have listened to the review I read. Hands down the worst airline I travelled so far - worse than low cost airlines. The cabin staff cannot speak English, food like other reviewer described is terrible, and the seat, cramped and very hard.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by V Sarakula    (Australia)

Sydney to London return. Recommended, and would fly with China Southern Airlines again. The worst experience is their abominable website (English version). An utterly useless site that should be an embarrassment to a major company. Following closely/badly behind is the very limited office service provided by CS (Sydney only) - the Sydney office employees did apologize for the website while suggesting that any concrete information about a booking could only be gained by ringing their China office!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2013 by Cao Xiaojin    (China)

SWA-URC-SWA. The staff service is good and they were nice to passengers. I must say SWA airport service is better than before.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 November 2013 by A Brutsch    (Canada)

We travelled on an organized tour from Vancouver to Guangzhou and on to Saigon. The tour had an all inclusive price, hence we don't know how much the actual airfare would have been. The incoming flight into Vancouver was 2 hours delayed which resulted in a 3 hours late departure to Guangzhou. We had a stopover of 5 hours in Guangzhou before our flight to Saigon. However with the 3 hour delayed departure ex Vancouver the stopover was cut to 2 hours. As it turned out it was a blessing in disguise since one cup of Coffee at the Guangzhou Airport was an astonishing US $13. As to our flight we can only say never ever again will we be flying China Southern. Asking for red wine with our meal we were given the equivalent of a thimble full, when asking for a refill we were told that no more wine was available. The crew were outright rude. The food was edible but that's about it. As I said, never ever again will we be traveling on China Southern.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by J Birbeck    (UK)

Guangzhou - Paris, booked as part of Air France return from CAN-MAN. Awful service, terrible food (served wrong food twice, plus breakfast inedible). Lots of cabin crew milling around, they then all disappeared for about 9 hours. Only saving grace was flatbed was fairly comfortable. It has to be said that the CZ lounge at Guangzhou is bad - either showers are working and there are no towels or there are towels but showers are not working! I do this route a couple of times a year for work, will ensure in future that I only fly on AF operated flights - the CZ and Flybe codeshare partners are horrific!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  30 October 2013 by D Hutchison    (New Zealand)

Travelled premium economy - AKL-LHR-AKL. Main issue was that on return journey from London to Auckland I was informed by the Check-in assistant that there were no Premium Economy seats on my return flight and that I was being downgraded to Economy. I was naturally unhappy and after 2 hours, yes 2 hours, trying to locate the male supervisor - he said "if you don't like it - send an email when you get back". Just be aware that on this route you may not get what you paid for. Re Premium Economy seats - Probably not worth the extra expense. I certainly won't be recommending this airline to anyone.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by Khan Ahmad    (Canada)

We flew from Vancouver - Guangzhou in Boeing 777. The plane was old and the entertainment system didn't work, very tight leg room. Guangzhou - Bangkok, the airbus 330 was a new plane, everything was excellent. It was the same situation on our trip back home. The English announcements were very difficult to understand partly because of poor command of English and also because passengers were talking so loudly even during the announcements.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax