China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read China Southern Airlines Passenger Reviews and China Southern Airlines customer trip Reports

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by P Hollin (UK)

Travelled London to Bangkok and back from Manila both via Guangzhou. Out of the 4 flights the staff on 3 of them were very poor and in cases extremely rude. On one flight a stewards jacket was over the back of my seat I took it off so not to lay back and crease it, asked a member of staff to take it who with a slight grumble literally snatched it out of my hand. As I was sat at the very back of one flight on take off I turned round to notice one staff member slumped in her take off seat asleep. These new Dreamliners they use have terribly uncomfortable seats, I didn't want to sit in them for 2 hours never mind 13hrs. I found I got a lot more space and nicer seating on the 2 short haul connection flights which used older aircraft. They were the cheapest though and had the route we wanted so would use them again but only if the price and route was right though.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by Hui Li (USA)

Beijing to Los Angels, CZ3162 (Beijing to Guangzhou) and flight CZ327 (from Guangzhou to Los Angels). My flights (2 in total) were all good. I spent more than 12 hours on the longest one and it was ok. I enjoyed the comfortable seat and the fantastic entertainment system. The food service was as good as other business class flights I have taken. Staffs were nice and helpful. Provided with a pillow and blanket that allowed me to sleep during the flight.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by D Simonson (Canada)

Flew from Vancouver to Delhi, bumped in Guangzhou. No explanation. Return trip 3 weeks later. Food was poor, special diets were not observed (Hindu given beef, celiac given wheat noodles), staff indifferent and were not visible for hours at a time. Bathrooms smelt, no inflight entertainment (paid or otherwise), asked to upgrade (not possible), small seats with only slight recline, booked months ago but were seated apart, staff had poor English skills. The longest stretch was 13.5 hours.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Y Hu (Australia)

I am a regular customer with China Southern. From the past 5 years of Sydney-Guangzhou and Guangzhou-Sydney experience, I can tell the improvements the CS air has made. They have employed Australian flight attendants as part of the crew to facilitate the communication with non-Chinese speaking passengers. I flew on 19th Feb, CZ 301 from Guangzhou to Sydney, the new service style impressed me a lot. Cabin crew were patient and considerate.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  19 February 2014 by J Zhou (USA)

Dalian to Seoul. Dalian airport is convenient due to its small size. The in-flight service is great, the chief attendant noticed my 1.5 year old son sitting on my lap, and she managed to find two spare seats for us without me asking for it. Overall, I had a very good experience with CS Air.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by R O'Neill (UK)

LHR-SIN via CAN. After reading all the negative reviews, I was slightly worried about my trip to Singapore via Guangzhou. The Dreamliner was used between London and Guangzhou (12.5 hours) and this flight was lovely. The food was delicious and the entertainment good. Seats were also very comfortable. London to Guangzhou was very enjoyable (this flight was the most important for me in terms of comfort due to the length). Between Guangzhou and Singapore (4 hours), this flight wasn't as nice. I never imagined you could get such horrible food on a flight. I would definitely fly China Southern again, the price is hard to beat!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Lois Peterson (Canada)

Enroute to Delhi from Vancouver, a six hour delay in Canton. Crew had no English to answer passenger questions, deal with customs paperwork, etc. No entertainment on 13 hr flight. Headed home, stranded overnight in Delhi with 12-hr delay, expected to share room at hotel with stranger or pay 50% of cost.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Devastotra Poddar (New Zealand)

29 May, Auckland NZ - Guangzhou CN, CZ 306. The seat was broken and wouldn't recline and I had to fly sitting up straight for the 12 hour journey from Auckland to Guangzhou. Was not happy with their service. Would prefer not to fly with China Southern.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Mundy John (Australia)

SYD to LHR on 03/02/14. Excellent trip. Service was better than expected, especially since reading many negative reviews of CSA. The A380 flight to Guangzhou was almost empty in business class, which explains why CSA is taking this plane off the Sydney route, I feel if they were to keep with it their patronage would certainly increase if my flight was anything to go by. The food service was as good as the other business class flights I take. Others complain about lack of English and flight deck announcements, but I did not find either a problem. The A380 and the 787 make for a great combination for the Canton route and I appreciate the hotel offered for the layover.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by P Lylou (Belgium)

I flew from Seoul (South Korea) to Auckland (New Zealand) with this company and I don't have any complaints. I was worried at first because of all the bad reviews I read online, but my flights (4 in total) were all good. I spent more than 12 hours for the longest one and it was ok. The comfort of the seat is normal in comparison to other companies. The food is good, the staff are nice and helpful and there are plenty of movies, TV shows and music.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Mike Orszag (UK)

First Class 787 route between London and Guangzhou. China Southern is the only airline with First Class on the 787 and it has a cabin with four excellent seats (the ones on the plane from London to Guangzhou were a different colour but otherwise the same as on the trip back). The service was outstanding - in both directions I was the only customer in First Class and I had 3 flight attendants assisting me. It was particularly easy to get on and off the plane - no hassles with secondary visa checks or other issues normal with trips to China.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Colin Hughes (Australia)

Great value business class. I travelled from Sydney Australia to Manchester UK in January 2014 in business class on A380 and A330-200. Lie flat seats on all long haul flights which were very comfortable. Cabin and ground staff were all helpful, but could have been friendlier. Food was not up to usual business class standard. Overall a very good travel experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Zhu Zhijie (China)

Guangzhou to Paris, check-in at was fast with my baggage. Nice entertainment system, the movies are new. Clean and quiet cabin. Cabin crew are friendly and efficient.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  31 January 2014 by M Bennett (UK)

On 3/12/13 we checked in at LHR for flight CZ304 and were kept waiting 1.5 hrs for someone to bring a wheelchair - it never arrived so my partner had to push me through to the aircraft. On arrival at Guangzhou the plane off loaded via steps to the tarmac. However as there was no lift available, and only two small framed men who thought they were going carry me, I had no choice but to negotiate the steps and I then I had to climb very steep steps onto the waiting bus. The return journey on 16/1/14 from Melbourne, flight CZ322 to Guangzhou. This time the aircraft went to the terminal and a young lady waited for me with a wheelchair- only to push me around the corner to yet another flight of stairs! After much ado a young man came and pushed about 2 miles and then onto a bus to passport control, this had taken approximately 1.5 hours.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by A Kudrewicz (Russia)

Moscow to Sanya and back. Flight to Sanya (with one change and stop) was ok, though food and inflight service is quite poor. Return to Moscow was horrible. Flight from Sanya to Guangzhou was delayed 2 hrs, so we missed our plane to Moscow from Guangzhou. Ground service of the airline was very bad. They were slow and spoke poor English. We spent almost 3 hrs after arrival to re-book our tickets, collect luggage and wait for the hotel transfer. Flight CZ6001 was very difficult. After check-in the whole flight was taken for a security check 20 min before boarding: you go for the check, wait, get a card in addition to a boarding pass, wait in another zone, then go downstairs to a bus, collect the card, then almost 30 minutes on a bus to the plane. Stop in Urumqi for passport control, you leave the plane, wait in line for passport control, go to wait for the boarding back, then take off. They feed you just twice - once between CAN-URC and then once between URC-MOW.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by A Pittaway (UK)

LHR-CAN-MNL and return. I must admit that when I booked with China Southern I was a bit nervous about it as I had read several poor reviews, but I needn't have worried as all the flights were fine. We were travelling with a 6 month old baby which proved to be no problem. There was no bassinets available on the LHR-CAN leg (which was fine as my daughter will not sleep in a bassinet at all) so they gave us a row to ourselves so we had plenty of room. They gave us a row to ourselves on all legs thereafter. Flights were on time. Dreamliner was all fresh and new. Food was as good if not better than other airlines I have flown with. All the staff were pleasant and very helpful - especially with the baby. The layover in Guangzhou was overnight on both outward and return and they provided hotels each time. Both hotels were of the highest quality. We managed to miss the bus to the hotel on the outward leg, so they upgraded us to the Pullman Hotel at the airport which is only a few mins walk. We will definitely fly with them again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  22 January 2014 by Sarah Howe (Indonesia)

CGK-CAN-YVR-CAN-CGK, Christmas 2013. Best price by far. If you don't care about inflight entertainment, food, drinks, or service - but love saving that $1,000+, then just be ready. My partner and I prepared our fully-loaded and powered-up tablets, two foot long subs each plus copious snacks, a bottle of wine and a six pack (all bought inside the secure zone). China Southern does provide you a hotel - we had two 23-hour layovers - but you are way out of the city. We splurged and spent one night at a hotel closer to the uber-urban city center and it was worth it. The plane was safe, we were on schedule - efficient check-in. a sturdy airline I would fly again if time and comfort are again not the issue.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2014 by Ramsden Amy (UK)

My husband and I flew from London to Ho Chi Minh City via Guangzhou and Hanoi to London via Guangzhou. Flight from London to Guangzhou was on the new Dreamliner which was very nice and inflight entertainment was good, food was good and we slept most of the way as it was a night flight. Then had a 2 hour stopover in Guangzhou, as it was New Years Eve decided to have a few beers in the airport, this cost around 5 each but there was limited options to do anything else. Flight from Guangzhou to Ho Chi Minh City was ok, food was not good and the drink selection poor. Our return flight from Hanoi to Guangzhou was nice, it was a smallish plane with 2x2 seats on each side and the food was good. When we arrived in Guangzhou we had a 19 hour stopover and hoped to explore Guangzhou however the transit hotel we were given was a 40 minute drive from the airport. Dropped back at Baiyun airport 2.5 hours before our flight so were hanging around for a long time and the airport is very expensive. The flight back from Guangzhou to London left at 9.30am and I would say this was the worst of all the China Southern flights we had. An hour into the flight the stewards came round with drinks however the selection is limited, my husband is a diabetic so cannot drink coca cola or other sugary fizzy drinks, they had no diet drinks so the only options were tea or water. They did not have any alcoholic drinks. We were given a meal after the drinks were served and it was a choice of chicken or beef, I had chicken with rice, the chicken tasted awful. After the meal we were left to relax and watch movies, there wasn't a great selection but enough to keep you going for 11 hours. The second meal was actually quite nice although I would have eaten anything at that point. I feel it is unacceptable to feed people twice on an 11.5 hour day flight, on other airlines they usually provide a small sandwich or something in the middle and offer more drinks. Overall my experience just proves you get what you pay for and I have decided I am only flying direct from now onwards.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax