China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read China Southern Airlines Passenger Reviews and China Southern Airlines customer trip Reports

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Keith Rusling (UK)

Outbound flight 0304 on 23/3/14 and return flight 0303 on 3/5/14. The flight was on time and was safely completed. That's the basics, after all. Service was minimal and the cabin crew spent most of the flight chatting amongst themselves at the back of the plane. They came round twice each with drinks and food in the course of a thirteen hour flight. The food was right on the line as regards quality and quantity, with very limited choice. The seat seemed to be the minimum size and was quite hard. The second-worst seat I have experienced as regards comfort. The charge for any excess baggage was £100, which I ended up paying on the return flight. Not impressed and will try to fly some other airline in future - maybe fly to Hong Kong and take a train into China.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by Caroline Wu (France)

I took flight CZ348 Paris-Guangzhou in April, 2014. The aircraft itself was a little out dated but it was comfortable. There were not many passengers so we had more personal space, making it a pleasant trip. Staff were helpful, especially the attendant in my area, yet other staff seemed distant despite being polite. The service on board was good but could be better considering the length of the trip, especially in terms of the catering offer. The entertainment system on offer was satisfying.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by W Kong (Australia)

CZ325, 25 April 2014. I flew from Sydney to Guangzhou with China Southern for the first time and was pleasantly surprised with the overall experience. We were allowed 46kg luggage limit and the spacious design of the seats. Overall experience was comparable to higher ranked airlines e.g. Singapore Airlines at a lower cost.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Y Ren (Australia)

SYD-CAN-LAX return in First and Business. It was a fantastic trip with China Southern, great value for money. SYD- CAN-SYD in Business and CAN-LAX-CAN in A380 first suite. All flights take off and landed on time, Check in at SYD and LAX are fantastic. I accessed Qantas Business lounge in Sydney and Korea Air First lounge in LAX. I have to say QF business lounge is away better than KE first lounge in LAX. Staff on board are very friendly and professional in general, AVOD program are improved from my previous trip with CSA. Food and drinks are pretty good. PJ was distributed for CAN-LAX-CAN legs, pretty good quality PJs as well. First suite with A380 is fantastic, very private, staff did great trip on LAX-CAN leg, toilet cleaned every time after passengers used, bed was made every time I left. Transit in Guangzhou is also significantly improved, you don't have to go through security or immigration for international transfer at CAN. Airline stamp on your boarding pass and you can go straight to lounge or boarding gate. The only down side is staff at CZ lounge in Guangzhou, a lot of flights landing at same time around 5-6am, but seem the lounge does not have enough staff, they are not really helpful either. Considering how much I paid, it was great value for money with CSA.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by A Lim (New Zealand)

Flew Auckland to Guangzhou and return in the past week. The in-flight service was terrible on the way back to New Zealand and services were carried out without a single smile from any of the cabin crew. All the cabin crew had minimal English and were abrupt and inclined to give passengers any meal or drink irrespective of what was requested. They made assumptions that just because we spoke English, we would therefore have an English meal. A smile would go a long way. Snacks were seen down in the kitchen area of the plane but we did not once have any of this offered. Hygiene standards questionable. When I went down to the back of the plane for a stretch and to ask for a glass of water, I was ignored. Another hostess on her return trip back to that area answered my request once I caught her eye but all done without any eye contact or smile or any verbal exchange. Would not fly this airline again. For an international airline one would expect a better level of English language. At the end of the flight only one cabin crew in sight at the aircraft door and she was busy doing things so even if one wished to say thank you there was no one to say it to.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by L Jenkins (UK)

Impressed. For economy class, felt this was comparable with Singapore. New planes, good individual entertainment systems. Flew London to Sydney. Can't see the point paying extra in the future to fly with anyone else.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Richard Wong (Australia)

I was travelling from Amsterdam to Guangzhou on CZ308. The flight was smooth, the entertainment unit was very good and always available and the food selection was reasonable. We were told because of severe storms at Guangzhou, the plane would be diverted to Shenzhen and we would soon be given instructions. I thought this was a reasonable idea as quite possibly we would be able to catch a train to Guangzhou saving time or at least be let off the plane and have a stretch after such a long flight inside the airport terminal. Little did I know that we would have to wait an arduous 6.5 hours in the plane itself with barely any information relayed to us after about 1/2 an hour. This was most unsatisfactory and inconsiderate. What didn't help either was that the air stewards' English was as bad as my Chinese with any queries in English not understood replied to with a "What?". I hope this extremely long wait is not a recurring event for any airline.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Davoren Brian (Australia)

Travelled in Business Class, Guangzhou to Sydney, the seats are comfortable, good range of movies to select, food and drinks very good and good service.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by G Ritchie (UK)

LHR-CAN-MEL/SYD-CAN-LHR (22 March - 6 April 2014). 787 aircraft seating was a little more cramped than the A330-300. The seat pocket is low and therefore equates to less leg room. The seat was also narrower than the A330. All aircraft were fitted with adequate entertainment systems (on demand movies, your own screen, etc). Staff were competent. English is not fluent for most but they are eager to assist and did understand all of our requests. In my experience this is consistent with airlines such as Qatar and Emirates. The food was regular and very tasty. All flights were on time or early. Guangzhou Airport is basic. You cannot buy your way into a lounge. There were 2 lounges for frequent flyers only. Overall my wife and I found the experience in Economy comparable with 5 star carriers who we have flown frequently in the past 4 years. We chose China Southern for our flights to Australia due to the price difference. Provided China Southern continue to undercut the competition, I will always fly with them.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Wayne Zhou (Canada)

CZ3189 from Shenzhen to Beijing on April 2nd. The weather in Shenzhen was terrible. I was told the flight would be delayed for almost 4 hours. Fortunately, while I was staying in the lounge, the ground staff were very patient and nice. They kept me informed of the latest information on my flight every half hour until take off. Although my flight was delayed, I believe I still will choose China Southern next time.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by I Majoli (UK)

CZ304, London to Guangzhou, Business class. Staff very friendly, attentive and helpful. Our seats 14 K and H were not reclining so we changed to 14 G and D which were reclining but a bit loose as they were happily swinging. Our TV screens were not working. Stop in Guangzhou, wait in the lounge. Ok but if you are vegetarian, no much to eat. We had a refreshing shower. Boarding next flight, CZ305 to Auckland, Business class. From the start, a strong argument in Chinese with a lady economy class passenger. 4 economy passengers were seated in business class for take off, after which two of them refused to move. Finally they were sent back to economy class. Curtains do not work. All the flight through, economy class passengers were strolling through business class, talking loudly. My seat 14A was not reclining so I had to move seat again. The food was good for my husband and for me (vegetarian option), friendly staff. But at one time, our crew member apologised as she was called to help in economy class. Landing in Auckland. Already the huge wave of economy class passengers were rushing through the curtains and was contained by two ladies cabin crew. Luggage collection: We should have got our luggage in priority being business class passengers. Our luggage were the last ones to arrive. It was a very unpleasant experience, with many passengers pushing through and piling their numerous pieces of luggage next to you. We have to travel back in two weeks time. Hope that the trip will be more pleasant and of a better quality. On the good side, the planes are new and the pilots excellent.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Jasmine Lufti (UK)

Heathrow to Bangkok, Thailand via Guangzhou, China. I was pleasantly surprised about how great the flight was both ways. We flew a Boeing 787, economy seats. We were provided with a blanket, soft pillow and headphones for the in- flight entertainment system and the seats were comfy. On the way out my boyfriend, who is 6ft, did not mind the amount of leg room (although we cheekily asked the China Southern check in rep to book us in the seats with more legroom just before the start of first class on the way back, which was excellent as we could fully stretch out). We were fed twice on each 12 hour leg of the journey. We were also offered plenty of drinks and were given snacks by the cabin crew, who were all Chinese, polite and spoke good English. My only disappointment on the way out was that my entertainment screen was broken, but instead of asking to be moved I just shared my boyfriend's screen as there were two headphone sockets. There was plenty of choice of new, classic, Asian, etc movies, music, games and so on to keep us occupied. In comparison to other long haul flights I've taken, the seat belt signs did go on quite a bit due to mild turbulence, but I appreciate being safe than sorry! Lastly the toilets were fine and clean, the connecting flights were fine (received another meal then) and the ground crew were helpful at Guangzhou. All in all, I had no problem with this airline.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2014 by Harry Clark (UK)

LHR-CAN-LHR. Brand new Boeing 787, very modern and clean. The price for a full service airlines flight was by far the cheapest and most valuable. For this rate, I was happy that it's a safe and comfortable flight and anything on top of that was a plus. The inflight entertainment, catering and communication were average but if you wish to pay more for movies, gourmet food and native English, then CZ isn't your choice.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by R Stanton (New Zealand)

Very attentive staff, easy to communicate with. Nice comfortable reclining seat and the food was ok. Flying from Auckland to Moscow via Guangzhou. When I arrived at Guangzhou an airline staff member met me and offered me hotel accommodation as I had a long wait over. I had not asked for this. He then guided me through customs. I have never had that level of service before on any airline! The seats on the 787 were very nice and the entertainment section was fine. The staff were using English as their second language, and possibly third, so one must expect some less than perfect communication. I hope the return journey is going to be as good.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by Laura Humphries (USA)

14th March, flight number CZ327. Flew from Guangzhou to Los Angeles on 330-200 for a business trip. Good facilities at the airport, very kind and helpful staff, good baggage allowance. No delays. The seat on this plane was comfortable. They could do better on the food and entertainment.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by Dave McCormick (Canada)

Oct 12/13, YVR-CAN, flight CZ330. Oct 13/13, CAN-KTM, flight CZ3067. Nov 17/13, KTM-CAN, flight CZ3068. Nov 18/13, CAN-YVR, flight CZ329. I flew from Vancouver to Guangzhou to Kathmandu and back in Oct/Nov 2013. Flights were on time, I liked the food, my luggage arrived, the cost was better than the competition, the plane was clean, the staff helpful, including office staff in Kathmandu where we had to change our flights. Can't really ask for more than that. The only possibly negative thing I could mention is the 8-hour layover in Guangzhou connecting from our flight from KTM to our flight to YVR.  Guangzhou airport isn't all that interesting for an extended wait. However, things like that can't be helped.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Ingrid Davies (Canada)

Our flight to China from Vancouver was far below an acceptable level. The televisions didn't work, staff were less than helpful and not once did they come around to collect trash. Passengers were congregating in the back of the plane asking for water and other beverages while staff sat eating their lunch and snacks. We understand that they are entitled to breaks, but they were hardly visible in the cabin other than to deliver meals. Although our flight home was on a new plane and staff were much more accommodating, we were unable to do online check in, and were told that our seats were pre-selected for us. My husband and I were seated at least six rows apart.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by P Wilson (Canada)

The flight from Vancouver to Guangzhou was terrible, tight cramped seats in a less than clean plane. Washrooms were smelly and poorly maintained. Service was minimal, had to go to the back of the plane where staff were socializing, to request a beverage. The return flight was on their new Dreamliner, which was clean, however seating was small and very cramped. We had booked these flights months in advance but there was no option to book seats and were forced to sit apart!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Maarten Jonkman (Netherlands)

Amsterdam - Guangzhou - Auckland v.v. in Boeing 787 and Airbus A330-200. Good modern planes with friendly and helpful staff. Food good for an airplane. Legroom good enough for my 1.90m. Seats rather hard to sit on. No delays or other incidents. Most passengers were Chinese speaking, but a considerable number not. Overall the command of English of the FA's was poor.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Kevin Noss (USA)

A frequent flyer of China Southern, mostly flying between Chinese major cities. Unlike the other reviews, I think their service is excellent, flight attendants are nice and helpful. Last week from Shanghai to Shenzhen, we were given a free upgrade as they noticed we were with a 5 month old baby. Food was ok and the leg room makes the flight more enjoyable. The ground service is much more than we expected as we speak only a little Chinese and they did a pretty good job on explaining everything to us.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by Lisa Douglas (Australia)

I have flown China Southern many times. Melbourne to Guangzhou leg is not great compared to other airlines. However, I fly during the night so pretty much sleep anyway and don't have any need for entertainment system. Food is not to my taste so I take my own to get through. In terms of value it is unbeatable. Guangzhou to Amsterdam leg is a different plane and much better. Thoroughly recommend but don't get on expecting top tier bells and whistles. Great for the additional luggage allowance.

İ 1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax