China Eastern Airlines Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Alex Guo    (China)

Flew their new B77W from SHA to PEK in F two weeks ago. Overall the experience was mixed. Pros - needless to say brand new airplane and facilities. Above average (based on my experience on Chinese carriers) crew. Meal was nicely presented. Large IFE screen with plenty of choices. Cons - my seat did not go flat. I don't know if it's a mechanical failure so I asked an attendant to help me. She wasn't able to recline it either. Maybe acceptable for this 2hrs flight but certainly unacceptable for long haul. Annoying ads before every IFE program but overall worth trying out.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by M Mckeown    (Australia)

I flew China Eastern on a recent trip between Melbourne and China. The seats are very uncomfortable, they are skinny and hard with little leg room. I am 6'2" tall and requested an exit aisle seat for extra leg room which they accommodated however they said there was no way one of my travel companions could sit with me and the 5 people from my group were seated at the other end of the plane from me. This would be fine if all the exit aisle seats and other seats around me weren't empty once we were fully boarded! The food was acceptable and there were regular drinks offered, their English style breakfast was odd to say the least, I would opt for the Asian style were I to travel with them again. The service on the flight was friendly and welcoming. The TV on any of the flights didn't work for me, either there was no sound or the screen wouldn't stay up or it just wouldn't turn on. Not on a single flight did it work. It did work for some of my travel companions and they tell me they were able to watch some recent movies and TV shows with a selection of English, Indian, Chinese and Japanese shows to choose from. I can't really comment on the quality however as I was never able to access it. All in all it is a budget airline and you get what you pay for but it was much better quality than I expected for the bargain price we paid.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Lorraine Wilson    (Canada)

Flew Sept 10/14 Vancouver to Shanghai, return Sept 25 plus 4 domestic flights. All planes were new, comfy and had great staff! The 330-200's had individual entertainment screens. We were surprised and impressed. No baggage issues, no problems. One of the 6 flights was late 20 minutes. It was a tour arranged by China star, well done on all accounts.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Audrey Ferguson    (UK)

We had 5 flights with China Eastern, while visiting China and Hong Kong. Our largest journey was Heathrow to Shanghai. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Aeroplane was very comfortable and choice of entertainment was fantastic. Only problem on every flight, there was not a Vegetarian meal for me, this was booked with our Tour Operator and requested three times during our visit. The Steward on the Heathrow flight managed to find some food for me, so I thank him for that.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by J Watson    (South Korea)

For the price, it was great bang for my buck. I flew a roundtrip from Seoul to New Delhi for $450, can't beat that. Everyone else was charging at least $1000. The plane to New Delhi was nice and had a PTV screen in the seat. The food was whatever but it an airline food so I don't have high expectations. The stewardess were a refreshing change from US carriers. I would definitely fly with them again. I wrote this review to balance all the negative things said. I was completely satisfied with everything.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Michael Pan    (Canada)

MU598, Vancouver to Shanghai, July 12th. MU581, Shanghai to Vancouver, August 10th. I took a round trip between Vancouver and Shanghai with China Eastern. The flight attendants spoke fluent English (with a Chinese accent). The planes on both trips were new Airbus A330-200s (a huge improvement from the A340s I used to fly). The planes were clean with comfortable seats, great inflight entertainment systems, plenty of leg room, and convenient USB charging ports. The meals were very tasty. The crews on the ground and in the air were very helpful and friendly. Both flights left on time, one arrived on time, and the other arrived an hour early. From the check-in to picking up my luggage at the destination, the whole experience has been quite enjoyable. The fact that the whole trip cost me under $1000 made it even better!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by M Edmundson    (Australia)

I travel in and out of China regularly transferring at Guangzhou and then on to Kunming with China Southern Airlines. I was forced make changes to my usual pattern and ended up having to use China Eastern, transferring to a domestic flight at Shanghai. I should have arrived at Kunming around midnight, but due to 'unspecified delays' at Shanghai, didn't clear Kunming airport till well after 4am. Return flight to Sydney was even worse. Left Kunming on time, but with China Eastern there is a 6 hour wait at Shanghai for a connecting flight, so my travel agent got me to transfer at Nanjing instead, should have been only a 3 hour wait - Nanjing isn't set up for proper international transfers, so you have to unload your baggage at Nanjing, exit the domestic terminal and go through the booking process again at the international check in. And guess what, China Eastern has different rules as regards baggage on domestic and international flights, so I ended up having to abandon an oversized item I was bringing back at Nanjing airport. The officious supervisors at the China Eastern check in counter weren't interested in the fact that I had booked the baggage in at their Kunming counter knowing full well that I was flying on to Sydney. The kicker was that the flight on to Sydney was delayed 2.5 hours for 'unspecified reasons', so didn't even get the shorter wait time anticipated. I will in future be making every effort to avoid flying with China Eastern Airways or transferring via Shanghai and Nanjing.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Matthew Zhang    (USA)

I flew China Eastern Airlines from Chongqing-Jinan. The seats are very uncomfortable, there is a very thin padding that separates your body from the metal under the seat. There is absolutely no entertainment, no drop down TV screens or personal TV screens. The food is very nasty and tastes inedible, the rice was very dry and tasted like it was over a week old, the vegetables have no seasoning and tasted horrible, the beef was the worst, the meat tasted very dry and was under heated, as though it were a leftover from another airline, it was cooked in a sauce that had no flavor and tasted like water. Passengers randomly got up during take-off and landing when the seat belt sign was on and no flight attendants even tried to tell people to sit down. I will never fly China Eastern Airlines again because of it's terrible service and nasty food.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  3 August 2014 by H Kaaber    (UK)

Flew LHR-PDG-SYD and returned three weeks later. Was somewhat tentative given some of the reviews on here but the price was at least £200 cheaper than next best fare. Needn't have worried, the flights were punctual on all legs, the planes were very clean and the attendants very helpful, albeit some have limited English. The food was good, though best on the legs from LHR and from SYD to PDG. IFE was excellent with a wide range of films and games. The flight booked for the return leg was changed three months prior to flying, and we were informed by email. We left SYD later in the day and were accommodated in the airport hotel overnight in Shanghai, which broke the journey up nicely. Would be happy to fly with this airline again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Derek Carter    (UK)

My wife, stepson and I chose this airline because I naively though they were trying to encourage travel to China, how wrong I was. My wife has a mobility problem, we were told by airline staff at Pudong airport, that they must have the supplied wheelchair now, so my wife was without a wheelchair for over one hour whilst I arranged with the information desk for a replacement wheelchair - she was unable to look in the shops or go to the toilet during this time. The crew that I had dealings with were more concerned with the requests of Chinese people before the other passengers, probably because they spoke little or no English. On all the trips we had problems with obtaining a wheelchair for my wife, the worst incident being on our return trip when we were checking in at 9.30am, we were informed that no wheelchair was available until 11am. After nearly 30 minutes of trying to communicate with staff with a poor understanding of English and asking to speak to a manager, we finally obtained a wheelchair, then the flight was delayed by over two hours after being told to arrive at the departure gate an hour before take off so we could enter the plane on "priority". At no time were we given ant information for the delay and gate change and having to read the " Departures board", or ask at the Information desk. I had no inflight entertainment for the last three hours of the journey from Pudong to Heathrow.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Pravin Byahatti    (India)

Shanghai to Hong Kong to connect to Jet Airways for Mumbai - India, 12th July 2014. This is the worst airline to travel. Most of the time the flights get delayed. Cabin crew cannot speak English. No timely announcements. Flight got delayed 3.5 hours, missed my connecting Jet Airways flight. No proper care taken by ground staff at Hong Kong airport. No proper arrangement made for return to home destination.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by C Denson    (UK)

Yichang to Shanghai on 9 June. Flight left on time. Plane clean but very little legroom. Flight an d cabin crew have very limited English. Impossible to understand the announcements. Pilot seemed to climb very high for a long time on take off. Flight was very bumpy with seat-belt sign on most of the flight. Landing was "interesting" - plane bounced onto runway. Not a pleasant experience.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Rohan McCarthy-Gill    (Australia)

SYD-SHA-YVR, Economy Class. I was anxious about taking these flights, as while I've flown internal flights within China on China Eastern, I'd not yet used them long-haul. The aircraft interior was brand new on both legs, with comfortable seats, new-looking IFE screens, although with quite a limited choice. The flight attendants were extremely polite, friendly on boarding and very responsive to call requests. The food was adequate only in that it was edible - it was served on the SYD-SHA leg in a plastic box, and on the SHA-YVR leg in a tray. The choice for both meals on both legs was just a variation of chicken/seafood, rice/noodles. The dessert was okay though! Alcohol was very limited - just red wine and beer. But they were very responsive to refills (I asked early, to avoid missing out). The return flight from Sydney to Vancouver was just AUD $1,500, and to be honest - I felt that China Eastern has (so far) offered value for money.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Alex Guo    (China)

Flew Shanghai Pudong (PVG) - Beijing (PEK), domestic first class on an A321. Lounge in PVG was a disappointment - I'd say below average standards across China based on my experiences. Flight itself was good. Seat was a recliner. Typical on narrow-body, legroom was good but didn't recline much. Food was pretty tasty, asked for beer and water and was provided. Crew came around often and were friendly. There was personal IFE, but the controls were a bit difficult to figure out, and the touch-screen was slow to respond. Overall a pleasant experience though minor things can be improved. Considering the price I paid (even a little less than full-fare economy when I booked a week in advance), I would definitely recommend.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Frank Zhao    (Thailand)

June 14, KMG to BKK. Flight was on time, only about half full or less. Flight attendants were polite and friendly. Food was acceptable given the only 2-hour flight. Because the airport was newly built and there were not many international flight out from KMG, the international section of the airport was very spacious. Overall it was a good experience.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Biswas Jayant    (India)

PVG-CCU via KMG, June 8-9, Economy. My ticket clearly stated PVG-CCU. Flight was via KMG with a 23 hr. stopover. My booking for 8th June was cancelled by the airline due to cancellation of their KMG-CCU flight on June 8. At that time (a month before) I was given the option to cancel the entire booking, but it was too late and any fresh booking would cost me much more, so I opted for the date change to June 9. However when I arrived for check-in at PVG, they refused to provide through check-in to CCU, and said that I would have to collect my baggage at KMG and go for a fresh check-in. This was ridiculous since PVG is the home base of China Eastern and they can easily manage to put systems in place for through check-in for through bookings. But they refused and when I met the duty supervisor, she told me to contact the check-in counter at KMG for immediate check-in. However as expected, when I arrived at KMG at midnight, none of their counters were open. I managed to locate the duty supervisor who refused to help out. I had to spend money and stay in a hotel. When I returned to the airport the next day around 6 pm, again they refused to check me in until 9 pm.

SFO-PVG, June 6 Economy. Aircraft was a A-330-200, which was quite new. Seats were good and the crew service also good. They were serving beverages and water throughout the 12 hour flight. The toilets were also being maintained by the crew. Two meals and a snack were served; which were reasonably OK. There was option of chicken-rice and beef-noodles for lunch, but by the time they reached our seats (62) they ran out of the chicken. I had to wait some time and was given a vegetarian option instead. The flight was on time, in fact arrived before schedule at Shanghai. However my later subsequent flights were a bad experience, which is why I would avoid taking this airline in future.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by A Yuriy    (USA)

I took Shanghai Airlines 767 (China Eastern Subsidiary) from Singapore to PVG, then hopped on a China Eastern A340-600 on the long trip to JFK. Then a couple months later did the same thing in reverse. I loved my experience, although such long flights are tough, the China Eastern crew made it seem shorter. I am 6'4 so when I politely asked check-in attendants if they had any leg room seats, I got them both times with no hassle and no extra charge which would never happen on any U.S. airlines. Food was decent, entertainment was decent. But then again, I don't fly for the food and entertainment. Staff was great, and that's what counts.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by R Ostermann    (Germany)

I cannot recommend to take China Eastern within China, as their staff is not able to speak English sufficiently. I was supposed to go from Changsha to Shanghai at 8 am this morning, but the plane was delayed, but nobody could tell me to the new departure was. My question about connection (3h 30min) or going via another route was understood by nobody. Arriving in Shanghai 4hrs late, I just missed my connection and there was no help to rebook it (original quote: "No our fault, bad weather", leaving me very disappointed, waiting 12h for the next connection and never using China Eastern again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by J Biswas    (India)

PVG-SFO, A330-200. Seats were OK. Flight pretty much on time and cabin crew were quite attentive. During the 11 hr flight they served 2 meals and 1 snack with rounds of water and juice. The meals were all Chinese but sufficient, only choice of pork and fish was offered. The snack was hot and refreshing. The crew try to be friendly with their almost zero knowledge of English. The toilets were clean though no supplies inside, no toothbrush or face lotion; only hand-wash. The choice of entertainment was poor though each seat had a screen and a USB port. Pillow and blanket was provided upon request. The seat belt signs were kept on for most of the flight duration. Only some airline magazines were available for reading.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by J Liu    (USA)

Surprisingly enough, online check in was not available. Flight schedule was not available online either. A330, middle cabin air conditioning didn't work. There were no air outlet over the seats. TV screen was in the middle section of the plane and people had a hard time watching if sitting by the windows. Electrical outlets behind the seats were not powered to charge the electronics equipment. The entertainment was a joke. The same low grade movies were played both ways. No music to listen to. If not because of passengers brought their own entertainment, they would be bored to tears.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Michael Likely    (Australia)

SYD-PVG-LHR and return April/May, A330-330/-200. I agree largely with the comments of Mr Rory Moore. Areas requiring improvement are lounges in PVG, IFE (a dying breed anyway), and perhaps the ground and cabin staffs' command of English. Otherwise no problems - punctual, clean, attentive service and excellent value for money.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by O Kelvin    (Singapore)

Shanghai to Singapore, return and Shanghai to Beijing return. Shocked that for all 4 flights, there was a delay of 30 mins - 1 hour. Singapore to Shanghai flight, air conditioning broke down and I was for sweating half the time. Shanghai to Singapore flight, the plane wasn't even there when boarding was supposed to begin. Shanghai to Beijing return was okay albeit with the usual lateness. Domestic flight vs International Flight issue? Based on my flight experience for the past 6 months with both budget and full service airlines, definitely say this airline is between Budget and Full Service in terms of overall quality.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by John Martin Villanueva    (Philippines)

Manila - Shanghai - Los Angeles and return. Aircraft - Manila to Shanghai was a new A321 outbound and an old A320 inbound. Aircraft was well maintained and comfortable feeling. For the Shanghai to LAX long haul, they still utilised the A340-600 which didn't have personal entertainment so you're at the mercy of watching the centralised movies. Its a disadvantage specially travelling with small kids. In general the aircraft's of this airline were okay. Cabin Crew - Generally all Chinese crew. Some were pleasant, some were not. They had a hard time understanding and speaking English but some do quite well. Though you could feel that they are trying their damn best. Food and beverage - Food was traditional Chinese but beware if you're travelling with children. They will most likely not be satisfied. Beverages were served in room temp. Chinese are not fond of ice. Transit terminal - PVG Terminal 1 is a bit old and if you're connecting, I suggest a maximum waiting time of 3 hours in this terminal. Nothing to do here. Overall, I would rate this airline okay and would still recommend to others if you can get a very good deal from them.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Chen Kim    (USA)

Flew LAX-PVG-KUL on March 28, return trip Apr 15. Outbound: Seat was hard and lumpy. Food was awful, one bottle of wine for the entire plane. Return flight from PVG to LAX: Flight attendant was incredibly rude. When I asked if I may have a beer, he shouted "no beer" without looking at me and walked away. I fly frequently and this was the first flying China Eastern. It is easily the worst airline I have flown. The only thing good about my flights was that they landed and were relatively on-time.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by M Rutter    (Hong Kong)

Flight from Xi'an to Shenzhen on 22nd April was delayed nearly 3 hours but there was no formal announcement of this fact. We were told to just wait. Initial rearranged departure time of 11.00 was eventually pushed back to 12.15 but the general impression was of an airline which did not seem to mind wasting 3 hours of our time. They should have explained the reason for the delay and been honest about the extent of the delays - none of this happened.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by Tim Diggle    (UK)

Flew LHR to Shanghai (Pudong) and back with internal flights (to HK, Xian, Beijing) between. Internal flights were reasonable in planes comfortable for 2 hour trips and a meal provided on each. No seat back IFE but no need for short trips. Long haul flights in new Airbus were very good. Seat back IFE with large range of choice - good quality food (what is aviation radish??) - attentive staff and regular drinks available (I do not consume alcohol while flying so cannot comment). Seat pitch very good, much better than European Airlines. Overall very impressed with quality and value and would both recommend and use again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by J Murray    (Australia)

Travelled Singapore to Shanghai return. Flight to Shanghai was overnight. new aircraft with lie flat seats, departure on time. It was odd that there was no service in business class cabin after take off, until breakfast, not even a bottle of water. I say this, because when I went to the toilet, the crew in economy were busy organising meals. No big deal, as I didn't want a meal, but just strange. Breakfast was fresh and tasty. Flight back was in older aircraft with Shanghai Airways. Crew attentive and meal was ok. Flight was on time. Great value for money, being less than half the price of other options. I would use this airline again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 April 2014 by P Sansom    (Australia)

Shanghai to Melbourne in March, although it was a Qantas code-share flight there was not one mention of Qantas or a QF number up on the board. Overnight flight but no ear plugs, mask or socks handed out. No bottles of water given out, but when I went to the galley noticed they had some so when I asked for two was given them. I was lucky to be given a pair of slippers after a toilet had been flooded and it had to be mopped up by a steward. No complaints about the staff. Food was inedible. We had a glass of wine each and asked for another glass and they informed us they only had two bottles of both red and white wine allocated per cabin e.g. approx. 120 people and it had all gone.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Rory Moore    (Australia)

SYD-PVG-CDG-PVG-SYD during March. Departures on all legs were within two minutes of scheduled time and all arrivals either on time or early. Cabin crew were attentive, without being in your face, meals were delicious, especially the Chinese options, and wine, beer and spirits kept coming. IFE offered a great selection of international, western and Chinese movies. Cabin cleanliness superb and the PJ's and the lie flat beds were wonderful. The less said about the PVG lounges, the better.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Takumi Measu    (Cambodia)

My flight was from Shanghai to Siem Reap. Ground staff didn't make any announcements for boarding even though it was nearly last call, I was about to miss my flight. Aircraft was A320, it looked new but economy class had no entertainment system. That was fine but the most awful thing was the crew. They were shouting at passengers. The meal tasted awful! I will not recommend to passengers wanting good service!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by F Simon    (China)

MU 5806 from Shanghai to Lijiang on Feb 24th 2014. Worst Chinese Airline on domestic flights, considering that most of then are of a poor standard, that says a lot about MU service. Check-in couldn't accommodate 2 people traveling together on the same row of seats. Flight delayed 1.5 hours as per usual due to traffic, funny enough only 3 planes where delayed in Hongqiao Airport Shanghai at that time, 3 of them from China Eastern. Rude flight attendants, plane was new though, that's the only good point. Food as always was terrible, on the second flight they didn't serve dinner because of turbulence, might be better off not eating it anyway. Will avoid this airline as much as I can, and Shanghai Airlines that they own is the same.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by T Hermans    (Australia)

PVG-PEK lounge at PVG was very tired and worn out. First class was old and outdated and did not have any IFE. Priority luggage came out last and regular passengers ignored the first class baggage waiting area as staff just watched. Very poor service.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  15 February 2014 by Bruce Curry    (UK)

My wife and I flew from London to Sydney (with a 2 night stopover on the return leg). We really enjoyed the experience. The lie-flat seats were very comfortable and the food and drink were mostly excellent. The cabin staff worked really hard to deliver a very high level of service. The trip went very smoothly. Transit at Pudong is very easy. You need to go to the transit desk and then back to the gate, but a bit of exercise on a long trip is a good idea. Getting a short stay visa for Shanghai is also easy, although the very pleasant official called his supervisor to check our printed e-tickets. The Skyteam lounge at Heathrow is fine, as is the Qantas lounge at Sydney. As others have said, the lounge at Pudong is below par. Overall, great value for money.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by H Baker    (UK)

We flew LHR-Shanghai-Melbourne return, having chosen the airline due to a good price and a desire to stopover in Shanghai. We were a little apprehensive having read some negative reviews but found our experience with them quite satisfying. The cabin crew were very obliging and helpful and there was surprisingly good leg room. We were able to get an emergency exit aisle seat on two of the sectors without having to pay extra - this was a nice bonus! The seats were adequately comfortable. As for the inflight entertainment there is not as much variety as you may get from more well known airlines but there was enough variety to keep your interest. On the way back we had a 7 hour delay due to an issue with the plane. Although this was annoying, we were given meal vouchers to use at Melbourne Airport - the value of these was more then enough for two of us to have two really nice meals! Also when we arrived in Shanghai we were given compensation there as well. Having been delayed before on other airlines, it was refreshing to receive adequate compensation as this has not always been offered in the past so it was very pleasing to see how well they dealt with the situation. All in all, China Eastern offer good value for money and are worth trying out. The important thing is not to expect an Emirates or Singapore Airlines experience - you are paying about half the price so it won't be to that level. However what you get for the price is very good.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by J Ireland    (China)

30th Jan, Pudong to Thailand, returning 8th Feb. Easily the worst airline I've used and I travel weekly by plane. Always late, I'd take a 1 hour flight delay every time as that would be an improvement. The 3 reasons given for delays (take your pick) are from 1) Late arrival of incoming flight. 2) Air traffic control or 3) The weather. All of which mask the most basic problem, seems no one actually takes responsibility for delivery of a good service.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Steve Culpan    (China)

Feb 2014 - domestic flight Wuxi to Shenzhen. Rude priority counter check-in staff, awful dirty lounge with little/no food or drink, useless and careless staff, ignored at priority queue and had to wait whilst economy passengers allowed to board, onboard awful food and worst red wine I have tasted, last luggage off although supposedly priority. Would only ever use again as a last resort!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Kas John    (UK)

London to Shanghai, Shanghai to Sydney and return. All flights on time. A330-300, clean with good economy seating. Good service, food was good and enough but no spirits with only beer and wine in very small offerings. Inflight entertainment excellent on rear seat facilities. Lavatories cleaned regularly.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Allan Shi    (Australia)

Sydney - Shanghai - Beijing - Shanghai - Sydney. Having read many negative comments, I was pleasantly surprised with this airline. Although one flight was delayed, it wasn't their fault as congestion in Beijing can get quite terrible. The flight attendants were cheerful, especially on the international flights and were very attentive to detail and answered the call button almost immediately which made the journey much more pleasant. A few times I saw flight attendants cleaning the toilets which passengers don't normally get to see on other airlines. Both international flights were red-eye but I got a fair bit of sleep which refreshed me coming into Shanghai and being quite tall (185cm) I found the seat pitch very good. However the meals were a bit meagre and not up to the standard of for example Qantas. Also they need to improve on in-flight entertainment, as on half of the flights it was the drop-down TV and the other half was personal TV. Overall, I am very impressed with this airline as it was much cheaper than its competitors and coupled with a generous baggage allowance of 46kg, I would recommend this airline!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Barry Smith    (Spain)

Outbound MU 552 and MU 562. Inbound flights MU 561 and MU551. Travelled London-Shanghai-Sydney in November returning in January, business class all the way and it was fantastic. All flights on time, food excellent, service from the Chinese Crew brilliant, all spoke enough English. Value for money was excellent, £4300 pounds return for 2 of us, will definitely fly with China Eastern again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Steven Cao    (China)

Awful airline company! Never on time, each time delay 40 minutes to 1.5hr for recently Shanghai Hongqiao-Wuhan return, Shanghai Hongqiao-Kunming-Dali. Food and beverage quality bad, narrow seat pitch very uncomfortable. Even budget airline is better than MU!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  22 January 2014 by C Watson    (Switzerland)

PVG-BKK, A330, SGN-PVG, A320. Essentially China Eastern is fine, nothing special and a bit rough around the edges. Flight out 30 minutes late, flight in an hour late due to PVG ATC (likely congestion due to the Chinese Air Force only allocating 20% of air space to civilian operations so not the staff's fault.) Fairly new planes, decent leg room, blankets etc. The "meal" in both directions was actually a large showcase of Chinese snack foods. It was interesting to discover "aviation radish" and hickory kernels (actually pretty good and probably some people's idea of heaven) but it's not really a meal. A small selection of beer and wine on the first round - this had disappeared on subsequent drink rounds. IFE consisted of surprisingly good audio channels (bring your own headphones as theirs were no good.) PVG is quite an efficient if pricey (for China) airport but transferring is a pain as you now have to clear immigration, customs and check-in again (count two hours). Glad I had a code share for the long haul legs of my journey - I won't be queuing up to fly them again but they're fine if I have to.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by L Kundi    (UK)

December 2013 flew to Australia via Shanghai to return 3 weeks later, the flights were all on time, the business class seats were great and to be able to lay flat was such a bonus. The food was fantastic and the service on all flights was first class, very impressed and would fly with them again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Chawla Manoj    (USA)

Return flight from Los Angeles to New Delhi (India). Read many mixed reviews and against my better judgement, decided to give them a chance. That was one chance too many. On international flights (over 22 hours), you expect a few things, i.e. USB or AC charger, a working video screen and/or audio, somewhat edible airline food, and most of all, decent treatment. They failed in all categories. Rudest staff I have ever encountered. Avoid at all costs.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Cheray Davis    (Australia)

Although cheap from Los Angeles to Shanghai and then to Melbourne, a flight time of 25 gruelling hours. The cabin crew looked miserable and didn't make much effort so I felt hesitant to ask for anything. I did ask for an extra bread roll as I was starving and was given a flat out no. Nothing alcoholic worth drinking, but wish I'd brought snacks. The movies and all wording on the entertainment screens was Chinese. Not very helpful if you are not Chinese. The first plane didn't even have that option. Just a drop down from the ceiling TV screen like in the 1970's. Not impressed at all.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by Harty Carmel    (Australia)

My flights were from Melbourne to Shanghai, Shanghai to Vancouver, Vancouver to Shanghai and Shanghai to Melbourne. I was impressed with this airline and flights were all on time on A330-300 planes with individual large screens and great leg room. The hostesses were friendly and always happy to top up my water bottle. The meals were fine, as good as or as bad as any other airline but if your looking for alcohol there isn't much available. Before arrival a video takes you through a tai chi workout to get the body moving again. I wouldn't hesitate to fly China Eastern again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Y Zhang    (Canada)

JFK to PVG on Dec 7, and back on Dec 29. Having read many negative comments, my experience was in fact quite positive. Both flights were on time despite smog in Shanghai. Flight attendants were friendly and service were good. Meal choice included beef rice or chicken noodle, freshly made, canned beer was available. Entertainment was less than desired, as there was no individual TV panel, and little flight information was given. On return trip, I was sick with flu symptoms. Staff very kind and helpful, offered hot water, napkin and ice bags. Overall, I had very good experience, will definitely fly with this airline again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by D Mosley    (Australia)

Melbourne to Shanghai return. Melbourne Lounge is Qantas Business Lounge. Quite good. Aircraft on both legs is brand new A330-300. Lie flat beds, Fair inflight entertainment. Wine/beer/spirits selection is poor. Food is good though. Left and arrived on time. Shanghai Lounge is appalling. Warm beer, no wine at all, terrible food, most uncomfortable chairs imaginable, no business areas, uses airport wifi which is out of range. Don't bother going to this lounge - find a restaurant/bar upstairs. Apart from this lounge, overall package was most impressive and good vale for money. On board product is very good.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by J Keyes    (Canada)

Four flights with the airline: one way from Vancouver to Shanghai-Hong Kong-Shanghai-Paris. Outbound trip in economy to Hong Kong was the complete opposite of what I expected. It was a brand-new Airbus with individual seat- back televisions and a range of good movies with subtitles, pleasant, smiling, courteous flight attendants, a regular supply of water, periodic meals that were of average airline quality, best of all, a comfortable economy- class seat with decent legroom. After the Shanghai layover of several hours, the flight to HK was exactly like WestJet or Air Canada: on-time, followed by brisk, friendly in-flight service of complimentary refreshments. My luggage arrived in HK promptly. My ongoing flight to Paris several weeks later was a true test of an airline’s customer service. I had severely sprained my ankle in HK mere hours before the flight. At HK airport, China Easterns check-in crew volunteered a wheelchair before I even asked, then short-cut me through immigration and security and wheeled me directly to the boarding gate, even offering to help me shop at duty-free en route. During the flight to Shanghai, an attentive attendant asked if I wanted a wheelchair waiting for me there. Again I was pushed in a wheelchair through immigration and security to my Paris flight, which had all the creature comforts of the outbound one from Vancouver, plus the flight attendant found some Ibuprofen for me. She also arranged for a wheelchair to take me through the labyrinthine Paris airport, through customs, right to the taxi queue. China Eastern has my gratitude and vote of approval. I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Tim Harper    (UK)

PVG-HRB connecting from an Air France flight from Paris. China Eastern claimed that business class bookings on Air France are economy on their system, and failed to connect one of the travellers tickets so there was no seat for him. Checking in for the return leg China Eastern: Denied that we existed. Claimed the ticket had been cancelled. Admitted that it existed but that there were only 3 people travelling. Found the third but claimed that as his name was spelt one letter wrongly on the reservation he would not be allowed to fly - this despite them flying him from Shanghai to Harbin! Diabolical.