China Eastern Airlines Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  14 December 2012 by B Lim    (Singapore)

SIN-JFK with a transit in Shanghai. Both flights departed on time and arrived early. Cabin clean but a little dated. No personal in-flight entertainment systems even though it was a 20-hour journey. Crew got the job done but did not go beyond that - spoke limited English. Meals served did not always correspond to time (whether at the origin or the destination) - on my flight from Singapore to Shanghai, a full meal of rice/noodles was served 2 hours into take-off at 2am, and no breakfast was served even though the flight was scheduled to land at 6am. Similarly the 14-hour flight from Shanghai to JFK only saw 2 meals served, 2 hours after take-off and 2 hours before landing. Stereotypical airline food served, somewhat tasteless, but is not inedible. Best to bring your own food on board if you (1) are not inclined towards Chinese food, (2) are picky, or (3) are easily hungry. Toilets were clean. Many passengers (especially on the Shanghai-JFK leg) were loud and pushy. I had a decent experience with the airline, but I probably would not fly with them again if I can afford it.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2012 by Stephen Bustin    (UK)

LHR to PVG. Main gripe is that there is no online check-in which mean turning up at airport 3.5 hrs before flight departs and having to queue to get a good seat. Airplane very clean and good first impression. Seat comfortable and legroom excellent (seat 32D). Service lacklustre without much attempt to be quick. Poor selection (no sparkling water and no white wine). Food edible, but little thought for presentation or variety (cold starter, warm main and yogurt). Served dinner twice (2hrs into flight and 1.5 hrs before landing, when breakfast would have been more appropriate). Staff okay but not especially friendly or alert. Entertainment system excellent with HD-quality picture and lots of choice. Would have recommended but for lack of online checkin.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  30 November 2012 by F Melody    (France)

Beijing to Hong Kong via Kunming. When I checked in in Beijing, was told my luggage will not be transferred to Hong Kong, which meant that during my 1 hour transfer in Kunming I would have to take my luggage, check in again for Hong Kong, pass visa control, and security control again. Arrived in Kunming on time but waited 10 mins inside the plane. I had to run to get my luggage, go to the check in desk, arrived 2 mins before the end of check in - told they could not register my luggage because it was too late. They finally let me go with my luggage in the cabin. When I arrived at the boarding gate, I was told to hurry up! Finally left 15 mins late (some other passengers arrived after me). Arrived in Hong Kong, another 10 mins wait in the plane. Otherwise the flight was good, the hostesses were nice and polite, the food was ok, the seat comfortable.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2012 by Peter Thackray    (UK)

Flew PEK-XIY. New Airbus A321. Departure was about 15 minutes late due to incoming aircraft being delayed due to ATC problems. Boarding quick, but no special arrangements for Priority Customers. Overhead screens showing film in Chinese with very small English subtitles. Aircraft clean and tidy. Complimentary drink/snack offered during flight, crew spoke some English and all announcements in Mandarin and English.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2012 by C Gaynor    (Japan)

I flew from Tokyo Narita to Singapore via Shanghai, and I definitely got what I paid for. Three out of my 4 flights were delayed and only one was explained, since there were mechanical problems and it left 2.5 hours late. On my last flight, we started boarding when we were supposed to be taking off, and staff acted like it was normal (no explanation or apology given). The meals and staff were good; I would say the delays were the most aggravating. Probably won't travel with them again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2012 by Robert Stanley    (Thailand)

PVG-JFK-PVG. Old Airbus 340, no in-seat moves as advertised, no leg rest as advertised, poor food and very dirty planes both ways. Cheap flight, but you get what you pay for, I do this Asia to North America run 3 or 4 times a year. It's worth the extra $ for a western airline company.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2012 by K Hughes    (UK)

I flew return Paris CDG-Shanghai-Fukouka, flights were on time. Aircraft new, luggage was checked all the way through from Paris-Fukuoka and arrived no problem. Staff friendly. Paris to Shanghai flight had own entertainment station. There was a wide range of English films. Meals were good and comparable to other economy airline food. It was Chinese food beef and noodles, pork and rice, seafood and rice, dim sum. What else would you expect from a Chinese airline.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2012 by Steven Cao    (China)

Shanghai Pudong-Osaka return with very old B738 and A330, both on time. VIP lounge at Pudong and Osaka airport are small, packed, nothing to eat, cabin crew rude and unprofessional, food & drinks are very simple and tasteless, can't compare with ANA or Japan Airlines on the same route.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2012 by T Mukherjee    (USA)

On July 20th, I took off from Beijing to Kunming via China Eastern flight #5706 on my way to Kolkata (via flight# 555). The plane leaving from Beijing to Kunming was late by two hours. I missed the connecting flight to Kolkata. There was no guidance or help at Kunming. I picked up my checked luggage and went to the terminal for the connecting flight. I found a lot of confusion at the ticket counter and finally gathered that I had to wait for the same flight next night. The next day, after receiving the boarding pass, I arrived at the departure gate where the plane was delayed for more than hour - no announcement, no apology. My return trip from Kolkata to the USA was to be via China Eastern. Instead, I bought a one-way ticket via another airline. I realize I would not get a refund for the unused portion of the China Eastern ticket but I have no regrets.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2012 by Roger Stone    (Australia)

PEK-NKG in First (which is more like business class in many other countries). Despite the seemingly endless delays at Beijing that are common these days (often due to poor weather) my flight was good. Attention to detail seems to have improved markedly at China Eastern since my last flight with them. Breakfast was excellent and my bags arrived quickly at Nanjing. Only issue was at the special check in for first class in Beijing where the staff member did not seem to understand my electronic ticket. I even enjoyed the quality documentary played during the flight.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  17 September 2012 by Gilberto Camacho    (Macau)

HKG - Shanghai - Fukuoka and return: all 4 flights A320 were on time, all aircraft's looked new and similar to those of Easyjet. Staff speak fairly good English but lack experience in onboard servicing. Food was poor and looked careless. In general, inside the aircraft is cleaner and in better shape than some of British Airways aircraft's I've flown. Seat comfort normal. Customer service has a lot to improve.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2012 by B Buth    (China)

Sitting in the so called "First Class Lounge" of China Eastern Airlines in Shanghai Pudong Airport, waiting to board my domestic flight to Liuzhou? Checked in one and a half hours in advance and was directed to the lounge. Waiting to be called for boarding. All other flights are being called except mine. Finally, 30 minutes after scheduled boarding time I get up and ask when boarding would start. I am being told matter-of-factly that the flight is delayed by three hours, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. No apology or empathy. Lounge hostesses could not care less. Do not believe that it is their duty to inform guests of delays. Their job is only to inform of boarding times. China Eastern still don't understand customer service.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2012 by A O'Hearn    (Australia)

KUL-PVG, on A320-200, Business Class seat 6J. For a 5hr30min flight, this aircraft was not good - an international flight but was treated like a domestic flight. Pre take-off drinks fine, and then, although departure was 0155 (delayed to 0245) it was a drink after take off, and nothing until 1hr 30mins before landing, when breakfast was served. Aircraft old and the seats hard and you couldn't sleep on them. No IFE at all, not even music! Would not recommend Business Class on this type of China Eastern Airlines aircraft.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2012 by Jimmy Ludverd    (USA)

JFK-PVG-FOC. Was a disappointing flight. 30 minutes delay after we boarded the aircraft. FA's served few cups of water after the takeoff and weren't seen for the next 4 hours. Seat uncomfortably narrow with very little leg room. No individual IFE and movies were played repeatedly. A cold and tasteless sandwich served before landing. Overall, good value for the money but I will not fly this airline again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 August 2012 by AP Sebire    (Australia)

Sydney to London return in economy was a major feat of endurance with this airline. No online check-in, check-in staff in PVG didn't know which rows were the exit rows, IFE was amateurish (two movies repeated endlessly on drop-down screens on both flights, except when someone had recorded one over the other, cutting it off before the end), toilets were filthy by the end of each 10 hr flight. Even adjusting for the common 30-60 minute boarding delays, two of the three flights arrived at times over an hour different to what was on the ticket! The newish A330s were okay if, unlike my neighbour, your seat didn't break. Biggest hassle was their inability to check through luggage from partner airlines in Shanghai: I had to collect my bag from the KLM flight and then lug it upstairs, queue endlessly, and check it in again for China Eastern to Sydney, even though the bag tag said SYD. The most disorganised airline I've ever flown with!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  25 July 2012 by Y Yang    (China)

PVG-DPS return in business class. Check-in is swift in PVG. Lounge in PVG T1 is dated. Both legs are delayed for one hour. Well maintained A333 with pod seats, though not real lie-flat, comfortable enough for sleeping. Food is very average, not up to a business class standard. Service is sufficient but you would expect much more. AVOD works well but the screens on bulk head seats are way too small. I will definitely choose MU J class again if the price is as competitive as this trip (less than USD900 for a 6 hours return flight).