China Eastern Airlines Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  15 November 2013 by Graeme Baxter    (Zambia)

Shanghai - Beijing, First Class. Good flight, first class ticket was less than a normal economy ticket. Airport lounge was busy but had plenty of fresh coffee, finger food, snacks and newspapers. Bussed directly from the lounge when boarding, air-crew were pleasant. Overall a really good flight.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  15 November 2013 by M Satin    (USA)

Nov 14th my flight from Chengdu to Shanghai PVG was delayed 1.5 hours. I missed my flight from Shanghai to Toronto because of this. China Eastern's "supervisor" said they would put me up in a hotel and help make arrangements the next day to get me back home. I was told to be at the airport at 11 am the next morning to arrange a new flight schedule. I got to the airport at 10.30 and went over to the supervisor's desk and was rudely told that China Eastern was not responsible for any of the issues from the delayed flight. They have no idea about customer service and I will never use this airline again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by Chris Dore    (UK)

CJU-PVG B737 Short flight. Comfortable seating. Light meal served with coffee/tea. Inflight entertainment available but did not partake.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by David Choo    (Malaysia)

Kuala Lumpur to Vancouver (via Shanghai) and return, I purchased this ticket because it was the cheapest among all other airlines. The flights from Shanghai to Vancouver and return were on time, and the food they served quite ok (except for the breakfast). Their cabin crew were a little impolite when you ask them in English, but if you speak in Mandarin you could actually see a positive change in their attitude. I remembered asking them for a drink in English, and one of the cabin crews asked me to get it by myself. But when I used mandarin and asked them in the same manner, I got a free refill of my bottle and a wider smile. The comfort of the seat (Shanghai to Vancouver) was good, the leg room is quite big. I will go for this airline again on my next visit, for the price I paid, I think it's value for money. The plane is new, the inflight entertainment system has a touch-screen function with a few good movies and relaxation music.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  7 November 2013 by J Wang    (USA)

I fly from SFO to PVG (Shanghai) at least once a year for the past 10 years. This is by far the worst in terms of food and amenities. During service for first round of drinks and peanuts the staff did not provide napkins, and no I wasn't skipped by accident. The food quality is terrible. What was served was worse than a $2 meal you can get in Shanghai. The rice was hard, fish, beef, chicken all dried out. If you want soft drinks instead of a can you get about 2/3 of a small cup. Selection is extremely limited, no ginger ale, only 1 kind of beer. Only recommend if this is the cheapest flight you can find. You really get what you pay for in this case. The seats are probably the hardest ever for me on a plane. Only highlight is the inflight entertainment, you do get a good selection of movies to choose from.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by J Shull    (USA)

I flew China Eastern for the first time from Los Angeles to Shanghai and I was most impressed. The service and food in Business Class were top notch, the cabin was quiet and peaceful and the experience was very good. The negatives were the seats did. It go fully flat and the entertainment system was in seat monitor which had a low res picture.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by C Golds    (Australia)

Myself and 3 others flew business class Melbourne Australia and Rome return via Shanghai. We had no issues apart from a 30 minute delay leaving Melbourne (you can get delayed longer on Qantas) and a 1 hour delay leaving Rome on the return flight. The whole trip we couldn't have been more pleased with both the service and inflight experience for the whole journey. The cabin attendants were excellent, the plane was relatively new with the seating arrangements being great. I'm a regular flyer for business and have had worse experiences on some of the better known companies such as Virgin, Cathay Pacific and United Airlines. Food was excellent and we all agreed that we would fly China Eastern again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Robin Luk    (Canada)

Oct 30 2013. Flight MU756 from Kunming to Shanghai was delayed for about 2 hours. Passengers were informed the delay was to wait for a few late passengers. Consequently I missed the flight from Shanghai to Vancouver because of the delay. Whoever at China Eastern made the decision to wait for late passengers without considering the connecting flight passengers should be fired. At least four connecting flight passengers were affected and missed the flight to Vancouver.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  1 November 2013 by M Pineda    (USA)

Excellent value! I flew from Melbourne to Shanghai then later from Shanghai to San Francisco. I rode on a new A330 both ways, so the seats were still clean and cushy. Best inflight meals I've ever had. The vegetables still had life and color to them, unlike the sodden overcooked mess you find on United, Continental (pre-merger) and Delta. The service was professional though a little rough around the edges. A wide selection of movies in both English and Chinese kept me entertained the whole way. I played some of the educational games too. The crash course in Mandarin proved very useful while I was out and about in Shanghai. The music selection was lousy, but then most passengers bring their own music anyway.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2013 by Robert Sattahip    (Thailand)

Flew PVG-LAX, MU 586/583. This is my second experience on China Eastern and like the first, it was a good experience. Both flights were on time, the check in staff and flight attendants were polite and efficient and the airplane was clean. Both these flights were on A340-600 planes that CE has already scheduled for replacement, they were fairly old and did not have VOD but they were reasonably comfortable. The price I paid was incredibly low and was a real bargain. This is not a 5 star airline, but a whole lot better than any of the US carriers crossing the Pacific, and I recommend them.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Larry Dawes    (USA)

Check in for flight from JFK to Shanghai en route to Beijing was chaotic at best. Traveling with a group of 20 folks afforded us the benefit of special check in lane that began lining up hours before check-in processing started. Seat assignments were not made prior to check-in and members of our group traveling together were seated in the very last rows of the aircraft even though we were nearly first in line. Luggage was checked through to Beijing but mine did not arrive until the 2nd day after my arrival in China. Inflight, only one or two bottles of wine were aboard for the entire 200 plus passengers, very limited beer, none after the first round of drinks early in the flight and none available for purchase throughout the remainder of the flight. Connection to domestic flight in Shanghai boarded on time but remained at the gate for nearly one hour. Return flight from Shanghai to JFK ticketing and check-in was better organized, and flight was a repeat of prior flight. This is not the level of service I expected for transcontinental flights. Departure lounges not available at either JFK or in China.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by John McEachern    (Canada)

April 2013, my wife and I flew China Eastern from Phnom Penh-Shanghai-Los Angeles. All flights were on time, comfortable and very good service. Value for money was outstanding. It was amusing to experience the new and outstanding Shanghai airport, and compare it with the rundown, tacky LA airport. I can't imagine the surprise of first time Chinese traveller who visits the World's richest country and finds themselves scurrying about the run- down LA terminal. Note: transiting through Shanghai requires 1.5 to 3 hours time because there is no transit lounge. Instead, one must check in anew, and the airport is vast.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  11 October 2013 by H Morton    (USA)

Flew from Shanghai to Osaka on China Eastern on 10/9/13. It was OK at best. The check in was total chaos. The check in line was determined by where you were traveling. The line I entered had about 200 people, yet only 4 check-in desks working. Furthermore, people were constantly cutting the line with no retort from the agents. It made me realize just how efficient the US and European airlines have become with the check in process. The check in agent and the fight attendants were fine. However the gate agents said nothing as they took the boarding pass. The flight itself was OK. The seats were very tight in coach. The only bright spot was the breakfast served in coach was the equivalent of a First Class breakfast in the US. The flight was on time. This experience with China Eastern was mediocre at best.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 October 2013 by W Verheyen    (China)

Night flight from Cambodia (Phnom Penh) to Shanghai Pudong. In contradiction to our flight from Shanghai to Siem Reap (which was not so good but still more or less ok) there were no blankets, pillows, earphones or decent food. Aside from one nice lady (who really tried her best) the total crew were rude, uninterested and unprofessional. The food: some dry cookies of poor quality, a mini cold "rubber" hotdog. No taste at all. Drinks were not cooled. They served only half full cups of water/tea/fruit juice which made me conclude that they didn't have enough on board, so I chose a full can of warm beer. Then they show a movie but of course no earphones available. The chairs were uncomfortably closer than with our flight to Siem Reap (my knees blocking chair in front of me) and I'm only 1m 85.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  4 October 2013 by Bourne Denzil    (UK)

Flew MU524, (NRT-PVG), A330. Check-in was smooth and quick at NRT. Boarding was easy as the cabin was quite empty. IFE was good with a good selection of films etc for this short flight. The chair was comfortable and I tried it out in the reclined position too. The chair doesn't lie flat but enough for a comfortable sleep if needed. Food was of good quality and staff spoke English with good service skills. I would fly MU again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  4 October 2013 by J Knibbe    (South Korea)

Flew the domestic route Shanghai Hongqiao to Wuhan. The plane was delayed 2 hours without explanation. They gave out very sweet drinks in the departure lounge after about an hour. I think that there have been delays pretty much every time that I've ever used this airline. Quite an old plane but it seemed to be in good condition. It was only a 1 hour flight so only drinks were served; no food or entertainment but the staff were quite friendly.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2013 by Viona Ong    (Indonesia)

Sept 29, 2013. I booked a flight with this airline from Shenyang to Qingdao scheduled to fly at 6.25pm. Around 6pm they told us there was delay until further notice. We waited at the airport for 5 hours. People started complaining and then they said it was due to bad weather. Because of pressure from passengers, staff at Shenyang airport agreed to provide hotel accommodation for us upon arrival in Qingdao. After having a flight delayed for 5 hours and being promised accommodation, nobody picked us up at the airport. Will not take this airline again.