British Airways Passenger Reviews and British Airways Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read British Airways Passenger Reviews and British Airways customer trip Reports

British Airways Customer review :  28 May 2014 by S Arangelov    (Bulgaria)

Heathrow - Johannesburg, A380. My first flight on A380. After half an hour delay because of planes late arrival boarding started. First thing I noticed was how tiny the seats were. Second thing to notice is that the plane was not properly cleaned. There were grease stains and empty cans left behind. At this point I noticed some toilet paper between the panels above my head. When asked, the cabin crew explained this is how they fixed condensation problem from the air conditioning. Anyhow time for lift off. I turned on the inflight entertainment system to watch it from the camera at the tail of the plane. After looking for 5 minutes I couldn't find it anywhere. (Later I found out there is no such option on BA A380s). So no tail cam, fine let's listen to some music. Wrong, the headphones are not working. Cabin crew assures me they will "bring me some more". One hour later, suffice it to say cabin crew did not bring anything. I've managed to grab a pair of unused headphones from one empty seat just to find out they were not working either. Probably it was some problem with the jack in the seat, rendering the whole inflight entertainment system pointless. And if that was not enough it was time for dinner. By the time it was my turn, BA had run out of "chicken" so my dinner was asparagus with rice or something like that. You don't even have to look at it to understand why everyone else was choosing the "chicken". So no edible dinner and soundless entertainment system. Pretty much spent the rest of the journey counting the minutes until I could get off this plane. The worst part is I have a return trip with BA which I'll be looking to switch to another airline if possible.

British Airways Customer review :  27 May 2014 by H Stewart    (UK)

Heathrow - Johannesburg. Concorde lounge comfortable as always. A little underwhelmed at first by first class on the A380, not as spacious or appealing as I had expected. However it had all that I needed, including a very good screen for the IFE. Had the 5-course taster menu, but different wines than those which were suggested. Was very good indeed, did not have the dessert but the better half pronounced it outstanding. Unfortunately arrived at same time as several other long-haul flights so immigration was a pain, but not much BA can do about that.

British Airways Customer review :  27 May 2014 by D Chamberlain    (UK)

BA Heathrow to Madrid Club Euro. Disappointing service, perfunctory at best, with cabin crew spending much of the flight hiding behind their curtain. Full cabin but it has to be questioned why we continue to pay extra when the service is so disappointing. Flight itself was fine, cabin itself not as tatty as some BA short haul. Good experience at T5 lounge at Heathrow. The afternoon tea product continues to underwhelm and underfeed - they really should change this.

British Airways Customer review :  27 May 2014 by D Chamberlain    (UK)

Club Europe London Heathrow T3 to Lisbon. T3 lounge very good. Boarding fine and helpful but it is disappointing that this flight consistently requires a bus to link the terminal to the plane and that there is no specific service for Club Europe passengers. There is little point in fast tracking us at other stages of the journey to ignore us at this point. Good flight, excellent cabin crew - why can't BA have a consistency of cabin crew quality? Today's crew were excellent - attentive, engaged, appropriately friendly and amusing and consistent with their service throughput the flight. Food was fine, champagne improved from previous flights. Quality of cabin still modest - upgrade of the cabins really should be a priority, but I fear that BA's focus is on the long haul not those of us who travel within Europe. Efficient upon arriving at Lisbon.

British Airways Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Pranav Sharma    (India)

TXL-LHR-SFO. TXL-LHR on an A321, it was an uneventful flight, drinks were served. Transfer at Heathrow was uneventful but I think that BA should give their gate numbers beforehand. LHR-SFO on Boeing 747-400. IFE was a little old and the volume was very low. Movie selection was okay. Overall it was a pleasant journey.

British Airways Customer review :  25 May 2014 by J Griggs    (UK)

San Diego return business class (the seat was more comfortable than the first class one). As usual plane was fine, service was OK but not attentive (i.e just about OK). Food was terrible -I have flown BA in economy, business and first - and never had good or adequate quality food. If they upped their game on this they would be unbeatable. Entertainment pretty dire - at least first had a few good "box sets" of TV programmes. My wife was back in economy - her comment was that the world traveller plus seat gave her backache - the economy seat was better. Her food was inedible.

British Airways Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Charmayne Buckley    (Australia)

Flew British Airways from Sydney to Venice on 22nd April and return 20th May from Barcelona. From Sydney check in staff wonderful, courteous and helpful. Cabin crew just as wonderful as Check in Staff. Food out of Sydney awful. Return journey was from Barcelona. Again check in Staff were wonderful and helpful. Cabin crew just as wonderful and food was fine.

British Airways Customer review :  21 May 2014 by G Sims    (UK)

Recently returned from Mauritius to Gatwick in Club World and have to say that the service was woefully lacking. Left on time. The cabin crew were obviously tired and the welcome glass of Champagne was served without smiles or a welcome. Throughout the whole flight the crew did the absolute minimum and there was very little interaction with the passengers. Breakfast was disgusting and served soon after take-off. A little round casserole dish of British Breakfast ingredients all piled together and searingly hot and overcooked and tasteless. Awful, insipid coffee. After that some of the crew disappeared for a sleep and we were left to ourselves. Nobody asked if we wanted anything, nobody chatted, I rang for a drink and nobody came. The galley 'kitchen/snack bar' was almost bare and had two manky, stale smoked-salmon sandwiches and a few bottles of water. On asking for a glass (there were none) for wine I was told to sit down and one would be brought as indeed it was ten minutes later with no smiles or nibbles. Throughout the flight I felt guilty asking for a G&T or wine because of the negative attitude of certain cabin crew. Lunch was just about OK and very good wine. After that for the next five hours nothing was served to refresh us before landing - no tea, no cakes, no nothing. The seating configuration was 2-4-2 (Boeing 777) and packed in like sardines - claustrophobic for some. To access the aisle from the window you have to climb over the legs of the person behind and the food is served across the lap of the aisle seat over the partition. We were a couple but if you are travelling alone it could make for some very strange eye-to-eye contact with a stranger. The IFE was dated and a very limited choice with poor quality fuzzy screens. The whole package was so minimal, soulless and lacking. Not once were you made to feel special or 'pampered' in any way. If there is an alternative in future to BA, I'll take it and compared with some Middle-East airlines the Club World product is embarrassingly mediocre. BA needs to refresh, review and up-date quickly. Sorry BA - you've lost me for the foreseeable future!

British Airways Customer review :  21 May 2014 by S Munro    (UK)

London to Barbados and back. After reading some bad reviews, we were delighted with the service and food and both ways we had a great crew. Shame the films were not on demand on the return trip.

British Airways Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Michael Davies    (UK)

London Heathrow to Madrid on a Boeing 767-300. The outward flight was on a plane configured for Worldwide operation. i.e. with Club World, World Traveller Plus and World Traveller classes. It was one of the newly refurbished ones. The economy cabin at 2-3-2 and leg room was excellent - I am 6 foot tall. Snack of a very nice chicken sandwich, complimentary alcoholic drinks, with a second run. Staff very efficient and friendly. We are Silver members of the Exec Club and the Cabin Service Director welcomed us by name. On time departure and slightly early arrival. The return flight was on a standard European configured aircraft, but space was as good as the outward journey. On time departure and arrived into Heathrow 20 minutes early. Overall a great trip.

British Airways Customer review :  20 May 2014 by Connie Green    (UK)

Recently for our honeymoon, we took advantage of a BA promo to fly in to Singapore and then to Hong Kong via Cathay Pacific and back to UK. Our flight out to Singapore was easy and relaxed because I think it was not a busy flight. We did ask to have a wedding photo canvas to be checked in to save us the hassle of lugging it around but was flatly refused. The canvas was less than 1kg, properly packed for delivery but just slightly awkward to be carried around. We understand BA has a one bag check in policy and no flexibility but we were not too bothered anyway although a little kind gesture would have been appreciated. Our flight on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong was great! We were allowed to check in 3 pieces of luggage between 2 of us that weighed less than 40kg, food was fantastic and the service was immaculate. On our way back to London we were excited as we knew we were flying the A380. SQ and Emirates have A380 we have flown. This turned out to be a mistake from the start. When we were checking in, we were not allowed to check in extra hand luggage despite the combined weight of less than 40kg for all 3 items. When we got on the plane, we were shocked to see how tiny the seats on the BA A380 were in comparison to SQ or even Emirates. Next we struggled to find an overhead cabin compartment for our hand luggage. The staff, instead of helping us find a space for the bag, stood on her spot pointing at cabins that looked empty but were 10 over rows away from our seats. The ultimate bad experience came when breakfast was served. By the time the trolley came to us, there were no more options for our breakfast and the food was just plonked on our trays. No apologies, no explanations as to what was under the foil, no smiles! I was quite upset by now as I had to ask the stewardess what was being served. I have never felt more humiliated. With BA, it was just silence. Miserable, unhappy, lifeless crews at work who can't seem to care less with their customers. No smiles, no interactions, no explanations, no communication. Needless to say, the highly unpopular dim sum with noodles for breakfast was left untouched! Our overall flying experience with BA has been anything but pleasant, friendly, generous, comfortable with delicious meals. It had just served as a reminder why I have not chosen BA the last 10 years and perhaps the next 10 to come.

British Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by R Richards    (UK)

LGW-Antigua on 29 April and Antigua-LGW on 13 May, Boeing 777. It started off badly when I went to pay the final payment on line on evening of 16 February. The system rejected both my credit and debit cards. On checking the state of my account with BA online, I found that the final payment had been credited to my account and I now owed the initial deposit. I sent an email to get it sorted only to receive a reply that it could only be sorted out by a telephone call. First call was useless with a person who had poor grasp of English. Another call to a premium number required a 20 minute wait to get someone to sort out the problem having been passed round twice. I was told it had been sorted out and received E ticket email with my state of account showing I owed nothing. Two weeks later I received another E ticket, the only difference now was that it showed the last four digits of my credit card. Next credit card statement did not show money taken out. Not unusual for some companies but made me nervous that all was not well. Two weeks before flight I got a phone call from BA stating that there had been a computer glitch and could they have my credit card details. I then received an email apology and confirmation all had been paid. About 22 hours before flight I went online to check in and changed my seats and entered passport details etc and printed boarding pass. Arrived at LGW to just print baggage labels and drop off baggage. Met by man at terminal who tore up my boarding pass and printed off a new one saying ‘bring back the old system. We then had to queue to drop off baggage. Other than choosing seat it was a complete waste of time to check in online. Flight left and arrived on time. However the inflight main meal was the worst I have ever experienced on an aircraft. There was no choice and the red wine was undrinkable. The inflight food on my first flight, a forces trooping flight to Singapore in 1962, was better. On return flight you could only check in online and alter seat position. Check in at Antigua was one of the quickest check ins I have ever done. Left Antigua on time and arrived LGW on time. Food was worse than going out. No choice. Starter was small chopped up lettuce leaf with small tomato wedge with a rotten end to it. Main was very dry pasta with a tomato sauce on it. White wine was just about drinkable. Coffee served as we started main course. Asked if we could have it later and told no as turbulence was expected. No turbulence but cabin crew quick to clear up and disappear for a bit of shut eye leaving minimum staff on duty. At least with Ryanair you know what you get for your money.

British Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by D Ellis    (UK)

LHR-JTR-LHR. A tale of opposites for BA's new route to Santorini. Outward, it couldn't have been better, with excellent FAs, decent food and arrival that was ahead of schedule. The return started off poorly with substandard facilities at Santorini airport, including no online check-in, no business class lounge and no priority boarding. An air traffic controller issue kept the plane grounded for 30 minutes. On board, they'd forgotten the menus for the dinner service and the starter and cheese course had been left behind. The Club Europe toilet then ran out of water. So, overall, okay, but the return was disappointing.

British Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by L Lampard    (UK)

Gatwick-Venice return. Two contrasting experiences. Trip out pretty good, A320 so much better than the old 737's used at Gatwick. Staff friendly, and a good snack and beverage included. Good updates from cabin, and we left and arrived on time. Trip back felt like it had been crewed by brand new staff in the cabin. Food handed out 20 mins after take-off, but drinks took another 30 mins to be offered around cabin. Half the cabin crew seemed too pre-occupied with passengers not sitting in correct seat, even though flight not full. Think a smile and re-assurance to move back after take-off would have sorted the issue, however one female crew member in particular had forgotten to bring her 'happy face' to work that day! Flight OK, but not up to standard you expect. I fly BA quite regularly and choose over EasyJet as fares and flight times often similar, but service superior. I hope the Gatwick service levels can reflect the BA brand, otherwise they have an aggressive competitor in EJ at this airport.

British Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by Gerard Ward    (UK)

1st Class LHR-PHX. Totally seamless flight. Great driver collection through concierge service (granted it was extra). Concorde room was lovely, great staff and nice breakfast. First class service onboard, staff were very good. Producing a very nice custom meal for my wife.

British Airways Customer review :  19 May 2014 by C Tyler    (UK)

When we booked our holiday to Barbados, I was really pleased to see we were flying with British Airways, as they have a good reputation. Sadly our experiences put a lie to this. As part of the service they offer, BA allow you to either pay an expensive premium to choose your seats in advance, or you can log onto their website for free 24 hours in advance. I tried to do this several times without success and finally rang the helpline number suggested. After a 14 minute call at premium rate, the call operator (whose grasp of English wasn't great) was unable to advise about the problem, nor manually book our seats and could offer nothing more constructive than “keep trying”. I rang the complaints line (still premium rate), and other than a better grasp of English, was still unable to assist in any way. Both operators assured me that they would sort it all at the Airport. So, in view of this, we arranged to arrive at the airport early. We entered our details online to find that even though there were only 2 of us, we weren't sat together, or even on the same row. By now my wife – who is a nervous flyer – was in tears! We then sought assistance, and had to queue, but eventually we're allocated 2 seats together. As they were free, I don't know why these weren't given originally – however given our further experiences – maybe they don't like using them? I have flown long haul before, and found that you always get a more generous allocation of space, particularly shoulder and legroom. Sadly British Airways don't appear to follow this doctrine. The legroom was adequate, however as soon as the woman in front reclined her seat, I had about 4 inches between the front of my nose and the back of her seat. As my TV screen is in the back of this seat, it made trying to watch the screen extremely difficult. I managed to watch 1 film, however this brought on a headache, so I was forced to stop. I would love to see what regulations BA have to follow regarding VDU viewing, however in a work environment, this would be banned without question. The final disappointment came when the food was distributed. I had the Thai Chicken which was over-cooked so that the rice was cremated to the top and bottom of the container whilst my wife had the cottage pie which tasted of plastic. She didn't eat hers. I ate mine but had a stomach upset for the following 48 hours. All in all this was an experience I do not want to repeat and I shall certainly not fly British Airways by choice in the future! We didn't have these problems with Sri Lanka Airlines.

British Airways Customer review :  18 May 2014 by Steve Adolfo    (UK)

Travelling as a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 young children) from London to Boston, I hoped there wouldn't be a problem sitting together in the 4 middle seats. I had not paid to reserve my seat as I had never had to pay extra before while flying with Emirates, Singapore or Cathay Pacific. The seats allocated at check in were 3 on the left (A/B/C). My wife sat with the kids while I had to sit in the row behind. The seats could not be changed at check in or on the plane. It seemed ridiculous that we were not allocated the logical place for a family of 4 in the middle of the plane even though my flight had been booked 5 months in advance. I warned the stewardess that the situation would be difficult for my family, for the staff and the passengers around as this proved when my 3 year old cried as he wanted to sit next to me. I had to swap seats with my wife a couple of times during the flight, it was a stressful flight. On the return flight, I reluctantly paid extra (£23 x 4) to make sure we got the 4 middle seats. The journey was less stressful but my wife had her own issues as she couldn't recline as the passenger behind was too tall and refused to move his legs, (he should have paid and extra £23 and reserved a seat with more leg room). My wife complained to the steward, as the passenger refused to let my wife recline, he was made to move to a different seat. In conclusion, I found staff were generally friendly but didn't exert themselves on service, the food was okay but the entertainment system was dated, it didn't have any games, and the screen kept freezing. It seems the flight services to USA are not up to the same standard as flying to the Middle East or the Far East as British Airways had failed in comparison at all levels when compared with the other airlines mentioned earlier - my last experience to the USA was with American Airlines, and that was worse than BA. The main disappointing issue with BA is definitely having to pay extra for choosing your seat. If you are travelling with a family of 4 and you want to guarantee you sit together, you have to pay an extra £200 on top of the original cost of the return ticket, this felt more like the additional charges of Ryanair!

British Airways Customer review :  16 May 2014 by David Worcester    (UK)

LCY-SNN-JFK-LCY BA001 and 004. Quick check in and fast track security although I had to show my boarding pass to get expedited. Gate 24 lounge with a view of our aircraft and a glass of champagne. Quick boarding, nice welcome by a familiar face. Cabin has stood up well and is as fresh as it was on introduction. Starter choice to Shannon now replaced by a selection of canapes served on a plate. USA immigration straight forward and soon back on the aircraft, but the airport is soulless. Once in the air, salad, drinks and a choice of mains. I had the curry which was excellent, followed by chocolate fondant smothered in chocloate sauce - bliss. Later, on the Friday 001 flight which departs at 1245 as opposed to 0945, they serve supper rather than afternoon tea. This was a plate of cold cuts and samosas.Tasty.Quick disembarkation, lovely crew. Return on 004 Sunday evening, supper in the busy Galleries dining room. then quick boarding on this full 31/32 flight. Supper served to those who wanted it, and then a full hot English breakfast option or a bag to go. Bussed to the arrivals hall and immigration and then home in 15 minutes. Excellent crew and flight.

British Airways Customer review :  16 May 2014 by D Leston    (UK)

MIA-LHR in World Traveller on a 747-400. After having flown 3 consecutive legs on AA (and having been pleasantly surprised), I wasn't sure how an old BA 747 would measure up, but aircraft was spotless and in full working order. Crew were friendly and helpful. The food was pretty good and the IFE far better than AA.

British Airways Customer review :  16 May 2014 by R Vincent    (UK)

Flew to Vegas on 8th May and dismayed at the standard. Filthy seat back in front of me, dismissed with a shrug by a steward. Only choice of meal was a lemon pasta, although some food wrapped up in foil was brought with 3 chicken meals to share between 6 of us. Sandwiches, crisps and nuts etc were refused when requested as an alternative; we were told by the stewardess not to sit in the area we did (around row 31) as it normally happened. The worst part though was aloof staff, who actually come over as rude.

British Airways Customer review :  14 May 2014 by Marlene Miller    (USA)

On a recent vacation from Sacramento to Paris, some friends and I had a terrible experience with another airline and had some trepidation about our return flight from Paris to Sacramento. We did, however choose British Airways for the return flight and none of us had flown with them before. I am happy to report that the experience was totally different. Our flight was delayed by an hour which did effect our layover and did rush us to our next flight but we had a cushion of 2 hours layover so we were ok. On the flight the seats were more comfortable, more leg room, less noisy, better entertainment due to screens on seats in front of you and the access to the bathroom was much easier to navigate. We also had seats relatively together which the other airline refused to offer us even though we had made the reservation months in advance. Their screen was so far ahead I couldn't see it and it offered only one choice. The staff was very kind to hydrate us frequently and gave us plenty to eat and it was all very palatable. I will definitely recommend British Airways for International flights to my friends.

British Airways Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Kathleen Osborne    (UK)

I should be in a nice hotel in Romania, instead 9 hours after I arrived in Heathrow courtesy of British Airways I am still in Heathrow heading back to Glasgow! The 7am flight went well 10/10 for getting me from Glasgow to London. The connecting flight to Bucharest was delayed by more than an hour which meant I wouldn't get my connecting flight to Timisoara. I duly went to customer services (waited 50 mins) who offered to get me to Timisoara tomorrow about 3pm as the last flight on 9/5/14 was fully booked. They offered to put me up in a hotel in Bucharest but were not able to book one. Having waited 50 mins at a BA desk where apparently there was nothing they could do to check availability of a hotel in Bucharest I was not filled with confidence. Since I was going out for only 48 hours and would miss a large part of my meeting I decided to go back to Glasgow. I was booked on the 15.50 to Glasgow and given a slip of paper with all the details and told to go to the gate when it was called as they would know all about the booking as it was on the computer. Told my boarding pass was sorted. They hadn't sorted it and I got a lecture about what I needed to do in future. There was no way I was getting on the flight, told that I should be grateful as they were doing me a favour putting me on the 6.50pm flight. Told to go back to the service desk and wait in the queue again!

British Airways Customer review :  13 May 2014 by S Symon    (France)

BWI-LHR-ORY on a Boeing 767-300 in Y+ and an Airbus A320 in Y. Luckily this was a refurbished 767-300, so the aircraft interior looked new. The seats were quite wide and there was plenty of legroom which I need as I am tall. We were offered a choice between water or orange juice as a pre-departure beverage and wine was served in proper glassware. The meal was a slightly more upmarket version of the World Traveler dinner so I was a bit disappointed with that (I was hoping to get more food). Although the IFE is rather dated in comparison to the entertainment on BA's newer planes, the audio quality was much better on this particular aircraft. Cabin crew were professional and polite and, most importantly, I was able to get about 3-4 hours of sleep! Connection in Heathrow was a bit of a nightmare since security seems to be constantly saturated and we had to be bussed from the 767. Flight to Orly was full and I can't comment on it much since I slept.

British Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by S Castleman    (UK)

LGW-MRU-LGW in business. Outbound flight good with attentive staff, return flight staff couldn't seem to care less had to ask for everything even water and coffee after lunch. Not what you expect in Club World from a 4 star carrier.

British Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by L Matt    (UK)

LHR-FRA-LCY, May 2014. LHR-FRA on a 767, row 18. Checked-in via the mobile app, no bags to drop as a day trip. BA Galleries South for a quick spot of breakfast. Boarding started 20 minutes before departure. Not a full flight. Left slightly late due to cargo being loaded but arrived on time. Standard seating and food for BA short haul European flight. Return FRA-LCY on a E70, Row 15. Use of the JAL lounge at FRA opposite the gate area. Bus to the aircraft and an on-time departure. Full flight and not much room up above for carry on items on this aircraft on a full flight. Legroom quite tight in row 15. Again, standard food and drink for a BA short haul service.

British Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Colin Pay    (UK)

LCY-GLA on EMB190. Full aircraft, service very good, beer and a snack. Flight on time.

British Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Jeff Suykerbuyk    (Belgium)

08/5/2014, JFK-LHR-BRU. After the perfect outbound flight, we thought that the inbound flight could not be the same. The lounge is JFK was very crowded and not really relaxed. Boarding was again relaxed with a perfect crew on the Upper deck, friendly and relaxed. Slept nearly the all flight in perfect conditions. The flight LHR-BRU was delayed with more than 40 minutes but the captain excused humbly for the delay and gave us plenty of information. business cabin was full but the service on this short flight was more than excellent.

British Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Andrew Allen    (UK)

Belfast-Heathrow-Frankfurt return. Very impressed with the service and crew especially on the Frankfurt-Heathrow sections as the Belfast ones are only domestic but still excellent. I was impressed with the food which was a hot chicken dinner going out and afternoon tea on the return leg. The crew were really exceptional and make this airline as the seat pitch in Club Europe is poor. Their Galleries lounge in T5 is just OK being a bit of a cattle market compared to the Sukara longge in Frankfurt which was superb.

British Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Worcester David    (UK)

LHR-MAD-LHR Club Europe. Galleries South lounge was heaving and the sandwiches and cakes were basic. Quick boarding and a brilliant crew who delivered excellent service. Afternoon tea of 3 finger sandwiches, choice of warm scones, clotted cream and jam and a packaged Do and Co cake, all very nice. Champagne and other drinks freely available and crew were good at spotting an empty glass. Well done. Return, navigating Barajas is not easy and the T4S Iberia lounge was crowded and difficult to find a seat. 767 aircraft now fitted with bigger screens. Service was lunch pasta and chicken or prawn Caesar salad and a creamy dessert. Both enjoyable. Service was even better than on outbound the CSD was personable and very interactive with all pax, as were all the crew. She took time out to explain and show the meal options and chat with the pax. A fine example of BA at its best.

© 1999-2014  Skytrax. All rights reserved.