PAGE loading ... please wait!

Air Botswana Passenger Reviews and Air Botswana Customer Trip Reports

Air Botswana Customer review :  29 September 2014 by T Conti    (South Africa)

CPT-GBE, GBE-JNB. First flight a clean Bae146 in very good condition, half empty with loads of leg room. Food excellent for an airline and service find. Second flight on an equally clean ATR72 with equally good snacks. All flights on time. Much prefer them to SAX or Airlink!

Air Botswana Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Jennifer Fuller    (USA)

I will never fly Air Botswana again. Warning to anyone who is considering flying with them: if you expect even mediocre customer service, do yourself a favor and stay away. We were supposed to fly from Maun with Air Botswana to land in Johannesburg, landing at 4 pm with a full four hours to spare before our long haul flight back to the US via Delta. When we arrived at the Maun airport, chaos had ensued. What appeared to be a huge tour group had the spotlight and despite reaching the front of the line to check in, we were completely ignored as the attendants told us they needed to tend to others first. Service was exorbitantly slow as there were only 2 attendants who were hand writing boarding passes. After an hour of waiting we were told the flight was oversold and we would not be getting on. We’re convinced that although we had booked our flights 6 months earlier, we were bumped, along with about 20 others, from the flight in favor of the tour group. You can imagine the hysteria as the majority of the 20 had connecting flights in Johannesburg. The attendants assured us that we would get on another plane that was routed to Cape Town, but would first stop in Johannesburg to drop us off by 6 pm. We found this odd, but at that point had no other choice. It was only after we boarded the plane that we discovered we were instead going to Gaborone, and from there, another plane would take us to Johannesburg immediately. When we reached Gaborone, the Air Botswana rep was extremely confused why we had arrived, and told us we had been lied to, and would have to wait another 1.5 hours to take off. Not surprisingly, the flight was further delayed, so we finally arrived in Jo'burg at 8.30, minutes after our second leg to Atlanta took off. We were extremely upset but told we’d be waitlisted for the next Delta flight out - which unfortunately was not for a full 24 hours. The real kicker? We were told you owe us $650 USD. Still can’t quite comprehend how they had the gall to say this to our faces, but at this point, nothing surprised us. No reps from either Air Botswana or Delta were available to give us a definitive answer on whether we’d be guaranteed to be on the flight, so off we went to a local hotel in hopes of returning the next day to get everything straightened out. The people who work for this airline not only have the poorest customer service skills I have ever witnessed. When we arrived on day 2 to try to check in to Delta, we were told we only had a 50/50 shot of getting on the plane. There is one flight per day and subsequent flights were all booked solid. We were beginning to think this nightmare might continue on for days and days. Surely there had to be a carrier going to any city in the US that could accommodate us. There was. Two in fact. However, Air Botswana would need to book it for us – and they flat out refused. We were only able to get on the Delta flight thanks to their management; the Air Botswana rep was never to be heard from again. I could not be more appalled at the way Air Botswana operates.

Air Botswana Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Lucia Okumura    (Australia)

Fantastic Service. Booked from Australia for Jo'burg to Maun flight. Kept great communications for any changes, and even transferred me on a SA flight no extra charge for my Kasane-Jo'burg leg when I explained about connection time with my Qantas flight due to schedule changes without having to be asked and emailed me back a new booking. Great service, nice snack on a short leg, clean modern plane, on time, friendly ground staff. I hear things might have been different a few years back but certainly my experience was very good and would fly with them again.

Air Botswana Customer review :  25 September 2013 by P Drysdale    (Botswana)

Francistown - Johannesburg, 16 September. Good short flight efficiently run with good crew. On time and no problems.

Air Botswana Customer review :  2 September 2013 by J Kemp    (France)

In August, Johannesburg to Maun and Kisane to Johannesburg. Both flights were spot on time. Service on board was fine, with drinks and light snacks served for the roughly 2 hour flight in each direction. Aircraft's were in good shape and the seats comfortable for this type of trip. Check-in in Jo'burg was easy and very quick. Check- in in Kisane was a breeze as the airport is tiny. All in a good experience and a great way to enhance your Botswana experience.

Air Botswana customer review :  8 January 2013 by B Janis (France)

Like Eric said I don't understand the bad reviews. I have flown the Maun-JNB flight many times and everything has been great. Never had any delays. The last comments are from 2011 and 2010 and now I think they have a brand new fleet. My flight was nice - not the best aircraft.

Air Botswana customer review :  14 May 2012 by Eric Livingston (UK)

We flew Maun-Johannesburg. Despite the reviews here, I was pleasantly surprised. The plane looked new and the leather seats were comfortable. The 2 cabin crew were ok. The plane left on time and landed on time 2 hrs later.

Air Botswana customer review :  24 June 2011 by Anthony Tiagonce (USA)

Maun-Johannesburg. Short 90 min flight on what appeared to be newer BAE 146. Interior had nice leather seats and the legroom seemed quite good for economy. The flight attendants seemed indifferent (almost as they were being bothered) as they just plodded through the flight. The only problem with the flight was the hot cabin. I had to ask the flight attendant twice before the temperature was lowered to less than an inferno. Apparently, on the BAE 146, the cockpit controls the cabin temperature - not the cabin crew.

Air Botswana customer review :  13 December 2010 by Justin Bell (Spain)

Air Botswana to and from Johannesburg and Maun. The staff were friendly and outward journey JNB-Main was fine. The return journey was chaos! To start with the check-in at Maun airport was chaotic. The lounge was completely full of passengers trying to check in. Air Botswana had chartered another aircraft, and upon boarding, some passengers had no seats, so they were told that they would have to catch the next flight. Once aboard they told us that the aircraft couldn't take our bags, and that they would be in JNB on the next flight (apparently 2 hours later). I was connecting with a flight to Europe, and if I had known that earlier, I could have labelled my bag accordingly, and I might have tried to check my bag through the whole way. I felt sorry for the staff as they were polite and tried hard to appease the passengers. They couldn't take the bags for safety reasons, which is fair enough. The problem was that they knew this before we boarded the aircraft and chose to tell us once we were aboard. We flew via Gabarone to refuel. Then in Johannesburg a representative met us at the luggage carousel and told us that our bags would arrive tomorrow! At least he was there when our flight arrived and not when the supposed next flight was meant to arrive 2 hours later. However that was a bit of a shock for some of the passengers, as Air Botswana must have known this in Maun. He took down all our details and where we wanted our bags sent if we weren't staying in Johannesburg. I honestly didn't expect to see my bag again. Three days later at home in Spain an Air Botswana rep phones me and asks me which airport in Spain I want my bag sent to! Zaragoza is 1.5 hours drive away, and the nearest airport. My bag arrived there 2 days later. If any other airline flew between Main and Johannesburg I would try them. I think Air Botswana needs some competition!

Air Botswana customer review :  21 November 2010 by D Miles (South Africa)

Maun to Jo'burg. Got on plane and when arrived in Jo'burg our luggage did not. No ones did. Found out afterwards that if it is hotter than 40C they will not take luggage if plane is full. Wish someone would have informed us. We didn't get our luggage back until Zanzibar 2 days later and many frustrating moments in between. Tired plane needs an overhaul or the insides redone. They had a quick stop (which was not on the itinerary or the ticket) in Gabone. It was to turn staff over or something but couldn't get off plane and the 10 minutes turned into 40 without AC, doors opened and +40C.

Air Botswana customer review :  25 June 2009 by Mahul Shah (Kenya)

JNB-MUB return. Tried to check in early in JNB and was told to come back later as the BP staff had not started working in the luggage area and the check in staff member thought our bags might get pilfered (liked his honesty). The flights both ways use the new ATR 2-2 seating which was comfortable and adequate. To MUB there was a sandwich service with drinks, followed by a 2nd drinks service. From MUB there was just nuts with a drink service. On arrival we were told to sit till we were instructed to stand, and they were very strict even after the door had been opened.

AIR BOTSWANA review : 7 May 2009 by Wayne Anstey

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

JNB-GBE-JNB. Pleasantly surprised with the flights on ATR's considering we were in the middle of RTW FC Oneworld - unfair comparison. Cabin crew were OK certainly as good as I would expect. The aircraft must have had new paint recently as they looked quite good in and out. Didn't expect to be flying them no spare pages in passport so SA wouldn't allow me in country.

AIR BOTSWANA review : 1 March 2009 by S Lewitton

Customer Rating : 1/5

1 Star Rating

Maun to Johannesburg. What a terrible experience. The plane was in disarray & dirty. The cabin staff were dishevelled & not serious. I will never fly Air Botswana again!

AIR BOTSWANA review : 21 June 2008 : by Mahul Shah

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

Johannesburg - Maun Economy Clas BAe-146. On arrival at the airport, we engaged the services of a porter. We had 2 rucksacks, and 2 camera bags. I paid him around ZAR30 (USD4), and it was well worth it. As we had bought goods in Johannesburg, and wanted to claim back tax, I told the porter, and he zipped us off to a Customs Counter that had no queue (we passed others that had at least 7 people waiting in line). We cleared Customs in no time, check in was fast, immigration and security had short queues, and it took around 15 minutes to get the VAT refund processed. The aircraft was a BAe-146 - load was around 30%, so we had 3 seats to ourselves. We were served a drink and a very small sweet roll. Maun airport is a small building, with 1 immigration line, and a bench where your bags get delivered to. Customs a breeze.

Air Botswana - by O Dawson

27 July 2007  Customer Trip Rating : n/a

Gaborone to Kasane and back. I found the aircraft to be fine - nothing spectacular, but clean, tidy and in order. Younger cabin crew staff tended to be friendlier and more outgoing, whilst older employees seemed weary and even a little sullen. Inflight snack an odd cross between chicken sandwich and summer salad, with neither emerging as distinct in itself. My overall impression was of an airline that does a functional job pretty solidly - no delays for me - but could probably add a little more to its approach to customer care. There are plenty worse in Africa!

Air Botswana - by Jeff Williams

21 January 2007

Jo'burg-Maun-Jo'burg. Either we were lucky or Air Botswana are improving. BAe 146 in decent condition, flights left on time and the crew were pleasant. The inflight snack was curious but as all Brit passengers are increasingly used to nothing at all this just isn't a problem. Given the flight time and distance our fares were reasonable though not cheap. May the improvement on our (and others') previous bad experiences continue.

Air Botswana - by Sandi Johnson

21 June 2006

I travel Air Botswana frequently for trips around the country (as there is no other carrier) and what I cannot understand is the extremly high cost for tickets. I understand they have a monopoly but $500 for a 2 hour flight is absurd! When they do have 'specials' you can call the day they are announced only to find out those cheap seats have already been filled. And their prices compared to SA for flights to Joburg are also incredibly high ($400 for a 1 hour flight). So high that we never fly to Joburg but opt to drive for 4 hours and spend a night in a hotel, which works out to a big cost savings, although not a time saver. The staff are adequate (although customer service in all of Botswana is poor, so it is adequate compared to that baseline) , but not the food. And the flights are frequently late, especially leaving from Joburg to Gabs.

Air Botswana - by Ray Hughes

18 April 2006

I have just returned from Botswana - my 6th visit to this lovely friendly country- and must strongly disagree with the comments regarding the quality of the cabin crew . I have always found them to be models of friendly, efficient and helpful service. They seem to epitomise the character of the people I have met in Botswana- a ready smile and a genuine concern to help if they can. Air Botswana has an important role in representing this rapidly developing country- yes they must update their aircraft but they have a priceless asset - their staff. Take note Air France & Emirates with your indifferent customer relations.

Air Botswana - by Richard Woodward

24 September 2005

5 months month later and there is no improvement. I have reluctantly had to use Air Botswana 3 times in the last 3 weeks and will do my best to avoid in the future. The aircraft are in desperate need of a refurbishment and the cabin crew, I think the same. I have never experienced such a rude cabin crew anywhere else (and I have their names noted - BP203 13/9/05). The debacle of carrying pieces of hand luggage, onto an ATR42, was handled in a dreadful manor. Why AB cannot follow SaExpress and use the Skycheck method is beyond belief. A crew members solution ? to shout at the passengers who had pieces of hand luggage that would not fit into the useless overhead bins; these were passengers who had been told to take the luggage onto the aircraft by the ground crew! The 'verbal' crew member in question then proceeded to tell me how bored she was after sitting herself down next to me during the flight ! Amazing stuff. (NB. There was one new crew member who was in training; she was pleasant and courteous; it's a shame this trend will not continue)

from Willie Mokgatlhe of Air Botswana Head Office

3 March 2005

Feedback from customers well received. At Air Botswana, safety is certainly priority number one. We are continuously improving. Air Botswana operates three 47-seat ATR42-500 advanced turbopropeller aircraft and a 75-seat British Aerospace 146-100 ‘whisperjet’. Soon a second BAe146 will come into service, to consolidate the airline’s direct jet services between Maun (Okavango Delta) and Cape Town and between Maun and Johannesburg. It will also provide extra capacity and flexibility for route network development. Soon too will start the refurbishment of the entire fleet, with all aircraft being thoroughly spruced up inside and out, including seats, carpeting and paintwork. It’s all part of the feel-good factor that is so important in air travel, and it is another reflection of Air Botswana’s close attention to service quality.

Air Botswana - by Richard Woodward

11 January 2005

Totally agree with Dave Clark; Air Botswana are a worry as the image they give off is not exactly comforting. I travel frequently between between Botswana and South Africa and my preferred carrier is always South African Express as their Dash-8's appear extremely well maintained, clean and a cabin crew who clearly have superior training; especially with respect to safety. The last time a used one of Air Bot's ATR's I noticed that the seat numbers had been 'stencilled' on by hand, not to mention the tatty seats and toilets. My favourite item however was the grubby/oily black finger marks left all over the engine cowls.

Air Botswana - by David Clark

6 January 2005

Air Botswana comments (May 04) still more or less the same (I travelled twice in Dec 04). However, the ATR 42's looked really beaten up, with lots of external paint missing, and internal bits missing or hanging loose. These are not old 'planes, so why the tatty appearance? They seem to fly well enough, but for how long, seeing the complete lack of TLC. Get to grips with it, Air Botswana, or customers will lose confidence. I think I am, after my recent trips.

Air Botswana - by Craig Thomas

18 May 2004

Gaborone to Johannesburg. Not too bad at all. The Pula lounge in Gaborone, although tiny, is quite a comfortable spot to relax in before the flight. The ATR42 operated on the route is definitely showing its age, and seats are fairly uncomfortable. Snack service consists of peanuts and biltong, whereas competitor SA Express provides a full sandwich service on board. Crew were friendly - downside being arrival in Johannesburg - for aircraft to overnight in Johannesburg, we were parked on a remote stand a good 10-15 minutes from the terminal building.