Air Berlin Passenger Reviews and Air Berlin Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Air Berlin Customer review :  3 December 2012 by K Alexander    (USA)

JFK-TXL-CPH and CPH-DUS-JFK. Inadequate legroom for a 5'9" tall person meant my knees touched the seat in front of me on the overnight to Berlin from JFK. On the way back from Dusseldorf, a 6'1" guy sitting next to me couldn't fit in his seat without sitting bowlegged and the elderly woman in front of him couldn't recline. Aside from the DUS-JFK meals, which included various unidentifiable items and cold chicken nuggets, other amenities were fine, but I will never fly them long haul again. On a positive note, domestic European transfers had more legroom than the transatlantic flights.

Air Berlin Customer review :  20 November 2012 by P Knap    (Germany)

TXL-JFK and JFK-DUS-TXL. All in all better experience than I thought. A330 long haul product quite good. Boarding very strict and by rows. Standard Y seats comfort is good and legroom is okay (if you are 5'10"). XL seats (exit row) on return trip very spacious for a little up-sell. Pleasant surprise: IFE - lots of choices and large screens for Y class. Amenity kit offered on overnight return flight. Food outbound was quite a good surprise as well. Return was so so but still portions are generous. Drinks runs are not so frequent but you can go to the galleys. Cabin attendants are a mixed box but in general friendly. Domestic product: 737-700 looked a bit tatty and old, quite cramped.

Air Berlin Customer review :  12 October 2012 by M Holder    (USA)

Flew from Los Angeles to Berlin and my only complaint is that the passenger behind me asked me not to put my seat back as she then would have no room. I obliged because the passenger in front of me also did not use his seat recline so that I could have a little room. Flight staff very hard working and I remarked to the purser that they did a very good job. The food was adequate, plane was clean and fairly new, and we arrived to our destination on time. I would fly Air Berlin again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  5 October 2012 by P Meyer    (Germany)

DUS-AUH. When we booked this flight on Opodo, it was listed as an Etihad flight. As we have flown Etihad a number of times and were always satisfied, we were looking forward to this experience. It wasn't until a later stage - after purchasing the flight - that this part of our trip (to Australia) was listed as "operated by Air Berlin". After having had a considerably bad experience with them on flight from DUS to MIA two years ago, we weren't too excited about this but wanted to give Air Berlin another try on a long haul flight. Sadly, things turned out to be even worse than expected: The plane was old, didn't have an entertainment system installed and the leg room would have been OK on a trip to PMI from Germany but not for a 6+ hour trip. Ridiculous! The flight attendants were rather bossy, the food awful and we were in doubt if the a/c was actually working. To us, the "climate" in the cabin is an integral part of the success of a flight. There was hardly any oxygen which makes every flight an unpleasant experience. Altogether, it was a very poor experience. This might have been state of the art back in the early nineties but we aren't talking about Ryanair here. Why has Etihad agreed to a codeshare with Air Berlin? It is just like booking a four star hotel but staying in a two star room.

Air Berlin Customer review :  5 October 2012 by Michal Glowacki    (Norway)

Abu Dhabi to Berlin on a A330. First time flying with Air Berlin and a disappointing experience. First problem was the lack of leg room. I'm 181cm and my knees were hitting the seat in the front, while when reclined I had trouble stretching out. The second negative was the in-flight service. I can't remember the last time I came across such a sour and unfriendly bunch. No smiles and total lack of effort and interest. Half the food I didn't even bother touching it was so unappealing. One positive was the IFE which was modern and had a fair amount of choice. Air Berlin might be fine for short-haul, but I will certainly not be flying long-haul with them again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  5 October 2012 by Colleen Csavas    (Switzerland)

The baggage drop off service on both Mon October 1st from Zurich (1 hr 10 mins) and the return flight on Thur October 4th at Berlin Tegel airport (1hr 25mins) is simply ridiculous. Why bother to check in on-line and then expect such a delay to drop off your bag. The staff counters were opened for 4 lines (incl business) at Zurich and 3 lines (incl business) at Tegel. I for one, will never bother with Air Berlin again as I simply do not have this time to waste on such a pathetic level of customer service.

Air Berlin Customer review :  3 October 2012 by Michael Pounds    (USA)

My wife and I flew (non-stop) San Francisco to Dusseldorf, AB7393 Sept 5, 2012. Everything from check-in to landing could not have been better! Everyone on the ground and in the air was friendly, all smiles, food and movies great, leg room was good. The trip back on Sep 19, AB7392 was the same. I have flown in to Dusseldorf 2 other time on other airlines, and Air Berlin will have my business from now on.

Air Berlin Customer review :  19 September 2012 by Frank Menagh    (USA)

Flew Las Vegas to Dusseldorf, and Dusseldorf to SFO. AirBerlin has chosen to cram as many seats as possible on the plane, an Airbus A330-200, reducing the seat pitch in economy to 30 inches. To do this, they removed all padding in the back of the seat, and space for legs. Nearly the least comfortable seats I have ever been in, and certainly the worst for an 11 hour flight. Lots of empty seats on the plane, an indication of how attractive the airline is. The flight out of Las Vegas was 2 hours late in leaving; there is no online check-in for Germany-USA flights, the counters do not open until 3 hours before the flight, so you drag luggage around until they do open. The cabin was cold, not merely cool. Otherwise, the food was tolerable, the drink cart did have free wine and Baileys, the new - not on all flights - On-Demand entertainment system with seat back screens did have an OK selection of movies, CDs, TV programs; and the staff was efficient and polite. If AirBerlin in the future will get me a direct flight over a painful series of connections, I would take them again - otherwise, there is another German airline.

Air Berlin Customer review :  18 September 2012 by Joerg Boese    (Germany)

Palma-Hamburg Economy. The plane was a A330 which was fully booked. The boarding process was disorganized (no zone calls, big queues) and as a result of the chaotic boarding we lost our departure slot and had to wait about 40 minutes for a new one. The inside of the plane was a little old, the seats were moderately comfy but quite narrow. Air Berlin offers hot meals for a surcharge. The crew did take orders but forgot all passengers in my section. Since they were also not reacting to call buttons I got my meal about two hours into the flight and it had to be removed quite soon since the flight is only about 2.5 hrs long. Arrival delay was 40 minutes. Baggage delivery in Hamburg took over one hour. When I booked the flight, Lufthansa was only about 30 Euros more expensive and I should have paid the difference.

Air Berlin Customer review :  17 September 2012 by L Eames    (Spain)

I have been impressed with this airline before but they have seriously let me down. I had a booking Alicante to Lisbon via Palma de Majorca, where I am picking up a cruise ship. I have just received an email from them alerting me to the fact that "due to urgent operational requirements a flight time change could not be avoided". Fortunately I looked closer and found that not only was there a time change, but they were now flying me to Faro, not Lisbon (no mention of this in the email). I then had to ring a premium number to query this. The person I spoke to did not seem to find it strange that people book a flight to Lisbon, because that is where they want to go and that Faro, some 300 miles away, is no substitute. I have a cruise booked and an overnight hotel booked, but now no flight. And to add insult to injury, before ending the call, I was asked if there was anything else she could help me with.

Air Berlin Customer review :  12 September 2012 by Benjamin Pittman    (New Zealand)

JFK-Berlin-Stockholm. The JFK-Berlin leg was in Business and the Berlin-Stockholm in Economy, with no other option. I found the initial flight to be very good, helped by a highly professional cabin crew, plenty of room and good facilities, even though the plane was older. The food and beverage were very good and generally, this rates as high up on my scale of satisfaction. The seats are to be upgraded soon but were not bad if not entirely flat in bed mode. Berlin's newish Tegel Airport was something of an experience. The flight parked on the tarmac and in pouring rain, once we were off the plane, a people mover took us to the terminal for immigration and customs. Thankfully, the process was fast and efficient although I had to race in order to ensure getting to the next gate for the flight to Stockholm. The next flight was, however, delayed without any explanation and ultimately proved to be less memorable. The plane was older and again, required a walk in rain to board. Berlin Tegel is therefore an airport to be avoided in future. To Stockholm, there was a limited service although staff had been trained well. I will watch and use them again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  11 September 2012 by M Penfold    (Canada)

FRA-TXL. Non-Stop on an Airbus 320-200. Check in line and security was fast and efficient. Gate was a short walking distance from security. After waiting at the gate for half an hour, we were let into departures lounge. The lounge provided complementary magazines to all passengers. Since I do not speak or read German, I was unable to read them. When boarding was finally announced, everyone rushed to get onto the plane. After our boarding pass was checked, we board a bus and were taken to the plane. Since the plane was about full, everyone had a lot of space. Staff were great and helpful. Most spoke German, English and a third language. Once in the air, flight attendants provided us with a complementary non-alcoholic drink and snack. Landing was great and we arrived early in Berlin. As we were getting off the aircraft, everyone was given a thank you chocolate. We again had to board a bus which was a short drive to the terminal. It did not take long for my bag to show up on the arrivals belt and for my vacation to begin. For the price I paid for the flight with taxes $108 CND/€87, they are a great deal. TXL is a dump so it will be nice when Brandenburg opens up.

Air Berlin Customer review :  29 August 2012 by Karim Lankarany    (Germany)

Berlin - Los Angeles. I loved the non-stop service and the nice flight attendants, but the food was sub-par, and the "new" business class seats, which will be replaced again in November to bring AB on the same level as Etihad, were not comfortable. The also "new" VOD with bigger screens did not work for me either. All in all, flying Air Berlin business class is still worse than Air New Zealand or Turkish Airlines Premium Economy, which is a shame for the rather high business class fare they charge!

Air Berlin Customer review :  29 August 2012 by Brian Weller    (USA)

JFK to Zurich with a stop in Germany. Flights both ways between JFK and Germany were on Airbus A330. Complimentary mints and newspapers offered during boarding. The seats were cloth and had adjustable head rests. Leg room felt above average for Economy. Each seat had a pillow, blanket, and small amenity kit. Personal seatback TV's were also available at each seat, and headphones were offered. TV's were touch screen and had a great selection. Flight Attendants offered a substantial food service, 2 meals with entree' and side offerings, and multiple beverage services. Flights between Germany and Switzerland were onboard Airbus A319 aircraft. These planes had leather Economy seats but without an adjustable headrest. No seatback TV, but there were TV screens hanging over the seats every few rows. A few music channels were also available with the volume controls in the armrest. They offered a light snack and beverage service on these flights. The only/main complaint I have is that on every flight, flight attendants were some of the rudest people I have seen!

Air Berlin Customer review :  8 August 2012 by P Brown    (USA)

Although it said online early am, the flight from Mannheim to Florence was going to be delayed three hours, on check in at airport the gate agent swore there was no issue and flight was on time. However, ten minutes before we were to board, they announced the three hour delay. After the three hours, flight was cancelled. They could tell us nothing and getting any info in English was difficult. All non German speaking travelers couldn't get rebooked until the next afternoon.

Air Berlin Customer review :  27 July 2012 by P Perrone    (USA)

JFK-TXL-BRI Check in at JFK was fast and easy, staff on board excellent. My seat was 14A which is in the first row. Found pillow and blanket on my seat but was told I had to stow it up top until after take off. Didn't think I would see them again but 15 min into the flight it was handed back to me without having to ask! Dinner and snacks were served with a smile. TXL to BRI was much of the same. Will absolutely fly again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  26 July 2012 by R Carr    (New Zealand)

We requested a ticket from Venice to Cologne/Bonn on May 21st and we were issued a flight AB8991 to Tegel Berlin with a 40 minutes stopover then flight AB6503 to Cologne/Bonn. Just as well we arrived at Venice airport early as four Air Berlin flights were leaving and only five counters were open. After 45 minutes they opened three more counters which meant we were checked in for our flight 1 hour 10 minutes after lining up. Given baggage receipts and boarding pass's to Cologne/Bonn. Flight was very good in all aspects other than we arrived Tegel at terminal C and were bussed to terminal C which was a delay. We then ran 800 meters to terminal A arriving at gate A6 at 16.45 hours. We were informed that our flight had left early, also told we were not on their computer and nor was our baggage on this flight so they were not expecting us. They could not explain why we had onward boarding pass's issued in Venice. We went to their ticket office in terminal A and had superb service to ensure we caught the next flight to Cologne/Bonn. On arrival in Cologne our bags awaited us at the lost luggage area as they had come through on flight AB6503. A pity as in the air it is a good airline but ground staff wise it is way behind.

Air Berlin Customer review :  25 July 2012 by M Phongphit    (Germany)

Ground service and check in process very friendly and no queue. Lounge share with British Airways in Berlin Tegel very quiet. Lots of drinks and snacks. No extra boarding queue for Biz but the boarding process was quick. Took off on time. Very satisfied with the service. Friendly and attentive. Food was delicious from the famous Sansibar Kitchen of Sylt. New Business Class seats. Lie angle seat. Not comfortable to sleep. Nice massage function for relax. IFE good with new high pix display. The film and music selective was big enough. Only 4 biz pax this flight. Touch down on time. Price was fair. Overall would choose AB biz again.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

| Home| Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |