Bahamasair Passenger Reviews and Bahamasair Customer Trip Reports

Add your Bahamasair Review

Bahamasair is not a Star Ranked airline

Customer Review scoring : Bahamasair
2.7 out of 10  2.7 out of 10

Bahamasair Customer review :  5 May 2013 by D Leak    (USA)

I had a 9:10 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale FL to Nassau Bahamas on May 1, 2013. The flight was 5 hours delayed without any explanation by the staff. In addition, the attitudes of the personnel was unbelievable, their apologies came only after it was mentioned that they did not apologize and when the flight finally was boarding, they attempted to scold and belittle the passengers. On the returning flight, the flight is still delayed. My flight was suppose to leave at 345 pm, it is now 930pm, I am still sitting in the airport with no idea when I will be leaving the Bahamas to get back to Florida. This is absolutely a night mare. Never again will I travel with Bahamas Air.

Bahamasair customer review :  8 February 2012 by M Menzies   (USA)

We had an excellent experience. The check-in was prompt and efficient in Fort Lauderdale and Freeport. The staff were professional and helpful. We felt the cost of the flights were high but they are usually cheaper than other airlines offering the same service.

Bahamasair customer review :  25 December 2011 by K Vail   (USA)

Scheduled to leave Orlando to Nassua at 12.30. The plane finally arrived and we took off 5 hours late. Wasted half a day of vacation time, they gave no explanation except there was only one plane being used and it was running behind. They gave us food vouchers but did not offer any compensation. This was my first and last experience with them.

Bahamasair customer review :  22 September 2011 by J Okogbaa   (USA)

My family and I were going from Nassau to Orlando, we arrived 4 hrs early, to the line out the door with people for the same flight as us. We stood in line for 4 hrs, when we got to the front it took them 30 mins to check two bags. Thankfully security and customs were a breeze. Arrived at the gate to find out our flight was delayed 3.5 hrs. We boarded the plane which was very dirty, as we were supposed to begin takeoff we had to stop and refuel the plane. Completely inefficient and I will not be travelling with them in the future.

Bahamasair customer review :  19 August 2011 by C Tsa-Konas   (USA)

FLL-NAS-FLL and I found no problem with them aside from their ageing fleet of B737-200's. The flight attendants were very nice. Return flight was bumpy, but decent.

Bahamasair customer review :  5 August 2011 by T Adkins   (USA)

We were picked up in Miami over 1.5 hrs late. On way home, we got to airport over 2 hrs ahead of time and waited for our flight. Flight listed as on time and they boarded us to leave on time but then had to sit in a very hot cabin for over 1hr because they were waiting for late comers to get through customs. This made us miss all our flights out of Miami and when I finally got to Dallas, missed any chance of getting home.

Bahamasair customer review :  30 July 2011 by K Guerra   (USA)

My husband and I purchased a one way ticket on BahamasAir as we were returning on a friend's private plane. We arrived at the airport 2 hours prior to departure time and waited 1 hour 15 minutes to check in. Before we were issued our boarding passes (as there is no online or curbside checkin), we were informed that we must purchase a return ticket in order to be allowed on board. Not having any choice, we purchased two refundable tickets at a cost of almost $600. We were informed that we can cancel the flight as soon as we land in the Bahamas and they would charge us a $15/ticket cancellation fee. Additionally, our flight was an hour late, with the board at the gate never indicating the time change. The crew on board gave us sporadic departure instructions - some after we were in the air (ie. turn off all electronic devices and my seat was broke! A couple of days into our vacation, I spent a significant amount of time trying to call both the local and toll free number for BahamasAir. I kept getting disconnected or a fast busy tone - for two days straight. We finally went to the concierge of our hotel and pleaded for his assistance. He encountered the same problem, but was finally able to reach the Customer Service Department. Once I got on the phone with the rep, she tried to connect with the Reservations department and she could not get through as well. After explaining our situation, they finally connected me with someone who was able to accept our cancellation (they did not even have a cancellation number to provide). Needless to say, we lost a good 1/2 day of precious vacation time, for which BahamasAir wants $30 in fees and 6-8 weeks to return our money. I read the complaints about BahamasAir before I booked. Since the main complaint was flights departing late, but I figured a small delay would be no big deal since we weren't on a time schedule. I also like to give small businesses a chance when possible. We never imagined that this complaint would be nothing compared to everything else we experienced. On a positive note, we all got to the Bahamas safely and they gave us a mint on our way out of the plane. I chalked this experience up to "lesson learned" - I just wanted to send out a warning to all of you out there considering this airline.

Bahamasair customer review :  16 March 2011 by V Tomlinson   (USA)

Ft. Lauderdale to Nassau. Getting the ticket, and checking the bag was a breeze, the fun began while waiting for the flight, I was chatting and wasn't paying attention to the time, however, others were. No one bothered to tell us the flight was delayed, although on the screen checking in it advised it was going to be on time. We took off an hour late. Also on our return trip we were an hour late. Never again.

Bahamasair customer review :  14 March 2011 by Donna Bernstein   (USA)

I have never had a worse experience, DCA to NAS. I purchased tickets through BA for a codeshare with USAir. Upon check in, we were told that BA never transfered the ticket numbers to them and therefore they had no record of our reservations. There were 30 other travelers at the gate with BA tickets on this codeshare and all were told they had no reservations. We tried to call BA to rectify the situation, only to have them cut us off 10 times. We never reached our destination, we lost the money paid to our vacation rental and have yet to be refunded our airfare. No one in customer service cared one iota. Instead they blamed USair for the problem.

Bahamasair customer review :  24 February 2011 by Niko Räikkä   (Finland)

Miami-Nassau-Havana. Check in at Miami couldn't understand our tickets, although I printed tickets that Bahamasair send to me. At the check-in in Miami they told us that we need to get off the plane before the connection flight and do the check-in again. When the plane took off we asked it from the crew and they said we couldn't do it again and we needed stay on the plane. When we arrived to Havana there was nice surprise for me. They had left my baggage to Miami! I wasn't the only unfortunate one, they had left 18 baggage to Miami. I had to wait 4 days for my baggage and the airline didn't even send the baggage to me when it arrived to Havana. I had to pay taxi and go get it by myself from the airline. If you seek some email addresses from their website you see that there is none of them. They have just phone numbers so you have to call to them if you have any questions concerning your bookings or flights.

Bahamasair customer review : 25 July 2010 by Lars Johansson

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

Miami-Nassau. In principle, everything worked out fine. B737's are very old, check in took enormously long time. Very strict on weight and size of carry-on baggage. Onboard the staff gave the clear message that they would really like to be somewhere else than on that aircraft. They were totally unmotivated and not offering service. Almost all the journey they were gathered in the aft galley eating. Otherwise the flight was nice with plenty of information from the flight deck.

Bahamasair customer review : 13 April 2010 by D Mauro

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

NAS-GHB-NAS. I purchased my e-ticket online, received receipt and e-ticket. Upon check-in at NAS, the agent could not find a reservation for my partner and I. Fortunately, there were two seats available and we were able to get the same fare. Apparently, my credit card was never charged in the first place. How does something like this happen? And why wasn't I contacted? The flight going went on time and the crew were professional. On the return leg, we arrived at the Governor's Harbour airport about 40 minutes prior to departure (mind you this is a tiny airport, they don't even have a security check). We were immediately scolded and rushed and told that boarding was almost complete and we were "so lucky" to be getting on. The attitude of the workers was unbelievable here and left such a bad taste in our mouths. The flight took off about 30 minutes early and we ended up arriving in Nassau when the flight was supposed to be leaving Eleuthera. Never again.

BAHAMASAIR review : 15 September 2008 : by Tamara Guzelj

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

I flew with Bahamasair from MIA to Long Island and back to Orlando. Despite the delays, we were able to catch all our connecting flights and all the Bahamasair staff were nice and accomodating. Overall, much much better than US airlines!

Bahamasair - by E Pallasn

3 July 2007

Our experience of Bahamasair was quite an adventure! We experienced delays going to and returning from the Bahamas. The airline has simply not learnt the concept of time! The inflight snacks were Ginger Ale and Peanuts (that's your lot) and the staff were kind enough to literally throw the peanuts at you! If you need to go to the toilet then make sure you go before boarding the plane as you will be faced with a leaning tower of full bin bags in the toilet. There is a total lack of consideration for people's luggage as a female passenger found out to her cost. When you complain to the airport authorities upon arrival you are told " Chill man you're in the Bahamas!" A great start to our honeymoon!

Bahamasair - by Marcena Thompson

27 October 2006

We were booked on a Bahamsair flight form George Town to Nassau, the flight failed to turn up and we had to use another carrier. Had it not been for the kindness of the staff in Nassau we would have missed our flight to the UK. We are still trying to recover our ticket refund!! Never again!!

Bahamasair - by Robin De Paepe

29 July 2005

I recently flew from Nassau to San Salvador. I had a lot of worries reading this site. The check in took more than an hour, and even if they try to do their best, it takes a lot of time for nothing. There is no indication when the flight will leave nor which gate it will be (even if only one is used). You are just called (you need to listen very carefully) and then you can go to the aircraft. The aircraft was on time and took about 1hour. Nothing special to mention. I was also surprised that you don't receive anything to drink on such flight. Crew was very polite, smiling and nice with their passengers. As a conclusion, DHC-8, quite ok, even if you could see that it is not new.

Bahamasair - by Wendy Wenner

2 January 2005

We thought we were smart to save money on our flight from Orlando to Nassau, getting two round trip tickets for $388. The trip ended up costing us around $1,500 and a full day. The flight that was originally scheduled to depart MCO at 10:15 a.m. still had not left Nassau at noon, so we left the airport. We called in periodically to check the status. Finally at 4:00 p.m. we learned the flight was going to arrive in MCO in an hour, so we said we were coming back. Not possible, we were told, because our confirmed seats had been given to standbys. Why? "We had to board passengers and you weren't there." But there was nothing to board, we reminded them. Didn't matter. We ended up flying Continental, which was a piece of cake, but very expensive. We will never ignore negative opinions on this site again!

Bahamasair - by John Nolley

24 September 2004

Those thinking of travel to the Bahamas should check to make sure they utilize other carriers, like American Eagle, US Air, Continental, etc., that fly into the islands. Bahamasair makes Aeroflot look like a competent airline. They routinely overbook by up to 30% of the plane's capacity when they know NO ONE is going to be a "no show" for the Saturday morning trip back stateside. Mid-morning flights are the worst, as the overbookings from the early flights have been given YOUR seats, yet you're told to charter your own plane (!!) or take a night flight as the afternoon ones are "full." No compensation is offered for being bumped, and getting vouchers for hotel, meals, and ground transportation (as they may send you to Miami rather than Palm Beach!) is like pulling teeth at the dentist. Half the time, they don't even realize the plane is overbooked until boarding begins--I was already going through "security" when they took my fiancee's boarding pass away due to a "full plane." None of the staff seem to know how to handle simple situations like overbooking or baggage checking, and when confronted simply go and hide in their offices on "lunch breaks" (as happened to me twice in Marsh Harbour). Baggage may often be lost, and if traveling on paper tickets, DO NOT lose a single part of your paperwork--they'll make you buy another ticket entirely rather than look in the system for your reservation (saw this happen to a poor soul from Cuba last time I flew Bahamasair-- and then they held the plane on the tarmac for an hour and a half while they took off his luggage; seems their system got crosswired since he now had two tickets reserved and failed to check in on both!) Bahamasair can really ruin your vacation. My last experience with them put me into Palm Beach SIXTEEN hours later than my scheduled return, which rather than giving me the time for a nice night at the Breakers (which I still had to pay for--the phones in Nassau's airport weren't working for me to call and cancel) meant a half an hour nap in the airport before checking in for my next flight. They didn't even want to pay for ground transport to PBI from MIA, where they rerouted me to after an overbooking fiasco.

Bahamasair - by Theo Dawkins

1 December 2003

The customer care service provided by Bahamasair is absolutely incredulous. They can truly ruin your vacation. Me and my family booked an early flight to Miami for 6 a.m. When we arrived they told us that boarding for that flight was already full, so we had to wait for the ten o' clock flight. It arrived at 1:30 in the afternoon and left at 2:00 that day with no formal apologies. I say that Bahamasair causes its own money losses .

Bahamasair - by Fernando Pollan

18 September 2003

Don't ever purchase an e-ticket through Bahamasair's website. They quote you one fare, and when you show up at the MIA check-in counter they say "Oops", the fare quoted online as an e-ticket (with ticket issuance at the counter) was not stored and now you have to pay more. Classic illegal "bait-and-switch" sales practice.

Bahamasair - by Janice Millar

22 June 2003

I do not agree with the comments made as I have flown with Bahamasair in the last few days and I have observed MAJOR improvements in their level of customer service and professionalism. I appreciate the improvements.

Bahamasair - by Thomas Zukowski

9 May 2003

I agree with Mr Fuhrmann's opinion. I know Bahamas is not the best airline, but I found the crew nice. The check-in is made up of yelling out someone's name and giving them the ticket. All their flights are very short so there is no need to fuss about the service. When I was flying to Governors Harbor we were delayed an hour and when we got on the plane there was a 20 minute problem about overbooking - that turned into a 3 hour problem because they were understaffed (which makes no sense).  I was lucky to also catch the same way out as Mr.Fuhrmann, which I must say was much better.

Bahamasair - by Harald Fuhrmann

2 May 2003

I am absolutely disgusted with the service of the national flag carrier - Bahamasair. It is totally ridiculous that we are since centuries saddled with the level of service or lack thereof in delivering passengers to their destinations in a timely manner. We have heard enough excuses. We believe that this national airline is a complete failure vis a vis customer service and delivering the difference. The only reason that Bahamasair still has passengers on the family island routes is because of the monopoly that exists there. I  fell in a Bahamasair trap a few months ago when I had to go from Miami to Freeport. I was booked on a nonstop flight UP244. At the counter I was told than they would not have that service and I would have to go via Nassau - even if I would need 5 hours for this trip. Bahamasair can spoil your vacation even before you arrive at your destination. And what is the Bahamas government saying "t is better in the Bahamas". A well known investor has another marketing slogan for the Bahamas "Look at it but do not touch it!" I was glad to be able to catch a American Eagle flight same evening and a few minutes later only.