Austrian Airlines Passenger Reviews and Austrian Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Danny Gräber    (Israel)

April 2014, Tel Aviv - Vienna - Paris CDG and back. All flights operated with A321. The plane from Vienna to Paris was nearly 4 hours late (we were given a chocolate bar and mineral water at VIE). On the whole, good service. On TLV-VIE and VIE-TLV routes, meals are served. On European routes, just a snack and drinks. On the VIE-TLV flight, it was so warm and suffocating.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Fischer Felix    (Austria)

Flight FRA-VIE, the online check-in and the iPhone app was quite difficult to use. The flight was overbooked and due to that 20 minutes delayed. The Inflight Entertainment was just Austrian Airlines advertisement. Only the food was good because I ordered an Do&Co Menu. So I was a little bit surprised how poor Austrian Airlines could be, because every time I flew Austrian before it was much better. So if this is Austrian's "standard" I can't recommend that.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2014 by Mark Ackery    (USA)

Used Austrian because Lufthansa went on strike and I have to say I loved Austrian. B777-200, JFK-VIE in seat 9K. Single seat and very comfortable. Food was outstanding as were the crew. The chef onboard is a great touch and the flight went quite fast. Then A320, VIE-LHR and again more of the great food and service with a smile. I will recommend Austrian as the service was better than Lufthansa. The only drawback was the entertainment - poor outdated games and not much else.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by R Smits    (Netherlands)

BKK-VIE. B777-200 with 10 seats across in a 3-4-3 configuration, seat width was seriously reduced. This is the most uncomfortable flight in my life. The seats are very bad.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by F Bertoni    (Italy)

Milan-Vienna-Milan. A319s, clean and well-presented. Fair cabin crew, poor selection of food (just a snack served), great selection of beverages and spirits. I still think the new Recaro seats are comfortable, somebody else would argue on that. On the way back to Milan, the flight was overbooked. Was supposed to spend a night more in Vienna, but they finally managed a seat for me. Austrian is a good airline to fly with. Was by the way impressed with the new Terminal 3 at Vienna Airport: amazing one, and the free-wifi is much appreciated.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Hardee Sabir    (Denmark)

Took CPH-EBL-CPH. Extremely satisfied with the trip, everything went as it should on time. Very nice staff.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Georgios Vrontos    (Greece)

TXL-VIE-ATH on A320, if you expect to eat better brink your own sandwich. The ordered meal is expensive from €15. Also on the long flights you have to pay €5 for amenities kit. Why bother to fly with them. The cabin was clean and both flights were on time.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by C Mayr    (Austria)

VIE-DME-VIE, both flights on A320. Cabin spotless and seats very comfortable with good leg space. FA's friendly and helpful. We got a full meal on both flight (pasta and a dessert) and drink service including coffee. Flights left and arrived on time. The experience with Austrian was very positive and nice. The flight times to Moscow are good, only complaint is Domodedovo Airport (very crowded) but that's not Austrian's fault.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by P Thomas    (Austria)

Vienna-Washington-Vienna. Seat allocation for all transatlantic and onward US flights was possible several weeks in advance. Check-in at Vienna airport could be faster. The new all-flat seats are very comfortable. Excellent food, nice wine and drinks selection. Very attentive service even though the flight was operated by not so experienced Tyrolean Airways crew. Online entertainment system is very much ok although the selection of movies and games could be wider. Flights were on time or ahead of time, new plane, meticulously clean. Good selection of food and drinks in the lounges at Vienna and Washington Dulles.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by V Tomeva    (Bulgaria)

14 Feb 2014, flight from Vienna to Sofia was not only delayed for nearly 3 hours, but the aircraft was not in the best condition to fly. 28 Feb 2014, flight Pristina - Vienna, despite of timely departure at 15.00 hrs instead of landing 16.45 hrs as planned, landed 16.58 hrs. I had a connecting flight to London at 17.15 and was expecting that ground service would take care of passengers. Instead, everyone to whom I addressed my request for assistance to speed up the transfer, as I did not have checked in luggage were being extremely unhelpful. Unfortunately Austrian airlines and Vienna airport have kind of monopoly over the connections and destination in this part of Europe, so one has to live with their way of talking to customers.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by D Groechel    (Switzerland)

IST-VIE-ZRH in Business Class. Ticket was issued by Swiss. Couldn't online check in the day before. So at Check In at Istanbul Airport I learnt there was a problem with my ticket. Therefore after cancelling my ticket and issuing a new one at the check in counter, which took almost 2 hours, they just downgraded me to Economy Class by mistake. Not enough time to re-issue the ticket as boarding had already started, and I had to rush to the gate. They promised me they would have it fixed. Arriving at the gate, the agent didn't know anything about it, and could not fix it. They told me, they would fix it in Vienna for my connecting flight into Zurich. So I had to fly Economy Class but had paid the business class fare. Arriving in Vienna, I learned, that business class for my connection flight was booked out so I had to continue in Economy. Shows clearly, Austrian is seriously not caring about business class customers. Never again with this unorganized airline!

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by P Rejchrt    (UK)

OS456/25, LHR-VIE-BKK and OS 26/451, BKK-VIE-LHR. New Business class seats allow a decent sleep, IFE selection is not great. BKK-VIE the headsets were collected in after the arrival video was shown about an hour prior to landing then the video restarted so I missed the end of the film I was watching. Second meal service (breakfast) has small portion sizes, flew this airline and class recently on the NRT route and vastly better service and more professional crew. Short connection times at VIE make this a fast route. Worst experience is the seating on OS25. Premium Miles & More customers are usually reserved seats in rows 1 and 3. This works fine except when the airline uses row 2 for families with small children or upgrades. Sleep was made difficult on OS25 by shouting at their children to control them and shouting at each other audible across 2 aisles. No re-seating available as this flight always seems to be full or over-sold. Washrooms could do with a refit on all Austrian aircraft.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Adam Muller    (Slovakia)

VIE-AMS one way, bought just few days before departure so quite expensive. Long bus ride from terminal 3 to somewhere in the middle of Vienna airport to board an old Fokker 100. I don't mind flying unusual types of aircraft's but given the engine configuration of Fokker (rear mounted engine) and the fact that I was seated in the 3rd from the back means it was extremely noisy thorough the entire flight. What bothered me the most was that the seats do not have any moveable headrests. Seat pitch poor but unfortunately that is typical to all intra-Europe economy today. Inedible snack and one round of drinks offered during the flight.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by D Moore    (UK)

Flew LHR-VIE-BKK return on a full fare business class ticket that cost over 3,000 euro. Was astonished to discover that Austrian do not provide fast track immigration pass at BKK where queues at the general passport control can often be very long. They provide on the flight back to VIE but not on arrival at BKK. Spoke to the purser who actually denied knowledge of a fast track system? There is inconsistency within the LH group in this regard. I have generally received a pass when arriving into BKK on Swiss but not recently on LH. Shoddy service to premium passengers and I suspect yet another example of cost cutting. The flights themselves were ok and more or less on schedule. I found the dinner service on the long haul sectors to be disorganised and too time consuming at a time when most passengers need to avail of the flat but claustrophobic flat beds.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by R Blizard    (UK)

LHR-VIE-DXB. Flight from London left 55 minutes late so very little time to connect. Was hot and a bit tired when boarding the Vienna to Dubai flight for a Business Class sector. Asked on entrance if I could have some water. Not one of the four members of staff offered to help and one crew member said you'll have to go to the front galley to get one. In Business Class I was stunned. Asked at my seat and was told there are bottles at every seat. None at any seat because they had forgotten to put them out. They served a drink snack packet but they did not have a drinks service. Then came the food with a drinks service. Very strange for Business Class. The crew were miserable, false cold smiles and they were clearly Tyrolean Charter Crew and not used to dealing with scheduled passengers on a route like Vienna to Dubai in Business Class. The Business Class seat was lie flat but the whole surround was very plastic and cheap. The table needed Einstein's brain to open and close it back into the seat. Finally, our baggage did not arrive at Dubai, so clearly the 09.05 ex London flight connection will always miss baggage transfer to the Dubai service. We arrived 24th December and our baggage arrived Christmas Day at 16.00 hours. In Business Class on the return flight the breakfast served was quite disgraceful and I couldn't eat any of it except for the fresh fruit. The worst meal I have had in Business Class on any flight in 46 years of travelling. Do not travel with this airline.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Michael Filnhals    (Austria)

VIE-HAM-VIE. Outbound flight on Dec 31st, return on Jan 2nd. Flight to Hamburg was delayed due to technical reasons for more than two hours. No information about the delay were given at the check-in. Passengers were informed about the delay 10 minutes before the scheduled departure. They refused to book us on an earlier flight and very unprofessional staff at the lounge. C-Class lounge was clean and calm but in the morning a very limited choice of food and beverages. We were bussed to the plane, very old F 100 outgoing to Hamburg. Breakfast in C- Class was ridiculous, panini was served with a cold! egg omelette. Cabin attendants did their job, but no smile at all. Our luggage in Hamburg was the last on the belt even it was marked with the priority label. Evening flight back to Vienna left 10 minutes late; they served a very tasteless pasta with salad. Arrived in Vienna ontime but again no priority handling for the luggage. I cannot share the good reviews of other travellers of OS C-class in Europe. I will not choose them again for European flights in Business. Disappointing!

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by J Tinning    (Austria)

I came off my early morning (arriving) flight from Dubai at Heathrow and had to check out and in again as I purchased two separate tickets. I had anticipated a nightmare doing this but it was so simple, despite terminal change etc. and the online check in queue had no one, even though both Lufthansa and Austrian share the check-in zone. Friendly check in staff. Flight OS452 (anniversary livery A320) was much quieter than I expected and there was one of many spare seats next to me. Reading material was brilliant. The snack was nice as were the drinks, which included a range of Austrian drinks such as Almdudler and Julius Meinl coffee. The crew were very friendly and the welcome on board was warm. I always enjoy my trips with Austrian and even though soon I'll be leaving my home in Vienna, I hope to use Austrian as my airline for connecting flights in the future.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by Stephen Lloyd    (UK)

LHR-VIE-BKK in Business. Short haul flights were comfortable and smooth, light meal served and seating is the typical 3 in a row with the middle one kept clear. The long haul VIE-BKK flight was on the new lie flat business seats. They were comfortable and the screen for entertainment very good, clear, sharp but a limited selection of films. The Sky Chef is a really nice touch and food was good - a really tender steak. Crew are generally reserved - but as a Star Alliance gold member I was personally greeted which is a nice touch. My reservations are basically two. The first is seating reservations. On both legs I pre booked a single seat but got put in both cases onto a pair - with the second seat empty. I thought Gold would have given me priority but it seems the Senator Gold was higher- fair enough but worth noting in future. The second was the space in the seats. On the return leg I had 8A (777-200 config) which was fine, but outboard I had 10K - right up against economy and with a tight space to 10H - a real squeeze to get in and out. Avoid this seat if possible.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  21 December 2013 by Martin Wimmer    (USA)

Booked a ticket through United Airlines, Austrian Airlines operated the flight from Vienna, Austria, to Washington DC. Had a 30 hour delay due to weather in Washington DC, had to be rebooked for the next day. Arrived at the airport with the new ticket United had sent me, but Austrian Airlines still had the old version in their system. They refused to call United and ask for verification, even though I showed them the email I got from United. I was told that if I "book through United and pay them and not Austrian Airlines", that I "can't expect any help or assistance from Austrian Airlines". In the end, the result was that I missed my connection in Washington DC which resulted in an even greater delay. I will avoid any flights operated by Austrian Airlines from now on, since they don't help in case something doesn't go as planned.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  20 December 2013 by Michal Cunderlik    (Slovakia)

I took a long haul flight from Vienna to Bangkok vice versa (02/12 - 13/12/2013) and I have no complaints, everything was pretty good. The seats are a bit narrow, but a good fit for me, the service was good, food tasty, entertainment ok and flight smooth, so for me, everything was OK.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by G Farul    (Malaysia)

Two adults and 3 younger children flew JFK-VIE-BKK in economy class in December 2013. Ground staff at JFK were inconsistent, from a very helpful check in agent to completely unhelpful and nitpicky gate agents. At first it was trying to deny me the 2-bags per person that was clearly stated in my ticket, then some back and forth about whether or not my carry on was allowed. Fortunately ground staff in VIE were more helpful particularly during boarding with small children. Onboard the newly refurbished 777, legroom was reasonable however by fitting 10 seats across in a 3-4-3 configuration, seat width was seriously reduced. This must have been one of the least comfortable seats I've been on even compared to short haul United domestic flights. Cabin crew were again inconsistent. JFK-VIE had regular water service but VIE-BKK didn't for example. VIE-BKK also missed one special meal that I ordered, and was consistently ignoring the call button from passengers around me. Meal service was reasonable, and they do have some of the freshest breads inflight I've ever tasted. Overall not the most pleasant of flights, I will be avoiding Austrian if at all possible in the future.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by K Rahman    (India)

Delhi-VIE-Lyon. 2 adults and 2 babies. On the ground in Delhi very good and helpful. In the air the crew were cold but professional. Hardly smiled even at the babies. The breakfast before arrival in Vienna pretty mediocre. The flight from Vienna to Lyon was much more friendly. The crew smiled at us and gave toys to the babies (odd that no toys were offered on the much longer DEL VIE flight). Do & Co à la carte breakfast very good on this segment. Cost 15€€but like a business class meal. All in all Austrian were OK, but lacking in service on the Delhi to Vienna flight.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by Gräber Danny    (Israel)

TLV-VIE-WAW and back, with A321 (TLV-VIE-TLV), Q400 (VIE-WAW) and Fokker 70 (WAW-VIE). A very nice experience though waiting times in Vienna for connecting flights long (there isn't much to do at VIE a/p). Service very attentive, staff extremely friendly and meals delicious (VIE-WAW-VIE - snacks only, but full bar service).

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2013 by Andersson Anders    (Sweden)

I travelled from Vienna to Copenhagen on December 3, Business Class seat 3F. This afternoon service was operated by a Fokker 100. Although this specific aircraft type has been in service for quite some years it had a totally new interior. The interior looked smart and attractive and the seat was very comfortable. I would say the best seat I have ever experienced on an Intra-European flight. The service was excellent and so was the food and drinks served. In total a very pleasant experience. I would highly recommend travelling with Austrian Airlines on Intra- European flights in Business Class.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2013 by Gustafsson Magnus    (Sweden)

I travelled with OS318 from Stockholm Arlanda Airport to Vienna Airport on December 3. The aircraft on this service was an Airbus A319 and I travelled in Economy on seat 12A. This was an early morning departure at 06.40, thus I planned to take the opportunity for a two-hour nap during the flight. Since the aircraft were equipped with the new Slim Recaro seats this was not possible. These seats gives no comfort and you must bring your own cushion, since the headrest has simply been forgotten. These terrible Recaro Seats may be cheap but they do for sure not bring any passenger satisfaction. During the flight the breakfast consisted of cinnamon buns. For early morning flights from Scandinavia it is better to omit this service or serve something that reflects the market from where the flight originates from. I am surprised that Austrian still have not realised this and adopted to what the Scandinavian customers expects.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Mauricio Canosa    (Brazil)

Berlin Tegel-Vienna-Salzburg-Vienna-Munich in business class. Seating is very tight and the new Recaro slim seats are hard and uncomfortable, even on short sectors. Fokker 100 seats more comfortable. Standard euro-business configuration as their partners Lufthansa and Swiss, regular economy class seating with a blocked seat for more space, but my legs suffered. Baggage, even with priority tags for business, missed a tight connection but were delivered at the final destination a few hours later. Crew is one of the most gracious and attentive in the skies, presenting a superior service and food, which is plenty and very-well done. Nice wines and small touches, this is my favorite business product on intra-Europe flights. Would like to see an improvement on seating comfort.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  29 November 2013 by T Ruggles    (Canada)

The review has been removed due to concerns about the authenticity of the comments

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  29 November 2013 by M Liewehr    (Germany)

DEL-VIE-WAW in C-Class. Flat-bed Seats are the same like on LX, but somehow more comfortable and more convenient as they offer more storage space. Catering as usual on OS outstanding and easily comparable with other carrier's F-Class offer. The crews on both flights were fantastic and they do really know how to provide excellent and personalised service. You will get your blanket and pillow covered with linen duvet covers (in C-Class). Connection in VIE is most convenient of all airports in Europe which I know. Good value for money considering that OS is a European company which does not work in a tax and social security free environment with huge governmental support like the Gulf carriers. Austrian offers one of the best long haul products in C-Class in the world. Short haul flights are equally good. Strongly recommended!

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Prariyadi Ario    (Germany)

TXL-VIE-BKK-SYD return. The first leg flight between TXL-VIE with Austrian and BKK-SYD with code share Thai were pleasant journeys. Compared to Thai cabin crews, the Austrian cabin crews were unfriendly and unhelpful. Unfortunately the flight VIE-BKK with Austrian OS25 was a disappointing flight. We had a 4 hour delay in Vienna without any clear information from the crews, even though we were already on-board. Most of the crews were not caring to worried passengers, especially those who have further destinations after arriving in Bangkok. The crews on the flight to Bangkok were rude. The meals were not so special. Return flight from Sydney to Berlin with the same leg SYD-BKK with Thai was good and BKK-VIE-TXL with Austrian was better compared to my first experience.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by T Pinkstone    (UK)

Flight VIE-TSE-VIE. Extremely disappointing due to cynical use of economy seating "middle seat kept free for your convenience". No inflight entertainment despite the flight being over 5 hours in length. Quite outrageous for the EUR 3,000+ charged. Despite helpful and apologetic staff I would not recommend.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Daniel Floeckinger    (Austria)

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by T Higginbotham    (USA)

Our experience has been a nightmare with this airline today. After flying from Vienna to Chicago, we were re- routed to Detroit due to bad weather. Waited on plane additional 2 hrs, finally told flight cancelled and we would be disembarking and new flight arrangements would be made after checking in at Austrian Airlines. Instead, no Austrian Airlines personnel could 'ticket' us, no option to assist in flights home from Detroit, no assistance at all. We were dumped in Detroit and loaded on to buses driving 6 hrs back to Chicago airport. When we arrived, there was no Austrian Airlines personnel to assist us. Fortunately the wonderful accommodating United Airlines staff were helpful in obtaining flights home. Their employees stayed into the early morning hrs to help us. We will never recommend this airline.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by V Dimitri    (Belgium)

Flight Larnaca-Vienna was a horrible business experience. Seating was as small as Economy. No way you could enjoy the service, no drinks offered at departure, basic service while flying, food acceptable. Absolutely no way you could work on this flight! I flew in with Swiss/Edelweiss and that was just perfect. Not recommended for business flight. Just buy economy, same service, different prices.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by F Roessler    (USA)

Flight on the newly refurbished Boeing 777 from VIE to Chicago ORD, beautiful interior, comfortable seats even in economy class, great entertainment system, free alcohol, ordered the special Do&Co menu (option for long haul flights from Vienna against a surcharge of 15 EUR - the chicken Wiener Schnitzel and the chocolate mousse to die for were totally worth it). Best was the really friendly cabin staff, quality altogether is a step up from any U.S. airline and would really recommend.

Austrian Airlines Customer review :  15 November 2013 by M Liewehr    (Germany)

IST-VIE-MUC, 14/11/2013, C-Class, IST-VIE on A319: comfortable seat, extremely attentive and friendly crew, nice and decent catering as usually on OS, VIE-MUC on F100 with new leather seats, which are among the most comfortable of any airlines in Europe, lot of space, again decent catering with a hot meal on a 35 min. flight and a very courteous and attentive crew, they really work hard to provide a very high level of service. Very much recommended and for sure OS is setting service benchmarks together with LX within the LH-group.