ANA All Nippon Airways Passenger Reviews and ANA Customer Trip Reports

ANA customer review :  31 August 2012 by Michael Lueck (New Zealand)

HND-HIJ-HND, domestic First Class. This flight was just days after the first commercial service fo the Dreamliner. Check-in was easy and friendly. It was a bit tricky, but if you find the right security door for First/Gold passengers, it is quick and easy. Lounge was nice, spacious and clean. Cabin crew were friendly, and excited about the new aircraft. Meals were great, and even on the short haul you got slippers and blankets. You even got a doggy bag to take (parts of) your meal home! Return flight was great. I am aware that this is not a normal standard flight, but there was nothing to fault at all!

ANA customer review :  14 August 2012 by M Cameto (Japan)

NRT-CDG. I have been a regular customer of ANA over the last 10 years (meaning bronze member most years). In recent years the overall quality is going down terribly. The worst is probably the new economy class seats used now on virtually all long haul flights that do not recline. Seats on long haul flights that do not recline. Try getting some rest in those seats if you're more than 175 cm tall. Second worst is mileage awards/accrual policy which terribly lags behind the competition in star alliance and elsewhere. Most tickets bought with ANA now only provide you with 50% actual miles accrual. Third is small size of portions (though nice food I must say). All in all ANA has gone down and I now prefer flying United to the US or Lufthansa to Europe. This is a shame, because this used to be a really great company.

ANA customer review :  10 August 2012 by R Calvo (USA)

Flew Seattle to Tokyo recently with ANA. The crew were the selling point of the trip. They never ran out of smiles and provided excellent inflight service. Tasty food and the best inflight fruit juice I've had on a plane.

ANA customer review :  8 August 2012 by Charles Nave (Singapore)

Flew ANA return from Singapore to Tokyo in July 2012. Seats do not recline in economy, however, the bottom cushion shifts forward. For someone of average height this is probably fine, however, being over 6ft this just crushes my leg room so had to spend the entire midnight flight trying to sleep in a completely upright position. Secondly, the meals were awful. I had the choice of a local meal and a 'western meal' of a hamburger covered in cheese with one small baby carrot. Finally, the entertainment system was really not first class and offered little variety. Either way, I will be paying a premium next time to fly with a better carrier.

ANA customer review :  2 August 2012 by Tony Banwait (USA)

Manila to Narita in July 2012. Quite impressed with good attentive service by nice cabin crew. Choice of meals offered and free flowing beer or wine. Pleasant flight overall. Only annoyance I had was no one from economy was permitted to deplane until the entire business cabin was empty. This took at least ten minutes of us standing in the aisle and definitely caused some passenger to become irritated.

ANA customer review :  23 July 2012 by S Medina (USA)

They were extremely helpful in putting us on an earlier flight to ensure we made our connection as well as retrieving our bags to ensure they made it to our destination with us. The cabin attendants were polite and gracious. Our seats were comfortable and roomy and made our 12 hour flight not just bearable but enjoyable. I would recommend for their professionalism and efficiency.

ANA customer review :  23 July 2012 by B Chua (Singapore)

SIN-NRT-SIN. Service was excellent on both legs. Flight attendants were warm and prompt to attend to customers' needs. After meal time, they went around frequently to offer water, juice or tea to keep us hydrated for the flight. Inflight entertainment was alright. However, some foreign movies didn't have English subtitles so English speaking customers are pretty much limited to Hollywood movies. Food served was pretty good. Instead of just verbally asking you for the meal option, they provided a picture of the two options so it made the selection much easier. Customers know what to expect from the picture. I also like how Fiji mineral water bottles were given out during meal times. I would definitely fly with ANA again.

ANA customer review :  23 July 2012 by C Kim (USA)

This was my second trip on ANA and similar to my previous experience, I must say that the fixed economy seat is unbearable! Besides that, I can't really find a reason to complain about this airline. I appreciate the little things such as, the fiji water bottle, the haagen daz ice cream, complimentary post cards, etc. Customer service is also another plus about this airline, as everyone from the check in agent to the in-flight staff provide exceptional customer care. If not only for the uncomfortable seats, I would not hesitate in wanting to fly with them again.

ANA customer review :  17 July 2012 by David Balladon (UK)

I had never flown ANA before and was pleasantly surprised. I flew from Tokyo to Hong Kong, I was actually due to fly with UA but they hired ANA for the flight. I was extremely relieved as UA are dreadful as I had taken them from Guam to Tokyo. ANA was a breath of fresh air. I flew business, the seats were the new cradle seats, very comfortable. Staff were friendly. There was on demand TV with new movies. They also give you a choice of 2 menus to choose from, either Western or Asian. The strange thing is you can't mix and match the menus.

ANA customer review :  17 July 2012 by Justin Ferido (Japan)

Flight on a 767-300 from Okinawa to Narita connecting to Honolulu (via United). Wonderful 2 hour flight. Flight attendants catered to my every need. Check in was crowded in the Economy line due to everybody leaving for summer break. Other than that it was a wonderful time. I can't say the same about the next flight on United.

ANA customer review :  10 July 2012 by M Gleeson (Ireland)

I was very impressed with ANA's latest service standard on a 777-300ER flight from Frankfurt to Tokyo-Narita. With the only exception of this aeroplane type being much noisier than usual near the back, this was pretty much as good as any economy class service I have been in. The plane was in a 2-4-3 configuration which gives various group sizes more options than the standard aeroplane layouts. Despite some negative reviews that I have read, the fixed shell seats were excellent and gave one all options for what to do on the flight - work or rest. With this type of seat and good legroom, one is no longer at the mercy of the passenger in front. The seat design was as good as Singapore's A380's and had top-class in-flight entertainment, including the best flight progress maps and data that I have seen. The reason for the flight not being a 10 is the noise.

ANA customer review :  10 July 2012 by M Suehiro (USA)

Flew ANA NH 916 from Bangkok to Narita. The check in process was horrible and the customer service agent didn't know how to switch my seats for me when I requested and instead tried to upgrade me into Business class. There was confusion as to whether I could get lounge access since I was booked in economy but I was showing status as a million mile flyer and a Star Gold. At the gate, I was told that the cabin was fairly open and I could move to an open aisle seat. I asked for confirmation and an official change on the ticket but was assured it wouldn't be a problem. Once onboard, the chief purser was polite but was obviously very distracted with her colleagues and wasn't able to assist me. When it looked like the majority of people had got onboard, I asked the flight attendant if it was ok to change seats and was told it was not possible, I would have to do it once we are airborne. When the seat belt light came off, I attempted to move seats and was again told to take my original seats. For the price of the ticket and the fact I am a 100K mile flyer on the Star Alliance, I was not only exasperated at how little flexibility and competence the flight attendants have to ensuring good customer satisfaction.

ANA customer review :  4 July 2012 by J Franklin (USA)

6/20/12. Check in was polite and nice. English not too bad at check-in. It was very obvious that she was not comfortable speaking in English and she "spoke" more with sign language than words. Economy line was very long and there was no one to attend to the line. Mentioned I was a Star Alliance Gold member (United 1K) and asked which lounges can I go to. Was told I was in economy and not eligible. I reminded her Star Gold members can go ahead and access lounges and found the lounge on my own where I was welcomed. Inflight service was nothing special. Rather outdated compared to other airlines flying this same route. I asked the Flight Attendant a question on the US Customs Form and she didn't understand what I was asking so she brought the Purser and was told a completely different thing. The food was sub par and cold. For the price paid, I am inclined to leave the Star Alliance and travel on Japan Airlines. They have a try harder spirit recently and it feels nice to be appreciated as a frequent flyer instead of being reminded of an economy class ticket. I often fly UAL but thought I would try ANA since I would get the same mileage accrue. For the price paid, it was a disaster.

ANA customer review :  19 June 2012 by A Fisher (Japan)

My flight to Frankfurt and back from Haneda on the 787 was not quite a dream, but it was quite nice. The service was especially good. And the washlets were a nice surprise. I doubt that US airlines will see the value in installing them. There was one problem though. I sat in the front row of the rear economy section both ways to enjoy the extra leg room However, there are three toilets just in front of that section. And the doors automatically bang shut unless the user holds the door and closes it carefully. It was especially annoying during the lights dimmed, sleep period.

ANA customer review :  19 June 2012 by K Inouye (USA)

LAX-NRT-LAX on a newly configured 777-300ER and NRT-OKA-NRT on a domestic configured 767-300. ANA has great service and their planes always feel brand new. I was excited to experience their new fixed-back economy seats on the 773ER. Plenty of legroom in the non-reclined position and I love the fact that they configure their 777-300ERs in a 2-4-3 configuration with a double armrest between the pair of four seats. It's also nice not having the person in front of you recline BUT the seats are impossible to sleep in. I won't be flying their Y class again. They're supposed to be introducing a new Prem Econ class soon, will look into that next time around. Food was good and plentiful and their flight attendants are spot on. Flights on the domestic 767s were OK, enough seat pitch to make a 2 1/2 hour flight bearable. Anything over that might start to get uncomfortable. ANA, the fixed-back economy seats didn't work for Cathay and they're certainly not working for you.

ANA customer review :  8 June 2012 by A Lim (USA)

My flight from LA to Manila with a stopover in Narita (Tokyo) was extremely uncomfortable in spite of the better seat pitch. The ANA gate is on the extreme edge of the LAX, a 10 minute walk from Bradley terminal. Then from the gate, you'll have to get a bus - another 10 minutes - to another stand-alone gate structure out in the runway area to board. The cabin was very hot, and the seats have no individual air conditioning control. Throughout the 11 hrs flight, the florescent light overhead was left on at all times, which made it difficult to nap or sleep. The transfer in Narita was also a nightmare. There was a long line to another security check, plus another 10 minutes walk, and 3 floors down to board the connecting flight to Manila. I've flown several airlines, to cities in US, Europe and Asia, and this is, by far, the most uncomfortable flight experience I ever had.

ANA customer review :  31 May 2012 by C Jensen (USA)

NRT-SGN return. New business class pod seats in the 767 are ok but certainly not as good as a lie-flat seat (which would be too much to expect on a 6-hour flight). Boarding was orderly. Food was good (I had the Japanese selections) as was the service. Flights in both directions left and arrived on time.

ANA customer review :  21 May 2012 by R Kwan (Singapore)

SIN-NRT-LAX. The seats from SIN-NRT were very small, almost unbearable for a 7 hour flight. Food was quite ok but one thing to note about ANA is that their service is excellent. The flight from NRT-LAX was a lot better, with a bigger aircraft and much more legroom. Their seats do not really recline but slide forward, something I didn't really mind with ample leg room on my NRT-LAX flight but was a huge problem for the smaller aircraft. Overall, I guess you get what you pay for and it's quite an affordable choice. I think their flights to the US (and from) are the bigger planes so try to avoid ANA if you're flying within Asia I suppose. Otherwise, recommended!

ANA customer review :  17 May 2012 by Christopher David (USA)

I couldn't believe how small the seats were and I'm not a big guy. The food was pretty bad as most airline food is but this was beyond that. Plane was very clean and if I didn't have an exit row seat I would have jumped out of the plane. Staff was very attentive and efficient. As soon as I was notified I had a flight on ANA I registered as a frequent flyer and this is where you can choose your seats not through United where I booked my award flight.