American Eagle Passenger Reviews and American Eagle Customer Trip Reports

1 2

AMERICAN EAGLE customer review :  7 May 2010 : by Liam Buckley   (USA)

PHL-ORD-XNA. With a little luck I experienced the new First Class on American Eagle on their CRJ aircraft. I say luck as there is no clue that there would be first class on the flights - seat selection map was as normal - all one class but I happened to pick in the first 3 rows and got a first class seat, FA told me that there is no priority given to frequent fliers and I felt that is an oversight by AE to show off their product to their best customers. Seats will be sold as first class from July 1. Seats were very comfortable - in fact the most comfortable American Eagle flights I have had! One downside is the loss of the overhead on the single seat side (there are 3 rows of 1+2) and one of the remaining bins contained an oxygen canister. Maybe AE missed a chance to put some full size bins on the one side? Definitely a step in the right direction for AE and I will no longer avoid their CRJ aircraft (as I do the Embraer).

AMERICAN EAGLE customer review :  10 March 2010 : by L Scheer   (USA)

CLE-LGA, JFK-CLE. I needed to get to NYC early to catch an international flight leaving from EWR (due to airline changing airports) and this was my only option at the time. I checked the seating chart and also called customer service to see what the flight load was and the rep said the plane was pretty full and for $50.00 I could do a same day confirmed standby, so I did. I arrived at CLE gate to find only 7 passengers on the flight. What a rip-off! The FA was nice, BOB for snacks. Return flight was much better, flight was passengers PAX total . FA was great and very personable. Many carry-ons were gate checked and were received shortly after landing.

AMERICAN EAGLE customer review :  17 January 2010 : by Frank Cava   (USA)

Commuting from the midwest to Boston every week, I have taken dozens of flights with American Eagle, typically on a Embraer regional jet with the 1x2 seat layout. Presuming pricing is equal, they are my preferred airline due to the Embraer aircraft. That said - pricing is all over the board. I may pay $200 one week and the next week the same flight is $400. I have preferred status so I always have access to the exit row (9 or 11), which are the only reasonably comfortable seats on the plane (1a is also ok if you have no Carry-On). Attendants are pleasant and attentive. Complimentary beverages are served, but no snacks. Because the plane is small, boarding and deplaning is quite fast. American Eagle allows gate checking of carry-ons which is necessary if you are taking anything more than about 9" in depth. I have actually bought a rolling computer bag specifically because it is the size and shape of the Embraer overhead compartment. Don't expect a standard roller bag to fit - they don't even get close. Biggest complaint is overhead light maintenance - at least 1 of 5 flights, the overhead light is burned out. 2nd biggest complaint is temperature. The front of the plane is hot and the rear is cold. The exit row gives extra legroom, but it also is a cold seat in winter. Keep you coat handy. Overall, it is a reasonable flying experience if you can keep from changing planes in LaGuardia.

AMERICAN EAGLE customer review :  1 January 2010 : by S Reay   (Australia)

Toronto to La Guardia. Very helpful at check in and gate. Small old aircraft but nice flight attendant on board and served a drink on the short flight. Age of airplane was my only concern.

AMERICAN EAGLE customer review :  29 December 2009 : by T Vuola   (Finland)

Key West - MIA. Easy check in, thereafter clueless/lacking service and rude staff. Plane late without any particular reason given. Succeeded to get places to the next flight, which departed earlier, only after insisting on various (non-responding, uninterested) persons (we were about to miss the following transatlantic flight). Service onboard unfriendly.

AMERICAN EAGLE customer review :  17 December 2009 : by J Kramer   (Germany)

MIA-NAS and return with ATR72. Two nice short flights. But both legs were late - due to a technical problem and due to mismanagement of the ground staff - there was no one to unload the aircraft in Miami. American Eagle gates in MIA are very run-down.

AMERICAN EAGLE customer review :  11 December 2009 : by Kellie Miller   (USA)

I was stuck in the same situation, around the same time as the previous commenter. I waited in DFW airport for almost 3 days waiting for a flight out due to fog, which was a legitimate problem. However, my biggest complaint was the seeming nonchalance about the situation. After being put on standby after my initial flight was cancelled and watching the next 4 flights cancel as well, I was informed that no more flights were going out that day (it was 7pm) and no more would be scheduled. Granted, I don't know the specifics that need to take place to schedule/staff flights, but I don't feel like AE/AA did anywhere near what they could have to remedy the situation. On another trip, I arrived to the small regional airport I fly out of 40 minutes before my flight (I know they say an hour, but its such a tiny place there is never an issue). I went to the check in desk and found that there were no AE/AA employees there. Anywhere. I asked the agent from another line what was going on and was told "AE runs with only barebones staff, and he went on break." I waited 15 minutes until the agent arrived and was told "Oh, ma'am, you missed your flight." I then spent the rest of the day on standby trying to catch one of only a few flights out. I made it, thank goodness, but the nonchalance and general organization of AE definitely made for a less than pleasant trip.

AMERICAN EAGLE review :  14 December 2009 by R Downs

Trip Rating : 0/10

Arrived at airport at 6 am this morning to find my flight cancelled due to fog (that's right low clouds). I am still sitting here at 11:10 am while listening to every other airline depart and arrive at this airport while American Eagle struggles to get their act together. I am looking at the departure board and every airline is on time except American Eagle. Travel at your own risk.

AMERICAN EAGLE review :  25 August 2009 : by P Willmering

Trip Rating : 1/10

DAL to LIT. Recently flew Am Eagle from Dallas to Little Rock. When I got on the plane the senior citizen next to me asked the stewardess where the restroom was located. The stewardess rudely stated that "they announced at the gate that the restroom is broken and you should go before you get on the plane." When we informed her that neither of us heard the annoucement, she just stared. Then she said, "well, it is just a short flight, so it is okay-only 53 minutes." I tried to explain that for us senior citizens that it is not okay and she just walked away. I mean, come on. Can't they even maintain the restrooms? And, to make matters worse, I complained to American Airlines and have yet to get a response. Poor maintenance issues, late flights and rude agents in the past made me start to doubt the airline, and this is just the frosting on the cake!

AMERICAN EAGLE review :  19 July 2009 : by Larry Caillouet

Trip Rating : 2/10

We were on the fourth flight scheduled from San Juan to Tortola BVI. The first three were cancelled due to mechanical problems with the plane. The fourth flight finally left 2 hours late. American Eagle does not have enough mechanics or spare parts to keep their planes in the air in a reliable way. In the future I will fly to St. Thomas and take the ferry to Tortola to avoid American Eagle.

AMERICAN EAGLE review :  10 June 2009 : by Karri Ojanen

Trip Rating : 1/10

YYZ-HEL-YYZ. I had booked a return trip from Toronto to Helsinki via JFK. The New York - Helsinki leg was on Finnair, and the service on those flights was great, but the Toronto - New York connection was sold to me as Finnair codeshare on American Eagle. Quite soon after I had arrived at Toronto, checked in and gone through security, it was announced that the American Eagle flight to JFK will be delayed by an hour because of "bad weather" at JFK. For me the delay meant missing my Finnair flight from JFK to HEL, and so as soon as I heard about the delay, I tried to track down the American Eagle/American Airlines staff in Toronto to see what can be done to help me make it on the Finnair flight. However, the AE/AA staff was nowhere to be found. When I finally got to talk with them, I talked with several people, whose advice was basically just this: "Well, there is another Finnair flight from JFK to HEL the next day, you just catch that one instead." When I finally made it to JFK, an hour and 10 minutes late, the Finnair flight was leaving in 2 minutes. We were at gate 34 and Finnair at gate 4. I ran all the way, and made it. Obviously, my bag didn't. I would've liked to see AE/AA help me somehow along the way, but nothing was offered. Glad I made it though, and I got my bag the next day.

AMERICAN EAGLE review :  12 May 2009 : by D Morton

Trip Rating : 7/10

YYZ-ORD-YYZ. Booked flights on American Eagle online then realised that they use rather small aircraft and regretted it! However, our return flight from Toronto to Chicago was pretty good. Check in and bag drop was fast, efficient and the AA staff on duty were courteous and friendly. Admiral's Club lounge was ok at both ends - complimentary glass of wine in ORD. Both flights on time and the advantage of these smaller Embraer 145s is that they can be filled and unloaded quickly. Efficient FA each way if not over friendly and complimentary soft drinks served. Seat belt sign on for duration of flights each way, a few bumps here and there. Seats were comfortable enough for a one hour flight and leg room was ok (neither my partner or I are particularly small people). Landed early at Toronto and sat on runway for a few minutes waiting for gate to become available. But all in all a pretty good experience for the fare.

AMERICAN EAGLE review :  1 December 2008 : by M Dorrell

Trip Rating : 8/10

ORD-BUF - a short hop on American Eagle and a very decent experience. Check in was fast and efficient and I was told I would be better off checking in my one bag on the airbridge which was very helpful. Boarding on time and I settled into 1A. It was nice to have some extra legroom at the front and not a problem being opposite the tiny galley - the crew member relieved me of my carry-on as no underseat storage and was prompt in asking if I needed it after take -off and also in returning it at the end. Flight left on time - plane was clean and we arrived ahead of schedule. Bags were quickly returned to the airbridge on deplaning. Overall short but very sweet experience.

American Eagle review by Ron Miller

24 May 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 4 Star Rating

St. Louis to Nashville return. Both flights left and arrived exactly on time. Both planes were clean and orderly. Even though both were "regional jets" I had a exit row on the way out, and row #1 on the way back which meant plenty of leg room both ways. The in-flight service was fine considering both were 1 hour flights.

American Eagle review by Maria Ionita

11 April 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 2 Star Rating

Toronto to Louisville return, via Chicago - Plane was 45 minutes late at departure, which meant that I had to run to make my Chicago connection (they literally closed the door after me). We flew on Embraers on each flight - interiors in pretty poor shape, and quite dirty, with in-flight magazines looking as if they had been used to clean the floors. The seats were incredibly narrow and all planes were full. Service was very friendly, though, with the hostesses apologetic for the hideous quality of the snacks. Free soft drinks departing from Louisville, but not from Toronto. I flew on an award ticket, but I'm not sure I would pay full price for such a trip.

1 2