American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by M Guillon    (UK)

March 2014, AA 39, London Heathrow to Miami. AA2438, Miami to San Jose. 16th April 2014, AA 353, San Jose to Miami. AA38, Miami to London Heathrow. Haven't even travelled with AA yet but already we are thoroughly disillusioned. Have travelled business class with many different airlines over the decades, and never experienced such disregard. For personal reasons we need a window seat and aisle, so the moment we book a flight we go online and book our seats. These are always, without fail, honoured. But American Airlines have already thrown us out of our pre-books seats 3 times, relocating us in inappropriate seats and separated! Each time we have re-books seats, but today find they have moved us again and suddenly all other seats are full! We phoned only to be told that they were not prepared to move other passengers despite them being single travellers even though they had moved us three times without reference to our wishes. We are no longer looking forward to our journey and will be avoiding AA in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Ian Lancaster    (UK)

Flight 2048, MIA to JFK, Feb 15th, in Coach extra. JFK was recovering from a snow-storm, but that doesn't forgive the appalling service delivered by AA to passengers stuck for 8 hours on what should be a 3-hour flight. 1 hour late departure, ATC orders, no blame. 45 minutes holding pattern somewhere off the coast around DC, a further delay. Running out of fuel, so we have to land in Philadelphia. Quick refuel and push-back, only to stop halfway through because the tow-bar has broken. Then return to the gate for one passenger to deplane, no explanation, but efficiently and quickly done. Land at JFK at 10.45 pm. No gate, held on taxiway, get assigned gate but access blocked by de-icing an outbound plane, assigned another gate so taxi a couple of hundred yards then stop. Eventually move to gate but another 15-minute delay. Eventually get to the gate and disembark at 12.30 am. Wait for baggage is interminable, and at first there is no information as to which carousel it's coming on. I get mine at about 1.50 am, and that's marked Priority. In 8 hours on the plane, there was one drinks service, no additional refreshment except for a hand-out of an oat bar. Inadequate communication from the flight deck as to what was happening once we'd landed at JFK. Appalling behaviour and lack of customer care.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by P Hopper    (Ireland)

Business Class from Dublin to JFK. Not a great service at all. When we got on the plane the pre-flight drinks were sitting on the table of one of the business class seats. Everything rushed. Hostesses do just the bare minimum required. Earphones faulty. Had them changed and the new ones didn't work. Turns out the socket for the earphones in my seat was broken. So, no inflight entertainment for me for the whole flight, unless I was prepared for visuals only. Then got a cup of coffee in a filthy cup. Admirals Lounge in JFK is a joke. Pretzels, cheese, carrots, apples, some juice and coffee. That's it. You have to pay for anything else at airport prices. Then they looked for $10.50 for a glass of wine. I thought the girl behind the bar was joking. She wasn't. She reluctantly told me that one wine was complimentary and she begrudgingly served it. How can they justify charging Business prices and provide such a sub-standard product? Will never fly with them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Mary Ann Yarian    (USA)

We traveled Jan 15 - Feb. 14. Our plane was delayed for an hour in LA and another 45 minutes in Chicago. There were only a few snacks available on our flight, the TV didn't work properly and when we got home to Flint, MI our luggage wasn't there and there was no reason for this because we had to wait for an hour on the tarmac before taking off.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 February 2014 by H Wilson    (USA)

Would not recommend flying American. Yesterday morning I called their customer service/flight status line and requested the status of my flight from Cleveland to Charlotte. The automated system told me it was on time and, after I selected the option, even texted me a copy of the status stating the same thing. I drove to the airport, paid to park, went to the counter to check my bag and the counter clerk, who was quite rude and non-empathetic, said your flight was cancelled yesterday. Meanwhile I receive a call from my wife who says she received a call at home stating my connecting flight out of Charlotte had been delayed, but the counter clerk had already told me that flight was cancelled too. No call was ever made to tell me either flight had been canceled. I am sure they would like to blame this on the merger, or maybe even the severe weather and quantity of flight cancellations, but that is nonsense.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by M Dorton    (USA)

Flew 2/9/2014 from St. Martin to IAH, changing in Miami. We were in the first part ("extra legroom" section) of the Main Cabin. On the first leg, AA was sold out of Meals for Purchase by Row 11. (Dozens of rows behind - no food, upset travelers). During the 3 hour calm flight, attendants came down the row once to offer a beverage. Zero customer service. Extremely unpleasant crew. During the Miami layover had to retrieve luggage due to Customs. Plane landed at 6.42pm. Got our luggage at 8.05pm! Others still waiting after us. Baggage Claim personnel gave zero customer service. On the second leg into IAH, attendants told everyone that someone forgot to put any liquor/beer on the flight. And, again, attendants came down the aisle once during the 2.5hr flight to offer a beverage (juice, water, soda only). Zero customer service. AA has a long ways to go in the Customer Service department.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by Laina Shuey    (USA)

2/9/14, LAX to Chicago. I am extremely disappointed with American Airlines customer service. Staff were unfriendly and rude during the boarding and ticketing process. During the check-in process I received a message that I had not chosen a seat and was asked to pay an additional $68 for an upgraded seat. From the mobile phone, the check-in process could not be completed until this upgrade was purchased. At the airport, during the self check-in, it was clear a seat had been chosen, and no upgrade was needed at that time. Why are the two systems not compatible with each other? During boarding they allowed all passengers to board who did not have roller bags. This then resulted in less space for these roller bags during the boarding process. Flight attendant's allowed customers to place small bags and coats in the overhead compartments. When it came time to board the roller bags, there was not enough room for these bags. This could have been avoided had the staff asked these other customers to please remove smaller items and place under the seat. Instead, they were then rude to those with roller bags who did not have enough space, accusing them of delaying the flight further. This seems like a rather inefficient process, and one that should be reviewed to provide better customer service to those flying on American.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Charlie Lohmann    (USA)

Traveled DFW-NRT over Christmas break in 2012. Old 777-200, but the cabin was maintained pretty well and clean. Boarded last because of a late connection, whisked into an almost empty first class. Food service was quick and good, the steak I ordered was surprisingly good. An old flight attendant turned out to be a very funny and nice man who did everything to make the flight better, and knew when to leave me alone (sleeping). Personal TV screen was not of the highest quality, but personal none the less and thus enjoyable. Lay flat seat worked just fine, and the ability to swivel and work on a desk was a plus. Calm flight except for circling for 30 mins before landing at Narita.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Cora Martin    (USA)

ORD to IAH. Check in was a bit of a hassle since the American Airlines staff directed us to a machine kiosk that was malfunctioning. After that hurdle was crossed, a slew of others slowly came our way. Our original flight to IAH Houston was scheduled for 3.15pm, at 2.55pm (local time) and arriving at 5.55pm, the gate attendant told us that the flight had been delayed for an unspecified amount of time. We soon learned that the gate had been changed, no announcement by telecom, only by looking at the airport television screens did we figure this out. The new departure time was 3:34pm, but that didn't happen either so the staff delayed the flight again to 4.04pm. As 4.15pm approached everyone was finally seated on this haggard and small CR7 jet. As we were about to leave the gate, the pilot said there needed to be some maintenance and that it would take "5 minutes" to complete. 5 minutes passed and then 10 and then 20. By this time it was 4.25pm, and we had yet to leave the gate. At 4.45pm we began taxing onto the runway when another problem arose. There apparently was an electrical failure and maintenance needed to be done once again. Back to the gate we go and by now its 5.10pm. Maintenance fixed the problem and off we go! We finally take off at 5.45pm.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by J Webb    (USA)

Booked a flight for wife, stepdaughter and grandson to visit me in San Francisco from Indianapolis. (IND to SFO). The first leg to Dallas was delayed. They spent 4 hours waiting in Indy to catch a flight to Chicago. Flight from Chicago to San Francisco was delayed. What normally takes me 6 hours with Delta has now taken them 15 hours. When I had long delays with Delta they rebooked on another carrier for direct flights. AA = Anguishing Anxiety.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Jose Montoya    (USA)

DFW-BOG on A319: Feb 7th. This aircraft should not fly internationally. Not on a 5-hour route, anyway. First class is a complete joke with only 2 rows. The bulkhead is extraordinarily uncomfortable and the last and second row simply horrible as seat cannot recline because it is placed physically against the partition between first and coach cabins. Entertainment? Lots of options If the controls work (I was in two seats and none worked properly). All these in addition to an over two-hours delay (excused by the nasty weather in the USA the last couple of weeks). What did not have an excuse, at all, was the extremely dirty plane (bathroom was not even flushed when first passengers boarded). AA flights to Colombia have shown substandard service and equipment for the longest. I hope all the positive changes in AA's culture that have started being evident after the merger with USAirways, also benefit USA-Colombia travelers. In the meantime, my personal advice to AA's Bogota-bound travelers: do not pay Business or First. AA is generally a good value in the back of the plane but not worth pay premium cabin for a substandard product and service into Bogota. I recommend AA anywhere but Colombia-bound routes.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2014 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

BOS-DFW-MEX and return MEX-MIA-BOS. 1/21/14 - 2/1/14. AA Platinum Desk gracefully accommodated our request for a departure a day before scheduled because of impending snow storm on 1/22. All flights on time or ahead, upgraded using 500 miles awards on two of the legs. Service in first was prompt and cheerful. Food was fine-just the right menu for the time of day. Boarding well organized. Equipment well-maintained. All in all a very pleasant experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 February 2014 by J Bacallado    (Spain)

We took our first American flight in 15 years to see if they improved and boy were we wrong. We took a 45 minute MAD-PUJ, via MIA, and return. All flights on time, check in fast and easy. Priority boarding. On board very old planes on all sectors, very nice flight crew. Their Business Class still have the inclined lay flat seats, can feel a little uncomfortable for a night flight. But for other positions is OK. Food better than usual, and nice selection of wines and drinks. For the first time, connections at MIA went smooth and fast.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by K Miller    (USA)

We took our first American flight in 15 years to see if they improved and boy were we wrong. We took a 45 minute flight from Beaumont TX to Dallas TX. We were coming back the next morning the same time. The time for our check- in came and passed as we did not get the normal check-in email. When we checked our status they had canceled our flight. They did not even notify us to this. Then as we were waiting on the phone for Customer service we drove all the way to the airport. They sent us to Dallas fully aware that we were not going to get back home. They placed us on another flight 5 hours later than the original flight. Then I looked online to see what was going on. They weather was around 32 degrees. 281 flights had been cancelled in Dallas. At the time I looked 211 of those 281 were American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by M Hudson    (Australia)

Flew Las Vegas - JFK, 28 Jan 2014. If it wasn't for our crew the flight would've been miserable, all the crew smiled from boarding to landing I was expecting the opposite the Flight attendant looking after us in the front was excellent he was always in the cabin offering drinks and so on only complaint is the seats and IFE after coming off a Virgin America first class flight they are way beyond AA's seats. The food was below par way below par that I couldn't eat it where as I could eat almost anything.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 January 2014 by P Yeung    (Hong Kong)

LAX-NRT, Economy cabin, B777-200. Have to say, one of my worst experiences in a very long time. Were told before boarding the IFE was broken so expect no TV for the next 12 hrs. Boarded an old plane with dirty cabins. Blanket and candy wrappers in my/ my wife's seat pockets. To my right on the other side of the aisle there was a lady with an empty seat next to her. She wanted to fold up the armrest so she could sleep across but the armrest would not stay up, which was later solved by flight attendants using masking tape. My reading light was broken. American Airlines truly lived up to what US airlines are famous for - grumpy flight attendants, shouting at foreign passengers who merely wanted to find out more about the food they were being served. And while on food, absolutely horrible, and I am sure anyone on that flight would have described it as such. Same chicken and rice dish for both meals but called different names. Same sauce, same meat, but one with carrots and onions. Not asking for Michelin- starred gourmet meals but this was just miles apart from coach class catering at other airlines I have flown with for example Cathay or Japan Airlines. If they can do it why can't American. Flight attendants delivering service chewing gum. Signs they were getting a tad too relaxed about their work environment. I am a frequent traveller and do not often (in fact my first time) post reviews but I really think flight deserves American's attention.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Lee Moon    (UK)

LAX to LHR, AA 136, 27th Jan. New AA Business Class. Lounge very relaxing and bar served a variety of drinks. Nibbles were ok and more substantial food was available for a fee. Once on board, this is the new lie flat AA product and feels more like a first class seat than business. Flight staff were very attentive and the service on the 9 hour overnight flight was great. Amazing food, great entertainment on a large screen and the seat is great for working, and sleeping too. A decent pillow and fleece blanket are provided. THe walk up bar with snacks during the flight was great as were the massive toilets in which you can change into more comfy wear for sleeping, pj's are not provided. Bose headphones made for cinema sound and the amenity kit was of a good quality too. Food servings, being on an American carrier, are generous. All in all, an excellent product and this does give Emirates and Etihad a run for their money as one of the best in the sky - well worth a try.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Pierre Longpré    (Quebec)

Originally, meant to flu YUL-LGA/JFK-CDG on Dec 24th 2013 and CDG-JFK-YUL on Jan 5th 2014 but a lot of changes occurred! Our JFK-CDG was cancelled due to weather in Paris. Flight from YUL-LGA was finally cancelled at the gate, they rescheduled us on Air Canada to BOS (CRJ50), then British Airways to LHR. AA agents were ok and all speck fluent French. On the BOS-LHR flight (B747-400), they put us in premium economy, seating was good, but meal disgusting. Arrived at LHR around 4.50am, we had our CDG flight scheduled at 3pm, but British Airways found places for us on an earlier flight (A320). Our return wasn't cancelled, as we entered the plane, a B757-200 wifi- equipped, we and 10 other passengers were told to go back to the gate. Given vouchers, 800USD each, Hyatt hotel and complimentary meals. The next morning, staff helped us find the best flight. CDG-MIA-YUL. The 10 hours long CDG-MIA flight was on an outdated B767-300 but was really clean. Food was better than BA but still not as AF or Egyptair. No individual TV of course, but good seat. I was able to sleep. The rest of the trip, MIA-YUL was on an B737-800. Normal flight, free beverages and everything else we needed to pay for. Great staff. I would fly them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by C Thomas    (UK)

AA47, LHR-ORD in Business - maybe 70% full on Saturday lunchtime. 777-200 with 2-3-2 business class. Attentive crew, a mixture of experienced and new, who showed a real pride in the service they offered. Good, concise communication from the flight deck. Food OK, wine reasonable (although does show cost cutting vs 4 years ago when I last flew this route). Cabin showing a little wear and tear but generally OK and serviceable. IFE showing its age, but again, perfectly OK for an 8 hour stretch. Half the price of BA (although BA were in gouging mode because the flight was booked within 2 weeks of departure). On time departure, 10 minutes early arrival. A decent product when delivered by a crew who care, as was the case this time.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by P Billez    (Brazil)

Have flown AA F GRU-MIA-GRU several times. It is true that AA has pyjamas in First and better linen but still: cabin is always a bit dirty, food is pathetic for first class with $8 wines and cheap whisky. Service has improved a bit, they try but far from being a real F experience. On arrival, especially at GRU, priority tags are just part of your luggage decor: I have lost count of how many times I had to wait much more than coach passengers for my bags. The TAM product is far better and as they join Oneworld soon, goodbye AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by R Banerjee    (USA)

JFK to Heathrow. The flight was needlessly delayed by 3hrs at first not because of any weather or anything, but just because it was not "ready" yet, and then, after we were boarded, it was again delayed by 2 hrs. After we landed in Heathrow, people who missed flights were not given any sort of lodging, etc. This is totally unexpected from an international airline which is considered first rate. I write this comment to let people know what they can expect if they plan on a long flight with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Gore Joe    (UK)

LHR-ORD, AA 91, 14th January - a good comfortable flight, and the food was reasonable. Excellent flight attendants, very friendly and helpful. DFW-LHR, AA78 - Business - 20th January. Although the business cabin was full, the seat was very comfortable, and the service impeccable. Very friendly FA's. This was my 3rd multi sector trip from London with AA, and every time I have found the whole experience to far exceed my expectations.