American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Bob Parker    (USA)

Flew DFW to FRA on 777. Crew was very helpful. Nice entertainment. Good food! This is one of the best airlines in the US.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by C Christopher    (USA)

LGA-PBI, April 19th, 2014 was overall great. Flight was on time, and we even landed early. The crew of flight attendants and pilots were nothing great, flight attendants didn't give much personal attention to the passengers it seemed. We were seated in Main Cabin Extra in the front row (8A,8B,8C). Main Cabin Extra is supposed to have 6 inches of extra legroom, since we were seated in the front with the bulkhead in front of us, which is really just a wall for those of you who don't know, it did not feel like we had 6 inches of legroom, and it felt very cramped through the whole area. If you are about to pay extra money for main cabin extra avoid the first rows which is row 8. I'm not sure about 8D, 8E, 8F but I assume it's the same. Also the tray tables are considerably smaller because they are stowed in the arm rest. But they are kind of cool to an airline enthusiast like myself because it feels like a first class seat. We did not have to pay for Main Cabin Extra because my family had Gold member free Main Cabin Extra, so for us it didn't matter, but if you have to pay for MCE I would sit any row behind 8. All in all great flight, and I love American, they will always be my #1 airline to fly and I would still recommend flying them, just not in row 8 MCE.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by M Brownstone    (USA)

My recent trip with American Airlines has made me become a United loyalist. I have sworn to myself to never fly American again. The horror started at the check-in at JFK. You'd think if there was a merger between American and US Airways, that passengers could check in anywhere. No, the quite literally 60 open and manned desks were for US Airways passengers only, while the AA passengers had to get in line somewhere off to the side where there were two people working. On the plane, a stewardess was sitting on the jump seat in the exit row and could not stop talking to a passenger in a very loud voice. Returning from LA, the check-in procedure was hands down the most inefficient system I've seen in my life. Once boarded, we had a plane from I don't know when, but practically no one's baggage fit in the overhead compartment, everyone had to check their bags, and the whole thing delayed us by about thirty minutes. The stewardess must have elbowed me in the head at least a dozen times and woke me up once to ask if I'd like to drink something. No, thank, I was fine just sleeping. Never flying American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by Guy Senior    (UK)

Dallas to London in Business. The new AA cabin looks very good - spacious flat bed seats, lots of storage and a big screen. However, it was let down by slow service, food that was simply not up to standard and the IFE froze and was not reset. AA has got the basics right but needs to work on the details.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by C Dunlop    (Australia)

Several flights over the last month, LA to Santa Fe, Sioux a City Chicago Denver, Las Vegas Lax Honolulu. All flights on time had preferred seating on all flights where available and could notice difference. Crew reasonably friendly although best crew LAX-HNL. Negative definitely good for purchase LAX-HNL, Cheese and fruit not worth the money, Turkey and & Chutney sandwich bread very dry and stale. Again not worth the money. American take a lesson from many International airlines and what they offer Economy passengers in a 5 hour sector. Would still recommend as a US Domestic carrier.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by A Hansen-Weil    (USA)

If you have to fly with someone, don't fly with AA. They made me check in my carry on luggage and were unable to open the undercarriage door making me miss my connector flight to Atlanta. I had to stay overnight in Chicago due to their failure. I asked two different employees for a Supervisor and both of them told me there wasn't one. I had to go to a different airline and they got me an AA supervisor. The own AA employees outright lied to me about a supervisor. They scheduled me on a 6am flight the next morning and yet again they had issues. They had defuelling issues on the plane and everyone had to deboard. They are now trying to get us on a different plane. Do not fly with this company unless you want to pay a lot of money for a ticket to arrive a day later and potentially lose your luggage. Worst airline I've ever used so far.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by S Benedict    (USA)

Mediocre service. Just flew from John Wayne to DFW and the flight was freezing. I asked for a blanket and was told they don't have any, only to see unopened blankets on every seat in first class. I guess only first class passengers are worthy of being comfort. That really irritated me after freezing for two hours to see that they could have very easily provided a blanket. Really poor customer service. To actually say they don't have blankets when they do and you then see them.

American Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by A Storey    (USA)

GRU-DFW in new 773. What a great and enjoyable flight. New plane, comfortable seats, excellent food, huge movie selection and a wonderful crew. If this is the "new" American, they have got it right!

American Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Joseph Cammarata    (USA)

NYC/JFK to BUE/EZE. Flights AA953/09Apr and AA954/14Apr. Both flights departed on time and both arrived early operated with B777-200 equipment. Check in procedures at both airports efficient and quick with smiles. Seat width adequate, seat pitch could use an additional inch but seat cushion comfort rock hard and unacceptable! I saw nothing international about their heralded international flagship service. The dinners served in both directions were big on flavor/taste but small in serving size. The salad ex/NYC had seen better days but the salad ex/BUE was crisp, excellent and fresh. Dessert ex/NYC was a tasty pre-packaged chocolate brownie but only a 'Bon o Bon' ex/BUE. What was referred to as breakfast on both flights was a warm croissant with butter and jam served with OJ and a fruit yoghurt ex/NYC and OJ a very fresh fruit salad ex/BUE. The catering ex/BUE was of a much higher calibre/quality than that out of NYC/JFK. On both flights the inflight cabin crews were efficiently friendly and served with smiles. Where AA really excelled was how they treated me as a WCHC wheelchair passenger. Everyone I came in contact with in both cities and inflight, both AA staff and their handling agents treated me with care, dignity and respect! Would have NO problem recommending AA to others for their air travel.

American Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Alan Slomowitz    (France)

Nothing wrong with the service or the food, but on some routes such as Barcelona to New York, the planes are old and do not have individual entertainment systems. This means you have to watch whatever film is being shown on the overhead monitors, making for a very long trip. There is a huge amount of competition out there, so unless AA/US Air get new planes, I will not be flying with them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by David A Worcester    (UK)

Day trip from LGA to ORD, First class. Never flown with AA before but was impressed. Lounges not as good as BA's but cabin crew delivered excellent service both ways. Outbound lunch was tasty, chicken salad and cookies and dinner on the return was a tasty pasta dish with a dessert. Brandy and chocolates rounded it off very well.

American Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Julian Beinart    (USA)

JFK-MIA-BOG round trip early-April 2014 in economy. American Airlines staff are consistently rude and grumpy. I am constantly surprised when once in a while there is a ground staff or cabin crew member who are actually polite and helpful.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2014 by Phillip Duncan    (UK)

American Airlines gave away our 3 first class seats on Flight 53 from MIA to DFW on Sunday, April 13 despite the fact that we were at the gate 17 minutes before flight time. The agent had already left the with the standby passengers. This caused us to miss our connecting flight to AMA and to have to overnight at DFW. Also, one of our party had to fly coach even though we purchased a first class seat. I used to worry that with the merger AA 's customer service would sink to U.S. Airs level. Now I'm afraid the "new American Airlines" will sink to an even lower level. They sent our luggage on to our final destination. I have lifetime Platinum status on AA for having flown over 2.2 million miles with them.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by P Marwick    (UK)

Flew LHR to Miami on a 777 in the new business class. Seating very comfortable. It was a daytime flight so I can't comment on the seat for an overnight flight. Great service. Food very acceptable. IFE excellent. Lounge at LHR is adequate, nothing more. Immigration officer at MIA was the rudest man I've come across in a long time, but that's not AA's fault. Their pre-landing video suggests that the immigration staff are there to help - not!

American Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Danielle Nelson    (USA)

I just took a trip 2 weeks ago. Flew from Chicago to Dallas, Dallas to El Salvador. We landed in Dallas with 27 minutes until our next flight was leaving, so we ran through the airport, made my flight and thought there is was no way our luggage made it! We were so excited when we arrived in El Salvador to find that all of our bags made it.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Harrison Lu    (USA)

13 April 2014. AA1119 from Boston to Chicago ORD. AA1159 from Chicago to St Louis. There was a major delay due to the weather. So I checked with the crew at gate B30 before I board in Boston. She said AA1159 would also be delayed, so it's ok. While I was checking my flight connection, the other crew used the microphone and told everyone, "If you are woried about your connection, don't be." When we landed in Chicago, I checked the gate for AA1159 via my phone, status "In Flight". The gate was H11B so I went to the crew at H11A see what can they do for me. Since there were no more flights to St Louis, they can only schedule me for the first flight the next morning. I asked where I could stay for the night, told me I could stay at the gate or she could offer me a hotel for reduce rate. I decided to stay at the gate.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by L Tam    (USA)

Flight from LA to JAX via Miami was uneventful. Flight from JAX to Dallas was a total different story! Our flight left Florida at 7.20 am. After an hour in the air, the captain announced we had to land urgently in Birmingham, Alabama. Around 10 am, they told us the mechanic was on the way and would take one more hour! By noon, they announced there would be a plane coming from Dallas and should be in Birmingham by noon. We would be on our way and arrive at Dallas by 2.30 pm. I called an agent and was told there was only flight available leaving Dallas at 8.30 pm and arriving at LAX at 10.40 pm. We continued to wait and wondered what happened to the plane. The plane arrived in Birmingham at 3.00 pm. We were boarded by 3.20 pm. We were not moving for another two hours. Finally arrived to Dallas after 7 pm. Most of us had missed connecting flights and were told there would be an agent waiting for us at the gate to rebook our flights. There was no one waiting at the gate. I finally got on the next flight out of Dallas and felt lucky to be able to get on the 8.10 flight to arrive in LA at 9.40 pm. Arrived at LAX at 9.30 pm and told there was no gate available for another 20-30 min. We waited on the plane for 1 hr 40 min. I probably will not fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by R David    (USA)

4/13/14. Flew from Rochester NY to Chicago. Plane was 45 minutes late due to weather, taxiing from far reaches of O'Hare, then no crew at taxiway. Missed our connection to Seattle. All flights overbooked so could not get on via standby, had to stay overnight and pay for a hotel. Told our first class tickets through Travelocity were really Economy with instant upgrade, we ultimately went coach 20 or so hours late. Never again. They did give us two $300 vouchers good for future travel within a year.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by Y Wilson    (UK)

We flew Heathrow to Puerto Rico, 2 adults and 3 children under 12. When we tried to check-in online there were only 5 paid seats together - the others were scattered around the plane. Clearly we couldn't sit the 3 children on their own so we contacted AA and were told we'd have to pay the extra (220) and book the paid seats, which we did very reluctantly. When we checked in at the desk, however, we were told we couldn't have the seats we'd booked and were given 5 others which were a 2 and a 3. During the second leg of the trip we were given exit seats which were not allowed for children as we were told they would be 'a good bargaining tool' for swaps. On the return we couldn't sit at all near each other: 3 of us sat on the very back row and 2 at the front of the plane. However, AA used BA as a carrier for the final leg - they had automatically allocated five seats together because we were travelling with children and allowed us onto the plane first - a completely different attitude from AA. I agree with former reviews - the seatbelt signs hardly went off on the AA flights which is unacceptable on long-haul. I have claimed a refund for the booked seats which we didn't get - am waiting to see if I'll actually get the money back.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by A Gaskin    (USA)

When we used to be able to fly through Chicago O'hare AA wasn't as bad. The last 12 times we've gone through DFW the plane sits on the runway after arrival for 30 minutes every time. This makes even an average time between connections tight. Then we get to our gate and the gate has changed while we're on the skytrain. And too often the flight is cancelled for no known reason. AA changes my seat unbeknown to me until check in which irks me. I do not care for the new 737s. All seats are 3+3 so there are no good rows and already tray tables are broken, lights don't work and I don't think they fix them often. My husband is a 'top' platinum so he doesn't have some of the problems I do but he's not pleased anymore either.

American Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by D Jones    (Middle East)

Have lived outside the US for 20+ years. Have flown many long haul flights to European hubs and then on to different cities in the US. We usually fly on British Airways (great airline) or KLM or Delta. For the first time, was forced (because of a change in flight schedules) to fly on American Airlines from DFW to London (Heathrow) yesterday. So many things wrong: seatbelt sign on for most of the flight despite only occasional mild turbulence. Not acceptable on a 9 hour flight. The flight attendants were not friendly or service oriented. They mostly communicated with each other and acted annoyed when interacting with passengers. or they just sat in the galley. On this long flight, a request for another small bottle of water (in business class) was denied: "Only one per customer". They did not come around even once during the night to offer drinks. Unless there is no other choice, avoid long-haul trips on this airline. The ground staff were a little better, still not customer oriented.

American Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by E Moya    (USA)

My husband and I have been trying to get home since 4/6/2014, we were booked on a flight at 4.10, after a one hour delay they cancelled it. We couldn't get booked on another flight so we had to stay over. They booked us on flight #2575 at 9.25 then overnight somehow we got cancelled even though we had recheck boarding passes. We were re- booked for a noon flight #2419. Then after being directed to 2 different gates and waiting in the airport for over 12 hours today 4/7/2014 our flights to Albuquerque were canceled. We were sent to 5 different gates during the 12 hours. 3 cancellations in 24 hours it's unacceptable customer service. We still don't know if we're actually going to have a plane at 8.20, flight #1285.