American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Jose Montoya    (USA)

DFW-BOG on A319: Feb 7th. This aircraft should not fly internationally. Not on a 5-hour route, anyway. First class is a complete joke with only 2 rows. The bulkhead is extraordinarily uncomfortable and the last and second row simply horrible as seat cannot recline because it is placed physically against the partition between first and coach cabins. Entertainment? Lots of options If the controls work (I was in two seats and none worked properly). All these in addition to an over two-hours delay (excused by the nasty weather in the USA the last couple of weeks). What did not have an excuse, at all, was the extremely dirty plane (bathroom was not even flushed when first passengers boarded). AA flights to Colombia have shown substandard service and equipment for the longest. I hope all the positive changes in AA's culture that have started being evident after the merger with USAirways, also benefit USA-Colombia travelers. In the meantime, my personal advice to AA's Bogota-bound travelers: do not pay Business or First. AA is generally a good value in the back of the plane but not worth pay premium cabin for a substandard product and service into Bogota. I recommend AA anywhere but Colombia-bound routes.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2014 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

BOS-DFW-MEX and return MEX-MIA-BOS. 1/21/14 - 2/1/14. AA Platinum Desk gracefully accommodated our request for a departure a day before scheduled because of impending snow storm on 1/22. All flights on time or ahead, upgraded using 500 miles awards on two of the legs. Service in first was prompt and cheerful. Food was fine-just the right menu for the time of day. Boarding well organized. Equipment well-maintained. All in all a very pleasant experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 February 2014 by J Bacallado    (Spain)

We took our first American flight in 15 years to see if they improved and boy were we wrong. We took a 45 minute MAD-PUJ, via MIA, and return. All flights on time, check in fast and easy. Priority boarding. On board very old planes on all sectors, very nice flight crew. Their Business Class still have the inclined lay flat seats, can feel a little uncomfortable for a night flight. But for other positions is OK. Food better than usual, and nice selection of wines and drinks. For the first time, connections at MIA went smooth and fast.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by K Miller    (USA)

We took our first American flight in 15 years to see if they improved and boy were we wrong. We took a 45 minute flight from Beaumont TX to Dallas TX. We were coming back the next morning the same time. The time for our check- in came and passed as we did not get the normal check-in email. When we checked our status they had canceled our flight. They did not even notify us to this. Then as we were waiting on the phone for Customer service we drove all the way to the airport. They sent us to Dallas fully aware that we were not going to get back home. They placed us on another flight 5 hours later than the original flight. Then I looked online to see what was going on. They weather was around 32 degrees. 281 flights had been cancelled in Dallas. At the time I looked 211 of those 281 were American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by M Hudson    (Australia)

Flew Las Vegas - JFK, 28 Jan 2014. If it wasn't for our crew the flight would've been miserable, all the crew smiled from boarding to landing I was expecting the opposite the Flight attendant looking after us in the front was excellent he was always in the cabin offering drinks and so on only complaint is the seats and IFE after coming off a Virgin America first class flight they are way beyond AA's seats. The food was below par way below par that I couldn't eat it where as I could eat almost anything.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 January 2014 by P Yeung    (Hong Kong)

LAX-NRT, Economy cabin, B777-200. Have to say, one of my worst experiences in a very long time. Were told before boarding the IFE was broken so expect no TV for the next 12 hrs. Boarded an old plane with dirty cabins. Blanket and candy wrappers in my/ my wife's seat pockets. To my right on the other side of the aisle there was a lady with an empty seat next to her. She wanted to fold up the armrest so she could sleep across but the armrest would not stay up, which was later solved by flight attendants using masking tape. My reading light was broken. American Airlines truly lived up to what US airlines are famous for - grumpy flight attendants, shouting at foreign passengers who merely wanted to find out more about the food they were being served. And while on food, absolutely horrible, and I am sure anyone on that flight would have described it as such. Same chicken and rice dish for both meals but called different names. Same sauce, same meat, but one with carrots and onions. Not asking for Michelin- starred gourmet meals but this was just miles apart from coach class catering at other airlines I have flown with for example Cathay or Japan Airlines. If they can do it why can't American. Flight attendants delivering service chewing gum. Signs they were getting a tad too relaxed about their work environment. I am a frequent traveller and do not often (in fact my first time) post reviews but I really think flight deserves American's attention.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Lee Moon    (UK)

LAX to LHR, AA 136, 27th Jan. New AA Business Class. Lounge very relaxing and bar served a variety of drinks. Nibbles were ok and more substantial food was available for a fee. Once on board, this is the new lie flat AA product and feels more like a first class seat than business. Flight staff were very attentive and the service on the 9 hour overnight flight was great. Amazing food, great entertainment on a large screen and the seat is great for working, and sleeping too. A decent pillow and fleece blanket are provided. THe walk up bar with snacks during the flight was great as were the massive toilets in which you can change into more comfy wear for sleeping, pj's are not provided. Bose headphones made for cinema sound and the amenity kit was of a good quality too. Food servings, being on an American carrier, are generous. All in all, an excellent product and this does give Emirates and Etihad a run for their money as one of the best in the sky - well worth a try.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Pierre Longpré    (Quebec)

Originally, meant to flu YUL-LGA/JFK-CDG on Dec 24th 2013 and CDG-JFK-YUL on Jan 5th 2014 but a lot of changes occurred! Our JFK-CDG was cancelled due to weather in Paris. Flight from YUL-LGA was finally cancelled at the gate, they rescheduled us on Air Canada to BOS (CRJ50), then British Airways to LHR. AA agents were ok and all speck fluent French. On the BOS-LHR flight (B747-400), they put us in premium economy, seating was good, but meal disgusting. Arrived at LHR around 4.50am, we had our CDG flight scheduled at 3pm, but British Airways found places for us on an earlier flight (A320). Our return wasn't cancelled, as we entered the plane, a B757-200 wifi- equipped, we and 10 other passengers were told to go back to the gate. Given vouchers, 800USD each, Hyatt hotel and complimentary meals. The next morning, staff helped us find the best flight. CDG-MIA-YUL. The 10 hours long CDG-MIA flight was on an outdated B767-300 but was really clean. Food was better than BA but still not as AF or Egyptair. No individual TV of course, but good seat. I was able to sleep. The rest of the trip, MIA-YUL was on an B737-800. Normal flight, free beverages and everything else we needed to pay for. Great staff. I would fly them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by C Thomas    (UK)

AA47, LHR-ORD in Business - maybe 70% full on Saturday lunchtime. 777-200 with 2-3-2 business class. Attentive crew, a mixture of experienced and new, who showed a real pride in the service they offered. Good, concise communication from the flight deck. Food OK, wine reasonable (although does show cost cutting vs 4 years ago when I last flew this route). Cabin showing a little wear and tear but generally OK and serviceable. IFE showing its age, but again, perfectly OK for an 8 hour stretch. Half the price of BA (although BA were in gouging mode because the flight was booked within 2 weeks of departure). On time departure, 10 minutes early arrival. A decent product when delivered by a crew who care, as was the case this time.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by P Billez    (Brazil)

Have flown AA F GRU-MIA-GRU several times. It is true that AA has pyjamas in First and better linen but still: cabin is always a bit dirty, food is pathetic for first class with $8 wines and cheap whisky. Service has improved a bit, they try but far from being a real F experience. On arrival, especially at GRU, priority tags are just part of your luggage decor: I have lost count of how many times I had to wait much more than coach passengers for my bags. The TAM product is far better and as they join Oneworld soon, goodbye AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by R Banerjee    (USA)

JFK to Heathrow. The flight was needlessly delayed by 3hrs at first not because of any weather or anything, but just because it was not "ready" yet, and then, after we were boarded, it was again delayed by 2 hrs. After we landed in Heathrow, people who missed flights were not given any sort of lodging, etc. This is totally unexpected from an international airline which is considered first rate. I write this comment to let people know what they can expect if they plan on a long flight with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Gore Joe    (UK)

LHR-ORD, AA 91, 14th January - a good comfortable flight, and the food was reasonable. Excellent flight attendants, very friendly and helpful. DFW-LHR, AA78 - Business - 20th January. Although the business cabin was full, the seat was very comfortable, and the service impeccable. Very friendly FA's. This was my 3rd multi sector trip from London with AA, and every time I have found the whole experience to far exceed my expectations.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by A Tovar    (USA)

Traveled from Barcelona to NY, flight # 67 and paid $89 for what we believed were extra legroom seats. Seats were cramped, boarded last, no space in any nearby bins for hand luggage, plane was ancient, didn't even have individual air controls. AA states we booked 'preferred seats' which merely allowed us to choose our seats, for $89!

American Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Alexander Schober    (UAE)

I have flown MIA-JFK on an old B767-300. Flight was full. Seat very old, but comfortable and pitch was ok. Entertainment only through overhead screens. I was shocked that this aircraft had the new hatrack design only for premium cabins, Economy cabin still had the 90's hatrack design, which a) looks very old and b) does not have enough room for everyone. Only non-alcoholic drink service for this 2hr flight. Staff very unprofessional. There seems to be an inconsistency in their uniform. One female flight attendant was wearing - what seemed to be her personal apron that featured dozens of US flags next to each other. After landing in JFK we had to hold at a remote stand before our gate was available. As usual, passengesr were standing up and retrieving their bags from the overhead bins, despite the captain making an announcement to remain seated. No flight attendant took any action, only a Captain in American Airlines uniform travelling as a passenger made assertive requests for everyone to remain seated, to which everyone then complied. Also saw a male flight attendant making a call on his mobile phone during taxiing to the gate. Very unprofessional!

American Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2014 by Maria Gritsch    (USA)

Ghastly flight in First Class on AA, from PVG to LAX. The flight attendants were very nice. The seat was horrible. Uncomfortable. Had really poor leather padding, a very weird need to press a latch under the arm of the seat first in order to operate seat controls. When in the bed/sleep position, the seat had a bulging ridge in the middle hinge that made it impossible to lie on. There was no privacy because the seats had no enclosures or partial walls, just wide open so that all the lights, noise, smells of the cabin were omnipresent. Bad lighting, tiny hard to move video screen, dirty floor, cheap, broken plastic laminate console patched poorly with silicon putty, etc. It was like a really bad business class. Actually, I've flown several times in AA's sub marginal business class and as bad as they are, the seat padding is actually superior to the first class seats. Guess anyone who tolerates this service has never flown Cathay Pacific. Their biz class is outstanding. Every seat with an aisle, seats constructed to provide lots of privacy, good lighting, headphones, mirror, private cabinet, lots of room, really comfortable lie flat seat. I used 67.5 thousand miles for my lousy AA flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  22 January 2014 by T Smith    (USA)

American Airlines flight 940 on January 3 2014 in Economy from Santiago, Chile to Miami. No personal TV like most foreign airlines, no headphones available (only for sale), wine and beer for sale only, only one choice of meal, flight attendants who don't look presentable, no free copy of the Wall Street Journal or local business newspaper, no after dinner spirits, no ear plugs and eye shades and the seat pocket in front had trash from the previous passenger. The aircraft must have been one of the oldest I've flown in years. I will continue avoiding AA as much as I can.