American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Julian Revington    (UK)

MAN-JFK. Used Oneworld (BA) reward miles. I had the lowest expectations having flown AA many times in the past both business and pleasure, although not for some years. Check-in and security were the usual Manchester Airport slick and fast, why can't Heathrow learn from them? On boarding we were met by a smiling and effusive purser who was greeting every passenger. Don't know if my BA Gold Card had anything to do with it but we were seated just behind Business in extra leg room seats. Yes the plane was an antique and had no seat back entertainment, which almost beggars believe, but it was clean and all seats and trays appeared to work, for AA, an achievement! We departed on time and arrived on time. We were served the preposterously named "International Flagship" lunch, which was actually not bad for economy. Apart from the excellent purser the cabin crew went through the motions, but were not rude or bad tempered, which is a major improvement. US immigration was fast and the staff actually smiled. AA cabin crew and US immigration staff smiling, what is the world coming to? Overall, we were pleasantly surprised and would use again for the benefit of flying direct.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Bielli David    (USA)

LAX-LHR return in Biz. AA put their new 777-300ER on this route and I have to say that they are nearly on the top of the market with this product. Lounge at LAX - not so great, I am EP, the highest, but have to admit the lounge is lacking lots of food options. There were nearly none except few sandwiches. Compared to BA First class in Terminal 3, which is not their best, the AA just does not stack up. The aircraft itself is great. Biz has walk-up bar, which if the flight attendants are not too lazy has constant food. And this is where it becomes tricky. Flight attendants on AA are hit and miss. I flew them 5 times in the past few months. The same route. Sometimes you get great serving people, who really care and would do anything for you, and then you get a lady, like I did who when I walked up to the bar in the middle of the flight and asked for a glass of water - since there was none anywhere had to close her game on her iPad, annoyingly lifted her eyes and proceeded to look. When she found the bottle, she slammed it on the bar and said " You will be able to pour it yourself - I hope". Seat itself is great. I recommend row 5, window - it has an extra space to store your stuff. Plenty of room to stock things up. Food - really great for biz class, they elevated their game with wines as well. I can't fault them for anything in terms of hard product. The choices of movies - great. I am comparing to my recent trip on BA, which had about 1/3 of movies. That really surprised me. All in all, AA is trying, but it has to do it faster, better and more efficiently.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by John Williams    (USA)

From reading the list of reviews, I don't understand why anyone would fly with American Airlines, I, however, am military and am forced to fly what is given to me. Today, 21 Feb14, flying on orders from San Antonio to Fort Walton Beach, I was forced to pay to have my baggage checked for the first time in 8 years. I fly often and usually have 1 to 2 bags that weigh from 60 to 100lbs and have never been asked to pay. AA seems to have different requirement on baggage weights from state to state. I had no problem with baggage fees leaving Fort Walton but was charged 125 dollars on my return flight departing San Antonio.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by M Guillon    (UK)

March 2014, AA 39, London Heathrow to Miami. AA2438, Miami to San Jose. 16th April 2014, AA 353, San Jose to Miami. AA38, Miami to London Heathrow. Haven't even travelled with AA yet but already we are thoroughly disillusioned. Have travelled business class with many different airlines over the decades, and never experienced such disregard. For personal reasons we need a window seat and aisle, so the moment we book a flight we go online and book our seats. These are always, without fail, honoured. But American Airlines have already thrown us out of our pre-books seats 3 times, relocating us in inappropriate seats and separated! Each time we have re-books seats, but today find they have moved us again and suddenly all other seats are full! We phoned only to be told that they were not prepared to move other passengers despite them being single travellers even though they had moved us three times without reference to our wishes. We are no longer looking forward to our journey and will be avoiding AA in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Ian Lancaster    (UK)

Flight 2048, MIA to JFK, Feb 15th, in Coach extra. JFK was recovering from a snow-storm, but that doesn't forgive the appalling service delivered by AA to passengers stuck for 8 hours on what should be a 3-hour flight. 1 hour late departure, ATC orders, no blame. 45 minutes holding pattern somewhere off the coast around DC, a further delay. Running out of fuel, so we have to land in Philadelphia. Quick refuel and push-back, only to stop halfway through because the tow-bar has broken. Then return to the gate for one passenger to deplane, no explanation, but efficiently and quickly done. Land at JFK at 10.45 pm. No gate, held on taxiway, get assigned gate but access blocked by de-icing an outbound plane, assigned another gate so taxi a couple of hundred yards then stop. Eventually move to gate but another 15-minute delay. Eventually get to the gate and disembark at 12.30 am. Wait for baggage is interminable, and at first there is no information as to which carousel it's coming on. I get mine at about 1.50 am, and that's marked Priority. In 8 hours on the plane, there was one drinks service, no additional refreshment except for a hand-out of an oat bar. Inadequate communication from the flight deck as to what was happening once we'd landed at JFK. Appalling behaviour and lack of customer care.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by P Hopper    (Ireland)

Business Class from Dublin to JFK. Not a great service at all. When we got on the plane the pre-flight drinks were sitting on the table of one of the business class seats. Everything rushed. Hostesses do just the bare minimum required. Earphones faulty. Had them changed and the new ones didn't work. Turns out the socket for the earphones in my seat was broken. So, no inflight entertainment for me for the whole flight, unless I was prepared for visuals only. Then got a cup of coffee in a filthy cup. Admirals Lounge in JFK is a joke. Pretzels, cheese, carrots, apples, some juice and coffee. That's it. You have to pay for anything else at airport prices. Then they looked for $10.50 for a glass of wine. I thought the girl behind the bar was joking. She wasn't. She reluctantly told me that one wine was complimentary and she begrudgingly served it. How can they justify charging Business prices and provide such a sub-standard product? Will never fly with them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Mary Ann Yarian    (USA)

We traveled Jan 15 - Feb. 14. Our plane was delayed for an hour in LA and another 45 minutes in Chicago. There were only a few snacks available on our flight, the TV didn't work properly and when we got home to Flint, MI our luggage wasn't there and there was no reason for this because we had to wait for an hour on the tarmac before taking off.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 February 2014 by H Wilson    (USA)

Would not recommend flying American. Yesterday morning I called their customer service/flight status line and requested the status of my flight from Cleveland to Charlotte. The automated system told me it was on time and, after I selected the option, even texted me a copy of the status stating the same thing. I drove to the airport, paid to park, went to the counter to check my bag and the counter clerk, who was quite rude and non-empathetic, said your flight was cancelled yesterday. Meanwhile I receive a call from my wife who says she received a call at home stating my connecting flight out of Charlotte had been delayed, but the counter clerk had already told me that flight was cancelled too. No call was ever made to tell me either flight had been canceled. I am sure they would like to blame this on the merger, or maybe even the severe weather and quantity of flight cancellations, but that is nonsense.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by M Dorton    (USA)

Flew 2/9/2014 from St. Martin to IAH, changing in Miami. We were in the first part ("extra legroom" section) of the Main Cabin. On the first leg, AA was sold out of Meals for Purchase by Row 11. (Dozens of rows behind - no food, upset travelers). During the 3 hour calm flight, attendants came down the row once to offer a beverage. Zero customer service. Extremely unpleasant crew. During the Miami layover had to retrieve luggage due to Customs. Plane landed at 6.42pm. Got our luggage at 8.05pm! Others still waiting after us. Baggage Claim personnel gave zero customer service. On the second leg into IAH, attendants told everyone that someone forgot to put any liquor/beer on the flight. And, again, attendants came down the aisle once during the 2.5hr flight to offer a beverage (juice, water, soda only). Zero customer service. AA has a long ways to go in the Customer Service department.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by Laina Shuey    (USA)

2/9/14, LAX to Chicago. I am extremely disappointed with American Airlines customer service. Staff were unfriendly and rude during the boarding and ticketing process. During the check-in process I received a message that I had not chosen a seat and was asked to pay an additional $68 for an upgraded seat. From the mobile phone, the check-in process could not be completed until this upgrade was purchased. At the airport, during the self check-in, it was clear a seat had been chosen, and no upgrade was needed at that time. Why are the two systems not compatible with each other? During boarding they allowed all passengers to board who did not have roller bags. This then resulted in less space for these roller bags during the boarding process. Flight attendant's allowed customers to place small bags and coats in the overhead compartments. When it came time to board the roller bags, there was not enough room for these bags. This could have been avoided had the staff asked these other customers to please remove smaller items and place under the seat. Instead, they were then rude to those with roller bags who did not have enough space, accusing them of delaying the flight further. This seems like a rather inefficient process, and one that should be reviewed to provide better customer service to those flying on American.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Charlie Lohmann    (USA)

Traveled DFW-NRT over Christmas break in 2012. Old 777-200, but the cabin was maintained pretty well and clean. Boarded last because of a late connection, whisked into an almost empty first class. Food service was quick and good, the steak I ordered was surprisingly good. An old flight attendant turned out to be a very funny and nice man who did everything to make the flight better, and knew when to leave me alone (sleeping). Personal TV screen was not of the highest quality, but personal none the less and thus enjoyable. Lay flat seat worked just fine, and the ability to swivel and work on a desk was a plus. Calm flight except for circling for 30 mins before landing at Narita.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Cora Martin    (USA)

ORD to IAH. Check in was a bit of a hassle since the American Airlines staff directed us to a machine kiosk that was malfunctioning. After that hurdle was crossed, a slew of others slowly came our way. Our original flight to IAH Houston was scheduled for 3.15pm, at 2.55pm (local time) and arriving at 5.55pm, the gate attendant told us that the flight had been delayed for an unspecified amount of time. We soon learned that the gate had been changed, no announcement by telecom, only by looking at the airport television screens did we figure this out. The new departure time was 3:34pm, but that didn't happen either so the staff delayed the flight again to 4.04pm. As 4.15pm approached everyone was finally seated on this haggard and small CR7 jet. As we were about to leave the gate, the pilot said there needed to be some maintenance and that it would take "5 minutes" to complete. 5 minutes passed and then 10 and then 20. By this time it was 4.25pm, and we had yet to leave the gate. At 4.45pm we began taxing onto the runway when another problem arose. There apparently was an electrical failure and maintenance needed to be done once again. Back to the gate we go and by now its 5.10pm. Maintenance fixed the problem and off we go! We finally take off at 5.45pm.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by J Webb    (USA)

Booked a flight for wife, stepdaughter and grandson to visit me in San Francisco from Indianapolis. (IND to SFO). The first leg to Dallas was delayed. They spent 4 hours waiting in Indy to catch a flight to Chicago. Flight from Chicago to San Francisco was delayed. What normally takes me 6 hours with Delta has now taken them 15 hours. When I had long delays with Delta they rebooked on another carrier for direct flights. AA = Anguishing Anxiety.