American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  19 May 2014 by A Chaffin    (USA)

When we arrived at the airport all of the other airlines had fairly short check-in queues, American Airlines filled up their queue and had a line going 30 yards down the hallway. It seemed that their computers must have shut down because the line wasn't moving. It took us two hours to get checked-in and check our bags. We would have been late for our flight but it was delayed anyway. The delay was over an hour and once we did get on the flight the seats were the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced. Our delayed flight caused us to only have 30 minutes to catch our connecting flight- which ended up leaving 10 minutes early (I am not making this up)- meaning we missed it. They issued us tickets for the next flight, 3 hours later. We had confirmed seats on the ticket and everything but when we went to board the plane our tickets got flagged as invalid and we were told by the attendant that we were actually in standby- the plane ended up being full and we were not allowed on. So at this point my wife (7 months pregnant) is about to lose it and they tell us we can possibly fly out at 9 PM that evening. We do make that flight and arrive at our destination at midnight, missing our evening plans and exhausting us. Again, the flight itself was awful. I had taken 4 advil at this point and still had back pain. Never again American Airlines, never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by C Gentry    (USA)

Connecting flight from Dallas to Knoxville cancelled for "maintenance". Customer Service agents were clueless and basically no help and really not concerned that the flight was cancelled. Stayed in airport for 5 hours attempting to get on another flight via standby with no luck. Once it was determined I was stuck in Dallas they provided vouchers for a place to stay (can't call it a hotel) and $19 worth of food with the next flight out the next day. After waiting for the shuttle for an hour, we finally were on our way for a good nights rest, or so we thought. Once we arrived, it was obvious this was a pay by the hour motel called "The Night Hotel". Wow, This place was basically a brothel built around a night club. The next morning we were waiting on our 5 AM cab ride to the airport and 4 prostitutes came walking through the door. Bottom line, I can't believe American Airlines had the audacity to do what they did.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by E Bergeron    (Canada)

Cancun-Dallas, Had a connecting flight from Dallas to Toronto which was delayed for several hours, then ultimately cancelled due to "a missing captain". We had to re-book with an extremely rude and unsympathetic Customer Service Agent who told us that the next available flight was 10 am the next morning. We were traveling for a total of 36 hours. We were offered no compensation for the cancellation, no apologies, no Hotel or Meal vouchers. We had to sleep at the airport on a chair. Needless to say we will no longer ever use American Airlines to fly.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 May 2014 by D Leston    (UK)

LHR-MIA-LIM-MIA in economy. I expected a poor experience and with the exception of the first leg in the 777-300, they lived up to expectations. Old aircraft with technical issues on both MIA-LIM and LIM-MIA, leading to delays in both directions, inedible food, unfriendly and unsmiling flight attendants, dirty interiors, cramped seating and no attempt to be of any help. Ate nothing as my vegetarian food requests had been overlooked/ignored (despite it being on my ticket), no apology or attempt to offer an alternative. Overall a very poor partner to BA. The score of 3 is awarded because of the LHR-MIA part of the journey only.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 May 2014 by J Carpenter    (USA)

American Airlines needs to work on their sensitivity to breast feeding mom's. They insisted I check my carry on suitcase b/c I was carrying a breast pump. Even when I consolidated my bags to 2 items they would not let me board without checking my bags. Nice!! Oh to be a professional man and not have to worry about airlines trying to put obstacles in the way of feeding your baby, even when you travel for work.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 May 2014 by Kathleen Donaldson    (USA)

Toledo, OH to Denver, CO via one stop in Chicago (O'Hare) Trip to Denver had one delay of 3 hours at Chicago. May 7, 2014 no reason given. Coming back snow storm in Denver delayed the plane takeoff by 1 hour not so bad. However, when I got to Chicago the nightmare began. First flight to Toledo was delayed then cancelled. Reason who knows no 2nd pilot was the reason given. Got another flight time. Rain storm came. Two more flights delayed, moved to different gate, delayed then cancelled. What to do? No hotels, taxi line 2 miles long. I left the boarding area so couldn't get back upstairs. Had to spend the night in a hard chair. Finally had to book a flight to Fort Wayne Indiana so I could get home. No flights to Toledo. What a nightmare experience!

American Airlines Customer review :  16 May 2014 by T Grant    (USA)

Chicago ORD to Boston. They got me to where I wanted to go, at a reasonable time, at a reasonable price. Can't blame American for the delay. I didn't expect free food or free alcohol. B737-800 was fine and so was the crew.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by Heather Hatch    (USA)

Worst customer service I have had. My flight was cancelled today due to reasons that the airline had no control over but the customer service was awful. I was at O'Hare in Chicago flying to Phoenix and departing at 11.35. I left the airport today in Chicago feeling like I got stranded with no help and to fend for myself. I have never had a cancelled flight and didn't know what to do. I followed everyone else and waited to speak to an agent in line for almost 2 hours. When it was my turn to speak to someone they closed the line down and said we needed to go to the booking desk. I had no idea where that was and tried to ask. After being ignored one of the agents snapped at me and told me they couldn't help me unless I was flying to Dallas. They wouldn't even direct me on where I needed to go. I will never fly this airline again after I finally get home tomorrow. Worst customer service I have ever had to deal with.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by Daniel Drunglehart    (USA)

Flew May 13/14 2014, ONT-DAL-DTW. This was the worst flight experience I've had. The plane in ONT was delayed 5 hours due to maintenance, causing nearly everyone to miss their connecting flight out of DAL. We had to wait in line (I waited 1.5 hours) at ONT to get on a new connecting flight out of DAL. The seats on the plane out of ONT were tiny, old, creaky and uncomfortable, and staff were disinterested and unfriendly. There was no "inflight entertainment" to speak of. The worst came, however, when we arrived at DAL. Immediately upon disembarking we were informed that "there are no hotel rooms left in Dallas". The customer service reps feebly tried to console people with Nature Valley granola bars and cheaply-made cots, but everyone was in a mostly miserable mood. I and many others ended up trying to sleep on chairs through the night. Very few people got any sleep. Terrible experience, all around. The last time I fly American.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by Anna Kujala    (Finland)

I flew from JFK to LHR with my family on 9th May. I was very pleased with the flight experience. I value a good entertainment system more which this Boeing 777 had with personal power outlet than the quality of food. There are restaurants at JFK that offer various choices. The irplane is not a restaurant. Food is a + but my values are on the seat comfort more. Seats were comfortable. Service was very efficient and fast. I also liked the dimmed cabin. Only bad thing was that the AC fan was on a quite heavy mode. Crew were mostly very friendly.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Damaris Spears    (Dominican Republic)

Traveling from Miami to Santo Domingo, arrived at the airport approximately 1.5 prior to departure. First you have to queue to help yourself at one of the self-service check in machine. After waiting for approximately 10 minutes, we go through the check in procedure, experienced some problem and had to get help from the staff member at the check in station. In the end we were unable to check in and were asked to go to the customer service counter. The staff member at the counter asks us to wait and disappears for 5 to 10 min and when he returns he advises us that we are now to late to check in luggage as it is less than an hour before departure and we are talking about 10 minutes now. He advises us that we can fly, but our luggage cannot. Only option is to take a flight the next day, pay $120 to change the flight and pay for another night in a hotel. The main issue here is the rude attitude of the staff. We can accept that there are rules to be followed, but the attitude of the staff is a disgrace. AA have never been a great airline, but this experience is by far the worst we have ever experience with any airline. We will do our very best to avoid flying AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by D Day    (UK)

LHR-DFW-XNA, AA51 transatlantic, then American Eagle. I had avoided American Airlines transatlantic for years, but thought to give the "new" American a try. Boeing 777-300ER already showing wear and tear in First Class. Cabin was dirty, and food was inedible. Also, the logic of serving lunch/dinner on an 09.30 flight utterly defeats me. Why not serve lovely breakfast? Crew was keen to get meal service over and disappear for the remainder of the flight. Flight diverted to IAH due to low fuel / weather, but almost no announcements from flight deck. On American Eagle, flight attendant was rude, and not professionally dressed; She wore a crumpled uniform, and believe it or not, Dutch-style clogs. Overall, it is so sad that there is no sophistication nor manner / culture at the "new" American Airlines. Travel on American Airlines is nowhere close to a First Class experience. This is a desperately poor airline, but there isn't much choice across the pond, sadly. Avoid this carrier if you can.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by J Van Der Merwe    (UK)

We took this airline from Raleigh to London, because we expected a similar service to BA, with which it codeshares. Unfortunately we were so wrong! There is firstly no modern inflight entertainment system for economy class and the food was dreadful. Onboard service was rushed and not very friendly and to top it all, we had one of the flight attendants talking loudly with passengers at the back, throughout the whole night. Of course that meant that, even without entertainment, there was also no sleeping for those of us unlucky enough to be in this attendant's vicinity.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by C Napier    (UK)

LHR to JFK, thinking I was traveling on British Airways flight BA1506, only found out I was flying on a codeshare flight with American Airlines AA105 when I got to the airport. Check in was efficient and friendly and the flight was uneventful except for the crew who made the whole experience feel very uncomfortable. I have never experienced cabin crew like it. Its a given that everyone has an off day once and a while, but some of the crews interactions with the passengers that I witnessed were uncalled for. Crew were short, unfriendly, disinterested and deliberately ignored some passengers. At one stage I was made to feel like a huge inconvenience when I asked for a paper towel to dry up some water I accidentally spilled. In the end I had to queue at the toilets as I was informed I was capable of getting my own towels, as the crew were busy. When we landed and were disembarking the crew thanked me for flying the New American Airlines. I don't know why BA codeshare with this airline as the service standards are at complete opposites of the scale. When I book my next flight I will make sure I know what airline I'm flying so I'm not on a code share with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by J Russ    (USA)

April 24th from MSP-DFW-SAN. No major complaints in-flight, arrived close to on time. I was concerned when I was unable to check in online, so I emailed customer service and they apologized for the issues they were having with the American/US Airways merger. It was all good, as I was able to check us in and print our boarding passes at the airport kiosk (even though the message when I tried to check in online said "see agent at airport"). All in all, a fine experience. My next flight will be on Spirit Airlines, so wish me luck.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by D Walker    (UK)

Worst airline I have flown with. American Airlines should be branded a budget airline. Flew from JFK to LHR and the experience was beyond belief. Firstly I was charged an arm and leg for excess weight off my bag. Secondly the staff on AA should get training, serious training and customer service skills. The food is almost non existent, seats are worst in class and the TV's are approx 4inch which are well scratched and used!

American Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by C Tagliareni    (USA)

I just returned from a trip from Seattle, WA to Punta Cana, DR and back. I told my husband after the first plane that I would never fly American again. It was 3 planes there and 3 back. The seats were the most tiny and uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. I am 5 ft 2 and 115 lbs so by no means am I a big person. The staff were awful. I have never met people so disinterested and rude. When leaving Punta Cana, we sat in line for 1.5 hours because there was no one there to check us in! Every other airline were getting people through. We made it to our flight in the nick of time. We got there at 4am and didn't get to the plane until 6.25 and it left at 6.50. They were almost done boarding. I do not recommend this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2014 by Marlene Miller    (USA)

From Sacramento to Dallas 4 of us booked our trip in early January. Final destination Paris, France. We tried to select seats but arrived to find our seats changed. None of us together and 1 was the very back where it was so very noisy the flight was miserable. In Dallas we switched planes (again operated by American Airlines), what was supposed to be a 2 hour layover became an 8 hour layover. The legroom was non existent and when the people in front of us tilted chairs back we could hardly move for 10 hours. miserable. I will not support American Airlines to Europe or even to Dallas. I am not sure if they have just gone downhill or what. I must commend the fellow passengers for their tolerance of such a crummy flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2014 by L Emrich    (USA)

DFW to MOB, flight AA2981 and AA3377 MOB to DFW. On our round trip flight so far 2 of the 3 aircraft's have had maintenance issues resulting in delays, missed connections, and waiting on standby. We have yet to hear a single apology.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2014 by S Symon    (France)

CDG-ORD-BWI operated on a Boeing 767-300 and an Embraer 145. I have Gold status on AA so I was able to obtain a Main Cabin Extra seat on the first flight free of charge and an exit-row seat on the second flight. The ground experience at CDG was okay and they were pretty well organized. The first flight took off on-time although we had to board by bus (something that probably irritates every passenger). Cabin crew were okay and there was no IFE which I knew to expect even though practically every other carrier has it by now. The connection at ORD was amazingly painless and security was a breeze. The Eagle flight was delayed due to a late inbound aircraft but we landed a mere 30 minutes behind schedule and my checked bag was waiting for me on the carousel just 10 minutes or so after landing. All in all, fairly satisfied.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by C Denson    (UK)

Tampa to Chicago O'Hare on 28 April. Check-in was fast but very unfriendly. Cabin crew were unfriendly and uninterested. Plane was cramped and service was almost non-existent. Only thing offered was soft-drinks. No hot drinks, snacks or food available which is pretty poor for a what's scheduled as a 3 hour flight. No entertainment on offer the flight got me from A to B but that's about it. I've had better service on Ryanair. Not a great addition to the Oneworld Alliance.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2014 by Joao De Assuncao    (Australia)

I am currently sitting at LAX airport and having the worst experience I had with an airline. I arrived in LA this morning by Qantas from Perth-Sydney and upon going through the "Express Connection" I was informed by one of the ground crew members that I would be required to take my luggage and check-in inside the terminal. When I arrived in the terminal I was sent by American Airlines employees to 3 different places to try to drop-in my baggage. When I finally arrived in the last spot (45 min prior to flight schedule time) I was informed that I wouldn't be able to check-in my bags nor take them in the cabin, despite having had checked-in on-line prior to going to the airport. She them put my wife and me in "stand-by" list for a flight 2 hours later and checked our bags-in. I was placed in second in the list at that moment (again according to the front desk lady because I am a "One World Sapphire Member" and would be put in front of other people in similar situations. In the half hour preceding the boarding time our name had escalated to 6th and 7th on the list. I tried to (very politely) speak with the lady at the boarding desk 3 times but she in each time she rudely answered "Stand-by, I will be with you in a second!" In the end she suggested that one of us should take a remaining seat and the other wait for the next flight. We decided to do that as the next flight seat wouldn't be warrant as well. Everything was dealt in a rush/unplanned manner showing AA have no control to handle such situations. Now I am here hoping to not get bumped again or get stuck in LA for the night after 16 hrs flying from Australia, then meet my wife at my destination and go to the hotel to have a rest. This was my first flight with AA and certainly the last one.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Nicola Origgi    (México)

MEX-DFW-YUL, Business Class. We were lucky enough to get a discounted fare so that Business Class was a bit cheaper than the economy class fares available. On the MEX-DFW leg plane was an old and a bit worn out MD80. Good flight with a really kind and helpful flight assistant who spoke a perfect Spanish. I don't fly AA often but I must admit that I've always found nice and smiling staff both in business and economy class. Good to know that if you have an international connection via DFW you no longer need to retrieve and recheck your baggage to your final destination. We went through immigration very fast and headed for the Admiral's Club which is really disappointing: no snacks except for cookies, only 1 alcoholic drink per person, unfriendly staff. On the bright side, wifi was good and the view on the tarmac was excellent. The DFW-YUL leg was on a newer 737 and it was an uneventful flight with a good lunch but a very poor selection of drinks. Nice staff.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by C Shiels    (UK)

I flew from San Francisco to Heathrow on April 26th and found the airline crew working in economy to be both unfriendly and unprofessional. The most senior of the crew had an abrupt manner, I noticed on more than one occasion her behaviour towards passengers who accidentally happened to get in her way in the galley area, there was no politeness shown in terms of politely asking them to move but eye rolling and heavy sighing. My pillow happened to fall into aisle without my knowledge and I was reprimanded by this senior crew member for allowing this to happen! The crew whilst serving beverages/food would not engage in any conversation or pleasantries with passengers instead they would look right through you, if you smiled at them they would not smile back, when I exited the economy area on leaving the plane a couple of the crew stood near the exit area and there was again no pleasantries or smiles, just silence. Only on leaving the plane did a friendly crew member who I believe had been working in First Class or Business Class speak to me and said 'thanks for flying with us, have a good day'. I have flown with many airlines and I have to say that my return flight home with AA was the worst experience I have ever known and because of this I will not be flying with AA again. AA show a video to their passengers before a flight which promotes the technology investments they have made in relation to improving the customer experience. I would recommend to AA that they focus more attention and investment into the training of their crew to provide a better service to their customers.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Jose Rincon    (Venezuela)

Flew MIA-BCN business class. I am a long user of AA, but always inside the US or from Venezuela to US. This is the first time I took AA to Europe, usually when going to Spain I use Iberia. I had very low expectations but must say I was impressed. This flight was on the o767, the cabin in business is the "old business class" with seats that do not lie flat, but I must say that it was comfortable enough to take a 4 hour sleep. Amenities kit nice and pretty. No private screen but a Samsung tablet was provided, not a huge a mount of options but it was more than Ok. The biggest surprise? Food was excellent and in amounts that I have never seen before in other Business class. Plenty of bubbly. Service extraordinary, FA's smiling and helpful.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by Susan Flythe    (USA)

AA flight 1612 from Phoenix to Dallas/Fort Worth was great. Plane was only 1 year old, flight servers were fantastic and funny, excellent beverage service and communication from captain to passengers polite, timely and sincere. Really liked the comfort of the plane, extra leg room soft comfortable seats and inscreen TV monitor.