American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Goel Satish    (USA)

Very bad flight experience. Though I was booked in Business Class, the seats and taking care of food preference was horrible. My in seat entertainment system was not working. Also on top of it, the control to call the attendant was not working. Even the reading light on the seat was not working, for a major portion of the flight, I could not read anything. I had in advance booked an Asian Vegetarian meal. I was informed that the meal had not been arranged. My seat was moving, I was not sure that the seat was fully in upright position at the time of take off and landing.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by R Damron    (USA)

I fly about 5-12 times a year so it's not a lot but it's not a little either. I've done international and many within the USA. I have never flown with AA but I will from now on. I usually only fly us air but I'm on a flight from CLT to Dallas/Ft. Worth and it was the most comfortable short distance flight I have taken to date. Other competitors don't even come close. (I'm comparing only to those flights within the USA and mid-size) the seats were comfortable, the staff nice and each seat has a TV in front of it. Well done for changing my mind!

American Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by I Dzhur    (USA)

IAH to LGA via Chicago O'Hare on March 6th on a redemption ticket. Both flights were on-time. Easy checking and Priority AAccess helped me to get quickly through security and to board the aircraft early. Very smooth and organize boarding, both flights arrived early. Great cabin crew, comfortable seats and generous legroom. Definitely recommend flying AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by Charles Stewart    (USA)

Can not believe they tout new planes yet can't have a consistent onboard experience. I fly 2 to 3 times a week on AA and I never know what my flight will entail. Poor options for entertainment. If you are lucky enough to have internet on a flight you may or may not have the ability to rent a movie or show, which I am happy to do. Yet I get on the new airbus which honestly is just as bad as their ancient md-80's and I can either stare at the broken monitor I was given where the sound doesn't work or like the passenger next me the screen was completely broken and would not display correctly. I get on gogo and it won't allow me to rent anything yet surf on a slow and labored internet connection. How can you not bring a consistent options to those that fly you the most?

American Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by J Park    (USA)

Flew on 2/27/14 from LGA to MIA on a US airways code share flight. Aircraft was newish Boeing 737 800. Seats were comfortable with adjustable headrest, with plenty of space between my knees and seat in front. They were comparable to United's economy plus seats. Service was friendly and professional. The aircraft had wifi which could be purchased, and the bandwidth was more than adequate for getting email and work done. All safety announcements and instructions seem to be pre recorded in a voice with a a neutral calm tone. As is the case in most US domestic, they only have beverage service but they give you the whole along with glass as oppose to UA where they only fill the ice filled plastic cup. Inflight entertainment consisted of overhead monitors with requirement to purchase headphones, however wifi availability made up for this.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by J Segal    (USA)

JFK-MAD return. Both flights on time and fine. 757 used, which meant tired, outdated and unusable IFE from drop down screens in the aisle. Be warned, if in window seat you will not be able to see the entire screen. MCE seating wonderful to provide extra leg room on these long flights. Exit row seat seemed thin, ended up sitting on my pillow for most of the flight! Crew on both legs were good, return trip, they were smiling and engaging. Something not expected often! Food acceptable, but let's be honest-nothing to travel for! Multiple drink runs welcomed.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by M Barbieri    (USA)

AA does not care about its customers or understand why getting customers to their destinations on time matters. AA Flight number 132 was cancelled, after sitting on the plane for 40 minutes due to a mechanical issue with the aircraft. The AA flight crew knowingly boarded the entire flight of passengers, even though they knew the black box/communication box to the flight deck tower was broken and required repair. Many passengers had a connecting flight out of Dallas Fort Worth airport, the destination for AA Flight 132. After 30 minutes of waiting with no information, the flight crew informed us that the plane had a mechanical issue and the repair was being made. 10 minutes later, the flight crew announced that the repair could not be made and the plane would be decommissioned. Asked to de-plane, and had to wait another 10 minutes. Finally landed in Dallas. I ran through the airport and we were able to make the second flight (not our originally scheduled flight) and we made it. Flight attendants on this flight (AA Flight number 2467) were not helpful. No crew member helped us move overhead bags to get our bags up or helped communicate to another passenger to move his jacket down or a small bag that should be under such passengers seat. We finally landed in Los Angeles. We lost the chance to get to Honolulu on Saturday, February 8 as planned and paid for. After waiting in line, we received our voucher for one night at the airport Holiday Inn in Los Angeles, and a $39.00 voucher for dinner for 3 people and an $18 voucher for breakfast on Sunday, Feb. 9, also for 3 people (in LAX!).

American Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by J Lemon    (USA)

SNA-DFW on AA mainline in first class, DFW-LFT on AA Eagle in coach. This would have been an on time departure, however, during a strong storm, our B737-800 aircraft was struck by high winds just before push back. Maintenance was called and an inspection was made with no damage noted. The flight crew kept us fully informed and drinks were served in first class during the delay. We finally took off through very turbulent weather. The crew kept us fully informed of the weather conditions as the flight attendants had to remain seated for quite some time due to the turbulence. Once past Palm Springs, the ride became very comfortable and dinner was served. The "teriyaki beef with sugar snap beans and sticky rice" was unremarkable although the salad and dessert (freshly baked and still warm chocolate chip cookies) were fine. The red wine from Washington state was fine as well. Cabin service was excellent. Due to strong tail winds, we were only about 15 minutes late arriving in DFW and I made my connection to LFT via AA Eagle with no problems. Early arrival in LFT and my checked bag arrived on the belt quickly. All in all, a terrific job by AA and AA Eagle.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by S Montoya    (USA)

AA 1122 - horrible plane. Seats were extremely uncomfortable, even though the seat next to me was not occupied. If you ever have a choice - never choose this flight from Bogota to Dallas. The in-your-face screen in my seat did not work! None of the crew cared about it.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by Philip O'Connor    (UK)

Flew from LHR to DFW to make a connection to Mexico. They use the new 777-ER on this Dallas route. It was my first time to fly this aircraft and it's really great. I think it now must be the best business class product on the transatlantic - much better than BA. The seat is really comfortable. Great if you are travelling alone, and get a window seat and you have complete privacy. The FA looking after me was very friendly and attentive. The International Terminal D at DFW must be the best international transfer experience in the US, better than most European airports. AA system of tagging your baggage straight through to the final destination outside the US (ITI) is excellent.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by Ben Thomson    (UK)

This was our first and last time will be flying with AA, first with the 2 hour delay, that wasn't their fault but we did not get a phone call like other passengers, there was no cabin crew when we boarded the plane nor did they do cabin check (both journeys). We asked about upgrading to business class, we were told it was full yet there were some empty seats and 2 of the cabin crew were in them. My mother and I both paid 75 each for extra leg room yet the 2 sat next us (both journeys again) said they didn't. Boeing 757, UK to JFK several other passengers also complained about how unhelpful the cabin crew were. Will not recommend this service, plus delayed 1 hour coming back.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by D Carter    (Canada)

Economy PAP-Ft Laud-Dallas-YVR. First leg ok - on time and crew fine. Got caught in Ft Laud customs, grubby facility, more than 2 hours to get to an officer (5 on duty) - but US Citizens breezed through their own line while the rest of us shuffled forward. I politely mentioned I was going to miss my connection (no sympathy) and was told "be quiet and stay in line." Got to baggage claim and another massive line to leave - AA agent tried to rescue me and was rudely treated by customs and I was put back in line (I said nothing). From there on a gong show with AA - later and later flights, missed connections, no one to help at the gates, sent into a line for help and told "we are closing - sorry" leave security and come back in and see if an AA check-in is open. Got some polite help from one AA staff - ended up stuck overnight. Next leg to Vancouver in a brand new plane with TVs in the seat (I am used to that on Air Canada) - many passenger asked for - PA announced "this is a new plane we don't know how to operate the TVs either - if you need help ask a young person they might know." Cabin crew were surly and short with very polite passengers. Never, ever AA again! Arrival customs in YVR in spacious and attractive area, with passport scanners and pleasant officers.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Klaus Luckert    (Costa Rica)

I am still not a big fan of AA but it looks like that they are now working harder to provide to their pax some kind of decent flight experience. Flew recently SJO-MIA-DEN/RT. On SJO-MIA still operating the old 757, but with a refurbished cabin at least. MIA-DEN newish 737-800. Nice aircraft. Ground handling efficient and friendly. They assigned me an exit row and main cabin exit seats for free without asking. All pilots talked to the pax providing a lot of flight info. The winner was the 757 Captain of the flight MIA-SJO. After appreciating his clients over the mike he also took the time to bid a farewell to every pax exiting the plane with a Thank You and a smile. Even though their inflight service still leaves a lot to wish it is a nice manner to show each passenger the value they deserve. Overall a good experience and I'll fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by K Rossi    (USA)

Chicago to Dubai Frequent Flyer on American via LH. Been a loyal customer since the 1980's. It's really a shame how this airline has degraded. The planes I fly are always really old, virtually no entertainment system at all, if it even works, there's no leg room, and seats are often old, smelly, and sometimes broken. On one flight, the bathroom floor was cracked. Staff are always great, but they have a really poor product to work with and their frustration shows. After all these years, finally had enough, will be checking out from American after next flight, such a shame.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by B Crockford    (USA)

DFW-SEA in new 737 which was refreshing compared to previous AA flights on old planes however the new seats are cramped and feel more uncomfortable than older aircraft. In seat VOD is a huge improvement however it appears that AA will be charging for this in future, along with earphones and food. Another downside is that the screen does not adjust. Even with the seat in front not reclined, the viewing angle for a person of average height is poor and soon results in a neck ache. There is the question of service, or more particularly lack there-of and attitude. This flight was no exception and service was delivered abruptly and with only occasional customer respect. I asked for a cup of tea (complimentary) and was given a cup of hot water and a tea bag on the side. With AA, it's a case of get on board (sometimes you're welcomed other times you're not), sit down, pay for everything other than basics (and if you want water mid flight go get it but be sure to ask permission if you're not interrupting the staff talking to each other at the back), don't complain, then get off (and you might get thanked for your custom from an FA who might be sat on one of the seats - although at least the Captain often thanks you). On the plus side, this flight was very punctual and baggage delivered quickly but that speaks more to the efficiency of others.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Frank Ellsworth    (Switzerland)

Flight Zurich to JFK. Very old 767 plane - 21 years - showing excessive wear and tear. Dirty torn carpets and seat covers. Such an old and poorly maintained plane does not feel safe. No entertainment system other than a shaky, old style TV hung from the ceiling. No magazines or newspapers provided (other than the thin airline's magazine). Food quality was average - liquor costs extra. The only commendable thing was the friendly crew, and the fact that the plane was at most half full. Apparently the word about these run down planes has spread, and few people choose AA on a route which also has a direct flight from Swiss. AA terminal at JFK is catastrophic. Luggage takes almost an hour to arrive, and when departing the wait time at security was exceeded 90 minutes.