American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by S Klass    (USA)

JFK-MXP-JFK. Both flights departed a few minutes early and arrived on time. Aircraft was an 'updated' 767-300ER with the new Biz Class and Main Cabin Extra, where we were seated. Had the bulkhead seat both ways in this mini MCE cabin of 2 rows, which made a difference. Service was ok, food below average from JFK but much better from Milan. The only real downer is the lack of personal IFE or streaming IFE on this plane, only main screen entertainment was available. Were lucky though to have a professional, friendly and warm flight attendant from Milan.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD-MIA-GRU in Economy on July 28. Daylight flight from Miami to Sao Paulo - delayed 4 hours and that is where American failed its passengers. They boarded us and at the departure time they asked us to de-board as the plane has mechanical issues. Ok - fine. They say there is a plane at a gate that will take us to SP and they just need to service the plane. That was a lie - all the passengers got to the gate (and we had been told to take our pillows and blankets as the new plane wouldn't have them) and there was no plane. We sat around for 3 hours before a plane showed up from the hanger where 4 AA 777s sat the whole time. Finally board and take off - 8 hour flight and flight attendants were friendly. Seat comfort is awful - no leg room due to entertainment box at the window. Seat cushion is non-existent so luckly the extra pillow helped (we got on the plane and blankets and pillows were already there). Upon landing in Sao Paulo at 12:10am (4 hours late) we finally got an apology from the flight deck - until then they didn't say a thing about the delay. Come on American - have some respect for the people who pay your bills. I did get an email when I landed with an apology and 5,000 AA miles - ok - that's nice. But I felt sorry for the many passengers who missed connecting flights at 12.10am there are no more flights until morning. I had a 2.5 hour drive to Santos and didn't get to my hotel until 3am. When AA does it well - its great. When they fail - its really bad.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

July 31 - CWB-POA-MIA-ORD. 767-300 from CWB to Miami in Business Class. Flight boarded and crew had just come in from Miami. They were awful - no one said hello or offered a drink until just before we departed 45 minutes late to Porto Alegre. I understand they are tired - AA needs to change crew at Curitiba and have a fresh crew all the way to MIA. Landed 30 min behind schedule at POA - had to exit the plane and they gave us new boarding passes and just waited in the gate area for boarding. Little cafe had snacks and flight was packed (in coach - 1/2 full in Biz) so gate area was busy. POA-MIA - excellent service! Flight attendants were so friendly and accommodating. Greeted you by name - were always in the cabin even though the flight leaves POA at 12:05am - with water and snacks. Slept well and had a quick breakfast before landing in Miami. Aborted landing due to some warning light in the cockpit but did a fly around and landed safely. A really nice flight once we got the new crew at POA. This is the type of service that makes AA stand out.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Daniel Thomas    (USA)

JFK to LHR. AA's problems are no longer the fleet, its old tired flight attendants that should be in bed rather than serving passengers paying up to $6000 for a business class seat with an attitude and a lack of respect that is simply unacceptable. Other passengers complained as well. Just impersonal and rude service on AA104. American needs to ground those FA's that are older and with attitude. Hire younger FA's that want to do their job rather than complaining to passengers about how the airlines have changed and how what we pay for the seats isn't worth it. After 33 years I'm not flying AA anymore. Ill go BA or anything other than an American carrier. They just honestly are awful now and I see no change due to them being union. Fly a foreign carrier. You'll see the difference.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Sharon Mills    (USA)

We flew from Shreveport, LA to DFW. We then flew from Dallas to London. Neither plane left on time or got us there on time. We had people waiting in London. Same happened on the way back. On the way back, we were shuttled to British Airways. Got to Dallas, had a six hour layover. Because British Airways was late getting us to Dallas, the layover was five hours. We sat in the airport in Dallas for 4.5 hours at the gate we were supposed to leave from. Twenty minutes before the plane was to leave from Dallas, the gate was changed and we had to run to get to the new gate. I have come to the conclusion that American Airlines doesn't care at all about their customers. For the prices people are charged for tickets, and fees, you would think service would be better. Won't fly American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by N Smith    (USA)

My husband and I recently flew American first class from SFO through DFW to SDF. This was a last minute change from a ticket on another airline that allows cancellations without penalty, because we found our outbound trip to be somewhat stressful. We are delighted we made the change. The one way fare was very reasonable, and the service was superior. The SFO to DFW leg was on a wifi equipped 737. We were in seats 3F and 4F, and both of us had plenty of legroom and the seats were very comfortable. Entertainment was Rio 2, which we didn't watch because we were reading (and eating). Breakfast for me was granola, fruit salad, orange juice, coffee, and a hot biscuit with jam. I am a southern girl and take pride in my own biscuits, and I have to say the AA version was excellent. The other choice was a strata with muffin, which my husband also found quite tasty, the flight attendant passed the muffin/biscuit basket a couple of times, but we were too full to partake. At the end of the flight, she stopped by each seat and thanked us for flying American. The DFW to SDF leg was on an A312, which was quiet (a little noisy on takeoff) and sturdy. In flight entertainment choice (personal TV) was excellent - many movies, TV and music channels to choose from. The snack was also quite good - I had a salad with poached chicken, quinoa, asparagus, and arugula, with a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie. Husband had an open-faced turkey/tomato/gruyere sandwich on fresh bread with a macadamia nut cookie. He also had a tumbler of red wine, I had a diet Pepsi (they also offer Coke products). The flight attendant, was also quite attentive and spoke with us by name. We felt very well taken care of.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Sergio Pereira    (USA)

On my MIA-LHR leg I flew the 777-200 which is an awful configuration 2-3-2. What a lovely surprise on the way back to fly a 777-300, with a great configuration of 1-2-1. I was by the window, great. Upgraded seat and a great crew to complement it. Wish AA would get rid of the 2-3-2 configuration in business - pathetic.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Cynthia Robertson    (USA)

July 31, we were on flight 3143, NAS to MIA. Flight was scheduled to take off at 605. We were on the runway, on time, when a passenger became ill. We returned to the terminal. They left her on board until a paramedic arrived to check her out. At this point, she felt better and wanted to continue but had to wait until someone from headquarters arrived to determine if it was safe for her to stay on the flight. They took her off the plane, then allowed her to return, then took her off again. Every person on that plane had a connecting flight to catch. They then had to refuel the plane. We then got back on the runway, then had to go back to check out a maintenance issue. We sat there another 30 minutes. Then we had to get off the plane while they worked on it. At 9.30, we boarded again, then had to wait for a passenger who couldn't decide whether or not to continue. We finally left NAS at 10 pm. When we landed in MIA, we had to go back through customs, find our luggage, then try to find someone from AA to help us all reschedule flights. No one from AA was available to help us until after 11 pm. They put us up overnight at a local hotel and rescheduled all our flights for the next day, but it was a very poorly handled situation. I do not plan to use AA in the future. We have used other airlines many times and have had issues, but never anything handled this poorly.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Arnold MacDonald    (USA)

I have been an airline passenger for the past 60 years. All types of planes to all types of destinations with all types of carriers. The golden years you might say when the flights were not only comfortable but fun and even riotous at times! The service, food and drinks (especially the drinks) were an integral and indispensable part of the experience. It is sad to see what was once a wonderful and exciting experience reduced to the level of a bus ride and a damn uncomfortable bus ride at that! Flight AA121 Paris (CDG) to New York (JFK), July 2nd 2014 gave a glimmer of hope. The cabin crew were experienced, co-ordinated, pleasant and most helpful.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Li Andy    (Belgium)

We flew from LHR-JFK with AA101 in economy, I also had low expectations about reading several reviews here on the website. Strangely enough it was a nice and overall experience with AA. B777-300 the cabin looks fresh and airy. The stewards and stewardesses ages were no lower than 50 years but the steward on duty on my aisle was very friendly. Food was ok, we had a choice between chicken or pasta (no menu distributed), and an hour before arrival they distributed hot pizza and in between several rounds of drinks. Flight departed on time and arrived in JFK almost right on time. Overall experience was better than expected and I'll fly them again!

American Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by V Bragg    (Switzerland)

We paid for 6 business class tickets from Zurich via London to Dallas. Then 4 business class tickets from Los Angeles to London to Zurich. I've never seen a more consistent disgruntled group of employees in all of the years I've flown overseas. Where to begin? We chose American because of the "New" business class. We were given an old plane. My family is very low maintenance. We only ask for simple respect. We are mid flight and AA cancels our connection from Dallas to Grand Junction. 10 hours before we are to board. We don't get the notification until we reach our gate to fly to Grand Junction. No effort on AA part at all to help us. No hotel, no car service. We make our own arrangements. This may seem small, but by this point, we are exhausted. Any help at all by AA would have been appreciated. Our return trip. I went for more water, I was told they only had the large bottles. If I wanted more water, I could bring my small empty water bottle up and refill it. Not, how can I help you? Not, can I bring the water to you? They stand there chatting while I try to refill my bottle.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 August 2014 by R Paterson    (USA)

JFK-LAX return in F on the new A321 transcon product. American has really upped their game here. The hard product is outstanding in terms of privacy, comfort and durability. Feels very exclusive and closer to the luxury that Asian and some European carriers are offering in long haul configurations. Outbound, check-in was prompt although not very helpful with navigating the chaos that was security at JFK T8. Onboard, service was exceedingly professional albeit not intrusive but that's the way I like it. Purser kept a watchful eye on the 10 pax in the cabin and was very prompt with drink refills or any other needs. Food was above expectations and in fact quite tasty. Could have a better champagne for first class (it is in fact not a real champagne but a domestic sparkling wine) but that's a first world problem of course. Pillow and blanket provided were of good quality, could use a mattress pad for overnight flights. On the return, check in at LAX Flagship was quick and friendly, brought to the front of the security line which was nice. Can't comment on onboard service on the return because once we hit 10,000 feet I put the seat into bed mode and slept a complete four and a half hours of solid sleep, waking just before descent. This is a first for me in over 25 years of travel. For that reason alone, I fully commend this product. It's a game changer for the NY-LA market.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Mark Elliott    (Australia)

I recently flew with AA and US Airways from New York, Boston and Washington DC. I cannot believe that American Airlines is part of the One World Alliance. When you look at the level of service you get from world class airlines like Qantas, Cathay Pacific and LAN and then see the pathetic offering you get from AA, I am dumbstruck. As a frequent Australian traveller I absolutely hate having to use AA anytime. Their Admirals Club lounges are truly pathetic - paying for food and pseudo-snacks like pretzels and plastic wrapped muffins. AA passengers who fly Qantas and use the Qantas Club lounges must be amazed. The service on AA is uniformly awful and rude. How can Americans put up with such an array of shocking airline companies. Now that AA have bought US Airways it will be doubly bad.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 August 2014 by C Bundick    (USA)

My flight out of Chicago was delayed for hours and then cancelled at 1am. Understandable, taking into consideration Chicago weather. However, it was the customer service received during, and after, this that convinced me to end my days as an American Airlines flyer. I spent the next few hours on hold with customer service trying to get my flight rebooked. After 3.5 hours on hold, I booked a flight for the following morning through the AA website to ensure that I would return home on time. The next morning, unable, once again, to contact customer service, I boarded the flight and made it home in time to return to work. Only after I finally contacted customer service did I learn that I had, in fact, been booked on a rescheduled flight. I searched my inbox, spam and trash but had received no sort of email or notification of the rescheduling. If I had been informed of this flight, or been able to contact customer service, I could have foregone the cost of a second flight and avoided all of the frustrating, cold emails that have taken place since.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by John Parsons    (USA)

DFW to PDX - the service was terrible. First, the price: it was $360, round-trip, non-stop. While this may sound like a good deal, it was not too long ago that American wanted $500 for the same trip. I could go to Europe one- way for that! The price drop is the only reason why I give them 2 out of 5 stars for value. If it weren't for that, I would give them one-star without a second thought. Second, the lines for baggage check were long. Apparently, this airline does not realize that it's 2014: I was completely unable to pay my baggage fee online, and there was no fast check-in option, either. So I had to wait in line to do something I could have done online with other air carriers, and only takes five minutes at most with other ones. Third, the seats. They were harder than rocks with virtually no leg room with my messenger bag below the seat in front of me. It was virtually impossible to sleep or rest in my seat. When I got off the plane, I was very sore. The flight attendants did not care about my experience, and the check-in agents flat out ignored me at PDX. Lastly, when I emailed American with a complaint about these issues, I got the most sarcastic response I have ever got from a customer service representative. In conclusion, I never plan on flying American again. I'd rather have a stop (or two!) than fly them.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Marina Wiedemann    (Germany)

We had a really good flight with a very nice and obliging crew! Food was very good, also the entertainment program and the seats. We will always fly with AA again!

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Samone Brewington    (USA)

I will never fly AA again. The Miami staff were very rude and not accommodating at all. Flight was late leaving from Turks and Caicos and staff failed to announce the delay by half an hour. Therefore I missed my connecting flight in Miami to LGA. Miami Staff were not accommodating. I had an older aunt with me and I asked for a wheelchair twice, it never came. AA staff had no sense of direction or didn't speak enough English - it was terrible! Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Cuenco    (UAE)

LHR-JFK. I had low expectations due to reviews posted here. I was therefore happy to discover that the plane was new (and/or very clean), seats were comfortable, flight attendants warm and friendly. The flight was full and the flight attendants graciously offered passengers the option to spread out so that we can be comfortable. Meals were hot and nicely prepared. IFE was varied and up to date, WiFi available on board but not free. The pilot was very pleasant in his announcements that I didn't mind the delay in landing/parking due to the rains in NY. It seems AA is starting to up its game, starting with international flights. Will most probably fly AA again in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by R Kanefsky    (USA)

Let me start by saying I am a regular business flier and travel frequently, although because of issues like the following complaint, usually only fly AA as a last resort. On a recent trip from LGA to DFW, AA forced me to gate- check my same standard 22in. carry-on bag which I take on every flight on every other airline. The bag clearly fit within the test box, when I had to test it the first time going through the security checkpoint, and similarly fit again when forced to test it at the gate, but because the agent said I had to "push" it down to fit within the box, it was too big and had to be checked. When I boarded the plane, I was frustrated to see that the bag would have easily fit within the overhead compartment. Maybe AA has smaller jets with smaller overhear storage capacity than every other major airline. This was a big inconvenience and was easily avoidable and I will continue to avoid flying on AA whenever possible.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Hillary Wu    (USA)

The boarding passes we printed out at DFW Airport showed that the flight from DFW to TYR originally scheduled at 6pm was delayed to 8pm. We still went to the gate to see if the delay was changed. The monitor showed that the flight was delayed to 8pm. After we returned to the gate at 7pm, we were told the flight left at 6.30. There was no more flights from DFW to TYR afterwards. The assistant checked us in for the 9.00 flight the next day. When we requested whether there was a voucher for a hotel, we were told no. We called the customer service and were blamed for not listening to the announcements. We had to rent a car to return home and drove back to DFW next day to return the rental car. Each person was trying to shift the responsibility away to somebody else. If they made profits by charging passengers more and providing less service, whats to celebrate?

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Sander van Kan    (The Netherlands)

Flight AA1018, DUS-LHR on 5/6/2014 onboard N936NN (B738). Flight was on time and smooth. Food and drinks to buy. Crew were typically American and not that friendly. Legroom was adequate, but no more.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Chris Dodd    (Australia)

From LA to Chicago on 22nd June on American Airlines. Perfect service from staff at the airport to FA's on the plane. I have read a lot of bad reviews on this website but can only say my husband and I found our flight more than we expected. Our luggage was delayed for about an hour but this was I believe only due to two planes arriving at the same time.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Phillip Evans    (USA)

Flight from Germany to Charlotte, NC to Huntsville, AL in 05/2014 was the worst flight experience. TV screen did not work, staff was not concerned after numerous requests. The aircraft had a malfunction before takeoff in NC, delaying us 3 hours on the taxiway. This caused a missed flight at the connection stop. American did not care whatsoever and we had to ask to get a meal voucher, but that was all that was given. They would only put us on another American flight that left hours later, putting us home in the middle of the night and needed to be at work the next morning. Worst airline ever. This review only covers about 65% of the issues experienced.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Mitchell Norman    (UK)

LHR-MIA-LHR. It is some time since I have flown AA transatlantic, after many years of having previously done so when both the hard and soft products were truly appalling. This choice came about as a result of the fare being two-thirds of the next best, so difficult to ignore. Both sectors were by B77W equipment with the new Business Class configuration. This is a vast improvement. The cabin crew actually seemed to enjoy being there (almost) although the sole male cabin crew member in Business on the return flight was extremely obnoxious. Food was ok- ish and whilst I had chosen my entrees on-line for both sectors, there was no record on board of any of my selections. The cabin crew told me that this on-line facility was a complete waste of time as it never worked. Overall, AA was better than my recollection of many years before but, hard product apart, it continues to be still a long way behind the alternatives.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by K Frietsch    (USA)

Booked flights for the husband and I from BOS to MIA in October. Received an email changing our flight times and seats after we had purchased and selected. Threw us off the original time and put another flight number in its place. Had no reasonable explanation other than they are re-figuring their planes! Really messed up our departure, for sure. The planes are so old and dirty. Couldn't even use the bathroom, as it was filthy on our last flight. The attendants were miserable! TV monitors were from the dark ages, not to mention the inside condition of the plane. It was falling apart from the inside. Could see the outer shell from my seat! Charge megabucks for low class experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Mitchell Norman    (UK)

MIA-BOG-MIA. Both sectors were flown by very tired B752s with equally tired cabin crews. I have been flying these sectors along with other Latin routes with (Latin) American Airlines, which bears little resemblance to AA mainline, for some 25 years on the same aircraft type with the same take-it or leave-it cabin crew attitudes. Wifi and in-flight power is heavily advertised on these aircraft but were not available on either sector. Both aircraft and cabin crew are in need of a substantial refresh.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Carlos Ramos    (USA)

Will never fly AA again. The experience at Dallas was terrible. Flight was late, therefore, missed flight. Boarded another flight, but told to get off due to mechanical problem. Very little information on what to do next. Sent to four different gates. Treated like cattle. Never made it out that day and no guarantee to fly next day. Forced to go to a different airport and buy another ticket on Southwest. No apologies by AA personnel. Customer service was the worst I've experienced in over 50 years of traveling.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Michael G Salter    (UK)

I travelled American Airlines on Flight AA55 from Manchester UK to Chicago. This was an awful flight. The aircraft had no in seat entertainment, the seats were old and uncomfortable, the headrests hardly lifted above the seat so for a taller person the backrest sticks in your back. In addition the staff were at best terse, at worst indifferent. I can only believe they are as fed up as I was being stuck on that aircraft. On the bright side it arrived on time, overall however it was a prime example of a truly budget flight, the only thing is I paid a lot of money for the flight. I only went this route because I needed to go to Chicago, never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Terry Smith    (USA)

I purchased a flight with American Airline to fly from Miami to New Orleans on July 3-7. They changed my flight to US Air, but didn't inform me until one week before flight. I paid for upgrade seats but it was not transferred over. Now what really bother me was my return trip home from New Orleans, well I didn't get back until a day later. Both airlines seemed to simply want to place blame on each other when they should be working together on rescheduling flights when they cancel them. American whom I booked with originally were of absolutely no use to me once they changed me to a US Air flight. Though it took many back and forth trips between the two companies finally a supervisor with US Air, provided me with some assistance in getting me booked on another flight to fly out a day later. It's ridiculous that it would take me 4 hours in the airport to get rescheduled, when I checked in well in advance (4hours) after my flight was canceled. I should not have needed a supervisor to get my flight rescheduled, all agents should be able to do it. I went through 5 agents between AA and US Air, and none were helpful. When airlines join forces to become one company, they should be operating as one not passing the buck and blame between each other.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Deborah Yang    (USA)

Took AA on a trip to Spain. En route, two of my three flights were delayed, almost causing me to miss a connection, and my baggage was lost - not sure if by American or one of the affiliated carriers. The worst was yet to come, however. My flight from Madrid to NYC was delayed by a couple hours, and so I was rebooked for my connecting flight. I wish I'd insisted on catching it, since it was delayed anyway, because what transpired after was unbelievable. The rebooked flight to DC was eventually canceled. We sat on the tarmac for 2.5 hours as maintenance repaired a broken chair, then a door, and then we lost our slot in the queue and had to wait awhile, and then my home airport suspended flights coming and going due to weather. Finally, the pilot took us back to the gate and told us our flight was canceled. 4 hours on the tarmac that day. Service to rebook flights was slow, and some agents were a bit snippy. Slept at the gate overnight for my early flight the next morning. Had a bad feeling when I saw people arriving through the same gate 15 minutes prior to our scheduled boarding time. Sure enough, we sat there for well over an hour as the tyre on the plane was being changed, and then the flight was canceled. Exasperated, I asked for a flight out of LaGuardia instead, and although it was delayed on the runway, I eventually got home, after four bookings from NYC to DC. Very tight seat arrangement on the planes flying back (because they were older). Food wasn't bad, and service on all the planes was overall pretty good. Service at the gate ranged from very solicitous to brusque. The airline seems to schedule flights too close together. On top of that, the planes on my return trip were all old and shoddy, hence the delays. So I ended up being booked for eight flights round trip when I was originally scheduled for just five. Seven of eight were delayed, and two of those led to cancellations. American didn't do much to compensate me for the inconvenience either. I will never fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Russell Conyers    (Bermuda)

Flew from LAX to JFK on AA292 in First Class, 14th July. A very good experience on a brand new plane, an A321. The seat makes the flight as it converts to a fully lie flat bed and I was able to get a few hours of sleep after having a nice hot breakfast. Good inflight entertainment, amenity kit, and a great cabin crew who seemed happy to be there. Well done AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Steven Koenig    (Brazil)

ORD-SEA first class. Standard first class seats. Nothing special, but comfortable. Lunch was surprisingly good. Glad we pre-selected the beef dish. Decent selection of beer and wine. Still don't like the fact that buying a domestic first class ticket doesn't get us into the airline's airline's club, but this is standard, at least among U.S. airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Gabriel Lee    (USA)

HKG-DFW. Check-in: no online check-in for some reason, had to do it at the airport. Good, no problem. Boarding: for all US-bound flights, they had to search all our hand-carry bags for water/liquids, and they do it in the middle of the bridge, where the air isn't moving very well and warm. I don't understand why can't they do it right before scanning the boarding pass. The bridge area is small, not a smart idea at all. I feel bad for those in a long line for the economy class. In-flight: Food/meals are very good, no complaints there. The seat is excellent with lie-flat bed and big screen monitor. One problem, there were several movies/TV shows that are shown available but couldn't get to it. Other than that, slept well and services were fine.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by G Chesney    (USA)

Just flew on Sunday, 7/13, on AA's new 777-300 International configuration in business class. I have to say that it was the very first time I have felt that a US carrier competed effectively with front rank international carriers. The seat was excellent. The overall quality of the seat was superior given the amenities, screen, etc. Just the slightest bit less comfortable than BA's flat seat, but not a huge different. The overall seat was superior to anyone else's business class I have been on. The food and beverage service was excellent. Appetizing, decent portions, well served and proper temperature. Inflight entertainment options are excellent. Beats the angled "lie flat" seat on the 767's and older triple 7's. You got it right this time. Even the crew was not as grouchy as AA flight crews have become. Actually I was very pleased.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Carol Levalley    (USA)

Had a 6 part trip this month on AA. Every leg had issues. Mechanical problems abound due to the age of the fleet. Arrived at JFK for the vacation portion of this trip and was told at the first class check in that our aircraft was removed from service and we would be 6 hours delayed departing. We missed our first day of vacation and a party because of this. Bottom line, you can't rely on this company to get you where you are going in any reliable way. Also have issues with their website, frequently down, lack of communication with flight delays also.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Dunlop Chris    (Australia)

Just flew 4 domestic sectors LAX-DFW-OMA and DSM-DFW-LAX. Ex LAX boarded on time but then due to weather in DFW were delayed for roughly 2 hours. Informed of delay by Captain and given updates. Once underway beverage service given, inflight video shown. Overnight in DFW then to OMA next day. Flight delayed due to mechanical issues. Passengers allowed off plane after first hour, cabin crew offered juice and water then granola bars. Flight cancelled after 4 hours. $12 refreshment vouchers given. Replacement aircraft and eventually got away about 5.5 hours late. Whilst this was an inconvenience I believe the staff acted properly keeping passengers informed and making alternate arrangements. Return flight I requested baggage to be checked through to SYD which took some time to organise due to booking problems caused by the earlier delay when I had been taken off the delayed flights but then reinstated. Only complaint was during this time our pre-assigned seats were given away and we were given seats at the back of the aircraft without the additional leg room. All things considered I was happier to have bags checked through and less legroom. I have been critical of AA in the past but thus trip they receive full marks.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by B Gentry    (USA)

I had not flown AA for a few years, and now I know why. AA employees sat in first class on a very early flight from TPA-MIA and spoke loudly to one another while the other first class passengers tried to sleep. Had a 7.40pm flight from MIA-TPA, but paid a $75 plane change fee to take the 5.50pm flight. No problem there, except for the fact that the plane, flight 986 from STT-MIA had an alarm mishap and they had to call a maintenance personnel from off-site. He was very late so therefore, missed the earlier connection at 5.50pm from MIA-TPA and took my original flight at 7.40pm-no compensation returned for their error. Other members in my party had first class on the 5.50pm flight and did not receive it when we were all booked on the 7.40pm flight. They did attempt to put us all together, but placed us in the exit row with two children traveling under the age of 15. Therefore, the kids had to sit in other areas in the plane and were scared to sit alone. Upon a later arrival to TPA at 8.40pm, AA/US AIR misplaced our luggage and was it was all still sitting in Miami with Priority tags on them. So much for priority as they turned up a day and a half later.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by J O'Reilly    (Ireland)

Providenciales - Miami: AA300. Miami - Paris: AA62. Both flights on old aircraft, in particular the flight from Miami to Paris was dreadful on an old 767. No AVOD or individual screen. The seats were the most uncomfortable I have experienced. Food was tasteless and bland with portions quite small. Drinks service was decent but really that was all with the flight that was a positive. Staff seemed disinterested and tired during the flight. First and last time I fly with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by A Bailey    (USA)

PensacolatoSan Francisco. After paying full fare for a toddler in a seat, my pregnant daughter was treated so inconsiderately by American Airlines staff. No pre-board because "there are too many children on this flight" and they took her stroller away so that she had to carry 2 bags and the child. On one leg of the flight they gave her back the stroller last and nearly made her miss her connection.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD-JFK/LGA-ORD - July 2-5. I keep seeing a huge increase in great attitudes from flight attendants on AA flights. Very personable and fun on both flights. Departed ORD on-time and landed at JFK early - but taxied around JFK for 30 minutes before getting to our gate. Dinner served was pre-ordered on aa.com and the chicken was very tasty. Return to ORD from LGA - plane was only 60% full and the three flight attendants (DCA-based) were having a great time with everyone. Lots of talking, laughing with passengers and very personable. Good dinner served and landed 40 minutes early into ORD. I see a lot of negative reports for AA but I wonder if people are just expecting too much or are exaggerating their issues. Keep up the good work AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Pam Gould    (USA)

One month travel itinerary June 10 - July 8. Point here is not as much about inconvenience as how situations are handled. 4 flights cancelled. One due to weather. Paid upgrades are not refunded if flights cancelled, per AA reservations. After 3.5 hour wait, little or no information given to waiting passengers in cancellation of first leg OGG-LAX. Restaurant employees saw flight crew leave airport. AA would only help passengers with connections. The rest of us scrambled for flights. Locating luggage was a whole other mishap. 2.5 hr flight from QRO-DFW turned into a 10 hour flight, touching down in 2 cities to refuel. Water was being rationed. Children first. No food. No offers from ground crews for additional water or even peanuts. No help with connecting flights. No enough cots in airport, Terribly mishandled. Connecting flight missed but cancelled anyway. MCI-OGG delayed 4 hours. Equipment not available. Automated message via phone at 2.30 am for 7.30 am flight. Was auto rebooked on flight out a day later. Called and obtained same day departure. Hoping I get out. Remember when flying used to be fun and airlines treated us with courtesy? Note: Have flown all other US carriers, AA is cheaper but savings offset by delay costs incurred, other problems and poor treatment.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Reed    (USA)

I flew from Ontario, CA to Indianapolis, IN by way of Dallas, TX (round-trip). All 4 planes were MD-80's - I probably don't need to say much more. These planes should have been taken out of service 10 years ago. I was flying them in the early 90's from ORD to LAX, they needed to be retired back then. All 4 flights were delayed because of mechanical problems (ranging from inoperative toilets to loose electrical panels). All 4 planes were filthy - not just the rest rooms and aisles - but, the seats, windows and tray tables were disgusting. All 4 flights were full - so, as we sat on the planes, waiting for the "maintenance issues" to be resolved, we roasted. Given that I had a similar experience on a trip from Palm Springs to Cleveland (round trip, 4 flight segments) in April on American, I should have known better. But, as a "loyal rewards member," I booked this last flight on American too - hoping for better equipment and on time service. At this point, I don't even expect any aspect of comfort on American flights - I just want a safe plane that lands reasonably on time. Given the last 8 flights that I flew on American planes in the last 90 days, I'm not even certain that the old MD-80's are safe anymore. When 6 out of 8 of my flights were delayed for mechanical or maintenance issues, I begin to wonder, I'm going to start building my miles on United. I'm done with American. P.S. - during the last 20 years, I have been "Gold," "Platinum" and in the "Concierge Key" program - so, I have witnessed the decline of this airline's quality and on- time performance first-hand.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by W Burg    (USA)

Flight #7943 from Honolulu to Los Angeles, April 25 2014. This airline is terrible. The only reason to choose this airline is that they have so many flights to so many locations. But it is as if they don't like to be in flight service. Both my husband and I have been regular flight passengers for most of our adult lives, for business and pleasure. Over the years AA has not improved on any level of their service. Since going online for booking we have yet to have reservation that isn't botched in some way. I am sitting on AA plane as I write this, as we wait, after flying 5.5 hours, for a gate to become available. Though this may be an airport error, the connections between flights is so short that many passengers are in threat of missing there next flight. We almost missed our connecting to this flight because only 30 minutes was allotted between flights. I would gladly pay more for better service, and have, but AA has only increased its prices but not improved the quality of service.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by A Bailey    (USA)

Pensacola toSan Francisco. After paying full fare for a toddler in a seat, my pregnant daughter was treated so inconsiderately by American Airlines staff that none of us will ever fly with this airline again. No pre-board because "there are too many children on this flight" and they took her stroller away so that she had to carry 2 bags and the child. On one leg of the flight they gave her back the stroller last and nearly made her miss her connection. There is no compassion from this airline!

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Mark    (USA)

Paris to Boston on an old and uncomfortable 757. The worst international business class seat I've ever had. Did anyone from American try sitting in this seat before they selected it? Small personal video screen with terrible resolution and limited choice of films. Food was inedible. The only good about this flight was the crew - friendly and hard working. Luggage took 40 minutes to unload. Overall a terrible experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Sharon Deitz    (USA)

We will never fly with this airline again. Flight out of Moline Il was delayed for an hour because the airplane wasn't there. We finally get a plane and find out from the flight attendant the delay was caused because there was no ramp at their last stop. The pilots did an awesome job getting us to Dallas on time. But then we sat for over an hour waiting to get to a gate. By this time everyone's connecting flights should have left. But we run across the Dallas airport and find out our connecting flight is delayed as well. Seems we didn't have a crew. What a joke. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Erdal Dirlik    (USA)

I recently flew from Miami to London. Sat in the economy class. Seat was extremely narrow, designed for very slim person. I am 185lbs and 5'11". For me the seat was very uncomfortable. If you are a large person recommend to buy 2 seats or avoid flying economy. The cabin was very claustrophobic. There was a big wall in front. The quality and the quantity of the food was pathetic. Inedible unless you were real hungry. This airline lowered their standards tremendously. I used 50000 points and paid $68 for this one way flight. In monetary terms approx $700. If the airlines do not stop abusing their passenger, I personally will give up long distance flying.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Dennis Kloepper    (USA)

We recently took our family to Maui to celebrate our 48th anniversary. My husband is in his 70's as I am, and he has Parkinson's disease. I have recently had a knee replacement, so we rented a hotel for the park and fly program as did our daughter's family, for a total of $475 so there would be no chance of us being late for our plane which was to leave at 10.35 am. We arrived early, as were told to do. Eventually we found that there was a delay of at least 30 minutes. The delay continued to be extended and ended up being a 9 hour wait. AA reps told us there was nothing they could do. The seats are firm plastic with no head rest or place to lean against the wall. We were given a lunch voucher which we used, but were never offered a dinner voucher. We became more and more frustrated as time progressed. We finally left for a long flight to Maui with a crew who were unhappy to called out on Father's Day on an unexpected flight. Their attitude reflected that. We were not given anything to compensate for all our problems, no free drinks, no food. Nothing. We got to our hotel at 3.30 am. On our trip home we were held up because someone had thrown up in the seat, but it wasn't cleaned up by the cleaning crew. There was vomit on the seats and in the buckle, making it necessary to take off all seat covering, and taking out and putting in all new seatbelt apparatus. To top this all off we are AA frequent flyers!

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Ljunggren    (Canada)

What a horrible product AA offers in the back of the plane for longer flights. I flew from Manaus to Miami overnight and could not get comfortable in the nasty thin under padded seats. The meal service was a soggy ham sandwich and a glutinous dessert while the entertainment was provided by screens that dropped down from the ceilings. Even small Air Canada planes have seat back TVs but American's 737s do not, and this on a 5-hour flight. When they dimmed the cabin lights the screens kept playing the film, so good luck trying to get any sleep with the flashing lights in your eyes. Awful, just awful. It is a throwback to the 1990s.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Prewett Bethany    (USA)

I recently booked a 9.30am trip to Amarillo through American Airlines (booked it 2 months in advance). The morning of the flight at about 6.30am (while I was headed to the airport) I was called by American Airlines and it was an automated voice recording telling me that my flight had been cancelled and they automatically put me on a 6.30pm flight that night. I had no option to talk to anyone or hear a reasoning on the scenario that was taking place. I had to call back and go through various automated conversations until I finally reached someone. After explaining the situation (and no sympathy was shown) I realized the person could not help me and did not desire to help me. Little did she know, I had major wedding events to get to at my destination (hints why I booked an early flight in the first place). I ended up having to book another flight through Southwest Airlines last minute (costing me a fortune) just to make it to the city in time. It was an all around awful experience dealing with an impersonal system that left me without answers, paying a fortune, and still arriving later than I planned. I will never again try to fly American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Nash    (USA)

On our return flight from Orlando to DFW, we arrived early to the massive lines at security. Got through and sat down for an early dinner, flight delayed. Took our time then another notice, flight delayed again. Finally left dinner and walked around, got to out terminal, flight delayed again. So our 7pm take off was now leaving at 9pm. Sat down and watched TV. Then some people started standing up and getting upset, flight now delayed until 11.45pm. Our plane arrived, but had to wait on a crew to fly us. Finally got on the plane after midnight and waited another hour on the plane. We were told we might not have enough fuel. Really? The plane had been there at the airport for 3 hours and no one checked to refuel it? Got back to DFW at 2.30am. Only one baggage person there at that time and several bags were missing. 30 minutes waiting to get our bag that came in at an early flight. So 8 hours in the airport and all the explanation we got was it was DFW's fault. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 July 2014 by R Maxwell    (USA)

I was on a round trip Miami to Buenos Aires in business class. I read reviews about the service and aircraft (767-300) being substandard. However, I found the seats to be reasonably comfortable and the service by the Buenos Aires based crew was very nice.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

Narita - LAX, June 25, First Class. A totally acceptable experience except for boarding and off loading. See my previous review for service comments. Boarding for a First class really needs an upgrade, first class passengers deserve more. LAX arrival was unacceptable. Remote gate (ok that happens) but first class passengers were herded onto a packed bus for the ride to terminal. Come on not even a special bus for first and business pax? Not a way to get or keep premium passengers.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Carey Brock    (USA)

June 15-19, supposed to depart from Knoxville to Dallas to Las Vegas but were made to drive from Knoxville to Nashville. Route ended up being Nashville to Dallas to Las Vegas and vice versa. Our flight was changed several times by the airline before departure date. On the date of departure we received an automated phone call 3 hours before take off notifying us that our plane was delayed 4 hours. This interfered with our connecting flight and there was not another flight that would have us reaching our destination until the next day. I contacted the airline immediately and they confirmed that if they re-routed us we could reach our destination. We agreed to this and proceeded to the airport. Upon arrival, we were unable to check in. An hour later it was discovered that when re-routing us the person had neglected to issue us a ticket and now our flight was over booked. Our only option was to drive 2.5 hours to another airport catch a flight there and then have 15 minutes between connecting flights that we were to try and get to the gate and board in time. Somehow, we managed to make it and made it to our destination. On our return trip, we again couldn't check in and had to see an attendant. Everyone we encountered was extremely rude and hateful. I will never fly American Airlines again.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by A Mather    (UK)

If you're looking for a company that will fly you in the least comfort at the highest price then look no further – you found it. It is inconceivable that American Airlines are still flying old planes with no individual entertainment systems on their transatlantic crossing and charging more than anyone else for the privilege. They didn't even show the film they advertised. We only flew from JFK to Buffalo (with a rival company), a flight of just over an hour and they had individual entertainment screens. To add insult to injury AA ran an ad telling us all how they are adding a new plane every week to their fleet! All I can say is watch out AA when Thomson starts flying the Dreamliner from Manchester to JFK in May 2015, I do not predict a very prosperous future for them.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Williams Mark    (UK)

LHR-MIA, 11 June, 777-300ER in Main Cabin Extra. I read a lot of complaints about American but it is an American airline serving American tastes. It has no desire to compete with the significantly better Asian and Mid East airlines and it would seem quite happy with its 3-star rating. So don't expect too much! Main cabin extra is excellent and as my husband is a permanent gold card holder, we were able to select these at no extra cost. The seats are wider and very comfortable. The extra legroom is a bonus. Everything else is as in economy. The IFE on the -300 is very swish with a large screen and huge content, a marked improvement over the -200 and the 767. I've always found that if you are nice to the staff they are nice in return and this was the case on this flight. The service was prompt and efficient, the food acceptable and staff were present throughout the flight. Take off and landing were about on time. Be nice, keep your expectations reasonable and its ok.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Walker Roy    (USA)

I booked a flight from LAX to Raleigh-Durham NC. 24 hours before the flight, I went on the AA web site to 'Check- in' and obtain my 'Boarding Pass'. When I selected the option to check-in, I was asked if I wanted to select a seat. I elected yes, and was presented which several options for only 'Paid Seats' at $86/per seat. Thinking there were no other options, I selected a seat and paid the $86 for both the departing and return trips. After making and paying $172 for seats, the web site asked if I wanted my boarding pass. I said yes, and I was offered the option for seat selections that required no extra fee. Feeling set-up, wondering why I was not offered options for all available seats from the beginning, I called the AA Customer service group and the agent informed me that they could not do anything about changing my seat to one that did not require an extra fee. I then wrote them to ask why I was lead into believing I could only purchase a seat when free seats were available, they simply said 'you made the decision to purchase the seat and therefore there is nothing that can do'. After this frustrating experience, on the outbound flight, I requested a 'bloody mary mix', just after the stewardess handed one to the stewardess covering the first class group. I was informed that they no longer had any more. Things on the return flight were equally as bad. I was unable to print a boarding pass - web message said my reservation had been cancelled. When I attempted to call the customer service group at 11.00 pm EDT, the auto attendant informed me that wait time to talk with an agent was 35 minutes. Needless to say, after these experiences, I will never fly this airline again.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Williams Mark    (UK)

MIA-LHR, 16 June, 777-200. Used miles to upgrade from economy. Call centre staff very helpful with this. Our flight didn't have enough upgrades available for both of us but she checked the next flight and found two. We paid a small extra charge to change flights in addition to the usual miles and co-pay but well worth it. We were originally returning on the -300, so a bit disappointed. The 2-3-2 configuration is now old hat, as are the seats. American made a big mistake not going for fully flat bed seats when they bought the -200 and the angle flat seats are very out of date. Having said that, they were very comfortable with huge legroom. The angle is not as bad as some I've been on though and I managed several hours sleep overnight. Lots of space and a bit of room for your bits and pieces. Service was rushed on takeoff, which I assume was because the flight left at 21.20 and they wanted to allow everyone to sleep as soon as possible. Lights were out before we asked for coffee and cognac but staff willing to continue serving us as long as were wanted. Staff were visible all night, as far as I could see. Be nice to the staff and they will usually be nice to you. Almost always works, as it did on this flight. Food was only average, certainly not what I expect for business class - grossly overcooked steak, destroyed broccoli thing and something else I couldn't identify. Breakfast was a lovely omelette but it came with another grossly overcooked and dry bit of steak. It was all well presented and served however, with good crockery, flatware and glass wine glasses. Interesting that they did trolley service rather than tray service I have previously had on American. IFE on the -200 is dated with a reasonable screen size but limited selection of movies. It broke down at the beginning of the flight and it took a very long reboot to get it going. Certainly not up to the standard on the -300. Bose noise-reducing headphones a great idea but they are collected an hour before landing. The map feature showing flight progress etc didn't work for the entire flight. American is not trying to be one of the significantly better Asian or Mid East airlines, so don't expect it to be. Keep expectations reasonable and you will likely enjoy the flight. I did.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 June 2014 by P Miller    (UK)

LAX-LHR. Business check-in at American's terminal at LAX is a joke. 1 person to check in everyone while 2 customer service agents hang around telling us 'they're going as fast as they can'. Security was in a tiny, airless room - I couldn't quite believe this was the entrance to the terminal. Once through, we passed the main, spacious security check-in - it was closed. At the Admirals Club, things started to look up: it's large, with friendly bartenders and table service for drinks. Surprised to be restricted to 2 drinks coupons though. I'm guessing it's because there are domestic passengers in the lounge too. The plane was at a remote stand so we had to take a bus out to it - this surprises me as you would have thought that LAX-LHR was a premium route and American would want to encourage passengers. On board, the cabin in business class on the 777-300 is exceptional - probably best across the Atlantic. Huge seats, comfy flat bed, great IFE, plenty of drinks and ok food. Cabin crew friendly enough. Easy to sleep on this plane. There was a delay due to a sick passenger on the incoming flight and then a minor maintenance issue - all the movies were on, so we drank and watched films. Breakfast was plentiful and really fresh. Sorry to get off at LHR!

American Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Andrew Westcott    (UK)

We have just completed a round trip from the UK to USA, two transatlantic flights and three internal flights. The first from London to Dallas was characterised by dreadful food, (lunch being served immediately after an early morning take-off!) with very unfriendly and ungracious staff. The second flight from Dallas to El Paso was delayed for an hour at El Paso where we sat on the tarmac for an hour in temperatures of c.110F because of a failed air conditioning unit. Offered not so much as a glass of water. The delay meant that the car hire desk we were using was closed at El Paso. The second internal flight was from El Paso to Phoenix. This time the flight was delayed because the 'pontoon bridge' attaching the plane to the terminal was broken. Again we sat on the tarmac, without refreshment. Again surly and uncooperative staff. We were sat at the back of the plane, when drinks were finally offered there was very little choice left and no time to enjoy them. The third flight from Las Vegas to New York was relatively uneventful, tho' with ungracious and charmless grumpy staff. The food on board was expensive, terrible and tasteless. The final flight was delayed more than 2 hours at take off and just under two hours at landing. No staff would tell us what was going on, the plane was changed and we were forced to split up our family seats and had to sit in different places on the plane. The food was inedible. Staff were not only surly but extremely rude. In all instances the planes were old, shabby and dirty with worn through upholstery and carpets, defective lavatories, inflight entertainment was broken, reading lights did not work, fresh air vents that would not open, or close and the worst cabin staff I have experienced.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

June 12, AA169, LAX-NRT, F Class. Nowadays one has quite high expectations for International First Class, while adequate American met none of those expectations. On all levels it met international business class standards and no more. Cabin crew was friendly but not very visible between meals. Better off in business on JAL, United, Singapore or even Delta. Quite a let down.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Melissa Banegas    (USA)

June 11 2014, flight 1322, Liberia Costa Rica to MIA. Worst experience ever! On our return, aircraft had an engine problem, delayed flight for 4 hours, missed connecting flight in MIA to NYC because of this issue. Arrived at MIA at 12am and next flight was at 6am, upon leaving same engine issue, flight delayed 2 more hours. On top of the fact that their aircraft's are not inspected they offer no food, not even a bag of chips and there's no wifi even though they say they provide it. I travel twice every year, will never fly with them again!

American Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by G Lieberman    (USA)

I just completed a multi city international round trip with American. 2 international flights and 3 domestic. So the international (from South America to Miami) was an overnight flight. The plane was old and the ceiling TVs stayed on all night. No sleep. All of my domestic flights were either delayed, re-routed or cancelled. The first, from Tampa to DFW was cancelled due to no oxygen. To top it off, at my final destination back in South America, one bag was delayed (hopefully not lost) as it was accidentally put on a LAN flight to Lima. 5 days later I am still waiting for it.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by H Anstock    (UK)

I flew from Manchester Airport to JFK in economy class. From the start the aircraft was very dated and did not smell particularly clean. The food was dull, unappetising and almost thrown at you by the staff, drinks were not offered except with the meal, I had to beg a member of staff for a bottle of water on the journey. The IFE was very poor, the TV was attached to the ceiling above the aisle, so from my window seat I couldn't see the full screen so didn't get any IFE. On the return journey the same 4 episodes of "Salvage Hunters" was shown on a loop so repeated 3 times during the 7 hour flight. The seats were uncomfortable and very cramped, on the return flight the passenger in front had his seat back which meant for a very claustrophobic journey. The most startling aspect to flying with American Airlines was the rudeness of the staff! I went to the toilet and an exiting a member of staff had started serving lunch, she kept shouting at me to not stand close to her (which I was not) and in the end marched me to my seat and demanded I "sit, now". On the return I had to plead for a drink, only to get a very aggressive member of staff thrust a can of juice at me before saying "now go sit down". After booking with BA I was disappointed to find AA codeshare and operate the flight as I was not prepared for the awful aircraft used, the lack of IFE, the poor quality food and the stunningly nasty approach by the cabin crew. Would never choose or recommend this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 June 2014 by M Dare    (USA)

We started in BWI with 4 delays totalling 4 hours. We finally made it to DFW and have been sitting on tarmac for almost a half hour now, just a perfect end to horrible trip with AA. Tried calling customer service with a seat issue before flight and the woman hung up on me. I actually got 2 voice messages on the first 2 delays. I will not fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by W Anderson    (USA)

We booked a quick weekend round trip from MIA to ORD and the trip went very well! We had requested wheelchair service both ways and they were on time and very professional. From the counter staff to the flight crew, Thank you for your professionalism and courtesy.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by B Fluhman    (USA)

Upon arrival at DFW airport, my flight was supposed to depart at 10.20 pm. The flight was delayed several times and finally canceled at 12.00 am. Hotels were not offered, the only option was to sleep in the airport. The next flight to my destination was scheduled for 7.30 am the following morning. At 7.20 am the next morning we learned that they had no pilot for the flight, delayed again. I am very dissatisfied with AA customer service and I will no longer be flying with this company.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Clark    (USA)

Flew ORD-MIA on April 20th. The overall experience was very average. We flew American with miles, and because United's flights to South Florida are infrequent and poorly timed, and AA has a lot more options. All crew that I encountered didn't seem like they cared. The flight arrived on time, and bags were waiting that the carousel. The aircraft flown was a 737-800, and the seats were surprisingly comfortable. Wifi was very good, and it was only 7 or 8 dollars. The north terminal at Miami is very long, and if you are making a connection, allot extra time.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by B Wood    (USA)

I just took this trip, in fact I arrived back home last night. The trip out: went online to get boarding passes, had to choose my seats (two flights). I chose my seat for the first flight, no problem. Chose my seat for the second flight: $28 later, I had both boarding passes. Silly me, I expected when I bought my ticket, that I would have a seat, without paying extra, not so, I was in a so called "upgrade" seat, which I didn't ask for, nor did I want, but that was all that was left. I did not get anything extra for having paid for a so called "upgraded" seat. I had to do the same thing on the return trip. Also, you have to pay for your luggage. On the return trip, I purchased a sandwich for $9.99, which was most definitely the worst sandwich I have ever had. I will fly Southwest when in need of a flight, you purchase a fare from them, you not only have a seat, that you don't have to pay extra for, your first bag is free.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by K Noonan    (USA)

I normally fly Southwest exclusively - so you can imagine the culture shock when I found myself booked (by my company) on an American flight from SFO to JFK. The only thing I can say positively is that the food was really fantastic, quite unexpected for in-flight cuisine. The drinks also came very consistently. The crew were not unpleasant, but not quite up to the standards of the Southwest culture. And for a completely redesigned seat, the Business Class seat was the most uncomfortable thing I have endured. I am 5'1 so my feet never touched the floor. I tried every adjustment on the panel but nothing worked. Finally, I just used my provided pillow to stuff behind me to make my feet touch the floor. Between that and the leg rest I was able to get a little sleep on the way home. There was no indication of how to use the video screen in front of me or any explanation of how to operate the headphone (where the jack was located, etc.) or anything. I stopped flying American about 12 years ago and now I remember why.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Perovic    (USA)

JFK-LHR-JFK on BA, return on code share AA flight on a new 777-300, so, opportunity to compare the two airlines. The seats on AA far more comfortable than on BA, greater privacy with 1-2-1 configuration, free access without having to step over the neighboring passenger, plus all seats facing forward, something I never liked on BA set up with window seats facing backward. Inflight entertainment beats BA in every respect, screens double the size, appeared to be HD, greater choice of movies. Food was delicious, well presented, good choice of wines. Ice cream sundae elevated the meal to a guilty decadence. Overall great experience and highly recommended.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by M Comfort    (USA)

LAX to Phoenix. We were really unhappy with the customer service of American Airlines employees at LAX. We had a flight coming into LAX run really late, and were bumped to a later flight the next day. We arrived to the airport at 8.00, and our flight to Phoenix was departing at 9.25. I usually arrive to airports about 1.5 hours before a domestic flight and this is usually plenty of time. We checked in at the kiosk, but the computer would not print the bag tags. We grabbed an airline employee, who directed us to a baggage check line for others with issues with the printing. It was only four people deep so we were not too worried. After about 20 minutes, and the line had barely moved, we started to become nervous. We tried talking to a couple agents about taking our bags from us and sticking them on a later flight so we could still make it to our gate. They were all at the most apathetic, and kept telling us there was nothing they could do. By the time we finally got to the counter, we had been in line 45 minutes. There were two employees working this whole time, even though the process seemed to be incredibly slow. This inefficient system and lacking customer service caused us to miss our flight. Maybe I would think this was normal airline behavior, but we have flown with Alaskan airlines in LAX when a connecting flight caused us to come in late. Their employees were very helpful, took our bags and sent them on a later flight, and even pushed us through security to ensure we made the plane. In the end, I will never chose American again if I can help it.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by C Pink    (USA)

Upon checking in at my starting location, I was informed by the AA rep that my flight was being delayed an hour to leave for O'Hare, which was a problem as my connecting flight was to leave an hour and 10 minutes after arriving at O'Hare, which turned into one mess up after another, which would have had me reaching my final destination 2.5+ hrs after scheduled. I reached O'Hare (more delays) and eventually walked out of the airport and took a charter bus, reaching my destination before the flight even left Chicago! Avoid American Airlines travelers.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by C Lee    (USA)

MIA to LGA flight. It started with a mechanical problem with the plane's intercom, which they spent 2 hours trying to fix before looking for another plane. Another plane found, boarded and headed to the runway around 7pm. We waited on the runway for 1.5 hours because of "weather" (even though other flights on the same route were taking off), then told we had to go back to the gate. One flight attendant then got into a screaming match with a passenger (extremely unprofessional), while I waited with an upset baby for 15 minutes in the roasting hot gangway because they couldn't find anyone to bring up the gate-checked strollers. Finally the "weather" was okay to allow us to leave, but a new crew was needed, we finally left around 11.30pm. And then because LGA was closed, it landed at JFK instead. Nothing positive to say about this airline. To be avoided if at all possible.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by C Painter    (USA)

Business Class trip Tokyo to Dallas. Attendants were rude! It was 45 minutes after take off before we were given audio headsets and 45 minutes before landing they gathered them up. My husband's didn't work and it was a chore to get a replacement pair. We felt like we were intruding on their day! Beverage service was a joke. This was a 12 hour flight and we were given beverages 4 times. We flew first class on various Asian airlines and the service was excellent. I will not fly American again!

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by T Pomfret    (Australia)

I've been flying for over 30 years and I have never come close to missing a flight. In April 14 I travelled with American from Miami to Washington DC and their awful check in staff caused my group to miss our flight. There was a cut off check-in time of 9.13am and we arrived about 8.55am and were told not to go the counter but to use self- check-in. We did this and when it came to finalising the check-in the system cancelled our check-in. Again we went to the oh-so-friendly staff which said go to the counter as it will be quick and there is not queue. Went to the counter and by the time we had got through the queue we were 3 mins past our check-in time. The staff couldn't have carried less and just flat out refused to help even thigh it was their fault. We were told that we needed to book in 2hrs before the flight but not only was this not listed on our ticket but our pre-printed boarding passes had 9.13am. I've got no apologies form the company and was left with missing our afternoon in Washington.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

May 30 - AA90 daytime flight ORD-LHR. 767-300. Boarding delayed as 15 min before scheduled departure the plane was just coming to the gate. Gate agents were horrible - that is the only part of the trip that was bad. Flight boarded quickly and pilot apologized for the delay. Flight attendants in economy were really great - friendly and prompt to respond to requests. Breakfast was french toast and there was a lot of food provided - I was surprised as usually breakfasts on AA Int'l are small. 2 movies shown on the overhead monitors - this is where AA fails without excuse. These planes need AVOD in each seat - end of story - period. But the service made up for it. Left Chicago 45 min late - arrived London 15 min late. Bags were already there when we got out of immigration. Good flight and service. The Purser was amazing also - helping out in both cabins and very friendly.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Joe DiMartino    (USA)

American is the worst airline I have been on. I'm sitting in the plane after boarding in Chicago, having to de- board due to an oil leak, after 30 minutes waiting the maintenance have the all clear, took off then the pilot came over the speaker saying we need to turn back, land, and de-board again, switch gates, then it gets delayed for an hour after they told us there was an immediate plane waiting. By far the worst and stressful experience I have ever had. I will never fly with American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Colin Gorman    (UK)

LHR-DFW-SNA and return-first leg B773 very comfortable and on time, AA gave us an unexpected and unasked for complimentary upgrade to MCE (very much appreciated). FA's were excellent, second leg B738 was delayed by 2 hrs by storms at DFW scattering aircraft and crews everywhere, AA performed miracles getting crews together. Return was on new B738, no complaints whatsoever, everything to schedule however DFW-LHR on B772 was delayed approx 70 mins due to passengers trying to stow "hand luggage" larger than our hold luggage but again flight crew must've put the pedal to the metal as only arrived 15 mins late. Did not as one of life's great sleepers use the IFE on any legs and do not have any great expectations on airline food so wasn't disappointed.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Ann Brown    (UK)

We flew from Las Vegas to JFK New York on 23rd May this year with American Airlines, and we have never encountered such rude and unhelpful flight attendants. It was a 4.5 hour flight and they only came round with the drinks trolley once at the beginning of the flight, and when I asked for some water, was told that she wasn't there to run round after me! I was horrified, but told her that I would follow her down to the galley and get my own water, so she stormed off and brought me one back. The whole flight she was abrupt and rude. There were 6 of us in the party, on holiday in 3 separate cities in USA. That was the only one where we encountered rude and nasty staff.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by P Miller    (UK)

LHR-LAX. After reading about the new business class cabin on American's 777-300, we decided to book our trip with them. We made a great choice. At Heathrow, there is a separate 'flagship check in' outside the main terminal which was quick, calm and very quiet. The Admiral's Club at LHR is disappointing - more like a cafe/canteen with strip lighting. Anyway, once on board, the cabin was great - the seats are a winner with a real feeling of privacy, the screen is huge and there's a big choice of films, and the food was good. Crew warmed up after a while and responded well to all requests. The walk-up bar had loads of snacks and was topped up throughout. Flight was on time. Remote stand a bit of pain but I understand this is due to construction. Definitely recommend.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Matteo Bertoni    (Italy)

MXP-JFK return in economy. Boeing 767-300 was comfortable and silent, service just okay, seats cramped, food too limited for a long range flight both inbound and outbound. Inflight entertainment just OK. Asked for upgrading purchase on return flight at check-in and was told from AA lady at counter the price was USD 7000 one way - unbelievable what a joke! Avoid AA from Milan, fly Delta or Emirates.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Jose Montoya    (USA)

Boeing 777-300, GRU-JFK First Class. True waste of money or miles until crew's sense of premium service matches product. Last night First Class service in my flight was a joke : from the warm champagne to the traffic of crew members congregated in the service area, socializing quite loudly in the middle of the night; to the dirty wine glass. Unpleasant main dish and Breakfast service, so rushed that it felt as if it was coach. Do not seat in 2A as crew will bother you with the curtain hitting your seat every time they march between cabins (all night long). Great product, but substandard service. Stay in business.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Elsabe Fratti    (South Africa)

The food was ghastly. Dallas Fort Worth to London, breakfast was a measly white bread bun, bare on the tray (no plate or even plastic) with butter and cheese with a small tub of yoghurt and a small orange juice. The dinner chicken tasted awful. The service from the cabin staff was abrupt and short. Some hand wipes at meal times would be great as the toilets left much to be desired. Also, at meal times they would not remind passengers to put their chairbacks up, like the attendants on the other airlines I mostly use. I think Qatar Airways is doing itself a disservice by aligning with American Airlines on code share flights. I particularly booked with Qatar Airways as their service is always impeccable.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by F Khosrow    (USA)

If there was a way to rate this company's service to a score less than 1, I would do that. I booked my flight all confirmed connecting through Chicago. In Chicago, after a gate change, and an hour delay, they cancelled the flight to my destination. No options, no direction, just cancelled. Then, after 30 min on the call I talked to them for rebooking. Nothing available. I got someone at a kiosk to help and they booked me on a flight 2 DAYS later whereas I had to be at a conference the next morning. Needless to say that was not an option. I rented a car and drove 10 hours straight to my destination getting to my destination at 4am. Then it is time to get back home and they tell me they have canceled my return ticket because I did not complete my trip. No warning, no notification, nothing. Just cancelled. So I had to pay for another ticket to get back home. There were many people like me on that plane. People from across the world who couldn't even speak English and they were lost and confused. I ended up helping one of them. There is no excuse for this. This is the worst none customer service oriented company I have ever dealt with. Avoid this airline by all means even if you have to pay a little more to go with another airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by S Metrie    (Canada)

We flew Toronto to Chicago; paid almost $700 per ticket which was very expensive considering it was an 1.5 hour flight. When we booked the flight, we thought it was through WestJet as it was advertised that way, but in small writing at the bottom, it said operated by American Airlines, which we didn't see when we booked the flight, otherwise we wouldn't have booked it. We had a very bad experience with AA a few years ago and refused to book any more flights with them. This time, both flights were delayed. When returning, they had oversold, so my sister and I volunteered to take a later flight. That wasn't the issue. The issue was the incompetence of the staff; it took them an hour and a half to figure out how to give us our vouchers, which is ridiculous, because they told us we couldn't leave the gate until they gave us the voucher, so we couldn't even go and have dinner or anything. On top of that, the rep there kept saying she had no idea what she was doing and this was her first time doing vouchers - then get someone who knows what they're doing, rather than wasting an hour just trying to figure it out yourself, doesn't give us a lot of confidence in your abilities. Other issue was that they kept changing the gate to the flight (it was changed 4 times, no exaggeration), and when we would go up to the desk to make sure it was there, every person at the desk was extremely rude and one actually said to us "can't you read the monitor?" and when we explained that our ticket had a different number than what was on the monitor, they gave us a dirty look and said that what they had was right (it wasn't in the end, which is pathetic). it would be nice that if you were going to change the gates; at least inform people and let them know. Another minor thing was with the flight attendant, she was grabbing something from the bin above my sister, and her bag kept hitting my sister's head several times; and she wouldn't even apologize, even though she saw it happening; she just gave us a look like how dare you sit there and be in my way, when she was the one who was in our way. Very rude and terrible customer service. Will never fly again; I am not even going to use my voucher because that would mean I would have to travel again with this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Patricia Williams    (USA)

Was delayed out of DFW to SAT last night because, after a long (DFW) taxi to the runway for take off, we were informed that there was an issue with one of the computers. We were all curios as to why we got so close to being in the air before this "issue" was noticed - it is pretty obvious it wasn't Pilot error, they completey felt our pain, as did the flight attendants and gate workers. Of course, we were re-booking a whole (S80) plane so it was obvius that we would have to wait for a plane to dead head. Fortunately that didn't take too long and we were just 2 hours late getting into SAT. Cudos to Capt Smith and his first officer for getting us home safely, and the flight attendants that had to be dead on their feet, undoubtably they all had a very stressful evening.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by M Maples    (USA)

Hope to never fly American Airlines again. I Was flying from Wichita, KS to Dallas to my final destination Las Vegas on 5/18/2014. Our 3:00 flight was delayed by almost 3 hours. Things happen so that was not a big deal, how the situation was handled is my issue. All passengers with a connecting flight from Dallas was asked to stand in line, there were about 40 to 50 passengers in line. There 2 American Airlines Rep working the counters, needless to say they were very rude and short. They acted as if they were the one with the problem. They acted as if they did not care if the passengers found a connecting flight or not. I stood in line from approx 1:30 pm to 4:15pm, well over 2 hours. Each Rep spent an average of 20 to 30 minutes per customer. At 4:15 2 more Reps appeared from the back, however they did not have a clue what they were doing. The first guy told me that all Dallas flights were full and there was nothing available until the next morning and when I arrived in Dallas they would arrange for a hotel for the night. The person in line behind me; also going to Vegas was assisted by a different Rep who manage to find a flight for her and her 3 children. So I went back to the counter and spoke to a different Rep who was then able to find me a flight home that night. Needless to say this whole situation was very stressful and left a very bad reflection on American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 May 2014 by H Finch    (Canada)

First and last time I will fly AA. Was "bumped" off original flight without being asked just told "sorry you are now on next flight". Next flight was supposed to be in 35 mins. I told flight attendant that if the flight was late I would miss my connecting flight she said "sorry I don't make the rules". Gentleman beside me said he would gladly wait for next flight as he didn't have a connection to make. She said "no sorry". Of course the flight was delayed and I missed my connection in Chicago. Once in Chicago I was told the next available flight was the next morning and no hotel or food voucher would be provided as it was an "ATC" issue not a AA issue on why there was a delay. What is ATC I asked - Air Traffic Control. AA had lots of people "sleeping" in O'Hare airport and it really was sad when you see seniors in wheelchairs having to sleep in their wheelchair because the cot they received was too low to the floor for them to lay down. Then the kicker is at 4am security is yelling wake up, time to move along, sleep time is over, get moving. As I said first and last time I and many others will be travelling on AA.