American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by C Lee    (USA)

MIA to LGA flight. It started with a mechanical problem with the plane's intercom, which they spent 2 hours trying to fix before looking for another plane. Another plane found, boarded and headed to the runway around 7pm. We waited on the runway for 1.5 hours because of "weather" (even though other flights on the same route were taking off), then told we had to go back to the gate. One flight attendant then got into a screaming match with a passenger (extremely unprofessional), while I waited with an upset baby for 15 minutes in the roasting hot gangway because they couldn't find anyone to bring up the gate-checked strollers. Finally the "weather" was okay to allow us to leave, but a new crew was needed, we finally left around 11.30pm. And then because LGA was closed, it landed at JFK instead. Nothing positive to say about this airline. To be avoided if at all possible.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by C Painter    (USA)

Business Class trip Tokyo to Dallas. Attendants were rude! It was 45 minutes after take off before we were given audio headsets and 45 minutes before landing they gathered them up. My husband's didn't work and it was a chore to get a replacement pair. We felt like we were intruding on their day! Beverage service was a joke. This was a 12 hour flight and we were given beverages 4 times. We flew first class on various Asian airlines and the service was excellent. I will not fly American again!

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by T Pomfret    (Australia)

I've been flying for over 30 years and I have never come close to missing a flight. In April 14 I travelled with American from Miami to Washington DC and their awful check in staff caused my group to miss our flight. There was a cut off check-in time of 9.13am and we arrived about 8.55am and were told not to go the counter but to use self- check-in. We did this and when it came to finalising the check-in the system cancelled our check-in. Again we went to the oh-so-friendly staff which said go to the counter as it will be quick and there is not queue. Went to the counter and by the time we had got through the queue we were 3 mins past our check-in time. The staff couldn't have carried less and just flat out refused to help even thigh it was their fault. We were told that we needed to book in 2hrs before the flight but not only was this not listed on our ticket but our pre-printed boarding passes had 9.13am. I've got no apologies form the company and was left with missing our afternoon in Washington.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 June 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

May 30 - AA90 daytime flight ORD-LHR. 767-300. Boarding delayed as 15 min before scheduled departure the plane was just coming to the gate. Gate agents were horrible - that is the only part of the trip that was bad. Flight boarded quickly and pilot apologized for the delay. Flight attendants in economy were really great - friendly and prompt to respond to requests. Breakfast was french toast and there was a lot of food provided - I was surprised as usually breakfasts on AA Int'l are small. 2 movies shown on the overhead monitors - this is where AA fails without excuse. These planes need AVOD in each seat - end of story - period. But the service made up for it. Left Chicago 45 min late - arrived London 15 min late. Bags were already there when we got out of immigration. Good flight and service. The Purser was amazing also - helping out in both cabins and very friendly.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Joe DiMartino    (USA)

American is the worst airline I have been on. I'm sitting in the plane after boarding in Chicago, having to de- board due to an oil leak, after 30 minutes waiting the maintenance have the all clear, took off then the pilot came over the speaker saying we need to turn back, land, and de-board again, switch gates, then it gets delayed for an hour after they told us there was an immediate plane waiting. By far the worst and stressful experience I have ever had. I will never fly with American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Colin Gorman    (UK)

LHR-DFW-SNA and return-first leg B773 very comfortable and on time, AA gave us an unexpected and unasked for complimentary upgrade to MCE (very much appreciated). FA's were excellent, second leg B738 was delayed by 2 hrs by storms at DFW scattering aircraft and crews everywhere, AA performed miracles getting crews together. Return was on new B738, no complaints whatsoever, everything to schedule however DFW-LHR on B772 was delayed approx 70 mins due to passengers trying to stow "hand luggage" larger than our hold luggage but again flight crew must've put the pedal to the metal as only arrived 15 mins late. Did not as one of life's great sleepers use the IFE on any legs and do not have any great expectations on airline food so wasn't disappointed.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Ann Brown    (UK)

We flew from Las Vegas to JFK New York on 23rd May this year with American Airlines, and we have never encountered such rude and unhelpful flight attendants. It was a 4.5 hour flight and they only came round with the drinks trolley once at the beginning of the flight, and when I asked for some water, was told that she wasn't there to run round after me! I was horrified, but told her that I would follow her down to the galley and get my own water, so she stormed off and brought me one back. The whole flight she was abrupt and rude. There were 6 of us in the party, on holiday in 3 separate cities in USA. That was the only one where we encountered rude and nasty staff.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by P Miller    (UK)

LHR-LAX. After reading about the new business class cabin on American's 777-300, we decided to book our trip with them. We made a great choice. At Heathrow, there is a separate 'flagship check in' outside the main terminal which was quick, calm and very quiet. The Admiral's Club at LHR is disappointing - more like a cafe/canteen with strip lighting. Anyway, once on board, the cabin was great - the seats are a winner with a real feeling of privacy, the screen is huge and there's a big choice of films, and the food was good. Crew warmed up after a while and responded well to all requests. The walk-up bar had loads of snacks and was topped up throughout. Flight was on time. Remote stand a bit of pain but I understand this is due to construction. Definitely recommend.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Matteo Bertoni    (Italy)

MXP-JFK return in economy. Boeing 767-300 was comfortable and silent, service just okay, seats cramped, food too limited for a long range flight both inbound and outbound. Inflight entertainment just OK. Asked for upgrading purchase on return flight at check-in and was told from AA lady at counter the price was USD 7000 one way - unbelievable what a joke! Avoid AA from Milan, fly Delta or Emirates.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Jose Montoya    (USA)

Boeing 777-300, GRU-JFK First Class. True waste of money or miles until crew's sense of premium service matches product. Last night First Class service in my flight was a joke : from the warm champagne to the traffic of crew members congregated in the service area, socializing quite loudly in the middle of the night; to the dirty wine glass. Unpleasant main dish and Breakfast service, so rushed that it felt as if it was coach. Do not seat in 2A as crew will bother you with the curtain hitting your seat every time they march between cabins (all night long). Great product, but substandard service. Stay in business.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Elsabe Fratti    (South Africa)

The food was ghastly. Dallas Fort Worth to London, breakfast was a measly white bread bun, bare on the tray (no plate or even plastic) with butter and cheese with a small tub of yoghurt and a small orange juice. The dinner chicken tasted awful. The service from the cabin staff was abrupt and short. Some hand wipes at meal times would be great as the toilets left much to be desired. Also, at meal times they would not remind passengers to put their chairbacks up, like the attendants on the other airlines I mostly use. I think Qatar Airways is doing itself a disservice by aligning with American Airlines on code share flights. I particularly booked with Qatar Airways as their service is always impeccable.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 May 2014 by F Khosrow    (USA)

If there was a way to rate this company's service to a score less than 1, I would do that. I booked my flight all confirmed connecting through Chicago. In Chicago, after a gate change, and an hour delay, they cancelled the flight to my destination. No options, no direction, just cancelled. Then, after 30 min on the call I talked to them for rebooking. Nothing available. I got someone at a kiosk to help and they booked me on a flight 2 DAYS later whereas I had to be at a conference the next morning. Needless to say that was not an option. I rented a car and drove 10 hours straight to my destination getting to my destination at 4am. Then it is time to get back home and they tell me they have canceled my return ticket because I did not complete my trip. No warning, no notification, nothing. Just cancelled. So I had to pay for another ticket to get back home. There were many people like me on that plane. People from across the world who couldn't even speak English and they were lost and confused. I ended up helping one of them. There is no excuse for this. This is the worst none customer service oriented company I have ever dealt with. Avoid this airline by all means even if you have to pay a little more to go with another airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by S Metrie    (Canada)

We flew Toronto to Chicago; paid almost $700 per ticket which was very expensive considering it was an 1.5 hour flight. When we booked the flight, we thought it was through WestJet as it was advertised that way, but in small writing at the bottom, it said operated by American Airlines, which we didn't see when we booked the flight, otherwise we wouldn't have booked it. We had a very bad experience with AA a few years ago and refused to book any more flights with them. This time, both flights were delayed. When returning, they had oversold, so my sister and I volunteered to take a later flight. That wasn't the issue. The issue was the incompetence of the staff; it took them an hour and a half to figure out how to give us our vouchers, which is ridiculous, because they told us we couldn't leave the gate until they gave us the voucher, so we couldn't even go and have dinner or anything. On top of that, the rep there kept saying she had no idea what she was doing and this was her first time doing vouchers - then get someone who knows what they're doing, rather than wasting an hour just trying to figure it out yourself, doesn't give us a lot of confidence in your abilities. Other issue was that they kept changing the gate to the flight (it was changed 4 times, no exaggeration), and when we would go up to the desk to make sure it was there, every person at the desk was extremely rude and one actually said to us "can't you read the monitor?" and when we explained that our ticket had a different number than what was on the monitor, they gave us a dirty look and said that what they had was right (it wasn't in the end, which is pathetic). it would be nice that if you were going to change the gates; at least inform people and let them know. Another minor thing was with the flight attendant, she was grabbing something from the bin above my sister, and her bag kept hitting my sister's head several times; and she wouldn't even apologize, even though she saw it happening; she just gave us a look like how dare you sit there and be in my way, when she was the one who was in our way. Very rude and terrible customer service. Will never fly again; I am not even going to use my voucher because that would mean I would have to travel again with this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Patricia Williams    (USA)

Was delayed out of DFW to SAT last night because, after a long (DFW) taxi to the runway for take off, we were informed that there was an issue with one of the computers. We were all curios as to why we got so close to being in the air before this "issue" was noticed - it is pretty obvious it wasn't Pilot error, they completey felt our pain, as did the flight attendants and gate workers. Of course, we were re-booking a whole (S80) plane so it was obvius that we would have to wait for a plane to dead head. Fortunately that didn't take too long and we were just 2 hours late getting into SAT. Cudos to Capt Smith and his first officer for getting us home safely, and the flight attendants that had to be dead on their feet, undoubtably they all had a very stressful evening.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by M Maples    (USA)

Hope to never fly American Airlines again. I Was flying from Wichita, KS to Dallas to my final destination Las Vegas on 5/18/2014. Our 3:00 flight was delayed by almost 3 hours. Things happen so that was not a big deal, how the situation was handled is my issue. All passengers with a connecting flight from Dallas was asked to stand in line, there were about 40 to 50 passengers in line. There 2 American Airlines Rep working the counters, needless to say they were very rude and short. They acted as if they were the one with the problem. They acted as if they did not care if the passengers found a connecting flight or not. I stood in line from approx 1:30 pm to 4:15pm, well over 2 hours. Each Rep spent an average of 20 to 30 minutes per customer. At 4:15 2 more Reps appeared from the back, however they did not have a clue what they were doing. The first guy told me that all Dallas flights were full and there was nothing available until the next morning and when I arrived in Dallas they would arrange for a hotel for the night. The person in line behind me; also going to Vegas was assisted by a different Rep who manage to find a flight for her and her 3 children. So I went back to the counter and spoke to a different Rep who was then able to find me a flight home that night. Needless to say this whole situation was very stressful and left a very bad reflection on American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 May 2014 by H Finch    (Canada)

First and last time I will fly AA. Was "bumped" off original flight without being asked just told "sorry you are now on next flight". Next flight was supposed to be in 35 mins. I told flight attendant that if the flight was late I would miss my connecting flight she said "sorry I don't make the rules". Gentleman beside me said he would gladly wait for next flight as he didn't have a connection to make. She said "no sorry". Of course the flight was delayed and I missed my connection in Chicago. Once in Chicago I was told the next available flight was the next morning and no hotel or food voucher would be provided as it was an "ATC" issue not a AA issue on why there was a delay. What is ATC I asked - Air Traffic Control. AA had lots of people "sleeping" in O'Hare airport and it really was sad when you see seniors in wheelchairs having to sleep in their wheelchair because the cot they received was too low to the floor for them to lay down. Then the kicker is at 4am security is yelling wake up, time to move along, sleep time is over, get moving. As I said first and last time I and many others will be travelling on AA.