American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Jose Montoya    (USA)

AA1123, DFW-BOG and AA1122, BOG-DFW in brand new A319. I flew AA's inaugural flight DFW-BOG on Nov 21st (AA1123) and the experience was quite unique. This aircraft is very uncomfortable in all classes (Coach southbound: Seat 8D - Bulk Head aisle). With no space whatsoever to stretch the legs in what is supposed to be "Main Cabin Extra". In addition to how uncomfortable the space was, my seat was broken and when reported to the crew, they could have not look more disinterested in the matter. No offer for me to move elsewhere. The food was horrible but I personally believe people should not expect good meals on a plane so I did not care. Service, on the other hand was simply laughable. Returning BOG-DFW on Nov 24th, the check-in experience was such a demonstration of incompetence and bad manners by a counter supervisor, that a key-concierge extended to me a complementary upgrade to First Class (Seat 2A) without even asking for it. Within minutes I regretted the gracious gesture of this extremely classy and professional AA staff member: Seats in the second row of this two-rowed cabin do not recline more than a few cms. They just have no space in the back since they are literary placed against the wall separating both classes. I requested to be moved back to my emergency exit seat, but it was, obviously taken already. International Travelers: Be aware of the A319 on flights longer than 2 hours. The experience goes beyond the worse AA flight you may have had in years.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Chang Alvin    (Singapore)

Round trip between Miami (MIA) and Orlando (MCO). Short trips but poor service even from the check-in counters. Both the ground and cabin staff were not helpful with customers. They seriously need to undergo training in customer service. Cabin crew only appeared after 25% of customers boarded the aircraft. The website is misleading as at the time of booking, it states that there will be beverage services on board. However, the crew were non existent in the flights till arrival. I have travelled on similar short trips in Asia where customers were given drinks on board.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by B Michael    (USA)

Flew from BDL (Hartford CT) - Chicago O'Hare and then to Rome Italy. The first flight was by American Eagle and it was good, apart from being stuck on the tarmac because of heavy traffic in Chicago. The Chicago to Rome, Italy flight on the other hand was horrible. I ordered a vegetarian meal which they combined with vegan so I received no cheese, butter etc, my meal was small compared to my fellow cabin passengers. I flew in the main cabin extra which to me is worth every penny, extra leg room and small private cabin to a few passengers. My only other complaint is they left the movies on the entire flight when we all were trying to sleep! and of course their is no personal inset entertainment! stretch your neck and look at those overhead monitors!

American Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by J Clay    (UK)

21/11/2013 have just flown with AA, Manchester-JFK, my 1st and last with AA, the flight crew were the most unfriendly and unhelpful I have ever come across. The food was awful they did not take cash of any sort (GBP or DOLLARS) for drinks so it was lukewarm dish water they called tea, or water for the 7 hr flight. No back seat TV just aisle TV's that showed the most obscure film and TV show. There was no welcome aboard from the captain and no goodbye from the crew. All in all not a good start to our trip, I will NEVER fly with them again and would not recommend them.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by S Hancock    (UK)

Travelled to New York from Manchester in February 2012. Booked through BA but never again now that they have association with AA. Cramped flight, could only sleep with head on the seat tray. Will never book with BA again if they continue using these cramped planes. Felt like a plane that should only be used for a short haul flight. Previously flew to New York on a BA plane which was no comparison. Plenty of leg room, comfy seats, good food.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by Allison Jarrett    (Canada)

Flew from YYC-DFW-MIA-SJU. Flight from YYC-DFW was an old MD80 with not even shared TV's a 4 hour flight that was boring. But I liked the 2-3 configuration. Flight from DFW-MIA had shared TV's a new Boeing 757 with mood lighting but the flight attendants were rude. Flight from MIA-SJU a Boeing 737 really outdated and TV's were barley working with sound glitches. But no delays and we got to our final destination. I will never travel with American Airlines again unless they are very cheap.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 November 2013 by G Monahan    (Ireland)

Flew DUB-JFK return with AA. My first long haul trip with AA and probably my last. Flew Boeing 757 both legs, plane needs a complete refurbish. Flying transatlantic with aisle only TV screens in this day and age is laughable, particularly when they show a Disney film as the main feature to a plane full of adults. Flight crew were not remotely friendly on either leg and looked to be going through the motions. I paid for additional leg room in economy which was ok but due to cabin layout it still felt quite cramped. As average as airline food is, AA seem to have gone to great lengths to make it even worse. My overall impression of AA is of an airline that is light years behind other major transatlantic carriers such as British Airways, Lufthansa and Aer Lingus in terms of having a modern fleet, in flight entertainment, staff friendliness and overall cabin comfort and layout. From all of the inflight promos they aired, apparently "The New American is arriving", they might want to speed it up as I will not be flying with them again in a hurry.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2013 by Lauren Burdett    (Australia)

Used American Airlines for multiple flights around the West Coast of America. On almost all occasions we had issues checking in and on one occasion another Australian family was having similar issues. Check in was stressful because if was so lengthy. The staff at the check in and in flight were not overly helpful, polite or presented themselves to be very professional.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Simon Elkins    (USA)

LAX-BOS, 738. Newer 737-800 with drop down screens. I think they may have been showing TV shows or a movie for a bit. I had an early boarding group and the attendants had left their bags on the aisle seats in my row, so people could not sit down. They came back for their bags halfway into people boarding. By that time bins were already rather full, but rather than help people they just told them there was no space in rude tones. Understandably people were blocking the aisle, but they should have managed it earlier. Service was sufficient, but done with cold and rude attitude. Crew did not a knowledge you at all when we departed, we're too busy co-ordinating their own transport.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Michael Davies    (UK)

Honolulu to Los Angeles on Boeing 757 departing at 7.15am. We were on a 'One World' round the world trip in business class and this was, by a big margin, the worst leg of our trip. AA wouldn't let me check in online for some reason. Airport check in was a breeze with no queues, and priority lane through security. They wouldn't let us use the (empty) Admirals lounge as we were only One World Ruby and despite the ticket type and price. This was the only lounge we were denied admittance on the whole trip. Seat comfort ok but not brilliant legroom. Inflight catering very poor. A choice of a hot meal or cereal? On a decent airline, it would have been both. Run out of hot breakfasts by the time they reached us. How can an airline not load enough for everyone? We were a small cabin of 22 so what were the cost implications of having too many? Overhead screens showing a kids animated film. Great for economy perhaps, but First? They even asked us to close the window shades - but not many people did as no one was watching. Besides, we had a great view of the pacific ocean! Midway through the flight, they came round with warm nuts, and towards the end, a dessert. Odd catering! The staff however were efficient and friendly. We took off ahead of schedule and arrived 30 minutes early, one of the few positives. In conclusion, not a great flight but what did we expect from American? Without doubt the weak link in the One World team.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 November 2013 by Robin Garnsworthy    (Australia)

A trip from Lima Peru was one of the worst experiences ever. The staff were totally disorganised and unhelpful. The scheduled departure was at 11.30 PM but was delayed without any explanation whatsoever. Some guidelines were given around 12.30 PM and boarding started. but then stopped and we were left through the final security check but stopped from boarding the plane. An hour or so late the plane was boarded, we taxied to the runway and was advised there was a mechanical problem so back to the ramp. The captain said the problem fixed and out again and at 2.00 we were back at the ramp. As the airport was closed at 2.00 the flight was cancelled. By 4.30 PM after an totally disorganised proces were advised that we fly at 8.30 on a scheduled flight. We joined another confused line of people at 5.30 and were finally seats at the rear of the aircraft. There was total chaos from start to finish.. American must do better than this. I find it sad to see how one of the great airlines has lost the way in customer service.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by K Bailey    (UK)

I agree with another poster that it is such a shame BA has chosen to associate itself with AA. I first used them in March '13 to fly Manchester to Miami via JFK. Tatty old cramped plane, incredibly rude flight attendants, uncomfortable seats - we had paid for extra leg room seats and were really annoyed to find ourselves seated next to people who had been allocated the same seats free of charge - centre aisle tv's only fully visible if you were seated in an aisle seat. My partner and I just travelled with them again to JFK for a 4 day birthday celebration break - they are the only direct flight nowadays from Manchester else we wouldn't have touched them with a barge pole. Same tatty old cramped plane, flight attendants were considerably better than the previous year though seats even more uncomfortable than I remember and legroom non existant. Tv still in the centre aisle showing one film and then a loop fo utter rubbish and adverts. On arrival in NY first thing we did was to log on and pay 150 to upgrade to extra legroom seats for the return flight - guess what, the people sitting next to us on the plane had been allocated the same seats at no extra cost. Flight was delayed 2 hours leaving JFK and we were told it was due to 'curfews' at Manchester airport - absolute rubbish! We ended up arriving an hour late and then waited an hour for luggage. I should point out that I made this same flight a few years ago when it was operated by BA - no comparison, large roomy plane, loads of leg room, individual tv's with 2 films shown on each BA flight, pleasant attentive flight attendants. No matter what the cost and regardless of how many hours it adds on to our travel time, if we are ever fortunate enough to go to NY again, we will be going with BA via Heathrow.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by A Hone    (Spain)

JFK to BCN in Economy, I don't think the plane interior has been updated since the Olympics were in Barcelona. No personal TV screens, and they didn't even bother putting any movies on the ancient TV's in the middle of the planes. Uncomfortable worn down seats, broken headrests, crew who didn't flash one smile all flight and went about their job with no enthusiasm. I have flown this route a few times before and when I saw the plane at the gate in the nice new livery I thought I had scored a result, but walking on board reality soon hit, it was the same worn down interior as before. I cannot believe that such an airline gets away with providing such threadbare service in this day and age.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2013 by L Clutter    (USA)

I am an Executive Platinum member and fly 100,000 miles per year. American has become so cheap with everything over the past few years. From airline miles seats to VIP upgrades to flight attendants that couldn't care less about a passenger. Forget bout getting mileage seats on the new 777ER unless you pay double miles. American thinks this is something special and wants double the miles.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2013 by Mark Freyton    (UK)

London/Los Angeles/Honolulu/Miami First Class. I was excited about my first American Airlines Long Haul First Class experience especially as it was on the new 777-300 aircraft with the new Flagship Suite. The journey started badly because the Flagship Lounge at Terminal Three London is horrible, dreary decor, and uninteresting food and drinks. Terminal Three is terrible, and the gate area was like some third world flea pit with chaotic boarding procedures and not enough seats.The seat on board was good (though not as private as I would have liked), the crew were friendly and efficient but the product, i.e. food and drink was no better than business class. The whole product was not "special" enough to be a major airlines First class. No wine list and a selection of pretty cheap wine was poured in the galley not in the cabin. The domestic flights all on 757 aircraft were as expected, excellent cabin crews, and acceptable food offering, and all flights on time. I like AA domestically, but Internationally they just cannot compete with the likes of BA.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2013 by Ron Miller    (USA)

LHR - STL via DFW in First Class on the new 777-300 on Nov. 9th. The new plane is very comfortable and the food was delicious and the service wonderful. I have to admit though that even with the spacious new seats that the cabin seemed a bit cramped, much more so that the 777-200. That being said I couldn't help enjoying the new In Flight Entertainment system and the Wireless Internet connection. Onward to STL on an old MD-80 - again, very nice service, smiles all around.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by Lisa Bates    (USA)

On my recent flight from DFW to Frankfurt, I had possibly the worst flying experience of my travel experiences. The flight itself, being 10 hours, was not too bad, though there was nothing on the movie/tv list of interest. But I had a book, so no problem. The food was less than desirable, even by airline standards. There was adequate leg room in the seats, which was nice, and the seats seemed to be fairly new, but they were a bit hard, making them less comfortable than some. But the worst part of the flight was the attendants. During the pick-up of the first drink service, an attendant accidentally sent a cup of ice water splashing down my arm and leg. She apologized and went right on her way. It was a little jolt to get the ice water suddenly without expecting it, but no big deal. Then after dinner was served, and the coffee was being served, THE same attendant now poured hot coffee on me as she was filling someone's cup! I yelled out a little at the sudden temperature change, and she again just flippantly apologized and went right on her way. Fortunately I had a napkin to wipe up the coffee, and when I was offered coffee by the other attendant, I declined and said I did not appreciate having it poured on me. She was a bit huffy about it, and said it happens sometimes. As I sat there, smelling of coffee (fortunately I was wearing dark clothing!) I was thinking about previous travels. Never having had spills, but seeing it happen to others a few times, I remembered the attendant being very apologetic, wiping up the spill, etc. But this one seemed to act as though I was being ridiculous. I barely reacted, more so with the hot than the cold. But I did feel that they could offer me something the help wipe it off me. I thought it was extremely rude of them and shows the lack of professionalism that has crept in to the profession. It is one thing to have accidents, but they could show a little consideration.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by Tony Verghetta    (Canada)

YUL-MIA return. clean 737-800, fair seats although no personal screen, hence a not-so-interesting movie/tv show was aired for a 3+ hours trip. Cabin crew OK, far from excellence, they showed some passion on their daily duties. Only drinks provided once, no food or snacks, only for purchase, very high prices for low quality meals. On return flight English/French announcements to keep Quebecers happy and proud. As usual, late boarding, late departure, and late arrival. What it seems to me is that AA tends to choice and have their top routes with brand new planes, better crews and food options, and then you have the basic routes, such as this one, with normal crew, one drink per flight, no food, poor entertainment, to be compared as a low-low cost airline. On top of that, I had to pay my checked bag twice, for a 50 dollars extra, no wonder why I fly "light" with them when it's not for business. I would love to avoid AA in the future, but sometimes it's the only option around.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 November 2013 by G Poulson    (Canada)

Thanks American Airlines for settling our claim for our hotel room and then going above that by sending an additional set of vouchers and a small cash token to get our business back. Phoenix to Chicago but missed the plane due to the AA ticket system crashed leaving manual ticket issue only. Line up was 3 hours long with a lot of angry people. The agents kept their cool and finally got us on our way.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by L Roberts    (South Korea)

Round trip from Tokyo, to Austin TX and back to Tokyo. Flight from Tokyo to Texas was the most uncomfortable flight I have taken. Flight attendants were unprofessional and seemed to hate their jobs. After 7 hours of sitting (the fasten seat belt sign had not been turned off at all), my sister and I moved toward the lavatory to stretch our legs. A flight attendant quickly stopped us. She directed us back to our seats saying "can't you see the fasten seat belt sign is on? You need to have a seat." By the end of the flight my sister and I were parched as the drink service had not been around for quite some time. When others began asking for water the flight attendants acted annoyed. As for my return home the experience was even worse. I rushed to the AA counter and explained to the agent that I was late for my flight. She pointed to a desk for which there was a line and didn't even attempt to help me. After waiting in line I spoke with a manager who said he would check me in but that I would have to check my bag at the gate. Once again I was sent on my way and after cutting the line at security I was informed by TSA that the only way I could get my checked bag through was to have a "full open bag check". By that point I had missed my flight and TSA escorted me out of security. Told I could be re-routed on a flight leaving in an hour for $760 or I could wait for 2 days for the next flight for which I'd have to purchase a new ticket altogether! After paying the $760 I was sent with a "priority pass" to security this time. I made the flight just in time only to be delayed for an hour on the runway. I know I could have made my flight had the staff shown a little more sense of urgency and compassion for my situation. Obviously I will never fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by Philip Myers    (UK)

Outstanding. My first flight in business class on new 777-300 from LHR to DFW. Same excellent seat as Cathay. Really good service, from real people. Internet on the flight. Top performance from AA, much better than BA. Highly recommended. Even better if you can use BA First Class lounge at LHR.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by Sarah Alexander    (UK)

What a shame BA is in partnership with this poor quality airline.It means you get a good flight out with quality food and amenities and a poor flight back. Only good think about the flight was tail wind so it was mercifully shorter than planned, food was inedible, TV not working but I have to give it a star just for the review, staff abrasive when problems pointed out and asked me what they should do about it sarcastically I may add. If you have a choice don't choose AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2013 by M Charles    (Australia)

After flying American Airlines 737-800 first class which was satisfactory, I flew from New York to Paris on a Boeing 767-300. The aircraft itself was 25 years old but it had been refurbished so the cabin felt slightly more modern. We were delayed about half an hour due to mechanical problems. We took off and had a very nice meal. The cabin lights were then dimmed so I thought it was time to recline my seat which was supposed to turn into an angled flat bed. However when I pressed any of the seat control buttons, the seat kind of jolted and went bang! The seat was clearly broken and the flight attendants could not fix it. Eventually I just had to try and get to sleep fully upright. The seat itself felt only as wide as an economy seat with a larger armrest and more legroom. The flight attendant told as we could get a partial refund as she would tell the airline we had a broken seat. We were given a $50 voucher for American Airlines that expires in 12 months. I live in Australia and have no intention of going to America! This is unacceptable!

American Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2013 by C Diffin    (Australia)

LAX-NRT. Day flight to Tokyo aboard an old, 777. It is beyond me how AA is part of One World when their service standards are well below their partner airlines, Qantas, BA, etc. Old plane, untidy and totally unprofessional crew. Food was terrible, with little choice and almost 7 hours between meals. In flight entertainment is old and outdated with little choice. There is nothing good about this airline at all. First and last time flying internationally with them.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by M Charles    (Australia)

I flew from Seattle to Washington D.C via Chicago. I live in Australia and normally fly Qantas. I was quite disappointed with this flight. Firstly, business class passengers do not get access to the AA admirals club. After waiting at the gate for 2 hours due to a mechanical delay we boarded the 737-800. My seat was old and had stains on it. There was no footrest unlike Qantas' 737s. There was no entertainment either. The food was very nice and the staff were very friendly and kind. The blanket and pillow we were given was nice. Overall I believe Americans 737-800 business class is not particularly good but I would definitely choose AA over Delta or United.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by David Iles    (UK)

Miami - Los Angeles, 22 Oct 2013. Having booked in advance the cost of the first class ticket for a 5.5 hour flight was in my opinion very good value for money. Check in was easy and given our BA Sapphire status we made use of the AA lounge. Boarding was on time as was departure and the in flight service provided by the cabin crew excellent. IFE was via tablet offered soon after take off. Food and drink service was also very good. Overall a very positive experience with AA on this trip.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 November 2013 by B Macdonald    (UK)

Flew from Chicago to Manchester on Oct 31st 2013, quite the worst flight we've ever taken. The plane was a Boeing 767 so obsolete ashtrays and minimal leg room. There were no seat back screens and very few TV screens which could be blocked as people stood or moved. You couldn't watch the films unless you had your own ear phones or were prepared to pay $5 to buy some. The only alcoholic drinks which were free were wine and beer. I got a bottle of Chardonnay, even though I specified any white wine except this which closely resembled paint stripper! My husband asked for two beers, but was told very abruptly that he could have one at a time only! We were made to feel like a couple of out of control alcoholics! Meal choices were chicken, or pasta. I chose chicken, but got pasta. When another Steward came along I asked for it to be changed. He responded rudely, I didn't serve it! The flight was extremely bumpy, due to turbulence and liquids were spilled. There was no pilot announcement to reassure, explain or apologise, in fact very little information was offered from the flight deck. The cabin staff were extremely brusque, seemed to want to get the service to customers bit over and done with as fast as possible in order to sit and chat amongst themselves. When we landed no crew member spoke to us at the exit door. To sum up I would describe this airline as 'Aeroflot without the frills'. Will avoid in future.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 November 2013 by K Toepfer    (USA)

Was bumped from a cancelled United flight and booked on an American flight FAT-LAX-HNL. Our trip between Los Angeles and Honolulu was first class. I just want to say that American's flight attendants did an excellent job! We were frustrated with the delays United had caused us so we were already approaching the trip somewhat crabby. American's flight attendants were attentive without being a pain, the seats, blankets and pillows were all very comfortable. The inflight meal was great (served in 3 courses). Beverages were great and all service items were picked up immediately when finished. It really turned around a day that had a very bad start thanks to United. We were glad we got to see American's first class service and compare it to United's. We will be seeking American flights in the future!

American Airlines Customer review :  30 October 2013 by K Lim    (USA)

October 28, 2013. Miami to San Francisco. AA 275. Boeing 757 very old aircraft with no IFE. Only monitor screens every few rows. Only beverages served for the almost six hour flight with food for purchase. Two flight attendants in Main Cabin were very nice. The one female cabin crew serving First Class cabin was extremely rude. She was the one sitting in the crew jump seat in front of Row 9, first row in the Main Cabin. One suggestion to AA, please let passengers pre purchase food during reservation to save on wasted food and to make sure all passengers have the opportunity to purchase something to eat especially on long transcontinental flights.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2013 by David Passmore    (UK)

LAX-HNL-LAX Economy. This airline offers a LCC service at a full service airline cost. Thankfully I had exit rows, however, that had its disadvantages. On the outbound flight there was a continuous queue for the toilet which was located directly in front of my seat and passengers decided it was a good idea to stand directly in front of where I was seated. For a six hour flight, a soft drink was offered and that was it. The crew were woeful on the outbound flight and once they served the pitiful offering shortly after take off, they were never to be seen until shortly before final approach. My concern that was during the flight, the Captain had switched on the seat belt sign on numerous occasions due to turbulence, however, many passengers totally disregarded this safety issue by walking around the cabin and more worryingly, cabin crew were nowhere to be seen to enforce the requirement. I have no issues with ignorant passengers risking themselves by ignoring a basic safety requirement, however, I do not see why I should also be placed at risk by passengers being thrown around a plane. On the inbound flight, due to my seat being located in the emergency exit, I was asked to board, place my luggage in the overhead locker, then deplane until all other passengers had boarded - while waiting on the air bridge after loading my hand luggage, two passengers actually handed me their boarding passes for checking thinking I was airline staff - Crazy! I only used AA to gain BA tier points and if I had a choice, I would certainly avoid this carrier in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2013 by Ronald Miller    (USA)

10/25, STL-LHR via DFW. Flight out of STL delayed because of an inflight flight attendant arriving late. Nice crew to DFW - seats a bit uncomfortable due to my height. On time departure to LHR - comfortable seats and a wonderful crew and good food. The international 1st class product is great even on the 777-200's - maybe not private but very nice indeed.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2013 by W Snellman    (Finland)

JFK-LHR on a brand new 777-300. I had seat 3J, which was frankly more comfortable than most business class seats on the transatlantic route . Thanks to the 1-2-1 layout the cabin was also very private and spacious. How some European airlines squeeze in 2-3-2 in J class is beyond me. Food and drinks service was very satisfactory and the flight attendant assigned to this section of the J cabin was incredibly professional and friendly. Even the purser from first was smiling and willing to assist when walking by. All in all a top notch experience by a new American.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 October 2013 by R Santos    (USA)

LAX-MIA return in First and Business. Flight out of LAX was on a B737-800 which wasn't clean and rushed to get out on time. The seats for a red are not comfortable at all and I don't know why they don't just combine the two red eyes and use better equipment. They served a light snack which was pretty good and then lights out, but the crew did make the rounds numerous times. Return was on a B777-200 that they re position so a much better experience in Business. Had an hour delay because of additional cargo and then fuel, but crew kept everyone well informed. Lunch was very good and the crew phenomenal. A very pleasant experience on AA and would definitely recommend them (other than the red eye).

American Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by C Craig    (UK)

LAX-SFO-LAX-MCO: 737-800s on all flights which were clean and tidy, AA in economy does feel like a no frills airline that said I have no real complaints. Check in at LAX and SFO quick, the lounge though which I had access to with my oneworld FF status is not on par with other OW airlines, but the flights were fine and on time if not early. The crew I found much better than my last trip on AA, their aircraft's were comfortable enough even on the overnight sector LAX-MCO I managed to sleep. I recently used 3 similar length flights on OW partner Malaysia Airlines the comparison in service is huge. But AA was fine.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by J Becker    (USA)

Flew from Chicago to JFK and had a great flight. The plane was not full (what a change) and the attendants encouraged us to move to different seats so we wouldn't be cramped. Very comfortable flight. Beverage service only, but to be expected these days. They did sell some liquor and food for cash only. Everybody was friendly, the flight was smooth. Went very well. Only negative was the cost, pretty pricey for such a short, popular route.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Russell Conyers    (Bermuda)

It's all about the cabin crew! Flew AA 308, 14 Oct in business class from MIA to BDA, B-737-800. One of the best flights - a very eager to please Purser and his female side kick went out of their way in a full cabin to please us, no need to ask for drinks on this quick 2 hour flight. Food top notch, cooked just right and not thrown at you, drinks topped up and all done in a cheerful yet professional manner. Even time for fresh baked cookies and tea or coffee before landing. Great experience!

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by N Berk    (USA)

Last minute flight to Puerto Rico. My husband is tall so we had to pay additional charges for extra leg room. was looking forward to movie but NBC fall lineup commercials were shown instead for the entire duration of the film. Peaked in to business class, and yes they were able to watch whatever they wanted. No movie, no snacks, paid extra for seats that were still uncomfortable. And yes, same thing coming back. This time they claimed the movie was "broken". Really? On all their flights? Nasty, rude airline staff, all of them.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Jason Kakapupuu    (UK)

Six sectors San Juan - JFK - LAX - Honolulu - Dallas - Miami - San Juan. All flights in First/Business. While AA may not offer a lot in economy we found their premium class to be excellent. Especially compared to European carriers 'business class' with the same seats as economy and the middle one blocked out. Proper First/Business seats. Accommodating flight attendants. And catering far superior to most other airlines short haul/domestic catering I have encountered in Europe. With the exception of our DFW-MIA flight (30min delay) every other flight was on time. A standout sector was transcon JFK-LAX in First. The food was far superior in what I was served in First class JFK-LHR on BA! Only area where I feel improvements could be made is free food in the lounges.

After flying from LAX to HNL on AA I returned HNL to DFW on AA102 in First Class in a spruced up B-767 with nice angled flat bed seats and a wonderful crew with great attitude. Really good meal beverage service and inflight entertainment - the trip took around 7 hours and I was able to sleep for quite some time. What a difference from the LAX-HNL flight. From now on I'll fly from east coast to DFW and take an AA wide bodied B767-300 to HNL-also I think the cabin crew are all international crew and just try a little harder.

I flew from LAX to HNL on AA267 the 20th of September in First Class seat 1b. In all my years of flying it must be in the top ten of worst flights possible. The plane was a single aisle old B-757! The lead purser just did not want to be there-she was ungroomed and she seemed to be chewing her cud. After the lacklustre meal service instead of turning off the overhead aisle light next to the galley, which kept me from sleeping she put a plastic galley box on the floor of the galley, took off her shoes and sat down on the floor reading a magazine.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by N Bourgois    (Australia)

Paris-New York, AA45, 23/09/13. New York-Paris, AA120, 30/09/13. They are simply dirty and unhygienic as they don't provide paper cover for the toilet seat! Never been in any airline that did not provide this basic hygienic items. Entertainment is pre historical and they only have screen above the corridor. Service non-existent, seat very small, very close to each other (and I am only 1.60m). Never again if I can avoid them, and they were not the cheapest anyway.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by B Michael    (USA)

Flew AA's "Flagship Service" between New York (JFK) and San Francisco. We were seated in Business Class on a 767. We used the Admiral's Club in JFK pre-flight. The lounge is fantastic - large, lots of seating, floor-to-ceiling views of the runways. Onboard, we had a lovely crew. They welcomed us onboard, thanked us for flying as we deplaned, offered a great service with lots of offers for refills and offered pre-departure beverages (which most AA crew don't do). The seats were comfortable, but were 1980s-style and very dirty. The seat in front of me had gum all over it. The aircraft doesn't have individual entertainment, so the crew offered Samsung tablets and Bose headsets. The tablets offer a decent selection of tv shows and movies. The food they offered was really poor for the price we paid ($1500 per person). It was no better than any other meal I've had in First Class on AA's other domestic routes - and this route is considered their premium route and is much more expensive. AA is retiring this 767 fleet soon. I wouldn't pay this amount of money to fly with them until the new aircraft come online. Shabby aircraft, poor food, wonderful crew.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 October 2013 by Dennis Stallbaumer    (USA)

On September 30th 2013 and October 7th 2013, my wife and I flew RT on AA from Kansas City to Montego Bay, Jamaica with stops in Dallas Fort Worth each leg. We purchased exit aisle seating for a substantial fee, of the 12 exit aisle seats, 8 were left unoccupied. After the plane was loaded and the door closed, customers who were seated in economy class asked to sit in the unoccupied seats even though they already had seats and were allowed to occupy these seats without paying for this service as we did. Upon returning to our final destination I requested a refund for the service we paid for which was given to the non-paying customers, and were denied. A follow up request was also abruptly denied. I will from now on search for flights to my destinations with all airlines except this airline, will even pay more for a comparable flight to my destination.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 October 2013 by W Osborn    (UK)

8th October 2013 I flew Dallas/Fort Worth to London in a 777, this was an experience I would not want to repeat. AA have taken economy travel to new heights for a long haul flight. The seat comfort was torture comparable to torture on the rack due to rock hard arm rests and uncomfortable seat, one up from a park bench, the pillow supplied was tiny and not fit for purpose. The headphones were disposable bits of rubbish of the insert into ear type which just fell out. I wear hearing aids so these were no use at all, I asked for over the ear type and was told none were available but I saw plenty in Business Class so I was unable to use the entertainment apart from staring at the flight map. When the supper came round I was horrified to find that the microwaved food had a torn top and the salad was open to the air, my wife's chicken meal was also torn open and was cold so could not have reached the required temp to kill bugs. The actual food quality was very poor. The breakfast consisted of a greasy squashed croissant, jam, artificial butter, a lurid coloured yoghurt and a frozen orange juice, all very unappetising. I must say that the cabin crew were well charming and well practised in fielding complaints.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Rebecca Johnson    (USA)

My husband I took a trip from Jacksonville FL to Marrakech Morocco Sept 15. Our first leg was on American Eagle - no problem with that leg. We then boarded the most antiquated and worn piece of aircraft we have been on in years! The crew (Flight 68) from Miami to Madrid was the most lack lustre non service oriented collection of folks that I have witnessed. Not even a wet nap towelette was offered to wash hands prior to the sorry meal service. No onboard entertainment was offered due to age of aircraft, the most we could due to strain to see the movie from rows of distance! Fortunately for us, Iberia flew us back from Madrid to the USA, the difference was amazing. The aircraft new, crew cared, and the trip was a breeze. I was actually ashamed of American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Jessica Bradley    (USA)

Round trip from San Diego, CA to Fort Worth, AR. $25 to Check-In any bag and that's just one way, it's going to cost me another $25 for the way home! If your traveling for more then 3 days it's almost impossible to pack just a carry on. The gentleman Checking Boarding Passes was rude and condescending. $17 for WiFi? 3 hr flight and not even so much as a bag of pretzels, you can get snacks as long as you want to pay $4 for them! Just Checked-in for our return flight home and the only seats available we had to purchase for an additional $37.99 each. Flight attendants were not warm or friendly. Our flight back home is tomorrow evening and I have the lowest of low expectations.

American Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Ivan Dzhur    (USA)

Flew last night from Chicago (ORD) to New York (LGA). Easy check in 24 hr. before the flight. Printed boarding cards at the airport. On board of MD80 aircraft new seats with decent legroom, beverage service and very kind and attentive cabin crew. Despite bad weather en-route arrived on time in LGA. Certainly will fly with them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 October 2013 by D Drew    (USA)

Flying Business Class to Basel Switzerland from Chicago. Last leg from Heathrow is a BA flight. After spending $6500 BA wants to charge $46 so you can reserve a seat. Called American, and they cannot service or support the flight they market and sell as an American Flight! Cannot check-in for the American flight unless you pay the seat assignment charge on the last BA leg! Absolutely amazing nickel and dime operation. Avoid all international flights on American unless they actually operate the flight as you will get NO customer service from American.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2013 by Luiz Bichara    (Brasil)

I flew the new 777 from Sao Paulo to JFK. The seat is very good, modern, functional and very large. Certainly the best in USA routes. It's really a new concept. But the service remains horrible. There's not a wine list in first class. To be worst, the steward ask me what I want to drink, and I answer red wine. Thus, he just came back with a glass. I did even have the chance to chose the wine. And, as far as I was inform lately, there's no other option, just a modest American cabernet. The food was also incompatible with first class. Package soup, a salad that tastes like ice and a miserable chicken. When we boarded, there is a print out advising all first class passengers that turn on bed service is available. But no one offers to do that. The point is: American Airlines flight attendants think they are doing some kind of favor to the clients!

American Airlines Customer review :  1 October 2013 by C Proudfoot    (Ireland)

Flew from DUB to JFK and return. Could not fault them in any way. We were lucky to be seated near the front of the aircraft which I believe has more leg room. Found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. Had no issues whatsoever with checked or carry on baggage. All in all a very pleasant trip and would have no hesitation flying American in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 October 2013 by Christine Vanzant    (USA)

Our flight to our destination was fine. The way home was a complete nightmare. We were delayed in Lawton, OK for 7 hours - after boarding the plane they had us all get off. We waited for 3 hours with no communication from the staff or flight crew. We of course missed our connecting flight in Dallas to Nashville. We were told it was due to weather so there was nothing they would do besides possibly recommend a hotel for us and hope there was space available. We later learned the delay was not due to weather but because of a vehicle wreck. We spent the night in the airport and the only people that were helpful was the staff at the USO. They fed us and provided blankets and pillows. We were not able to get a flight out until the next morning. We asked about our luggage and they said it went out on the previous flight so it would be in Nashville waiting on us. One of our three bags made it. I am currently sitting in the airport in hopes that our luggage is on the 2.50 flight that they told us it should be on. I will never fly American Airlines again. I understand things happen but they need to make sure the passengers are aware and a little friendliness goes a long way. Unfortunately, they will not be getting our business again.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 September 2013 by G Meyer    (USA)

Flew first class from Washington National to Portland, Oregon, via Chicago. Flight was supposed to be one-stop with no change of aircraft. Our scheduled aircraft, however, went mechanical, forcing a substitution of planes before leaving DC, and a change of planes in Chicago. Replacement plane from DC left one hour late, due to its own mechanical problems. In Chicago, our onward aircraft to Portland was further delayed due to mechanical problems. We ultimately arrived in Portland 3 hours late. Crew offered a cursory, but less than sincere apology for he delay. First class product was generally okay for a domestic flight. Seat on the 737 from Chicago to Portland was notably more spacious than the substituted MD80 from DC. Food wise, from DC to Chicago, a cold salad plate was served. On the Chicago-Portland flight, a smallish lunch was served (though with the delay, it was dinner-hour). Would have been nice if more food had been offered on this 4-hour flight. I still give 5-stars in the "Value for Money" category, since I paid for the one-way trip with miles. If I'd been cash-out-of-pocket for first class airfare, I might feel less generous. A final note: American's gate agents have become unnecessarily aggressive in enforcing the carry-on baggage size rules. In Chicago, as we were boarding with the first class group, the agent demanded that my wife squeeze her carry-on bag into the ridiculously small baggage size tester by the jetway. It fit, just barely. On the plane, the overheads were like blimp hangers. The carry-on fit in with loads of room to spare.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 September 2013 by I Haskell    (USA)

I was on a 3 hour flight from Dallas to New York at 5.45 and there was no food. They sold all the food in the first 3 rows. So at dinner time for 3 hours AA provided no food, whether you paid for it or not. The staff were apologetic, but said that American just did not purchase enough food for the flight. (It was full). The flights are always full, what did they expect at 6pm? This is an example of extremely poor planning. I think Delta and many other Airlines manage to feed their passengers. This is not very hard to figure out.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 September 2013 by Jane Care    (UK)

I will avoid at all costs in the future. Flew Albuquerque to Dallas (mechanical failure on next plane so delayed), Dallas to London Heathrow. Rude staff, awful food, mucky plane. So many people also in same frame of mind at Dallas airport. It appears that a majority of their aircraft have experienced 'mechanical failure' over the past few weeks, flights aborted, holidays ruined, they don't care as long as they have your money.

Earlier comments for American Airlines have been archived (ie. prior to the date of last comment above).