American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by A Tovar    (USA)

Traveled from Barcelona to NY, flight # 67 and paid $89 for what we believed were extra legroom seats. Seats were cramped, boarded last, no space in any nearby bins for hand luggage, plane was ancient, didn't even have individual air controls. AA states we booked 'preferred seats' which merely allowed us to choose our seats, for $89!

American Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Alexander Schober    (UAE)

I have flown MIA-JFK on an old B767-300. Flight was full. Seat very old, but comfortable and pitch was ok. Entertainment only through overhead screens. I was shocked that this aircraft had the new hatrack design only for premium cabins, Economy cabin still had the 90's hatrack design, which a) looks very old and b) does not have enough room for everyone. Only non-alcoholic drink service for this 2hr flight. Staff very unprofessional. There seems to be an inconsistency in their uniform. One female flight attendant was wearing - what seemed to be her personal apron that featured dozens of US flags next to each other. After landing in JFK we had to hold at a remote stand before our gate was available. As usual, passengesr were standing up and retrieving their bags from the overhead bins, despite the captain making an announcement to remain seated. No flight attendant took any action, only a Captain in American Airlines uniform travelling as a passenger made assertive requests for everyone to remain seated, to which everyone then complied. Also saw a male flight attendant making a call on his mobile phone during taxiing to the gate. Very unprofessional!

American Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2014 by Maria Gritsch    (USA)

Ghastly flight in First Class on AA, from PVG to LAX. The flight attendants were very nice. The seat was horrible. Uncomfortable. Had really poor leather padding, a very weird need to press a latch under the arm of the seat first in order to operate seat controls. When in the bed/sleep position, the seat had a bulging ridge in the middle hinge that made it impossible to lie on. There was no privacy because the seats had no enclosures or partial walls, just wide open so that all the lights, noise, smells of the cabin were omnipresent. Bad lighting, tiny hard to move video screen, dirty floor, cheap, broken plastic laminate console patched poorly with silicon putty, etc. It was like a really bad business class. Actually, I've flown several times in AA's sub marginal business class and as bad as they are, the seat padding is actually superior to the first class seats. Guess anyone who tolerates this service has never flown Cathay Pacific. Their biz class is outstanding. Every seat with an aisle, seats constructed to provide lots of privacy, good lighting, headphones, mirror, private cabinet, lots of room, really comfortable lie flat seat. I used 67.5 thousand miles for my lousy AA flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  22 January 2014 by T Smith    (USA)

American Airlines flight 940 on January 3 2014 in Economy from Santiago, Chile to Miami. No personal TV like most foreign airlines, no headphones available (only for sale), wine and beer for sale only, only one choice of meal, flight attendants who don't look presentable, no free copy of the Wall Street Journal or local business newspaper, no after dinner spirits, no ear plugs and eye shades and the seat pocket in front had trash from the previous passenger. The aircraft must have been one of the oldest I've flown in years. I will continue avoiding AA as much as I can.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 January 2014 by M Baughman    (USA)

Based on a 3 day trip from BWI-DFW-SFO-ORD-BWI in first class I was pleasantly surprised and see AA as a much improved airline. Even though the first flight was cancelled due to a mechanical problem, getting myself re-routed was painless though check in staff in BWI were not particularly helpful and if I did not have an app that showed me all my options I may not have had such a good experience. Two of the planes were new 737's, FA's were attentive and friendly but still professional (shocking in a US airline). They tried to remember passengers' names and one gets the sense that AA is studying the premier international airlines. Food was fine but not memorable. The AA hubs I passed through all had their own personality but there was a consistency. DFW was friendly, SFO professional and ORD a little gruff. The Admirals Club in each airport was good with very helpful, professional staff. There is not much food or entertainment, but that's not important to me in a domestic airport lounge. Reading other reviews I am reminded of my past experiences with AA, and I am hopeful that my experience was a harbinger.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 January 2014 by A Chick    (UK)

AA79, 30th Dec. AA50, 8th Jan. I flew AA to PHX from LHR via DFW. Had a 772 on the way out and a 77W on the way back, the internal flights were on an MD80. On all flights the service was excellent and on AA50 was quite outstanding. I was expecting very average flights but was hugely impressed with all aspects from start to finish. I would avoid row 1 on the 77W because on light invasion from the galley.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Charles Lacoste    (Australia)

ORD-LHR on 12/01/14 (QR 5288 - Qatar Airways code share). Flown AA many times, overall impression has never been wonderful - usually met expectations though. This flight however was a shocker. Clapped out 767. Old CRT screens from the 90's hanging from the ceilings. Each one in the cabin had a different colour tinge. Meals were ok, nothing to rave or complain about. Hostesses were surly with a bad attitude. Passenger next to my wife asked for a cup of coffee, and my wife very politely asked for a cup of tea as well. Hostess snapped that she couldn't remember two things at once. Very unimpressive crew, about as friendly as rattlesnakes.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by J Johnson    (USA)

Currently flying from Boston to Austin (via Dallas) on AA. Flights have been on time and aircraft condition is not bad. However, we are flying with our 3 year old twins who are actually very good travelers, and have found that AA is not family friendly at all. They do not offer any pre boarding for families with small children. We travel with carseats for the kids because we find that this keeps them calm and contained throughout the flight, a benefit for all on board, but this takes a few minutes for us to put into the seats when we get on the plane, and is incredibly difficult to do with many other travelers simultaneously boarding. So, when they oddly did not call families for pre boarding on this flight we went up to the front during one of the many other pre boarding categories (carrying our carseats and our tired kids walking) and asked if we could pre board. We were told that we could not, that others had paid for this service and we would have to wait on the side. We waited as instructed and when we got on we found that most of the plane had somehow already boarded, and it was extremely difficult to get set up. We got no offers of help from any staff members. This is the least family friendly airline we have ever flown, hope we won't ever have to fly it again - we fly a lot, even with the kids, will try to avoid AA in the future. Also, in flight entertainment was broken on our of our flights.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 January 2014 by R Dalgleish    (UK)

BCN-MIA on AA 113, 26 December in economy. Plane - 767 - dirty, scruffy and well used. No seat back screens and on the overhead screens the first film started before the crew handed out ear phones - they were too busy preparing their sleeping quarters. Food dismal and when I went to the galley to ask for some water I was told "Wait 10 minutes and we will be round". But the main issue was safety. No pre take off safety check and on landing 2 emergency exit rows I could see were full of luggage on the floor, the occupants on one had ear phones in and their Ipads on, window blinds were shut and all this less than 2 metres away from a steward. Disgraceful. The staff were the worst I have ever had and to top it all they took 3 days to deliver our luggage. Never again will I fly with American. If I could give a zero rating I would.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 January 2014 by R Dalgleish    (UK)

MIA-JFK on 7/1/2014 on AA 1510. As with my 2 previous reports dreadful staff who did no safety checks and again blinds down and some setbacks not up. A dismal, old dirty plane - 757 - which must have been 20-30 years old. No info provided prior to landing 're connections and when I asked how to get from T8 to T7, was told "ask in the terminal". I was so pleased that our final leg was with BA. And to cap it all American lost my Wife's luggage again. Why BA and other airlines have codeshare arrangements with this dismal, appalling airline is beyond me.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 January 2014 by R Dalgleish    (UK)

SKB-MIA, 27/12/2013 on AS 1009. Poor service with no safety checks on take off or landing. Luggage in emergency exit rows and blinds down. We landed 25 minutes early but then had to wait over 1 hour to hook on to the terminal. On dismantling (it was at night), all the lights went out. The crew did nothing, no torches at all and to cap it all they were laughing. AA never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 January 2014 by M Fadjar    (Spain)

MAD-DFW, Business: Every single aspect of the flight is mediocre and lagging well behind competition. Tatty 767-300ER with 90s interior (claustrophobic even in Business). Caution: if you assume that travelling Business means you can relax and board the last on this Madrid-Dallas route, you are in for a huge shock. All overhead compartments designed last century are not capable of storing vertically standard 22" hand carry and as a result they get filled quickly. Crew unhelpful, preferring to watch the chaos instead of assisting. Entertainment is only provided by Samsung Galaxy distributed by the Crew but at least the headset is high end (BOSE). Food is the only consolation, tasting above average. Did not check any luggage due to fear of losing it at DFW. And here is the final kicker: Admiral lounge at DFW gives you a coupon valid for one drink only, the very first time I was treated like a homeless at a Business Lounge. Avoid at all costs.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 January 2014 by M Blacher    (USA)

AA 57, LHR-MIA, 31 Dec. Inflight service in First Class seemed friendly enough, however, the food and beverage suffered by comparison with British Airways. AA serves Dewar's Scotch $20/litre, BA Johnnie Walker Blue Label $200/litre. But certainly AA seats, while older, were lie-flat and comfortable in comparable pods. Where AA fails wretchedly is on the ground, in baggage claim and in passing through security in Miami where there is no 'Fast Track' access to ongoing flights. For two years in a row, despite flying International First Class with baggage checked and tagged 'Priority' by the international departure airport, I waited nearly an hour for the bags in Miami with no American personnel in the baggage claim area to assist, and no out source baggage company access to American computers. The result is that a missed or delayed international arriving bag must be reported outside customs and security to AA's baggage service office, which does not have access to bags inside customs!

American Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by J Thorn    (Korea)

AA27, ICN to DFW. 20/12/2013. First off, Incheon Airport is a gem and it is easy access via express train from Seoul Station. On arrival at the check in we found a line that was moving along nicely. We arrived at the counter as a family of 3. I had a separate ticket as I was travelling back on a different date from my family. There was a hiccup with my ticket as they could not find the leg from DFW to AUS and we were travelling together. It took the check in lady quite a while to find it but we stood patiently as she was trying very hard. She finally had to give in and get a supervisor to help.All the while the other agents kept the line moving along and no one was stuck. The check in staff were all very apologetic and the supervisor finally found my ticket. She noticed that I am a Platinum level traveler and said that she would try to upgrade us all to Business Class. She was successful at it and we were given the upgrade. This made a huge difference as we were on our way home for Christmas and were not looking forward to that long flight in economy. The flight was 100% booked solid and not an empty seat was available. The staff were attentive and gracious. They went out of their way to ensure that our 12 year old son was comfortable and had plenty to eat and drink. Have to say that this was a very good experience from AA. Only drawback is that the entertainment system needs an upgrade. Screens are small and not a huge selection for an 11 hour flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Paula Loguda    (USA)

EWR-MIA-SXM. On first leg late arriving aircraft meant a delayed departure and a dirty plane. Flight was saved by excellent FA. Second leg late again, no pre departure beverage, uninterested FA/crew and filthy bathroom. Food service is rushed and fair at best.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by John Ryder    (UK)

Flew from McCarron (Vegas) to Chicago to Manchester (England). After delays Vegas to Chicago (because of snow) staff at Chicago did everything they possibly could to get us a flight to Manchester. Ended up flying on time due to their professionalism. Worked hard for all passengers. The cases were delivered next day, at least we were on time, and cases delivered to the house.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by A Siddiqui    (USA)

FRA to DFW on 1/10/14. Wife and children (well behaved and quiet) coming back home. No special meal request. Cabin crew went past them on two occasions, once during the beverage service and once during the meal service without stopping to ask if they wanted something to eat or drink. They were not even sleeping. Worse was when my wife called them back, the flight attendants acted all surprised that my wife and children actually wanted to eat or drink anything! Yes, on a 11 hour flight. Incredible.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Magda Milescu    (USA)

Trip from Hamilton, Bermuda - JFK-IND on January 2, 2014. Flight arrived at JFK at 10.40 am and supposed to take- off to IND at 3 pm. Without any announcement or explanation flight has been delayed until 8pm when snow storm started, then airplane was de-iced after which it returned to the gate and pilots left. Passengers were given alternative flights the next day - we got 2 tickets on Delta and told there are no vouchers for the delay. We booked on our own a hotel in NYC and next day all flights were still grounded. AA kept us on the phone for hours until we called Delta who changed the ticket for us and we flew the next day home.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by R Wan    (USA)

Flew from Recife Brazil to Miami. This airline continues to live up to their reputation that they have earned for being terrible. The check-in experience was such a demonstration of incompetence and bad manners by the counter staff. Both the ground and cabin staff were not helpful and rude. They seriously need to undergo training in customer service. They were 11 passengers in Business class cabin and they'd already run out of Beef and seafood by the time they asked me for my choice of food. The food was very bad. The seat was old and the entertainment system did work for some passengers. The staff disappeared by the time they take away the food.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by M Myers    (Jordan)

I travel internationally very frequently on business and holiday. My recent flights with American Airlines between London and New York were the worst in years. Rude, unhelpful ground staff, a website that wouldn't process seat selections, filthy planes, and truly disgusting bathrooms. Of the seven different airlines I travelled with in the last 2 months, American was the worst. The flight crew were also noisy and talked for hours during an overnight flight. I will not use them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by J Ashiblie    (Malaysia)

As part of a One World American Airlines codeshare with Malaysia Airlines, my family and I traveled on AA from West Palm Beach (B737-800), Chicago (B767-300 winglet), London, 2 Jan and was completely satisfied despite the delays due to weather in Chicago. 3.5 hours delay in West Palm Beach and another 2.5 hours delay in Chicago. Both flight were packed. The super friendly hospitality of their Cabin Crew made the journey pleasant. The breakfast prior to landing in London was made up of just one tiny croissant and a small cup of yoghurt. Their aircraft's are old and their IFE very ancient. Do not have a high expectation and you will be fine.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD-YYZ-LGA-ORD Jan 3-6. Flight out to Toronto was fine. Delayed a bit in Chicago but landed on-time. Flight attendants friendly and love AA's new E-175 jets. Return was on the day the huge freeze hit the Midwest. Morning flight to ORD cancelled and put on 9.15am flight. That was delayed a few times then cancelled. Went back to the ticket counter where the agent put me on the next available flight Tuesday night (36 hours later). I asked to be routed through NYC but she said I had to deal with the ExPlt desk for that. After 2 hours on hold for the ExPlt desk (completely ridiculous but with the storm issues expected) I got a friendly agent who booked me on the 12.55pm to LGA then Tuesday flight to Chicago. YYZ-LGA flight an hour late with only 8 passengers aboard. Great flight attendants - lots of humor. Landed in LGA and went to AA desk to see if there was any flight leaving for ORD that night. Only one was scheduled (6 cancelled) and she got me a seat in coach - was very happy. At the boarding gate got my upgrade by an excellent gate agent who had a fun attitude in dealing with all the craziness at the gate. Good flight to ORD - had a nice squash gnocchi and salad. Cookies offered also. Landed 15 min ahead of schedule as there were no planes landing at ORD. It was a bad weather period but I think AA did a good job.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by B Michaels    (USA)

Flew Business Class from Santiago, Chile, to Dallas/Ft Worth on a 777. I fly First and Business Class on airlines around the world, and I don't have a problem at all with these Biz Class seats and amenities. Even though the seats are angled and not lie-flat, I slept like a baby and found the different positions very comfortable. The IFE selection is minimal and not competitive with other airlines, but it was decent for the 9.5 hr flight - besides meal time and sleeping took up a big chunk of the flight anyway. Dinner was good, with the traditional AA sundae served at the end. This was an 11.10pm departure on an overnight flight, so the meal time is odd, but I was glad they offered full options. The crew were fine - your average, run-of-the-mill crew who have been flying for 40+ years. They don't make any effort to make the Biz Class experience special. AA service levels are average at best, and can't come close to what is offered with the international airlines. The Admirals Club in Santiago was crowded and food selection poor. Not recommended.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by Tony Russell    (UK)

PAN-MIA-LHR. This flight was delayed and delayed with no information forthcoming. We were eventually informed that it was due to a late incoming flight. The delay was so long that we were eventually told that the flight had to be cancelled because the crew were out of time and they did not have a replacement crew available. We were then told that we would be taken to a hotel room for the night and rescheduled for the next day. The staff did not follow this up with any action and eventually we found out why. They had miraculously found a replacement crew so the flight was back on. Even then, we were given the option of flying or staying in a hotel. By now the flight was 6 hours late. We were promised by AA staff that when we got to Miami, our onward flights would be rebooked and that there would be buses to take us to a Miami hotel for the night with transfers back to the airport. The flight to Miami was appalling, no hot food, surly crew. I was given two bags of nuts as a "comp." When we finally arrived at Miami, the ground staff were useless, one particular individual putting on the best display of passive aggression towards customers that I have ever seen. We were left to fend for ourselves. I got a taxi to a motel and paid my own way. Luckily, the hotel had a free airport shuttle the next day.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Lesley Kong ShunYukK    (USA)

I was at the priority check-in line for flight 169, LAS to NRT, scheduled departure 9.15am. I arrived 2 hours early, I thought the priority line should be fast, however I waited for 1 hour and was still waiting. From early morning there was only one 1st class counter opened, the 2nd one was opened at 8.15am. The line was very long, slow and chaotic. One agent tried to organize it so that the passengers waiting would not obstruct the walkway, she had to repeat the same message again and again to every passenger that joined the queue. What a waste of man power and inefficiency.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by M Delancey    (France)

CDG to JFK. Flight bought at the last minute at a very reasonable price. Of course you get what you pay for. The plane (B767) looks good from the outside (new painting). Inside, it's so old that I can't even remember the last time I've been in such an outdated plane. The overhead compartments were so small that even my bag pack could not fit in. No need to talk about inflight entertainment as there's barely any. It's just a few central screens with two movies played. The funniest is that business class seats apparently don't have inflight entertainment either as, before we landed, the crew mentioned that they would be collecting portable devices in business class. The seat was of course quite worn out and not that comfortable. At least the food was not that bad. I expected much worse after boarding the plane. Maybe it's because it was made in CDG but the pasta I ordered were tasty (even though the portion could have been bigger). What struck me was how non existent the flight attendants were during the flight. They showed up to bring the main meal and the snack before arrival in JFK and that's about it. AA had reserved the last three seats of the plane for them. Two of the FA's spent the flight on those seats while the third one remained hidden behind the curtain in the galley. You didn't feel welcome to ask for refreshments during the flight. Anyway, all in all, American clearly offers a substandard product. The worst product I've seen I think is that of US Airways. I can't imagine what the merger of the two will produce.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by B Wijesinghe    (USA)

DCA-LAX-DCA. 737-800. Outbound: Flight on time. Pre-ordered steak dinner was quite good. Staff efficient and reasonably friendly. Drinks service OK for flight length, with a mini pre-packed snack basket (sweets, chips, nuts, etc.) served closer to landing. Seat and entertainment system simply awful for so-called First Class, with no foot rest or individual video screens. Only a video via the ceiling mounted screens, and cheap earplug type headsets given free. This seat is not comfortable for a 5.5 hour flight. I hope the new seats that are advertised work better when these planes are retrofitted in the future. Inbound: Had access to the AA LAX Flagship Lounge (inside Admiral's Club) due to my OneWorld Emerald (BA Gold) status. Almost empty in the early morning, with a reasonable spread of food and drinks. Flight on time. Staff more friendly than the outbound flight. Pre-ordered omelette breakfast quite good. This aircraft had the new sky interior, but the same awful seats and entertainment. Looking forward to trying out new AA domestic seat and video products in the near future. Bags delivered slower than expected at DCA.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Michael Bone    (UK)

LHR - DLW - Reno. Major complaint is seat allocation. Booked flight for 6, including 2 children under 7, 6 months ago. Online checks appeared to show a group of 6 seats allocated together. At check in for return flight we were told that no allocation had been made and that only 3 groups of 2 seats were available. I thought that seating for family groups were a prime consideration. How naive of me. Other airlines such as Virgin can manage this simple task! DFW to Reno leg used an old Mcdonnell Douglas 80. In each direction the family were placed right at the rear where the engine noise was fearsome throughout the trip. Incidentally why not load the rear first to avoid the constant queuing to get on board and luggage stowed when loaded from the front?

American Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by James Beinart    (USA)

I was booked from JFK to GRU on AA 951 on Jan 3, 2014. American Airlines cancelled the flight without explanation and provided no alternatives. I scrambled to find a replacement flight on my own and got a seat on AA 919 from JFK to GRU the next day, Jan 4 2013. I checked in more than 3 hours prior to the flight and went to the gate, where staff were simply milling about. No boarding announcements, until one of the American Airlines staff said that "The plane (which had arrived a day earlier) was at the hanger" when it should have been at the gate. Time of departure was pushed back 30 minutes, then another 30 minutes, then another 30 minutes and so on, until it was 3 hrs late! As a result, we could not go anywhere, but had to stick around in case the flight suddenly started to board. When it was time to board, the famous rudeness of American Airlines staff reared its head. The gate staff started barking at passengers about boarding the aircraft efficiently. The head of the cabin crew made a similarly rude announcement that passengers should take their seats quickly. The only saving grace was I finally asked for an upgrade and got one. Still, even in a higher cabin, the service was poor by notoriously grumpy flight attendants. We landed several hours late in GRU and had to wait a long time for ground staff to bring the moving bridge to the plane! The only reason I stay with American Airlines is for the frequent flier miles.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by R Paterson    (USA)

RDU-LHR return in Y. Outbound check-in and bag check handled smoothly, no complaints. Boarding somewhat chaotic but this was mainly due to the layout of the gate area. Aircraft on this route are older 763s with no IFE but seats and toilets seemed in decent condition. Food decent enough and FAs - while not terribly friendly - were diligent about offering drinks. Entertainment was pretty miserable but what do you expect when you have no seatback system and have to rely on the overheads? Pretty laughable for an international leg. Return flight check- in at LHR was a breeze but boarding was infuriating! Pax with group 3/4 boarding passes rushing the gate during pre-boarding, gate attendants barely speaking above a whisper when announcing boarding groups. Really ridiculous. FAs on return flight much friendlier. Main Cabin Extra proved worthwhile as the legroom was plentiful. All in all, worth the competitive fare but not nearly at the standard of other nations' flag carriers.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by J Birbeck    (UK)

LHR-DFW-SJO, return via JFK. I set out with middling expectations of AA in economy and was pleasantly surprised. New 777 is great, seats a little narrow but what can you expect? Flights to and from SJO on old 757s but crew made both flights quite enjoyable. If only JKF immigration would work a little better. Everyone's experiences are always different but on this occasion, AA looked after us nicely.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by N James    (USA)

Recently landed from DFW-LAX-SFO. On my initial flight from DFW to SFO, most things in comparison were fine, however the quality of first class compared to Virgin is excessively disappointing. There were a lot more passengers in the first class then ever, the FA was running around endlessly, and even forgot to give us a cookie or even a snack with our drink. On the return trip the service was much better, but did not offer any pre-flight beverages. On the last leg, they even failed to grab my coat and hang it up for us. Overall Virgin America still has true First Class seats, the new AA first class are more like business class with amenities. The food is quote mediocre, but better then before.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by S Daniels    (USA)

AA hits a homerun with its new business class on the 777-300. They've entirely reinvented the AA business class experience with lie-flat seats in private pods. From JFK-LHR we experienced great food, good service and restful sleep. It beats the business class of many quality European and Asian airlines - and is the best among US airlines. Nice to see AA investing in its product.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by S Cook    (USA)

Wanted to fly from ORD to CLE and decided to take AA for the first time after having had bad experiences with them a few years ago. Flight was canceled 1 min before departure without any information and now have been waiting for 7 hours to get my bag returned. The ground staff are rude and unhelpful, if this is suppose to be the new American, as they advertise it, then I think they should over think their business model.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by K Mize    (USA)

I have read many negative reviews about American Airlines and was hesitant about booking my recent flight on them but due to the price of the ticket (flew first class) and the short notice of booking a flight over the holidays I chose them. Well I was very pleasantly surprised. All my flights (GNV-MIA-IAD) were on time. The flight attendants were friendly and very professional. The meals were good and the airplanes were modern and clean. I usually fly Delta but with such a pleasant experience on American I may reconsider who I book on future flights.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by C OBryant    (USA)

As noted in previous posts the American Airlines of today is in the midst of a steady decline. The AA of the 70's and 80's is now just a distant memory. This week I had my 17 year old on a flight from from ORF to DFW then to SGF. Easy connection and my son knows DFW very well and can get around pretty easily. While tracking the flight it was diverted to Charlotte. Reason was weather in DFW. Delay after delay now became a mechanical issue. So arrive DFW 2 hrs late. Needless to say he missed the connection and with Christmas there are no other seats the rest of the day until 9am the following morning. If I had not acted quickly and did some pleading with AA I was able to get him to XNA 7 hours late. So all in all AA is just nothing but a band of misfits and poor maintained aircraft. My son made it to XNA where a relative picked him up and delivered to SGF 2 hours away. Picked up bag next morning in SGF.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by P Cross    (Cayman Islands)

Cayman Islands to Las Vegas in December. Overall a good experience Flights on time and connection in Miami was quick. Service and food were both good. Individual entertainment at the seats will be a huge improvement over the clunky TV hanging from the cabin ceiling.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 December 2013 by T Chigaros    (USA)

AA1319, IND-LAX I'm an Executive Platinum with AA and they do treat me well. Flew out of IND on 12/26 on their fairly new non-stop to LAX in a Sky 737-800. Flight was packed. I was travelling with a small dog, a Christmas gift for my in-laws. The crew was great and the FC Senior FA was especially pleasant. AA's FC seating is very comfortable for Domestic flights and the seat recline version is a favorite of mine. I had pre-selected my dinner choice on line, it was provided, hot and tasty. Was hoping for a sundae but freshly baked cookies were served. If they can transfer their outstanding level of customer to US Air, they are going to have a mighty wonderful Domestic US carrier.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Chitre Ameya    (USA)

ORD-LAS Return. My wife and I recently made this trip with some friends. The flight out to LAS was on an old livery S80. I was in seat 30D which meant the engines were right next to me and it was some extremely noisy 4 hours. The MD80 economy seat is not the most comfortable. ORD was under considerable snow that day, and the de- icing truck broke down in front of our aircraft which delayed us going out. It was an extremely turbulent flight but the flight deck kept us in the loop the whole time. Flight back to ORD was on an old livery B738. Pushback was a few minutes ahead of schedule and overall a smooth flight until we got to ORD which was under snow again. This time we had a decent enough movie to watch and once again the flight deck was extremely interactive. Standard flight in terms of food and beverage. The FAs were smiling, very welcoming, warm and overall did a great job in taking care of the passengers.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by G Smith    (Australia)

It is almost laughable that AA is a part of Oneworld when the service standards of AA are not even close to its alliance partners. I flew LAX-NRT yesterday - disinterested and poorly-dressed cabin crew, small and uninspired meals and an entertainment system that could have been considered to be state of the art in 1990. Each time the fasten seat belt was on there were no safety announcements and passengers and crew wandering around the aircraft during turbulence. It was such a pleasure to board a Qantas aircraft for the remainder of my journey.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Jack Wright    (USA)

This airline continues to live up to their reputation that they have earned for being terrible. I arrived at my connecting flight 10 minutes early only to be greeting by the agent who says "we gave your seat away because you were late", then proceeds to close the door. I was 10 minutes before departure time! I am a Platinum customer! American knew I was coming. Being a customer, much less one with status, means nothing to American.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by Farouk Mogheth    (Czech Republic)

Had reservations for San Francisco - Miami and later on Miami - New York La Guardia on my 3 weeks USA tour. The SFO-MIA flight started badly where all passengers were standing in a long line 5am in the morning with no open check in counters and self-check in unresponsive. Some passengers overheard AA staff state that the flight will be delayed, however I saw that all was according to plan on all screens. Ground staff finally came and they denied any delays. Self check in either couldn't read the passport scans or simply loading into oblivion with an error message at the end. AA staff was more concerned only with payment for checked in baggage which for a non US passenger is considered unacceptable. Check in was chaotic to say the least and the First class counter looked even less organized. Only after everyone was checked in the flight jumped from 7am to 8am and in an hour the flight was delayed to 5.30pm! No explanation or apology. Only 1 agent handled the full flight rerouting people with onwards destinations but no interest in assisting any of the passengers who have Miami as their final stop. No apologies, no assistance, no accommodation, no food for a 10 hours delay! The afternoon flight was boarded on time on an ancient B757 that seemed to still have technical problems as we learned from the crew. We stayed on the tarmac for another 90 minutes. Plane old and showing its age with interior from the 80s and an inaudible flickering screen, leg room acceptable. Crew incredibly chatty amongst each other. Non visible cabin presence. Flight from Miami to New York, as well an ageing 737-800. As they again charge for checked in bags, all bring oversized bags onboard causing a less than civilized situation where there is NO space for all the bags, thus delays in checking those bags and taking them out of the cabin. Again no food onboard for a long flight. Will never consider this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 December 2013 by L Stokoe    (UK)

Will never fly with this airline again, just dreadful. Manchester to JFK and back, just one film each way, overhead TVs in the aisles not seatback. Poor food, terrible tea, coffee not much better, staff looked worn out and as if they wished they could be anywhere apart from working on those planes. Delayed 2 hours on the way back. Two hours sitting on the plane is no fun. Obviously no contingency plan there then! Next time I'll just fly to Heathrow and fly with Virgin.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 December 2013 by W Chauncey    (USA)

I have flown SFO-MIA-Ecuador and back 6 times the past 2 years. Although the staff can seem a little long in the tooth and sometimes just mean, I do appreciate the pilots. They seem to be a cut above the rest of the industry with those 757's.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 December 2013 by Martin White    (Malaysia)

Having just flown American Airlines for the first time from JFK to London Heathrow, I can honestly say AA are a contender for the worlds worst airline. From the state of the plane to the poor quality of the food, to a laughable 1970's entertainment system all compounded by a disinterested flight crew. As a regular intercontinental traveller used to flying airlines such as Emirates, Singapore, Qatar etc I was truly shocked by how bad AA really are. What made it funny was reading the CEO's editorial in the inflight magazine, his goal of being the worlds best carrier is a long way off.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by Carlos Moreno    (Canada)

My trip from Toronto to Bogota has not happened yet as the connecting flight from Toronto to Dallas was delayed due to mechanical problems based on what we were told and they did not allow us to board the flight. The AA reps had us wait in front of different counters for more than 5 hours without resolving anything to more than 20 people. In addition, they had to handle the receiving flights. The staff was rude and not friendly at all. I gave up and agreed to have my trip delayed by one day losing one entire day in my vacation plans. I hope today it will be different. I will never use this company for my business trips.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by K Ma    (UK)

LHR-LAX-LAS-LAX-OGG-LAX-LHR, Nov 28 to Dec 9. I had a 2-week trip to 3 destinations in America all on American Airlines. All 6 flights were punctual and flight attendants on all flights were polite and friendly especially the last 3 flights. The new business class seat in AA's 777-300ER is the most comfortable I've had. Slept very well on both flights between LHR and LAX. I was also satisfied with the unexpected angled flat bed business class seat on LAX-OGG-LAX flights in 767-300. Overall, I was very happy with their service and products. If AA ground staff can also deliver the same good services, then AA will become a true premium full service airline in America.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 December 2013 by J Ashiblie    (Malaysia)

My family and I traveled on AA from CDG (767-300) DFW (MD80) Sat 14 Dec and was completely satisfied. AA excel in two areas: 1) The super friendly hospitality of their Cabin Crew and 2) They provide meals that will fill you - their pizza prior to landing is sumptuous and most memorable. Their aircrafts are old and their IFE very ancient. So, if price is a factor (especially when traveling with family), they will deliver satisfaction. The game changer is when their fleet is replaced with the latest in IFE offerings!

American Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Robert Lanfrank    (USA)

To start with, my departing flight to Dallas was canceled due to bad weather. The AA rep couldn't have been less helpful. In addition when she re-routed me the new flights had no first class seats. Therefore I expected a refund to fly coach. They refused because I supposedly got a special rate, which was still more than double of the coach rate, and I was not eligible for a refund. On my flight home the first class section had no TV or movie and had nowhere to plug in my headphones to listen to music. My best advice is to fly United.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Caleb Rutter    (USA)

JFK (New York) to LAX (Los Angeles). We got at the airport, went straight through security which was extremely easy, then sat at the gate for a while. No delays. We were in seating group 2, which was extremely convenient. We got 2 seats next to each other. They let us use all electronic devices. The only in-flight entertainment was 12 radio stations and a couple of magazines, but it was a great, steady flight. The food was fine. They provided a breakfast sandwich with ham and cheese on a croissant. The staff were friendly and it was one of the best flying experiences I've had.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 December 2013 by Jon Norris    (USA)

Recently flew with American to and from Key West, FL. It seems overly obvious that this 'old' airline is staffed with employees who are looking forward to retiring. Late flights, unusual delays on the tarmac, fake smiles and just the feeling of being on a cattle car. The days of friendly flight attendants is but a fond memory.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 December 2013 by Mark Finke    (Bolivia)

AA 922 from La Paz (LPB) via Santa Cruz (VVI) to Miami. This flight is constantly delayed or even cancelled. Most of the time due to technical problems, which means that airline politics put cost control above performance and well above customer satisfaction. Always try to find a LAN flight before travelling with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 December 2013 by J Oben    (USA)

Thursday evening they cancelled my son's flight to DFW (due to weather), I held on the phone for 1.5 hours and even though he was flying as an unaccompanied minor and they could see I was on another flight to a foreign country at the time they wanted me to pick him up and take him back to the airport later. My friends husband came to the airport to take my son so he could then take him to his new 2pm flight. I waited in line at the airport I was flying out from for a gate agent to fill out the paperwork, pay the extra fee, etc. but no one was even at work at the gate. I have to fill out paperwork for my son, pay and still get to my own flight and through security. My son was put on a flight for that afternoon then makes it to Dallas. Today I come back to the country and when attempting to board my flight from MIA to DFW, I am told I can't take my bag on, that has already been on 4 American Flights since Friday. They called final boarding. She proceeded to tell me now I wouldn't be getting on that flight. The supervisor eventually put me on a standby flight for 6.50 am since I missed the 8.35 pm flight I was supposed to be on the night before. They told me I was welcome to sleep in the terminal. At this point I don't know if I'll get on the flight in the morning since I'm standby and they wouldn't assure me a seat.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 December 2013 by Davide Greco    (Italy)

Flew ORD-MIA last week onboard AA1252. First remark: I got a reward ticket using my AAdvantage points and I must say that, contrary to what happens with many other carriers, a free ticket with AA is really a free ticket as I paid only 2USD for taxes and that's something I really appreciate. Flying AA is a very basic experience though: plane was a B767-300 freshly re-painted but about 20 years old, even if the seat comfort is okay for a 3hour flight. No entertainment, just scattered small screens and no meal provided for free, just drinks. Having to pay USD 25 for checking your bag is something I really do not understand but it is a general policy of US carriers. Crew professional and quite friendly and a very talkative captain. Left and arrived on time with no mechanical problems happened as in the 50% of the AA flights I had flown in the past (total-10) so no complaints at all this time and I will consider to fly with them again for domestic flights in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by M McCarthy    (USA)

I am appalled by AA's ticket and baggage agents! Today my 76 year old Grandmother flew on an international flight from JFK to POS through MIA and from check-in to arrival was treated extremely poorly. This is a trip we have given her every year for the past 10+ years. But from check-in at JFK - the AA agents were rude and gave the impression as if we weren't worth the time. The trip began at 3am since her flight was scheduled to depart at 5.40am - I personally booked her round trip ticket and re-confirmed the requests for wheelchair service, an aisle seat and extra legroom days in advance. None of these requests were listed on her reservation and when we asked the agent if she could try to accommodate in any way, we were give very abrupt and snide no's. The wheelchair took 20 minutes to come. Baggage clerks - instead of checking her bags and placing them on the conveyor we were told that she had to carry them to the gate and place them on the conveyor herself as "they aren't paid to do so". Her transfer in MIA was exactly the same - no wheelchair assistance listed on the system and in order to make her connecting flight my Grandma had to walk a distance - from her arrival gate to the departure gate. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by Karen Clark    (Australia)

Chicago - Toronto - Miami - Las Vegas - Chicago Every flight we took left on time. All flights were full except for the Vegas -Chicago flight which was mostly empty making for a great flight. The service was as expected and the planes were all in good condition some were in fact very new. The in flight magazine is particularly good on this airline. I was very concerned about selecting this airline as there are so many bad reviews about delays but honestly I can say we had a wonderful experience flying with them.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD_DUS-FLR on AA/Air Berlin - 11/27, DUS-ORD on 12/8. Biz class full in both directions - I hope that continues as flying through DUS is a breeze compared to connecting at Heathrow. ORD-DUS, 767-300 - the flight attendant was the only let-down: she was friendly but wasn't too attentive and talked with other passengers about how she didn't like flying long haul and was at her tolerance limit after a 7-hour flight. If you don't like long-haul then don't work it - ridiculous. Food was good - I pre-ordered it online and that worked well. Purser was very friendly. Arrived 45 min ahead of schedule and did the easy connection to Air Berlin Q-400 to Florence. Nice flight and on-time. DUS-ORD, 767-300. Great flight attendant - friendly and attentive without being too in-your- face. Good food pre-ordered again online. Samsung Tablet is nice but again they don't put enough TV shows on it - you get one episode from the 1st season of a series. Overall I hope with the merger things keep getting better with FA attitudes. Good flights in general.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by Igor Fedichenia    (USA)

Flew from Seattle on December 3rd. Arriving to Chicago we have found that our flight AA4250 to Hartford has been canceled. The AA representative has claimed that it is because of weather, which was impossible to believe as practically all the flights to New England had been on time. We realized lately that they canceled it due to small amount of passengers. This is how American makes its money: they lure people with low price and convenient time and then cancel the flight when there is not enough passengers shifting the cost of the night stay, transportation and the rest to the customers. Shameful practice. Ultimately unreliable.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 December 2013 by Miro Cristiano    (Brazil)

Traveled one-way, moving back home, from Miami to Rio. They use the same ancient Boeing 767-300 that I used to fly 20 years ago on this route. There is, still, no individual screens in economy. Dinner was acceptable and the flight attendant even offered a repeat entree-without my asking! Breakfast before landing was a small, albeit a hot croissant with coffee and orange juice. Although we departed on-time, the arrival in Rio was late by almost 30 minutes-with no explanation from the crew. All in all, AA is not a bad airline: I just believe it has defined itself as a mediocre carrier. If it's cheap, I'd fly it again.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 December 2013 by L Blakley    (USA)

I would never have booked a flight with American Airlines had I known what a pain they are and how much they lack in customer service. I ended up taking the loss and canceling my flight to book with United Airlines. They don't have ridiculous change fees (200$ - more than my ticket cost) and they have people who actually care to help you and listen to what you say on the phone. American Airlines needs a serious makeover and judging from the hundreds of reviews previously posted saying similar things and not recommending the airline as well I am not the only one who thinks this.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 December 2013 by Selina Williams    (USA)

Had to cancel my trip because of American's multiple delays. They called awakening me at 3am advising my flight was delayed until 12pm from its original time of 7.15 am. I arrived at the airport to self check in for my boarding pass because I couldn't print online due to the change. There was one person servicing people for "self- check in" in one line. So if people needed to check bags they were in the same line as those who did not need to check bags and only needed to get to the kiosk to obtain the boarding pass. An American employee should have been there to redirect people who needed only boarding passes and have separate lines. I stood in line for 30 minutes to get to the kiosk and obtain my boarding pass with no bags to check. Service attendant appeared incompetent to other customers ahead of me. The service was very slow with no pleasant smiling faces. Further, I learned when I got to the gate that Flight 1202 again delayed another hour for 1 pm. Then I receive a voicemail that the flight again delayed until 5 pm and that I would arrive in Dallas 10.10 pm not to arrive in CT until Thursday at 12 noon. That was also not guaranteed. I needed to be in Hartford, CT by 8 am. Hence why I scheduled the flight for early morning departure the day before. While I received a refund I didn't make my conference. They offered no alternatives to get me to CT in time on Wednesday. They only offered me an overnight stay at DFW airport red eye at 1.25 am with no sleep for arrival at my conference at 12 noon more than 4 hours late for the conference. Every time I deal with American there is always something. I will not fly American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2013 by M James    (USA)

Flight that we were boarding in Denver arrived late, we only had 53 minutes of layover time before our next flight in Phoenix. The flight attendants at the gates were informed we 4 along with 16 other passengers were going to miss our connecting flight due to the late arrival. 16 people. When we arrived in Phoenix to my surprise our connecting flight departed on-time, we arrived 20 minutes late. 16 people late due to a late plane arrival/departure, nothing any one of us passengers could have prevented. Naturally we proceeded to the customer service desk. I received a 100$ voucher for a flight costing more than 500$, no food or drink? 16 of us disgruntled passengers slept in the airport. I will never fly them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Robert Rogers    (USA)

I flew to New York City last Monday and I sat in the front row of coach. I got a lot of legroom and felt like I was in first class. The staff were nice on this 738. The plane was delayed 1 hour due to a winter storm. The entertainment did not work so I used my tablet. I got to have a nice breakfast with dessert and I got free baggage because of the Advantage card from AA.

Earlier comments for American Airlines have been archived (ie. prior to the date of last comment above).