American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

Narita - LAX, June 25, First Class. A totally acceptable experience except for boarding and off loading. See my previous review for service comments. Boarding for a First class really needs an upgrade, first class passengers deserve more. LAX arrival was unacceptable. Remote gate (ok that happens) but first class passengers were herded onto a packed bus for the ride to terminal. Come on not even a special bus for first and business pax? Not a way to get or keep premium passengers.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Carey Brock    (USA)

June 15-19, supposed to depart from Knoxville to Dallas to Las Vegas but were made to drive from Knoxville to Nashville. Route ended up being Nashville to Dallas to Las Vegas and vice versa. Our flight was changed several times by the airline before departure date. On the date of departure we received an automated phone call 3 hours before take off notifying us that our plane was delayed 4 hours. This interfered with our connecting flight and there was not another flight that would have us reaching our destination until the next day. I contacted the airline immediately and they confirmed that if they re-routed us we could reach our destination. We agreed to this and proceeded to the airport. Upon arrival, we were unable to check in. An hour later it was discovered that when re-routing us the person had neglected to issue us a ticket and now our flight was over booked. Our only option was to drive 2.5 hours to another airport catch a flight there and then have 15 minutes between connecting flights that we were to try and get to the gate and board in time. Somehow, we managed to make it and made it to our destination. On our return trip, we again couldn't check in and had to see an attendant. Everyone we encountered was extremely rude and hateful. I will never fly American Airlines again.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by A Mather    (UK)

If you're looking for a company that will fly you in the least comfort at the highest price then look no further – you found it. It is inconceivable that American Airlines are still flying old planes with no individual entertainment systems on their transatlantic crossing and charging more than anyone else for the privilege. They didn't even show the film they advertised. We only flew from JFK to Buffalo (with a rival company), a flight of just over an hour and they had individual entertainment screens. To add insult to injury AA ran an ad telling us all how they are adding a new plane every week to their fleet! All I can say is watch out AA when Thomson starts flying the Dreamliner from Manchester to JFK in May 2015, I do not predict a very prosperous future for them.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Williams Mark    (UK)

LHR-MIA, 11 June, 777-300ER in Main Cabin Extra. I read a lot of complaints about American but it is an American airline serving American tastes. It has no desire to compete with the significantly better Asian and Mid East airlines and it would seem quite happy with its 3-star rating. So don't expect too much! Main cabin extra is excellent and as my husband is a permanent gold card holder, we were able to select these at no extra cost. The seats are wider and very comfortable. The extra legroom is a bonus. Everything else is as in economy. The IFE on the -300 is very swish with a large screen and huge content, a marked improvement over the -200 and the 767. I've always found that if you are nice to the staff they are nice in return and this was the case on this flight. The service was prompt and efficient, the food acceptable and staff were present throughout the flight. Take off and landing were about on time. Be nice, keep your expectations reasonable and its ok.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Walker Roy    (USA)

I booked a flight from LAX to Raleigh-Durham NC. 24 hours before the flight, I went on the AA web site to 'Check- in' and obtain my 'Boarding Pass'. When I selected the option to check-in, I was asked if I wanted to select a seat. I elected yes, and was presented which several options for only 'Paid Seats' at $86/per seat. Thinking there were no other options, I selected a seat and paid the $86 for both the departing and return trips. After making and paying $172 for seats, the web site asked if I wanted my boarding pass. I said yes, and I was offered the option for seat selections that required no extra fee. Feeling set-up, wondering why I was not offered options for all available seats from the beginning, I called the AA Customer service group and the agent informed me that they could not do anything about changing my seat to one that did not require an extra fee. I then wrote them to ask why I was lead into believing I could only purchase a seat when free seats were available, they simply said 'you made the decision to purchase the seat and therefore there is nothing that can do'. After this frustrating experience, on the outbound flight, I requested a 'bloody mary mix', just after the stewardess handed one to the stewardess covering the first class group. I was informed that they no longer had any more. Things on the return flight were equally as bad. I was unable to print a boarding pass - web message said my reservation had been cancelled. When I attempted to call the customer service group at 11.00 pm EDT, the auto attendant informed me that wait time to talk with an agent was 35 minutes. Needless to say, after these experiences, I will never fly this airline again.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Williams Mark    (UK)

MIA-LHR, 16 June, 777-200. Used miles to upgrade from economy. Call centre staff very helpful with this. Our flight didn't have enough upgrades available for both of us but she checked the next flight and found two. We paid a small extra charge to change flights in addition to the usual miles and co-pay but well worth it. We were originally returning on the -300, so a bit disappointed. The 2-3-2 configuration is now old hat, as are the seats. American made a big mistake not going for fully flat bed seats when they bought the -200 and the angle flat seats are very out of date. Having said that, they were very comfortable with huge legroom. The angle is not as bad as some I've been on though and I managed several hours sleep overnight. Lots of space and a bit of room for your bits and pieces. Service was rushed on takeoff, which I assume was because the flight left at 21.20 and they wanted to allow everyone to sleep as soon as possible. Lights were out before we asked for coffee and cognac but staff willing to continue serving us as long as were wanted. Staff were visible all night, as far as I could see. Be nice to the staff and they will usually be nice to you. Almost always works, as it did on this flight. Food was only average, certainly not what I expect for business class - grossly overcooked steak, destroyed broccoli thing and something else I couldn't identify. Breakfast was a lovely omelette but it came with another grossly overcooked and dry bit of steak. It was all well presented and served however, with good crockery, flatware and glass wine glasses. Interesting that they did trolley service rather than tray service I have previously had on American. IFE on the -200 is dated with a reasonable screen size but limited selection of movies. It broke down at the beginning of the flight and it took a very long reboot to get it going. Certainly not up to the standard on the -300. Bose noise-reducing headphones a great idea but they are collected an hour before landing. The map feature showing flight progress etc didn't work for the entire flight. American is not trying to be one of the significantly better Asian or Mid East airlines, so don't expect it to be. Keep expectations reasonable and you will likely enjoy the flight. I did.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 June 2014 by P Miller    (UK)

LAX-LHR. Business check-in at American's terminal at LAX is a joke. 1 person to check in everyone while 2 customer service agents hang around telling us 'they're going as fast as they can'. Security was in a tiny, airless room - I couldn't quite believe this was the entrance to the terminal. Once through, we passed the main, spacious security check-in - it was closed. At the Admirals Club, things started to look up: it's large, with friendly bartenders and table service for drinks. Surprised to be restricted to 2 drinks coupons though. I'm guessing it's because there are domestic passengers in the lounge too. The plane was at a remote stand so we had to take a bus out to it - this surprises me as you would have thought that LAX-LHR was a premium route and American would want to encourage passengers. On board, the cabin in business class on the 777-300 is exceptional - probably best across the Atlantic. Huge seats, comfy flat bed, great IFE, plenty of drinks and ok food. Cabin crew friendly enough. Easy to sleep on this plane. There was a delay due to a sick passenger on the incoming flight and then a minor maintenance issue - all the movies were on, so we drank and watched films. Breakfast was plentiful and really fresh. Sorry to get off at LHR!

American Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Andrew Westcott    (UK)

We have just completed a round trip from the UK to USA, two transatlantic flights and three internal flights. The first from London to Dallas was characterised by dreadful food, (lunch being served immediately after an early morning take-off!) with very unfriendly and ungracious staff. The second flight from Dallas to El Paso was delayed for an hour at El Paso where we sat on the tarmac for an hour in temperatures of c.110F because of a failed air conditioning unit. Offered not so much as a glass of water. The delay meant that the car hire desk we were using was closed at El Paso. The second internal flight was from El Paso to Phoenix. This time the flight was delayed because the 'pontoon bridge' attaching the plane to the terminal was broken. Again we sat on the tarmac, without refreshment. Again surly and uncooperative staff. We were sat at the back of the plane, when drinks were finally offered there was very little choice left and no time to enjoy them. The third flight from Las Vegas to New York was relatively uneventful, tho' with ungracious and charmless grumpy staff. The food on board was expensive, terrible and tasteless. The final flight was delayed more than 2 hours at take off and just under two hours at landing. No staff would tell us what was going on, the plane was changed and we were forced to split up our family seats and had to sit in different places on the plane. The food was inedible. Staff were not only surly but extremely rude. In all instances the planes were old, shabby and dirty with worn through upholstery and carpets, defective lavatories, inflight entertainment was broken, reading lights did not work, fresh air vents that would not open, or close and the worst cabin staff I have experienced.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

June 12, AA169, LAX-NRT, F Class. Nowadays one has quite high expectations for International First Class, while adequate American met none of those expectations. On all levels it met international business class standards and no more. Cabin crew was friendly but not very visible between meals. Better off in business on JAL, United, Singapore or even Delta. Quite a let down.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Melissa Banegas    (USA)

June 11 2014, flight 1322, Liberia Costa Rica to MIA. Worst experience ever! On our return, aircraft had an engine problem, delayed flight for 4 hours, missed connecting flight in MIA to NYC because of this issue. Arrived at MIA at 12am and next flight was at 6am, upon leaving same engine issue, flight delayed 2 more hours. On top of the fact that their aircraft's are not inspected they offer no food, not even a bag of chips and there's no wifi even though they say they provide it. I travel twice every year, will never fly with them again!

American Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by G Lieberman    (USA)

I just completed a multi city international round trip with American. 2 international flights and 3 domestic. So the international (from South America to Miami) was an overnight flight. The plane was old and the ceiling TVs stayed on all night. No sleep. All of my domestic flights were either delayed, re-routed or cancelled. The first, from Tampa to DFW was cancelled due to no oxygen. To top it off, at my final destination back in South America, one bag was delayed (hopefully not lost) as it was accidentally put on a LAN flight to Lima. 5 days later I am still waiting for it.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by H Anstock    (UK)

I flew from Manchester Airport to JFK in economy class. From the start the aircraft was very dated and did not smell particularly clean. The food was dull, unappetising and almost thrown at you by the staff, drinks were not offered except with the meal, I had to beg a member of staff for a bottle of water on the journey. The IFE was very poor, the TV was attached to the ceiling above the aisle, so from my window seat I couldn't see the full screen so didn't get any IFE. On the return journey the same 4 episodes of "Salvage Hunters" was shown on a loop so repeated 3 times during the 7 hour flight. The seats were uncomfortable and very cramped, on the return flight the passenger in front had his seat back which meant for a very claustrophobic journey. The most startling aspect to flying with American Airlines was the rudeness of the staff! I went to the toilet and an exiting a member of staff had started serving lunch, she kept shouting at me to not stand close to her (which I was not) and in the end marched me to my seat and demanded I "sit, now". On the return I had to plead for a drink, only to get a very aggressive member of staff thrust a can of juice at me before saying "now go sit down". After booking with BA I was disappointed to find AA codeshare and operate the flight as I was not prepared for the awful aircraft used, the lack of IFE, the poor quality food and the stunningly nasty approach by the cabin crew. Would never choose or recommend this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 June 2014 by M Dare    (USA)

We started in BWI with 4 delays totalling 4 hours. We finally made it to DFW and have been sitting on tarmac for almost a half hour now, just a perfect end to horrible trip with AA. Tried calling customer service with a seat issue before flight and the woman hung up on me. I actually got 2 voice messages on the first 2 delays. I will not fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by W Anderson    (USA)

We booked a quick weekend round trip from MIA to ORD and the trip went very well! We had requested wheelchair service both ways and they were on time and very professional. From the counter staff to the flight crew, Thank you for your professionalism and courtesy.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by B Fluhman    (USA)

Upon arrival at DFW airport, my flight was supposed to depart at 10.20 pm. The flight was delayed several times and finally canceled at 12.00 am. Hotels were not offered, the only option was to sleep in the airport. The next flight to my destination was scheduled for 7.30 am the following morning. At 7.20 am the next morning we learned that they had no pilot for the flight, delayed again. I am very dissatisfied with AA customer service and I will no longer be flying with this company.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Clark    (USA)

Flew ORD-MIA on April 20th. The overall experience was very average. We flew American with miles, and because United's flights to South Florida are infrequent and poorly timed, and AA has a lot more options. All crew that I encountered didn't seem like they cared. The flight arrived on time, and bags were waiting that the carousel. The aircraft flown was a 737-800, and the seats were surprisingly comfortable. Wifi was very good, and it was only 7 or 8 dollars. The north terminal at Miami is very long, and if you are making a connection, allot extra time.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by B Wood    (USA)

I just took this trip, in fact I arrived back home last night. The trip out: went online to get boarding passes, had to choose my seats (two flights). I chose my seat for the first flight, no problem. Chose my seat for the second flight: $28 later, I had both boarding passes. Silly me, I expected when I bought my ticket, that I would have a seat, without paying extra, not so, I was in a so called "upgrade" seat, which I didn't ask for, nor did I want, but that was all that was left. I did not get anything extra for having paid for a so called "upgraded" seat. I had to do the same thing on the return trip. Also, you have to pay for your luggage. On the return trip, I purchased a sandwich for $9.99, which was most definitely the worst sandwich I have ever had. I will fly Southwest when in need of a flight, you purchase a fare from them, you not only have a seat, that you don't have to pay extra for, your first bag is free.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by K Noonan    (USA)

I normally fly Southwest exclusively - so you can imagine the culture shock when I found myself booked (by my company) on an American flight from SFO to JFK. The only thing I can say positively is that the food was really fantastic, quite unexpected for in-flight cuisine. The drinks also came very consistently. The crew were not unpleasant, but not quite up to the standards of the Southwest culture. And for a completely redesigned seat, the Business Class seat was the most uncomfortable thing I have endured. I am 5'1 so my feet never touched the floor. I tried every adjustment on the panel but nothing worked. Finally, I just used my provided pillow to stuff behind me to make my feet touch the floor. Between that and the leg rest I was able to get a little sleep on the way home. There was no indication of how to use the video screen in front of me or any explanation of how to operate the headphone (where the jack was located, etc.) or anything. I stopped flying American about 12 years ago and now I remember why.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Perovic    (USA)

JFK-LHR-JFK on BA, return on code share AA flight on a new 777-300, so, opportunity to compare the two airlines. The seats on AA far more comfortable than on BA, greater privacy with 1-2-1 configuration, free access without having to step over the neighboring passenger, plus all seats facing forward, something I never liked on BA set up with window seats facing backward. Inflight entertainment beats BA in every respect, screens double the size, appeared to be HD, greater choice of movies. Food was delicious, well presented, good choice of wines. Ice cream sundae elevated the meal to a guilty decadence. Overall great experience and highly recommended.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by M Comfort    (USA)

LAX to Phoenix. We were really unhappy with the customer service of American Airlines employees at LAX. We had a flight coming into LAX run really late, and were bumped to a later flight the next day. We arrived to the airport at 8.00, and our flight to Phoenix was departing at 9.25. I usually arrive to airports about 1.5 hours before a domestic flight and this is usually plenty of time. We checked in at the kiosk, but the computer would not print the bag tags. We grabbed an airline employee, who directed us to a baggage check line for others with issues with the printing. It was only four people deep so we were not too worried. After about 20 minutes, and the line had barely moved, we started to become nervous. We tried talking to a couple agents about taking our bags from us and sticking them on a later flight so we could still make it to our gate. They were all at the most apathetic, and kept telling us there was nothing they could do. By the time we finally got to the counter, we had been in line 45 minutes. There were two employees working this whole time, even though the process seemed to be incredibly slow. This inefficient system and lacking customer service caused us to miss our flight. Maybe I would think this was normal airline behavior, but we have flown with Alaskan airlines in LAX when a connecting flight caused us to come in late. Their employees were very helpful, took our bags and sent them on a later flight, and even pushed us through security to ensure we made the plane. In the end, I will never chose American again if I can help it.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by C Pink    (USA)

Upon checking in at my starting location, I was informed by the AA rep that my flight was being delayed an hour to leave for O'Hare, which was a problem as my connecting flight was to leave an hour and 10 minutes after arriving at O'Hare, which turned into one mess up after another, which would have had me reaching my final destination 2.5+ hrs after scheduled. I reached O'Hare (more delays) and eventually walked out of the airport and took a charter bus, reaching my destination before the flight even left Chicago! Avoid American Airlines travelers.