American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Adlam Si    (USA)

Great flight from JFK back to LA. Great service that was friendly and professional. The new airbus was polished and the cabin smart. I actually got four hours sleep on the new flatbed. Pre drinks, meal service and the cookie and milk prior to landing was super nice and very much felt like service on there international routes when AA is on point. I have had nightmare crew on international flights like many reviewers have mentioned but AA really has made a substantial effort to compete on the NYC/LA route. Will fly them again and maybe try there first class product.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by D Hansen    (USA)

I was scheduled to leave on Thursday at 3:05 PM (august 28, 2014). I was called by American, and notified that my flight was delayed out of San Diego, so my connections would be missed. American then rescheduled me for a flight the following day at 8:30pm (over 29 hours after the departure date I had scheduled). I then called American and got them to put me on the original flight that was delayed and move my connecting flights. My plan was to just sleep in Chicago and fly from Chicago to London, and London to Nice the following day. After taking the original delayed flight, I got a hotel in Chicago for 200$ because the flight out the next day was not until 5:05pm. 5 hour delay on the flight from Chicago to London - over 2 hours were on-board sitting at the gate. I missed the connection from London to Nice, and they put me on another flight, which was also delayed 1 hour. I finally arrived in Nice over 24 hours later than the ticket I purchased. On the way back to San Diego, everything went smoothly except my luggage did not make one of my connections. I finally got them to deliver the bag 56 hours after I landed.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by T Lin    (USA)

Most frustrating travel experience, traveled from DC to Honolulu, trip planned paid for fewer stops and earlier arrival, leaving DCA boarded plane on time, then proceeded to sit on a boarded, full plane for 1.5 hours because there was an overlooked routine mechanical issue preventing the plane from regulating the cabin temperature. Missed connection, gave me a ticket including two stops and no talk of partial refund, just a condescending align. Fast forward 1 week and again we're delayed by 2hrs in Honolulu. If you value your time do not fly American airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Ben Weeks    (USA)

I don't fly with American Airlines much anymore but I flew them to Seattle for Thanksgiving, so flights were busy. I was in the very last row (row 32) of an MD-80 - it was noisy back there. My aunt was carrying our babies car seat which had food inside it, it dropped into the first class aisle and one of the FA's glared at us and said "you're dropping food!" I mean really, and she didn't even offer to help carry it? Fortunately a courteous passenger came and helped. Flight Attendant in coach was a lot nicer, she even gave us some food for free after she saw how stressed we were. Then the return flight was cancelled because they could not get the hangar door open, so American Airlines gave us some Hotel Vouchers. After getting back to the airport American Airlines gave us seats in First Class to make up for the bad night we had, free food with larger seats and more legroom was ok, but it was just not enough. We were tired and wanted to get home, after landing back in Charlotte we had to deal with riding a packed bus to get back to the Long Term parking lot. This was the most tiring trip I have ever had for a domestic flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Guy Selenski    (USA)

9/10 from West Palm Beach to SNA, 2.35pm, connection in Chicago, missed the 5.10 connection. Flight was delayed and missed connection - reason "it happens, traffic". When I miss my flight because of traffic American charges passengers, we should have vouchers for every time an Airlines misses timelines.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by W Coenik    (Australia)

Flew with AA on our internal flights in Economy Plus due to one of our team being Gold with Qantas. That little extra leg room makes the difference. They were all short flights of no more than 2 hours so not getting feed was not an issue. Check in was good and service was friendly. We had a 2 hour delay in Miami due to a fuel delivery issue that was affecting most of the airport not just our flight. They keep us well informed. We had to terminate one of our through flights in Chicago on our way to St Louis due to one of our team becoming ill. We went straight to check-in to advise them that we would not be continuing our flight to St Louis and they were unable to stop our bags from going to St Louis. But they did everything they could to return our bags to us. They put them on the first flight back to Chicago and delivered them to our hotel later than night. Great service. Overall, great flights and friendly service and excellent at returning our bags.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by S Timmons    (UK)

LHR-MIA-GRU and GRU-JFK. Very quiet plane and cheery crew London to Miami, Miami to Sao Paulo delayed about 90 minutes, and crew a bit more grumpy. But they were sunny by comparison with the miserable team who took us up from GRU to JFK - good job there was superb IFE on a brand new plane (with disco lighting) to make up for it. I don't the cardigans and ties at half-mast helped. Having said that, the AA/Oneworld staff at JFK did a great job in helping me transfer in about 30 minutes in order to catch a BA flight back to LHR.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by J Bacallado    (Spain)

Usually fly oneworld carriers. Last flight on American was a complete disaster. Boarded on time and it took 2 hrs before take off, no explanation given until we left the gate. Very old 757. They said maintenance. Still some FA appeared on board before departing. Once airborne, no service on a 4hr flight to SJU from JFK, only food for purchase. FA rude and not professional. Arrived very late. It took more than 45 min to get luggage.

American Airlines Customer review :  10 September 2014 by M Hesser    (USA)

SEA-DFW-MIA-MVD both ways flights. I had low expectations based on previous trips on this route with this airline. Even when the 767 airplanes they are using on the MIA-MVD route are old, beaten down and the business class seating is at the minimum acceptable level, the price matches what one can consider a "budget trip". However, I could smell unpleasant odors from the bathrooms both ways from MVD while seating on row 3 in business class. This may not be acceptable to any business class passenger, I must say. Also, I verified that bathrooms were not cleaned by the staff. Perhaps some disinfecting towels would do, passengers can clean the bathrooms by themselves, and help with the smell. Anything, but making your stomach revolt when having your dinner or breakfast in business class. I sincerely hope that American Airlines replace their aircraft on the MIA-MVD route as soon as possible with more suitable, modern aircraft.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by William Nelson    (USA)

Flt 986, St Thomas to Miami. ATC Delay in Miami (didn't tell us why but probably weather), not AA fault. Our aircraft left Miami for St Thomas, returned due to medical emergency, not AA fault. Aircraft arrived St Thomas and we departed 7.40pm (instead of 2.58pm), not AA fault. Arrived Miami and after 3 hours standing in line because, in spite of knowing the flight was delayed four hours, no one checked hotel room availability. We received meal vouchers for dinner ($12 and the restaurants were closed), voucher for hotel room (received at 2am, waited 35 minutes for a van to a Holiday Inn, had to be back at 5 to take advantage of the breakfast voucher, $6, before the 7.14am flight to Dallas). Try to buy dinner for $12 or breakfast for $6 at Miami international. While we were in line, no movement for over an hour because no one had checked room availability. Two attendants initially handling the entire rebooking for the flight. After over an hour, another showed up at an adjacent gate. Shortly, 'Denise' decided it was time for her to leave. She was 'supposed to leave twenty minutes ago". Extremely poor planning overall. Poor accommodation after the fact. This is becoming the typical customer service quality for American and is really disappointing.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A D Storey    (USA)

AA51, LHR - DFW in new 773. American have hit the bullseye! Excellent service and food from the crew. AVOD system has more movies than you can look at! The seat is extremely comfortable. Inflight bar area is a nice place to stretch and have a chat. Definitely look to fly on this plane again.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Chestnut    (USA)

LAX-DFW-ATL, AA2410, 1 Sep 14. S80 ancient aircraft. Very uncomfortable seats. Almost one-hour delay in DFW because of "broken-seat" paperwork. Delay in landing at ATL because we lost our gate. Slow baggage handling. Staying away from AA for a year or so.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by C Sanders    (UK)

We flew from Manchester to New York at the end of August, as a couple. We were surprised to be automatically allocated leg-room seats, by an emergency exit, at no extra cost. However, we were extremely surprised and disappointed to be on a very old plane (still old logo), and had no personal TV screens, for a long haul flight! I have never encountered this before. We could also barely see the shared TV screens. Only one film of two was shown. The air hostesses were distracted, tired looking and talking amongst themselves for much of the flight. It felt like an internal AA flight. All the same was exactly true for our return flight, but furthermore they could not seat us together, on our wedding anniversary. If this is how UK Manchester customers are treated (the same surely can't be true flying out of London!) then prices should reflect the poor service. Avoid AA if at all possible.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Tobing Ester    (Indonesia)

I flew early September 14 from Kuala Lumpur to Hartford, CT return. The quality was very uneven. From KL to Hartford, it was okay. On the long parts (KL to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Charlotte) we were given two meals and a snack. The meals were okay, but I was disappointed on the snack which was cookies and chocolate. Of course, no menu as with Etihad and Qatar. I know, I know, I chose the airline because of the low price. I was even more disappointed on the trip back. On the flight from Chicago to London, the seats and space were so tight, we could barely move. The plane looked old and shabby. It still had those communal TV!. Come on! On a 7-hour flight? Those things were so outdated! The flight from Heathrow was much better. It's the new A380. Still, food was not much better. By the way, flights from KL to Europe and Europe to KL were operated by Malaysian Airlines, but the ones from Europe to US and vice versa were by AA. Overall, I wouldn't recommend taking AA flying from Asia to US.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Bobby Giannakopoulos    (Canada)

LAS-DFW-LGA-YUL. All flights were smooth and on time. The service, the flight attendants and the seat comfort were fine, nothing special. The second leg it was full and it was a hassle before take off with all the carry on bags, the crew were asking passengers to collaborate by placing their smaller item under the front seat. This is what it happens when airlines charge for check in bags. You have to purchase the meal on board but the crew with a few smiles serves complimentary non alcoholic drinks. I found it weird when the crew were saying, "We know that you have a choice thank you for choosing us" during their announcements. I chose American Airlines simply because it offered a lower price despite the long trip I had to do. Overall this airline is not amazing but it's slightly better than some low cost airlines. I would fly with them if they offer a low price.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Tomos Buttress    (UK)

Brand new 773, lovely looking aircraft, clean interior but inferior product and service compared to alliance partner British Airways. 10 abreast seating is appalling for a long haul flight, no comfort, no headphones (this caught a lot of passengers out) cabin crew responded with "the company doesn't give us any!" - limited interaction with the passengers throughout flight. All in all very disappointing service with the "new American".

American Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Kiely    (USA)

After a 6 hour delay, originally attributed to a broken air conditioning component estimated to take "45 minutes" to fix, myself and several other passengers changed our tickets to another, later flight to the same destination. After being boarded on that second aircraft, we were informed that the "maintenance log had been removed from the aircraft and not returned as expected," so we would need to wait until it was located. Initially this appeared to be mere incompetence, but swiftly came to seem like subterfuge. Fully an hour later we have just been told there is a panel on our aircraft that has to be replaced. This is supposed to take 1 hour. Meanwhile, our original aircraft remains grounded without further explanation. As a passenger, I am apprehensive flying on aircraft in such poor repair, and moreover feel deceived repeatedly by gate agents and flight crew who are either misinformed themselves or deliberately trying to hide the sorry state of American's fleet. This will be my last flight on American, were I not attempting to attend a family wedding, I would deplane now.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Jonathan Prior    (USA)

Flew from DFW to LHR on a 777-200 with my seven year old daughter. This flight was completely full but was acceptable for a long haul flight. The crew were very nice and helpful with my daughter and made her feel at home on her first transatlantic flight. The food and beverage was quite good for economy. Coming back to the USA was an entirely different story. Flew from DUB-Chicago on an old outdated 767-300 that smelt bad and looked very worn. The carpet was dirty and so was the seats. Additionally, it was unacceptable to fly transatlantic with community video screens that appear to be running from a DVD setup with poor picture quality and sound. Again the crew was fantastic and treated my daughter extremely well and was very help with making arrangements to catch our next flight to Dallas even though we arrived over an hour late. Completing Customs and Immigration in Dublin saved us from missing out next flight. For the money paid the quality experience was unacceptable.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by G Lombardi    (UK)

Flight from London to Miami then Miami to La Paz. By far, the most disappointing flight we have had. The cabin crew were unbelievably rude, disinterested and unhelpful. We've had much better service with budget airlines. Thought it was ridiculous that people could reserve seats up to one year in advance. Our flights were booked by a tour company so we were unaware of this until a few days before and therefore left with disappointing seats on the way out to our honeymoon destination. Will not fly with American Airlines again.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Wood    (UK)

LHR to Miami return. Where to start. New logo - but old plane, old staff, old service. 'Turkey slider' in business class? Pre-formed mush. Surly, badly dressed cabin crew. One of them was chewing gum and playing Candy Crush when I went to the bathroom! AA lounges in LHR awful - compare that to BA or Virgin! Even worse, lounge in Miami - two vouchers for free drinks - for 4k? 13 year old 777 noisy , flat bed only goes down part way, and worst of all - no laptop power adapters available "We've stopped providing them"! Well, you know what, I've stopped using AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by A Arvin    (USA)

FCO-ORD. ORD-CMH Flew an ancient plane with no IFE with one shared TV. Seats were uncomfortable. Food was better this time around although the service was bad. The crew missed out serving several rows multiple times on the flight although they kept the drinks coming very frequent. One of the crew members stopped the food service for close to 10 minutes to continue speaking to a passenger about her family.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by R Simon    (Austria)

DFW-ABQ on Aug. 8 and return ABQ-DFW on Aug 15, both legs in First (due to upgrade) on an MD80. Flights nothing special, but OK given the limitations on US domestic flights - obviously older planes, but comfortable and cabins looked fresher than expected, so obviously well maintained/renovated. Catering in First for both 100 minute flights during meal hours was a pack of pretzels and full bar service. White wine on the evening flight to ABQ was warm Chardonnay. FA's were friendly and efficient on the on the flight to ABQ and rather uninterested on the flight back to DFW. Delay of 45 minutes on the flight to ABQ, but AA maintained that the flight will be on time until 15 minutes before the designated departure time, although a delay was obvious, as there was no plane at the gate, so slightly irritating bad communication. Return flight eventless and on time. So, nothing special, but no major problems, either. All in all a very average experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by C Millar    (UK)

Recently flew this airline transatlantic route from Dublin to Chicago. The experience was awful! The plane itself was so outdated and old fashioned. It had the screens that dropped down from the ceiling! However on the outward bound flight the crew announced they were not working. So I had a seven hour flight with no film . The crew all wore different uniforms which made them look shabby and unprofessional. I am used to flying European airlines like BA and Aer Lingus whose planes all have the modern personal screens etc and whose cabin crew look smart and professional. My advice is stay well away from AA. I will never again use this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Hilary Morgan    (USA)

Flight from Chicago to Cleveland cancelled for no reason. Put on standby, 4 flights and 10 hours later, with no help from gate attendants we fly into Cleveland. Flying out of Cleveland - flight cancelled night before, no reason given. Re-booked on earlier flight. Arrive at airport and, or course, we're not on the manifest. Staff member very rude. Clearly no one who works for American likes it or it's customers either. Since American had cancelled 3 flights the day before, they had nothing to do but put us on a United flight where we had to pay an extra $160 for baggage hat we would not have had to pay as our origin tickets were on Alaska Airlines. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by James Gohman    (USA)

American Airlines cancelled a flight with no warning, claimed weather related but on looking at radar for this flight path that was fabricated. They made no effort to notify by email or cell phone (had both). I found out about the canceled flight when I arrived at the gate with my boarding pass. This resulted in a 15 hour drive. My advice - find a different airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Ben Smith    (UK)

Flew out to Dallas from Heathrow in the new Boeing 777 which as a plane was okay and had good entertainment. They have a 343 layout which makes it cramped compared to a lot of other airlines I have flown with which have a 333 layout which feels more spacious. Some of the flight crew were quite unprofessional. One of them walking around with earphones in holding his iPod in his hand. Food was close to terrible. Returned on a Boeing 767 which had been painted on the outside to make it look modern but was like a museum on the inside. Old TV monitors hanging from the ceiling which showed one film on a nine hour flight which I couldn't watch as somebody had snapped off their headphone jack in my socket. Checked in really early but still sat apart. Food terrible again but flight crew a bit more professional this time. Have flown over 30 different airlines and I would say this airline is in the bottom 3.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Richard Callis    (Brazil)

GRU-JFK and JFK-LHR: American Main Cabin Extra. Exit seat on both flights. Excellent price, brand new planes. Greatly improved service, food improved. There are better airlines for premium service, nicer food but if you can make Platinum (50,000 miles a year) then this is for me unbeatable. Free Main Cabin Extra, Lounge Access, double miles, punctual flights on new planes.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by J Sendziak    (USA)

Was in Vegas, headed to Dallas. The weather had been bad that morning in Dallas. Contacted my husband about the weather when it came to my flight home, and the weather was clear. They had delayed our trip for 9 hours for no apparent reason, and had failed to inform us of this. They had delays due to weather early that morning, the flight coming from Dallas to Vegas was sitting at the airport, and wouldn't load their passengers. Waited around for 9 hours only to find out by 10 pm that night that the flight was cancelled and it was too late to get a hotel. The staff in Vegas were very rude and pretentious. They didn't care about any of the passengers, and were snappy when asked questions. I do not recommend this airline at all!

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by D Swarts    (USA)

This is a general review of American Airlines. Since 2000 I have flown with AA more than any other airline, racking up nearly 1 million miles, most in Economy, some in Economy Plus and some in First Class. Maybe it's because I have so much experience that little things and small delays do not phase me, but I have rarely had a problem so bad that I felt the need to contact AA customer service and I've never written a negative review. Yes, it would be nice to get a snack with your beverage like Delta gives, but I can bring my own package of cookies or peanuts if I want. And yes, the MD-80 aircraft does not have inflight entertainment, but they've had powerports on MD80s for a long time and then I've got a fully-charged laptop and smart phone to entertain me. Yes, I've run into weather delays in Chicago during the winter, which is why I connect through Dallas whenever possible. Yes, it would be nice if they would upgrade some of their gate areas with more power plugs and offer their gate agents some sort of incentives to be a little nicer with regular passengers and not just us elite passengers. And yes, sometimes they want more money for the same route as a competitor, and those are the times I book with another carrier. But throughout my near-million miles and 14 years flying AA I still recommend the airline to my friends and family to get them anywhere in the world they need to go safely, on time and for a reasonable cost.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by B Sharma    (USA)

I am not picky about the airlines and used to travel by the cheapest deals available. This time I took AA. Flying American Airlines was the worst experience for me. The planes were mostly old and run down. They took 2 hrs to fix the bolt and screws while flying to San Diego on flight AA 49. The staff especially at Dallas boarding desk was rude and changed my seat without an apology. Not only that see was upfront rude. Each flight were at least an hour or 2 late. There are definitely better options and I would not fly this airline again.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by A McCormick    (USA)

I was flying from Dublin to JFK NY on July 30, flight 291. I got the impression that serving the needs of the passengers was not a priority. I had reported to a flight attendant about some good amount of water sloshing around in the lavatory. It was slippery and the dirty liquid had got on my shoes and clothing. The flight attendant replied that she did not think the liquid was water and was not going to touch it. I do not understand why it could not have been mopped up. I think is was very inappropriate of the Airline to not train their flight attendants in mopping up unpleasant "spills" in the lavatories, and providing them the sanitary means of doing so. This was upsetting to me to have to use lavatories with unsanitary conditions on an airline! The American Airline website makes it very difficult to send a complaint to. I think this is very important for them to see this and to correct it. I gave the airline poor ratings and do not plan to fly it again.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by J Michaels    (USA)

Flew London Heathrow to JFK. Had transferred from Qatar from JNB-DOH-LHR. This was a bit like going from a fine Hotel (Qatar) to a cheap roadside motel (American). The American Business Class lounge/Admirals Club lounge at LHR beyond the new entrance is simply a dump. Old tired furniture, no charm or ambience, and an almost complete lack of any kind of decent food or snacks. I saw one tureen of dried up pasta, and some pretzels and 2-3 halves of white bread sandwiches. Self serve beverages were somewhat limited, with cheap brands of alcohol, and "spouts" on the wine bottles-a really low class touch. Although the roughly half full business does have a state of the art flat bed seat, with decent storage, the cabin service was dismal. Pre departure beverages were served in flimsy plastic glasses. Cabin staff attitude throughout the flight was casual and usually indifferent. I slept until approx. 1.5 hours before landing, missing the snack service. No a single member of the cabin crew offered to serve it to me later. The rear lavatories were devoid of any cosmetics, the forward lavatories were stocked. Of course, there were no flowers in the lavatories. Catering was adequate, the menu was a tiny card like affair, nothing like the elegant and extensive menu presented in a folder on Qatar. I am thoroughly convinced that flying on American, or any US Airline on long distance flights is wasting money and accepting poor treatment, and it makes more sense to choose non US airlines which offer their premium customers a much higher standard of service.