American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

American Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by B Wijesinghe    (USA)

DCA-DFW-SEA-DFW-IAD, B737-800, Coach Class for all four segments, 04/17 and 04/21. PROS: First Class check-in due to my One World Emerald Tier status; Flights on time, except for DFW-SEA that left the gate on time, but returned due to a mechanical problem that resulted in a delayed departure of an hour and arrival in SEA 40 minutes late. All planes clean, and either new or fairly new. Staff efficient, and most were quite friendly, except for one on the SEA-DFW segment who had an attitude problem. Snacks for sale on three of the four segments, and complimentary beverages served on all segments, seats comfortable except for DCA-DFW (see CONS). Baggage transferred efficiently, and delivered on the carousels at SEA and IAD very quickly, as they had One World priority tags. CONS: The Admiral's Club Lounges look nice with comfortable seats, but the free snack offerings at DFW were pitiful, DCA-DFW had a brand new plane with the new B737 sky interior and AA leather seats. This was outstanding, though sadly ruined by two awful boxes for the seat back video screens, anchored on both sides of the middle seat foot well. This was pathetic for legroom on even a three-hour flight; Any airline that can find a very compact version of this video control box is a winner! Overall, despite the many negative reviews that I have read recently about AA, I was very satisfied with this trip, and will definitely use them again. I didn't have high expectations for domestic AA service upon arrival at DCA on 04/17, but they actually did much better on the entire round-trip.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by J Kingston    (UK)

R/T SFO-JFK. Outbound in business, return in F. I think AA is doing a very good job with its Airbus 321 transcons in the premium classes. The seats are excellent both in C and in F. Indeed both are horiz lie flats. IFE is superb. Lots of choices, large HD screens, and Bose noise cancelling headphones supplied. Service was good in both directions. The food was a 7 on a scale of 10. My main criticism was the lunch in F. It unfortunately conveyed a sense of cut backs. Lounges at both ends were top notch, particularly the F lounge at JFK. That is not to say that SFO Admirals was bad. It is truly excellent, just that the F lounge is better. Overall, on these transcons AA has a quality product.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by Fred Davidson    (USA)

Wife and I booked a trip from Houston to see the son in West Palm Beach on 4/17/2015. Our flight was supposed to be one of the first that left that day so we were ate the airport very early. Check in was 4 am. Of all the flights in the entire airport, ours was delayed 2 hours. Why? Because they said it did not get in till late the previous day. Well, that delay messed up our connecting flight in Dallas-Fort Worth, so the day got worse and our total day was extended 6-7 hours. I understand that there are times when issues cannot be avoided but the airline booking personnel just didn't seem to care. We paid extra for the priority seating but they just threw us in the pool of last place seating until we got in their face. They did give us a meal voucher good for one of the vendors in the airport but only when we had to demand it. The pilot explained that there are rules of mandatory rest between flights which we understand but that news was known the previous day so why did we not get notified? The connecting flight was also delayed due to maintenance of passenger seats. For our return flight home, my wife and I were praying for no issues but American Airlines made sure that we would not go home happy. The flight from West Palm Beach to Dallas-Fort Worth was pretty routine in the air but flight was delayed leaving the airport due to some "auxiliary power" issue that maintenance had to remedy before take off. When we arrived in Dallas-Fort Worth, the powered boarding shute needed maintenance's attention before we could exit the plane into the terminal, so we had to wait for that fix. As luck would have it, our connecting flight was delayed another 1.5 hours! I will definitely find another airline before I choose this one again. The money you save does not justify the agony or grief this airline dishes out.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by V Jones    (USA)

I was scheduled to fly from DFW to HOU, Flight 5770, departing DFW 3.10pm, arriving in HOU. Instead, they notified us that there was no plane. We didn't have a plane to board until 5.30pm and the plane didn't depart until 6.20pm that evening. Over a 3 hour delay due to not having an available plane. Before we took off, the pilot notified us that due to weather they were going to have to take a more Western route and were not sure if they were going to have enough fuel. Instead of actually getting more fuel we took off anyway. 30 min into the flight they notified us that there was a line to land into HOU due to weather and that they didn't have enough fuel and needed to land in San Antonio. Not only did we not get into SA until 8pm, but the crew notified us that they had flown too many hours. So even if we did get more fuel, there was no crew to fly the plane. At this point we were stranded in San Antonio and the weather had become so bad in Houston there were no planes out. We were stranded. After 2 hrs waiting in line, the representative informed me I could not get back to Hobby until 7.30pm Monday. Monday, I flew back to DFW 1433 to catch another plane 1489 to get to IAH by 12 noon. I took a cab from IAH to Hobby where my car was at b/c this was a better option than waiting all day to get back home. Practically over 24 hours to fly from DFW to HOU. I am extremely dissatisfied with American that I will no longer be flying this airline. Even though American did supply meal vouchers and put us in a hotel, this is completely unacceptable.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by J Hayden    (USA)

I know American is now responsible for US Air so I will put my comments here. I had a 4 leg trip from Houston to Ashville through Charlotte. Tickets were cheaper flying out of Bush but I will go through Hobby next time. Every leg of trip was delayed, crowded or a rough ride. Seats were cramped. Snacks were to expensive. I checked my small bag to avoid the storage bin struggle. Our gate at Charlotte was doubled up for two flights from two major airports, the information on screens was not updated with delays and confusing. I will pay more and fly another airline or drive before I fly American (US Air).

American Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2015 by Alexander Sanchez-Lopez    (USA)

My family and I were traveling on March 27 on flight AA 238 from (DCA) Washington Ronald Reagan National, D.C. at 5.35 pm to (MIA) Miami International Airport. The airplane was old. We could see where the paint was chipped on the right wing. We had seats 15D, 15E, and 15F. The seat next to the window would not move back up after it was inclined back. We were landing and we pressed the button and could not get the seat to move back in an upright position. A male flight attention called my attention and I said I could not move it. He said that seats on American were more aesthetic than they are functional. The airplane lacked tray tables. Accordingly when served drinks, there was no place to put the drinks. Furthermore, not only were tray tables absent from this old plane, but even the lock to hold them in place was gone from the plane. The plane had not been properly cleaned before the flight and our flight was overbooked. The seats were very narrow, even though we paid for more better seats. My mother who is of normal weight and body proportions had difficulty getting in and out of it. Our earlier trip to Washington DC from Miami was on a newer plane and we didn't have these problems.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 April 2015 by S Gibbard    (UK)

8th April, AA57. Return on AA56. This was our first and last trip with AA. We were told we would be flying on the new AA planes. This simply was not true. Why should one pay the same price if you are going to fly on a dirty, broken old plane in business with a ridiculous 2 3 2 seating arrangement and the entertainment system broken. We will never fly AA again. They seriously need to up their game to compete with Emirates, Singapore etc.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 April 2015 by Steve Bryant    (USA)

This is a rough review because we flew first, business and coach. We usually fly coach but for a trip to Napa we used our points to go first class. The AA/United merger combined the worst two airlines in the Western world. Flew on 4/7 (260 / 193) - BAN-DFX-SAN. Service, food, seating excellent. Plane a little old and shaky but all in all a good flight. Returned 4/13 (193/5290) SAN-Charlotte-BNA. Although we had first class we were relegated to business with an accompanying drop in quality across the board. The trouble is the age of the planes - it's like something from a museum. The noise from the engine was so loud it was like sticking your head under the hood of a car. But for once all flights left on time without mechanical problems. We were closer to the real world of 95% of all travelers with tasteless food (a box handed out at the end of a 6 hour flight with a roll, candy bar and smoothy). Entertainment (quote unquote) was from attached, dirty, ancient screens for which AA would kindly sell earphones. I had my IPAD and kept busy while the Mrs tried to doze. Then at Charlotte it's Reality Time. We got bumped to economy (first row) but the constant groans reminded us that these "seats" were once used for unruly reform school students. That was in the 1940's since they were tiny, dirty, torn and stretched. The place looked filthy. A webbed shower curtain in several pieces separated "first class" (real classy) but they did manage to pass drinks to us in the cattle car. Yes, we are switching carriers to anyone who has bought a plane in the last 30 years.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 April 2015 by Vic Kaushal    (Canada)

AA flight 2891 on 19th Apr 2015. Flight was late 140 mins due to which I was sure to miss my next connection to Calgary. Technical faults do occur and are understandable. But the issue is, how rude and uncooperative the staff were. They had a permanent no for an answer for everything in a most unprofessional way. As a last resort, I was booked on same day from San Francisco to Calgary, as it was very important for me to be there in Calgary. I had to rush and take ground transportation from Sacramento to San Francisco and working out the next step as I was moving ahead. Forget help, no guidance was provided on how I can get to SF airport. Would have accepted same sequence of events if they were delivered to me with a smile. AA staff needs serious training in this aspect of customer service.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by D L Mongueo    (USA)

AA 954 on 12th April 2015. Truly awful service from Buenos Aires to NYC. Flight staff were alternately incompetent, angry, or non-existent. Bizarre lack of professionalism creates a stressful flight atmosphere. With so many international options, never again will we fly American. Not worth the few dollars saved on the ticket price.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Bruce Kanin    (USA)

On April 9, 2015, while my wife and I waited to board a flight from Barcelona to NY-JFK, there was an announcement that it had been canceled. It was hard to hear and broadcast only once. Several of us had to confirm with an attendant that it was indeed canceled, that we had to pick up our luggage at the baggage area and return to the check-in counter. My wife and I, along with the others, scrambled to navigate our way through the airport area finally to the baggage area. After what seemed like a very long wait, our luggage, along with a handful of others', came out last. This meant that when we finally found our way back to the AA check-in area we were at the end of an extremely long line. Eventually my wife and I "split" with her waiting on a long line at an AA service counter. After about 3 hours she made it to the front while I still had many people ahead of me. AA booked us on Iberia flights for the following day and a hotel with paid meals. We were then given directions to a free hotel shuttle. We never found it and ended up paying for a taxi but the driver took us to the "wrong" airport hotel. Fortunately that hotel let us take their shuttle to the "right" hotel. It's surprising but almost understandable that AA had no "backup airplane". My complaint is less about the cancellation and more about the lack of assistance at Barcelona Airport. Announcements and guidance was poor. There was no one to help us navigate back to the baggage area. We had to wait on a customs line to get back "in" so that we could go to the baggage area. We and others had to grab AA personnel passing by to find out anything, even in the baggage area. It was an upsetting experience that cost us a day. We will think twice before using AA again & have spread the word wherever we can.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by R Rob    (UK)

LHR-RDU, economy. I was really impressed with this flight. Ok, the plane was the same age as me (28, I checked) and showed it - particularly in not having PTVs for quite a long flight. Seats a little hard. Everything else was very impressive though - food was edible and generous (main meal, Ice cream and second snack meal) and regular drinks runs including beer. Staff were incredibly polite and friendly, and there was a very relaxed atmosphere which I liked.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2015 by N Hammond    (UK)

My husband and our teenage son went to visit family in Nashville for two weeks this Easter. We booked our four flights each London-Chicago-Nashville and back through BA. BA were supposed to take us as far as Chicago with American Airlines doing the Chicago to Nashville bit. We missed our connection at both legs of the journey which was hugely inconvenient, particularly when returning to the UK. To be fair AA brought us back to Chicago airport in time but for some reason the they were not given a gate for more than an hour. I approached the flight attendant asking whether AA can communicate with BA about this delay, particularly as there were several people, apart from us who were due to catch the same flight. She said that the flight will probably wait for us they know that we are being delayed. This resulted in a mad run between terminals 3 and 5 in vain. We were then sent back to AA desk in Terminal 3 to rebook our tickets for another flight. AA staff took a very long time to process each person. By the time we finished it was more than 1.5 hrs after we started queuing. We were told that the we will be put on AA flight to London tomorrow afternoon. There are many flights between London and Chicago and we requested an earlier flight. The person dealing with us said that if we wanted tickets to an earlier flight we should have come earlier. She refused to check whether BA had any flights the next day. In fact they were as unhelpful as possible. I made a point that we paid tickets for the flight that just left and had we managed to be on it we would not be asking for anything. We were told that we cannot collect our luggage as 'it has gone to BA'. We were given vouchers for an airport hotel and forced to stay overnight without luggage and they reluctantly gave us two sets of very basic things such as toothbrush and toothpaste for us three. The next day at AA check in desk we were told we need to collect our luggage at luggage collection No 5 after which we needed to bring it back upstairs and check them in. They could not locate our luggage. As the time for our next flight was approaching my husband ran to the check in desk to let them know that our luggage never materialised whilst I waited at carrousel No 5 in case it does. We asked if we could be upgraded if there were any spare seats in the premier class and the staff member said 'we do not upgrade for such a reason'. No other option would make me use this airline again.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2015 by G Mychaskiw    (USA)

Non-existent customer service. Recently flew JAN-DFW-ELP. Delayed and missed connection in DFW due to weather. Had to overnight. No help whatsoever from AA because of "weather". No vouchers, no distressed travel rates, no phone number to call for booking my own hotel and had to walk 20 gates for hilariously cheap toiletries kit that was given grudgingly. Surly agents throughout. Truly an example of the worst in airline culture. To top it all off, was unable to be booked on next morning flight and missed work. Agent could only put me on a later flight. Said I was put on FC upgrade list, however. The next day, when I was told I was upgraded, they wanted $70 for the 1 hr flight. Agent said, "well it's not free". I am AAdvantage Gold, which is meaningless. Now a hostage to them with my new location, but will take United or Southwest whenever possible in the future. People understand weather issues, but the total lack of even the most basic customer service and rude behavior/attitudes is appalling about this "airline". Previously flown with Delta extensively and they always handled weather delays and misconnections in ATL professionally and courteously. So it can be done, AA just doesn't care.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by Angela Johnson    (USA)

Original flight was scheduled to depart at 10.30 am from DFW. Flight delayed too many times to count. Right now we are at 4 hours past (2.30 pm) I am on the plane, have been sitting here with no air flow or electricity for about an hour. We were told that the flight crew was coming from OK however all the passengers from OK are on board and the flight attendants said they could not find pilots. This type of incompetence and lack of communication does not instil a lot of confidence in my safe arrival at my final destination. Although AA was $100 cheaper than United I will never fly with AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Juan Dela Cruz    (Japan)

Flew American three times in the past two weeks. All domestic. 1) San Francisco to O'Hare Chicago. 2) LaGuardia NYC to O'Hare Chicago. 3) O'Hare Chicago to San Francisco. Good: on time performance. Did not experience delays Bad: 25$ for a checked luggage? Come on! What are you? A Low Cost Carrier? And because of this, many people opted for a carryon resulting in overcrowding of overhead bins. There were simply not enough space for all carry-ons. Bad: flight attendants! No smiles! Not very attentive. They looked tired, grumpy and stressed! Bad: IFE! No individual screens. Bad: old, single aisle Boeing planes. Bad: you have to pay for everything. Complimentary drinks limited to water, canned sodas and juices.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by R Golledge    (UK)

LHR-DFW return on 777-300ER. I booked this route especially to take this newer plane for the inflight entertainment, which did not disappoint. I found the crew okay and some even smiled! What I disliked about AA was the exorbitant prices they charge for pre-allocated seats, which was a necessity in order to seat a family of 4 together. The food was mostly below average, but having read reviews I wasn't surprised. I don't like the way they have chosen to add another seat to each row in economy. So instead of 9 abreast, they have made it 10. This makes the aisle ridiculously narrow and I don't see how hundreds of people would be able to escape in an emergency, so I'm surprised the FAA permits this higher density seating. Legroom was tight for anyone of above average height. I also found it strange how the seat belt sign was illuminated for virtually the whole flight - in both directions - and there are hardly any announcements from the flight deck, even when turbulence is quite choppy. I chose AA for the equipment they use on this route but I would think twice about booking them again due to the hidden costs that aren't factored into the ticket price.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Brown Derek    (UK)

I have just flown American from London to Miami with a connection to Cancun. The flight AA 57 due to leave at 9.45 am from London was delayed by 1hr 35 minutes with no apology or explanation as to why. The delay coupled with a customs shambles in Miami meant we missed our connection. The Express tickets (red ones) were a complete waste of time we just joined the queue with everybody else and the lady at the next baggage check in was totally disinterested and dismissive. I am frequent flyer an this was booked via BA and was a very poor customer experience. I will avoid American at all costs in future.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Neil Snee    (UK)

LHR-MIA, March/April. We were sold this round trip on the 'new' AA Business Class product. We knew it was a 777-300ER, LHR-MIA and a 777-300 back. The outbound was fantastic with great service, seats, AVOD and everything one should expect from a modern BC cabin. we have flown Emirates BC 4 times in the past, 6 months and this cabin is comparable to both the A380 and the 777 in that class defining airline. Whilst we found the service in Emirates a bit disorganised AA was efficient friendly and warm, we like the more mature no nonsense crew on Airlines out of the States although it's a thin line to rude and dis-interested on occasions! However AA should be ashamed scheduling a 200 version for the return leg which was not a result of a last minute 'change out' due to failure but that quote ' The newer plane has been stolen for Los Angeles some weeks ago'. Call me sad but I would have changed my flight if I'd known we'd be on this antique! Lie at an angle beds, a 10 inch screen maybe 11 low def (love the jumpy fuzzy effects reminded me of the 90s) and the general feel of a very tired plane! What was different was the excellent service and food, I was annoyed when I sat down but slept for 3 hours and was relaxed when I got off. AA has begun to catch up, it's got some way to go and given the lounge experience (don't ever ever call sparkling wine Champagne!) there is a way to go the crew are spot on and at the end of the day that's what makes a flight. Seat score is for the 777-300ER but oddly it's not great for couples as these seats are very. 'Pod' like and chatting to each other isn't easy, AVOD score is the new plane.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by Paul Mann    (USA)

Flew Boston to Barbados via Miami, March 10, returning March 17. Managed to buy a cheap upgrade to First Class Boston to Miami, which was good - though American airlines first class doesn't measure up to the first class of other airlines. One good flight out of four. The rest was economy all the way and truly miserable. Miserly leg room, have to pay extra for everything, ground staff ranged from hostile to comatose, cabin crew completely indifferent. Was made to feel like a dollar bill squeezed till I squeaked. AA operates for its shareholders not its passengers.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by L Gonzo    (USA)

Flew from San Francisco to DFW (Dallas) for my connection into Houston Hobby (04/05/15), just to sit around for hours, the airline changed the departure time at least 7 times then in the end it was cancelled and do you think they had the decency to have a ticket agent at the booth, no mysteriously the agents all disappeared right before the cancelled notice went up on their board. No one instructed us to do anything, I went to other agents and they just told us they could not help. Just ridiculous all around, meanwhile Mother's and children traveling alone sitting at the gate crying trying to figure out how they were going to get home. I ended up having to get a rental to make it to my final destination on my own. All American Airlines does is inconvenience people, the final straw was when the agents at the rental car counter stated that American does this every week to folks who are going to Houston, Austin, and Lufkin so it was nothing new to them, they claim mechanical failure! If they supposedly have new planes and they are investing in all this new equipment, where is it? Why don't they use some of those new so called planes they have purchased! This was a less than an hour flight, come on American, have some common sense!

American Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2015 by I Yang    (USA)

From LAX to PVG (Shanghai), the worst business class. Most of the flights to Asia have much better business seating. The middle row has three seats, if you are in the middle of the middle row you must cross someone to get in and out. The seats configuration is old and looks very dark and unpleasant. Larger screen for movies but not very many good selections.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2015 by Andrew Ashton    (UK)

AA are making a big thing about all the new planes they are buying. I flew from Heathrow to JFK 27th March on a really smart 777. That's where the complements end though. I have never flown with a worse cabin crew. They all wore different clothing as though they had turned up from home and not bothered to change. They were totally uncommunicative - amazingly not a word was spoken to us through the entire journey. One of the crew fell asleep in a seat at the back of the cabin. Food was served as though they were doing us a favour and just dropped in front of us without a word, there was not a friendly smile between them. One of the crew was not tall enough to close the overhead lockers. I cannot believe AA are spending so much on renewing their fleet, yet seem totally unconcerned that their staff are behaving in this way. I flew back on BA - a fabulous crew who worked their socks off for the customers, what a contrast!

American Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2015 by Eric Poole    (USA)

AA flight 397 on March 25th. The first leg of our trip was delayed, so we arrived at the gate 7 minutes before the flight was to take off. We had notified the gate agents that we were on the way to the flight, but they shut the door in our face and would not let us board. We found out they had overbooked the flight by 50 seats. On the next flight, we watched as friends of the gate agents boarded on standby, while the rest of us were bumped > again. No gate agents seemed interested in helping us get home. We eventually had to rent a car and drive home, since American Airlines would not give us a seat on any flight to get home. An extra $100 and 10 hours delayed, we arrived home.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2015 by M J Downey    (UK)

LHR to MIA, Business Class. The plane was one of the older 777-200 with 2-3-2 seating meaning that the person in the middle always had to disturb someone to get out. The seat was ok but not really a true flat bed. The VOD was patchy in that on two of the films I watched, there was something wrong with the display so I had to stop it and restart it. The food was very nice - my steak was delicious. Cabin crew were all very friendly and accommodating.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by L Carling    (UK)

Travelled with AA February 2015, LHR-MIA return flight out older plane - adequate for a day flight. Thankfully new plane with fully lie flat bed. On return excellent service from cabin staff, food also beyond expectations.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by G Chaplin    (UK)

I flew Manchester to JFK and return with AA. On arrival at Manchester the airline staff quizzed us in detail about where else we usually travelled to, why we were going to the States, what jobs we did. This took about 10 minutes. Check in was via a machine designed to make AA a staff saving however it did nothing for their customers, most of whom were frustrated at its inability to work. The whole crew were late and ran through the airport together to take up their posts. Did this account for them not checking whether the passengers had on their seat belts or arm rests in the correct position? Apparently not as it was exactly the same on the return flight. The safety video could not be viewed by passengers seated by the window due to the low overhead and central hanging videos. Did the crew have a uniform? They all dressed differently, some wore extensive amounts of jewellery and chewed gum, others had not even combed or tidied their hair. All were markedly scruffy compared to every other airline I have ever flown with. More worrying was that none of the crew advised passengers to remain seated when the seat belt light was lit and passengers proceeded to walk around the cabin throughout the flight. Or maybe it was the Captain's error in not turning the light off at all. Who knows whether we even had a Captain as on the out flight no announcements were even made! Not impressive on safety at all. Lets face it, food comfort etc are also important but if an airline fails on basic safety the rest pales to insignificance.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by Kay Molen    (USA)

I have the time to write this review due to the third delay I've had with this airline. Not a single good thing I can say about my experience with American. I have flown Southwest, Delta, Jetblue, Frontier and this is by far the worst airline I have flown. We had an hour and a half delay the first flight plus an emergency situation so we missed our connecting flight which has never happened to me. They supplied us with the worst hotel overnight. It wasn't just us that missed our flight, 5 other families on separate ones missed theirs too. Then the flight the next day got delayed 30 minutes! So our three day trip turned into one day from all the delays and missed flights. Finally heading home and they announce mechanical problems with the plane. So now the flight is delayed 2 hours and we are missing our connecting flight to Salt Lake. So we get to board on a 6 pm flight, but let's not kid ourselves, that'll be delayed too so probably 7. And then it's a 4.5 hour flight so I'll be getting home at 2am. Other airlines can figure it out so please do to and spare us all the pain and frustration.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 March 2015 by B Robinson    (USA)

Due to a booking snafu (which may have been of my making) and the flight being oversold, our non-stop return flight LHR-RDU was unavailable. The courteous and helpful ticket desk staff re-booked our free ticket LHR-JFK-RDU. We were told with great pride that the transatlantic portion would be aboard AA's new flagship 777-300ER. I applaud AA as being the only U.S. airline to give it's customers the opportunity to ride the latest and finest of American ingenuity, technology and manufacturing excellence. It did strike me however, that AA may have commissioned a "lite" version of the plane as it was missing some of the bells and whistles I had seen on some foreign carriers (wood floors, mood lighting etc). Overall, the economy interior can best be described as bland. On the plus side, mammoth overhead bins, decent seats, great ride and as good an in flight entertainment system as you'll find anywhere in coach. Watched three excellent first run movies. All we need now is some edible food and AA will have caught up with BA and VS. However, as a word of caution to those flying from the US to the UK on AA, be aware of the aircraft type when you make your booking. In addition to the new AA Flagship 777-300, the airline also flies the 777-200 which is getting along in age, the venerable 767-300, and the 757-200 which, in my opinion, is not at all suited to Transatlantic travel.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by R Chalmers    (USA)

New York (JFK) to Antigua during the very bad snow on the US East Coast. Early morning departure was going well until we reached the gate and found that a problem with a burst pipe meant no baggage could be loaded. However assume this was a knock on from the weather conditions. We were kept relatively well informed about delay which extended to around 3 hrs. However the anticipation of arriving in 85 degrees warmth mitigated the delay. Service on aircraft was fine. We had seats with extra leg room. Inflight entertainment ok. Only soft drinks were free. We had an egg sandwich which was OK. Flight back was also delayed slightly but made up time to arrive near to scheduled time. No queue at immigration. However all this came to nought due to baggage problem at aircraft which meant we waited an hour for bags to arrive. No complaints about flight crew either way - clearly not as customer focused as Non US airlines but efficient.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2015 by B Robinson    (USA)

Flew RDU-LHR on a free economy ticket. I prefer other airlines but the RDU-LHR non-stop convenience trumps all. It also gives me the opportunity to judge the progress of the AA/USAir merger. On the downside the venerable 767-300 is one year older (27 years and counting), still has the mail slot overhead storage bins, the ancient hanging screen entertainment and the excruciatingly uncomfortable seats. I did notice that this old warhorse had been updated with blended winglets to save money which I'm certain they pass along to those paying for tickets. On board, the hot breakfast croissant has been replaced with a box of sugar laden treats and the dinner has regressed from merely uninteresting to inedible. The flight attendants are excellent, given what they have to work with - even giving up their crew rest seats to accommodate the spring breakers who made this a 100% full flight. On the plus side, a current movie that I had considered paying to see (Whiplash), swift check-in, and 45 minutes early into LHR. AA doesn't seem challenged to upgrade their transatlantic game, but unless you're flying from RDU there must be a better option to get from the U.S. to the UK.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2015 by D Varley    (UK)

Flew JFK to Manchester. First disaster came when checking in for flight to be told as a group of 6 we couldn't be seated together. Then it got worse as we couldn't be sat as couples unless we paid $260.00 per couple. Once on board we were sat apart. The cabin crew were at best unkempt and rude. The meal we were served was awful. Only 1 toilet was working for the full economy cabin on a 757, this is not good on a 6 hour flight. Overall a disappointing experience and will not fly on American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2015 by S Pereira    (USA)

AA 280, ICN to DFW. Was flying with an economy ticket, got an upgrade to business kind of last minute. Aboard, as my husband was flying in first class (empty cabin) the purser invited me to join him. What a difference it makes. So glad for the double upgrade in the same flight. Service was good, purser was friendly, service oriented and professional. The 777-200 is showing its age, but the first class suite is still very comfortable.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by A Goddard    (UK)

London - Miami Return, January 2015 (Boeing 777). I could only choose where I wanted to sit 24 hrs before my flight which was fine as most airlines have that policy but what really threw me back was that all aisle and window seats cost an extra $69 - $100 each way depending where the seat was located! You have to pay extra for an aisle seat at the back of the plane on a 10hr transatlantic flight? This is not easyjet or Ryanair for goodness sake! The so called cheap flight on a major airline was not so cheap after all as they were already nickel and diming before getting off the ground. I refused to pay and went for a free middle seat which I loath, I have wide shoulders and have to hunch inwards, my plan was to arrive early and hope the check-in desk could sort me out with an aisle seat which they were able to do but that is where the Customer satisfaction stopped.) Plane was on time and boarding was reasonably quick and I was perched in my aisle seat which was very narrow, I also noticed many people getting their roller cases stuck in the aisles as they tried to roll them down but it turns out that in an effort to squeeze an extra seat in each row American Airlines compromised with narrower seats and aisles. In the air nightmare #1 The narrow aisle caused one particular cabin crew to bump the trolley into my shoulder or elbow without even so much as an apology. #2 You get free beer and wine but the entire cabin ran out beer and white wine before the first drinks trolley finished its first pass. #3 The plane was old and the only movies available played at set times (not on demand) that's right 2015 with 90s technology - AA may have painted their planes but they are still old and nasty inside. Worst of all it was the same experience on the return leg, mercifully the flight was 60 mins less - A truly awful transatlantic flight!

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by B Waldron    (USA)

Flying home from Rochester, NY to Los Angeles, CA I had to change planes in Chicago. Our flight from Rochester landed with plenty of time to make the connecting flight. One problem is that we had to park on the tarmac for one and a half hours. Another plane was occupying the gate. When we reached the gate it took the employees forever to bring up the valeted bags. I missed the connecting flight and it was late in the evening so there wasn't any available flights. I asked about other airlines in the morning and was told nothing was available. I was given stand-by for AA in the morning and if I didn't make that then an 8.05 pm flight was booked for me. AA wouldn't pay for a hotel room so I was on my own. Once I got to a hotel and started my computer, I found a United and Virgin America flight for the morning. Of course it cost me more money but I had a meeting the next day and couldn't risk the stand-by status. What a difference dealing with Virgin America customer service over American Airlines. I will only use AA as a last resort in my future trips. American couldn't tell me how many people were on stand-by for the morning flight so I could evaluate my chance of boarding.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Jezrel Sabaduquia    (USA)

JFK-MIA-JFK. Priority check-in at JFK was awful. The AA staff were absolutely rude and unhelpful to the point that she was yelling. It was an appalling experience. Things got better on-board, first leg on a newly configured 767 as a last minute equipment change. The new First Class seats are extremely comfortable. There were tons of storage, space and it went completely flat. Flight attendants on this flight were very friendly, pro-active and interactive. Breakfast was delicious and creative. Overall, an absolutely delightful flight, the new cabin is gorgeous. Return flight in Main Cabin Extra, and this time, ground staff in MIA was much friendlier than JFK. Exit row seats were comfortable, and entertainment options were decent. Overall, another great experience with AA despite the bad impression at JFK.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by L Banks    (USA)

What is the point in paying extra for Priority when the seats are still the same size? Not to mention the overhead bins are not full yet you made me check my one carry-on. This is ridiculous. I planned ahead and packed lightly so I could use a small carry bag. I have an appointment when I land and cannot wait for Baggage Claim. What should have been offered was Priority Baggage PickUp. These items should come off the plane first and be stowed with strollers or other items, along with First Class baggage. I will avoid this airline at all costs going forward.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by H J Klomp    (Germany)

DUS-ORD-Tampa-LAX-ORD-DUS. We fly on European carriers quite often - but American Airlines have made an art of employing non caring - ignorant and unfriendly staff. I have never encountered such condescending flight attendants - and such arrogance. We flew from Dusseldorf to Chicago as first leg. The seat allocation was a disaster at the airport - my wife was in a middle seat 6 rows behind me. When we asked the check in crew to change it - we were told to take care of it at the gate, at the gate we were told to sort it with the cabin crew and the cabin crew? Not our problem - you should have taken care of it before boarding - end of interest. Only after I really got angry - and walked off the plane - telling them to get my luggage off - a steward from the front end of the plane got involved and shuffled people around so we could sit together. Our friendly stewardess then managed to ignore us for the whole trip. Second leg - we were on the last row of an ancient DC9 - with the galley next to us and a toilet door that would not close properly. Return trip uneventful - but one thing is certain - never again American.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by H Rode    (Germany)

AA78, DFW-LHR, March 6 2015. What a disappointing flight on one of AA's ancient 777-200, cabin feels more like a prison cell than business class. Seats in 2-3-2 configuration (haven't had this for 15 years now). Instead of lie- flat seats they still offer lie in s-style and be careful not to slip down to the floor while you sleep. Stewardess climbing over me to cut off the way she had to walk. Food was disappointing as well. Only highlight was the wine selection that was a little bit better than ok. No way that I will use AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by A Storey    (USA)

DFW-LHR in B773. Not sure what other people want but I got what I expected. Good steak for dinner accompanied with a nice Pinot Noir form New Zealand, seat turns into a comfortable bed, IFE is excellent, flight attendants had right mix of anticipating what you need and leaving you in peace. on the down side, overhead bin space is limited compared to Business cabin.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by M David    (USA)

LAX-ORD-CDG - First - the segment from ORD-CDG was on refurbished 767 with new style biz class seats. Very nice cabin, interiors are better than most European airlines. There were only two small things I did not get - table - very difficult to pull out and angle - to a point flight attendants had issues with it. And second was iPad for entertainment? Really. The planes have new seats! What was worst was that the purser collected the iPads and head phones 4 hours before we landed! So there was no entertainment. And when I asked why they collected it so early, they said they were preparing for landing. 4 hours ahead? The same on 777-300ER, they keep collecting the headphones at least 1 hour before landing, therefore you can't use the system. But the food was ok, and apart from the unfriendly purser, the staff were nice.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by D Ruckel    (USA)

I traveled reluctantly on American Airlines, Buenos Aires - New York and return in early December 2014. On the most recent trip, I can only say that the seating was horrible, the flight attendants inattentive. I did like two attendants on the return flight, one, a male, who saw the girl sitting next to me unwilling to put her tray up for takeoff and he firmly said 'you know the drill, put the tray up'. You could sense his professionalism and no nonsense approach. He was quite professional. Another attendant was very personal with me and admitted that flying was not what it used to be, said that the 777-300 had two back seats that you could not recline and actually defended the passenger in terms of lack of comfort. She said that now it is a question of bringing your own entertainment, food, all of which surprised me since she was not party line and quite personable, apologizing for making me wait ten minutes for some water, saying 'I'm sorry, I'm in another world today' not so reassuring but she was on top of things. A mixed bag. On the flight to New York, the food was awful but a flight attendant, when telling her that I need a lot of water, subtly gave me an entire bottle in a plastic bag. Perhaps it's because I helped an older passenger with her luggage but still, what a shocker. I find that I am very uncomfortable getting off their planes. They have twice lost my luggage, once on an earlier flight, but found it days later. The latest was really just uncomfortable because of the 2x5x2 seating arrangement on a 777-200. I cannot recommend them for comments like 'whose the next victim?' or 'the entertainment system is not working. We suggest you read a good book and go to sleep'. This was on a flight Buenos Aires New York about three years ago stated in Spanish and English by a flight attendant. Passengers laughed but you could see many were offended by her suggestions. It used to be a great carrier.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Raymond Hamilton    (USA)

Sitting at AEX. Flight 3271 was scheduled for 6.05am. It is currently 8.20am and still not boarded. There is always delays. I travel for business and American is so inconsistent it makes it hard for the business traveler.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by William Slattery    (Canada)

Recently we traveled to Cancun from Calgary Canada, with an over nighter in Dallas Fort Worth. Our flights down were for the most part uneventful with only minor delays out of Calgary and Dallas. However coming back on the 28th of Feb, was the worst experience we have ever had in over 30 years of flying. We were stuck in an enormous backlog of passengers in Cancun Airport, the majority of the backlog was with American Airlines. Not withstanding the fact that there were storms all over the southern US, the American staff assisting passengers in the line-up un-organized cluster that accrued in the terminal was appalling! They could not organize anything and upset passengers constantly. They were so incompetent that they would have had difficulty organizing a staff bathroom break. We where in the line-up for 5.5 hours and never saw a listing for our flight till we finally went through security and even then they had the gate location mixed up. A horrendously poor experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by R Stagg    (Canada)

I had an unpleasant experience with this airline on Sunday, March 1st. I took a flight from Houston to Chicago then had an hour to connect to my flight to Toronto. The first leg was fine, on time, and was surprised that a meal was served on a short two hour flight. I got to Chicago, checked the departure board and saw my flight was delayed an hour. That was not too bad so I used the washroom, came out to get a coffee and decided to check the board for the gate again and to my surprise my flight was then listed as cancelled. Told that even though I had booked first class if I wanted to get to Toronto the next morning it would be in the back of economy, told that the only first class available would be in two days. The biggest surprise came shortly thereafter when I went to search for a Customer Relations desk: there was none! There was a system of phones. Eventually a CS agent came to the phone. She told me that the previous gate agent booked me for the following night from Chicago to Philadelphia, then a six hour wait to board a 7 am flight back up to Toronto getting me to my destination two days after the original time. I instead took charge and asked if I could get a flight to Buffalo and was placed on one for two hours later. Of course "weather" was the cause for the delay but oddly enough, only my flight was showing up as being cancelled. I fly often so if weather was a major factor the board should have at least a few more cancellations or delays. Because of this "weather" excuse, there would be no assistance for a hotel. I was to depart from the L gates and just before boarding there came an announcement that we had to go over to the H gates- - with just minutes to spare. Service has been much better to me by other US based airlines when faced with unusual changes such as weather or mechanical delays-I have had them all. I will stick to my preferred airline and not use AA anymore as this experience, plus a similar one last summer with them, has completely eroded any confidence that this airline can get me from point A to B on the same day.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by D Altman    (USA)

MSP-MIA. A battered, old airplane arrives at the gate looking like it would be from 1960. We got inside and some of the monitors were not working and the seats barely reclined. The flight attendants were very nice and passed out drinks, but I still don't understand why they do not offer snacks on a 3.5 hour flight. My flight from MIA-MSP was terrible. We arrived at MIA airport, getting ready for our flight at 1pm. We find out it is cancelled, and the airline did not give us a reason why so we were rescheduled for a 2pm flight. When we went to board the 2pm flight, we find out that they cancelled our seats for that flight and replaced them with a 9pm flight. We had to stay in MIA airport for an additional 7 hours! Once the time finally comes to board the flight bound to MSP, we get onto the plane which previously came from Mexico City. The flight attendants were very welcoming, however they then tell us over the speaker that this plane was out of service and that American Airlines must find us a new plane to fly on. So, we get all of our luggage off the plane and leave the gate once again, tired and exhausted. We wait in the gate area, and find out our plane is located at the opposite end of MIA airport, a 25 minute walk/train ride to get to. So we get all of our stuff together and head towards the other gate. Boarding begins immediately on one of the brand new planes and it is delayed an additional hour. The flight finally leaves at 11pm, and I was supposed to be home at 6pm originally. We got to Minneapolis at 2am. Do not recommend this airline if you have little kids with you, as changes to occur commonly but the flight attendants are great. The flights, not so much. American has really gone down in service.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by L Wingler    (USA)

I cannot find one thing to say about this airline that is complimentary. Had a flight from Orlando to home and arrived 2 hrs early. Line and kiosks were absolutely packed. And why is that? Because there are only 2 check in people working. Of course I am late for my flight and spend the rest of the day trying to get on a stand by. AA workers at the gates very unhelpful and dismissive. Tell me if I am not some kind of gold customer I cant be put on a stand by list. Terrible customer service in every way. I will never fly them again and do not recommend anyone else to either!

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Bill Schur    (Canada)

After a cruise in Ft. Lauderdale we took a connector flight to Dallas on the way to Phoenix. Upon arrival had to sit in the plane 2.5 hours as there was a plane in our gate. Because of snow and ice on runway, and also because Dallas is not prepared for this, and American could not find a pilot, we were cancelled. So, for the next 24 hours we spend in the Dallas Fort worth airport, we spend 8 hours waiting in lines for a flight, and slept along with about 100 people on the floors and in chairs in the airport as the hotels were full. I felt sorry for seniors would had to endure this drama as there was little to no help from American Airlines. Finally after 2 cancellations and 1 standby refusal, we found a flight to Phoenix.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Ashley Nagel    (USA)

Flight from MSP to DFW to MIA was late both flights and each time they were highly unorganized. Late to board and very uninformative to passengers. Flight itself ok. Very uncomfortable seats and I'm an extremely small figured person. Flight returning from MIA to DFW and then to MSP was a disaster! Got to the airport 2.5 hrs early and had American Airlines bump my flight unbeknown to me to a following day! They put me on standby with a confirmed seat and then argued when I didn't get on that I was late when I was there an hour before departure. They did not out me on and when talking to a supervisor and his pawn they did nothing claiming it was not their fault even though I had a confirmed seat on time and they bumped me. They did nothing to appease the situation and the girl behind the counter was very rude! I will never fly them again. Disorganized, unprofessional, and expensive!

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by S Sriberg    (UK)

After 30+ years of flying American I will now avoid them. My flight from Heathrow to Miami "First" was appalling with a complete lack of the usual amenities. The plane was old and tired, media system small and ancient, only 1 current movie of interest, terrible food (inedible) and tantamount to false advertising in my eye to call this "first class". Be warned that unless you know the exact year and configuration of the plane you are flying, the customer service department won't give you a definite answer, you may have the same experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Beej Knight    (Canada)

Flew AA Cost Rica-Miami-Toronto. Ancient airplanes with drop down televisions every few rows. Couldn't read anything on the screens. Staff unhelpful and I never saw one of them smile. The man beside me (mistakenly) asked to purchase some cheese and crackers. The attendant literally threw a menu at him and hissed that they didn't have cheese and crackers. The seats were painfully thin and I could not get comfortable, even in the Exit row isle. The only bonus, you got a full can of pop, although I asked for ginger ale and they didn't have any. Service only came through once and people were all complaining that they were parched and would like water.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Willner    (USA)

Booked on a Sunday morning flight from Miami to New York. Arrived at 6.50 for an 8.10am flight. There must have been 10 lines along a large expanse of the terminal. We were misdirected 4 times to the wrong line. The lines were 4 layers thick and moved incredibly slowly. We stood on one line for 40 minutes before we began to fear we would miss our flight because of the slow pace of check in. The American line attendants were unhelpful. They suggested self- check in, but I explained that I had a dog. He then told me I was in the wrong line. The correct line was equally long and I missed my flight. I will never travel AA again. There are other choices between Miami and NY, and AA is not less expensive.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Florian Will    (Ireland)

Flew from Philadelphia to Dublin, old plane, unfriendly staff - one screen for 50 people and 1 movie in 5 hours. Pasta and bread tasted the same and fixed recline for seats. Unsatisfactory! Will switch to another airline next time.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Johnson    (USA)

Business class, LAX-MIA-SXM and back. I booked seats 9 months out. Two weeks before departure, my wife and I were separated. After four calls and "It can't be fixed" answers it was finally fixed via email. Of the four segments, all but the first ones were quite enjoyable. The first, a red eye out of LAX was average at best. Smooth boarding, rock hard seats that sent my back into pain an hour out; surly unhelpful FA's. As we approached the gate in MIA, the FA gave us connection information which was wrong. Had we not checked a board in the terminal we would have been sent so far out of our way we would have missed our flight. The other 3 flights were fine except for the MIA-SXM meal which was inedible. Planes were old but fairly well preserved. All flights on time. At SXM our "priority" bags were the last off the plane. Overall, small stuff.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Cathy Dunn    (Canada)

People are getting bigger not smaller. The seats were uncomfortably tight and small. Entertainment terrible, can't they put on a recent movie. Not even a cookie was served! The airline attendants were stone faced. When leaving the plane no attendants present. This is the worst airline we have been on. We will never use it again even if it is cheaper. Flights both going and coming were 45 min to 1 hr delayed. We almost missed our connecting flights both times, we were the last to board the plane with rude comments from workers that they are waiting for us!

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by M Zheng    (USA)

All four of my flight legs were substantially delayed (one because they couldn't find one of the crew members). The airline took no responsibility for the delays-they did not have enough gate agents, did not accommodate passengers who missed connecting flights or were trapped in airports overnight as a result of the delays, and were extremely rude to passengers who asked for compensation. The seats were also very tight and I could not fit a normal sized backpack fully under the seat in front of me.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by E Standen    (UK)

Very poor long haul experience with American Airlines. Aircraft was ancient with one TV per 6 rows; wording on screens was illegible if sat at the side. Food was in edible. Crew failed to conduct a full cabin secure check with many hazards going unnoticed. Will not be flying American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by David Baker    (USA)

We paid a premium for a flight from Albuquerque to Orlando, getting in at 5pm. As it turned out, we could have arrived earlier on the cheaper flight with another carrier. We were delayed, as always when flying AA. Eventually got in over 3 hours late. Asked for some level of compensation for getting in late, even though we paid a premium for this particular schedule. Received an email saying we won't be giving any compensation, and of course, could not reply to the email. Sadly, I will no longer fly this carrier. It has just been too many problems, delays, etc.

American Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by M Baughman    (USA)

I am mostly an international flyer on Qatar, Etihad and BA. I have been flying American a lot in the US in the past 18 months and have to say I have been pleasantly surprised. This weekend there was a bad storm that closed Washington area airports and I had to get back from Miami to make an international departure the following day. Two of my flights were cancelled. The agent at the Admirals Club stuck with it for almost an hour as we strategized a way to get near enough to DCA so I could have options to get home (eventually I got to PHL and rented a car). The only slightly sour note was the agent's supervisor came over saying "no...no...no.." and she couldn't be bothered with trying to understand what we were trying to do. Seeing I was now getting really angry, the supervisor pulled back and the agent got me near enough on a USAir flight. USAir had their own agent in the Club and he got us on a waitlist for an even earlier flight which proved to be a Godsend. And after all that my baggage eventually made it to DC after the storm with no drama. Of course, I am Oneworld Gold and we were flying first class and I didn't have to stand in a mile long line in the main terminal. But that's what you're paying for and often US airlines don't treat you very well no matter how much you paid for the ticket. I also have found AA is incredibly helpful on the phone in changing reservations even on codeshare flights, which is something I have to do frequently. Their website is extremely good and links nicely with other airlines if you are on a complicated itinerary that includes one of their flights. I know people who gripe about them but for now they're my go-to US airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Les Oliver    (UK)

Travelled from Miami to London on January 8th 2015 in first class. Very bad service and very shabby cabin. Here's a warning. Our meal was extremely disappointing, it was cold, and when we complained, the meals were taken away and re-heated, not safe. Also, and worse still, was my wife's meal. She needs Gluten Free food but her meal was terrible, some chicken and rice which again was cold. When my wife made comments to the senior steward she told us that due to AA cutbacks they are withdrawing special meals. This was not denied by AA customer relations, so if you have any kind of special dietary needs do not fly AA. Be warned.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

AA from BOS to MIA on Jan 26 (rather than on the 28th to avoid the storm), next in business MIA to Santiago, Chile on the 28th, as scheduled. Returned in economy Montevideo, Uruguay on Feb 10 to MIA (rather than on the 11th to avoid a predicted storm). Finally on to BOS in first on February 12. I wish the in-the-air product always equalled the consistently excellent service we receive at the Platinum desk. Based on three of the four flights, we found the experience professional. The flight, however, from Montevideo to Miami, was characterized by perfunctory service, with the crew basically invisible expect for the required meal service. When we boarded, they were clustered together laughing. No assistance in boarding the very full plane and throughout the flight. AA has a lock on this flight; should do better. Primitive inflight system not working. Ratings below based on MVD-MIA flight, not the other three which were fine.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by A Shmuely    (USA)

JFK to GIG on Nov 21st, and return on November 30 from GIG to JFK. Flying business class all over the world with different airlines. They are by far the worst that I have experienced. Lousy old planes, broken seats and tray tables, entertainment system consists of ipads, horrible food and drinks selections (half of what is on the menu not available). They are known to cancel flights for mechanical failures. The crew were nice and were aware of their company's issues.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by J Gardner    (USA)

LAX-DFW-MEX and return - First/Business Class. My expectations were set fairly low as these were my 11th and 12th transit of DFW on American over the last 6-7 years but wanted to burn off some miles. Of these trips I can now say that 2 have departed on time out of this place. That said my trip down to MEX was uneventful. Food was fair at best and F/A's smiles seemed missing, but was on time. The departure out of MEX back to Dallas was delayed by Radar problems at MEX. This set off a chain of events that resulted in a missed connection at DFW and while 90% could be attributed to the Radar problem. The flight was not posted on airport monitors and the gate was changed. The departure gate did not have the flight displayed so people had to ask if this was indeed for the DFW flight. Once on board the pilot announced a 59 minute traffic delay due to an early full ground stop. That 59 minutes went by plus another 20 or so with no further word from the crew. Late passengers arrived about an hour after the scheduled time and once loaded the door was shut and we pushed back. Since I signed up for Emails I received no fewer than 14 Emails that I didn't read until arrival in DFW which caused connection confusion that even one of their agents could not explain. As it turned out due to carry on bag only I could have made my first flight but apparently they gave my seat away thinking there would be no way I could make it. Coming into DFW I checked online and it showed what looked like I had been rebooked on the 2nd of 2 remaining flights but Emails after arrival which were generic made me think I had been rebooked on the first of the two. All 3 remaining flights were at different terminals which didn't help. Food offered on both return legs was ridiculous same thing on both flights which means they boarded the little biscuit sandwiches at DFW flew them to MEX to serve on the return flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by N Fuller    (USA)

Flew PHL-AMS return on 757-200 in January 2015. No frills, single aisle plane was on time and food was fine - one glass of wine free. I brought my own iPad full of movies, because of the lack of AVOID. No person sat beside me, so plenty of room. Staff was efficient, but they need to fix a loose door in the loo (was broken on the outbound and return flights, no excuse).

American Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Gkinis Stamatis    (Greece)

Travelling from Bogota to London via Miami we lost our connecting flight at Miami Airport due to delay of our first flight with American Airlines. We waited 5 hrs in a long queue with other passengers that have also lost connecting flights with AA. AA staff was really impolite. Their only offer was to travel to Dallas next day and from there to London. They didn't offer accommodation and we stayed all night at Miami Airport (12 hours), We finally reached London 24 hrs after our initially scheduled time. They didn't offer any kind of compensation. Never travel again with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2015 by W Staab    (USA)

JFK-Bermuda-JFK. Flight to Bermuda uneventful though only soft drinks served despite being an International flight at dinner hour, nary a peanut to be seen. Seat comfort was reasonable for a 1 hr 37 min flight. One flight attendant was extraordinarily rude and sassy, loudly scolding numerous passengers about a number of trumped up infractions. Return flight to JFK was overbooked so we and others were hauled into an American Airlines office told we would have to be rebooked the following day. After waiting a while with no further time left to clear customs, American told us to be re-booked each passenger would have to pay an additional $298 above the flight ticket already paid plus a fine. American refused even to ask if other flights (Delta or Jet Blue) had space later that day when no one was willing to pay all the extra charges to re-book on American the following morning or even tell us where the other two airlines were located. As it turned out Delta had only Business Class seats available (they said) but Jet Blue could accommodate everyone for a charge of $198 per person. American is clearly not very customer friendly and one would think twice about flying with them again in the future. JetBlue, as it turned out, had more leg room, served a snack and their crew onboard was much better organized and politer than American had been.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2015 by Joseph Alexander    (USA)

AA0071, 1/12/2015, FRA-DFW. Actually my flight was with Etihad however, the connection from Frankfurt to Dallas Fort Worth was with American Airlines. The plane outside looked great however once I boarded it looked like I was still in the 1960's. Damaged/not working light switches, ugly and dirty seats and the 12 hour long flight had no monitor to watch anything. I will try to avoid American Airlines in future.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by D Graubard    (USA)

AA86 on Jan 22: ORD-LHR 767-300. Used Flagship Lounge before boarding - always great service there and one of the ladies always remembers me with a hello and chat. Boarding was quick - seat 6G and Business Class was full. Coach was around 70% full. Greeted by attendant on boarding and once at my seat attendant came and took my jacket and offered water/champagne/OJ. Took off on time and post-take off drinks were served with nuts. Dinner was halibut that was excellent and the F/A's were very attentive. Bose headsets always great and Samsung tablet had sufficient shows to watch. Slept 4 1/2 hours and asked for breakfast - was brought right away. Circled a couple times and landed at Terminal 3 - off the plane quickly and transferred to T5 for flight to Brussels. Really think AA is doing great - hope it continues.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by B Filipi    (USA)

On 1/18 flew from Omaha to DFW to New Orleans. Flight very uneventful. Even arrived in Dallas early and had to wait for another plane to pull out so we had a gate to pull up to. Made the connection to New Orleans easily and the flight was on time. On 1/25 flew from New Orleans to DFW to Omaha. Flight was on time until we boarded in Dallas and wait to wait nearly an hour so light bulbs on the wing could be replaced. Since I don't fly much, I was satisfied that the flights for the most part were on time and uneventful.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by D Schmeisser    (USA)

GRB to HNL via ORD and DFW. Five of 6 segments were on time or up to 30 minutes early. Ground and cabin staff were personable, passed beverages 4 times on long-haul outbound but service was very lean on return (no coffee on a flight arriving at 5 am). Cabins clean, seats adequately cushioned but a tight fit as expected. The entree salad I purchased was tasty and priced fairly. Entertainment is really inadequate on B767-300, with overhead video and no music channels at all on return. Unfortunately, American Eagle is really a hot mess, except for nice cabin staff. On final segment, five schedule changes were sent to my phone in a 30 minute period-30 minute delay, no just 5 minutes, back to 30 minutes, etc. The final message indicated just a 5 minute delay, but after we boarded we sat on the plane for another 50 minutes while they located a new captain anyway. In my experience, if you must use American Eagle, shoot for the first flight of the day.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by Scibelli Michael    (USA)

We used American for the first and last time 1/5/14 for a flight to Cabo (flight 1087). We had a transfer in Chicago that's where the nightmare began. We arrived 15 minutes early but had to wait for almost 1.5 hrs to get off the plane. The pilot said the gate was not clear yet because we were early, then they were de-icing, then the baggage handlers, then crew problems. Our connecting flight was delayed an hour so we would just make it. The flight was scheduled for 10 am delayed until 11 but no gate given, then 12, then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 6. We found out sometime after 2 that the plane was in Seattle. They never offered an apology although they did give us 12 dollar meal vouchers. We got 2 sandwiches and had to pay for our sodas. We were scheduled to be in Cabo at noon that day but did not get there until 10pm. A day of our vacation was lost, 9 hours of aggravation, and never offered any compensation for this terrible service. Just a quick comparison, we went to Cancun in November on Southwest airlines, they had a problem processing our boarding passes, 20 minute delay, we were afraid we were not going to be able to go but they got the problem fixed. If you have a choice for flights, choose a company that cares.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by Karen Mohr    (USA)

In spite of the fact that we booked and paid for a $4K vacation a month before the actual travel, AA wouldn't assign my husband and I actual seats. This meant we couldn't print out boarding passes before getting to the airport. However, if we were willing to pay extra $, they would give us seat assignments. In coach. They were basically holding the seats hostage unless we paid a ransom to free them. When I enquired w/ AA as to why, they actually said that our $4K payment gave us the "service" of flight/flying, not the actual seat. They also said seat assignments were handled by the gate. An out and out lie, since an extra $60 or more would have gotten us seat assignments on the spot.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Jezrel Sabaduquia    (USA)

JFK-DFW-GRU-JFK. First leg on a brand-new 737, seats were comfortable and flight attendants were friendly. They went above and beyond looking for an item that I lost during the flight, checking the seat cushions and pockets, and profusely apologizing when they couldn't find it. Next leg on the 777-300ER. Seats were once again comfortable, although legroom was a bit tight but was not much of an issue since I had the entire row to myself. Recline was excellent, although it was a little too much that when the person in front of me reclined, there was very limited space. Flight attendants on this flight were once again very friendly and professional. Catering was excellent both quantity and quality. Return flight to JFK on a 777-300ER again. This time, seated in Main Cabin Extra. Legroom and recline was great, there were plenty of space to move around. Flight attendants and catering were once again excellent, dinner was one of the best meals I had on a plane. Service on this flight was very attentive. So Kudos to AA! The only issue was the IFE had to be rebooted a couple of times, other than that, the system offers a lot of variety and options. Overall, as a loyal United customer, I was pretty impressed with AA! Service was warm and friendly, and the 777-300ER product is reliable and comfortable.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by R Mcknight    (USA)

Flew from Seattle to Santiago via Miami. The flight to Miami was uneventful on a 737. The flight to Santiago left much to be desired on an antique 767. Seats were uncomfortable and stained. The meal was bland and unappetizing to look at - made the mistake of having the chicken. The old school "entertainment" system was a throwback to the 70's and the movie was only available in Spanish. It was a moot point though as I could not see the 12" screen from a dozen seats away anyhow. The return flight was canceled. We were rebooked the next day on a 777 which was a welcome change. Unfortunately, this plane was filthy and the FAs were quite rude. To cap it off, as we were boarding, we were stopped on the jetway and told that AA has a no outside drinks policy so we would have to throw out the bottles of water we bought airside before boarding our 10 hour flight. On the plane, I timed it and after the original thimble of water, it took 5 hours to get another one. I learned my lesson and AA will not get my business again.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by David Reath    (USA)

Flight 1021 on January 24 from Granada to Miami. This was a terribly crowded and hot plane. Flight duration was about 3 hrs 45 mins. The flight attendants made a single pass through the cabin to offer drink service and pick up cups which took no more than an hour and a half. After this they were not seen for the last 2 hrs 15 mins of the flight. I found three flight attendants seated at the rear of the plane. I have never had worse inflight service and had never seen a more lazy group of flight attendants.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by James Little    (UK)

London (LHR) to Los Angeles (LAX) via Chicago (ORD) in First. Bag drop at LHR was easy. Flagship lounge a little antiseptic but welcoming enough. Boarding straightforward. Plane on the transatlantic section looked a little tired inside, but the seat was enormous and very comfortable. Food and drinks very good, and service outstanding. If I have a gripe, it's that the IFE wasn't great and the TV of poor quality. Domestic leg was OK, but I wouldn't expect the same class of treatment on such a flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by A Kilvert    (UK)

Booked flight and hotel with Travelbag and was horrified to discover that I was flying with AA! We flew economy from Heathrow to Miami, Miami to San Jose. Check-in was good, and we got good exit row seats on the first flight. Second flight we got bad seats and rude staff. Return journey again we got good exit row seats, but had more bad staff, does AA specialise in them? Not as bad as I thought but due to rude staff I won't be rushing to fly with them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Christy Hoss    (USA)

Flight 287. Our Flight was supposed to be non-stop from Miami to LA. Plane developed a problem as we sat waiting to leave the terminal. It took 2 hours to determine it was not fixable. We were compensated with headsets and two granola bars while we waited for the news that American Airlines was trying to find another plane. No plane was available so we deplaned and waited another hour in the terminal for the decision to fly to Phoenix where we could refuel, on the same plane, and go on to LA. By now the flight is 4 hours late leaving. Arriving in Phoenix the captain said, "Good news is we are in Phoenix, the bad news is the crew has to stand down due to FAA regulations." Another delay - All the passengers were shuttled around to other flights. It's late, we are all exhausted and had been lead along by a string of lies. We missed our connecting flight by 6 hours and had to stay in LA. Two granola bars and a pair of headsets. One lie leads to another creating distress for the passengers and the consequent employees that had to deal with the avalanche that resulted from a full-flight of unhappy flyers. It was a nightmare. I will never fly American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2015 by A Sahni    (USA)

DFW to Milan Italy via JFK in December 2014. On check in for this flight at DFW the agent informs us the flight is over sold in economy so we inquire about being switched to British Airways on the non-stop to LHR then on-wards to Milan. The AA Agent looks puzzled and quickly said we cannot switch you to BA. At this point we are confused as AA/BA have a tie up we know for a fact Delta can put you on Air France if the flight is over sold. So then we head to JFK with the domestic leg good on a new plane. At the AA terminal 8 at JFK we come to find out the AA lounge coupons given to use are no good, but the AA Agent in the lounge makes an exception for the lounge since Christmas is around the corner. Finally we board the AA flight to Milan. Since we own the AA credit card we are allowed to board with Zone 2 but the red jacket agent stops us saying your AA Credit Card is useless and does not work for zone 2. Finally get on the flight, and the flight leaves on time. Meals and service were good as AA has to compete with Emirates on this sector, but AA really lacks any economy class in flight entertainment. There are no personal TV screens in each seat like Emirates offers. The seats in economy class are too small on AA. Since AA has put TV screens every few rows no one can sleep on this flight as the lighting from the TV screens is very annoying. To end the flight the Breakfast was very good in economy. Overall if AA would match Emirates with proper in flight offering in economy class they would have a good product, but till they do this one is better offer taking Emirates if flying to Milan in Economy class.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2015 by Maria Ramirez    (USA)

I have 2 children. One is 8 month and the other one 2.5 years. They don't give priority to board the plane to families with babies nor seniors. Secondly, the staff who help you when you are checking in are useless. When you get to the airport you have to check in using their computers but if you are traveling with infants you have to line up for more than an hour. When we lined up an AA employee approached us and confirmed that we were in the right line. One hour later, the staff member who was about to help us check in said that we were in the wrong line. Once at the gate, they didn't give preference to families with babies. Somebody said through the speaker that there wasn't enough room for our carry-ons and that we had to check them in at no cost. When we approached the staff member at the front desk guy to ask him where to leave the carry on, he ignored us. Lastly, this airline charges you extra for your luggage. Our ticket was very expensive and on top of that we had to pay extra for our baggage. This is the first and last time that I travel with them.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by M Riccardo    (Italy)

I try to avoid them whenever I can, but as a student I have to go for the cheapest so I gave them another try from Miami to Milan. First of all, no private screens on a 9 hour journey should be banned. Although I did sleep most of the time, I would have liked to listen to some music or watch a movie of my choice, not chosen by them. Besides that, the aircraft didn't seem very well kept and the food was just bad. To make the matter worse the plane was delayed by 6 hours and they kept changing our gate, telling the plane was broken. Would try to avoid them if you can.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by S Matias    (UK)

LHR-LAX flight in business class: new 777 aircraft. Excellent flight, very attentive crew (best ever on AA), good IFE and WiFi, which was a great treat - $19 for a 10 hr flight is not unreasonable, but you would perhaps expect to be free of charge for First and Business Class travelers? SFO-ORD-LHR: flights in Main Cabin Extra. The usual 737 for the internal flight, which was fine. Again, attentive staff. The leg from ORD to LHR was on a very old and dated 767, which you really no longer would expect to exist in a company from a 1st world country? IFE broke down so everyone had to make do with their own entertainment options. Cabin crew were excellent again. I fell asleep as we took off and missed my meal, when I woke up I was offered it within 10-15 minutes. I have had a fair few flights with American in the past to the US and because my partner has Executive Platinum status with them we always do tend to get upgrades to business class, but have never thought much of the service so far. Clearly, American is staff is making an effort! The quality of service has really improved.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Raymond Hamilton    (USA)

Why is there always some "breakdown" with American? I live in Alexandria LA and only have three choices and unfortunately I am forced to fly AA. Normally only 1 out of 4 flight go without some type problem. Always late or delayed. Flight Crew doesn't show up. Gates are changed, sometimes up to 5 times. And lost bags are the norm. Why can't AA get their game together?

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by N Hartmann    (USA)

In the air, American was decent. We flew TUS-DFW-BNA, and EVV-ORD-TUS, and found the flight crew to be friendly and helpful for the most part. The issues we had were with customer service on the ground, particularly in Dallas, where our missed flight did not result in any support for our troubles. They also lost our luggage, but they apologized and compensated us appropriately, sending a check in a very timely manner. The MD-80s they fly are fine, but the fact that I flew in a plane 5 years younger than me, doesn't do much for my faith in the company. American Eagle's ERJs are horrible for anyone over 5 feet tall, and they feel dated. The newer 737s were nice, however.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by K Wheelock    (USA)

Nov 10th, AA2216. AA2463, Nov 11th. Our flight from LA to SYD was QF12 on Nov 11 2014. I would like to give American Airlines a poor review on their performance and customer service we experienced on a flight to Sydney Australia in November 2014. Our flight was delayed leaving MSP partially due to weather but really because they left us sitting on the plane while they delayed the de-icing and then took 45 minutes to do something the pilot said usually takes 15 minutes. We missed our connecting flight in DFW that was to take us to Sydney and the ticket attendants there absolutely refused to re-route us onto several flights that could have taken us to LAX to connect to a flight to SYD that same night. They instead put us on a flight the next day that would re-route us through LAX and on to SYD, making us lose an entire day in Australia. The ticket attendants were rude and inconsiderate. I have never had such poor customer service in all my years of flying. DFW said it is a policy not to allow someone on a flight through stand-by if their end destination is international. American Airlines said each airport has their own policy on that and it is not a standard AA policy. There were several flights that went from DFW to LAX that evening and they allowed over 30 people to board those planes on stand-by but would not allow us to.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by S Dharmasena    (Australia)

JFK-SFO-LAX-LAS-JFK with American Airlines were the worst four flights of my life! Ground staff and cabin crew were rude and inefficient. The cabin and seats were very old and worn out. Not a single crew member on any four of the flights I took even bothered to say hello or welcome or even smile. Obviously we had to purchase snacks onboard because AA does not offer food. The snack options were very limited and if you were seated at the very back of the economy cabin you will never be guaranteed whether you will get the snacks you wanted to buy because they only stock few onboard and they get sold out half way through. Even during the selling of snacks and drinks the cabin crew looked very displeased that they had to do it. The cabin crew were extremely badly groomed. The economy seat had hardly any legroom. If you are a tall person you will have a hard time moving in your seat because it is so small with no legroom. We even bought extra legroom seats and still there was not enough legroom. All four flights were delayed and took off hours late. We were boarded late and then had to sit in the aircraft for at least 1 to 2 hours before take off. As a result our plans had to be cancelled and changed. I will never fly with AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Ross Kelly    (UAE)

I flew from LHR-MIA in Business on one of their new 777-300. I cant fault this flight. The seats in Business have lots of space, places for storage and good size IFE screens. IFE itself is also good. Food was of a good quality. Service was very good from the crew, who were pleasant, friendly and were happy to keep your drink topped up. If you're feeling peckish during the flight the galley is stocked with snacks where you can help yourself. Overall a very pleasant on time flight. In contrast I flew the return with BA on a very worn 747, business class cabin is badly designed and crew not very friendly at all. If you are doing this route definitely choose AA over BA, miles better product!

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by A Martinez    (USA)

I have never seen anything like I saw today at MIA. We arrived an hour and a half before my son's domestic flight and could not believe the chaos at American's ticket counters. There were long lines at every kiosk and even longer lines at the checked bag line. After finally checking in at a kiosk, my son could not print his boarding pass because the machine had run out of paper. I had been standing in the checked bag line and when we approached the employee and explained that we had a luggage tag, but the boarding pass had not printed, she directed us to another line that had easily more than 60 people! I then approached another American Airlines employee and asked for assistance and she was incredibly rude and offered no help. Fortunately, we were able to get my son's boarding pass on the phone. Despite a ridiculous security check-in line, he was able to board his flight on time. A friend of his that was on the same flight had to forcefully argue with other employees to get on the flight because they said they had closed the gate and would not let him board even though he was checked in!

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Alberto Garcia    (USA)

Last January 13th I took my flight back from Madrid, Spain to JFK, AA 095, we started our flight two hours late, not being informed about time or anything similar, we were not allowed to leave the area inside the airport where our plane was, and if we wanted they said that they would open our carry-on bags totally. We boarded and when we were boarding they informed us that we had a stop in Goose bay, Canada to have gas otherwise we would not be able to get to New York, the stop was 1h 30m long. We arrive in JFK so late that almost everybody lost their connection. However, we were given new connections once we got out of the plane. But, they did not give us any voucher or anything in compensation for this horrible flight. I would try not to fly American Airlines again.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Anne Thompson    (UK)

Flight Miami to LHR, 13/01. Technically the flight was good, early arrival, very soft touchdown and excellent information from flight deck. However, the cabin service left a lot to be desired. The crew were very unhelpful and the food poor by the standards of comparable airlines. Our return trip to the UK (operated by AA) was far inferior to our outward trip to Boston operated by BA. Given the choice at a comparable price level I would not fly with AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by J Patwin    (USA)

Itinerary: Chicago - Miami - Campinas, Brasil. Flight from MIA to VRP was canceled because the AA crew did not show up. Service crew for the make-up flight were very nice and accommodating, but the AA staff at MIA were not very friendly at all and we had to search for them after seeing our flight was canceled. On all legs the planes were AA and not very clean at all. Overall, I lost a couple days traveling and when I arrived I felt dirtier than when I have flown better international carriers, not to mention no personalized inflight entertainment or WiFi. Two thumbs down for international AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Marci Sams    (USA)

I recently flew from Brazil to Los Angeles on American Airlines and it was the longest, most uncomfortable international flight I have ever been on. In addition to the dirty looking and old interior, the broken flush button on the toilet and the only semi-functioning "entertainment" device, the staff were rude and had horrible attitudes. One flight attendant actually rolled her eyes at me when I asked for headphones. Her response was "Don't you have an iPod or something that you have headphones for". When I said no she rolled her eyes and said she would see if they had any, but everyone brings their own headphones now. The food was horrible as well. It was the most unpleasant flying experience I have ever had. I will avoid flying American Airlines at all costs in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by L Dham    (Australia)

New York to San Francisco, 20 Dec 2014, AA179. San Francisco to Los Angeles, 25 Dec 2014, AA2378. Los Angeles to Las Vegas, 30 Dec 2014, AA182. Las Vegas to New York, 4 Jan 2015, AA120. My partner and I were extremely disappointed with everything. All 4 flights were delayed not by few minutes but by hours. Later the staff would board all passengers on to the aircraft and in all the flights we would just sit on the tarmac for hours. Usually when you board the plane the CSD or the purser of the flight would greet you with a friendly smile and say welcome aboard or good morning etc. But in all the flights with AA they could not care less about passengers. Flight attendants were too busy talking to each other or. The grooming of the flight attendants was atrocious! Above all the flight attendants on all 4 flights were very rude and arrogant. They don't even bother to look or smile or talk politely with the passengers when they are boarding the flight. The seats in economy was so uncomfortable with minimal leg room. There is no comfort. It is okay for short flights but not very good for long flights like New York to San Francisco or Las Vegas to New York. We paid extra for extra legroom economy seats. Well AA should learn what extra legroom means. There was no extra legroom. The seats are terrible for tall people. I will never recommend AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Wylie Paul    (Australia)

LAX-SLC on 18 July 2014, SLC-RDU on 25 July 2014, RDU-JFK on 28 July 2014. Typical AA flights and lounges- pretty ordinary. Not a patch on Qantas or BA. Ground staff at RDU did not recognise or acknowledge an international RTW J class ticket - denied baggage allowance. Had to pay $25 to check 1 bag. Why don't AA enforce carry-on bag rules? Many passengers with 3 or more overweight bags. Would we recommend AA to family & friends? Probably, as they are 'less bad' than the opposition.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by A Brown    (USA)

SAN-ORD-ROC and BUF-ORD-SAN. I decided to fly paid first as the cost when booking only a few weeks out was only slightly more than economy. I've flown AA first domestically many times so didn't expect much but flying so early in the morning it was nice to have a slightly larger seat to sleep. I'm only writing this review to point out what a drastic turn for the worse after the merger. The food quality, while on domestic F is never great, has always been better than the rest on AA. It is now absolutely disgusting. The one positive is that first is now offered on American Eagle - a very minor improvement of course for a flight so short in duration. I really hope management wakes up and realizes that they are ruining what was a much better than average airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Jeff Gorham    (USA)

Traveled three times round trip LAX to LHR in the last 4 months of 2014: flights 136 and 135. Equipment - 777 300ER (I go out of my way to fly this plane as it is the newest and most comfortable). Business Class. Seats J12, J13, and J14 (window seats). I can't say enough good things about the seat (private and roomy flat bed), the inflight entertainment (15" screen), and the noise-canceling headphones (sized large enough to surround the ear rather than mashing it as do the headphones on BA). In all instances the food from LAX to LHR was not good and certainly not worth the calories (the same can be said for BA). Better to eat in the Admirals Club Lounge (more on this later). The food from LHR to LAX was much better and excellent on one flight (must have a better kitchen at LHR). The LAX Admirals Lounge is comfortable enough but it is unconscionable that long-haul, business class passengers are required to pay for everything beyond bar snacks and coffee. I have never paid for food in the business class lounge of any other comparably-sized airline. And we were mislead (cheated) by one of the wait staff. As an aside, BA shares the Admirals Club Lounge in San Diego and as a BA passenger I wasn't charged for food in the lounge there. The LHR Admirals Club Lounge is certainly spartan but well-tended and thankfully much less crowded than the BA lounge. In fact the AA lounge was just about empty on my three visits. Yes the food in the AA lounge is limited compared to BA, but at least you don't have to pay extra for it as you do in all of the Admirals Clubs in the USA. Check-in was spotty at best and miserable at worst. At LHR we had to use the check-in desk for coach passengers because there was only one business class desk in operation. I would recommend AA but only for passengers flying business class in the 777 300ER aircraft.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 January 2015 by Lisa Noel    (Italy)

I just flew on a Milan-Miami route with AA and thought the interior was extremely run down and dirty. No personal TV's, poor choice of 2 films for a 10 hour flight, cheap headsets, dirty and broken toilets and disgusting food. My kids flew over thanksgiving one from Dallas to Madrid and another from JFK to Milan and the plane conditions were the same. Will never fly again AA on International flights!

American Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by J Jensen    (USA)

NRT/ORD, 777-300 I hesitated booking F/class on AA, even with award travel, because of their flight attendants' general culture of hostility towards passengers but I reasoned I'd be asleep for much of the flight. We sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes before taking off. When returning to my seat from the lavatory, after we'd finally reached cruising altitude, a flight attendant looked at me coldly, and barked, "Put your seat belt on!". There was some turbulence, but this was not the way to handle it. The purser was friendly and efficient, but he referred to my husband as "Mr.---- ", and called me "Dear". The new seats were very comfortable, though, and I liked that my husband and I could spin the seats to face each other while dining (although the food was surprisingly bad). I slept well on the comfortable flat bed. If the food and service were comparable to the seat, it would have been a great flight. Until then, I'll continue to book transpacific premium travel on Asian carriers.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by D Thorpe    (UK)

I dread flying with American Airlines but with their association with British Airways (Who are fantastic) I have to for internal American Flights. Last flight was from Boston to New York with an onward BA connection to London. Arrived at Boston airport for check in, very rude AA check in attendant who was unhelpful and just plain miserable. Onwards to the departure gate, screens indicated a 25 minute delay. Was not too concerned as had around 4 hours to connect onto BA flight once landed in JFK. We then spent 2.5 hours waiting at the gate with hardly any communication from AA staff apart from "Its a weather delay", turns out it was due to a faulty aircraft door. Anyway the four hour connection time was fast approaching and people were starting to become annoyed and very irritated. Finally ushered onto the aircraft at speed as we only had a window of 25 minutes to board and be airborne, if not flight would be cancelled as the crew would be out of hours. We boarded the aircraft and took off with around 4 minutes to spare. Seatbelt signs stayed on for the whole flight and apparently due to adverse weather the crew would also remain seated so no food or drinks would be served. I have honestly never been on an AA flight whereby the crew are smiling happy to serve you and are actually grateful for you flying with them and I have taken around 8 AA flights including across the pond, the attitude at times is appalling. On the same holiday I was on a delayed Delta flight from Atlanta to Boston and the difference between staff was unbelievable, was even given a free beer and sincere apology for the delay and more importantly was kept informed and the crew were cheerful and happy. AA manners cost nothing!

American Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by V Pili    (USA)

I am a long time traveler and loyal to American Airlines, however, whoever designed these "new" planes must have been 2 feet tall. The design is terrible. I am a slim 5'10" and sat in a "premium" economy seat from Washington DC/LA on a nearly 6 hour flight. I sat next to two other tall people making it even more unpleasant. I will start with the good, American has finally come into the 21st century and provides individual screens for in flight entertainment but still not nearly as good as Virgin America which also offers many free viewing options, TV, etc. Chargers, USB are improved as well. Now the bad - the leg room and more so the seat/tray table configuration (even in premium) is appalling, and even worse if the person in front of you reclines their seat, which is highly likely. In my case they did and my drink ended up in my lap. If the seat in front is reclined you are pretty much trapped. The head rest "wings" that allow you to rest your head from side to side are so small anyone with a normal size head could not possibly use. They are ridiculous. The seat pocket basically holds nothing, forget stocking up on magazines and books for your long flight as you will be carrying them in your lap or chucking them on the floor. Though it's nice to fly in a nicer and newer plane it is just shocking that no consideration was given to traveler comfort on these new planes especially if you are a over 5'2". Not sure how the American or Boeing CEOs didn't catch this. They must have only tested out first class or they are all really short!

American Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Liam Wills    (USA)

AA174 (Raleigh RDU-London LHR) on Dec 23 2014. We initially boarded the old rust bucket that is the 767-300 only to be disembarked a couple of hours later due to mechanical problems. They told us mechanics would have the problem fixed in 2 hours, only for the inevitable announcement, 3 hours later, that they couldn't fix the plane and that we would depart the next morning. AA did provide hotels overnight, but it was another 2 hour ordeal with 250 passengers lining up to see ONE representative. The next morning, we all made our way to the gate, boarded the same plane, which the captain announced had been fixed and tested, and waited for departure. Only, we never departed. One hour later, the captain announced the plane was STILL not fit to fly, to the annoyance of us passengers. We had to wait a further 7 hours at the airport for another AA rust bucket 767 to come save us from London. After a 24 hour delay, and 3 separate boardings for 1 flight, we finally made it to London, Christmas morning. My return flight (AA105) from London LHR to New York JFK operated on a brand new 777-300 was of course flawless. Lesson learned and tip: Do everything you can to avoid flying the 767 because chances are you won't be flying. They were good planes back in the 90's and 00's but they're unreliable these days. Moreover, if you want entertainment and comfort, avoid 767s at all costs. Ultimately, AA is a good airline if you fly the right planes.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by G Sekula    (USA)

Dec 10 & 15 Economy flights - DCA to LAX & back. To LAX we were forced to sit row 11 even after we reserved "main cabin upgrade". Crew member informed us that the aircraft was switched. Then, on the way back from LAX to DCA Dec 15, after paying extra for the upgrade ($81 for my husband's 11D & $78 for my 11E - Boarding Group 1 already included), I had to pay on top of that $15 each for Group 1 boarding - the website just did not allow me to proceed with on-line check in! Our multiple calls to Customer Service/their response were really unacceptable! E- mailed the AA Senior Leadership, no courtesy response at all. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by M Riley    (USA)

January 1st, Denver to Dallas, Dallas to Wichita Falls. 5 hour delay in Dallas, then canceled our flight. Told us no flights until Sunday/Monday, refused to pay for food, hotel, rental, and wouldn't give us our luggage. Ended up paying for my own hotel and splitting a rental with 3 other passengers. Luggage still in Dallas with no eta to get to me. 3 different calls to make a claim on luggage, all three have said different information, messed up my address each time, and can't tell me why it wasn't delivered on next flight. Zero customer service. I will never fly AA again. I'll drive to Dallas and pay 3x as much to park my car to fly with anyone else.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by D Liveris    (USA)

On flight from Austin TX to Manchester UK on 12/21/14 - paid for the additional leg room which could be better, but was ok, however, the seats are the most uncomfortable seats ever. The more leg room you get, the narrower the seat gets! 8 hrs in a cramped seat is ridiculous. My husband and I had seats 15a & b and left the armrest up between us to give us room for our arms, the passenger in seat c I am thankful to say did the same thing. Seriously, removing rows of seats to gain additional leg room is one thing, but reducing seat widths to cram in more seats is in my opinion the most ridiculous idea they ever had. The staff were not the best and a little on the rude side. I have flown AA every time I had flown to the UK but I am considering a different airline for future trips due to the seats mainly. The captain did a great job - the entire flight was smooth.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by L Woodfine    (USA)

I had to book a flight from Orlando to Manchester UK the day after Christmas for a family emergency, so naturally looked for the most affordable flight, which by a few dollars was AA, also taking into account flight times. I have flown this route with many other airlines in the past, and AA was by far my worst experience. Flight left 40 mins late, but did make up the time with a tail wind so we arrived on time. Some of the cabin crew were downright surly, others were very pleasant. As I can't sleep on planes I rely on watching movies to pass the time, but with no in-seat screens there was nothing to watch. I will never fly AA again, even if it saves me money.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Mary Kemp    (UK)

We travel by AA to New York every Christmas and always enjoy the journey. We travel economy class, therefore no frills, nevertheless it's good value, the staff are kind and the food and drinks are perfectly acceptable. This year our return journey was postponed due to illness and I would like to say a huge "thank you" to AA for their efforts to get us back to the UK. Assistance was arranged at JFK and LHR, without which we could not have managed. Excellent service and greatly appreciated.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Laura Mederos    (Argentina)

Flight AA900 EZE-MIA, I traveled with my husband and we had window and alley seats but they are so very uncomfortable, the leg space is almost non existent. The arm rests are very weird because that is where the entertainment control is so you put your arm on the control and it sets of constantly.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by M Tonelli    (USA)

My family and I traveled down from Chicago O'Hare (ORD) to Los Cabos (SJD) and back for winter break. The first flight was not good. The seats were uncomfortable, and the IFE (even though it was the ceiling types) were not working. All they gave was drinks and food was way over priced. This made a 4 hour flight seem like a 9 hour flight. There were no delays or problems with check-in. On the way back we were delayed a day, but that was our choice. The same plane on the way back had a faulty fuel pump, and could not be fixed at Cabo. So if they were to fly the aircraft was way overweight. The pilot announced that 20 people had to leave the aircraft or everyone could fly but only 40 baggage could be kept onboard. The flight was full so that would leave at least 200 people stranded in ORD. My family had no intention to fly a 4 hour flight with a faulty fuel pump, so we exited the aircraft. Plus, who wouldn't want an extra day in a tropical place? American Airlines gave us one night at an all- inclusive resort on the ocean with free transportation to and from the resort. They had also booked us for the flight the next day. That was the good part. The next day the gate was crowded because they were trying to board two flights at one gate. It was a total disaster. We were delayed about 1 hour but managed to get to ORD ahead of schedule.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by S Nilalie    (Canada)

I flew from Montreal to NYC and then form NYC to San Juan (Puerto Rico). Staff extremely nice. Planes on time. But most of all we forgot our camera on the plane and they found it and kept it for us at the luggage claim in the San Juan airport.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Laurel Bailey    (USA)

American Airlines seriously needs to reconsider its business plan of overbooking every single flight on one day and how that affects passengers trying to make connections when one flight is late. They also need to train their employees to treat passengers with respect and provide more telephone customer service options that don't leave you waiting 45-51 minutes. My flight was 90 minutes late out of Miami and I therefore missed my connection to San Francisco and apparently every other flight was overbooked for the next 24 hours which is completely insane.