American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

American Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by J Rose    (Australia)

Multiple North American flights during month including ORD-AUS, AUS-DFW, DFW-PBI, EWR-DFW, DFW-YVR, YVR-DFW, DFW- PBI, PBI-LAX. Traveling through the US and Canada during November found me on several AA flights, most in first class with upgrades, a few in economy. On balance the flights were ok, nothing special, no notable problems. Most flights were on or close to schedule, service was generally better than expected. The biggest negative is AA's equipment on these routes. All B737 or MD Super 80 aircraft. Generally confining for mid-long haul domestic and the S80s are just so old it is a wonder that AA still uses them as much as they do - not a very passenger friendly aircraft.

American Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by Geraldine Hoban    (Ireland)

I flew with American Airlines on October 20th this year from Dublin to JFK with my husband and two sons 12 and 9. The staff onboard that day were excellent, we had the back seats just beside the staff and each one of them could not have made our flight more comfortable. Being our first flight to America and travelling with our youngest son who has autism it was quite a worry but the staff made him and us very comfortable. We are travelling back to the states in 2015 and I will make sure it is with American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Shannon Broyles    (USA)

What began as a simple flight from San Jose, CA to New York, NY (JFK) connecting at LAX, has resulted in frustration and anger. Upon arriving at San Jose international airport with two hours to spare, my fiancé and I each checked a bag. Our flight was projected to leave at 2.45pm PST, and read 'On Time' on the departures kiosk. Without any announcement or updates, our flight arrived late, had to be refuelled, and in turn was 30 minutes delayed. We missed our connection at LAX by five minutes, and after spending far too much time in the customer service office, were rebooked on a 9.30 Delta flight to JFK. Told there was no need to check-in, all we would have to do is go to the gate and speak to the representative at the counter. An hour before our flight, we walk to the appropriate gate, only to be told that while we were listed as passengers, there were no seats for us and that American should have booked seats on our behalf. We returned to the customer service office, spending an hour waiting in line. An American Airlines rep took us from counter to counter, trying to find us two seats on any plane. The only availability was on a place via Nashville to LaGuardia, with an hour layover. As we were boarding, we were pulled off the plane because he had found us a direct flight to JFK, which would make finding our bags that much better. Finally arriving in JFK at 7.15 am, our bags were nowhere to be found.

American Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by H Stewart    (UK)

JFK to Orlando in First. Check-in staff very helpful to our party of 6 after arrival from London. Given access to Admirals Club because long-haul had been business class. Pleasant lounge, but only stayed about 20 minutes. Priority boarding and seats comfortable for a medium-length domestic flight. Captain announced that he would delay take-off whilst 35 passengers from a delayed European flight made the transfer, and took off when about half that number had boarded. But the real surprise was when the flight attendant came round and said that because of the timing (early afternoon) there was no catering on the flight. Thus a 3-hour flight with just several rounds of a basket containing nuts, biscuits and crisps - not a first class offering. Other than that the whole experience was much better (with arrival only slightly delayed) than I had feared given some of the reviews on here.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by M Thompson    (USA)

Paid for F Class JFK-MCO via MIA. AA's JFK Terminal is beautiful. Dedicated F class check in with arrogant staff, agents should be mindful of vocal tones and questions. Premium Security line ended up not being during slow time of day as TSA putting 3 non premium bodies to 1 in the same scanner line even though another was available. I purchased a day pass for the Admirals Club as I was quite early for my flight. The JFK Lounge is very nice, service was good, staff were very kind, especially the lady at reception. Purchased a Fruit and Cheese Plate and was surprised in a happy way. Flt to MIA in a 757 intl config. with angle lie flat 2X2 seated at the window. The seats are awkward to get in/out of when upright, impossible to escape a window seat with another either sitting or laying down. I tried the angle lie flat position and lasted less than 30 min. in that position, simply uncomfortable, might as well stand in the galley. The Lay-z-boy option of recline is very nice. PDB was offered no restrictions. Nice looking IFE, pity I was never offered headsets to use it. Cocktails with nuts in a bowl served after take off then dinner. AA seems to have downgraded the nut mix with less premium nuts in the mix. The dinner was the biggest shock. The Pre ordered Lasagne was vile and the salad pathetic. Club in Miami is ok with pleasant staff. MIA-MCO in 757 Dom. config. FA's awful on this leg. Airplane broke after we boarded, no one seemed to have a clue what to do next. Gate agents and Admirals Club unable to contact ops via phone for updates. No words. Next plane boarded later than promised with no reason offered. Short Flt to MCO uneventful after 2 plus hour delay. There are some things to improve at AA but there is a lot right.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by N Gates    (UK)

Based upon our experience of American Airlines' flights from the USA to the UK several years ago, and to reduce the effects of jet-lag, my wife and I decided to take the daytime flight AA90 which departs Chicago (ORD) at 09.05 and arrives in London (LHR) at 22.45. In retrospect, this was a mistake. The Chicago Admiral's Club lounge was most disappointing. Surprisingly, no food (unless you paid for it) was available except a few sad-looking bagels and muffins. So we were hungry when the flight took off. We were seated in seats 2A & 2B (the first row on the B767-300ER aircraft) and the seats were comfortable enough with good leg room. However, the aircraft was certainly showing its age. In business class (there is no first class on this flight) there are no seat-back screens and the passengers are given small tablets and Bose headphones on which to watch movies. The movie/music selection was poor and was nothing to get excited about. The food that we were served (breakfast and a pre- landing "snack") was probably the worst airline food we have ever experienced. It was virtually inedible and it compared extremely unfavourably with the food that we were served in British Airways business class on our flight to the USA three weeks earlier. Furthermore, the cabin attendants were virtually invisible. On the eight-hour flight I was never once offered tea or coffee - all I was given was a bottle of water to drink. Two hours before the flight landed in London I had to find a flight attendant and ask for a Bacardi and Coke - no flight attendant ever asked me if I would like something to drink. Unlike British Airways business class, on our American Airlines flight we could see no sign of a basket in the kitchen area containing anything to snack on (like bars and sweets). American Airlines, do you think that this is acceptable? Just what are business class passengers paying several thousand dollars/pounds over the economy fare for? (You do not arrive any earlier than the people sitting in the back). The food and service we experienced on our flight from ORD to LHR were completely unacceptable and, based on our recent experience, fear that it will be a very long time before we fly on American Airlines in business class again.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by N Gates    (UK)

My wife and I flew from San Jose (SJC) to Chicago (ORD) on AA1530 in first class. San Jose is certainly a very pleasant little airport but, unfortunately, there is no American Airlines Admiral's Club room for first and business passengers. Our seats on the aircraft (3A & 3B - the first row of seats on the B737-800) were fairly comfortable and there was enough leg room. We had pre-ordered our meal on-line and it was described as miso chicken. Our meals, although nicely served, were of very poor quality, so much so that my wife refused to eat any more after the first few mouthfuls. The flight attendant who looked after us was pleasant. courteous and helpful. But the three-hour flight, as far as we were concerned, was spoilt by food of very poor quality - not what you expect when you are travelling first class.

American Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by P Arriagada    (Switzerland)

DFW to LHR on new 777-300. Although American has updated their fleet and now have a business class seat that competes with most European carriers, they really need to improve the service standard and the selection of their cabin personnel. Flight attendants were in a hurry to finish service and rude, the quality of food just average and the presentation and amenities, nothing remarkable. There was not the feeling of being in Business class on this flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Clive V Drake    (UK)

LAX-Las Vegas (Return). Given its only a 40 minutes flight each way - not much can go wrong. The Flagship lounge at LAX was fine. Above expectations. Decent food and beverages. Spacious and quiet- and one I'd recommend. Flight both ways was on a brand new (you could "smell" it was brand new) on an A321 - a plane I'd not heard of - but apparently the "new" big brother to the A320. Great plane - in fact I'd say superb. Nice roomy first class that I'd be happy with on a 3-4 hour hour flight. Nice FAs. Plane both ways was rammed from end to end. Both flights left on time and landed ahead of schedule. What was noticeable was the gloomy faces on the return; assume this was down to losing to many dollars at the casinos - rather than the AA experience. All in all - a good experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Storey John    (UK)

AA 262, B737, RSW to DFW, 1st November 2014, good flight in First Class, comfortable seat, food surprisingly good for short flight, no personal IFE, seat not as good as US Airways A320.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Storey John    (UK)

AA 50, DFW to LHR, 777-300, 1st November 2014. New Business class seating 3A, beats BA's Club World product hands down, IFE excellent, Food OK - welcome drink in plastic cup. Overall would always look at AA's Business product if it was the new one over BA.

American Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Katrina Daniels    (USA)

I flew American for the first time today, and will never fly with them again. My entire experience was horrible. My flight was delayed for 2 hours, causing me to miss my connecting flight. So in addition to having already spent my whole morning in an airport, I had to have my second flight rescheduled, which cost me an additional 2 hours of wait time. Then my second flight is delayed 30 minutes because, according to the pilot, they hadn't removed the Jetway tunnel. Finally, I arrive at my destination, only to be informed that my luggage ended up on a different flight from mine, and that I would have to wait an additional hour and a half before that flight arrived. Never using them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by Larson Dave    (USA)

We flew AA from Minneapolis to Chicago (ORD) to NY (LGA) - JFK to Paris (CDG) and MIA to MSP. After reading many bad reviews, I though I would say that we had no bad experiences at all. we were given an exit row seat on our JFK-Paris flight. The food was normal airline food, not great but I enjoyed the meals. I am 6 ft 2 and I had enough room on all my flights. The service was pleasant. The onboard entertainment was lacking on the 767 to Paris, but I slept so it did not bother me.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by H Brown    (UK)

Manchester to Florida via Chicago. I had no real issue with the internal flights to Chicago, but have a number of issues with the long haul flight to Chicago. The seats were in no way suitable, very little leg room and I can imagine that it was very awkward if you didn't know the person sitting either side of you. The food wasn't too bad on the way out, but if you suffered any dietary requirements it was tough. The flight ran out of certain drinks outbound and on the return journey. On the return journey we were sat at the back and we had to settle for what was left food wise, as they'd run out of one of the options. The majority of the attendants were either rude, sarcastic and had obviously missed the training session on customer service. Inflight entertainment was poor, AA seem to be stuck in the dark ages with one tiny screen for every few seats. Overall I was very disappointed with the service which made a long flight seem even longer. I've definitely been spoilt with Virgin Atlantic, who I will be using from now on.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by T Donnelly    (Canada)

We always travel First class where available as we appreciate the extra details. We booked our family vacation first class from LAX to Maui on AA after a four day stop over in Disneyland. We had an early morning ride to the airport from Disneyland and check in went smoothly. The agent directed us to priority screening and The Admiral Lounge to relax in while waiting for our flight. Once we got to the lounge they tried to charge us $50 per person for lounge access. Normally with a first class ticket lounge access is part of that cost on all the other airlines we travel with. Not with American Airlines. They just chipped away at customer value by that one action for our family, and I would recommend not using them if possible.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by A Gaitan    (Argentina)

Flew New York to Las Vegas - October 22nd, flight #45. I´m really surprised that American is not considered Low Cost. First, you must do your own check in and pay $25 for your first luggage. Second, you have to paid extra if you want a comfortable seat. I paid $59 to stretch my legs and I choose the first row after business class. There was a division panel so in fact there wasn't much room. Third, in 5 hours flight only 1 complimentary drink and if you want food have to pay for it. Fourth, They promote the internet onboard but this is not free, $4 for email and more if you want to surf the net. The flight boarded with 1 hour and half delay due to a problem with a luggage compartment door. Seated onboard for another hour and then half an hour waiting for our turn to take off after leaving the gate.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Clive V Drake    (UK)

LHR-LAX. I bought the First Class fare to Las Vegas via LAX as it was quite good value for money and I knew I would be getting AAs new First Class product on the 777-300ER - it was certainly a better bet than BAs Club World on an ageing 747 - the only alternative. I avoided the AA Flagship lounge at LHR T3 as I had read so many bad reviews. The BA alternative was okay. The plane was brand new and the new seat was fine. There are only 8 seats in the AA 1st Class on this plane. Nothing spectacular. It was roomy, good TV, good seat controls and a neat feature was the rotation to face out of the window. Food was, well just okay. Nothing very stylish. A trout timbale to start. A nice spicey butternut squash soup came next. Boring salad - seen better in M&S. Chicken main was - well okay. Had better in my local pub. FAs were friendly and called passengers by name. For the money it was acceptable. Certainly not worth $10-12,000+ return which is often the regular list price to LAX. It lacks the "class" wow factor which should be obvious when you fly in first.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by G Reynolds    (UK)

LHR-ORD return, I have come to the conclusion that AA are probably the worst Airline I have flown with. First of all the planes wouldn't look out of place in a museum, I haven't seen such an antiquated IFE system since the 1990's - suspended CRT monitors and they have the gall to charge nearly $6 a head for headphones. The food is awful with no choice to speak of - breakfast on both flights was a choice between omelette or scrambled egg, since my daughter will not eat egg dishes on the outbound flight we asked if they could provide an alternative were curtly told we should have ordered a special diet meal. On the return flight we upset the crew by taking my daughters breakfast on board with us. The final meal - no choice just pizza. On both flights it was served so late that no sooner had we opened our cutlery than we were begin badgered by give up our trays as the crew needed to prepare for landing. During the outbound flight having slept for four hours and with no response to the call button I walked back to the galley to request a drink for myself and my family only to be told "You have run us all ragged on this flight, so we have closed up the galley and are resting so you'll have to wait for the meal".

American Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2014 by C Cutts    (UK)

Used American on four flights SFO-LAX-MCO and TPA-MIA-LAX, a mix of 738-800s 757 & A321. Despite losing a bag and a 2hr delay which where handled very well, all flights were fine with nice crew, seating and PTV on the A321. They don't serve food in economy on internal flights and I realise they are not SQ or CX but for the price I paid they are fine. I was able to use the lounge and book MCE seats because of my Oneworld status which made a little difference. My only complaint is compared to other Oneworld alliance members there lounges are miles away from either BA or CX.

American Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2014 by Kelsey Hines    (USA)

First time I flew American (I usually fly Delta) and I must say that overall I was impressed with the airline. On the way to NYC we departed on time and even got there 30 min early (never has happened to me before). The staff were helpful, and the efficiency of the service was a huge plus to me. On the way back to Detroit we did board a bit late and sit on the runway for a while but again, was a quick flight and really not much that I can complain about. Would recommend American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by P Wright    (USA)

San Diego to Miami - seating was so tight I couldn't read a magazine when the seat in front of me reclined. Extra charges for everything. A truly horrible experience but it was non-stop and they were punctual.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Allison Mulvaney    (UK)

Never again. We booked to travel from Manchester to Orlando. The aircraft in both directions was old, cramped and uncomfortable. The temperature of the cabin was inconsistent. The entertainment was rubbish, no seat back TVs which have always been a standard for all international flights that we have travelled on. The aisle TVs could not be seen from window seats which was pointless and dark sections of the movie could not be seen at all. Food was terrible, my salad arrived uncovered and food was average. Ground crew were frantically trying to get people to give up seats, flight was overbooked with many families not sitting together and children split from their parents on the flight! AA was not much cheaper than my other flight options. Avoid travelling with them!

American Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by M Lane    (UK)

My husband and I have just flown with AA from LHR to MIA and back and was very disappointed at the poor service and the rude and off hand attitude of the cabin staff in economy. As former Cabin crew myself I was astonished at the poor, and lack of, service on board. On the outbound flight, there was no service for over 2.5 hrs as turbulence was expected. There was no attempt at any service during this time and the meal and drink were almost flung at us. I don't recall being offered a hot drink! No more service until the snack service which was an undercooked pizza. Pretty basic for a 9 hr day flight, the return flight was no better. No drinks were served with breakfast as more turbulence was expected! There was no turbulence - in my opinion the crew didn't leave themselves enough time to carry out a full service. Considering the cost of the flight and the other ways airlines have of extracting money from pax, such as priority boarding and choosing seats etc, I expected better service and at least some courtesy! We felt that the service we received was unsatisfactory. I will not be recommending American Airlines after our disappointing experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Streb Lovell    (Taiwan)

LAX to ORD, via St. Louis, one way in first. Both flights on time. Food was very good. Staff was very professional. All in all, a very nice experience. Not much entertainment wise, but these flights are not that long.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Nigel Key    (USA)

AA is an embarrassment to US hospitality and service. I frequently fly business class transatlantic - have you tried to get past a neighbor who is lying flat to reach the aisle? It's almost impossible, as the seats are so badly positioned and designed. And what about the Business lounge H at Heathrow, the food available and decor are awful compared to any other major world airline - yes, including some US competitors. Finally, I am tired of the grumpy geriatric flight attendants that seem to dominate the ranks. All US airlines have lost ground compared to their European peers, but AA is down at the bottom of the pile.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Laura Fulton    (UK)

Awful experience. The cabin crew are amongst the rudest, least helpful people you are likely to come across in life. I was travelling with two small children, 2years and 8months. Having spent the majority of the flight on my feet rocking my 8mth old to sleep she finally fell asleep. Breakfast arrived, unfortunately I knocked the tray onto the floor. The member of cabin crew stepped over it, ignoring it. When I apologised and asked for help to pick it up he curtly said he would get it later. The breakfast was strewn all over the floor in front of the toilet. I had a sleeping baby in my arms. When another passenger woke up half an hour later my fellow passenger was kind enough to pick the items up.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by David Shortall    (Canada)

My wife and I travelled overnight to Rome on AA on Oct. 1 from JFK. It was very disappointing. There were no in seat videos on the Boeing 767. The overhead screens continued to play movies until just before landing which prevented me form sleeping. The economy section food was uninspiring to say the least with stale dinner rolls and a wedge of cheese for dessert. This is our last international trip on AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Canavan Alison    (UK)

This was my first and last time with American Airlines. Booked with British Airways from Dublin to Orlando. Flight out was fine as it was with BA but return was with AA - as they are partners of BA I thought the service would be the same. How wrong I was - flight was 2.5 hours delayed which meant we missed our flight from Dublin to Glasgow. I had to pay £190 to rebook flights. We were only allowed 1 checked bag each but with BA we were allowed 2 each. The stewardesses only came round once with drinks service and you had to pay for spirits. Plane seemed old. No inflight entertainment system in the back of seat instead TVs that came down where everyone had to watch the same film. No leg room at all. Very narrow seats that were extremely uncomfortable. I never complain about anything and when I read the reviews before our flight I thought they were exaggerated but honestly it's the worst flight I have ever been on and I wouldn't fly with them again even if it was free.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by J Humeau    (France)

I flew from CDG to JFK on October 14th. It was the cheapest direct flight, which was quite punctual. So, the basis is 100% fulfilled. But, the overhead compartment opened during take off and things fell down. It reopened during landing. When I left the plane, I said it to the steward, he did not ask me where it was located. Just something common. In addition to this, half of the flight was in the dark because of an electric malfunction, that prevented us calling for assistance. That is the visible part of the aircraft for the passenger. To fly in an old plane, ok, but it has to be nicely maintained.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by D Smigaj    (USA)

Always delays, even when the plane is the first one out in the morning. Frequently when there are going to be weather delays the airline won't cancel so you can make alternative arrangement until you have sat all day waiting. I fly frequently and American always has some excuse for why they can't help their delays. Sick of this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by A Dhuka    (UK)

I was flying from Miami - Sao Paulo on AA929 on the 10th July 2014, on a 772ER in First. Having arrived from LAX, 2 hours prior I was absolutely exhausted and was hoping to get some sleep on this leg. Boarding was smooth, and the flight took off on time, once the aircraft had reached cruising altitude and the seat belt sign was turned off, I made my way to the galley and, requested one of the two FA's (both were busy discussing their personal problems, rather then attending to passengers) to turn down my bed, I received a shocking, impertinent response from her: "So you want me to push a button for you". Disgruntled and furious, I prepared the bed myself, and slept for the remainder of the flight. Around an hour before landing I was poked, and woken up by the same rude, flight attendant. At that point I expressed my frustration and told her she was not fit for purpose, and shouldn't be working customer service orientated role. American Airlines has a good product in First (for a North American airline), I managed to sleep comfortably; however their poorly trained rude staff make it an unpleasant experience. Upon completing my flight I cancelled my return with AA, and subsequently purchased a new flight with TAM, which has a far superior product and customer service, it's a shame they're suspending their first class on all routes from early next year.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by K Lim    (USA)

October 9, 2014 AA 137 DFW to HKG. Flight departed Dallas pretty much on time. Once airborne, hot paper towels were distributed following by drink service. Complimentary beers and wine. Shortly after drink service, lunch was served followed by another round of drink service. Special vegetarian meal was provided. Meal consisted of rice and chick peas curry with a side salad with olive oil dressing and two pieces of melon as desert. Tiny quantity but tasted decent and edible. About 7 or 8 hours into the flight, a mid flight snack was served with drinks. Three pieces of vegetarian wraps and a fruit salad was served. Less than two hours before landing in Hong Kong, another meal was served. This time the meal was a cold pasta salad with two pieces of cantaloupe melon. Flight was about a little over 16 hours. Seats in Main Cabin Extra were fairly comfortable. Flight crew was professional but lack the grace of Asian carriers flight crew. No other amenities were provided like other Asian carriers such as toothbrush, socks, eye masks, etc. However, a refreshments self service counter was set up in the galley and juices and water were available through out the flight. IFE was surprisingly good with many new movies and TV shows available on demand. No flight deck announcement but flight crew provided information in English, Cantonese and Mandarin. All in all a satisfactory flight with inexpensive fare compared to Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines but nothing special. Flight crew did not attempt to make passengers feel particularly welcome nor rude to passengers. Better than expected.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by R Heather    (USA)

I recently flew from Chicago to Dublin, Ireland on American Airlines - never again. The planes on both legs were filthy, the toilets stank, there was no individual IFE only shared screens on a 8.5 hour transatlantic flight, the cabin crew were the rudest, most unfriendly people I have ever met, everybody sitting around me agreed. People had asked for blankets etc. but never got them. And to add insult to injury we were delayed 2.5 hours out of Dublin, the crew didn't apologize and hit and the back so as to not have to deal with the passengers. If traveling from Chicago to Dublin I highly recommend either Aer Lingus or United. Both have good IFE, their planes are clean and their staff are pleasant and accommodating. American Airlines in my opinion has gone downhill despite all their promises of improving their planes and services.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Mike Silver    (UK)

Flew with AA Flight 734 Miami to Philadelphia to connect to Manchester on 30th September. The outbound flights both with US Airways. AA refused point bank to help me book the seats for 734 when I rang the UK customer services. Both agents need a training course, last one told me to arrange seats at airport. US Airways helped me with seats for my family on their 3 legs. I tried to log in to my flight the night before to book seats to together and found to my horror there were no seats together and I had no choice but to choose from the few left. Arrived at Miami and flight was showing on time. Shortly before take off it became a 30 minute delay. Many people waiting concerned as they had connections like us. Some had no boarding passes for their US airways flight as they could not print these on check in. Unhelpful lady at desk would not help meaning those without passes then had to go chasing around PHL airport to get passes printed. Flight landed 30 minutes late cue rush as the plane was packed and most had connections to make. We were lucky as our flight departed from Terminal A. Still it left no time to go to any shops or buy food and drink. For their abysmal customer service, for refusing to help me but worse by far, for the first time in my life having my entire family split up on a plane and having to sit with total strangers I will boycott AA. US Airways in contrast were very good and helpful. Goodbye AA they just don't seem to care anymore. Had to give 1 star for entertainment. Should be a 0 option as unless you pay you get nothing! Wifi? Oh yes, pay for that as well!

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Wayne Casimir    (U.S Virgin Islands)

October 6th 2014, MIA-STT. American Airlines is a low budget airline at best with premium airline prices. The service that American Airlines provide is on par with Spirit Airlines and Ryanair. Why pay so much to get there, when someone else gets you there for less with same level of service.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by R Rivera    (USA)

I have not flown for a long time but I must say I was very disappointed. I took a trip from Tampa Florida to Boston MA and twice fights were delayed. It's a shock to me that airlines charge so much to fly and then your experience is so poor. In this day and age delays should not be happening for this amount of time. I cannot consider them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Holewinski Roseanne    (USA)

I took a flight from Phoenix to Miami with Nassau Bahamas my final destination. I was extremely disappointed in the first class service. On a 3.5 hour flight we were offered one glass of either wine or water and twice a snack. Granted it was a red eye flight, regardless the service should have at least offered a breakfast and coffee/tea. We landed at 7.30 Miami time which is long past morning coffee. This is the second time I took this flight and won't travel it again.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by L Evans    (UK)

Flew from Manchester to New York and it was by far the worst airline I've ever flown with. Old tired plane with aisle screens - shocking when flying international. I couldn't even listen to the film as something had broken off inside where I was meant to plug in my earphones. The flight attendants response? 'Oh, I'm not sure what I can do about that.' Disgusting customer service. The so called 'entertainment' consisted of 1 film then American programmes that I've never even heard of, then it was turned off altogether 2 hours before we landed! The staff were very abrupt and just looked fed up - the food was hands down the worst I've ever had on a flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by J Hilton    (USA)

This is the first time in about 15 years that I have flown AA. Never again! This airline doesn't care about customer service. Our flight out of DFW was delayed 4.5 hrs. Never was there an announcement. The gate changed 5 times. The flight being delayed was never addressed. DFW airport at AA is absolutely awful. While sitting for 5 hours and speaking to other passengers we found out the majority of flights were delayed for some reason or other. There were few, if any gate representatives around. Nothing was explained to anyone.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by R Dunigan    (Canada)

Round-trip Toronto to Dallas, Sep 29 - 30. New A319 on both segments - aircraft clean and shiny. Paid for premium seat and well worth the $80 for the round trip. Lots of leg room, exit row on return segment. AVOD and AC power available to all seats. Perhaps it's the new hardware making everyone happier - cabin crew was polite and friendly on both legs, in contrast to several other AA flights in recent years.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by K Bergstrom    (USA)

Traveled with AA MIA to SFO and return. Oct 1st and 5th. 738 on the first leg. 5.5 hr min flight, one beverage service offered. Return flight 757 and 2 beverage services offered. Pay extra for better cabin seats, pay to check a bag and hardly a smile. Really felt like cattle and not a pleasant experience. Waited for one hour to receive bags on the return arrival in Miami. It is truly a shame to see the deterioration of service in the industry, and the total lack of customer care.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Jen Hayes    (USA)

Over crowded flight. They actually overbooked. Had 2 hour delay and another hour delay on the connecting flight. Had to literally run to the connecting gate due to such a late arrival, the gates were very far apart. Plane was filthy. I don't think they clean them ever. Seats are small and uncomfortable. Can't even fully open the tray tables. I'm not a large person and I was unable to do it, so I'm sure large people can't use them at all. However they do have tablets built into the seats, but you can't do much on them unless you pay a high fee. Will not fly with American Airline again.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Seamus Ryle    (Ireland)

My Wife and I flew 28th Sept, Vancouver to DFW to Orlando, Business/First. Breakfast omelette cold, sent back asked for a second warm scone instead! We were not the only pax to send the cold omelettes back. Admiral Club in DFW refused us entry. Never refused entry into Airline lounges before showing First/Business class tickets? My Priority Pas came to the rescue allowing me entry into a different lounge at DFW. The staff seemed very disinterested in what was going on and this includes a non existent cabin check prior to landing at Orlando. Will never waste my Dollars on First/Business on American domestic flights in the future. Nearly forgot - had to pay for wi-fi!

American Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Lauren Pasternak    (USA)

Original flight was from LGA to DFW. After flying in circles in the air for half an hour we finally re-routed to land in Little Rock, Arkansas. We sat on the runway in the plane for at least two hours with no offerings of good or water, even after the 4 hour flight. I understand completely this is weather related and only looking out for our safety however this was not handled well at all. When asking the stewardess for water- it's like it was a huge inconvenience. We finally deboard the plane in Arkansas and were told to wait around to see if the flight is officially cancelled - an hour later, it was. Hotel rooms were not offered to be paid for, not even a meal or anything at all. Everyone paid out of pocket and waited to de board the next morning. Back at the airport at 6am and we were told to use our old boarding passes and go directly to security- they refused us and made is wait back in the long American Airlines line to get a new boarding pass. My final destination was Austin, which was also cancelled. They put me on a flight to Houston in first class which was unexpected. However I decided to just rent a car and drive to Austin from Dallas but I was told that there was no possible way to get my bag because it was listed as priority to Houston. Well, our flight from Arkansas to Dallas was delayed an hour then the flight from Dallas to Houston was delayed another hour. First class wasn't anything special honestly, more leg room and drinks served in glass instead of plastic. Finally arrive in Houston, waiting at baggage claim and guess what - my bag isn't there. I was told it was on the next flight coming in from Dallas which infuriated me after I wanted to originally take my bag in Dallas as it was. Waited around the airport for another hour or so and finally get my bag, with a big orange sticker on it saying "priority". Yeah, right. Never will fly American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

JFK-LAX, First class. Good but not overwhelming as it should be. Seat on A321 is good but has some problems, very hard to get out or in while even partly reclined. Food was mediocre in quality although presented nicely. Flight crew was wonderful but honestly the whole experience is either over priced or under done. Jet Blue Mint on my outbound was much better.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Khan Akbar    (USA)

Travelled for work to Santa Fe from Washington Dulles via Dallas Fort Worth. All the planes were on time and clean. No entertainment offered in MD80, old planes they should retire them. Everything on sale including headphones for $5 and you can take home after use. My company paid $1100 for this economy class ticket which is probably worth $300. Staff was all very friendly and offered whatever they can so acceptable behaviour there.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by T Roberts    (USA)

Last night I flew from O'Hare to Dublin, Ireland with American Airlines. I am a seasoned transatlantic traveler and have flown all airlines from North American to either Shannon or Dublin, Ireland. On boarding the 767-200 aircraft I was astonished that there was no AVOD on the place, only the large overhead screens which went out 15 years ago. Everybody sitting around me was annoyed as we all had to watch the same movies for the 7.5 hour flight. It is probably going to be the same on the 8.5 return flight - never again American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Glyn Genin    (UK)

AA104, JFK-LHR, 20 Sept - Long queues at "Priority" Check-in at Kennedy, thirty minute wait as agents struggled to help passengers from strike-bound Air France. TSA security a shambles (not the airlines fault). Admiral's Club a little crowded, but a haven. Greeted by smilingly efficient desk staff. Bartender knew the drill, two stiff Grey Goose and Tonics swiftly dispensed (but cheap and nasty plastic glasses?) Boarding was smooth and quick, cabin crew a tad overwhelmed trying to stow overhead bins on this full to bursting flight. Main Cabin Extra (19D) seat would be well worth the small surcharge, but complimentary to Ruby and above frequent flyers anyway. Great IFE, OK food dished out promptly after take-off. Croissant, juice and coffee before early Heathrow arrival. Bags already delivered by the time I got to the belt. From being the third world poor relation of the Oneworld Alliance, American seem to be vastly improved; new aircraft and good service at an excellent price. My next transatlantic trip with them (to Chicago in November) is on a 767 with a retro, 25 year old cabin fit though - watch this space.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by A Man    (UK)

Recently flew DUB-ORD - 22 year old 767, ORD-LAX-SFO 737's, SFO-LAX-LHR 737 and new 777. Apart from the fact that I got there and back safely, I must say what a disappointment the airline is in terms of inflight entertainment, comfort, staff and food/drinks. I fly regularly from the UK, mainly East on EU/Asian airlines or within Europe and I now realise how spoilt we are here. When comparing AA to QR, EK etc they just do not compare in any regard. The old 767 aircraft in a very tired state still had analogue buttons for their armrest music entertainment system and huge drop down crt displays. Food was awful and very poor quality on takeoff. The pre-landing snack, a deep dish pizza was much better albeit on the greasy side. Domestic US services were on 737's - one with the new sky interior and 2 older interiors. All perfectly fine to get me from point A to B. Plenty of rather expensive food purchase options in the terminals and ability to bring food on board was good. I did not think much of the in- flight food menu for purchase - limited choice and not great quality it would seem. Nice touch for in-flight wi-fi although I didn't use it. The biggest disappointment, and a real embarrassment was the supposed 'flagship American service' from LAX-LHR. Super cramped seating in 10 abreast layout in economy meant no elbow room whatsoever. Very poor in-flight entertainment system - hard to navigate, difficult to find music titles plus generally limited selection. The catering was shockingly poor, for dinner a chicken dish which was flavourless and served with a salad with grated cheese and dressing, some crackers with cheese spread, a biscuit for dessert and a cold and chewy roll. Breakfast was similarly disappointing and consisted of a yoghurt, orange juice and a horrible leathery croissant, served with jam and butter. A continental breakfast on a service between the states and the UK? Where is the sausage and eggs? Even Qatar give the above and a hot dish as their breakfast in better quality. The embarrassment really comes with the announcement at the start of the flight, where we are introduced and welcomed to their 'flagship' service. It is laughable. On a plus note the drinks service was perfect. Crew were very hit and miss on all sectors. 767 is way above the 777 in terms of comfort and space. I would much rather have 9 abreast in a 777 or a 22 year old 767 then this flagship 777. Good USB/power options though - that's probably the only thing that they got right on AA136. I would go out of my way to avoid AA in future unless price is the only factor.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

AA #202, LAX/BOS in First Class, Sept 28. On time both ends, old first class. Crew worked very hard with drinks, Samsung tablets, and then lunch. Seemed a bit hectic, but the galley space is close to seating. Tablets require a lot of the crew, but are fine to use with good selection, easy controls, and good definition. Lunch was respectable, and crew remained available throughout the flight for drink refills and distribution of snack before landing. A good experience with obvious efforts made to live up to advertised quality.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Glyn Genin    (UK)

AA101 LHR/JFK 10Sept. Efficient and friendly One World priority check-in. Comfortable Admiral's Club - breakfast baked goods, decent coffee. Smooth boarding onto fresh-from-the-factory Boeing 777. 19D in Main Cabin Extra - more legroom, 9 abreast config (10 across in the main cabin). On-time departure. Excellent communication from flight- deck. Top class entertainment (but take your own headphones) IFE can be viewed from gate to gate. Good cabin service - food and drink could be better. Complimentary beer and foul wine on offer. Half an hour ahead of schedule at New York. Plenty of agents staffing passport control. Prompt baggage delivery. Good flight at bargain basement fare - well done!

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Matthew Jackson    (United Arab Emirates)

Manchester to Las Vegas, via Chicago. I currently live in Dubai and travel quite frequently using Emirates, so I have probably been spoilt. The planes we flew on with American from the outside looked very modern, however once we boarded things were very different. The interiors were outdated and looked like they had been in use since the 70's, the interior was dull and the seats were like something out of a scrap yard, mine was actually broken from were the trolleys had banged into it coming down the aisles. None of the economy seats had single televisions which I just could not believe for a long haul flight! Only business class are given portable tablets to watch the entertainment. The food was very poor and tasteless and the flight crew were bickering between themselves from take off to landing. I was extremely disappointed with this airline and I have vowed never to fly with them again, please be warned as we spent a lot of money on this holiday only to be left disappointed by this carrier.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by F Casey    (Canada)

Travelled last week from Vancouver to Lima via Dallas on a paid business class fare. Entire experience was a huge disappointment, the flight crews were indifferent, seats were uncomfortable, especially in the 757's from DFW to Lima. Did not get my pre ordered meal on the Lima - DFW return. As a business class passenger, the Admirals Club at DFW was underwhelming. Had to pay for water. Will travel any other airline unless there is no other option. What a horrible product.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Jeffrey Kingston    (USA)

Flights r/t SFO-JFK in the new A321 in C SFO-JFK and F on the return. First the F flight was simply the best domestic flight I have experienced in at least a decade. The new F seat is essentially the same as CX uses for long haul business, a lie flat seat which is entirely private. The IFE screen is huge and the selection of movies is vast. Service was superb and attentive. The food was the best domestic food I have had for a decade (of course nothing will bring back the old days of caviar and meat carved on a trolley from the old days). The outbound C experience was excellent. Seat very comfortable and spacious. Service was good and meal acceptable. Should add it is a pleasure to fly on a brand new aircraft.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Laurent Mastey    (USA)

I flew with American Airline from CDG to NYC and was outraged by the aircraft used, a 757 with a very uncomfortable Biz Class, old seats and basically an outdated aircraft. The inflight service was just OK, and it is far from the standards used by American when flying to Asia. On the return trip, it was a 767 and the experience was as awful as the way in. There is no comparable Biz Class in any Major European airlines, American should rethink their product and services approach on these routes. Pathetic!

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Virginia Medina    (USA)

Fight #1636 from Miami to Washington DC on Friday September 24, delayed for an hour due to the problem in Chicago, then sat for 1.5 hrs inside the plane with no AC due to a maintenance issue. Typical of this airline - being treated like cattle.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Patrick OConnor    (USA)

I flew on 23rd Sept.2014 on AA291 from Dublin to New York and after over 30 years flying with American, I can say the airline is in deep trouble, the staff obviously did not care about the passengers and if that is what happens in business class, I feel sorry for economy class, which is a cattle truck anyway. No water offered, no wine offered, no announcement about baggage pick-up at JFK. You had to ask for everything and the body language was why are you bothering us.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Lam Linda    (USA)

I had to take my parents to the airport today to fly from SEA to JFK. We were on Alaskan Airlines flight powered by American Airlines. They were early to the airport for check-in at Alaska but got directed to go to American Airlines because for some reason we needed to check in there. The Alaskan Airlines employees were very cheerful and eager to help. Then when we showed up to American Airlines we were not even able to check-in even though they had 43 minutes before takeoff. They were 2 minutes late for automated check in. Then they had to wait in another line which gave them another flight which added an extra stop in Dallas. This changed their travel time from 5.5 hrs originally, to a 9 hr journey. We had to accept even though we tried to plead them to get them on the original flight. The terrible thing is that they got to their standby gate 15 minutes earlier than the original flight was going to take off. And by no means are my parents fast people even with the normal lines in TSA. They could have made their original flight! I will never do third party travel sites again and the stupid confusion on flights was terrible.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2014 by D Bergstrom    (USA)

Flew this week Austin to Boston, via DFW. Coach on the way up, First on the return. Always impressed with the AUS- DFW flights, even in coach, they still serve the always full 124 pax a beverage on a 35 minute flight. MD-80 to DFW, Main Cabin Extra, as always comfortable and once again beverage service. B738 in Main Cabin Extra to Boston, seats were fine, the plane was clean, the coach flight attendants on this route were somewhat disinterested. Only one beverage service and offer for food on a 4 hour flight. B757 with old interior on return. Didn't know any plans with these seats still existed. I did forget how large the seats are. Old seats, but still comfortable. The two First Class flight attendants on this 4 hour leg were fantastic. Excellent service, good red wine with dinner and a (4) course meal, including a smoked salmon appetizer. Great food, great service as always. Terminal C Admirals Club was a nice rest spot for our 90 minute lay over. MD-80 in First on the short 32 minute trip to Austin. Still a nice drink in their new glassware with Malano cookies out of the snack basket. AA still excels any other domestic carrier with regards to food offerings and beverage service, especially in coach.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2014 by C Vician    (USA)

Flew last month business class, JFK-CDG. Flight delayed almost 4 hours, announced 1 hour prior to departure. The attendant in the lounge told me we were lucky we had a plane. After boarding I was told the seat was not operational, there was a barely visible sticker. But they did not know to what degree. The pilot had to look it up in his log. This took some 30 minutes. Verdict, seat does not recline at all! They moved me to the back, an arms reach from the coach bathroom. Each time someone went in and came out door slamming, flash of light. There were 2 other much more desirable seats, 4 A,B, it turned out those were for the staff. AA knows this are undesirable seats and it does not book them for their employees. The service on AA compared to other airlines is pitiful. With a few exceptions they treat you like they are doing you a favor. You never see a smile. The food most of the time is just plain bad. Due to the delay I almost missed my connection. After arriving to my final destination I found out that my luggage did not make it, they found it 2 days later. Due to having to file paperwork for the missing luggage I missed my connection. AA is trying to blame it on the other airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2014 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

AA #2251, BOS/DFW on 9/8/2014 in first class. Flight left and landed on time. Seats comfortable, though not the new lie flat. No seat AVOD. But the service, the lunch were fine. Lots of refills for drinks, updates from the flight deck. Connecting at DFW to Qantas to Sydney, and transfer of luggage at DFW successful. A happy experience all in all.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by David Iles    (UK)

Miami - Los Angeles. Booked the tickets in advance so the cost of travelling first class for a near 6 hour trip was good value against the price charged for economy. Check in quick and we boarded on time with no delays. The crew were excellent, attentive without being intrusive, used our names when asking what we would like to drink and all made us all feel welcome on board. The food was very palatable. IFE was limited to drop down screens as the aircraft whilst scheduled to be one of the newer A321s in two class configuration was swapped out for an older 737 still wearing the old AA livery hence the 2 stars for IFE. Overall a very positive experience with AA on this flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by John Brewer    (USA)

This is my first and last time to fly AA. Booked my vacation 6 months in advanced for Sunday to Sunday in the Dominican Republic. Arrived on Sunday morning to find out AA switched our flight to their sister company US Airways. Went to US airways to check in and they had no record of the switch. Went back to AA and after a search located our reservation. However, this took so long that we missed our flight and they didn't have anything else going out on that day. They rebooked us for Monday morning and tried fixing it with $200 voucher (my non refundable room was $300 plus missing a day of vacation). On Monday morning (5.15 am flight) we showed up and checked in and got on the plane it is now 6.15 am and we are still sitting at the gate because an exterior light is out. You would thing they could have fixed it overnight. Anyway, no matter how the rest of the flight goes they can't change my mind about the low scores on this review.