American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Wayne Casimir    (U.S Virgin Islands)

October 6th 2014, MIA-STT. American Airlines is a low budget airline at best with premium airline prices. The service that American Airlines provide is on par with Spirit Airlines and Ryanair. Why pay so much to get there, when someone else gets you there for less with same level of service.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by R Rivera    (USA)

I have not flown for a long time but I must say I was very disappointed. I took a trip from Tampa Florida to Boston MA and twice fights were delayed. It's a shock to me that airlines charge so much to fly and then your experience is so poor. In this day and age delays should not be happening for this amount of time. I cannot consider them again.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Holewinski Roseanne    (USA)

I took a flight from Phoenix to Miami with Nassau Bahamas my final destination. I was extremely disappointed in the first class service. On a 3.5 hour flight we were offered one glass of either wine or water and twice a snack. Granted it was a red eye flight, regardless the service should have at least offered a breakfast and coffee/tea. We landed at 7.30 Miami time which is long past morning coffee. This is the second time I took this flight and won't travel it again.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by L Evans    (UK)

Flew from Manchester to New York and it was by far the worst airline I've ever flown with. Old tired plane with aisle screens - shocking when flying international. I couldn't even listen to the film as something had broken off inside where I was meant to plug in my earphones. The flight attendants response? 'Oh, I'm not sure what I can do about that.' Disgusting customer service. The so called 'entertainment' consisted of 1 film then American programmes that I've never even heard of, then it was turned off altogether 2 hours before we landed! The staff were very abrupt and just looked fed up - the food was hands down the worst I've ever had on a flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by J Hilton    (USA)

This is the first time in about 15 years that I have flown AA. Never again! This airline doesn't care about customer service. Our flight out of DFW was delayed 4.5 hrs. Never was there an announcement. The gate changed 5 times. The flight being delayed was never addressed. DFW airport at AA is absolutely awful. While sitting for 5 hours and speaking to other passengers we found out the majority of flights were delayed for some reason or other. There were few, if any gate representatives around. Nothing was explained to anyone.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by R Dunigan    (Canada)

Round-trip Toronto to Dallas, Sep 29 - 30. New A319 on both segments - aircraft clean and shiny. Paid for premium seat and well worth the $80 for the round trip. Lots of leg room, exit row on return segment. AVOD and AC power available to all seats. Perhaps it's the new hardware making everyone happier - cabin crew was polite and friendly on both legs, in contrast to several other AA flights in recent years.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by K Bergstrom    (USA)

Traveled with AA MIA to SFO and return. Oct 1st and 5th. 738 on the first leg. 5.5 hr min flight, one beverage service offered. Return flight 757 and 2 beverage services offered. Pay extra for better cabin seats, pay to check a bag and hardly a smile. Really felt like cattle and not a pleasant experience. Waited for one hour to receive bags on the return arrival in Miami. It is truly a shame to see the deterioration of service in the industry, and the total lack of customer care.

American Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Jen Hayes    (USA)

Over crowded flight. They actually overbooked. Had 2 hour delay and another hour delay on the connecting flight. Had to literally run to the connecting gate due to such a late arrival, the gates were very far apart. Plane was filthy. I don't think they clean them ever. Seats are small and uncomfortable. Can't even fully open the tray tables. I'm not a large person and I was unable to do it, so I'm sure large people can't use them at all. However they do have tablets built into the seats, but you can't do much on them unless you pay a high fee. Will not fly with American Airline again.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Seamus Ryle    (Ireland)

My Wife and I flew 28th Sept, Vancouver to DFW to Orlando, Business/First. Breakfast omelette cold, sent back asked for a second warm scone instead! We were not the only pax to send the cold omelettes back. Admiral Club in DFW refused us entry. Never refused entry into Airline lounges before showing First/Business class tickets? My Priority Pas came to the rescue allowing me entry into a different lounge at DFW. The staff seemed very disinterested in what was going on and this includes a non existent cabin check prior to landing at Orlando. Will never waste my Dollars on First/Business on American domestic flights in the future. Nearly forgot - had to pay for wi-fi!

American Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Lauren Pasternak    (USA)

Original flight was from LGA to DFW. After flying in circles in the air for half an hour we finally re-routed to land in Little Rock, Arkansas. We sat on the runway in the plane for at least two hours with no offerings of good or water, even after the 4 hour flight. I understand completely this is weather related and only looking out for our safety however this was not handled well at all. When asking the stewardess for water- it's like it was a huge inconvenience. We finally deboard the plane in Arkansas and were told to wait around to see if the flight is officially cancelled - an hour later, it was. Hotel rooms were not offered to be paid for, not even a meal or anything at all. Everyone paid out of pocket and waited to de board the next morning. Back at the airport at 6am and we were told to use our old boarding passes and go directly to security- they refused us and made is wait back in the long American Airlines line to get a new boarding pass. My final destination was Austin, which was also cancelled. They put me on a flight to Houston in first class which was unexpected. However I decided to just rent a car and drive to Austin from Dallas but I was told that there was no possible way to get my bag because it was listed as priority to Houston. Well, our flight from Arkansas to Dallas was delayed an hour then the flight from Dallas to Houston was delayed another hour. First class wasn't anything special honestly, more leg room and drinks served in glass instead of plastic. Finally arrive in Houston, waiting at baggage claim and guess what - my bag isn't there. I was told it was on the next flight coming in from Dallas which infuriated me after I wanted to originally take my bag in Dallas as it was. Waited around the airport for another hour or so and finally get my bag, with a big orange sticker on it saying "priority". Yeah, right. Never will fly American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

JFK-LAX, First class. Good but not overwhelming as it should be. Seat on A321 is good but has some problems, very hard to get out or in while even partly reclined. Food was mediocre in quality although presented nicely. Flight crew was wonderful but honestly the whole experience is either over priced or under done. Jet Blue Mint on my outbound was much better.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Khan Akbar    (USA)

Travelled for work to Santa Fe from Washington Dulles via Dallas Fort Worth. All the planes were on time and clean. No entertainment offered in MD80, old planes they should retire them. Everything on sale including headphones for $5 and you can take home after use. My company paid $1100 for this economy class ticket which is probably worth $300. Staff was all very friendly and offered whatever they can so acceptable behaviour there.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by T Roberts    (USA)

Last night I flew from O'Hare to Dublin, Ireland with American Airlines. I am a seasoned transatlantic traveler and have flown all airlines from North American to either Shannon or Dublin, Ireland. On boarding the 767-200 aircraft I was astonished that there was no AVOD on the place, only the large overhead screens which went out 15 years ago. Everybody sitting around me was annoyed as we all had to watch the same movies for the 7.5 hour flight. It is probably going to be the same on the 8.5 return flight - never again American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Glyn Genin    (UK)

AA104, JFK-LHR, 20 Sept - Long queues at "Priority" Check-in at Kennedy, thirty minute wait as agents struggled to help passengers from strike-bound Air France. TSA security a shambles (not the airlines fault). Admiral's Club a little crowded, but a haven. Greeted by smilingly efficient desk staff. Bartender knew the drill, two stiff Grey Goose and Tonics swiftly dispensed (but cheap and nasty plastic glasses?) Boarding was smooth and quick, cabin crew a tad overwhelmed trying to stow overhead bins on this full to bursting flight. Main Cabin Extra (19D) seat would be well worth the small surcharge, but complimentary to Ruby and above frequent flyers anyway. Great IFE, OK food dished out promptly after take-off. Croissant, juice and coffee before early Heathrow arrival. Bags already delivered by the time I got to the belt. From being the third world poor relation of the Oneworld Alliance, American seem to be vastly improved; new aircraft and good service at an excellent price. My next transatlantic trip with them (to Chicago in November) is on a 767 with a retro, 25 year old cabin fit though - watch this space.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by A Man    (UK)

Recently flew DUB-ORD - 22 year old 767, ORD-LAX-SFO 737's, SFO-LAX-LHR 737 and new 777. Apart from the fact that I got there and back safely, I must say what a disappointment the airline is in terms of inflight entertainment, comfort, staff and food/drinks. I fly regularly from the UK, mainly East on EU/Asian airlines or within Europe and I now realise how spoilt we are here. When comparing AA to QR, EK etc they just do not compare in any regard. The old 767 aircraft in a very tired state still had analogue buttons for their armrest music entertainment system and huge drop down crt displays. Food was awful and very poor quality on takeoff. The pre-landing snack, a deep dish pizza was much better albeit on the greasy side. Domestic US services were on 737's - one with the new sky interior and 2 older interiors. All perfectly fine to get me from point A to B. Plenty of rather expensive food purchase options in the terminals and ability to bring food on board was good. I did not think much of the in- flight food menu for purchase - limited choice and not great quality it would seem. Nice touch for in-flight wi-fi although I didn't use it. The biggest disappointment, and a real embarrassment was the supposed 'flagship American service' from LAX-LHR. Super cramped seating in 10 abreast layout in economy meant no elbow room whatsoever. Very poor in-flight entertainment system - hard to navigate, difficult to find music titles plus generally limited selection. The catering was shockingly poor, for dinner a chicken dish which was flavourless and served with a salad with grated cheese and dressing, some crackers with cheese spread, a biscuit for dessert and a cold and chewy roll. Breakfast was similarly disappointing and consisted of a yoghurt, orange juice and a horrible leathery croissant, served with jam and butter. A continental breakfast on a service between the states and the UK? Where is the sausage and eggs? Even Qatar give the above and a hot dish as their breakfast in better quality. The embarrassment really comes with the announcement at the start of the flight, where we are introduced and welcomed to their 'flagship' service. It is laughable. On a plus note the drinks service was perfect. Crew were very hit and miss on all sectors. 767 is way above the 777 in terms of comfort and space. I would much rather have 9 abreast in a 777 or a 22 year old 767 then this flagship 777. Good USB/power options though - that's probably the only thing that they got right on AA136. I would go out of my way to avoid AA in future unless price is the only factor.

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

AA #202, LAX/BOS in First Class, Sept 28. On time both ends, old first class. Crew worked very hard with drinks, Samsung tablets, and then lunch. Seemed a bit hectic, but the galley space is close to seating. Tablets require a lot of the crew, but are fine to use with good selection, easy controls, and good definition. Lunch was respectable, and crew remained available throughout the flight for drink refills and distribution of snack before landing. A good experience with obvious efforts made to live up to advertised quality.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Glyn Genin    (UK)

AA101 LHR/JFK 10Sept. Efficient and friendly One World priority check-in. Comfortable Admiral's Club - breakfast baked goods, decent coffee. Smooth boarding onto fresh-from-the-factory Boeing 777. 19D in Main Cabin Extra - more legroom, 9 abreast config (10 across in the main cabin). On-time departure. Excellent communication from flight- deck. Top class entertainment (but take your own headphones) IFE can be viewed from gate to gate. Good cabin service - food and drink could be better. Complimentary beer and foul wine on offer. Half an hour ahead of schedule at New York. Plenty of agents staffing passport control. Prompt baggage delivery. Good flight at bargain basement fare - well done!

American Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Matthew Jackson    (United Arab Emirates)

Manchester to Las Vegas, via Chicago. I currently live in Dubai and travel quite frequently using Emirates, so I have probably been spoilt. The planes we flew on with American from the outside looked very modern, however once we boarded things were very different. The interiors were outdated and looked like they had been in use since the 70's, the interior was dull and the seats were like something out of a scrap yard, mine was actually broken from were the trolleys had banged into it coming down the aisles. None of the economy seats had single televisions which I just could not believe for a long haul flight! Only business class are given portable tablets to watch the entertainment. The food was very poor and tasteless and the flight crew were bickering between themselves from take off to landing. I was extremely disappointed with this airline and I have vowed never to fly with them again, please be warned as we spent a lot of money on this holiday only to be left disappointed by this carrier.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by F Casey    (Canada)

Travelled last week from Vancouver to Lima via Dallas on a paid business class fare. Entire experience was a huge disappointment, the flight crews were indifferent, seats were uncomfortable, especially in the 757's from DFW to Lima. Did not get my pre ordered meal on the Lima - DFW return. As a business class passenger, the Admirals Club at DFW was underwhelming. Had to pay for water. Will travel any other airline unless there is no other option. What a horrible product.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Jeffrey Kingston    (USA)

Flights r/t SFO-JFK in the new A321 in C SFO-JFK and F on the return. First the F flight was simply the best domestic flight I have experienced in at least a decade. The new F seat is essentially the same as CX uses for long haul business, a lie flat seat which is entirely private. The IFE screen is huge and the selection of movies is vast. Service was superb and attentive. The food was the best domestic food I have had for a decade (of course nothing will bring back the old days of caviar and meat carved on a trolley from the old days). The outbound C experience was excellent. Seat very comfortable and spacious. Service was good and meal acceptable. Should add it is a pleasure to fly on a brand new aircraft.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Laurent Mastey    (USA)

I flew with American Airline from CDG to NYC and was outraged by the aircraft used, a 757 with a very uncomfortable Biz Class, old seats and basically an outdated aircraft. The inflight service was just OK, and it is far from the standards used by American when flying to Asia. On the return trip, it was a 767 and the experience was as awful as the way in. There is no comparable Biz Class in any Major European airlines, American should rethink their product and services approach on these routes. Pathetic!

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Virginia Medina    (USA)

Fight #1636 from Miami to Washington DC on Friday September 24, delayed for an hour due to the problem in Chicago, then sat for 1.5 hrs inside the plane with no AC due to a maintenance issue. Typical of this airline - being treated like cattle.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Patrick OConnor    (USA)

I flew on 23rd Sept.2014 on AA291 from Dublin to New York and after over 30 years flying with American, I can say the airline is in deep trouble, the staff obviously did not care about the passengers and if that is what happens in business class, I feel sorry for economy class, which is a cattle truck anyway. No water offered, no wine offered, no announcement about baggage pick-up at JFK. You had to ask for everything and the body language was why are you bothering us.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Lam Linda    (USA)

I had to take my parents to the airport today to fly from SEA to JFK. We were on Alaskan Airlines flight powered by American Airlines. They were early to the airport for check-in at Alaska but got directed to go to American Airlines because for some reason we needed to check in there. The Alaskan Airlines employees were very cheerful and eager to help. Then when we showed up to American Airlines we were not even able to check-in even though they had 43 minutes before takeoff. They were 2 minutes late for automated check in. Then they had to wait in another line which gave them another flight which added an extra stop in Dallas. This changed their travel time from 5.5 hrs originally, to a 9 hr journey. We had to accept even though we tried to plead them to get them on the original flight. The terrible thing is that they got to their standby gate 15 minutes earlier than the original flight was going to take off. And by no means are my parents fast people even with the normal lines in TSA. They could have made their original flight! I will never do third party travel sites again and the stupid confusion on flights was terrible.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2014 by D Bergstrom    (USA)

Flew this week Austin to Boston, via DFW. Coach on the way up, First on the return. Always impressed with the AUS- DFW flights, even in coach, they still serve the always full 124 pax a beverage on a 35 minute flight. MD-80 to DFW, Main Cabin Extra, as always comfortable and once again beverage service. B738 in Main Cabin Extra to Boston, seats were fine, the plane was clean, the coach flight attendants on this route were somewhat disinterested. Only one beverage service and offer for food on a 4 hour flight. B757 with old interior on return. Didn't know any plans with these seats still existed. I did forget how large the seats are. Old seats, but still comfortable. The two First Class flight attendants on this 4 hour leg were fantastic. Excellent service, good red wine with dinner and a (4) course meal, including a smoked salmon appetizer. Great food, great service as always. Terminal C Admirals Club was a nice rest spot for our 90 minute lay over. MD-80 in First on the short 32 minute trip to Austin. Still a nice drink in their new glassware with Malano cookies out of the snack basket. AA still excels any other domestic carrier with regards to food offerings and beverage service, especially in coach.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2014 by C Vician    (USA)

Flew last month business class, JFK-CDG. Flight delayed almost 4 hours, announced 1 hour prior to departure. The attendant in the lounge told me we were lucky we had a plane. After boarding I was told the seat was not operational, there was a barely visible sticker. But they did not know to what degree. The pilot had to look it up in his log. This took some 30 minutes. Verdict, seat does not recline at all! They moved me to the back, an arms reach from the coach bathroom. Each time someone went in and came out door slamming, flash of light. There were 2 other much more desirable seats, 4 A,B, it turned out those were for the staff. AA knows this are undesirable seats and it does not book them for their employees. The service on AA compared to other airlines is pitiful. With a few exceptions they treat you like they are doing you a favor. You never see a smile. The food most of the time is just plain bad. Due to the delay I almost missed my connection. After arriving to my final destination I found out that my luggage did not make it, they found it 2 days later. Due to having to file paperwork for the missing luggage I missed my connection. AA is trying to blame it on the other airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2014 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

AA #2251, BOS/DFW on 9/8/2014 in first class. Flight left and landed on time. Seats comfortable, though not the new lie flat. No seat AVOD. But the service, the lunch were fine. Lots of refills for drinks, updates from the flight deck. Connecting at DFW to Qantas to Sydney, and transfer of luggage at DFW successful. A happy experience all in all.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by David Iles    (UK)

Miami - Los Angeles. Booked the tickets in advance so the cost of travelling first class for a near 6 hour trip was good value against the price charged for economy. Check in quick and we boarded on time with no delays. The crew were excellent, attentive without being intrusive, used our names when asking what we would like to drink and all made us all feel welcome on board. The food was very palatable. IFE was limited to drop down screens as the aircraft whilst scheduled to be one of the newer A321s in two class configuration was swapped out for an older 737 still wearing the old AA livery hence the 2 stars for IFE. Overall a very positive experience with AA on this flight.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by John Brewer    (USA)

This is my first and last time to fly AA. Booked my vacation 6 months in advanced for Sunday to Sunday in the Dominican Republic. Arrived on Sunday morning to find out AA switched our flight to their sister company US Airways. Went to US airways to check in and they had no record of the switch. Went back to AA and after a search located our reservation. However, this took so long that we missed our flight and they didn't have anything else going out on that day. They rebooked us for Monday morning and tried fixing it with $200 voucher (my non refundable room was $300 plus missing a day of vacation). On Monday morning (5.15 am flight) we showed up and checked in and got on the plane it is now 6.15 am and we are still sitting at the gate because an exterior light is out. You would thing they could have fixed it overnight. Anyway, no matter how the rest of the flight goes they can't change my mind about the low scores on this review.