American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

American Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Harrison Lu    (USA)

13 April 2014. AA1119 from Boston to Chicago ORD. AA1159 from Chicago to St Louis. There was a major delay due to the weather. So I checked with the crew at gate B30 before I board in Boston. She said AA1159 would also be delayed, so it's ok. While I was checking my flight connection, the other crew used the microphone and told everyone, "If you are woried about your connection, don't be." When we landed in Chicago, I checked the gate for AA1159 via my phone, status "In Flight". The gate was H11B so I went to the crew at H11A see what can they do for me. Since there were no more flights to St Louis, they can only schedule me for the first flight the next morning. I asked where I could stay for the night, told me I could stay at the gate or she could offer me a hotel for reduce rate. I decided to stay at the gate.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by L Tam    (USA)

Flight from LA to JAX via Miami was uneventful. Flight from JAX to Dallas was a total different story! Our flight left Florida at 7.20 am. After an hour in the air, the captain announced we had to land urgently in Birmingham, Alabama. Around 10 am, they told us the mechanic was on the way and would take one more hour! By noon, they announced there would be a plane coming from Dallas and should be in Birmingham by noon. We would be on our way and arrive at Dallas by 2.30 pm. I called an agent and was told there was only flight available leaving Dallas at 8.30 pm and arriving at LAX at 10.40 pm. We continued to wait and wondered what happened to the plane. The plane arrived in Birmingham at 3.00 pm. We were boarded by 3.20 pm. We were not moving for another two hours. Finally arrived to Dallas after 7 pm. Most of us had missed connecting flights and were told there would be an agent waiting for us at the gate to rebook our flights. There was no one waiting at the gate. I finally got on the next flight out of Dallas and felt lucky to be able to get on the 8.10 flight to arrive in LA at 9.40 pm. Arrived at LAX at 9.30 pm and told there was no gate available for another 20-30 min. We waited on the plane for 1 hr 40 min. I probably will not fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by R David    (USA)

4/13/14. Flew from Rochester NY to Chicago. Plane was 45 minutes late due to weather, taxiing from far reaches of O'Hare, then no crew at taxiway. Missed our connection to Seattle. All flights overbooked so could not get on via standby, had to stay overnight and pay for a hotel. Told our first class tickets through Travelocity were really Economy with instant upgrade, we ultimately went coach 20 or so hours late. Never again. They did give us two $300 vouchers good for future travel within a year.

American Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by Y Wilson    (UK)

We flew Heathrow to Puerto Rico, 2 adults and 3 children under 12. When we tried to check-in online there were only 5 paid seats together - the others were scattered around the plane. Clearly we couldn't sit the 3 children on their own so we contacted AA and were told we'd have to pay the extra (220) and book the paid seats, which we did very reluctantly. When we checked in at the desk, however, we were told we couldn't have the seats we'd booked and were given 5 others which were a 2 and a 3. During the second leg of the trip we were given exit seats which were not allowed for children as we were told they would be 'a good bargaining tool' for swaps. On the return we couldn't sit at all near each other: 3 of us sat on the very back row and 2 at the front of the plane. However, AA used BA as a carrier for the final leg - they had automatically allocated five seats together because we were travelling with children and allowed us onto the plane first - a completely different attitude from AA. I agree with former reviews - the seatbelt signs hardly went off on the AA flights which is unacceptable on long-haul. I have claimed a refund for the booked seats which we didn't get - am waiting to see if I'll actually get the money back.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by A Gaskin    (USA)

When we used to be able to fly through Chicago O'hare AA wasn't as bad. The last 12 times we've gone through DFW the plane sits on the runway after arrival for 30 minutes every time. This makes even an average time between connections tight. Then we get to our gate and the gate has changed while we're on the skytrain. And too often the flight is cancelled for no known reason. AA changes my seat unbeknown to me until check in which irks me. I do not care for the new 737s. All seats are 3+3 so there are no good rows and already tray tables are broken, lights don't work and I don't think they fix them often. My husband is a 'top' platinum so he doesn't have some of the problems I do but he's not pleased anymore either.

American Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by D Jones    (Middle East)

Have lived outside the US for 20+ years. Have flown many long haul flights to European hubs and then on to different cities in the US. We usually fly on British Airways (great airline) or KLM or Delta. For the first time, was forced (because of a change in flight schedules) to fly on American Airlines from DFW to London (Heathrow) yesterday. So many things wrong: seatbelt sign on for most of the flight despite only occasional mild turbulence. Not acceptable on a 9 hour flight. The flight attendants were not friendly or service oriented. They mostly communicated with each other and acted annoyed when interacting with passengers. or they just sat in the galley. On this long flight, a request for another small bottle of water (in business class) was denied: "Only one per customer". They did not come around even once during the night to offer drinks. Unless there is no other choice, avoid long-haul trips on this airline. The ground staff were a little better, still not customer oriented.

American Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by E Moya    (USA)

My husband and I have been trying to get home since 4/6/2014, we were booked on a flight at 4.10, after a one hour delay they cancelled it. We couldn't get booked on another flight so we had to stay over. They booked us on flight #2575 at 9.25 then overnight somehow we got cancelled even though we had recheck boarding passes. We were re- booked for a noon flight #2419. Then after being directed to 2 different gates and waiting in the airport for over 12 hours today 4/7/2014 our flights to Albuquerque were canceled. We were sent to 5 different gates during the 12 hours. 3 cancellations in 24 hours it's unacceptable customer service. We still don't know if we're actually going to have a plane at 8.20, flight #1285.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Randi Hathaway    (USA)

My husband and I were on flight 2224 from Las Vegas on April 4. The airplane was an S-80. We flew first class and were very disappointed. The only difference between first and the rest of the plane was a wider seat and meal. The plane didn't have movies or music. Bare bones plane for sure. Also a constant stream of people walking from the back of the plane to use front lavatory. Also, alcohol is plentiful if you drink, however, I wanted ice tea and that is not an option. Maybe they don't know that it is available in bottles or cans.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by S C Piontkowski    (South Africa)

Flew LHR-MIA. Seats are uncomfortable, Inflight entertainment is below par. Overall its better just to avoid AA by all means.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

AA997, DFW-EZE on 4 April - First Class. Overall a great experience. The purser was very personable and professional. 777-200 plane which has seen better days - for a first class seat (that I will say was super comfortable to sleep in as it was totally flat and they give you a thin mattress which makes it much better) there were so many little tears and things that made the seat look tatty. Food was good - appetizer, soup (great pumpkin soup), salad, chicken and veggies, and desert. In-flight TV on AA is always a joke compared to any other carrier - too few TV shows - too few updated recent movies - super small screen for a first class experience. But for the price and the overall service - AA wins on this flight. I have recently had a lot of flights and AA has been doing great. Keep up the great work!

American Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2014 by Stephanie Curl    (USA)

We flew in from Jamaica to Dallas Fort Worth Texas and our flight was delayed. The biggest problem was that there was little information given to passengers. After 2 hours we found out we were waiting for a crew to arrive from another destination. After being delayed 4 hours we finally got on the plane to sit on the runway for another 45 minutes. The pilot said we were being re-routed due to weather and did not have enough fuel and would have to go back to the gate to refuel. We reach the gate at 2am and wait to only be told the flight was now cancelled. This is where I truly get frustrated with the way things were handled. 150+ passengers are told their flight is cancelled but there is no other flights going into Louisville. You will have to find another way home or wait until Wednesday (6 days later)! We wait in line another 1.5 hrs to try and find a flight close to home, willing to drive the rest of the way. The gate agents have been no help whatsoever, it was 5.30 in the morning and they offered no cots or anything to us. There were no hotel rooms. They did give us a $12 voucher for a meal. Finally got a late flight almost 24 hours later to Cincinnati but now have to incur additional expense of renting a car to get home. Tried to get on a couple of standby flights but I have noticed that AA overbooked every flight and boots people off so stand by is a joke. Highly disappointed!

American Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by B Kelley    (USA)

Paid $1,700 for two seats. Airline website would not allow us to choose seats at time of booking. Return a week later to book and lo and behold only paid seats left. Call Airline and told unless we pay and additional $170 per person we will have to depend on the kindness of others to move seats so we can sit together. This is absolute crap. If you can't book your seats at time of booking then don't buy the ticket unless you're willing to pay additional $$$ to actually get a seat.

American Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Alan Bartz    (Germany)

We flew from MCO via MIA to Punta Cana. The first leg was fine and for an hours flight every was completely satisfying. The second leg from Miami to Punta Cana was a total disappointment for my first international flight with AA. At the airport I was rejected to enter the lounge as for flights to The Caribbean the access is excluded. This logic I will never understand. The two flight attendants have been absolutely passive in their service and spent their time rather with making jokes with each other or actively ignoring requests such as a glass of water or getting visa documents. One flight attendant had his hands in his pockets at all times - while going through the aisle. I have never been so disappointed from a Business Class flight before. For sure AA will not have me as a customer onboard again and I am glad that there are a lot of options on the US flight market.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by M Thompson    (USA)

AA 324, MCO-DFW in First. Flight on time, pre-ordered snack delivered cheerfully, pre-departure drinks offered. Inflight the Attendant could not do enough for everyone. Ordered 5 star connecting service and arrival service. Was met at the arriving gate at DFW and taken by golf cart to the Admirals Club in Concourse D. I was able to bypass the Admirals club check in line, handed Premium Drink vouchers, and told I would be greeted by someone else to take me to my next flight. Shortly afterward the weather turned horrible for about an hour. My new 5 star agent found me in the Admirals Club and asked if I had any questions. I had her check to make sure the plane taking me to Santiago Chile made it on the ground. She came back to confirm it was on the ground but waiting for a gate due to the weather. Near boarding time she collected me and carted me off to the gate. I was carted back to the Admirals Club, and asked to be kept informed of the situation. I was collected again and informed the new plane was ready but they were under tight time constraints to get it going due to crew time restraints. AA's Flagship suite is comfortable, the turn down service, pyjamas, slippers and kit were all very nice. The international crew in First save for one employee were polite but simply went through the motions. The food was decent. Filled out the Breakfast Card and awoke to a nice breakfast, and a wonderful view of the Andes as the sun was rising. Despite the Delay in DFW good job by AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by M Thompson    (USA)

I arrived 4 hours early for my late afternoon flight to Orlando after my cruise. I was confirmed in Main Cabin Extra. Miami has always been a "challenging" airport, but not having been there in over a decade it was a whole new challenge. My bag was 5 lbs overweight so I had to go buy a small personal carry item and remove 5 lbs from my bag. Needless to say a huge hassle. Since I checked in so early American did not offer to put me on one of the several flight before mine but they certainly did send my bag early as it was already in this huge mire when I arrived in Orlando. The security situation in Miami is a nightmare. Once finally through the drama, the new terminal AA built was nice, with allot more choices of things to do, but it seemed gate after gate I passed no one cleaned up the trash left by the customers. Flight boarded on time, I asked for some tissue, got it promptly, then only saw the Flight attendants during seat belt check before and take off and landing. They all seemed to pile into F class and offer multiple drink rounds. Main Cabin Extra is what AA Coach used to be, minus the service. We arrived on time and my bag had been waiting hours for me. No complaints.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by R Vines    (UK)

I hadn't flown American since the mid-80s, when the service varied between passive-aggressive and actively unpleasant. Things have improved since then. The service on two flights - business from Miami to San Jose and economy from Panama City to Miami - was fine and even friendly. But the entertainment, food etc show less sign of change.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by O Thompson    (USA)

6 flights with AA in the past month or two. JFK-MIA: Arrived at check-in counter on time. Staff were friendly enough and seemed to be at ease but maintained proper professionalism. Flight waited 20 minutes at the gate before taxiing because of some missing passengers. Nice well maintained 757, seats were comfortable although not the best, and flight attendants were nice. Rather bad entertainment. 2 hour flight, landed in Miami with no issues. MIA-MGA (Nicaragua): Had roughly a 2 hour layover until connecting flight was scheduled. Everything went smoothly, no complaints there. Flight into Managua was a little worse - 757 was a bit dilapidated and we had about an hour delay before taking off. Staff at the gate upon landing pointed us towards our destination and were very welcoming. MGA-MIA-JFK: Return flight went well, nothing really remarkable. Everything was on time, staff were nice and helpful, seats were alright. JFK-LHR: On one of the older 777-200ER aircraft. Staff very friendly and professional. One of the flight attendants even went as far as to sit down and conduct conversation with a few of the passengers during the flight, and gave off a very good vibe. Throughout the 6 hour flight the flight the attendants came around frequently and often were available to provide passengers with snacks and drinks whenever prompted. Seats were surprisingly comfortable, and the flight wasn't even half full so almost everyone in Economy had the chance to fully recline across the 5 seat middle aisle (One of the advantages of the 200ER over the 300ER). Meals were actually pretty decent, and I had few complaints. Fairly good entertainment, with a selection of about 30 films and 10 TV shows. Flight landed smoothly and we were quickly on our way through customs and security. LHR-JFK: The flight was a little more crowded, but there was still room to switch seats and there were a few open middle aisles to lie down on. Lunch was a small pizza which wasn't too bad. Flight landed smoothly, and there were staff at the door to greet us. Would fly again.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Robert Phillips    (USA)

I was traveling home from Palm Springs, CA. through Dallas. Flight was delayed 3 times through e-mail notification before any gate agent was seen. When I asked the young lady about our flight, she didn't know anything. After a couple of calls, she made an announcement. All I wanted was some info so I knew what to do next. After boarding and taxiing to the runway, we were told we did not have enough fuel to make it around the approaching storm. Then the flight was canceled and re-instated in about 15 minutes. After we did land 6 hours late in Shreveport, I called customer relations, and they were not helpful at all. I was offered $200 toward my next travel.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Ant Richards    (UK)

23 March. JAX to DFW to connect with a BA flight back to LHR (comment later). Aircraft MD83. I took this flight with very low expectations, following past experience and general comments. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Check-in at JAX was swift, friendly and cruised past security in no time; was offered Fast Track and then again JAX is not the busiest of airports in the US. Unfortunately there are no lounges for premium passengers unless you are flying DL or their Skyteam partners. Boarding was relatively ordered. Was greeted with a smile (first impression counts) and shown to my seat by the friendly stewardess. Unlike many European carriers on their shorthaul aircraft's, the premium cabins in this case do have distinct seating in their different classes. For the type of aircraft and duration of flight, I would say it was quite appropriate - no use expecting a flatbed or deluxe booth for a two hour + flight. Once boarding was complete, announcements were made, hot towels offered followed by a choice of bubbly, juice or water. Lift off was on time and flight pretty smooth most of the time. A few bumps here and there but, that's part of flying. Service was above my expectations, the stewardess was extremely friendly, helpful and fully justified the premium escence of the cabin. Main and only disappointment was the food. Not bad, but certainly not a First Class offering. On shorter Asian and European journeys, the offering is far superior in a comparable cabin. On the other hand, being a nut-allergy sufferer, the pre-lunch aperitif of warm nuts was a no-go for me, however, this charming lady went out of her way to get me an appropriate (and definitely yummier) substitute - corn chips with a houmous dip. Landing was a bit later than scheduled but beforehand, I was explained the best way of getting to my connecting flight. Surprisingly, and with a mere 40 minutes to spare, my bag even made it to my connection. Well done American!

American Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by D McDonald    (Canada)

Only drinks were offered on flight. Not even a bag of peanuts. The man beside us tried to buy food but said they were basically out and we were only a few rows behind business class. Flying from Toronto and connecting in Miami. Lost our luggage on our connection to Costa Rica. Had to wait 2 hours in Costa Rica airport for lost luggage and said would have it later that night delivered to hotel. Wasn't there the next day and had no idea where it was. No one would pick up the phone at the airport. Finally got it the following morning when we were at another hotel 4 hours away. First and last time.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by B Rosati    (USA)

Everything was fine, except they did not offer any food in Economy class (you have to pay for some poor snacks). Our flight was at lunchtime. The ticket fare was $500, you'd think they would manage to fit a sandwich or slice of pizza in the budget. The Business Class passengers were served snacks, hot meals and free alcoholic drinks. Outrageous.

American Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Marc Fuchs    (Germany)

Flight from RTB to FRA via MIA. Flight departed in Roatan 1hr delayed. After the immigration we missed our connection flight. So we had to rebook for the next day. Finding the airport shuttle to the hotel was very hard without any guidance. Rebooked flight to FRA via DFW was delayed for another hour so we thought it could get close again. So we asked for the gate for our connection flight. After reaching the gate we were told that this is the wrong gate and the flight is delayed or another three hours. All ground staff were rude and not willing to get us asap to FRA. The Entertainment system is not state of the art and sometimes not working. The crew were unfriendly. Food is a joke. Never again with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD-MIA on March 27. 737-800. Flight was packed and had Emergency Row window - my favorite seat 14F. Upon boarding F/A at door was all smiles - even joked with me while waiting for First Class passengers to get settled while I was at the door. Really fun group of FAs and all smiling. Flight was just about 3 hours and went by fast. Had cheese and crackers snack so not much but we all know the inflight catering in Economy is basically nothing so no complaints. Just bring your own food if you want something substantial. Nothing was shown on the TV's so not sure why - that's the only thing to really say was a let-down. Landed early and bag out quickly. Good job AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

MIA-POS, 28 March in Business Class. 757 had new seats and was 50% full so plenty of room. Departure was 1 hour late due to First Officer being 1 hour late to the flight (wasn't explained why but they kept us in the boarding area so we didn't have to sit on the hot plane). Flight attendants in Biz Class were great - super friendly and smiles. Purser came and greeted each passenger - and his partner FA was all smiles and anticipated your needs which was amazing. Food was really good - AA has changed its menu and very tasty and healthy. Flight was only 3 hours so went by quickly. Another "Thanks for flying with AA" from the Purser prior to landing. Keep up the good work American - really was excellent service.