American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Chris Dodd    (Australia)

From LA to Chicago on 22nd June on American Airlines. Perfect service from staff at the airport to FA's on the plane. I have read a lot of bad reviews on this website but can only say my husband and I found our flight more than we expected. Our luggage was delayed for about an hour but this was I believe only due to two planes arriving at the same time.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Phillip Evans    (USA)

Flight from Germany to Charlotte, NC to Huntsville, AL in 05/2014 was the worst flight experience. TV screen did not work, staff was not concerned after numerous requests. The aircraft had a malfunction before takeoff in NC, delaying us 3 hours on the taxiway. This caused a missed flight at the connection stop. American did not care whatsoever and we had to ask to get a meal voucher, but that was all that was given. They would only put us on another American flight that left hours later, putting us home in the middle of the night and needed to be at work the next morning. Worst airline ever. This review only covers about 65% of the issues experienced.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Mitchell Norman    (UK)

LHR-MIA-LHR. It is some time since I have flown AA transatlantic, after many years of having previously done so when both the hard and soft products were truly appalling. This choice came about as a result of the fare being two-thirds of the next best, so difficult to ignore. Both sectors were by B77W equipment with the new Business Class configuration. This is a vast improvement. The cabin crew actually seemed to enjoy being there (almost) although the sole male cabin crew member in Business on the return flight was extremely obnoxious. Food was ok- ish and whilst I had chosen my entrees on-line for both sectors, there was no record on board of any of my selections. The cabin crew told me that this on-line facility was a complete waste of time as it never worked. Overall, AA was better than my recollection of many years before but, hard product apart, it continues to be still a long way behind the alternatives.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by K Frietsch    (USA)

Booked flights for the husband and I from BOS to MIA in October. Received an email changing our flight times and seats after we had purchased and selected. Threw us off the original time and put another flight number in its place. Had no reasonable explanation other than they are re-figuring their planes! Really messed up our departure, for sure. The planes are so old and dirty. Couldn't even use the bathroom, as it was filthy on our last flight. The attendants were miserable! TV monitors were from the dark ages, not to mention the inside condition of the plane. It was falling apart from the inside. Could see the outer shell from my seat! Charge megabucks for low class experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Mitchell Norman    (UK)

MIA-BOG-MIA. Both sectors were flown by very tired B752s with equally tired cabin crews. I have been flying these sectors along with other Latin routes with (Latin) American Airlines, which bears little resemblance to AA mainline, for some 25 years on the same aircraft type with the same take-it or leave-it cabin crew attitudes. Wifi and in-flight power is heavily advertised on these aircraft but were not available on either sector. Both aircraft and cabin crew are in need of a substantial refresh.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Carlos Ramos    (USA)

Will never fly AA again. The experience at Dallas was terrible. Flight was late, therefore, missed flight. Boarded another flight, but told to get off due to mechanical problem. Very little information on what to do next. Sent to four different gates. Treated like cattle. Never made it out that day and no guarantee to fly next day. Forced to go to a different airport and buy another ticket on Southwest. No apologies by AA personnel. Customer service was the worst I've experienced in over 50 years of traveling.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Michael G Salter    (UK)

I travelled American Airlines on Flight AA55 from Manchester UK to Chicago. This was an awful flight. The aircraft had no in seat entertainment, the seats were old and uncomfortable, the headrests hardly lifted above the seat so for a taller person the backrest sticks in your back. In addition the staff were at best terse, at worst indifferent. I can only believe they are as fed up as I was being stuck on that aircraft. On the bright side it arrived on time, overall however it was a prime example of a truly budget flight, the only thing is I paid a lot of money for the flight. I only went this route because I needed to go to Chicago, never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Terry Smith    (USA)

I purchased a flight with American Airline to fly from Miami to New Orleans on July 3-7. They changed my flight to US Air, but didn't inform me until one week before flight. I paid for upgrade seats but it was not transferred over. Now what really bother me was my return trip home from New Orleans, well I didn't get back until a day later. Both airlines seemed to simply want to place blame on each other when they should be working together on rescheduling flights when they cancel them. American whom I booked with originally were of absolutely no use to me once they changed me to a US Air flight. Though it took many back and forth trips between the two companies finally a supervisor with US Air, provided me with some assistance in getting me booked on another flight to fly out a day later. It's ridiculous that it would take me 4 hours in the airport to get rescheduled, when I checked in well in advance (4hours) after my flight was canceled. I should not have needed a supervisor to get my flight rescheduled, all agents should be able to do it. I went through 5 agents between AA and US Air, and none were helpful. When airlines join forces to become one company, they should be operating as one not passing the buck and blame between each other.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Deborah Yang    (USA)

Took AA on a trip to Spain. En route, two of my three flights were delayed, almost causing me to miss a connection, and my baggage was lost - not sure if by American or one of the affiliated carriers. The worst was yet to come, however. My flight from Madrid to NYC was delayed by a couple hours, and so I was rebooked for my connecting flight. I wish I'd insisted on catching it, since it was delayed anyway, because what transpired after was unbelievable. The rebooked flight to DC was eventually canceled. We sat on the tarmac for 2.5 hours as maintenance repaired a broken chair, then a door, and then we lost our slot in the queue and had to wait awhile, and then my home airport suspended flights coming and going due to weather. Finally, the pilot took us back to the gate and told us our flight was canceled. 4 hours on the tarmac that day. Service to rebook flights was slow, and some agents were a bit snippy. Slept at the gate overnight for my early flight the next morning. Had a bad feeling when I saw people arriving through the same gate 15 minutes prior to our scheduled boarding time. Sure enough, we sat there for well over an hour as the tyre on the plane was being changed, and then the flight was canceled. Exasperated, I asked for a flight out of LaGuardia instead, and although it was delayed on the runway, I eventually got home, after four bookings from NYC to DC. Very tight seat arrangement on the planes flying back (because they were older). Food wasn't bad, and service on all the planes was overall pretty good. Service at the gate ranged from very solicitous to brusque. The airline seems to schedule flights too close together. On top of that, the planes on my return trip were all old and shoddy, hence the delays. So I ended up being booked for eight flights round trip when I was originally scheduled for just five. Seven of eight were delayed, and two of those led to cancellations. American didn't do much to compensate me for the inconvenience either. I will never fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Russell Conyers    (Bermuda)

Flew from LAX to JFK on AA292 in First Class, 14th July. A very good experience on a brand new plane, an A321. The seat makes the flight as it converts to a fully lie flat bed and I was able to get a few hours of sleep after having a nice hot breakfast. Good inflight entertainment, amenity kit, and a great cabin crew who seemed happy to be there. Well done AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Steven Koenig    (Brazil)

ORD-SEA first class. Standard first class seats. Nothing special, but comfortable. Lunch was surprisingly good. Glad we pre-selected the beef dish. Decent selection of beer and wine. Still don't like the fact that buying a domestic first class ticket doesn't get us into the airline's airline's club, but this is standard, at least among U.S. airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Gabriel Lee    (USA)

HKG-DFW. Check-in: no online check-in for some reason, had to do it at the airport. Good, no problem. Boarding: for all US-bound flights, they had to search all our hand-carry bags for water/liquids, and they do it in the middle of the bridge, where the air isn't moving very well and warm. I don't understand why can't they do it right before scanning the boarding pass. The bridge area is small, not a smart idea at all. I feel bad for those in a long line for the economy class. In-flight: Food/meals are very good, no complaints there. The seat is excellent with lie-flat bed and big screen monitor. One problem, there were several movies/TV shows that are shown available but couldn't get to it. Other than that, slept well and services were fine.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by G Chesney    (USA)

Just flew on Sunday, 7/13, on AA's new 777-300 International configuration in business class. I have to say that it was the very first time I have felt that a US carrier competed effectively with front rank international carriers. The seat was excellent. The overall quality of the seat was superior given the amenities, screen, etc. Just the slightest bit less comfortable than BA's flat seat, but not a huge different. The overall seat was superior to anyone else's business class I have been on. The food and beverage service was excellent. Appetizing, decent portions, well served and proper temperature. Inflight entertainment options are excellent. Beats the angled "lie flat" seat on the 767's and older triple 7's. You got it right this time. Even the crew was not as grouchy as AA flight crews have become. Actually I was very pleased.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Carol Levalley    (USA)

Had a 6 part trip this month on AA. Every leg had issues. Mechanical problems abound due to the age of the fleet. Arrived at JFK for the vacation portion of this trip and was told at the first class check in that our aircraft was removed from service and we would be 6 hours delayed departing. We missed our first day of vacation and a party because of this. Bottom line, you can't rely on this company to get you where you are going in any reliable way. Also have issues with their website, frequently down, lack of communication with flight delays also.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Dunlop Chris    (Australia)

Just flew 4 domestic sectors LAX-DFW-OMA and DSM-DFW-LAX. Ex LAX boarded on time but then due to weather in DFW were delayed for roughly 2 hours. Informed of delay by Captain and given updates. Once underway beverage service given, inflight video shown. Overnight in DFW then to OMA next day. Flight delayed due to mechanical issues. Passengers allowed off plane after first hour, cabin crew offered juice and water then granola bars. Flight cancelled after 4 hours. $12 refreshment vouchers given. Replacement aircraft and eventually got away about 5.5 hours late. Whilst this was an inconvenience I believe the staff acted properly keeping passengers informed and making alternate arrangements. Return flight I requested baggage to be checked through to SYD which took some time to organise due to booking problems caused by the earlier delay when I had been taken off the delayed flights but then reinstated. Only complaint was during this time our pre-assigned seats were given away and we were given seats at the back of the aircraft without the additional leg room. All things considered I was happier to have bags checked through and less legroom. I have been critical of AA in the past but thus trip they receive full marks.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by B Gentry    (USA)

I had not flown AA for a few years, and now I know why. AA employees sat in first class on a very early flight from TPA-MIA and spoke loudly to one another while the other first class passengers tried to sleep. Had a 7.40pm flight from MIA-TPA, but paid a $75 plane change fee to take the 5.50pm flight. No problem there, except for the fact that the plane, flight 986 from STT-MIA had an alarm mishap and they had to call a maintenance personnel from off-site. He was very late so therefore, missed the earlier connection at 5.50pm from MIA-TPA and took my original flight at 7.40pm-no compensation returned for their error. Other members in my party had first class on the 5.50pm flight and did not receive it when we were all booked on the 7.40pm flight. They did attempt to put us all together, but placed us in the exit row with two children traveling under the age of 15. Therefore, the kids had to sit in other areas in the plane and were scared to sit alone. Upon a later arrival to TPA at 8.40pm, AA/US AIR misplaced our luggage and was it was all still sitting in Miami with Priority tags on them. So much for priority as they turned up a day and a half later.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by J O'Reilly    (Ireland)

Providenciales - Miami: AA300. Miami - Paris: AA62. Both flights on old aircraft, in particular the flight from Miami to Paris was dreadful on an old 767. No AVOD or individual screen. The seats were the most uncomfortable I have experienced. Food was tasteless and bland with portions quite small. Drinks service was decent but really that was all with the flight that was a positive. Staff seemed disinterested and tired during the flight. First and last time I fly with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by A Bailey    (USA)

Pensacola to San Francisco. After paying full fare for a toddler in a seat, my pregnant daughter was treated so inconsiderately by American Airlines staff. No pre-board because "there are too many children on this flight" and they took her stroller away so that she had to carry 2 bags and the child. On one leg of the flight they gave her back the stroller last and nearly made her miss her connection.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD-JFK/LGA-ORD - July 2-5. I keep seeing a huge increase in great attitudes from flight attendants on AA flights. Very personable and fun on both flights. Departed ORD on-time and landed at JFK early - but taxied around JFK for 30 minutes before getting to our gate. Dinner served was pre-ordered on aa.com and the chicken was very tasty. Return to ORD from LGA - plane was only 60% full and the three flight attendants (DCA-based) were having a great time with everyone. Lots of talking, laughing with passengers and very personable. Good dinner served and landed 40 minutes early into ORD. I see a lot of negative reports for AA but I wonder if people are just expecting too much or are exaggerating their issues. Keep up the good work AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Pam Gould    (USA)

One month travel itinerary June 10 - July 8. Point here is not as much about inconvenience as how situations are handled. 4 flights cancelled. One due to weather. Paid upgrades are not refunded if flights cancelled, per AA reservations. After 3.5 hour wait, little or no information given to waiting passengers in cancellation of first leg OGG-LAX. Restaurant employees saw flight crew leave airport. AA would only help passengers with connections. The rest of us scrambled for flights. Locating luggage was a whole other mishap. 2.5 hr flight from QRO-DFW turned into a 10 hour flight, touching down in 2 cities to refuel. Water was being rationed. Children first. No food. No offers from ground crews for additional water or even peanuts. No help with connecting flights. No enough cots in airport, Terribly mishandled. Connecting flight missed but cancelled anyway. MCI-OGG delayed 4 hours. Equipment not available. Automated message via phone at 2.30 am for 7.30 am flight. Was auto rebooked on flight out a day later. Called and obtained same day departure. Hoping I get out. Remember when flying used to be fun and airlines treated us with courtesy? Note: Have flown all other US carriers, AA is cheaper but savings offset by delay costs incurred, other problems and poor treatment.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Reed    (USA)

I flew from Ontario, CA to Indianapolis, IN by way of Dallas, TX (round-trip). All 4 planes were MD-80's - I probably don't need to say much more. These planes should have been taken out of service 10 years ago. I was flying them in the early 90's from ORD to LAX, they needed to be retired back then. All 4 flights were delayed because of mechanical problems (ranging from inoperative toilets to loose electrical panels). All 4 planes were filthy - not just the rest rooms and aisles - but, the seats, windows and tray tables were disgusting. All 4 flights were full - so, as we sat on the planes, waiting for the "maintenance issues" to be resolved, we roasted. Given that I had a similar experience on a trip from Palm Springs to Cleveland (round trip, 4 flight segments) in April on American, I should have known better. But, as a "loyal rewards member," I booked this last flight on American too - hoping for better equipment and on time service. At this point, I don't even expect any aspect of comfort on American flights - I just want a safe plane that lands reasonably on time. Given the last 8 flights that I flew on American planes in the last 90 days, I'm not even certain that the old MD-80's are safe anymore. When 6 out of 8 of my flights were delayed for mechanical or maintenance issues, I begin to wonder, I'm going to start building my miles on United. I'm done with American. P.S. - during the last 20 years, I have been "Gold," "Platinum" and in the "Concierge Key" program - so, I have witnessed the decline of this airline's quality and on- time performance first-hand.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by W Burg    (USA)

Flight #7943 from Honolulu to Los Angeles, April 25 2014. This airline is terrible. The only reason to choose this airline is that they have so many flights to so many locations. But it is as if they don't like to be in flight service. Both my husband and I have been regular flight passengers for most of our adult lives, for business and pleasure. Over the years AA has not improved on any level of their service. Since going online for booking we have yet to have reservation that isn't botched in some way. I am sitting on AA plane as I write this, as we wait, after flying 5.5 hours, for a gate to become available. Though this may be an airport error, the connections between flights is so short that many passengers are in threat of missing there next flight. We almost missed our connecting to this flight because only 30 minutes was allotted between flights. I would gladly pay more for better service, and have, but AA has only increased its prices but not improved the quality of service.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by A Bailey    (USA)

Pensacola to San Francisco. After paying full fare for a toddler in a seat, my pregnant daughter was treated so inconsiderately by American Airlines staff that none of us will ever fly with this airline again. No pre-board because "there are too many children on this flight" and they took her stroller away so that she had to carry 2 bags and the child. On one leg of the flight they gave her back the stroller last and nearly made her miss her connection. There is no compassion from this airline!

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Mark    (USA)

Paris to Boston on an old and uncomfortable 757. The worst international business class seat I've ever had. Did anyone from American try sitting in this seat before they selected it? Small personal video screen with terrible resolution and limited choice of films. Food was inedible. The only good about this flight was the crew - friendly and hard working. Luggage took 40 minutes to unload. Overall a terrible experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Sharon Deitz    (USA)

We will never fly with this airline again. Flight out of Moline Il was delayed for an hour because the airplane wasn't there. We finally get a plane and find out from the flight attendant the delay was caused because there was no ramp at their last stop. The pilots did an awesome job getting us to Dallas on time. But then we sat for over an hour waiting to get to a gate. By this time everyone's connecting flights should have left. But we run across the Dallas airport and find out our connecting flight is delayed as well. Seems we didn't have a crew. What a joke. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Erdal Dirlik    (USA)

I recently flew from Miami to London. Sat in the economy class. Seat was extremely narrow, designed for very slim person. I am 185lbs and 5'11". For me the seat was very uncomfortable. If you are a large person recommend to buy 2 seats or avoid flying economy. The cabin was very claustrophobic. There was a big wall in front. The quality and the quantity of the food was pathetic. Inedible unless you were real hungry. This airline lowered their standards tremendously. I used 50000 points and paid $68 for this one way flight. In monetary terms approx $700. If the airlines do not stop abusing their passenger, I personally will give up long distance flying.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Dennis Kloepper    (USA)

We recently took our family to Maui to celebrate our 48th anniversary. My husband is in his 70's as I am, and he has Parkinson's disease. I have recently had a knee replacement, so we rented a hotel for the park and fly program as did our daughter's family, for a total of $475 so there would be no chance of us being late for our plane which was to leave at 10.35 am. We arrived early, as were told to do. Eventually we found that there was a delay of at least 30 minutes. The delay continued to be extended and ended up being a 9 hour wait. AA reps told us there was nothing they could do. The seats are firm plastic with no head rest or place to lean against the wall. We were given a lunch voucher which we used, but were never offered a dinner voucher. We became more and more frustrated as time progressed. We finally left for a long flight to Maui with a crew who were unhappy to called out on Father's Day on an unexpected flight. Their attitude reflected that. We were not given anything to compensate for all our problems, no free drinks, no food. Nothing. We got to our hotel at 3.30 am. On our trip home we were held up because someone had thrown up in the seat, but it wasn't cleaned up by the cleaning crew. There was vomit on the seats and in the buckle, making it necessary to take off all seat covering, and taking out and putting in all new seatbelt apparatus. To top this all off we are AA frequent flyers!

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Ljunggren    (Canada)

What a horrible product AA offers in the back of the plane for longer flights. I flew from Manaus to Miami overnight and could not get comfortable in the nasty thin under padded seats. The meal service was a soggy ham sandwich and a glutinous dessert while the entertainment was provided by screens that dropped down from the ceilings. Even small Air Canada planes have seat back TVs but American's 737s do not, and this on a 5-hour flight. When they dimmed the cabin lights the screens kept playing the film, so good luck trying to get any sleep with the flashing lights in your eyes. Awful, just awful. It is a throwback to the 1990s.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Prewett Bethany    (USA)

I recently booked a 9.30am trip to Amarillo through American Airlines (booked it 2 months in advance). The morning of the flight at about 6.30am (while I was headed to the airport) I was called by American Airlines and it was an automated voice recording telling me that my flight had been cancelled and they automatically put me on a 6.30pm flight that night. I had no option to talk to anyone or hear a reasoning on the scenario that was taking place. I had to call back and go through various automated conversations until I finally reached someone. After explaining the situation (and no sympathy was shown) I realized the person could not help me and did not desire to help me. Little did she know, I had major wedding events to get to at my destination (hints why I booked an early flight in the first place). I ended up having to book another flight through Southwest Airlines last minute (costing me a fortune) just to make it to the city in time. It was an all around awful experience dealing with an impersonal system that left me without answers, paying a fortune, and still arriving later than I planned. I will never again try to fly American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Nash    (USA)

On our return flight from Orlando to DFW, we arrived early to the massive lines at security. Got through and sat down for an early dinner, flight delayed. Took our time then another notice, flight delayed again. Finally left dinner and walked around, got to out terminal, flight delayed again. So our 7pm take off was now leaving at 9pm. Sat down and watched TV. Then some people started standing up and getting upset, flight now delayed until 11.45pm. Our plane arrived, but had to wait on a crew to fly us. Finally got on the plane after midnight and waited another hour on the plane. We were told we might not have enough fuel. Really? The plane had been there at the airport for 3 hours and no one checked to refuel it? Got back to DFW at 2.30am. Only one baggage person there at that time and several bags were missing. 30 minutes waiting to get our bag that came in at an early flight. So 8 hours in the airport and all the explanation we got was it was DFW's fault. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 July 2014 by R Maxwell    (USA)

I was on a round trip Miami to Buenos Aires in business class. I read reviews about the service and aircraft (767-300) being substandard. However, I found the seats to be reasonably comfortable and the service by the Buenos Aires based crew was very nice.