American Airlines Passenger Reviews and American Airlines Customer Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

American Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by A Arvin    (USA)

FCO-ORD. ORD-CMH Flew an ancient plane with no IFE with one shared TV. Seats were uncomfortable. Food was better this time around although the service was bad. The crew missed out serving several rows multiple times on the flight although they kept the drinks coming very frequent. One of the crew members stopped the food service for close to 10 minutes to continue speaking to a passenger about her family.

American Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by R Simon    (Austria)

DFW-ABQ on Aug. 8 and return ABQ-DFW on Aug 15, both legs in First (due to upgrade) on an MD80. Flights nothing special, but OK given the limitations on US domestic flights - obviously older planes, but comfortable and cabins looked fresher than expected, so obviously well maintained/renovated. Catering in First for both 100 minute flights during meal hours was a pack of pretzels and full bar service. White wine on the evening flight to ABQ was warm Chardonnay. FA's were friendly and efficient on the on the flight to ABQ and rather uninterested on the flight back to DFW. Delay of 45 minutes on the flight to ABQ, but AA maintained that the flight will be on time until 15 minutes before the designated departure time, although a delay was obvious, as there was no plane at the gate, so slightly irritating bad communication. Return flight eventless and on time. So, nothing special, but no major problems, either. All in all a very average experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by C Millar    (UK)

Recently flew this airline transatlantic route from Dublin to Chicago. The experience was awful! The plane itself was so outdated and old fashioned. It had the screens that dropped down from the ceiling! However on the outward bound flight the crew announced they were not working. So I had a seven hour flight with no film . The crew all wore different uniforms which made them look shabby and unprofessional. I am used to flying European airlines like BA and Aer Lingus whose planes all have the modern personal screens etc and whose cabin crew look smart and professional. My advice is stay well away from AA. I will never again use this airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Hilary Morgan    (USA)

Flight from Chicago to Cleveland cancelled for no reason. Put on standby, 4 flights and 10 hours later, with no help from gate attendants we fly into Cleveland. Flying out of Cleveland - flight cancelled night before, no reason given. Re-booked on earlier flight. Arrive at airport and, or course, we're not on the manifest. Staff member very rude. Clearly no one who works for American likes it or it's customers either. Since American had cancelled 3 flights the day before, they had nothing to do but put us on a United flight where we had to pay an extra $160 for baggage hat we would not have had to pay as our origin tickets were on Alaska Airlines. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by James Gohman    (USA)

American Airlines cancelled a flight with no warning, claimed weather related but on looking at radar for this flight path that was fabricated. They made no effort to notify by email or cell phone (had both). I found out about the canceled flight when I arrived at the gate with my boarding pass. This resulted in a 15 hour drive. My advice - find a different airline.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Ben Smith    (UK)

Flew out to Dallas from Heathrow in the new Boeing 777 which as a plane was okay and had good entertainment. They have a 343 layout which makes it cramped compared to a lot of other airlines I have flown with which have a 333 layout which feels more spacious. Some of the flight crew were quite unprofessional. One of them walking around with earphones in holding his iPod in his hand. Food was close to terrible. Returned on a Boeing 767 which had been painted on the outside to make it look modern but was like a museum on the inside. Old TV monitors hanging from the ceiling which showed one film on a nine hour flight which I couldn't watch as somebody had snapped off their headphone jack in my socket. Checked in really early but still sat apart. Food terrible again but flight crew a bit more professional this time. Have flown over 30 different airlines and I would say this airline is in the bottom 3.

American Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Richard Callis    (Brazil)

GRU-JFK and JFK-LHR: American Main Cabin Extra. Exit seat on both flights. Excellent price, brand new planes. Greatly improved service, food improved. There are better airlines for premium service, nicer food but if you can make Platinum (50,000 miles a year) then this is for me unbeatable. Free Main Cabin Extra, Lounge Access, double miles, punctual flights on new planes.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by J Sendziak    (USA)

Was in Vegas, headed to Dallas. The weather had been bad that morning in Dallas. Contacted my husband about the weather when it came to my flight home, and the weather was clear. They had delayed our trip for 9 hours for no apparent reason, and had failed to inform us of this. They had delays due to weather early that morning, the flight coming from Dallas to Vegas was sitting at the airport, and wouldn't load their passengers. Waited around for 9 hours only to find out by 10 pm that night that the flight was cancelled and it was too late to get a hotel. The staff in Vegas were very rude and pretentious. They didn't care about any of the passengers, and were snappy when asked questions. I do not recommend this airline at all!

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by D Swarts    (USA)

This is a general review of American Airlines. Since 2000 I have flown with AA more than any other airline, racking up nearly 1 million miles, most in Economy, some in Economy Plus and some in First Class. Maybe it's because I have so much experience that little things and small delays do not phase me, but I have rarely had a problem so bad that I felt the need to contact AA customer service and I've never written a negative review. Yes, it would be nice to get a snack with your beverage like Delta gives, but I can bring my own package of cookies or peanuts if I want. And yes, the MD-80 aircraft does not have inflight entertainment, but they've had powerports on MD80s for a long time and then I've got a fully-charged laptop and smart phone to entertain me. Yes, I've run into weather delays in Chicago during the winter, which is why I connect through Dallas whenever possible. Yes, it would be nice if they would upgrade some of their gate areas with more power plugs and offer their gate agents some sort of incentives to be a little nicer with regular passengers and not just us elite passengers. And yes, sometimes they want more money for the same route as a competitor, and those are the times I book with another carrier. But throughout my near-million miles and 14 years flying AA I still recommend the airline to my friends and family to get them anywhere in the world they need to go safely, on time and for a reasonable cost.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by B Sharma    (USA)

I am not picky about the airlines and used to travel by the cheapest deals available. This time I took AA. Flying American Airlines was the worst experience for me. The planes were mostly old and run down. They took 2 hrs to fix the bolt and screws while flying to San Diego on flight AA 49. The staff especially at Dallas boarding desk was rude and changed my seat without an apology. Not only that see was upfront rude. Each flight were at least an hour or 2 late. There are definitely better options and I would not fly this airline again.

American Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by A McCormick    (USA)

I was flying from Dublin to JFK NY on July 30, flight 291. I got the impression that serving the needs of the passengers was not a priority. I had reported to a flight attendant about some good amount of water sloshing around in the lavatory. It was slippery and the dirty liquid had got on my shoes and clothing. The flight attendant replied that she did not think the liquid was water and was not going to touch it. I do not understand why it could not have been mopped up. I think is was very inappropriate of the Airline to not train their flight attendants in mopping up unpleasant "spills" in the lavatories, and providing them the sanitary means of doing so. This was upsetting to me to have to use lavatories with unsanitary conditions on an airline! The American Airline website makes it very difficult to send a complaint to. I think this is very important for them to see this and to correct it. I gave the airline poor ratings and do not plan to fly it again.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by J Michaels    (USA)

Flew London Heathrow to JFK. Had transferred from Qatar from JNB-DOH-LHR. This was a bit like going from a fine Hotel (Qatar) to a cheap roadside motel (American). The American Business Class lounge/Admirals Club lounge at LHR beyond the new entrance is simply a dump. Old tired furniture, no charm or ambience, and an almost complete lack of any kind of decent food or snacks. I saw one tureen of dried up pasta, and some pretzels and 2-3 halves of white bread sandwiches. Self serve beverages were somewhat limited, with cheap brands of alcohol, and "spouts" on the wine bottles-a really low class touch. Although the roughly half full business does have a state of the art flat bed seat, with decent storage, the cabin service was dismal. Pre departure beverages were served in flimsy plastic glasses. Cabin staff attitude throughout the flight was casual and usually indifferent. I slept until approx. 1.5 hours before landing, missing the snack service. No a single member of the cabin crew offered to serve it to me later. The rear lavatories were devoid of any cosmetics, the forward lavatories were stocked. Of course, there were no flowers in the lavatories. Catering was adequate, the menu was a tiny card like affair, nothing like the elegant and extensive menu presented in a folder on Qatar. I am thoroughly convinced that flying on American, or any US Airline on long distance flights is wasting money and accepting poor treatment, and it makes more sense to choose non US airlines which offer their premium customers a much higher standard of service.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by S Klass    (USA)

JFK-MXP-JFK. Both flights departed a few minutes early and arrived on time. Aircraft was an 'updated' 767-300ER with the new Biz Class and Main Cabin Extra, where we were seated. Had the bulkhead seat both ways in this mini MCE cabin of 2 rows, which made a difference. Service was ok, food below average from JFK but much better from Milan. The only real downer is the lack of personal IFE or streaming IFE on this plane, only main screen entertainment was available. Were lucky though to have a professional, friendly and warm flight attendant from Milan.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD-MIA-GRU in Economy on July 28. Daylight flight from Miami to Sao Paulo - delayed 4 hours and that is where American failed its passengers. They boarded us and at the departure time they asked us to de-board as the plane has mechanical issues. Ok - fine. They say there is a plane at a gate that will take us to SP and they just need to service the plane. That was a lie - all the passengers got to the gate (and we had been told to take our pillows and blankets as the new plane wouldn't have them) and there was no plane. We sat around for 3 hours before a plane showed up from the hanger where 4 AA 777s sat the whole time. Finally board and take off - 8 hour flight and flight attendants were friendly. Seat comfort is awful - no leg room due to entertainment box at the window. Seat cushion is non-existent so luckly the extra pillow helped (we got on the plane and blankets and pillows were already there). Upon landing in Sao Paulo at 12:10am (4 hours late) we finally got an apology from the flight deck - until then they didn't say a thing about the delay. Come on American - have some respect for the people who pay your bills. I did get an email when I landed with an apology and 5,000 AA miles - ok - that's nice. But I felt sorry for the many passengers who missed connecting flights at 12.10am there are no more flights until morning. I had a 2.5 hour drive to Santos and didn't get to my hotel until 3am. When AA does it well - its great. When they fail - its really bad.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

July 31 - CWB-POA-MIA-ORD. 767-300 from CWB to Miami in Business Class. Flight boarded and crew had just come in from Miami. They were awful - no one said hello or offered a drink until just before we departed 45 minutes late to Porto Alegre. I understand they are tired - AA needs to change crew at Curitiba and have a fresh crew all the way to MIA. Landed 30 min behind schedule at POA - had to exit the plane and they gave us new boarding passes and just waited in the gate area for boarding. Little cafe had snacks and flight was packed (in coach - 1/2 full in Biz) so gate area was busy. POA-MIA - excellent service! Flight attendants were so friendly and accommodating. Greeted you by name - were always in the cabin even though the flight leaves POA at 12:05am - with water and snacks. Slept well and had a quick breakfast before landing in Miami. Aborted landing due to some warning light in the cockpit but did a fly around and landed safely. A really nice flight once we got the new crew at POA. This is the type of service that makes AA stand out.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Daniel Thomas    (USA)

JFK to LHR. AA's problems are no longer the fleet, its old tired flight attendants that should be in bed rather than serving passengers paying up to $6000 for a business class seat with an attitude and a lack of respect that is simply unacceptable. Other passengers complained as well. Just impersonal and rude service on AA104. American needs to ground those FA's that are older and with attitude. Hire younger FA's that want to do their job rather than complaining to passengers about how the airlines have changed and how what we pay for the seats isn't worth it. After 33 years I'm not flying AA anymore. Ill go BA or anything other than an American carrier. They just honestly are awful now and I see no change due to them being union. Fly a foreign carrier. You'll see the difference.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Sharon Mills    (USA)

We flew from Shreveport, LA to DFW. We then flew from Dallas to London. Neither plane left on time or got us there on time. We had people waiting in London. Same happened on the way back. On the way back, we were shuttled to British Airways. Got to Dallas, had a six hour layover. Because British Airways was late getting us to Dallas, the layover was five hours. We sat in the airport in Dallas for 4.5 hours at the gate we were supposed to leave from. Twenty minutes before the plane was to leave from Dallas, the gate was changed and we had to run to get to the new gate. I have come to the conclusion that American Airlines doesn't care at all about their customers. For the prices people are charged for tickets, and fees, you would think service would be better. Won't fly American again.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by N Smith    (USA)

My husband and I recently flew American first class from SFO through DFW to SDF. This was a last minute change from a ticket on another airline that allows cancellations without penalty, because we found our outbound trip to be somewhat stressful. We are delighted we made the change. The one way fare was very reasonable, and the service was superior. The SFO to DFW leg was on a wifi equipped 737. We were in seats 3F and 4F, and both of us had plenty of legroom and the seats were very comfortable. Entertainment was Rio 2, which we didn't watch because we were reading (and eating). Breakfast for me was granola, fruit salad, orange juice, coffee, and a hot biscuit with jam. I am a southern girl and take pride in my own biscuits, and I have to say the AA version was excellent. The other choice was a strata with muffin, which my husband also found quite tasty, the flight attendant passed the muffin/biscuit basket a couple of times, but we were too full to partake. At the end of the flight, she stopped by each seat and thanked us for flying American. The DFW to SDF leg was on an A312, which was quiet (a little noisy on takeoff) and sturdy. In flight entertainment choice (personal TV) was excellent - many movies, TV and music channels to choose from. The snack was also quite good - I had a salad with poached chicken, quinoa, asparagus, and arugula, with a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie. Husband had an open-faced turkey/tomato/gruyere sandwich on fresh bread with a macadamia nut cookie. He also had a tumbler of red wine, I had a diet Pepsi (they also offer Coke products). The flight attendant, was also quite attentive and spoke with us by name. We felt very well taken care of.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Sergio Pereira    (USA)

On my MIA-LHR leg I flew the 777-200 which is an awful configuration 2-3-2. What a lovely surprise on the way back to fly a 777-300, with a great configuration of 1-2-1. I was by the window, great. Upgraded seat and a great crew to complement it. Wish AA would get rid of the 2-3-2 configuration in business - pathetic.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Cynthia Robertson    (USA)

July 31, we were on flight 3143, NAS to MIA. Flight was scheduled to take off at 605. We were on the runway, on time, when a passenger became ill. We returned to the terminal. They left her on board until a paramedic arrived to check her out. At this point, she felt better and wanted to continue but had to wait until someone from headquarters arrived to determine if it was safe for her to stay on the flight. They took her off the plane, then allowed her to return, then took her off again. Every person on that plane had a connecting flight to catch. They then had to refuel the plane. We then got back on the runway, then had to go back to check out a maintenance issue. We sat there another 30 minutes. Then we had to get off the plane while they worked on it. At 9.30, we boarded again, then had to wait for a passenger who couldn't decide whether or not to continue. We finally left NAS at 10 pm. When we landed in MIA, we had to go back through customs, find our luggage, then try to find someone from AA to help us all reschedule flights. No one from AA was available to help us until after 11 pm. They put us up overnight at a local hotel and rescheduled all our flights for the next day, but it was a very poorly handled situation. I do not plan to use AA in the future. We have used other airlines many times and have had issues, but never anything handled this poorly.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Arnold MacDonald    (USA)

I have been an airline passenger for the past 60 years. All types of planes to all types of destinations with all types of carriers. The golden years you might say when the flights were not only comfortable but fun and even riotous at times! The service, food and drinks (especially the drinks) were an integral and indispensable part of the experience. It is sad to see what was once a wonderful and exciting experience reduced to the level of a bus ride and a damn uncomfortable bus ride at that! Flight AA121 Paris (CDG) to New York (JFK), July 2nd 2014 gave a glimmer of hope. The cabin crew were experienced, co-ordinated, pleasant and most helpful.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Li Andy    (Belgium)

We flew from LHR-JFK with AA101 in economy, I also had low expectations about reading several reviews here on the website. Strangely enough it was a nice and overall experience with AA. B777-300 the cabin looks fresh and airy. The stewards and stewardesses ages were no lower than 50 years but the steward on duty on my aisle was very friendly. Food was ok, we had a choice between chicken or pasta (no menu distributed), and an hour before arrival they distributed hot pizza and in between several rounds of drinks. Flight departed on time and arrived in JFK almost right on time. Overall experience was better than expected and I'll fly them again!

American Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by V Bragg    (Switzerland)

We paid for 6 business class tickets from Zurich via London to Dallas. Then 4 business class tickets from Los Angeles to London to Zurich. I've never seen a more consistent disgruntled group of employees in all of the years I've flown overseas. Where to begin? We chose American because of the "New" business class. We were given an old plane. My family is very low maintenance. We only ask for simple respect. We are mid flight and AA cancels our connection from Dallas to Grand Junction. 10 hours before we are to board. We don't get the notification until we reach our gate to fly to Grand Junction. No effort on AA part at all to help us. No hotel, no car service. We make our own arrangements. This may seem small, but by this point, we are exhausted. Any help at all by AA would have been appreciated. Our return trip. I went for more water, I was told they only had the large bottles. If I wanted more water, I could bring my small empty water bottle up and refill it. Not, how can I help you? Not, can I bring the water to you? They stand there chatting while I try to refill my bottle.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 August 2014 by R Paterson    (USA)

JFK-LAX return in F on the new A321 transcon product. American has really upped their game here. The hard product is outstanding in terms of privacy, comfort and durability. Feels very exclusive and closer to the luxury that Asian and some European carriers are offering in long haul configurations. Outbound, check-in was prompt although not very helpful with navigating the chaos that was security at JFK T8. Onboard, service was exceedingly professional albeit not intrusive but that's the way I like it. Purser kept a watchful eye on the 10 pax in the cabin and was very prompt with drink refills or any other needs. Food was above expectations and in fact quite tasty. Could have a better champagne for first class (it is in fact not a real champagne but a domestic sparkling wine) but that's a first world problem of course. Pillow and blanket provided were of good quality, could use a mattress pad for overnight flights. On the return, check in at LAX Flagship was quick and friendly, brought to the front of the security line which was nice. Can't comment on onboard service on the return because once we hit 10,000 feet I put the seat into bed mode and slept a complete four and a half hours of solid sleep, waking just before descent. This is a first for me in over 25 years of travel. For that reason alone, I fully commend this product. It's a game changer for the NY-LA market.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Mark Elliott    (Australia)

I recently flew with AA and US Airways from New York, Boston and Washington DC. I cannot believe that American Airlines is part of the One World Alliance. When you look at the level of service you get from world class airlines like Qantas, Cathay Pacific and LAN and then see the pathetic offering you get from AA, I am dumbstruck. As a frequent Australian traveller I absolutely hate having to use AA anytime. Their Admirals Club lounges are truly pathetic - paying for food and pseudo-snacks like pretzels and plastic wrapped muffins. AA passengers who fly Qantas and use the Qantas Club lounges must be amazed. The service on AA is uniformly awful and rude. How can Americans put up with such an array of shocking airline companies. Now that AA have bought US Airways it will be doubly bad.

American Airlines Customer review :  3 August 2014 by C Bundick    (USA)

My flight out of Chicago was delayed for hours and then cancelled at 1am. Understandable, taking into consideration Chicago weather. However, it was the customer service received during, and after, this that convinced me to end my days as an American Airlines flyer. I spent the next few hours on hold with customer service trying to get my flight rebooked. After 3.5 hours on hold, I booked a flight for the following morning through the AA website to ensure that I would return home on time. The next morning, unable, once again, to contact customer service, I boarded the flight and made it home in time to return to work. Only after I finally contacted customer service did I learn that I had, in fact, been booked on a rescheduled flight. I searched my inbox, spam and trash but had received no sort of email or notification of the rescheduling. If I had been informed of this flight, or been able to contact customer service, I could have foregone the cost of a second flight and avoided all of the frustrating, cold emails that have taken place since.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by John Parsons    (USA)

DFW to PDX - the service was terrible. First, the price: it was $360, round-trip, non-stop. While this may sound like a good deal, it was not too long ago that American wanted $500 for the same trip. I could go to Europe one- way for that! The price drop is the only reason why I give them 2 out of 5 stars for value. If it weren't for that, I would give them one-star without a second thought. Second, the lines for baggage check were long. Apparently, this airline does not realize that it's 2014: I was completely unable to pay my baggage fee online, and there was no fast check-in option, either. So I had to wait in line to do something I could have done online with other air carriers, and only takes five minutes at most with other ones. Third, the seats. They were harder than rocks with virtually no leg room with my messenger bag below the seat in front of me. It was virtually impossible to sleep or rest in my seat. When I got off the plane, I was very sore. The flight attendants did not care about my experience, and the check-in agents flat out ignored me at PDX. Lastly, when I emailed American with a complaint about these issues, I got the most sarcastic response I have ever got from a customer service representative. In conclusion, I never plan on flying American again. I'd rather have a stop (or two!) than fly them.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Marina Wiedemann    (Germany)

We had a really good flight with a very nice and obliging crew! Food was very good, also the entertainment program and the seats. We will always fly with AA again!

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Samone Brewington    (USA)

I will never fly AA again. The Miami staff were very rude and not accommodating at all. Flight was late leaving from Turks and Caicos and staff failed to announce the delay by half an hour. Therefore I missed my connecting flight in Miami to LGA. Miami Staff were not accommodating. I had an older aunt with me and I asked for a wheelchair twice, it never came. AA staff had no sense of direction or didn't speak enough English - it was terrible! Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Cuenco    (UAE)

LHR-JFK. I had low expectations due to reviews posted here. I was therefore happy to discover that the plane was new (and/or very clean), seats were comfortable, flight attendants warm and friendly. The flight was full and the flight attendants graciously offered passengers the option to spread out so that we can be comfortable. Meals were hot and nicely prepared. IFE was varied and up to date, WiFi available on board but not free. The pilot was very pleasant in his announcements that I didn't mind the delay in landing/parking due to the rains in NY. It seems AA is starting to up its game, starting with international flights. Will most probably fly AA again in the future.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by R Kanefsky    (USA)

Let me start by saying I am a regular business flier and travel frequently, although because of issues like the following complaint, usually only fly AA as a last resort. On a recent trip from LGA to DFW, AA forced me to gate- check my same standard 22in. carry-on bag which I take on every flight on every other airline. The bag clearly fit within the test box, when I had to test it the first time going through the security checkpoint, and similarly fit again when forced to test it at the gate, but because the agent said I had to "push" it down to fit within the box, it was too big and had to be checked. When I boarded the plane, I was frustrated to see that the bag would have easily fit within the overhead compartment. Maybe AA has smaller jets with smaller overhear storage capacity than every other major airline. This was a big inconvenience and was easily avoidable and I will continue to avoid flying on AA whenever possible.

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Hillary Wu    (USA)

The boarding passes we printed out at DFW Airport showed that the flight from DFW to TYR originally scheduled at 6pm was delayed to 8pm. We still went to the gate to see if the delay was changed. The monitor showed that the flight was delayed to 8pm. After we returned to the gate at 7pm, we were told the flight left at 6.30. There was no more flights from DFW to TYR afterwards. The assistant checked us in for the 9.00 flight the next day. When we requested whether there was a voucher for a hotel, we were told no. We called the customer service and were blamed for not listening to the announcements. We had to rent a car to return home and drove back to DFW next day to return the rental car. Each person was trying to shift the responsibility away to somebody else. If they made profits by charging passengers more and providing less service, whats to celebrate?

American Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Sander van Kan    (The Netherlands)

Flight AA1018, DUS-LHR on 5/6/2014 onboard N936NN (B738). Flight was on time and smooth. Food and drinks to buy. Crew were typically American and not that friendly. Legroom was adequate, but no more.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Chris Dodd    (Australia)

From LA to Chicago on 22nd June on American Airlines. Perfect service from staff at the airport to FA's on the plane. I have read a lot of bad reviews on this website but can only say my husband and I found our flight more than we expected. Our luggage was delayed for about an hour but this was I believe only due to two planes arriving at the same time.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Phillip Evans    (USA)

Flight from Germany to Charlotte, NC to Huntsville, AL in 05/2014 was the worst flight experience. TV screen did not work, staff was not concerned after numerous requests. The aircraft had a malfunction before takeoff in NC, delaying us 3 hours on the taxiway. This caused a missed flight at the connection stop. American did not care whatsoever and we had to ask to get a meal voucher, but that was all that was given. They would only put us on another American flight that left hours later, putting us home in the middle of the night and needed to be at work the next morning. Worst airline ever. This review only covers about 65% of the issues experienced.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Mitchell Norman    (UK)

LHR-MIA-LHR. It is some time since I have flown AA transatlantic, after many years of having previously done so when both the hard and soft products were truly appalling. This choice came about as a result of the fare being two-thirds of the next best, so difficult to ignore. Both sectors were by B77W equipment with the new Business Class configuration. This is a vast improvement. The cabin crew actually seemed to enjoy being there (almost) although the sole male cabin crew member in Business on the return flight was extremely obnoxious. Food was ok- ish and whilst I had chosen my entrees on-line for both sectors, there was no record on board of any of my selections. The cabin crew told me that this on-line facility was a complete waste of time as it never worked. Overall, AA was better than my recollection of many years before but, hard product apart, it continues to be still a long way behind the alternatives.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by K Frietsch    (USA)

Booked flights for the husband and I from BOS to MIA in October. Received an email changing our flight times and seats after we had purchased and selected. Threw us off the original time and put another flight number in its place. Had no reasonable explanation other than they are re-figuring their planes! Really messed up our departure, for sure. The planes are so old and dirty. Couldn't even use the bathroom, as it was filthy on our last flight. The attendants were miserable! TV monitors were from the dark ages, not to mention the inside condition of the plane. It was falling apart from the inside. Could see the outer shell from my seat! Charge megabucks for low class experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Mitchell Norman    (UK)

MIA-BOG-MIA. Both sectors were flown by very tired B752s with equally tired cabin crews. I have been flying these sectors along with other Latin routes with (Latin) American Airlines, which bears little resemblance to AA mainline, for some 25 years on the same aircraft type with the same take-it or leave-it cabin crew attitudes. Wifi and in-flight power is heavily advertised on these aircraft but were not available on either sector. Both aircraft and cabin crew are in need of a substantial refresh.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Carlos Ramos    (USA)

Will never fly AA again. The experience at Dallas was terrible. Flight was late, therefore, missed flight. Boarded another flight, but told to get off due to mechanical problem. Very little information on what to do next. Sent to four different gates. Treated like cattle. Never made it out that day and no guarantee to fly next day. Forced to go to a different airport and buy another ticket on Southwest. No apologies by AA personnel. Customer service was the worst I've experienced in over 50 years of traveling.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Michael G Salter    (UK)

I travelled American Airlines on Flight AA55 from Manchester UK to Chicago. This was an awful flight. The aircraft had no in seat entertainment, the seats were old and uncomfortable, the headrests hardly lifted above the seat so for a taller person the backrest sticks in your back. In addition the staff were at best terse, at worst indifferent. I can only believe they are as fed up as I was being stuck on that aircraft. On the bright side it arrived on time, overall however it was a prime example of a truly budget flight, the only thing is I paid a lot of money for the flight. I only went this route because I needed to go to Chicago, never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Terry Smith    (USA)

I purchased a flight with American Airline to fly from Miami to New Orleans on July 3-7. They changed my flight to US Air, but didn't inform me until one week before flight. I paid for upgrade seats but it was not transferred over. Now what really bother me was my return trip home from New Orleans, well I didn't get back until a day later. Both airlines seemed to simply want to place blame on each other when they should be working together on rescheduling flights when they cancel them. American whom I booked with originally were of absolutely no use to me once they changed me to a US Air flight. Though it took many back and forth trips between the two companies finally a supervisor with US Air, provided me with some assistance in getting me booked on another flight to fly out a day later. It's ridiculous that it would take me 4 hours in the airport to get rescheduled, when I checked in well in advance (4hours) after my flight was canceled. I should not have needed a supervisor to get my flight rescheduled, all agents should be able to do it. I went through 5 agents between AA and US Air, and none were helpful. When airlines join forces to become one company, they should be operating as one not passing the buck and blame between each other.

American Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Deborah Yang    (USA)

Took AA on a trip to Spain. En route, two of my three flights were delayed, almost causing me to miss a connection, and my baggage was lost - not sure if by American or one of the affiliated carriers. The worst was yet to come, however. My flight from Madrid to NYC was delayed by a couple hours, and so I was rebooked for my connecting flight. I wish I'd insisted on catching it, since it was delayed anyway, because what transpired after was unbelievable. The rebooked flight to DC was eventually canceled. We sat on the tarmac for 2.5 hours as maintenance repaired a broken chair, then a door, and then we lost our slot in the queue and had to wait awhile, and then my home airport suspended flights coming and going due to weather. Finally, the pilot took us back to the gate and told us our flight was canceled. 4 hours on the tarmac that day. Service to rebook flights was slow, and some agents were a bit snippy. Slept at the gate overnight for my early flight the next morning. Had a bad feeling when I saw people arriving through the same gate 15 minutes prior to our scheduled boarding time. Sure enough, we sat there for well over an hour as the tyre on the plane was being changed, and then the flight was canceled. Exasperated, I asked for a flight out of LaGuardia instead, and although it was delayed on the runway, I eventually got home, after four bookings from NYC to DC. Very tight seat arrangement on the planes flying back (because they were older). Food wasn't bad, and service on all the planes was overall pretty good. Service at the gate ranged from very solicitous to brusque. The airline seems to schedule flights too close together. On top of that, the planes on my return trip were all old and shoddy, hence the delays. So I ended up being booked for eight flights round trip when I was originally scheduled for just five. Seven of eight were delayed, and two of those led to cancellations. American didn't do much to compensate me for the inconvenience either. I will never fly AA again.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Russell Conyers    (Bermuda)

Flew from LAX to JFK on AA292 in First Class, 14th July. A very good experience on a brand new plane, an A321. The seat makes the flight as it converts to a fully lie flat bed and I was able to get a few hours of sleep after having a nice hot breakfast. Good inflight entertainment, amenity kit, and a great cabin crew who seemed happy to be there. Well done AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Steven Koenig    (Brazil)

ORD-SEA first class. Standard first class seats. Nothing special, but comfortable. Lunch was surprisingly good. Glad we pre-selected the beef dish. Decent selection of beer and wine. Still don't like the fact that buying a domestic first class ticket doesn't get us into the airline's airline's club, but this is standard, at least among U.S. airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Gabriel Lee    (USA)

HKG-DFW. Check-in: no online check-in for some reason, had to do it at the airport. Good, no problem. Boarding: for all US-bound flights, they had to search all our hand-carry bags for water/liquids, and they do it in the middle of the bridge, where the air isn't moving very well and warm. I don't understand why can't they do it right before scanning the boarding pass. The bridge area is small, not a smart idea at all. I feel bad for those in a long line for the economy class. In-flight: Food/meals are very good, no complaints there. The seat is excellent with lie-flat bed and big screen monitor. One problem, there were several movies/TV shows that are shown available but couldn't get to it. Other than that, slept well and services were fine.

American Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by G Chesney    (USA)

Just flew on Sunday, 7/13, on AA's new 777-300 International configuration in business class. I have to say that it was the very first time I have felt that a US carrier competed effectively with front rank international carriers. The seat was excellent. The overall quality of the seat was superior given the amenities, screen, etc. Just the slightest bit less comfortable than BA's flat seat, but not a huge different. The overall seat was superior to anyone else's business class I have been on. The food and beverage service was excellent. Appetizing, decent portions, well served and proper temperature. Inflight entertainment options are excellent. Beats the angled "lie flat" seat on the 767's and older triple 7's. You got it right this time. Even the crew was not as grouchy as AA flight crews have become. Actually I was very pleased.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Carol Levalley    (USA)

Had a 6 part trip this month on AA. Every leg had issues. Mechanical problems abound due to the age of the fleet. Arrived at JFK for the vacation portion of this trip and was told at the first class check in that our aircraft was removed from service and we would be 6 hours delayed departing. We missed our first day of vacation and a party because of this. Bottom line, you can't rely on this company to get you where you are going in any reliable way. Also have issues with their website, frequently down, lack of communication with flight delays also.

American Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by Dunlop Chris    (Australia)

Just flew 4 domestic sectors LAX-DFW-OMA and DSM-DFW-LAX. Ex LAX boarded on time but then due to weather in DFW were delayed for roughly 2 hours. Informed of delay by Captain and given updates. Once underway beverage service given, inflight video shown. Overnight in DFW then to OMA next day. Flight delayed due to mechanical issues. Passengers allowed off plane after first hour, cabin crew offered juice and water then granola bars. Flight cancelled after 4 hours. $12 refreshment vouchers given. Replacement aircraft and eventually got away about 5.5 hours late. Whilst this was an inconvenience I believe the staff acted properly keeping passengers informed and making alternate arrangements. Return flight I requested baggage to be checked through to SYD which took some time to organise due to booking problems caused by the earlier delay when I had been taken off the delayed flights but then reinstated. Only complaint was during this time our pre-assigned seats were given away and we were given seats at the back of the aircraft without the additional leg room. All things considered I was happier to have bags checked through and less legroom. I have been critical of AA in the past but thus trip they receive full marks.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by B Gentry    (USA)

I had not flown AA for a few years, and now I know why. AA employees sat in first class on a very early flight from TPA-MIA and spoke loudly to one another while the other first class passengers tried to sleep. Had a 7.40pm flight from MIA-TPA, but paid a $75 plane change fee to take the 5.50pm flight. No problem there, except for the fact that the plane, flight 986 from STT-MIA had an alarm mishap and they had to call a maintenance personnel from off-site. He was very late so therefore, missed the earlier connection at 5.50pm from MIA-TPA and took my original flight at 7.40pm-no compensation returned for their error. Other members in my party had first class on the 5.50pm flight and did not receive it when we were all booked on the 7.40pm flight. They did attempt to put us all together, but placed us in the exit row with two children traveling under the age of 15. Therefore, the kids had to sit in other areas in the plane and were scared to sit alone. Upon a later arrival to TPA at 8.40pm, AA/US AIR misplaced our luggage and was it was all still sitting in Miami with Priority tags on them. So much for priority as they turned up a day and a half later.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by J O'Reilly    (Ireland)

Providenciales - Miami: AA300. Miami - Paris: AA62. Both flights on old aircraft, in particular the flight from Miami to Paris was dreadful on an old 767. No AVOD or individual screen. The seats were the most uncomfortable I have experienced. Food was tasteless and bland with portions quite small. Drinks service was decent but really that was all with the flight that was a positive. Staff seemed disinterested and tired during the flight. First and last time I fly with AA.

American Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by A Bailey    (USA)

Pensacola to San Francisco. After paying full fare for a toddler in a seat, my pregnant daughter was treated so inconsiderately by American Airlines staff. No pre-board because "there are too many children on this flight" and they took her stroller away so that she had to carry 2 bags and the child. On one leg of the flight they gave her back the stroller last and nearly made her miss her connection.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

ORD-JFK/LGA-ORD - July 2-5. I keep seeing a huge increase in great attitudes from flight attendants on AA flights. Very personable and fun on both flights. Departed ORD on-time and landed at JFK early - but taxied around JFK for 30 minutes before getting to our gate. Dinner served was pre-ordered on aa.com and the chicken was very tasty. Return to ORD from LGA - plane was only 60% full and the three flight attendants (DCA-based) were having a great time with everyone. Lots of talking, laughing with passengers and very personable. Good dinner served and landed 40 minutes early into ORD. I see a lot of negative reports for AA but I wonder if people are just expecting too much or are exaggerating their issues. Keep up the good work AA!

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Pam Gould    (USA)

One month travel itinerary June 10 - July 8. Point here is not as much about inconvenience as how situations are handled. 4 flights cancelled. One due to weather. Paid upgrades are not refunded if flights cancelled, per AA reservations. After 3.5 hour wait, little or no information given to waiting passengers in cancellation of first leg OGG-LAX. Restaurant employees saw flight crew leave airport. AA would only help passengers with connections. The rest of us scrambled for flights. Locating luggage was a whole other mishap. 2.5 hr flight from QRO-DFW turned into a 10 hour flight, touching down in 2 cities to refuel. Water was being rationed. Children first. No food. No offers from ground crews for additional water or even peanuts. No help with connecting flights. No enough cots in airport, Terribly mishandled. Connecting flight missed but cancelled anyway. MCI-OGG delayed 4 hours. Equipment not available. Automated message via phone at 2.30 am for 7.30 am flight. Was auto rebooked on flight out a day later. Called and obtained same day departure. Hoping I get out. Remember when flying used to be fun and airlines treated us with courtesy? Note: Have flown all other US carriers, AA is cheaper but savings offset by delay costs incurred, other problems and poor treatment.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Reed    (USA)

I flew from Ontario, CA to Indianapolis, IN by way of Dallas, TX (round-trip). All 4 planes were MD-80's - I probably don't need to say much more. These planes should have been taken out of service 10 years ago. I was flying them in the early 90's from ORD to LAX, they needed to be retired back then. All 4 flights were delayed because of mechanical problems (ranging from inoperative toilets to loose electrical panels). All 4 planes were filthy - not just the rest rooms and aisles - but, the seats, windows and tray tables were disgusting. All 4 flights were full - so, as we sat on the planes, waiting for the "maintenance issues" to be resolved, we roasted. Given that I had a similar experience on a trip from Palm Springs to Cleveland (round trip, 4 flight segments) in April on American, I should have known better. But, as a "loyal rewards member," I booked this last flight on American too - hoping for better equipment and on time service. At this point, I don't even expect any aspect of comfort on American flights - I just want a safe plane that lands reasonably on time. Given the last 8 flights that I flew on American planes in the last 90 days, I'm not even certain that the old MD-80's are safe anymore. When 6 out of 8 of my flights were delayed for mechanical or maintenance issues, I begin to wonder, I'm going to start building my miles on United. I'm done with American. P.S. - during the last 20 years, I have been "Gold," "Platinum" and in the "Concierge Key" program - so, I have witnessed the decline of this airline's quality and on- time performance first-hand.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by W Burg    (USA)

Flight #7943 from Honolulu to Los Angeles, April 25 2014. This airline is terrible. The only reason to choose this airline is that they have so many flights to so many locations. But it is as if they don't like to be in flight service. Both my husband and I have been regular flight passengers for most of our adult lives, for business and pleasure. Over the years AA has not improved on any level of their service. Since going online for booking we have yet to have reservation that isn't botched in some way. I am sitting on AA plane as I write this, as we wait, after flying 5.5 hours, for a gate to become available. Though this may be an airport error, the connections between flights is so short that many passengers are in threat of missing there next flight. We almost missed our connecting to this flight because only 30 minutes was allotted between flights. I would gladly pay more for better service, and have, but AA has only increased its prices but not improved the quality of service.

American Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by A Bailey    (USA)

Pensacola to San Francisco. After paying full fare for a toddler in a seat, my pregnant daughter was treated so inconsiderately by American Airlines staff that none of us will ever fly with this airline again. No pre-board because "there are too many children on this flight" and they took her stroller away so that she had to carry 2 bags and the child. On one leg of the flight they gave her back the stroller last and nearly made her miss her connection. There is no compassion from this airline!

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Mark    (USA)

Paris to Boston on an old and uncomfortable 757. The worst international business class seat I've ever had. Did anyone from American try sitting in this seat before they selected it? Small personal video screen with terrible resolution and limited choice of films. Food was inedible. The only good about this flight was the crew - friendly and hard working. Luggage took 40 minutes to unload. Overall a terrible experience.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Sharon Deitz    (USA)

We will never fly with this airline again. Flight out of Moline Il was delayed for an hour because the airplane wasn't there. We finally get a plane and find out from the flight attendant the delay was caused because there was no ramp at their last stop. The pilots did an awesome job getting us to Dallas on time. But then we sat for over an hour waiting to get to a gate. By this time everyone's connecting flights should have left. But we run across the Dallas airport and find out our connecting flight is delayed as well. Seems we didn't have a crew. What a joke. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Erdal Dirlik    (USA)

I recently flew from Miami to London. Sat in the economy class. Seat was extremely narrow, designed for very slim person. I am 185lbs and 5'11". For me the seat was very uncomfortable. If you are a large person recommend to buy 2 seats or avoid flying economy. The cabin was very claustrophobic. There was a big wall in front. The quality and the quantity of the food was pathetic. Inedible unless you were real hungry. This airline lowered their standards tremendously. I used 50000 points and paid $68 for this one way flight. In monetary terms approx $700. If the airlines do not stop abusing their passenger, I personally will give up long distance flying.

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Dennis Kloepper    (USA)

We recently took our family to Maui to celebrate our 48th anniversary. My husband is in his 70's as I am, and he has Parkinson's disease. I have recently had a knee replacement, so we rented a hotel for the park and fly program as did our daughter's family, for a total of $475 so there would be no chance of us being late for our plane which was to leave at 10.35 am. We arrived early, as were told to do. Eventually we found that there was a delay of at least 30 minutes. The delay continued to be extended and ended up being a 9 hour wait. AA reps told us there was nothing they could do. The seats are firm plastic with no head rest or place to lean against the wall. We were given a lunch voucher which we used, but were never offered a dinner voucher. We became more and more frustrated as time progressed. We finally left for a long flight to Maui with a crew who were unhappy to called out on Father's Day on an unexpected flight. Their attitude reflected that. We were not given anything to compensate for all our problems, no free drinks, no food. Nothing. We got to our hotel at 3.30 am. On our trip home we were held up because someone had thrown up in the seat, but it wasn't cleaned up by the cleaning crew. There was vomit on the seats and in the buckle, making it necessary to take off all seat covering, and taking out and putting in all new seatbelt apparatus. To top this all off we are AA frequent flyers!

American Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Ljunggren    (Canada)

What a horrible product AA offers in the back of the plane for longer flights. I flew from Manaus to Miami overnight and could not get comfortable in the nasty thin under padded seats. The meal service was a soggy ham sandwich and a glutinous dessert while the entertainment was provided by screens that dropped down from the ceilings. Even small Air Canada planes have seat back TVs but American's 737s do not, and this on a 5-hour flight. When they dimmed the cabin lights the screens kept playing the film, so good luck trying to get any sleep with the flashing lights in your eyes. Awful, just awful. It is a throwback to the 1990s.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Prewett Bethany    (USA)

I recently booked a 9.30am trip to Amarillo through American Airlines (booked it 2 months in advance). The morning of the flight at about 6.30am (while I was headed to the airport) I was called by American Airlines and it was an automated voice recording telling me that my flight had been cancelled and they automatically put me on a 6.30pm flight that night. I had no option to talk to anyone or hear a reasoning on the scenario that was taking place. I had to call back and go through various automated conversations until I finally reached someone. After explaining the situation (and no sympathy was shown) I realized the person could not help me and did not desire to help me. Little did she know, I had major wedding events to get to at my destination (hints why I booked an early flight in the first place). I ended up having to book another flight through Southwest Airlines last minute (costing me a fortune) just to make it to the city in time. It was an all around awful experience dealing with an impersonal system that left me without answers, paying a fortune, and still arriving later than I planned. I will never again try to fly American Airlines.

American Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Nash    (USA)

On our return flight from Orlando to DFW, we arrived early to the massive lines at security. Got through and sat down for an early dinner, flight delayed. Took our time then another notice, flight delayed again. Finally left dinner and walked around, got to out terminal, flight delayed again. So our 7pm take off was now leaving at 9pm. Sat down and watched TV. Then some people started standing up and getting upset, flight now delayed until 11.45pm. Our plane arrived, but had to wait on a crew to fly us. Finally got on the plane after midnight and waited another hour on the plane. We were told we might not have enough fuel. Really? The plane had been there at the airport for 3 hours and no one checked to refuel it? Got back to DFW at 2.30am. Only one baggage person there at that time and several bags were missing. 30 minutes waiting to get our bag that came in at an early flight. So 8 hours in the airport and all the explanation we got was it was DFW's fault. Never again.

American Airlines Customer review :  1 July 2014 by R Maxwell    (USA)

I was on a round trip Miami to Buenos Aires in business class. I read reviews about the service and aircraft (767-300) being substandard. However, I found the seats to be reasonably comfortable and the service by the Buenos Aires based crew was very nice.