Alitalia Customer Reviews and Alitalia Passenger Trip Reports

Alitalia Customer review :  22 July 2013 by Roger Stone (Australia)

LHR-FCO-FLR-FCO-LHR in a mixture of Business and Economy and a mixed experience overall. Check-in at LHR was a little confusing and I recommend looking out for the special check-in area (not signed) for business passengers. I found the food offerings on Business quite disappointing and the business lounges pretty poor. Nevertheless, the service was pleasant and the short flight from Rome to Florence quite an exciting experience.

Alitalia Customer review :  20 July 2013 by M Palumbo (Brazil)

In June we went on vacation to Italy and, as we had a multiple city itinerary, only this airline could serve us, without the hassle of connecting flights. Outbound flight from Sao Paulo to Rome was uneventful, however, the seat pitch of the Premium Economy definitely does not exist. It only goes a bit down, and that's all. If you are lucky and get the first row, then you'll have more legroom, otherwise, save your money and fly on economy. Prior to take off you got a travel kit and a glass of juice or sparkling wine. The main meal, though better presented, was mediocre. I pre ordered a vegetarian meal, totally uninspiring. No taste, no sauce. Arriving in Rome, the baggage claim was delay, because the ground staff could not open the compartment.

Alitalia Customer review :  16 July 2013 by Grill Webster (USA)

I recently flew JFK-FCO on Alitalia's Airbus A330. Everything was fantastic. Flight attendants were all very nice except for one who wasn't very friendly. I got up to go to the bathroom, the curtain was closed but the bathroom was right behind it. I opened the curtain and she gave me a rude glare and snapped the curtain shut. I had to go use a bathroom behind where I was. Anyway the seats were excellent. I will definitely fly Alitalia again on my next trip to Italy.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 July 2013 by T Stucchi (Italy)

LIN-LHR-LIN. Both flights on time, first one on an old but clean and comfortable A321, second one on a newer A320 with personal LCD screens on each seat. Good legroom, good value for money and adequate service. I would definitely fly them again.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 July 2013 by A Poole (UK)

LHR-FCO-CTA return in June. Overall it was a good experience, but in the months between buying the tickets and the actual flights, they changed our itinerary 3 times. This was due to departure time changes and eventually cancellation of the domestic leg. These changes were communicated to us in email and in Italian language, without offering alternatives, refund or assistance. Bag drop at LHR a bit chaotic, as Alitalia operates several flights in the morning and it seemed not enough desks were open. We ended up waiting 40 minutes in the queue before getting fast tracked along with other passengers on the FCO flight. At FCO, they seem to operate a coach service for every single flight. One flight out of 4 was significantly delayed (FCO to LHR). I liked the generous legroom on board. No sandwiches given out like BA does on European flights, only a small pack of crisps and a drink. Flight attendants were professional and helpful. Despite the above issues, I would fly with Alitalia again as they were helpful and professional when needed.

Alitalia Customer review :  8 July 2013 by L Trittoni (Brazil)

Flew Sao Paulo - Naples (connection in Rome-Fiumicino), June 2013. Flight attendants sometimes rude. Tried to upgrade from standard economy to premium economy but the upgrade cost was twice the cost of the entire ticket. Seats 20A and B. Seat 20A had a large box under the seat in front of me, that really bothered me on the long flight. Catering was ok. Flight to Naples 3 hours delayed due to a hard landing at Rome airport that closed one of the runways.

Alitalia Customer review :  8 July 2013 by Andrea Motetti (Italy)

Rome - Chicago, June 21st, Business Class. Plane was an A330 almost new. The "Magnifica class" is very comfortable, the seats are spacious, the food is excellent. The entertainment system was good. The problem was the staff. We were diverted to Detroit because O'Hare was closed for a thunderstorm. The problem is that we were left alone in the Detroit airport for about 7 hours without any kind of news or assistance. The crew just disappeared with no explanation. Very unprofessional!

Alitalia Customer review :  26 June 2013 by M Lata (USA)

I flew YYZ-FCO. Boarding was chaotic and the flight delayed by poor organization. The plane was old - dirty, panels falling off the bathroom walls, and bathroom doors that wouldn't close. The "entertainment system" was of the old tiny-dropdown-screen variety, and even half of these didn't work. There were two functioning music channels. Food was appalling - and I'm not that picky on airlines. An inedible, leathery, over-microwaved "pasta" dinner, and a "breakfast" that consisted of a tiny carton of yoghurt, a small cup of watery, lukewarm coffee, and a pack of Oreos. The flight attendant sighed and said "the staff complains all the time, but until passengers complain more loudly, they won't do anything." A shame.

Alitalia Customer review :  24 June 2013 by Saul Carpenter (USA)

Chicago to Naples: No place to keep baggage / tight seats / no inflight entertainment / seating area lights (above each seats) were not working. Flight crew disinterested. All in all - I tried to save some money and instead got pennies worth of service for a few dollars less. Naples to Mumbai: just about the same - dirty seats, food was not up to the meal request I made. Insolent staff. Toiletries for the rest-room were consciously missing and in spite of passenger complaints to the same - they were not replenished just because they weren't loaded in the first place. It was a 1 hr transit.

Alitalia Customer review :  24 June 2013 by Maria Sen (Brazil)

Sao Paulo to Nice (connection in Rome) on the business class (AZ0675 14 June returning AZ335 22 June). Airplane was broken and the only person available to give any information took hours to let us know what was going on. The next flight was the next day at 7am. When we arrived in Rome, we had missed our connection, we had to pick up our luggage and take a bus to a hotel. Nobody was there to help us. On the flight back to SP, there was an electrical problem, the seat didn't work, so, I spent 6 hours with a broken seat and didn't get any sleep at all. The movies were old.

Alitalia Customer review :  22 June 2013 by Sasha Viereskovy (Russia)

FCO-LED. Alitalia has one of the best services I've tried. The airplane was new, all seats was comfortable and provided by personal TV, staff were very polite. We landed 30 minutes in advance. Recommended!

Alitalia Customer review :  13 June 2013 by Andrew Vidikan (USA)

Tel Aviv to Rome on an A321, business class, May 20th. Seats are tight, middle seat not used in business class. Plane was dirty. Back of seat showed streaks from spilled food/beverages. Even before plane took off, I went to the rest room behind the cockpit. It smelled terrible. After takeoff, staff rushed to hand out drinks and food, and then set the rest of the trip. For a 4 hour flight, there was no in flight entertainment. I will never fly them again.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 June 2013 by Edward Refundo (USA)

My husband and I travelled to Europe for the very first time, and Italy was our choice destination. From Chicago, they told us that we had to be in separate seats, and of course we protested since we booked months in advance, after a few searches they said they found a couple of seats further back in the plane. Onboard, we realized that it was one of the oldest planes we've been on, complete with ashtray, dingy carpet and upholstery, and green TVs that drop overhead once we took off. I got a broken seat that made me sink lower in it! Flight was full so I had to endure it for 8.5 hours. Reading light was not working. As for the staff, I wouldn't say they are the nicest people but doing their best. Upon landing at FCO in Rome, we walked out into the tarmac, took a bus, walked a not so bad distance to baggage claim, then it took 1.5 hrs for our one piece of luggage to come out. We already started dreading the flight back, but we were just thrilled to finally be in Italy.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 June 2013 by Carroll A Krause (USA)

Chicago to Rome to Naples. From Chicago they put us on a very old Air One plane. Seat comfort almost non- existent, there was no padding, they were so old, the seats and carpet were dirty, old and unravelling at the edges. One of the worst flights I've been on. Flight from Rome to Naples, very nice, clean and comfortable. I guess Alitalia doesn't think you need to be comfortable on a 8-10 hour flight. I'll never use them again.

Alitalia Customer review :  6 June 2013 by J Wolf (USA)

Trip of a lifetime to Rome. They got us there and back safely, so I guess that counts as something. Customer service is horrible. We booked 7 months in advance to have 2 seats together in the Classica Plus. Arrived at JFK and told we were sitting, separately. They changed the plane. Ended up sitting together in the middle row (with 2 other people) and the seats were so uncomfortable. Flight attendants were rude. Flight home also brought unpleasant faces. Given access to the VIP lounge. Food was pretty decent, snacks were non-existent, and restrooms not that clean.

Alitalia Customer review :  4 June 2013 by Keith Sharp (UK)

Business Class from Rome to Buenos Aires was simply dreadful. No separate business class boarding - just had to join the scrum. Lounge in Rome was overcrowded, hot, smelly and had no food except for 3 bowls of cold rice, for which they had at least provided a public microwave. Food onboard was no better. Despite flamboyant trolley service, only the lukewarm pasta in tomato sauce was edible. The veal main course was tough and the vegetables tasted of chemicals. Incredibly, Alitalia carry no gin, vodka or whisky on board - only wine and a few cheap Italian liqueurs. The inflight entertainment simply did not work at all - which is a serious problem on a 13 hour flight. Breakfast was a hard roll and a dry croissant and a pot of inedible cherry jam. We were hungry when we landed. Throughout the crew were arrogant and offhand, only really interested in chatting amongst themselves. All in all the worst business class experience I have had.

Alitalia Customer review :  30 May 2013 by Mario Ronchetti (Italy)

May 25-26 2013, Flights from LIN to LHR - Business Class. The a/c - A321 - was comfortable and clean. The crew kind and customer oriented. During the inbound flight was proposed an excellent breakfast, while during the outbound one the light dinner was excellent too. Good money for value.

Alitalia Customer review :  28 May 2013 by George Economides (Germany)

ATH-FCO-VLC. On the flight from ATH-FCO the cabin staff were very unfriendly. During the safety demonstration the cabin attendant was chewing gum. The onboard service was very poor. Alitalia offered a salty or a sweet snack. FCO airport saddens me. Very old, dirty and chaotic. Airport staff very rude, transfer was smooth. The FCFO-VLC sector was better. Cabin crew were a little bit friendlier than the previous one. Catering was exactly the same like ATH-FCO sector. Aircraft were quite old (former Air One aircraft). The only reason for choosing Alitalia was the ticket price.

Alitalia Customer review :  28 May 2013 by R Ribicki (Canada)

FCO-BOS in Economy class on May 21, 2013. Boarding relatively painless, performed according to row, from back to front after Elite status and Business class passengers. Plane was a pristine Airbus A330 Enhanced wide body with 2-4-2 configuration. Seat pitch generous for economy and seemed to afford an extra 1-2 inches of leg room. Inflight entertainment was state of the art for Economy class with a USB outlet and a decent variety of film, music and gaming options. Operational immediately upon taking my seat. A novelty, at least for me, was the exterior camera that allowed views of take-off and landing. Seats were comfortable with fully adjustable headrests. Economy meal was actually quite tasty, with pasta or chicken options. A full selection of beverages, including wine, were served at no extra charge. Apart from the plastic cutlery and plates, the meal rivalled some I have been served in Business or domestic First class cabins. Crew professional, polite and efficient with no surliness. They smiled and accommodated passenger requests when a call button was pressed. If this flight was an indication of the direction Alitalia is heading, then I will fly them again, at least on this particular type of aircraft, without hesitation.