Alitalia Customer Reviews and Alitalia Passenger Trip Reports

Alitalia Customer review :  30 January 2013 by G MacMhathain (UK)

Flew from Luxembourg to Rio and back to London in January. Long-haul flights were on Alitalia's brand new A330 which is a very nice plane. Sadly, the overall experience wasn't great - the staff looked bored and disappeared for most of the flight, the food was pretty disgusting (and I'm not a fussy eater), the in-flight entertainment system was very sticky (cue people hitting the screen behind your head for half the flight) and the selection of films was poor. The flights were ridiculously cheap so perhaps you get what you pay for in which case maybe this review should be an overall 9.

Alitalia Customer review :  29 January 2013 by G L Vecchi (Italy)

LIN-FCO-YYZ, economy class. All flights on time, aircraft's in good conditions. Cabin crew so-so. Food better than other flights. Will definitely fly them again.

Alitalia Customer review :  29 January 2013 by N Georgas (Greece)

Greece to Toronto, Ontario. Flight was ok but the service and my seating arrangements were absolutely horrible. I flew with my 2 daughters, one who is 9 months old and even when I arranged for a bassinet for the baby, I had my daughter for 11 hrs on my lap because apparently Alitalia only carries 2 Bassinets on the flight. After all this they lost my luggage when I arrived and it took 5 days for me to retrieve it. My first and last time I fly with them.

Alitalia Customer review :  17 January 2013 by F Moedinger (Italy)

Flew VRN-FCO-MIA and back in Alitalia economy on a reward ticket. All flights more or less on time. Crew on domestic flights almost courteous, crew on international flights presumptuous and on the brink of being outright brazen. On top of that they did not see any need to keep the airplane reasonably clean. The restrooms looked, on both intercontinental trips, like the restrooms of a run down railway station. If you have an alternative avoid Alitalia.

Alitalia Customer review :  2 January 2013 by A Scheel (Germany)

Frankfurt-Rome-Tblisi. Check-in Frankfurt is done together with Air France/KLM in T2 - very efficient. Frankfurt-Rome on time with beverage service. Crew okay. No newspapers on this flight. Rome-Tblisi at odd Hours, arrived in Tblisi at 5 am. Flight only 70% booked, so I had plenty of space. Food was good, though cold only. IFE limited. Baggage took quite a long time to arrive on the belt. Would fly again.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 December 2012 by Turhan Azra (Canada)

YYZ-FCO-IST. We flew with Boeing 777-200 from Toronto to Rome. We had a delay of half an hour. The airplane was decent. The cabin crew were not friendly. I ordered vegetarian meal and it was awful. I have flown this route before, and the meal was the same for both flights. They never change the menu! The personal entertainment system was terrible. It had very limited variety of songs and movies. Also, it did not work for about 2 hours. The snack was good and it was prepared specially for vegetarians. The seats were okay. When we landed to FCO, the ground crew were rude and raised their voice to us just because we stopped for a minute to take out our boarding passes. From Rome to Istanbul, the seats were uncomfortable. We had a delay of half an hour. The snack was good but it was very small. Overall, I will totally not recommend this route because of the delays and the little leg-room.

Alitalia Customer review :  20 December 2012 by Christian Prade (USA)

MIA-MXP. Plane delayed 9 hours in Miami. Departure at 3.15am! Old plane with scotch tape on the seats. The worse was to come. 12 hours instead of 8 hours flight as one radio was not working . Instead of the direct route over Bermuda, we flew west of Goose Bay in Canada, over Greenland, Iceland and Scotland. We had to be always 3 hours maximum from an airfield. In total 11 hours delay in Milan.

Alitalia Customer review :  17 December 2012 by Dario Mattiello (Argentina)

AZ 681/680 from/to Buenos Aires to Rome in Magnifica Class. Fantastic seat, configuration 1+2+1. Flight on time, nice Aerolineas (Skyteam) Business lounge in new terminal C of EZE. Captain at the door welcoming all J pax. The Chief Purser introduced herself personally to all pax in J. Very nice Bulgari amenity kit. Lunch was served with individual placemat. Flight attendants move with a trolley and prepare the dishes for you upon request. Interesting Italian regional menus. Top Italian wines. 3 pastas and 2 main courses of meat and fish. Nespresso coffee (finally on board), pastries, cheeses and fruit salads. Dish presentation can probably be improved, but the quality of the food was impressive. Entertainment good, but not extraordinary. The TV monitors are not last generation and quality of image is not state of the art. Too few blockbusters, too many retro movies. Night open buffet with everything you need. Breakfast prior to arrival, very good but not 5 star. Cabin attendants attentive and smiley. Good communication from the cockpit. Landed on time in Rome. Baggage came out 45 minutes after, but this is not AZ fault. Same thing and the coming back flight, apart from a minor communication from the cockpit.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 December 2012 by J Stegall (USA)

MIA-FCO (seat 4L), and FCO-MIA (seat 4A) in late Nov 2012. Seat was very comfortable, liked the way the table works, and the large video screens are nice. I had a window seat, and it had very good privacy. I thought the seat could have been a little longer for sleeping, but it was comfortable enough. The centre section seats do not have air vents, though those on the window sides of aisles (both the aisle and window) do have air vents. Video (movies, etc.) were OK. The seat in general was the best I've been in out of Delta, Air France, KLM and Continental/United. However, I'd have to say the service, especially on the FCO-MIA leg left a good bit to be desired. Food wasn't properly heated on either leg, though was good. On FCO-MIA (all daylight flight), the crew did a lunch service, and then disappeared until they served the pre-landing meal. Other than the actual meal service, they disappeared. This crew had some ice and a few drinks they put out self-service, but then never showed up again. This aircraft actually has the seats split into two business sections - the forward section where most Magnifica seats are located (Rows 1-5) and then small section behind the doors with rows 6-7. Upon arrival in MIA, my checked bag did not appear up on the carousel. I had a connection to make, but needed to pick up, clear customs, and recheck my bag, but that's hard to do with no bag. An agent got me through customs and sent me on to my flight, all the while assuring me that my bag would make it. After boarding my Delta connecting flight, the Delta agent came onboard to my seat and gave the me the bag check slip and my bag did indeed make the connecting flight.

Alitalia Customer review :  6 December 2012 by G Alexander (Australia)

I was on a return flight from Rome to Istanbul. I had booked a ticket on the website with an approximate 1% discount for EU citizens 25 or under for which I am a British EU citizen who was 25 at the time. On my flight to Istanbul, I had to wait for quite a while at the counter to get my boarding pass. I do not speak Italian, and the staff spoke among themselves in Italian for a long while without telling me what the problem was, in fact not admitting there was a problem. There wasn't a big line so this didn't delay other passengers. Eventually they issued me my boarding pass. Ok, a bit of a pain but not such a big deal. The flight was without incident. On my return flight Istanbul to Rome, I got to the counter to collect my boarding pass and there was another holdup. The staff spoke amongst themselves for much longer than the first flight, approximately 30-45 minutes. Again they wouldn't admit there was a problem and I asked several times what the supposedly non existent problem was with no luck. Again they spoke in their own language to each other and on the phone so I couldn't eavesdrop. They also made several phone calls. I was getting pretty anxious because I thought there was a serious problem. As there were only a small number of counters in operation for Alitalia in Istanbul at the time, the line ballooned outas a result of the holdup and I wonder if some passengers missed their flights. Eventually, the counter staff asked me if I was a student. I said no. They then told me to go and buy a new ticket without explaining why. When I pried them, they told me it was because I had purchased a discount ticket without the right to do so. I then explained to them that Alitalia had offered an approximate 1% discount on their website for EU citizens 25 and under, and the discount had nothing to do with being a student. The lady at the counter then made another call, then issued me my boarding pass without apologising. I am not sure if it was the same problem on the outbound flight, but It does seem rather odd that the staff appeared not aware of their own policy regarding the 25 and under discount for EU citizens (maybe the policy changed?) which is quite a common discount that many companies and organisations offer in the EU. Also if they had have admitted what the problem was from the beginning, I could have resolved the whole thing right away. It also appeared to me to be a poor use of judgement to hold up the line for such a considerable amount of time over the question of a discount of approximately 1 euro. This upset me greatly. Otherwise, the flight itself was without incident.

Alitalia Customer review :  29 November 2012 by M Perez (USA)

Economy, JFK-FCO-MAD-MXP-JFK. They were on time, aircraft appeared well maintained. Cabin staff was professional and responded to one's needs. I will definitely fly with them again.

Alitalia Customer review :  27 November 2012 by R Singh (Canada)

We flew Toronto to Rome and back and I was pleasantly surprised with how good this airline was. The to flight was in an older plane, but he staff was friendly and accommodating and our return flight was in a newer plane with interactive LCD's in each seat. I'm 5'6" and the seating was not cramped at all. The in flight food was decent as far as airplane food goes. Based on the reviews of Alitalia, I was expecting a terrible experience - but that was not the case at all.

Alitalia Customer review :  26 November 2012 by Claudio Biasiotti (Italy)

We flew recently in Magnifica (business) to Caracas (July 16th and August 27th 2012) and in Classica Plus (premium economy) to New York (November 4th and 19th). Not a terrible experience, but sorry to say that our national airline is poor in terms of comfort, service and quality of food. In Magnifica the service is not adequate at all (why are the flight attendants, with some exceptions, so rude?) and the food is very far from the Italian excellent international reputation. In Classica Plus we experienced seats not much more comfortable than in Economy, very poor food, light and headphones malfunctions. Extremely sad.

Alitalia Customer review :  20 November 2012 by C Granzarolo (Italy)

FCO-BRU and return, (departure on 17-11-2012, return on 18-11-2012). Both flights on a clean A320 which was quite comfortable. Departures and arrivals on time, efficient and polite flight crew and an appropriate food service for a 2 hours flight.

Alitalia Customer review :  14 November 2012 by B Muto (Canada)

Toronto to Rome and back again. Couldn't get proper seat assignments due to inconsistent information at booking, and then at check in. Spent in total 18+ hours in cramped miserable seats. Check in staff in Rome were extremely rude. There are no words for how bad the food was - they would be better off telling passengers to buy food at the airport prior to boarding because it was horrible. Boarding is basically a free for all, with no queuing or filling the plane from rear to front - so it ends up with people racing for overhead bins. No assistance for families or elderly passengers. Basically, they got us to Italy and back. But it was just an awful experience all around.

Alitalia Customer review :  9 November 2012 by M Krall (USA)

Flew American Airlines from US to Paris and back, travelled by train to Rome, then flew Alitalia from Rome to Tel Aviv, then from Tel Aviv back to Paris connecting in Rome. The tickets, purchased several months ahead, were an excellent price. The ticket counter staff in both Tel Aviv and Rome as well as the staff on the plane were friendly, helpful, and professional. We had no trouble getting desired seats. We ordered vegetarian food, which was excellent (fruit, two salads, fresh bread and butter, cheese, free wine) on both flights. The food on our Air France code share flight from Rome to Paris was a poor tuna sandwich, but the staff and service were excellent.

Alitalia Customer review :  6 November 2012 by L Stubbs (UK)

Flew Heathrow to Rome and back as part of a package that included flight. The toilets on the outbound journey were disgusting. On the return journey the experience was the worst I have experienced. As others have said when the flight was called there was no orderly boarding of the plane. People pushed and shoved me out of the way to get on first, even though seats had been allocated. Once onboard I could see why. Having spent ages finding the correct size bag to fit in the overhead lockers, when I finally got onboard, space was limited. Passengers were cramming bags in where they could. Whilst we were still climbing and with the seat belt sign still illuminated, passengers started to walk around the plane, the stewardesses said nothing. The carpet was threadbare throughout. This is clearly a budget airline with a disregard to rules.

Alitalia Customer review :  1 November 2012 by S Ireland (USA)

I flew from NY to Rome. It was a long flight with a rude flight crew, poor quality food, and a dirty plane. It was a mad house from the ticket counter to the boarding gate. A real lack of organization and even less concern for their customers. Plane arrived on time, but the 9 hour + trip was not enjoyable given the conditions.

Alitalia Customer review :  30 October 2012 by Dennis Thornton (USA)

LAX-FCO-PMO. FCO-LAX. All flights left thirty or more minutes late, but we didn't miss any connections. The food was good, and flight attendants were generally friendly. We liked the bottomless wine and self-service snacks. Check-in process in Rome was bad, waited in line for almost 90 minutes to check in, which was frustrating. At the gate, no organization at all. They just open the gate and it's a cattle call to squeeze onto the plane. Experience was better that expected.

Alitalia Customer review :  24 October 2012 by J Stone (USA)

BOS-FCO, FCO-BOS - Outbound, we were assigned vegetarian meals (whether through our error or theirs, I can't say). I didn't eat the dinner but for breakfast we were served a single rice cake and a few pieces of cut fruit! On the return flight, they messed up our seat reservations (made 5 months in advance), not once, but twice for the same flight. The crew's passenger list showed no seat assignments for us, so we got two middle seats next to the loos. On both trips, the planes were dirty. The carpets were filthy. The loos looked clapped- out, with bits of paper stuck around the walls. Do they ever clean these planes? Pros: The crew were polite.

Alitalia Customer review :  23 October 2012 by Alan Thompson (UK)

Heathrow to Bari via Linate return. The Alitalia experience within Europe has been improving consistently. Sad to see the end of the MD80s but the new fleet is good and clean, service is fine and all flights were on time or early. Online booking is easy as is online check in though this is not yet available when with under 12s from Italy.

Alitalia Customer review :  19 October 2012 by Sandro Andretta (USA)

YYZ-FCO 09/09/2012. Pros: great flight crew. Strangely, it was an all-boys crew, however, they did their best to accommodate passengers’ needs. Level of attentiveness was very good and they were ready to smile and to answer any question. Pros: thinking AZ was a Star Alliance member I would have expected better standards. B763 was truly worn out, even if it sported Star Alliance’ s logo. No PTV (almost acceptable) but the monitor close to my seat was shut off. The trim of the overhead bins across from my aisle was missing, leaving a “raw” piece of airplane in plain sight. Throughout the night, when the cabin lights were shut off, the reading lights of my row were going off at once, giving a sort of flashing / disco effect to the cabin. Although it was 09/09, the in-flight magazines were the ones of the previous month. The light brown economy seat I was in showed large dark spots, although it felt slightly wider than regular economy seats and (a little bit) softer.

Alitalia Customer review :  18 October 2012 by Kris Kowalewski (Canada)

We flew to Rome from Toronto. The seats were very uncomfortable. The television monitors were the old style, down the centre and far apart, and showing a movie with English subtitles. Our return flight was no better, I'd say it was worse. The boarding was a free for all, no help for seniors or folks with little ones. They started to load from the front then opened the back doors, so you had folks trying to squeeze past each other in the aisles with luggage, while others were stowing belongings - it was chaos. Our seats were dirty, stained and torn fabric, pockets were ripped. The meal - dried out and cold pasta that they called a lasagne. Needless to say never again.

Alitalia Customer review :  17 October 2012 by A Ceviche (UK)

I fly to MXP or LIN often from London and have to say Alitalia have one of the youngest fleets in Europe. Planes are spotless (unlike UK counterparts) and the service is always top class including the food. It's such a refreshing change from 5/6 years ago!

Alitalia Customer review :  9 October 2012 by Andrea Pastorelli (USA)

Milan-NY JFK - I recently flew A330 from Milan to New York JFK in economy class and the flight was extremely good. The plane was clean and brand new, the seats very spacious and comfortable. Most importantly the in-flight entertainment was the best I have ever had in economy on any airline. The screen is very large and the selection of movies is very impressive. Food was better than most economy flights as well. They even gave us ice cream mid-flight and plenty of drinks. Very nice touches. Overall, this was the best economy class flight I have ever taken. Alitalia has improved so much, they deserve a new reputation now.

Alitalia Customer review :  9 October 2012 by Andrea Pastorelli (USA)

JFK-Rome FCO. A330 New York to Rome in Premium Economy, a new class Alitalia just launched. The flight was amazing. Plane was new and clean and the Premium Economy has a separate cabin that is spacious and very nice. We received a welcome glass of Prosecco and snacks, which was a very nice touch. The seats were very comfortable and the entertainment system was amazing. The screen is very large by any standards (bigger than in most business class seats) and the choice of movies was impressive in many languages. The food could be improved for sure and the service still has some way to go, but overall the new Alitalia is much better than before.

Alitalia Customer review :  8 October 2012 by C Van Winkle (Canada)

We flew Toronto to Rome and on to Rimini. Our experience with Alitalia was terrible. We were delayed by 5 hours leaving Toronto which resulted in a 9 hour layover in Rome. This turned into a 12 hour layover as our flight was delayed. We were given no information about how the delay would impact our connection and were sent from desk to desk to speak with various staff who were rude and couldn't (or wouldn't help). Since we had been awake for over 30 hours without our baggage we asked staff for toiletries so that we could wash and brush our teeth. Staff were rude and unsympathetic.

Alitalia Customer review :  4 October 2012 by T Sanchez    (USA)

LAX to VCE via FCO, 9/15, FCO to LAX 9/27. Both flights on A330 with new seat configurations. Second leg from FCO - left 45 mins late arrived into LAX 30 mins earlier. Fast check-in, good flight, good food, great service from flight crew, plane very clean. No problems. Will fly Alitalia in the future.

Alitalia Customer review :  3 October 2012 by D Zucca    (USA)

Sep 7 LAX-PMO (via FCO), return on Sep 17. Impressive service, longhaul from LAX-FCO (and back) on clean, newer 777, professional, attentive and neat crew that served 2 meals and a snack efficiently. Between services crew visible and readily available to assist. Left LAX late but made up time, easy connection to PMO. FCO is sprawled out and walking between intl and domestic terminal long-not for the out-of-shape. Boarding area for return FCO-LAX was a fiasco-no delineated queues, difficult to understand overhead announcements- in either English or Italian. Would recommend Alitalia!

Alitalia Customer review :  1 October 2012 by Kathryn Shewell    (Canada)

Flew from Toronto to Rome and back. Boarding in Toronto was chaotic, there was no process to board back of the plane first, then middle, then front. It was a free-for all. Staff remained at back of plane for entire flight, except when serving beverages then meals. No water or snacks in between meals. The planes were old - in fact had ashtrays in the arm rests. TV's were the old fashioned, shared versions. Movie on the way over was pathetic. One of two movies on way back was good. Cold air was blowing the entire time from Rome to Toronto, with no way to adjust air flow. I will not fly Alitalia again.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 September 2012 by G Rinmanis    (Canada)

Flight from Toronto to Rome and then connecting from Rome to Milan. Our flight was late leaving Toronto by 45 minutes, actually 1 hour by the time we left the runway. During the flight the crew were inattentive and somewhat rude. They appeared only when serving drinks and meals and disappeared during the remainder of the flight. Passengers had to go and get their own drinks after service was completed. Lots of spills as passengers walked from the back of the plane with their drinks. The continental breakfast was pathetic offering 2 Oreo cookies along with yoghurt and a soggy pastry inside a cellophane wrapper. When we landed, there was no fast tracking provided for us at the passport control and we had only half an hour to get through before our connecting flight. It was no surprise, that we missed the connection as it was in the other terminal. We were issued another boarding pass and had to wait another 2 hours for the next flight. That flight too was late leaving. We will never fly Alitalia again. Service is unreliable, flight crew are indifferent and the washroom facilities during the flight are deplorable.

Alitalia Customer review :  18 September 2012 by D Manasse    (USA)

My husband and I recently took a code share flight with Delta on Alitalia from Chicago to Rome. Flight #'s 629 ORD-FCO and 628 from FCO-ORD. Both flights were pretty much on time and boarding was a very organized way of doing things. The organization from Rome was a fiasco. There were not enough seats in the terminal at the gate causing everyone to crowd around the desk. It was impossible to see where we were to enter the process of boarding other than the blue carpet for the honorary fliers. This caused a huge crush when rows were called. It was chaos. The service on the plane was ok, however, the food was totally inedible. The snack on the return flight was tasteless. There were no air vents at the seats and the lighting on the sides of the airplane was out in many areas. The bathrooms were not in good repair and the TP ran out early although it was replenished at some point. The monitors were very far apart. If you weren't sitting in a seat close to one, it was impossible to watch the programs.

Alitalia Customer review :  14 September 2012 by A Storey    (USA)

Rome - Moscow, A320. Good flight, good food for lunch and good crew. Would definitely use again for short haul flights.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 September 2012 by B Law    (UK)

Both onward and return journey were delayed by 1 hour. On arrival at Rome airport, there was no transit assistance offered as connecting flight to Bari was due to take off in 20 minutes. Security personnel in transit area not helpful and won't give fast track access when explained that we will miss our connecting flight if we join the long endless queue. Tried to speak to an Alitalia stewardess who totally ignore our calls for help. Finally, we had to exit the terminal and walk to the departure terminal, security and passport control, run to the Gate number on our boarding pass and realised that they have made a late change to Gate number. Luckily the flight to Bari was also delayed and we didn't miss the flight. We didn't need to have this hassle if there was Alitalia attendant at hand to assist people on connecting flights.

Alitalia Customer review :  31 August 2012 by D Panetta    (USA)

Booked flight from JFK to Reggio Calabria with a stop in Rome. Flight left JFK over an hour late for no apparent reason other than waiting for late passengers. We originally would have 70 minutes to transfer in Rome. Because we left late we only had 30 minutes. My son and I ran to get to our gate and were able to arrive with 10 minutes to spare only to be told that our baggage will not make the transfer and we were not allowed to board without our baggage. We had to wait 4 hours for the next flight at 5.15 which did not board until after 5.20. Coming home was not any better. Flight from Reggio Calabria to Rome left over 30 minutes late and the flight from Rome back to JFK left over 20 minutes late. The only flight on time seemed to be the one that we were not allowed to be on.

Alitalia Customer review :  30 August 2012 by R Fry    (UK)

First experience of split flights - stop overs in FCO on way out and LIN on way back (LHR-CAT return). Booking flights only possible via Expedia (avoid) - simply did not show up on Alitalia website which also not good for non-Italian speakers. On line check in a delight. Ground staff not great - on way back told we were too early for check-in. Main problem was both initial flights were delayed an hour taking off and connection times were tight, causing anxiety. In the event pilots radioed ahead, flights were connected with and baggage no problem. Be aware there is no food on Millemiglia flights.

Alitalia Customer review :  29 August 2012 by M Yeo    (USA)

This was my first time flying with them to Milan. The lounge at JFK was the smallest I've ever been to and unfortunately the amenities was minimal there and forget using the toilet, I swear the toilets at Penn station was cleaner. I didn't think this flight experience was going to be better, but I was very impressed with the level of efficiency it took the crew to help everyone to their seats and the flight took off on time. Service was excellent and the food was impressive for airline food. The new Magnifica cabin was clean and spacious. The new pods were very comfortable and each seat has a massager and sleeps flat. Suffice to say we were well pampered from beginning till the end of our flight which arrived 45 mins early.

Alitalia Customer review :  22 August 2012 by Giuseppe Di Murro    (Italy)

FCO-LAX in business Magnifica Class. Fast check-in, good service in Alitalia Lounge in Terminal 3 (FCO), priority access to the recently refurbished B772. Helpful and gentle cabin crew, excellent food and wine. The IFE has the same choices of the Economy class but is enough to entertain you even on a 13 hours flight.

Alitalia Customer review :  21 August 2012 by W Kenter    (Netherlands)

Aug 16, Boston - Rome FCO, AZ 615, departure 5.10 pm. First stood 1 hour at the gate due to mechanical issues. After we finally took off, the pilot informed us the landing gear was malfunctioning and after a fuel dump we would return to Boston. After an hour of circling above the greater Boston area he informed us to divert to New York JFK. No information yet. Three hours after initial departure we made and emergency landing at JFK. They kept us in the plane for an other hour, let us wait for our luggage and let us stand in line form more then 3 hours to get hotel vouchers and rebooking to other flight. No drinks or beverages provided, staff very unfriendly and uncoordinated.

Alitalia Customer review :  17 August 2012 by S Pascu    (Romania)

13 Aug, Rome to Bucharest. Flight scheduled to leave at 21.30 and we waited on board until about 22.30 for the aircraft to leave. Cabin crew unfriendly and we were only given a small bag of taralli and a drink. Arrived at the airport (around 00.40) only to discovered one of our bags did not arrive.

Alitalia Customer review :  15 August 2012 by L Hammond    (UK)

LHR-FCO-NRT / NRT-FCO-LHR. Generally ground staff at LHR and NRT were good and same for inflight cabin crew. Ground staff at FCO were unbelievably rude asking me questions about where I was going and why without even a "I hope you enjoyed your trip!".

Alitalia Customer review :  13 August 2012 by M Studzinski    (Poland)

Milan - London LHR. A320 in Air One colours, Leather seats, but very dirty. Entire row of 6 had no inflight magazines, two seats (out of 6) had a sick bag, safety cards had chewing gum stuck to it. For over 2 hrs flight we were given A CHOICE of tiny pack of biscotti or salty snacks, and a drink. Cabin crew spoke proper English but were not interested in any kind of service. I flown low costs with much better service than this.

Alitalia Customer review :  13 August 2012 by M Studzinski    (Poland)

Warsaw-Rome, A320, operated by CAI First. After many disappointing flights with AZ, this one was surprisingly very pleasant. Clean airplane, even with small TV screen in each seat (size of IPhone, but working!). Nice, smiling cabin crew, reacting on cabin calls. Food, as always, almost not existent, drinks service (nice Italian wines), flight on time. The only down point is lack of inflight magazine in a seat pocket.

Alitalia Customer review :  8 August 2012 by J Harrington    (USA)

Wife and daughter were booked on Alitalia Flight 615 at 5.10 pm tonight from Boston to Rome. Alitalia boarded them, waited an hour, cancelled the flight for mechanical issues, promised a new plane, broke the promise, made them wait 2 hours for their luggage, and then put them in a line of hundreds of people to rebook. Alitalia 800 number refused to help - which guaranteed their passengers would almost all miss tonight's later flights to Europe.

Alitalia Customer review :  2 August 2012 by A Mura    (Italy)

GOA-ALG-GOA: 1st flight GOA-FCO on A320. No orange juice. No breakfast. Only coffee, tea or water. In Rome 30 mins on the plane due to absence of mobile scales in FCO; FCO-ALG: A320 quite new. Personal monitor did not work. No white wine. On the way back (departure at 11.55 am) no lunch at all. Only 6 traditional biscuits. FCO-GOA 30 mins delay from Rome. Good connection for Algiers.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 July 2012 by Matteo Bertoni    (Italy)

MXP-JFK in Economy. Airbus 330 is silent and comfortable, even if a bit worn-out. Service and politeness great. Always smiles to customers. Cabin Chief passing through both Economy and Business class to ensure with passengers everything was OK. Nice touch. Food good quality. AZ really has improved.

Alitalia Customer review :  23 July 2012 by M Weiner    (USA)

Barcelona to Rome then connecting from Rome to Miami. We had reservations for the Classica Plus class seats on the Rome-Miami leg. In Barcelona they attempted to print our boarding passes for the second leg of the flight but were unable to, after having us wait for over an hour while they attempted to do so. Apparently the original plane was switched to an aircraft without the Classica Plus section. Never informed of this change, and apparently neither was the check-in desk in Spain. In Barcelona, we were told to report directly to the gate in Rome where they would have our boarding passes. After racing through the airport in Rome and arriving at the gate, we were told there was no Classica Plus on this aircraft. Rather than upgrade us to business class, we were downgraded to economy class with four seats in the centre of the plane. We were told to go to the ticketing desk in Miami when we landed for a refund of the overcharge. In addition to the downgrade to economy class, my reservation for a gluten-free meal was lost, leaving me unable to eat most of the food available on the flight. When we finally landed, two of our bags were missing. We were then told they were left in Rome. They were delivered late the next evening. We had to then wait at the ticketing desk for our refund. We are still awaiting a refund for the overcharge for economy class.

Alitalia Customer review :  5 July 2012 by L Heile    (USA)

The flight from Rome to Toronto, 14 June, was the worst flight I have experienced. Flight attendants were rude and inattentive. Most of them remained in the rear of the plane socializing. They failed to maintain even a semblance of cleanliness in the restrooms, which, by the flight's conclusion, were filthy. The floors were strewn with wet paper towels, the trash receptacle was overflowing, and the sinks were clogged. Furthermore, the seats had little or no padding, some were actually repaired with masking tape. Only centre consoles were available for entertainment. A miserable experience.

Alitalia Customer review :  2 July 2012 by A Crociani    (Italy)

FCO-LAX-FCO on a 777-200ER which was completely full in both flights, fast check-in, departure and arrival on time. The flights were calm and nice thanks to a good on-board entertainment system and a professional and friendly cabin crew which passed frequently offering beverages. the food was good, two meals and many snacks and drinks with an open bar in the back of the plane.

Alitalia Customer review :  21 June 2012 by M Johnston    (USA)

Flew from JFK to Palermo with a connection in Rome and from Catania to JFK connecting in Rome again. We had a two-hour delay sitting on the tarmac at JFK, with NO information. Obviously missed our connection in Rome and were hustled off to a later connecting flight, again with no information. On the return trip, we again had a tight connection so our bags did not make it to JFK - and they weren't delivered to us for two more days. Flight attendants were rude and/or preoccupied. Food was inedible. I'll never fly Alitalia again.

Alitalia Customer review :  19 June 2012 by Lisa Haugan    (USA)

We booked a flight from New York City to Rome, and Delta airlines farmed us out to Alitalia. We checked in online the night before our return trip and arrived at the airport 2 1/2 hours early for our flight. Only to be told the flight was overbooked and they gave our seats away. They were very rude and would not even try to explain why they gave our seats away. We were just told to go rebook. We went to that counter, and they said they got us rebooked on another flight through Delta. We went to that terminal, only to be told the ticket we had was for standby only, as their flight was full as well. Alitalia did not care, and just wanted to push us off to someone else. Delta were very professional, and we're able to get us on a flight home. I will never travel by Alitalia again.

Alitalia Customer review :  19 June 2012 by F Choong    (UK)

LHR-FCO-GIG-FCO-LHR. Really nice surprise at London Heathrow flying on A321 with old Alitalia livery. Service onboard very professional with an excellent hot snack (omelette and salmon) for a duration of 2.5h. Transfer at Rome Fiumicino painless using fast track lane and the airport has lots of shops and restaurants. The Alitalia Giotto lounge was packed but the drinks selection was fine as well as the variety of sandwiches. Boarding A330 to Rio quick using Sky Priority lane. The aircraft had the new Magnifica Class with a 1-2-1 configuration. It was half full. Plenty of space in overhead lockers however, if you seat in the middle, there are none and have to use the ones on the side. Pre-taking off drinks given, great selection of appetizers and the best moment was the food. Alitalia won best Airline Food recently and I was very much looking forward to it. Succulent Beef with Roasted Mediterranean vegetables as main course and for dessert a light unctuous Neapolitan Almond Cake. A 5 stars food and the espresso is served in a very beautiful cup and lid. The IFE had a good variety of recent movies but I thought the international selection was lacking. They have Flat beds (Only Skyteam airline in Europe to have these) and managed a good 7h sleep with a very comfortable duvet. The amenities given were a Bulgari bag with lots of toiletries products, very much appreciated and high class. Staff very professional, smiling and very happy to go for the extra mile for the customers. Breakfast consisted of a selection of Italian pastries and cakes with fresh fruits, excellent! On the return leg, Alitalia uses Air France/KLM lounge that can be cramped at times but it has great selection of hot snacks (the palm tree heart quiches are gorgeous). Boarding the A330 was painless again and the Magnifica class was full this time. Despite taking off 1h later, we managed to catch up 30 minutes. The amenities given was another Bulgari bag and the best highlight was the food again with Pork Milanese as main course. Slept a good 7hours and had a copious breakfast before landing in Rome. The A321 to London was on time and service very good again. Overall, a good value for money, their new Magnifica class is an excellent product, their Flat beds very comfortable and it's the Best Food I've ever had on an airline. Would recommend to anyone trying their new Business class either for professional purpose or leisure. Will definitely fly again with Alitalia on the lines featuring the new Magnifica Class.

Alitalia Customer review :  19 June 2012 by Alan Thompson    (UK)

London to Bari via Rome, Bari to London via Milan. Very good experience, airline is consistently improving. Online check-in now available when travelling with children making baggage drop at Heathrow very easy and quick. Planes clean and modern, drinks fine, snack just adequate (similar to BA in Europe now). Prices were good and arrivals near enough on time.

Alitalia Customer review :  18 June 2012 by Y Raltseva    (UK)

Nothing seems to have changed since privatisation. Apart from the fact that prices have gone up and a meal is no longer offered, including on 3 hours from London to Rome. Check-in staff rude at London, Thessaloniki and Rome. Asked to check in an extra bag due to a medical condition, and still within the baggage limitations, but was asked to pay 40 euros. Flight was only half full. Also very difficult to find the gate for the connecting flight. Crew were only friendly on leg Rome-Thessaloniki and there doesn't seem to be consistency with the service. Only Italian customers seem to get asked whether they want sweet or savoury biscuits. Otherwise they don't even greet when you board and seem preoccupied with their own chat. London to Rome half an hour late without an announcement or apology. There was a customer satisfaction survey on board between Rome and London but only a hand-full of people were picked, not sure according to what criteria.

Alitalia Customer review :  14 June 2012 by N Piano    (USA)

ROMA-ORD on a new A330. Flight on time and FA's professional. Individual inflight entertainment system with USB port at every seat. Great selection of movies and TV shoes. Overall great flight.

Alitalia Customer review :  11 June 2012 by Michael Bahar    (Italy)

MIA-MXP on a new A330, traveling with my wife and infant son. We were greeted by a very nice staff member in Miami, who gave us comfortable front row seats with a baby bassinet. Flight staff were courteous and professional. Food was average, but not bad and with good portions. An open bar with snacks and beverages was at present for the entire flight, and cabin attendants passed offering water frequently. The IFE system is one of the best I’ve seen in an airline – dozens of films, games and TV shows in a 9 inch touch-screen and in many different languages. Departure on time, we arrived to Milan 20 minutes before schedule. I will definitely fly with Alitalia again.

Alitalia Customer review :  8 June 2012 by F Acierno    (USA)

BOS-NAP in coach. Brand new Airbus 330-200 economy class. Window seats. On time departure and 30 minutes early arrival to FCO. FCO-NAP, MD 80, great jets but its time to give them up. Service from Boston to Rome very good, food and seats comfortable and the smell of a new air craft made it more enjoyable. I just booked another flight for September and received a great deal on.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 June 2012 by Allan Leung    (Italy)

LIN-FCO-IST-FCO-LIN. Check-in at Linate was done over the phone so I just had to pick my boarding pass at the counter. Polite staff at the gate changed my seat on the FCO-IST to a better selection. LIN-FCO was a great flight, everything smooth and good service. Flight to IST was terrible, rude staff and poor food availability. Only a cookie for a 2 hr international flight. Return flight was even worse, rude flight attendant and very unhelpful. Service still below standards and lacking. FCO-LIN was a delight compared to the previous flight. Flight crew was totally on another level making the flight enjoyable. No consistency on this airline and should also focus not only on their major route between Milan and Rome.

Alitalia Customer review :  6 June 2012 by G Harnett    (Portugal)

We have just travelled from Rome to Barcelona and paid 845 for two business class seats. We had just finished a cruise and had a lot of luggage and we didn't want hassle with excess luggage costs etc. There were 3 people including us in business. Although there were 3 stewardess's we were not greeted at all. 20 minutes into this short flight we still had not seen a stewardess so I rang the button and asked for a drink. My wife asked for a G and T and I asked for a glass of Champagne. No gin, no vodka and needless to say no Champagne. The White wine offered was warm and undrinkable. The food was terrible too. After serving the food we didn't see the stewardesses again. They shut the curtain and spent the rest of the flight chatting.