AirTran Airways Passenger Reviews and AirTran Airways Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6

AirTran Airways Customer review :  17 April 2014 by G Bauers    (USA)

Never fly AirTran again! Very poor information and communication. Our flight out of Minneapolis was cancelled due to weather while every other airline flew as scheduled that day. AirTran didn't even try to accommodate just an oh well and it's an international flight so you will be lucky if we get you out of here within a couple days. Yes their planes are very cramped and uncomfortable and beat up.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  16 April 2014 by M Roberts    (USA)

We booked our granddaughter's flights through Southwest 4 months in advance. Their originating flight from Hartford was operated by Air Tran to Ft Myers. The early Sunday morning flights during the spring are very busy and our son and daughter-in-law arrived at the airport just 10 minutes under the two hour recommended arrival time suggested. They stood in line at the curbside check-in approx 40 minutes when they learned they could not check in for the AirTran flights at the SW check-in, they needed to go inside. Again, another long line. When it became apparent that they might miss their flight, they told their daughters to go through security and get to gate 2 by themselves (9 and 12 yrs old) with only their carry on bags. They were at their gate 10 minutes prior to departure and told they could not get on the flight. Nor could the other 40 or 50 people or so who didn't make the flight. The treatment by the Air Tran staff at the airport was poor. They were told no more flights for the day, all "sold out" and come back tomorrow for an 8am flight. I would like to know how those 40 or 50 people whom they gave the seats to, made it through security without a boarding pass. Apparently they had handed out 40 or 50 "stand-by" boarding passes, I think not. They simply over-booked and treated everyone as though they were the problem. Never, flying Air Tran again.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Wendy Stace    (USA)

Orlando to Atlanta on flight 923. Since when would you separate children from the adult they are flying with? My children are not old enough to fly by themselves so why would it be ok to have them sit by themselves on the flight? This is the worst experience I have ever had. At least when we flew Southwest and they didn't have assigned seating they made announcements to have people move so kids could stay with their parents. The lady at the gate said I should have checked in online 24 hrs in advance.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  26 March 2014 by E Beardmore    (USA)

Flew IND-ATL-CUN and had a great experience in business class. Check in at IND was confusing, though, because one employee would not let us use the business class line because we were going international, requiring a passport check, and made us go to the general line. But, we had excellent customer service once we finally got through the line. That man asked why we didn't use the business class line and after our explanation apologized for the confusion and was helpful and nice. On the aircraft, the flight attendants were very friendly and attentive. They were quick to offer a pre-flight beverage as well as prompt beverage and snack service once we were airborne and throughout the flight. The seat on the 737 was falling apart a little, but the one on the 717 was nice. The people were what made our experience, and seem to really enjoy their jobs. Great experience overall. Good value for money.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  17 March 2014 by D Surdel    (USA)

Checked in for a flight 24 hrs in advance, website would not allow printing the boarding pass. Had to call twice to Air Tran and was assured we were checked in on the flight. We were in line at the airport to have those boarding passes printed one half hour early when we were told that we had missed our flight. Even though the airport was very small and we would have easily made it aboard the flight in the 10 minutes allocated in the carriage contract for AirTran, instead our flight was cancelled and we were rescheduled for another flight 5 hrs later. This flight was rebook long before our original flight took off. In contact customer service we were treated as though we were carelessly late for our flight and we must accept those consequences. As a result of this horrible treatment we will never fly on this airline or Southwest for that matter again.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Lisa Popadowski    (USA)

My family and I flew to Orlando, leaving March 1 and returning on March 7. I will never fly AirTran again. The planes are too small there is not enough room to get through aisles. On our way back, we were delayed due to mechanical problems, but we didn't get told this until after we all boarded the planes, buckled in the car seats and had my daughter already buckled. When we arrived at Midway, stroller was not there so imagine trying to keep an eye on a 21 month old and wheel suitcases. Will never fly AirTran again.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Eric Rosenberg    (USA)

Booked two RT flights from Orange County to Mexico City with my Southwest rewards points. Had to transfer the points into A credits and after the transfer the flights still costs $175 round trip before the baggage fees. The first flight to Mexico City was delayed 45 minutes but they post on their screens "on-time" and just changed the arrival time, very suspicious. The plane was old and rickety. The seat I sat in would not stay in the take off position and I had to hold on to the seat in front of me. The seat next to me was held together with zip ties at the joint! There was no in flight entertainment. The flight crew were attentive and the inflight snacks were better than Southwest, but overall the experience was not pleasant. Return flight was even worse. The seats were tattered again, and the plane smelt musty. I would not fly with them again.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  14 February 2014 by Daniel Blooms    (USA)

Flew from Reagan National (DCA) to Louie Armstrong, NO last September on a B717. I'm 6-1 and 280 and was fairly comfortable in coach seating. I made sure we were seated in the 2x2 side and not the 3x3. The flight left and arrived on time. Otherwise the flight was uneventful. Flight staff were efficient and professional. I personally find the B717 has smoother flight characteristics than the B737's. If you are luckily seated on the 2x2 side, the B717 provides a more enjoyable flight.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  30 January 2014 by E Need    (USA)

Due to weather our flight from Punta Cana was canceled, even though there was no update when I checked the website 3hrs ahead. After arriving at the airport and finding the flight cancelled we were offered nothing but a shrug of the shoulders and tough luck from the gate agents. They wouldn't even offer a phone to call customer service to avoid international charges on my cell phone. Calling customer service is useless. After 30min I'm still waiting for someone to answer. This airline just left us stranded with no help.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  7 January 2014 by S Vittachi    (USA)

All 4 of my flights on AirTran were delayed at least one hour. My incoming flight from Punta Cana was late getting in so they delayed the flight to Los Angeles by one hour, which seemed nice. After I had to run through customs and get my bag and recheck it and then go through security again and finally arrive at my gate, they changed the flight to another terminal and it was delayed by another hour and a half. As I was boarding I hand my ticket to the staff member at the gate, I was called back and to be told my boarding pass was wrong. I had just got off a flight, with the same name on my boarding pass for my connecting flight and the same name on my passport. The lady proceeded to tell, not just me at least 10 other people, that they had to go talk to customer service before they could board the flight. This line was 10 people long and not moving. As we were standing in line the woman closed the gate and said there was nothing that could be done. As I talked to customer service, they even admitted that I should have been on my non-stop flight. It took over an hour and a half to book another flight and this consisted of 2 flights instead of 1. Thoroughly unimpressed with AirTran's service.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  3 January 2014 by R Krause    (USA)

My flight 1885 from MKE to ATL was canceled last minute. What followed was the worst customer service I have ever experienced with any airline. They offered nothing for the inconvenience we experienced! We all waited for over an hour for one of two agents. They got me on a flight tomorrow and said that was all they could do. No discount, no refund, no voucher for future travel. Only offered a partial discount on a hotel room for those who needed it. I also asked if they could help me get on a Delta flight that was headed to ATL a few hours later and they said they didn't know, then they said no they can't work with another carrier. I checked in the night before, checked my flight the day of travel, everything was fine. Bottom line: use another carrier that will actually attempt to make amends and run more efficiently when problems arise.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  14 December 2013 by P Watson    (USA)

I was late coming to the airport. Only minutes to spare. But the person checking me in outside decided it was more important to show interest in another passengers luggage than my own. Got in 7.50 on the dot. Without sympathy I was told that I was too late and the plane was closed. When asked when is the next flight, I was told 11.30 only to be informed later while boarding was in motion, it isn't guaranteed and the plane is full. The employees I dealt with were unprofessional in their mannerisms and felt the information they possessed shouldn't be shared with the public. Had me sitting in the wrong section and told me to wait. I got up to check when the section I was in began boarding only to find out, by the same people, I was in the wrong area and the flight is over booked. I will never fly with AirTran again unless its a dire situation.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  25 November 2013 by Phil Lawson    (USA)

The second I boarded the airplane, I did not like it. Not only did it feel old and grimy, it also looked disgusting. I flew into Orlando International from Midway International (Chicago) on Southwest. My Southwest experience was excellent and I will absolutely fly them again. Though their subsidiary, AirTran, is absolutely awful. The engines were so loud, I put in music and turned the volume all the way up, yet the engines still overpowered the sound of my music. I took AirTran back to Chicago because it was a bit cheaper, as well as the fact that Southwest owns them.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  8 October 2013 by S Skinner    (USA)

We purchased business class tickets which includes two checked bags per passenger at no extra charge. So between the two of us could have checked 4 bags but we only had one bag to check. On the first flight this policy was honored. On the return flight the gate agent decided that my bag was one inch too tall and I would have to pay $75. When we questioned this policy and the inconsistency, as this was not done on our first flight the other gate agent immediately picked up the phone and called her supervisor. She was exceedingly rude. Our gate agent refused to be helpful and we paid the fee and proceeded to the gate. At boarding time the original gate agent was there and apologized for his colleagues behavior, but still no refund. The next day after the flight and a long conversation with customer service a credit was finally issued begrudgingly. Will never fly AirTran again!

AirTran Airways Customer review :  1 October 2013 by S Rieck    (USA)

I will never fly AirTran again. Baltimore to Ft. Lauderdale. Make a long story short, first plane we boarded had a maintenance issue. Plane taken out of service after de-planing. New plane arrived and this one also needed maintenance. Arrived in FLL 4 hours late. Return trip home, (24 hours later): boarded the same plane that we had been on yesterday and the same maintenance issue arose. Computer board replaced and we departed 2.5 hours later. Never let us off the plane. Seats feel like sitting on a piece of plywood. One of the three toilets was out of order. Couldn't choose seats, but they were randomly generated for us at check-in and were not together.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  30 September 2013 by R Nehring    (USA)

Our trip to Pensacola was OK. However the noise level was very loud and the seating was very cramped and uncomfortable. Iif your flight is longer than 1-2 hrs or if you're taller than 5ft 9”or over 200 lbs, stay away from the Boeing 717-200! On our return to Chicago it was a different story. Plane was 20 minutes late arriving. We had 1hr 20 minutes to our connecting flight in Atlanta, the crew did their best to rush the arrival passengers off the plane and board us ASAP. However in doing so the seal around the entrance door to the plane was not properly sealed. During boarding it started raining, and rain poured into the plane. They called for a mechanic to access the damage. Another 30-40 minutes went by. Another 30-40 minutes went by. …Flight Attendants kept announcing they would be serving complimentary beverages because of the delay. Due to turbulent conditions no beverages were served. After landing we went to the Customer Service counter and stood in line for over 1hr. There were no more flights to Chicago that evening, we were booked to stay overnight at a nearby hotel. This is the first time we've flown AirTran and at this time I would not recommend it.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  6 September 2013 by N Dale    (USA)

It was our honeymoon and it was horrible! I will never fly with AirTran again. I asked if we could have a window seat and I was told we had already been assigned a seat. The seats were very small, the aircraft is obviously old and it needed to be wiped down. The return trip was even worse. Leaving from Jamaica, we stood in line for 15 minutes while staff talked amongst themselves. We were never greeted, just shouted at! We again requested window seats and were told there were none together. We were given our passes and told we needed to get through customs by 1.15, it was 1.08. Onboard we were seated in front of a kid who constantly kicked my seat and my husband had a seat that was broken so leaned back the entire time. If you are a big person in either weight or height, you will be very uncomfortable. No leg room, and if you are seated next to a big person you will be upset.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  5 September 2013 by James McIntyre    (USA)

To Minneapolis from Tampa. From Tampa: Boeing 717, very noisy cabin, none of the other 3 of the 717's were this noisy while sitting near the rear of the aircraft. Change planes in Atlanta was assigned gate D4, then over to D2, then back to D4. Staff at gate seemed disinterested in actually conveying their message. Return flight Minneapolis to Tampa: Since I had 34 mins between flights and knowing Atlanta is a large airport with multiple terminals I asked the male flight attendant if he knew which gate we would arrive and got a sarcastic reply. In Atlanta after a delay we were told to leave the plane and wait at the gate for the maintenance crew. When both pilots walked off the airplane with their luggage it deeply concerned many thinking that there would be no flight. We got no information until 10 minutes later. What I am angry about is the poor communication and the lack of professionalism. I have no further plans to fly this airline again.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  22 August 2013 by S Holloway    (USA)

Our flight out of Philadelphia connecting in Atlanta with the final destination being San Juan, PR went very well. Departed and arrived on time. It was the experience on our return flight that didn't go so well. I checked my group of 7 in the night before so we would be sitting near each other. I did not select any luggage or print out our boarding passes as I was checking-in online via my cell phone as I picked up a signal cruising past one of the Caribbean Islands. When we get to the airport and I go to print out my boarding passes for myself and my husband and saw a price of $140 for 4 pieces of luggage. I ask the counter attendant what happened and according to their system they had me checking in 6 pieces of luggage even though I selected 4. While I was working to get that resolved another couple in my group were attempting to print their boarding passes and it showed that they owed $30 for their 2 suitcases instead of $50. It appeared that the extra $20 was tacked on to my check-in which made no sense whatsoever since I only selected my name and my husbands name and 2 pieces of luggage each. We leave Puerto Rico on time and get delayed in our connecting city of Atlanta approximately half an hour even though the plane and crew were there. When we finally board in Atlanta to get back to Philadelphia we find that 3 seats were double booked and one of the 3 people affected was my mother. After about 10 minutes or so they ended up moving two other people and left my mother were she was so we could finally take off. Thankfully we all made it back home safely along with our luggage.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  16 August 2013 by M Kearney    (USA)

I booked a flight from New York to Atlanta, after spending the past two years traveling extensively around through Europe and the States, I thought this would be an easy flight. Our plane was next to take off when we were told to return back to the gate for technical issues (which were never explained). Our 6am departure was pushed back to 12pm, then 1pm, and now 2pm. Still waiting in the airport hoping we leave at some point today. Due to this 8 hour delay and being mostly kept in the dark, this will be my first and last flight with Airtran.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  12 August 2013 by J List    (USA)

Flt 504 from MCO to BOS on 8/7/2013. Originally scheduled for a 7.25pm departure. Due to equipment delays, previous flight didn't deplane until 7.45, and flight didn't take off until 8.30pm. Equipment was an old 727-200. Obvious poor maintenance (missing paint, worn fixtures/seats). One lavatory of 3 not working, for a very full aircraft. Very rowdy group of teenagers made so much noise, the safety brief was unintelligible, and the flight attendants did not address it. The seat back of the ~300 pound man sitting in front of me would not stay up during takeoff and landing, and the flight attendants did not address it during their safety checks. I sat the whole flight sideways because I had zero leg room. The seat cushion had no padding and was very uncomfortable/hard the entire flight. The attendants were confused during drink service and skipped our section of 3-4 rows for about 15 minutes while all other rows were served. I am 6'2", and have logged over 100,000 miles on various airlines. I was not impressed with the AirTran crew, the condition of the aircraft, and will not fly them again.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  6 August 2013 by P Georgaras    (USA)

We were booked on July 21st leaving BWI to Las Vegas. Get to Baltimore to find out there is a 2 hr delay which caused us to lose our connecting flight in Atlanta. Supervisors switched us over to Southwest with a connecting flight in Denver. On 7/26/13 was our red eye flight back which was a direct flight. Get to airport 2 hrs prior to our flight and "flight cancelled". One staff member said it was a technical problem. The next one said it was due to scheduling staff. Got us on another flight with Southwest for the following morning. We spent the night there. We were supposed to be on 3 AirTran flights and did not make it to even one!

AirTran Airways Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Ukulele Bob    (USA)

I am visually impaired with special needs. I flew from KRSW going to KMDW on this Ozark DC-3 aircraft, in which they should of updated this aircraft years ago by eliminating of the DC-3. and advance it up into a 737-800 (just like the Littler Southwest Robin do). The flight was bumpy, the engines were loud and it was very cold. They only served foods and drinks in the first class section only. You have to bring your own with you on board. Other than that, everything else was fair.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  25 July 2013 by Chris Walhting    (USA)

California to Georgia. Even while ordering boarding passes months in advanced me and my family were sat in the back. Service was okay, yet there seemed to be a hint of displeasure from the staff. I would not blame them. Either way it was awful, so I will never recommend.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  22 July 2013 by L Salitore    (USA)

Chicago to Cancun on 6/30/13. Flight delayed on take off because someone got on the plane with an expired passport. How did that get through 3 checkpoints I will never know. Sent email to AirTran and their response was "mistakes happen". Delayed 2.5 hours. Unload the luggage, change the passenger manifest, wait for a take off. No flight credit, no freebies on the flight. But we got there safely.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  18 July 2013 by D Meshil    (USA)

Atlanta to West Palm Beach yesterday. Our flight was delayed from 9pm until 11.20pm. The gate attendant was incredibly rude, never have I had an attendant be as dismissive as this woman. She responded to everyone with a snarky attitude. Not only were we offered no voucher of any kind (no food or drink voucher, nor a coupon for a future flight), but we weren't even given an apology. I will never fly AirTran again!

AirTran Airways Customer review :  15 July 2013 by M Hess    (USA)

I fly this airline quite frequently between FLL and BWI and have had nothing but a good experience! The staff have always been friendly and accommodating.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  9 July 2013 by K Sparks    (USA)

We flew to Boston for the July 4th festivities. Tickets were complimentary due to a cancelled flight last year. Flight out wasn't bad. On the return trip the flight was delayed, so our 2 hr layover in Atlanta turned into thinking we were missing our connecting flight. We rushed to the desk to get information and the 2 "ladies" at the desk were so engrossed in their personal conversation, they apparently didn't have time to care about their customers concerns. I waved my hand to get their attention.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  4 July 2013 by N Zinberg    (USA)

PHL-PBI return. Planes themselves have issues. On flight down, water kept pouring over passengers to point where paper towels were put into vents all over plane. Plane's computer system broke before takeoff causing delay. Seats become hard as rocks for anything over 2 hours. Flight crew were rude as people complained about them. On return, had trouble starting plane - another delay. My seatback would not stay in place. Window shades kept falling down. On positive side, pilots were very informative both ways and attendants on return flight were very pleasant. Big plus-WIFI on board.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  4 July 2013 by K Austin    (USA)

June 30, 2013 from Orlando to Columbus OH - Flight 5502. This plane ride was one of the most uncomfortable I've taken (frequent traveler for 18 years). The cloth seats are scratchy when wearing shorts, the rows are so close to each other that the 6'2" tall man sitting in the aisle seat in my row was cramped in the seat - especially when the person in front of him put the seat back its two inches - and, most importantly to me, the plane was extremely cold due to the air conditioning. I won't travel AirTran again unless there is no other plane that will take me where I need to travel. However, the flight attendants were knowledgeable and nice!

AirTran Airways Customer review :  2 July 2013 by Julie Peila    (USA)

I flew from Philadelphia to San Antonio and back. Check in was easy, the staff was friendly and the planes arrived early! Like all airlines, the economy seating is tight on leg room. I could barely get my carry on bag onto the floor so I could put it under the seat and getting it out was very difficult as well. Otherwise, all went very smoothly with no problems.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  24 June 2013 by K Kanavos    (USA)

Punta Cana to Chicago, a 4.5 hour flight. After sitting in a non air-conditioned airport we were ushered onto an non air-conditioned plane (took 2 hours into the flight for the a/c to properly work). Took over an hour to get moving because AirTran had booked multiple passengers for the same seat! After that was finally sorted we headed for take off, but didn't take off, made a giant circle and went back to the gate. After sitting at the gate the captain comes on and informs us that we had returned to pick up one passenger. Never have I heard of a plane going back to the gate for anyone. After she boarded, we hit another roadblock-counting. They had to count us again. They made 8+ passes through the cabin to count us. 3 hours after our original departure time, we took off. Took 2 hours for them to start the drink service. After we finally got our warm drinks it took them almost another 2 hours to make a second pass through the cabin. The customer service (or lack thereof) is appalling.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  24 June 2013 by M Brazil    (USA)

Flight 787 and 256, departure date 6/18, return date 6/2, Detroit to Orlando. I have traveled with AirTran several times, the most recent time was the best ever! Our departing flight and arrival flight boarded quickly, took off on time, and made our destination early or on time! Really, what more can you ask for? The flight attendants were very kind and efficient. This was one of the best flying experiences I have had to date.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  12 June 2013 by P Harris    (USA)

Supposed to board at 7.05pm in Memphis, TN and was not able to board until 9pm. Missed our connecting flight in Atlanta, luckily our plane waited so we could actually get to Orlando! On our return, we go back to Orlando airport and our 8am flight was delayed until 12.30pm and instead of catching the 9.55am flight in Atlanta I'm sitting here waiting on the 5pm flight to begin boarding. I never agreed to a 4 hour layover. So far no discounts, partial refunds, or food vouchers have been offered to us.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  10 June 2013 by A Relly    (USA)

Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale, FL scheduled to depart at 1.10. Everyone boarded 15 minutes late. Once onboard we were asked to deboard because of weather in Fort Lauderdale. Every 30 minutes AirTran delays the flight 30 minutes so we can't have a certain departure time. 2 hours into the delay we notice that there's a 4pm flight to Fort Lauderdale and it's on time and no problems. Asked the desk attendant and she looks it up and finds out that we are delayed because we don't have a flight attendant not because weather. There was no customer service helping us with the delays and no one got food vouchers. At 5.15 we get news that we can board. We sat for 45 minutes, finally took off at 6pm. Cabin crew very nice and professional. After backups in Fort Lauderdale we get there at 8 to find they have a ground stop on all planes there. End up sitting on the taxiway for 1 hour. Can't get to any gates because none were available. Finally get to a gate where we get off at 9.07. Wait 45 minutes to get all bags and finally get to our hotel at 10.15. I would not recommend AirTran to anyone.

AirTran Airways Customer review :  3 June 2013 by Amanda Tobin    (USA)

Recently flew round-trip Buffalo, NY to Houston, TX. Kiosks were down in both Buffalo and Houston. Customer service was horrific. Customer service representatives were incredibly rude, especially in Houston. They were barking at customers. After giving me attitude for standing in the wrong line, I had to stand there for quite a few minutes while the woman just stood there using her cell phone. Seats are very uncomfortable. On the plane, flight attendants were impossible to catch the attention of. Two kids were sitting behind me while their parents were a few rows up. They were kicking the seats the entire flight. After telling them to quieten down myself, the flight attendant did nothing about it.

1 2 3 4 5 6

AIRTRAN AIRWAYS REVIEW AirTran Airways reviews passenger opinions Air Tran Airways reviews