AirAsia X Passenger Reviews and AirAsia X Customer Trip Reports

AIRASIA X customer review :  13 August 2010 by N Tay    (Singapore)

Standard

KUL-TPE return, A330-300 for both legs. Pleasant flight generally with lovely and helpful flight attendants. Inflight meal was good, nothing much to complain about. Pity that this airline is being let down by a very poor airport infrastructure at the LCCT.

AIRASIA X customer review :  10 August 2010 by R George    (Australia)

XLSeat

PER-KUL-PER on new A330-300 in Premium Economy. Did not have high expectations but the airline and product surprised me. The lie flat seat is comfortable and I was able to get some sleep. The crew seemed to love their job, answered call bells quickly and with a smile. The meal (Nasi Lemak on both legs) was fine. Be good if they had a western breakfast option for an 0700 departure. Don't get me wrong, I love Malay food but the western option was smokey BBQ chicken - more suited to lunch or dinner. I would fly them again. Great value for money. The seat alone is worth it if you are happy with no frills on the meals and beverage.

AIRASIA X customer review :  3 August 2010 by A McCoo    (UK)

STN to KUL return. Flights on time and check-in and ground services satisfactory. The flight attendants were smiling and helpful. All extras must be either prebooked or purchased onboard but I found prices fair and reasonable. The food was neither better or worse than most other carriers. One problem, the seats are very narrow. They have 9 seats across (3x3x3) in an A340 and they have reduced the heights of these seats to give the impression that they are wider than they are. The outcome - you need to be very friendly with your neighbour. That being said if they keep their prices below their competitors I will certainly use them again.

AIRASIA X customer review :  13 July 2010 by A Busk    (Australia)

Standard

MEL-KUL-HKT return. Value for money, flights on time and for a budget airline great cabin service. We prepaid for meals, seats and comfort kit. Meals were fine, we ordered a kids meal for our 12 year old on the long haul flights and they came as good as any full service airline. Good Australian wine RM 18 (AUD $6) available. Seats recline to a comfortable level. I have flown economy and business on full service carriers and would have no hesitation booking AirAsiaX again for our next holiday.

AIRASIA X customer review :  1 July 2010 by D Walker    (Australia)

Standard

Gold Coast-KUL. Full flight but lucky to have a spare seat next to me. Crew were nice and busy throughout the flight. I did notice that the prices are more expensive from the Oz end then flying from KL, you can however take your own food on board. Legroom the same as legacy airlines. Online check in didn't seem to work. LCCT in KUL can be busy if 3 or more flights arrive at same time.

AIRASIA X customer review :  29 June 2010 by Kevin Barrance    (UK)

XL Seat

STN to KUL return on the new lie flat seats - on the outward leg the seat was broken although they offered to refund the cost of the outward leg. Return journey was comfortable. Disappointed with the portable e-player though. I feel the content could be better than a couple of films and several tacky US comedies. On the return journey I watched films on my laptop. Pre-booked food quality was OK but everything else had to be paid for although prices were reasonable. The lack of entertainment on board is the main drawback for AirAsia X although the new premium seats are as good as many full fare carriers and using Stansted rather than Heathrow a definite bonus.

AIRASIA X customer review :  11 June 2010 by S Ferris    (Australia)

Gold Coast-Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok then ChiangMai return. Plane was new. Our flight back to the Gold Coast from KL was cancelled - my husband was home in Australia and received a phone call regarding the cancellation. We were able to contact the airline in Thailand and confirm the changed flight. All went well. The staff aboard were very helpful. One of us was not well on the flight over and was upgraded. Only thing I would recommend is to book your extra luggage and meals. Meals were ok. I would be make sure you take a jumper and socks as it gets very cold on board.

AIRASIA X customer review :  10 June 2010 by Francis Lee    (Malaysia)

Standard

The last time I flew on AirAsia X, it was on their A330-300 aircraft with awful non-reclining seats. I took AirAsi X to Taipei return in May 2010 and flights were aircraft with new, reclining seats. These are vastly superior as I did not feel cramped. I used AirAsia web check in to secure relatively good seats (did not pre-book seats) on Row 11. Baggage drop off was simple at the Kuala Lumpur Low Cost Terminal. Check in on the return flight at the Taoyuan Airport was more chaotic as they did not have any baggage drop off counter for web check ins. Taipei check in procedures are not compliant with AirAsia X's normal procedures as detailed on the web check in boarding pass - timings were about 30 minutes later than stated. Both flights on time. Compared to my previous experience, AirAsia X has improved. I paid about RM 325 (US$100) for the return flight with 15 kg baggage and pre-booked meals on both flights. This is excellent value for money.

AIRASIA X customer review :  8 June 2010 by Mel Kelly    (Australia)

Standard

We travelled Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpur, to Hong Kong, back to Penang then Kuala Lumpur returning home to Gold Coast. Overall the flight and service was very surprising. We ensured that all meals and baggage was pre-booked, flights were fantastic, staff very friendly and planes were better than expected. Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpar was delayed 4hrs due to weather, all passengers provided with Drink and meal vouchers. Considering this is budget airline, this service was very unexpected and much appreciated. Seats are a little small, however found them not too bad.

AIRASIA X customer review :  2 May 2010 by David Worsfold    (UK)

XL Seat

STN-KUL return, our first trip with Air Asia X, in the premium/business seats. Easy to check in at both airports, inflight service was excellent. We do not mind getting less food and no free drinks/ inflight entertainment, as on a 13/14 hour flight it is the seats that are important. Great value for money.

AIRASIA X customer review :  21 April 2010 by James Howard    (Australia)

XL Seat

KL from OOL return. All I can say about this airline is that you get what you pay for. They do not give good service and they really couldn't give a stuff about me in KL. LCCT in KL is not a very nice place to stay at, unfortunately I had booked a room at Tune Hotel for 2 days when I went over - even worse I booked it for 3 days on my return to KL - man what a mistake that was. I would advise anyone to spend the extra few hundred dollars and fly a full service airline. I booked the XL seats, they were a waste, small and uncomfortable.

AIRASIA X customer review :  19 April 2010 by W Wouter    (Netherlands)

Standard

We flew with Air Asia X from KUL to COO beginning of April. It was a new A330-300, the seats were terrible! The width of the seats is at least 5-10cm less compared to other airlines. The seat pitch was reasonable for a budget airline. However, the seats could not recline besides the sliding option, and the seat cushioning was terrible. I read that Air Asia X has received many complaints on the seats and will replace their non-reclining seats by "regular" seats. However if regular airlines are slightly more expensive I will choose them! Pre-ordered food was worst I ever had. Make sure you get something to eat prior to boarding! (or take food with you!) However, drinks are reasonably priced and inflight entertainment is also OK.

AIRASIA X customer review :  19 April 2010 by C Steer    (UK)

Standard

STN-KUL-STN. We flew out 2355 departure from Stansted - check-in efficient and flight only a little late in departing. We were preboarded as we had children under 12 with us. The seats were comfortable, ample leg room. We chose not to have prebooked meals but snacks were reasonably priced and bottles of water less than 50p. We booked the flights during a sale in June 2009 and paid just over 200 each return - amazing value for money, particularly over Easter school holidays. The return flight from KL equally good but less easy to sleep due to other passengers talking/reading. The staff were pleasant and helpful. We also took internal flights to Penang from KL - on time and efficient. On the way out we stayed overnight at the Tune Hotel at the LCCT which was very convenient - a minute away by shuttle bus and easy to get back to the terminal early the next morning. All in all, a great cheap way of taking the family away for Easter.

AIRASIA X customer review :  7 April 2010 by Tyler Thia    (Singapore)

Standard

SIN-KL-TJN return. A333 equipped with new reclinable new seats, fantastic legroom. Previously, the awful black seats only slide forward, had individual casing that housed the IFE screen which was a nuisance, and legroom was pathetic. Although still 3-3-3 configuration, the slim- line seats felt roomy. Had 3 seats to myself both ways.

AIRASIA X customer review :  19 March 2010 by R Mustoe    (UK)

Standard

Reading previous reviews I think I must have been either very unfortunate or else travelled on a different Airline. I've used Air Asia to travel around S E Asia for the past 4 years and on every single occasion my decision was made on the basis of cost. I've found Air Asia to be uncomfortable and unreliable so wasn't expecting much when I boarded a flight for Stansted from KL back in September 09 - and I was right not to. The plane was new but 50% of the seats seemed falling apart, in particular the headrest cushions seemed to have developed a habit of detaching themselves from the rest of the seat. I found the 'slide mechanism' of the lower cushion that acts on AirAsia X flights as a seat recline totally useless making it the most uncomfortable seat I've sat in. On the 2 occasions that the precooked and paid for food turned up I couldn't eat a scrap. I couldn't even give the second serving away to my fellow passengers! At the end of the trip I paid more than if I'd used Thai International or Eva Air to Heathrow. The return trip in January was no better, the plane new like the first, but the headrests still kept falling off, food hadn't improved and there was no more room. On nether of the flights were announcements concerning safety etc remotely audible and I just wonder how the airline has managed to pass the required safety standards. Trips not to be repeated, neither cheap nor comfortable and for me two the worst flying experiences of 35 years. In my book they score minus 5!

AIRASIA X customer review :  4 March 2010 by Paul Keohane    (Malaysia)

Standard

Most recently, my wife and I were stranded in Abu Dhabi when AirAsiaX announced they were canceling service to/from Abu Dhabi in January this year. They didn’t notify us, their stranded passengers, until Feb 10th. Neither did they offer any accommodation nor answer our emails asking for help. We had to get back to Malaysia on our own. They won’t reimburse our additional expenses either. They said they would refund the Abu Dhabi/Kuala Lumpur portion of our trip, but it will take them 30-50 days to process the refund. Such an attitude! Watch out for these guys. If you are considering booking AirAsiaX, it might be a good idea to develop a plan B - just in case.

AIRASIA X customer review :  28 February 2010 by Vince Tee    (Australia)

Standard

KUL to MEL. Check-in at LCCT was a breeze but lack of Duty Free shops at midnight was a minus. A330-330 nicely cushioned seats. Crews professional and friendly. But it seemed that AirAsia X will remove its on-seat TV and replace with portable E-player. Unfortunately, not a single E- player was available on that flight and no reason was given. Food choice limited. Liked the idea of paying more to get 30kg baggage allowance.

AIRASIA X customer review :  18 February 2010 by Adnan Mir   (Australia)

Standard

MEL-KUL Return. I initially paid $730 for the ticket but with the additional extra kgs and meals ticket price was close to $850, not that different price wise with MAS. Aircraft was new and clean seats and infotainment on each seats with USB, food was delicious and service was good. MEL-KUL older A330 aircraft with no infotainment, service generally good. Would fly again if price was cheap - happy to fly MAS or Emirates at a slightly premium price.

AIRASIA X customer review :  5 February 2010 by Steve Dee   (UK)

Standard

London to KL on AirAsia. Night flight out so slept fair bit. Booked extra leg room seat - worth it for the low cost. That said if the extra leg room is the 2 middle seats behind bulkhead, not so good. Also the left hand seat to bulkhead is next to the entrance to the staff rest area so if you are spread out, and asleep, they will wake you to get in if necessary. Plane was older and the seats we had didn't retain much back support. Service ok. Its a flight at base cost after all. Return with same leg room seats. Day flight which always seems longer. Took the Malaysian meal package - great value decent food (less than 2) for 2 dishes and 2 small bottles of water. I would travel again. Also flew internally KL-Phuket, newer planes, great service. They fly to KLIA LCCT terminal which is not the main international KLIA terminal. If getting a connection next day, again with Air Asia, they use exclusively LCCT and hotels generally advertised are at the international KLIA, a 25 min 10 drive in a taxi (pan Pacific, Concord etc). Try Tunes hotel directly opposite LCCT, on web, cheap good clean, like ibis etc.

AIRASIA X customer review :  5 February 2010 by A Lindau   (Switzerland)

Standard

KUL-STN: Comfortable seats, delicious food (as always with Air Asia) and a bigger legroom than many other carriers! At this price, Air Asia X is a great deal indeed. Just bring enough books/magazines/etc as there is no entertainment on board.

AIRASIA X customer review :  3 February 2010 by Murphy Bong   (Australia)

Standard

KUL-MEL Pre-booked exit row 15 for a fee. First impressions were good. My seat had ample legroom. However, the flight deteriorated and got tedious. Cabin crew were unprofessional, could hear them talking in the galley with their crew curtain shut. They disappeared partially in the flight, and recline was non-existing, only glide. I also found the XCite touchscreen irritating. Online chat feature had a glitch that kept jumping the messages back to the top, and touchscreen sensitivity was very inferior. Overall, Air Asia provides value for their cheap flights, and would recommend it only if fare is cheap.

AIRASIA X customer review :  29 January 2010 by R Howe   (UK)

Standard

STN-KUL-STN on a clearly older aircraft - seats generally comfortable (row 13, pre-booked both ways). Both flights on time (return arrived early). Check-in ok at both airports (impressed with LCCT - fast security, passport control etc and luggage arrived very quickly). Pre-booked meals were reasonable and pretty good value. Cup of coffee for 5RM was reasonable and a decent size. Cabin crew friendly and attentive and very well presented. Cabin temperature fine and toilets clean. Pretty full outward flight, less busy on return. Impressed for the money - booked 10 months in advance for lowest price.

AIRASIA X customer review :  19 January 2010 by S Miller   (UK)

Standard

STN-KUL on Air Asia "Oakland Raider" aircraft. Our window seats row 16 were dreadful, no padding, we were sitting on metal. Headrests fell off, tray in front would fall open when the passenger in front moved and as you can imagine, not very good when sleeping. Food okay. the portable entertainment things were okay, kept you distracted on a long flight. I don't believe all seats were as bad as ours. I spoke to Air Asia who say that they would be refurbishing this aircraft. Can anyone suggest a row which the seats were okay? I only know to avoid row 16. I have also travelled many times with Air Asia on the smaller flights were the service was great and have no other complaints.

AIRASIA X customer review :  14 January 2010 by Ben Walker   (UK)

Standard

STN-KUL-PER return. For the price we paid for December travel it was a bargain. Oldish ex Air Canada airbus on STD to KL route with no seat back IFE. E-players OK but limited choice. Take a good book. Asian food not great from Stansted but better on all other legs. Under 45 minutes to reclaim bags, go through immigration and check in again at KL. Much better than expected. New Airbus KL to Perth with in seat IFE at a minimal cost. All in all apart from the lack of free drinks, food and IFE everything was much the same as a full service airline.