Air New Zealand Passenger Reviews and Air New Zealand Customer Trip reports

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 September 2013 by J Kaplan    (USA)

Wonderful service, accommodation and staff throughout my journey from LAX-AKL. The VIP lounges are excellent and well stocked and the Premier Business class seats are the best lay flat seats I've travelled in. Wonderful meals and wine selections too! Koru Club in AKL is huge and has plenty of room to stretch out and drink/eat.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  30 September 2013 by R Connett    (New Zealand)

AKL-LAX-AKL in September. Economy class outward and Business Class inward. My high rating reflects the stellar service and quality of the product in Business class, its on a different planet to Economy Class. I snared an exit row seat at a $75 premium on the outward journey. There was plenty of leg room, but the width of the seats seems like it is decreasing every time I'm on one of their 777-300's. Luckily I was on good terms with my neighbour. The night time trip down to the toilets is a nightmare, having to manoeuvre your way through this obstacle course of legs, blankets, headphone cables in the aisles. I dread the day when the 747-400s are retired and the 777-300s are the only way to get to the US. Returning home in business class, you were in a different world, luxury, space and privacy is the epitome of what this award winning airline does very well. The only thing that drops this review from a 10 to a 9 was the fiasco at LAX just before the plane departed when the ground crew decided everyone needed to have their cabin baggage weighed. It was a fiasco and yes I agree, cabin baggage size and quantity needs to be monitored closely, but the manner in which this exercise was performed at the departure gate, in particular by one of the two ground staff, it really was unprofessional.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 September 2013 by E Johnson    (UK)

We flew economy from Auckland to Perth. Without doubt the worst airline we have flown. Arrived at 4am for our 6am flight and were unable to check in on the self check in machines. We spoke with a member of staff and told them our problem, his response was "yep that's cause your flights been cancelled." No further words, no help, nothing! We hadn't even been contacted. Eventually we managed to get out of him that we to go speak to someone at the customer service desk. The customer service desk then sent us to Qantas as they had booked us on another flight to Perth. Their check-in had already closed, we had to head back to customer service who after 20 minutes booked us on a flight at 2pm and gave us a couple of food vouchers. We then went to check in and were told we had to pay for our baggage-the flight cost nearly $700 each so why do I have to then pay $80 for baggage! Also told that if we wanted any food we had to pay for it even though it was included on our journey from Perth. We were extremely angry about the way Air New Zealand staff had treated us and it completely ruined our trip to Perth. I will definitely not book through them again and in future will be going with a decent airline like Qantas who can't do enough for you.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  26 September 2013 by Ken Duffin    (New Zealand)

HKG - AKL, 17th Sep 2013, Business Class. I was very impressed with this flight. The 777 lie-flat beds are extremely good and they actually make them up like a real bed. Food was excellent, and the cabin crew attention was about as good as you could get. I fly NZ - UK return relatively frequently and this is one of the best flight legs I've ever had. I would use this again no hesitation.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  19 September 2013 by S Wilson    (UK)

AKL-LAX-LHR in premium economy on Boeing 777-300 with the relatively new Spaceseats. I have flown NZ many times in long haul, but this was my first trip in the new Spaceseats, and I was pleasantly surprised. On the first leg I was in the front row, seat 23A (window) and 30E (middle section aisle) and found the seats private, comfortable and with a great deal of width that surpasses any other premium economy on the market (this is a 2-2-2 configuration where other airlines have 2-4-2 in this class). The fixed shell seats mean there is no encroachment from any seat in front, and the staggered design means the person next to you is not intrusive. The recline is a bid fiddly, but once you get used to it, is fine, with a decent sized pillow, blanket and a beanbag for footrest. I found it better to get my cabin bag down after takeoff, place it on the floor and put the beanbag on top for a serious leg rest, but it was easy to turn to one side resting the head against the shell of the seat and get some sleep. Food and beverage service is very much Business-lite, not economy plus, with good quality main courses, decent drinks service and all at a level that makes you feel it is much more premium than economy. The cabin itself was quiet, it helps that all seats except the windows have direct aisle access. Of course it is far removed from Business in that it is not a flat bed, and the food/beverage service for that has a bit more choice and other touches, but it is a world away from being crammed together like cattle in economy class. All in all, it made this ultra long haul route tolerable and reasonably pleasant (with a decent, although not outstanding inflight entertainment system, let down by fewer choices than there once were on NZ). It shows other airlines what premium economy can be like, although I'll admit the fare reflected this.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  16 September 2013 by John Kneijber    (Australia)

Travelled AKL-PPT on B767-300 and PPT-AKL on B747-400. Awarded recognition upgrades to business class in both directions so for us it was great value. Seating on the B747 very comfortable in the herringbone configuration. Standard recliner seats with 2x2x2 layout on B767 is ok for 5 hours but seats are too narrow. Excellent cabin crew and service as always, but catering appears to have dropped of recently. Always a great selection of beverages but food offerings just average lately. Entertainment options also not that great with limited new release films. Contract lounge in Papeete is pathetic and almost not worth the effort. Still our preferred airline as great crew compensate for the other shortcomings. Will be glad to see the B767 retired when the B787 comes into the fleet. Will be travelling to LAX next year on B777-300 and will be interested to see if catering is any better.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  11 September 2013 by S Nakashima    (USA)

Used Air New Zealand from Honolulu to Auckland, then Auckland to Cairns, Aug 23 and Aug 24, and Cairns to Auckland and Auckland to Los Angeles, Aug 30. Had a very good impression of the company until the last leg of the trip from Auckland to LA, when we were informed that 2 of our 3 confirmed seats were given to other passengers. At first the ANZ associate didn't mind separating our family, eventually accommodated us together in another row. Uuncertain if we would fly ANZ again.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  6 September 2013 by J Williams    (Australia)

MEL-AKL-NSN-AKL-MEL, August 2013. Trans-Tasman seats A330 far too tightly spaced, eating meal is an uncomfortable process, cabin service and food offered both OK. Control over cabin baggage size and quantity on return flight was hopeless with many passengers highly irritated by inability to find space. Self check-in and baggage deposit an affront. Will I be required to clean my cabin area next? Domestic flights OK. I will be back to Emirates for Trans-Tasman.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  5 September 2013 by Steve Robinson    (Australia)

Flew premium economy from Auckland to LAX. Premium check in nice but no lounge access of course, maybe that could be an extra purchase option? Anyway the seat was roomy and way better than any economy seat I've had. They sit at a funny angle and while comfortable it seemed a bit odd. Food and drink was good, cabin service very good and having flown business class few times with them its close to what the Bus class gets in that regard. Overall I think its great value for money given what you get.

Business class, Auckland to LAX twice in the last 3 months also once in Premium economy. Flight time of 12-13 hours is not bad for such a long haul across the pacific. Cabin crew are generally very good, have struck few that seem pre occupied but overall they are very good. The lay flat beds are great. The fare seems to jump around a fair bit and can vary by up to $1000 for each one way leg. The 777-300 is well kept and tidy. The cabin lights at night are a pain, they are yellow and bit too bright. I always get the centre row as it quieter. Food fine for business class. Snack bar available during the night. The inflight entertainment can be bit limited but generally enough to fill in the flight. Having done the trip a number times with different airlines in my opinion its one of the best airlines for the trip taking into account service, equipment and ticket cost. The real winner is the lay flat beds with doona and mattress. Only really negative aspect is the long connection times to Australia and the Auckland lounge is a bit tired and limited in what food they offer.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  3 September 2013 by L Zhuravsky    (New Zealand)

We took NZ2 Auckland-LAX-LHR and 3 weeks later, NZ 288, Shanghai-Auckland. Everything was excellent: great landings, food and inflight entertainment.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  29 August 2013 by T Mandrake    (Australia)

We flew business class from Perth to Auckland 18 July 2013. We were very disappointed to discover that they had changed the plane and that the promised lie-flat seats were not available on the plane. It was just the standard business class recliners. We were offered a partial refund, but I just didn't think that was good enough. We specifically booked lie-flat because it was an overnight flight - if we had known that could not be delivered we would have chosen a different airline. I just don't think it's acceptable to do the bait and switch when a customer pays top dollar for a premium service.

Air New Zealand Customer review :  28 August 2013 by J Butt    (Australia)

Our plane from Sydney was diverted, due to fog, from landing at Christchurch to land in Auckland, where we landed approx 1.30am. All good re flight but Air NZ customer service certainly slipped once they had this unexpected event on their hands. We were placed in an excellent hotel but the information we were given by staff when we landed and by staff at the airport the next day was all different and mostly incorrect. My comment to those reading this, if something goes wrong with your flight with Air NZ, don't ring (you wont be answered for a long time), go straight to the person in charge at the information desk as soon as possible, get the information and don't listen to any other staff!